Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
STORMCROW1031's Avatar STORMCROW1031
06-01-2006, 04:07 AM

LOL! That's that then, isn't it?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 AM   #201
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Hypocritical?

LOL! That's that then, isn't it?
06-01-2006, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_reflection
If someone dies, despite beliefs, most people that i have known say something along the lines "s/he's in a better place".
The jesus parachute, for the weak-minded. Religion persists because of its afterlife parachute, and the afterlife parachute persists because of weak-minded people just like those you 'have known'.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #202
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_reflection
If someone dies, despite beliefs, most people that i have known say something along the lines "s/he's in a better place".
The jesus parachute, for the weak-minded. Religion persists because of its afterlife parachute, and the afterlife parachute persists because of weak-minded people just like those you 'have known'.
OFFLINE |  
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
06-01-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Why does MJK wish for something that he doesn't believe exists?
Maynard has never said he doesnt believe in a higher power, he just doesnt necessarily think its an old man with a white beard playing a harp on a cloud. he has always shown that he is a spiritual person, not necessarily a Christian, but he believes in something. Personally, I think we all should. It is a pretty depressing thought to believe that this world is all for nothing. I think something had to create all this. The fact is that none of us will ever really know for sure until our time to die comes. I think Maynard touched on this with the song. He was paying respect to his mothers beliefs, and thus, indirectly, his own beliefs as well.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 AM   #203
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Why does MJK wish for something that he doesn't believe exists?
Maynard has never said he doesnt believe in a higher power, he just doesnt necessarily think its an old man with a white beard playing a harp on a cloud. he has always shown that he is a spiritual person, not necessarily a Christian, but he believes in something. Personally, I think we all should. It is a pretty depressing thought to believe that this world is all for nothing. I think something had to create all this. The fact is that none of us will ever really know for sure until our time to die comes. I think Maynard touched on this with the song. He was paying respect to his mothers beliefs, and thus, indirectly, his own beliefs as well.
OFFLINE |  
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
06-01-2006, 05:54 AM

I truly pity submachine. He always writes rediculous posts, with such a negative outlook on EVERYTHING. He or she must be one miserable person. And the funny thing is that he REALLY thinks he is smarter than everyone else who posts on this site, which results in proving to all of us how slow the guy really is. poor submachine.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #204
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I truly pity submachine. He always writes rediculous posts, with such a negative outlook on EVERYTHING. He or she must be one miserable person. And the funny thing is that he REALLY thinks he is smarter than everyone else who posts on this site, which results in proving to all of us how slow the guy really is. poor submachine.
OFFLINE |  
06-01-2006, 07:21 AM

Quote:
And the Dawkins/submachine parachute exists for those weak minded individuals who believe that all that exists in heaven and earth is dreamt of in their philosophy (that's a twist of Shakespeare for you Sub, but you won't read his stuff because he often mentions things he didn't believe in and certainly questions things he didn't "know". LOL)
I think you're terrified that Judith's religion is true - because you "know" if it is you're done for!!
I remain open minded and I don't "know" that if there is a god, he would condemn you... as i see it, you have, in your ignorance, rallied some very intelligent people to post on this thread - and I'm very happy to know all of them...therefore your bad behavior has good results!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 AM   #205
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
And the Dawkins/submachine parachute exists for those weak minded individuals who believe that all that exists in heaven and earth is dreamt of in their philosophy (that's a twist of Shakespeare for you Sub, but you won't read his stuff because he often mentions things he didn't believe in and certainly questions things he didn't "know". LOL)
I think you're terrified that Judith's religion is true - because you "know" if it is you're done for!!
I remain open minded and I don't "know" that if there is a god, he would condemn you... as i see it, you have, in your ignorance, rallied some very intelligent people to post on this thread - and I'm very happy to know all of them...therefore your bad behavior has good results!
06-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabola7001
was that 2nd part towards me? cause i can't really tell.
No, Parabola. Not at all.
I found the "little boy" insult really awkward too and was trying to work out what it was about it that seemed so odd (objectively, ignoring the fact that it was directed at me).
Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #206
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
was that 2nd part towards me? cause i can't really tell.
No, Parabola. Not at all.
I found the "little boy" insult really awkward too and was trying to work out what it was about it that seemed so odd (objectively, ignoring the fact that it was directed at me).
OFFLINE |  
evilprimeval
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie
The angels play harps.
God plays a giant, gold and jewel encrusted kazoo.
Get your mythology straight.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #207

Quote:
The angels play harps.
God plays a giant, gold and jewel encrusted kazoo.
Get your mythology straight.
OFFLINE |  
evilprimeval
06-01-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope
If he puts a lot of thought into something then he should be able to resolve the problem.
It's not always thought that resolves things.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope
If he puts a lot of thought into something then he should be able to resolve the problem.
It's not always thought that resolves things.
OFFLINE |  
Cucumber_11's Avatar Cucumber_11
06-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Again, he is "paying respect" to that which he respects least about his mother ("Fuck your god")

This is contradictory and hypocritical, whether the average fan is capable of understanding this or not.
Thanks for completly ignoring the rest of my post...

It is not hypocritical to have respect for a religion you yourself do not believe in. He is not advocating/glorifying the religion at all. He's isn't saying "Go be a christian now!" That would be hypocritical, simply writing about a situation involving christianity is not hypocritical.

It would be like saying you couldn't write a book about christianity because you are not christian. As long as he doesn't start telling people that christianity is good and that we should be a christian he is not being a hypocrite.
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #209
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 192

Quote:
Again, he is "paying respect" to that which he respects least about his mother ("Fuck your god")

This is contradictory and hypocritical, whether the average fan is capable of understanding this or not.
Thanks for completly ignoring the rest of my post...

It is not hypocritical to have respect for a religion you yourself do not believe in. He is not advocating/glorifying the religion at all. He's isn't saying "Go be a christian now!" That would be hypocritical, simply writing about a situation involving christianity is not hypocritical.

It would be like saying you couldn't write a book about christianity because you are not christian. As long as he doesn't start telling people that christianity is good and that we should be a christian he is not being a hypocrite.
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
OFFLINE |  
submachine's Avatar submachine
06-01-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
he believes in something
Well isn't that profound?

Now I lol

4 cds, 15 years, and "he believes in something".

Back to reality, "Fuck your god!" =/= "Praying, heaven, gates"
Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #210
On Probation

Quote:
he believes in something

Now I lol

OFFLINE |  
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Now I lol

Please don't accuse Maynard of writing "sacred texts" which cannot be refuted. That's the last thing he'd do.
I've told a lot of people to go to hell whether their is one or not, and I'm glad they didn't do so at my suggestion.
This is an expression of emotion, ie anger, not a commandment.
This is ART not GOSPEL.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #211
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Now I lol

Please don't accuse Maynard of writing "sacred texts" which cannot be refuted. That's the last thing he'd do.
I've told a lot of people to go to hell whether their is one or not, and I'm glad they didn't do so at my suggestion.
This is an expression of emotion, ie anger, not a commandment.
This is ART not GOSPEL.
06-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Now I lol

i like the way you think
Old 06-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #212
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Now I lol

i like the way you think
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original f/x
i like the way you think
LMAO! This is fun!!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #213
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
i like the way you think
LMAO! This is fun!!
06-01-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
i like the way you think
If you ever wondered how someone like Jim Jones would lead people to their own deaths...
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMCROW1031
LMAO! This is fun!!
It is, isn't it? The frustration with some of these people is gone, it's become very humorous and comforting, in a strange way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Do you ever read posts by other people?
I think not.
Hard to remain an ignorant fuck with your eyes open.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #214

Quote:
i like the way you think
If you ever wondered how someone like Jim Jones would lead people to their own deaths...
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMCROW1031
LMAO! This is fun!!
It is, isn't it? The frustration with some of these people is gone, it's become very humorous and comforting, in a strange way.
Quote:
Do you ever read posts by other people?
I think not.
OFFLINE |  
06-01-2006, 11:23 AM

And its frustrating to see someone (subadubdub) who thinks that this life is all he'll ever know and he's so fucking MISERABLE about it!!!
And we're all here trying to reason with him!!
YARG!
I'm gonna go play some Pong.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #215
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

And its frustrating to see someone (subadubdub) who thinks that this life is all he'll ever know and he's so fucking MISERABLE about it!!!
And we're all here trying to reason with him!!
YARG!
I'm gonna go play some Pong.
06-01-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
In some cases? Yes. In most cases? Maybe. In all cases? No.

Fuck man, life isn't so black and white. I know some religious minds( I am not religious at all myself) that are some of the most strong minded and intelligent people that will ever live.

To be so strong minded yourself you sure do seem closeminded too. A closed mind isn't strong, just stuck in a rut of its own ignorance.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #216

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
In some cases? Yes. In most cases? Maybe. In all cases? No.

Fuck man, life isn't so black and white. I know some religious minds( I am not religious at all myself) that are some of the most strong minded and intelligent people that will ever live.

To be so strong minded yourself you sure do seem closeminded too. A closed mind isn't strong, just stuck in a rut of its own ignorance.
OFFLINE |  
Semp's Avatar Semp
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM

I can't believe this thread is still going. There are atleast half a dozen points made by various posters that totally refute Submachine's take, and yet some how he's still finding a way to ignore them or take them out of context and keep plowing on about Jesus Parachutes and hypocrisy and fap-fap-fap-Dawkins-fap-fap-ohhhhhhhh. It's threads like this that make me confused at how this can be a forum for a band that's all about intelligence and open-mindedness... it sure feels like a damn ocean of stupidty at times.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #217
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

I can't believe this thread is still going. There are atleast half a dozen points made by various posters that totally refute Submachine's take, and yet some how he's still finding a way to ignore them or take them out of context and keep plowing on about Jesus Parachutes and hypocrisy and fap-fap-fap-Dawkins-fap-fap-ohhhhhhhh. It's threads like this that make me confused at how this can be a forum for a band that's all about intelligence and open-mindedness... it sure feels like a damn ocean of stupidty at times.
OFFLINE |  
evilprimeval
06-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
I'll admit to my weakness, I like to watch him dance the same dance regardless of who comes along or what tune they're playing. In no way can I justify it.
You seemed to have a little fun with the "some how he's still finding a way to ignore them or take them out of context and keep plowing on about Jesus Parachutes and hypocrisy and fap-fap-fap-Dawkins-fap-fap-ohhhhhhhh", yourself... surely you can relate on some level.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
I'll admit to my weakness, I like to watch him dance the same dance regardless of who comes along or what tune they're playing. In no way can I justify it.
You seemed to have a little fun with the "some how he's still finding a way to ignore them or take them out of context and keep plowing on about Jesus Parachutes and hypocrisy and fap-fap-fap-Dawkins-fap-fap-ohhhhhhhh", yourself... surely you can relate on some level.
OFFLINE |  
original f/x's Avatar original f/x
06-01-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilprimeval

you are my personal hero..who gives a shit about what people say? it says it right on the top left....OPINION

Last edited by original f/x; 06-01-2006 at 04:30 PM..
Old 06-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #219
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

you are my personal hero..who gives a shit about what people say? it says it right on the top left....OPINION

Last edited by original f/x; 06-01-2006 at 04:30 PM..
OFFLINE |  
evilprimeval
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Ahhhh, so it does. Guess I was alright in giving mine then?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #220

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
no matter who or what you believe in he is saying fuck you to.
and yet when he preaches about heaven, gates, and the holy spirit, we don't have a right to say 'fuck you' right back.

lmao
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #221
On Probation

Quote:
no matter who or what you believe in he is saying fuck you to.
and yet when he preaches about heaven, gates, and the holy spirit, we don't have a right to say 'fuck you' right back.

lmao
OFFLINE |  
06-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Maynard isn't preaching - hey, I gotta ask - do you listen to Tool?
Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #222
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard isn't preaching - hey, I gotta ask - do you listen to Tool?
06-01-2006, 06:35 PM

ok, well, they're this incredible band that creates this unbelievable music - and the lyrics? they're all about open mindedness and discovery and resisting intolerance and stuff and... oh... you wouldn't like them much... not what you're about...
Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #223
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

ok, well, they're this incredible band that creates this unbelievable music - and the lyrics? they're all about open mindedness and discovery and resisting intolerance and stuff and... oh... you wouldn't like them much... not what you're about...
06-01-2006, 06:42 PM

I haven't read every post in this thread but I think Maynard is being a hypocrite.

He's being an asshole to every religious person except his mother; kinda like saying, "all religious people are hypocrites, except my mother; she really used religion in a positive way - and i'm closing my mind to the chance of there being someone else like this in the world"
Old 06-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #224
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 3499

I haven't read every post in this thread but I think Maynard is being a hypocrite.

He's being an asshole to every religious person except his mother; kinda like saying, "all religious people are hypocrites, except my mother; she really used religion in a positive way - and i'm closing my mind to the chance of there being someone else like this in the world"
06-01-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowmaynard
Thats the point, he is doing what the worst of the faithful do, and that is base his opinion on his extreme, uncontrolled emotions.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #225
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowmaynard
Thats the point, he is doing what the worst of the faithful do, and that is base his opinion on his extreme, uncontrolled emotions.
OFFLINE |  
Parabola7001
06-02-2006, 12:59 AM

like i said listen to the conmentary of the song "Judith" and MJK explains all of this.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #226
Level 3 - Talker

like i said listen to the conmentary of the song "Judith" and MJK explains all of this.
OFFLINE |  
original f/x's Avatar original f/x
06-02-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
youre god damned right
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #227
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
youre god damned right
06-02-2006, 09:14 AM

Quote:
lol, why should I listen to a "commentary of the song", when the song itself is clear?

And if the song is not clear, blame the songwriter. We don't need commentarys, we need clarity.

Instead, we have contradictions and hypocrisy.

"Get off your fuckin cross!" =/= "Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father"
Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #228
On Probation

Quote:
lol, why should I listen to a "commentary of the song", when the song itself is clear?

And if the song is not clear, blame the songwriter. We don't need commentarys, we need clarity.

OFFLINE |  
06-02-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:

that's the sign of the cross, Reverend Sub, in reverse which makes the reference to "fetching" the spirit, son and father (which is not what a christian would do) anti-christian...
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #229
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

that's the sign of the cross, Reverend Sub, in reverse which makes the reference to "fetching" the spirit, son and father (which is not what a christian would do) anti-christian...
06-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
youre god damned right
God damned straight, goddamit, damn it all if that ain't the truth.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #230

Quote:
youre god damned right
God damned straight, goddamit, damn it all if that ain't the truth.
OFFLINE |  
06-02-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
both things are miles apart and used in a very different context.
Context, as in ok to believe sometimes, like, when it comes to a dead mothers soul? Don't think, don't question.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #231
On Probation

Quote:
both things are miles apart and used in a very different context.
Context, as in ok to believe sometimes, like, when it comes to a dead mothers soul? Don't think, don't question.
OFFLINE |  
four_degrees_higher
06-02-2006, 09:19 PM

How many people blame God because of their afflictions? How many people become cynical and bitter and point the finger and become angry with anyone and anything. I think seeing the music for what music is is the most important aspect of tool: art, a form of expressing how you feel and see the world around you. They don't divulge in the typical arrogance of popularity or being rich and famous. I'm sure anything they write is their feelings at the time, like any other poet or artist. I've loved God, I've hated God...at times I haven't been sure there even is a god, been on the brink of finding out for sure. There aren't any answers to those questions and for Maynard to show his anger/frustration/resentment/forgiveness/acceptance is his issue. 10,000 days seems to be a change in attitude from Judith, but they are different times of his life. No one believes as strongly or as poorly from one moment to the next. I'm sure that in retrospect he sees his mother as being the strongest person in her faith that he has ever known. It's not an angry song, but reflects his intent that she deserves the best God has to offer because of her strong commitment to him during her life. He loves his mother despite the fact that he didn't understand (at least in one point of his life) how she could love someone that supposedly caused her suffering. There is no hypocrisy..only human experience.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #232
Level 2 - Poster

How many people blame God because of their afflictions? How many people become cynical and bitter and point the finger and become angry with anyone and anything. I think seeing the music for what music is is the most important aspect of tool: art, a form of expressing how you feel and see the world around you. They don't divulge in the typical arrogance of popularity or being rich and famous. I'm sure anything they write is their feelings at the time, like any other poet or artist. I've loved God, I've hated God...at times I haven't been sure there even is a god, been on the brink of finding out for sure. There aren't any answers to those questions and for Maynard to show his anger/frustration/resentment/forgiveness/acceptance is his issue. 10,000 days seems to be a change in attitude from Judith, but they are different times of his life. No one believes as strongly or as poorly from one moment to the next. I'm sure that in retrospect he sees his mother as being the strongest person in her faith that he has ever known. It's not an angry song, but reflects his intent that she deserves the best God has to offer because of her strong commitment to him during her life. He loves his mother despite the fact that he didn't understand (at least in one point of his life) how she could love someone that supposedly caused her suffering. There is no hypocrisy..only human experience.
OFFLINE |  
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
06-02-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Go, go, keep going, you're great, your amazing, keep it up!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #233
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Go, go, keep going, you're great, your amazing, keep it up!
OFFLINE |  
Parabola7001
06-03-2006, 12:32 AM

lol submachine gun! why listen to MKJ talk about the lyrics and what it ment. not all songs are ment to take as fact. They are left for the person to think what the song is about. but in the question that you are asking i think you should listen to it cause its not a commentary on the Song but one on his aspect on the topic at hand. Im giving you the man himself. The man you are questioning is anwsering your question and you won't anwser. hypocritical?

your not a tool fan
Old 06-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #234
Level 3 - Talker

lol submachine gun! why listen to MKJ talk about the lyrics and what it ment. not all songs are ment to take as fact. They are left for the person to think what the song is about. but in the question that you are asking i think you should listen to it cause its not a commentary on the Song but one on his aspect on the topic at hand. Im giving you the man himself. The man you are questioning is anwsering your question and you won't anwser. hypocritical?

your not a tool fan
OFFLINE |  
06-03-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Im giving you the man himself.
And if the import of his lyrics contradict his true beliefs, he is either a really poor storyteller, or a hypocrite.

Wings I and II is not about respect for his dead mother, its about his dead mothers soul.

If he believes, he is a fool and a hypocrite.

If he doesn't, then the song works only as a joke.

Pick a side.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #235
On Probation

Quote:
Im giving you the man himself.
And if the import of his lyrics contradict his true beliefs, he is either a really poor storyteller, or a hypocrite.

Wings I and II is not about respect for his dead mother, its about his dead mothers soul.

Pick a side.
OFFLINE |  
four_degrees_higher
06-03-2006, 09:11 AM

submachine...tell us exactly what Maynard believes in. Is it Christ? Does he follow Islamic beliefs? I don't believe he's said just what he believes in. Does he bash Jesus in all his songs, or are they metaphoric of something else? He's only offered a handfull of what he believes in: "all you know about me is what I've sold you, dumbfuck." I'm thinking he doesn't like the idea of following a belief blindly and doing what someone says without question. Look at Tom Cruise following Hubbard without any inclination of making a personal opinion. I'm sure Maynard doesn't feel there's anything wrong with being Christian, Islamic, Jewish, or any other religion if you're not an ass about it. Just make some individual thought about something, and don't be quick to hand out the "hypocrite" verdict.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #236
Level 2 - Poster

submachine...tell us exactly what Maynard believes in. Is it Christ? Does he follow Islamic beliefs? I don't believe he's said just what he believes in. Does he bash Jesus in all his songs, or are they metaphoric of something else? He's only offered a handfull of what he believes in: "all you know about me is what I've sold you, dumbfuck." I'm thinking he doesn't like the idea of following a belief blindly and doing what someone says without question. Look at Tom Cruise following Hubbard without any inclination of making a personal opinion. I'm sure Maynard doesn't feel there's anything wrong with being Christian, Islamic, Jewish, or any other religion if you're not an ass about it. Just make some individual thought about something, and don't be quick to hand out the "hypocrite" verdict.
OFFLINE |  
06-03-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_degrees_higher
I don't believe he's said just what he believes in.
Well isn't that convenient after a +15 year career. lol
Old 06-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #237
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_degrees_higher
I don't believe he's said just what he believes in.
Well isn't that convenient after a +15 year career. lol
OFFLINE |  
nighthawk's Avatar nighthawk
06-03-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Pick a side.
i don't think the song is a joke or that he is hypocrite, i think he only wishes that his mom manages to rest in peace and maybe to dedicate to her a beautiful song of farewell.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #238
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:

Pick a side.
i don't think the song is a joke or that he is hypocrite, i think he only wishes that his mom manages to rest in peace and maybe to dedicate to her a beautiful song of farewell.
06-03-2006, 05:09 PM

Well, i think the thing we are all hitting on here is what exactly makes this piece such an incredible masterpiece. Maynard manages to capture the ambivalence of his feelings regarding his mother and her death. To me, its clear he despises the organized religion his mother clung to (the way the Rev. sub clings to his own faith) and he has managed to keep his hatred so subtle that most of you have totally missed it. Actually, referring to her as a "pillar of faith" is hardly subtle at all that''s downright sarcastic. It seems he was a little miffed too that she seem to take all the worries of the world upon herself.
In the end - this is a song about two people who truly loved and believed in each other even if they didn't share the same belief system.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #239
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well, i think the thing we are all hitting on here is what exactly makes this piece such an incredible masterpiece. Maynard manages to capture the ambivalence of his feelings regarding his mother and her death. To me, its clear he despises the organized religion his mother clung to (the way the Rev. sub clings to his own faith) and he has managed to keep his hatred so subtle that most of you have totally missed it. Actually, referring to her as a "pillar of faith" is hardly subtle at all that''s downright sarcastic. It seems he was a little miffed too that she seem to take all the worries of the world upon herself.
In the end - this is a song about two people who truly loved and believed in each other even if they didn't share the same belief system.
06-03-2006, 05:12 PM

Pick a side. Says the Reverend Sub. PICK A SIDE.
PICK A SIDE
PICK A SDIE

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy."
Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #240
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Pick a side. Says the Reverend Sub. PICK A SIDE.
PICK A SIDE
PICK A SDIE

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy."

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply