opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #41
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1
Re: April 27/28 2013 - Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dark Flame View Post
Does Justin have a twitter and is it verified?
https://twitter.com/JustinC_Tool
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoremoans View Post
I agree with you almost 100%. Except I'd say he gave it his all through all of the Lateralus tour as well. 2001-2002. Even in some of the earlier shows from the 10,000 tour he had the same passion. I know age takes a toll on his vocal chords and he tries to preserve them by omitting certain parts of songs that are very demanding, I get all that. There's something more than that though. Almost seems like he feels obligated to the other 3 guys to keep the TOOL thing going. I've been to many TOOL shows since 1996 and the bands playing only gets better. These Melbourne shows proved that...very tight playing by Justin, Adam, and Danny. I'm not complaining about MJK...as long as we get to hear the music I'm cool with it. Do what you gotta do Maynard. Was cool to see Opiate back in the mix, figured the chance would be good what with the reissue and all. (got v5 and v3)

P.S. I'd be VERY surprised if they ever include songs like "eulogy" and "the grudge" in a TOOL set list ever again...although I'd still love to hear them even if Maynard left out some of the more taxing vocal parts.

I'm tellin' ya, he changed after his mom passed away.
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

I thought it was a good night, though its my second time seeing them. Last time I was right up the front against the barrier (BDO 2011), whereas this time I was in the seating.

I think the show has alot more energy right up the front, as you can see everyone else behind you just standing/sitting there not moving. Most of the people around me didnt even nod their head or anything with the music, they just sat there. Each to their own I guess.

I really liked the setlist, and was wondering what the intro they did into Schism was? Could it be new material? It went for a good few minutes and sounded REALLY good, and different.
I also thought they were going to start with Third Eye when the heart beat first started, still hanging out to go to a show where they open with that.
Do they even do that anymore?

All the effects and videos were amazing (I missed out on them at BDO because of my barrier position), it was funny seeing everyone in standing looking in the opposite direction to the band for a good 30+ seconds.
They started off with just white lights and slowly added more effects in with each song, so it left me wanting to see a show where they used all of the effects more.

Nice powerful songs to finish. Standing ovation at the end, and the band really seem to appreciate that.

Bit disappointed Maynard doesnt belt out the songs like on the albums, but its to be expected with age. Im just disappointed that I never got to see them when he still did that on stage, I victim of youth I suppose (born 92)
I did notice most of the crowd seemed to me late twenties through to around mid forties. I was probably one of the youngest ones there.

I ended up going with someone who isnt really that much of a Tool fan (think all their songs sound the same), but he enjoyed all the effects and said especially Danny and Justin were both amazing.

So yeah, to summarise: a good night.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallues View Post
I also thought they were going to start with Third Eye when the heart beat first started, still hanging out to go to a show where they open with that.
Do they even do that anymore?
On their 2011 tour they opened the Melbourne show with Third Eye. Not the BDO show though.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

Ah, still kinda annoyed I didnt buy tickets to both.

Its such a powerful opening track.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #46
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

I thought Maynard sounded fantastic. Our Push It was ringing and true. Perhaps people are just missing the screaming and angst from old tours. Can't we allow Maynard to evolve? I always feel a bit uncomfortable criticising people who are putting it out there when I am just sitting in the audience. Especially when I can't even sing Happy Birthday.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Pretty sure he left off the last verse of PushIt because of how taxing it. Not having a go or anything, I'd rather him leave things out than sing it anyway and fuck his voice up.

The singer from The Deftones does that, and they're disappointing live because of it.

Im not 100% sure it was pushit, but I am 100% sure that he did leave out one of the last verses of a song because it was one of the more taxing parts.

Im not disappointed in the show because of it, Im disappointed that I never got to see him years ago when he would still belt it out like he does on the album.

Ahwell, I always have the records to go back and listen to.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

you've got to remember, age aside (though it is a legitimate reason for sounding weaker than we'd like) he's been touring since around christmas, for soundwave, then puscifer then coachella and brazils lollapalooza.
i got to see puscifer in sydney and he let loose a few old school screams then, it was fucking amazing to hear. i am old enough to remember the old tours (my first was 1997). hearing him as his "old self" was...nostalgic
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

The last time I saw Tool was in 2011 and his voice was in much better shape then than it was in 2006 and 2007 when I saw them. I'm just going off the youtube performances for the Melbourne shows, but I'd say that he is still improving. Yeah, he sounds like he maybe didn't get in enough practice before the shows--flubs in "Vicarious" and "Lateralus" but I was overjoyed to hear him sing the end part of "Vicarious" and sound so strong. Plus he sounds great in "Pushit" and was did less of the fading to lower notes thing that he was doing in 2011/2012...like when he sings the "peace of mind part" he stayed up on that last note in Melbourne whereas the past couple years he has started high and then faded it down to a lower note.

I think that Maynard is touring a lot and he is pushing himself these days and trying to improve. And I think he is improving. He's been letting some screams loose with Puscifer. Plus his voice is just sounding stronger in the other parts all the time I think.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #50
Level 3 - Talker

It looks like I lost the beginning of my post somehow. It started with something like, I think people are being hard on Maynard.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

I know I'm not supposed to post since I didn't attend the Melbourne shows, but I just wanted to chime in on the conversation Re: MJK's voice.

I know he's been skipping the last part of "Vicarious" as far back as I can remember. However, when I saw APC in Atlanta in Summer 2011, I thought he sounded the best that I have ever seen with APC. I attributed that to his work with Puscifer.

Maybe it's just laziness with Tool, I dunno. I hope the other three guys give him shit about it. If they are giving 100% effort, then so should he. Enough of the prima donna winemaker bullshit. TOOL IS YOUR DAY JOB.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #52
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvintillius View Post
I know I'm not supposed to post since I didn't attend the Melbourne shows, but I just wanted to chime in on the conversation Re: MJK's voice.

I know he's been skipping the last part of "Vicarious" as far back as I can remember. However, when I saw APC in Atlanta in Summer 2011, I thought he sounded the best that I have ever seen with APC. I attributed that to his work with Puscifer.

Maybe it's just laziness with Tool, I dunno. I hope the other three guys give him shit about it. If they are giving 100% effort, then so should he. Enough of the prima donna winemaker bullshit. TOOL IS YOUR DAY JOB.

Just my $0.02
Again, watch the Melbourne videos. He nails the last part of Vicarious.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #53
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Location: waiting for your mom to make me some goddamn breakfast
Bincount™: 2

He always skips it and he fuckin nailed it. sick no less. and I feel the same about seeing him gradually change but don't we all. I live for the times when he throws a fit and stops singing (parabola anyone?). I would rather hear him sing the parts he can and let them be an instrumental band.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #54
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dark Flame View Post
Does Justin have a twitter and is it verified?
Pretty sure he doesn't. The one that's out there I'm about 90% is fake.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #55
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Nard tags that twitter account so it might be legit

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: