opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/01 - Nottingham, UK - Nottingham Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9
Re: 2006/12/01 - Nottingham, UK - Nottingham Arena

that wa the best gig i have ever been to!!!

setlist in no particualr order--

stinkfist
46 and 2
vicarious
aenima
lateralus
jambi
lost keys
rosetta stoned
schism
wing for marie
10,000 days
the pot

the rest when i remember it sorry

x

Last edited by Louis_116206; 12-01-2006 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: remembered song
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I think the order was

Stinkfist
46 and 2
Jambi
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Schism
Wings for Marie
10, 000 days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

But don't quote me on that.

Anyway, best night of my life; completely blew Download out of the water, although that was to be expected.

Would've loved to hear Swamp Song, but I'm not complaining.

Thank you, Tool. Thank you very, very much.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylix View Post
I think the order was

Stinkfist
46 and 2
Jambi
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Schism
Wings for Marie
10, 000 days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

But don't quote me on that.

Anyway, best night of my life; completely blew Download out of the water, although that was to be expected.

Would've loved to hear Swamp Song, but I'm not complaining.

Thank you, Tool. Thank you very, very much.
yeah i think thats right. whereabouts were you? i was in line with adam about 6 rows from the front. (standing)
Old 12-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Set List was:
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

(I'm typing this from the foyer of the hotel I'm staying in in Nottingham, which is holding a salsa night directly below my bedroom - no wonder the room was so cheap!!)

Storming gig once again! Same set as Glsagow except we got 46 & 2 instead of Swamp Song.

Mastodon were also superb, their sound was slightly better this time but still a bit too bassy to pick out the intricacies of some of the guitar work, and it'd have been nice to have more from Leviathan but you can't have everything.

Anyway back to Tool.... having been right on the edge of the moshpit at Glasgow I stood a bit further back this time and was glad I did because I fully appreciated the spectacle that was the laser show.... truly awesome! '10,000 Days / Wings' in particluar was stunning.

Nice to see Maynard in his tasty little orange number again...! He didn't say much tonight apart from the usual 'good news / bad news' bit but what the hell. And no gas mask so he must be feeling better, bless.

Never been to Nottingham arena before, great sound for such a big venue, great toilets, shame about the beer though..... come to think of it my first time in Nottingham the town, don't think it'll be the last, made some new friends and shared some great (and at times surreal)moments with fellow Tool fans.

Only down side of the gig were 2 girls passing out behind us, one of whom landed on my mate.... was quite worried about them, it wasn't that hot so suspect either the wrong kind of drugs or a medical reaction to the lasers?

Anyway thanks again Tool, and see you in Paris!

:-)
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Wow. That was the best gig Ive been to. Third time seeing Tool and by far the best. The lasers were great and the visuals were far better than at Download, and the band were tighter. Gonna be on a high for days now. Thanks Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay View Post
Wow. That was the best gig Ive been to.
Me to, my first Tool gig and definatly not the last. The band sounded and played perfectly was shocked at how close to the album versions the songs sounded live, awesome gig and amazing visual's, the lasers were just stunning. Can't wait to see the band again!

Peace, Jaymz.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

God I really hope they do eventually release that fabled live dvd. So wish I could watch that again. Im jealous of those of you who can afford tickets to all of these dates.

What was with the guy in the lab coat was that just a roadie or what?

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 12-01-2006 at 05:25 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

That was my first Tool gig, and it absolutely blew me away, possibly the best night of my life.
I thought the sound for Mastodon was too bassy, the vocals and guitar work was hard to hear amongst the rumble.
Stinkfist, Wings/10000 Days an of course Aenima were highlights.
The effects were outstanding.
Can't wait to see them again if they tour UK again next year.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

1st tool gig and it completely, completely owned. 10,000 days the ovbious highlight
got signatures of danny adam and justin. woohoo
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 47

2nd gig this year, the sound was amazing! we decided to move after mastodon cause of the bass heavyness of their set, but tool's sound was spot on.
They seemed to play the first few songs a lot slower than normal but it was still good.
Stinkfist was amazing, wings/10,000 days was cool to hear live, nice lasers back drop and light show!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

That like always was an incredible show! The venue didnt disappoint, which it sometimes does(maybe that is just down to the quality of the musicians playing) and the band playing with incredible energy.
Nice to see we got a dose of maynard in his Orange hoodie, wasn't sure if the gas mask would hinder him or not but he wasn't wearing it anyway.
Adam appears to be getting a little more energetic in his older age and Justin always semms to really enjoy playing on his home turf.
Then there is Danny... God damn! there is not a weak element in the band and everyone has an equal and immense contribution but I am always drawn to him on stage. He was sooo tight, like the whole band of course(i have to say that was probably the tightest I have seen them) and he seems to make everyone a bit emotional whether they be drummers or not.
The set was awesome-I think someone above has it in the right order. Wings & 10,000 days were the only new additions to the set for me and they, like everyone is agreeing were phenomenal. Roseta stoned lacked the energy of previous shows i'd seen it on but no complaints and what an opener stinkfist is!
Last night was made all the more special because of the amount of friends there! It adds to the experience seeing them in your home town, especially when there are so many of your mates there! we were all emotional and Wollaton has never had such a strong presence at a gig!
Now another 6 months to wait at least! The come down after a tool gig is always massive.
Never will another band compete with Tool!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

After seeing them last week in Manchester, and actually being slightly disappointed that evening (didn't get a very good feeling from the band, and the predictability of the line up was kind of weighing me down), I was absolutely blown away tonight. Also saw them in London in the Summer, but this was something else.

I found a new love for Schism, after the third time of seeing it live. Something just clicked in place for me.

Maynard seemed much happier to be there, unlike in manch! I liked the Rock City quote... I saw APC play there a few years ago. That was an awesome gig, but completely different to Tool tonight.

Just hoping they come back next year and crack some of the other material out. Would probably kill 2-3 people to hear Eulogy, D/R/T, Pushit ... and pretty much every other song I have yet to hear :)

Only disappointment was no Swamp Song. But by the end it really didn't matter.

Sam
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Setlist was exactly the same as for the Manchester gig:

Stinkfist (ext)
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism (ext)
Lost Keys (in full, but without the samples)
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
(Beatle-Mania, Band-Worship intermission, Justin with his lighter etc)
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
(a bit of Merkaba ?)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

It was a better gig than Manchester however: better acoustics/ sound in the venue, the crowd were a little more into it and the band were just a bit tighter and in a better mood.

I would have traded "Swamp" for "Pot", having already seen this setlist at Manchester, but that's a minor quibble.

I'd probably say this was my favourite TOOL show (it was my 6th).

Highlights for me would be:

- MJK playing the crowd by saying "Wake up", "Long way from Rock City"
- MJK doing his "The good news is there is no bad news" line before Adam ripped into the opening on "Jambi": that set the entire place on fire
- Lost Keys/ Rosetta Stoned !!! That was performed so well and so tightly. It was a tad sloppy and without full momentum at Manchester, but at Nottingham they nailed it completely. The accompanying videos were superb as well.
- The band's "Group Hug" at the end of the gig. Very touching. I think they know they'd just played out of their skins and nailed the mother f*cker.

I drove to the venue as well, so I only had a couple of beers. Being 99% sober and able to fully take in the videos, lights, performance etc was super. I think I'll be sober for all TOOL gigs from now on ;o)

Hails TOOL.

p.s. Not having been at this venue before, it was a bit difficult to find. My friend and I decided to silently follow a group of TOOL fans from Solihull (B'Ham) who didn't know where they were going ! Good job we all got their eventually ;o)

p.p.s. I enjoyed Mastodon's set again, especially "Heart's Alive", but I still think they're a strange choice of support for TOOL - perhaps that's the idea.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, the last guy's set list was right. Foiled.

Anyway, I was in front of Justin about 2 or three 'rows' from the rails and it was awesome. I'm only about 5'5" (15, still growing) but I managed to get a good view. Justin was insane as usual, as was Danny. Maynard sounded fantastic, Adam sounded fantastic, can't fault the performance. Didn't get to see much of Adam since he was at the other end of the stage but he didn't seem too lively. Then again, that's Adam, and that's the way he chooses to perform - the talkbox solo was incredible though.

I thought Mastodon were great also; a little bass heavy perhaps, as has already been stated, but they were a fantastic support act.

Finally, I was talking to a guy with a red Muse shirt before and after the show, but didn't get to say goodbye. Just wondering if it was anybody here?

x
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 AM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8254

Concert was pretty good, the set was practically the same as last time I saw them so that was a bit of a let down. I wish they would have played Swamp Song at this one.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

I was seated at the far right, near Justin who blocked my view of Danny a lot of the time. The show was absolutely astounding, I feel a bit depressed now that I'll probably never get to whitness that or anything like it ever again.
Wings/10,000 was 100% the highlight, as well as Danny going insane during the extended Schism break.
Why does everyone want Swamp Song so much? I was glad they didn't play anything pre-AEnima, though I would have like something like The Grudge/Patient instead of Jambi, which never really did much for me (except Adam's gorgeous solo). Also AEnema wouldn't have been my final track, they probably should have saved Wings/10,000 for the encore.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

2 rows from the rails, bang in the middle of maynard and danny, got to see everything, although a girls nearly set my hair on fire during the lighter bit. best gig EVER! for me.

chris
x
Old 12-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #19
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

we got back at 2:00am after driving back to Newcastle. of the four gigs I've seen on this tour I think that may have been the best. the security were a lot more chilled, the stage was higher so it wasn't hard to see and I was so near the front, had a perfect view of Adam and Maynard and could have got some fucking awesome photos if I'd been allowed a camera.

it was just incredible. touched me more than any other one maybe because it was my last gig this year or maybe because it was just completely spot on. the visuals were incredible, did anyone else watch the video during Vicarious, there were some freaky moments that I've never seen before that I think could have been from the new video - lots of white eyes with no irises or pupils. very strange.

maynard was grooving away as usual, wasn't sure if his voice was completely okay but he covered it over very well if not. wings/10KDays was the most beautiful I have seen it yet and I actually felt a little choked up for the first time.

During the break it was so nice to see them all close up, sitting down and chatting amongst themselves, and watching the crowd. they seem like a really tight unit and it's good to see.

also I have to say, I know there are a lot of Adam haters out there but seriously, that guy is awesome. it was so great seeing him do his thing today, he totally rocked.

Aenima was a storming ending as normal. I felt so happy but so gutted at the end knowing it was all over. it was so amazing though. can't wait for next summer.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any pictures from the gig? I saw at least one person who managed to get a camera in.

Overall was a fantastic gig, Justin especially seemed very energetic and you can't go wrong with "the maynard dance". Only negative was what i can only describe as a chav, pushing in front of me and shouting abuse at everyone he could, but those people are definitely in the minority with tool fans.

Roll on next summer!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #21

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay View Post
God I really hope they do eventually release that fabled live dvd. So wish I could watch that again. Im jealous of those of you who can afford tickets to all of these dates.

What was with the guy in the lab coat was that just a roadie or what?
he was the guitar tech
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

AWESOME GIG!!

Tool are by far the best band I've seen live so far. They are also the best sounding. The sound was perfect - clean and crisp and the songs were played perfectly.

The whole show was supurb, I could write about it all day but I won't, heh.

Did anyone get any pics, manage to film it or audio record it?? I managed to record the show (in audio) but after checking it, it appears that my battery died so I only have up until The Pot (sound is incredible and I'll be uploading it to dimeadozen.org soon).
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Heres a link to a dandy playlist ive created from last nights gig ...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D1C957231D78ADAB
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pinstripe_ View Post
Heres a link to a dandy playlist ive created from last nights gig ...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D1C957231D78ADAB

Did you record any more at all?? whole show?? :)

EDIT: If anyone has doubts because of the static setlist, don't. Go see them, its more than worth it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Drum Theater View Post
Did you record any more at all?? whole show?? :)

EDIT: If anyone has doubts because of the static setlist, don't. Go see them, its more than worth it.

Sorry dude only had my small camera so was limited to what i could record so its all up there now ...just added Aenima and the crowd at the end
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pinstripe_ View Post
Sorry dude only had my small camera so was limited to what i could record so its all up there now ...just added Aenima and the crowd at the end
No probs, sure is better than nothing at all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #27
Level 9 3/4 - British

the most annoying thing last night was some ditzy bint behind me screaming 'margaret' a bunch of times over the opening few minutes of Wings, it was so quiet and she really killed the atmosphere. what a whore.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #28
TJP

WOW What a fucking awesome gig. I was a bit upset they didn't play Swamp song but who cares the rest of the set blow my head off [nearly] BUT...... Mastodon were fucking Shit their whole sound blew big time. All i could hear [more like feel] was the drums but i was only there for tool so i didnt give a shit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #29

i also have to admit i was extremely dissapointed with mastadon. i was about 5 or 6 rows from the front and i was directly in line with adam. would have liked to be near justin as i am a fellow bass player but i have no reason to complain as it was out of this world. This was the first tool gig ive been to and so far THE best gig ive been to. what i liked is how everyone in the crowd were doing their own thing as opposed to mainstreaming. i liked maynards dancing it was great. bit strange tho but it made me smile. MY form tutor from school went to that gig aswell which was quite funny. i wished that everyone appreciated 10000 days as much as i did, alot of poeple talked through it which pissed me off. highlight for me was either laateralus/vicarious/aenima. oh FUCK IT THE WHOE GIG WAS GREAT!! getting my tickets as soon as theycome in the uk again. xxx

Last edited by Louis_116206; 12-03-2006 at 01:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #30
Level 9 3/4 - British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_116206 View Post
i also have to admit i was extremely dissapointed with tool. i was about 5 or 6 rows from the front and i was directly in line with adam. would have liked to be near justin as i am a fellow bass player but i have no reason to complain as it was out of this world. This was the first tool gig ive been to and so far THE best gig ive been to. what i liked is how everyone in the crowd were doing their own thing as opposed to mainstreaming. i liked maynards dancing it was great. bit strange tho but it made me smile. MY form tutor from school went to that gig aswell which was quite funny. i wished that everyone appreciated 10000 days as much as i did, alot of poeple talked through it which pissed me off. highlight for me was either laateralus/vicarious/aenima. oh FUCK IT THE WHOE GIG WAS GREAT!! getting my tickets as soon as theycome in the uk again. xxx
I didn't get your review until I thought that maybe you meant Mastodon instead of Tool in the first sentence?
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

RIGHT, does anyone know the name of the song they played over the PA before mastadon's set?! kind of dodgy time signatures/weird groove feel. i remember it from hammersmith so they must've been playing it all the time since then... any ideas?!

Last edited by haich; 12-02-2006 at 04:59 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboystrikesback View Post
.Only negative was what i can only describe as a chav, pushing in front of me and shouting abuse at everyone he could, but those people are definitely in the minority with tool fans.

Roll on next summer!
I encountered a gaggle of chavs heading backwards away from the stage during stinkfist. They definately looked out of place. Strange maybe some do have a good taste in music.

They were very polite. Strange as they were the proper boney headed soverign wearing chavs that can usually be found outside of Spars, not just a bunch of guys wearing 'trackees'.

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 12-02-2006 at 05:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #33

yeah tool were fucking awesome, my 2nd show of the tour this year. but why are the crowd so stale? most of the people around me, looked like they were not interested in being there, some hardly clapped after a song! WTF?

it was strange.

wings parts 1 and 2 were good, but i was getting a bit bored after a while, until the put the lasers on which gave the show a pink floyd moment. but the song picked up in wings part 2, but to be honest would have prefered swap song or sober to keep that rocking vibe going. but i was grateful to experiance wings live.

i also felt that most of the songs were played at a slower pace too, which was good i thought and the sound was PERFECT.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 04:05 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haich View Post
RIGHT, does anyone know the name of the song they played over the PA before mastadon's set?! kind of dodgy time signatures/weird groove feel. i remember it from hammersmith so they must've been playing it all the time since then... any ideas?!
Meshuggah - In Death is Life and In Death is Death from Catch 33

Third Tool show for me and again it didn't blow me away. I don't think I'll ever enjoy Tool live, as people wailing the lyrics so loud you can't hear Maynard and having conversations during Wings for Marie kind of ruins it for me :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkabalus View Post
Meshuggah - In Death is Life and In Death is Death from Catch 33
this fits the description, but it wasn't that song. it was played before mastadon's set.
anyway.

it was a tad annoying because of were i was standing, people always barging by to go to the bar and toilets etc. aside from that it was still pretty amazing.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

went to the gig from a different stand point as my Californian half persuaded me to go, as he'd seen the gig in Oakland. I had very little prior knowledge of Tool as a result and could afford to truly say that I had no preconceptions.... but what a gig , ~~ felt like missing time, I was completely enthralled. The crowd was pretty well chilled as well, and my crowd phobia was quickly assauged. I kinda wondered why I hadn't attended many gigs in thirty years... rock on Tool , your work is very symbolic and inspirational. My highlight (yes, another one to say this) was 10.000 days, reminiscent of King Criimson,, and of course the iconic
Schism ~~~~~
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

tool were amazing! my first gig ever, and obviously my first tool gig and the sound quality was great, maynard was being wierd as usual (seen live videos), Adam seemed really bored for some reason, Justin was havin a great time and danny was great, but i couldnt see his face sadly, a huge cymbal was in front of his face. I really want maynards hoodie! the laser show was awesome and the lights and effects were perfect. I loved adams solo in jambi. the show was perfect!
See, I know you entertain some kind of eternal life fantasy because you've chosen not to smoke; let me be the first to pop that fucking bubble and send you hurtling back to reality – because you're dead too. And you know what doctors say: "Shit, if only you'd smoked, we'd have the technology to help you. It's you people dying from nothing who are screwed."
- Bill Hicks
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #38
TJP

To all the people who were queuing up outside from about 3:00 or 4:00 "HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED THE SHOW" [by the way i was the tall dude with thick long brown hair] thanks for the beers!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
I didn't get your review until I thought that maybe you meant Mastodon instead of Tool in the first sentence?
yeah i meant mastodon tool were great
Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
To all the people who were queuing up outside from about 3:00 or 4:00 "HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED THE SHOW" [by the way i was the tall dude with thick long brown hair] thanks for the beers!
Represent. Our early arrival ensured we got a spot right at the barrier, somewhere between Adam and Maynard. Great view of the whole band, and my first Tool gig - having been listening to them for the better part of four years, I was gosh-darn excited (if a little tired from a work shift in the morning).

Well, the quality of Tool's performance has been documented well so far and there's not a great deal more I can say other than that they delivered the goods to an amazing standard. I don't have much basis for comparison as I've never been in that venue before, but the sound was of surprisingly good quality. My only critisism was that Maynard didn't always come through particularly clearly, but when he did I was taken aback.

The highlight of the gig for me went like this: we had been chatting to a pair of the security guard chaps right in front of us. Both nice guys, the elder of which (I guess he was in his forties) questioned us about who we were there to see. He remarked at one point that when you'd seen as many bands as he had, they all meld into one - "none of that crap", he scoffed. At one or two points in the set I noticed he was tapping his hand on the speaker next to him. After Tool had left the stage, I stretched over the barrier to bid him farewell, and as we shook hands the last thing he said was:

"You know what? They weren't bad at all."

It was a nice reminder of how good, honest music reaches out to people. Wonderful gig.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: