opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 02. Eulogy
User Name
Password
Old 07-24-2003, 12:33 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
bill hicks is eulogy

the song eulogy is about bill hicks...all he was , was a comidian, with alot of nothing to say. but if u listened he actually had alot to say and i think tool liked his stuff alot...kinda on the same brain wave. so i think that they wrote this song with him in mind after his death from cancer and thats that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 87
Re: bill hicks is eulogy

could be...... wonder who is that voice on third eye?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

shit i never thought of that. nice job, that might just be it. and the voice on third eye in the beginning is bill hicks, one of his comedy routines. nice job kreton ^_^
Old 04-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Bill Hicks: Another Dead Hero
Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreton420
the song eulogy is about bill hicks...all he was , was a comidian, with alot of nothing to say. but if u listened he actually had alot to say and i think tool liked his stuff alot...kinda on the same brain wave. so i think that they wrote this song with him in mind after his death from cancer and thats that.
There's one problem I have with this theory: They actually *liked* Bill Hicks.

With that in mind, why would they call him a, "fool martyr"? Eulogy, IMHO, has a very negative tone to its lyrics, and I have a lot of reservations with beliving this is about Bill Hicks.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2912

Damn, I hella remember when this thread got started. It's a really stupid thread, and I wish the person who started it was still around so I could flame them.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

This song is not about anyone. This song is about your ego. Crucifying it. This song is one of the first steps in finding yourself, and opening your third eye.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
This song is not about anyone. This song is about your ego. Crucifying it. This song is one of the first steps in finding yourself, and opening your third eye.

t3h d33p.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 830

I also matched up Eulogy with the whole Kurt Cobain theory. Mcpheezy .. ive never really thought about it as being about your ego but now that I think about it it makes a lot of since. Cool shit.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #10
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
[...] This song is about your ego. Crucifying it. [...]
This isn't the Reflection forum.

Sorry.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

explain your theory on the 'ego'
Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Ashes
Mcpheezy .. ive never really thought about it as being about your ego but now that I think about it it makes a lot of since.

Ok.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

If you want to know what the song Eulogy is abaout watch THe last temptation of Christ alright ;)
Old 04-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman
If you want to know what the song Eulogy is abaout watch THe last temptation of Christ alright ;)

I've read the fucking book. What's the connection?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

TOOL repeats the same thing, more openly in reflection. This song, when it says "we need the fucking space, to nail the next fool martyr." lt's talking some-what about the same thing. Crucification of your ego.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:45 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

a martyr is someone who would rather die than give up their religion, if they are that strong about it. its something to really respect, but it is foolish, like maynard says.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:13 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAiDEN-CHaKRa
a martyr is someone who would rather die than give up their religion, if they are that strong about it. its something to really respect, but it is foolish, like maynard says.
I don't think that it is necessarily a religion that they aren't willing to give up. They aren't willing to give up their beliefs, they aren't willing to put themselves in a place where they have to believe something contrary to what their mind is telling them to believe.

P.S. anyone who can vote, vote against Bush
Old 08-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 9

Mr pudding I agree. Yeah, the first time I heard MY FAVOURITE TOOL SONG OF ALL TIME Eulogy, I knew it was about Hicks, even then when I hadn`t actually seen any of Hicks at all. After watching loads of Hicks live performances, including his last, he became my non-fiction hero, (all my previous heros being modelled on cool anime characters HO HO HO! and Martin luther king when I was very small...) The point is, Hicks was about truth and fixing the human race. BUT it took him, and him only to tell people these truths through the medium of comedy. AND FUCK! I bet most of the people in the audience who actually believed him got either depressed, revelated or turned up the defence on their ability to ignore the evils of the world. Anyway, Id be surprised if the song isn`t about him and give me proof NOW!
Old 08-17-2004, 03:16 AM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19

I was never a fan of the Hicks:Eulogy connection, but lately I have seen more of a connection after reading some interviews, and the letter Hicks wrote to CBS after his performance being banned due to the number of "hot-spots" in his set. But I think the song may relate moreso to the corporate organisation; that is, CBS, as the main agent, bearing in mind the "herd" (or dumbfounded dipshits) which just follow suit. (btw, it was interesting to note that CBS had contracted a Pro-Life advertising campaign during the period of Hicks show being cut............now, what were those hot-spots again???......HHmmmmm)

I would have to say that all Tool songs have their layers, and this one is no exception, so the buck certainly doesn't stop here. But in my mind, it seems more plausible when viewed from this angle, rather than it being purely about Bill Hicks and what he had to say. Also, it runs well from Stinkfist.....

The obvious sarcasm throughout the song can be seen as Tools way of dealing with those particular people (organisations) who just didnt "get it".

I dont know if that made much sense...sorry...

Take care,
Andy
Old 08-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

The first time I heard this tune I thought it was about Bill Hicks. The more I thought about it, the more I pushed myself away from that, because yeah, as Mr. Brightwell explained, they LIKED Bill Hicks. "Get off your fucking cross. We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr," implying that Hicks was a "fool martyr" Doesn't sound like something that would be in reference the band's favorite comedian.
Then again, the tone of the song is highly sarcastic, so one can't be sure. I think of it like this, however:

"So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."

I relate it like the musical "Chicago." The woman becomes really popular and is all over the press and has a highly publicized trial and all that, but right after the trial (crucifixion), no one gives a shit anymore, and they run off to the next flavor of the week. It also seems to be a commentary about how people need a scapegoat to place all their problems (sins) on rather than taking responsibility for them. The end of the song seems to touch on the desire for instant gratification. You know, the first guy is gone, we need someone else to follow! Of course, Maynard uses an obviously Christian theme as a metaphor to voice his thoughts.
You can read into it however you like, obviously, and I'm sure everyone in the band likes to see that we're all still discussing a song that was written nearly ten years ago.

That said, this song kicks ass.
-zach-
Old 08-17-2004, 02:27 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

well, another theory i have read says that it is probable that maynard wrote this song as an angry mourning of bill hicks death. a quote "...it is written in anger at Hicks' sudden departure from Maynards life." In other words maynard could've been in denial when he wrote this song..

of course i think the ego theory makes the most sense. but the theory posted above should also be considerated

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: