opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/04 - Oakland, CA - Paramount Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredflag
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned

If you are going to one of the other mini shows check out the mega sized 10,000 days posters - very cool if you like Alex Grays art.
I suggest you get one right when you show up, because they sell out. I was offered $50 for mine.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

I was actually a little disappointed at this show. Coachella was awesome simply for the fact that it had been 4 years since I'd seen them live, but I thought we'd get something more than a "singles" tour for the smaller venues.

I think Justin stood out most in the Oakland show (in a good way). Adam was a little off, seemed to be just jamming on some songs, like he was experimenting or something. Maynard's voice cracked a couple of times. I've never witnessed that live before. I was obviously excited to see Tool. I did fly from so cal for the show, but there was just something missing.

The lateralus small venue tour was infinitely better. It was more cohesive. The setlist fit together much better, like the album did. I guess this setlist was similar to the 10000 days album. It was great to actually hear Maynard and not the crowd singing the songs. Lateralus seemed out of place in the setlist and should never be played before vicarious and aenema, huge conflict there.

I've got two more shows to see on this tour. Hopefully they mix it up a bit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowisMytimE
What did Maynard have on his side the first few songs?
i think it was a keyboard being used as a midi device.

what a great show. the new visuals were amazing, continuing with the water theme. the new songs sounded tight and full of energy. i think Maynard had a little trouble with the highs and the band sounded slightly rusty, but overall it was great to see the guys in a smaller venue. just like back in the day!

HOWEVER, like Mr T before me, i pity the fool who paid more than face value for these tickets. a 90 minute Tool set is not worth much more than $70. i've been to tons of shows and i don't think i've ever paid that much, much less some of the inflated amounts i've seen on ebay. i'm really glad i kept my sanity and didn't break down and pay more for tickets. to those who missed the show: it was a great show, but not THE greatest show i've seen. whether it was worth $70 is debatable. certainly not much more. feel bad if you missed Tool, but think of it as saving your money for next time (which won't be too far away).
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

Third (eye blind) Tool show for me and easily the best. I did notice the crowd singing on every song, as was I, and banging our collective heads in unison. Somebody else, here, likened it to a church service. I, too, felt like I was a tent revival. It was phenomenal. The emotions I felt during that show were as close as I've ever come to a religious experience. And, as I think is their wont, Tool left me wanting more even tho, after that set, I couldn't have screamed another note (I hope I wasn't the guy singing badly in a previous poster's ear), nor could my body have undulated anymore than it had through the entire show. Maynard reminded me of the woman at the beginning of every James Bond movie...and his being in silouhette the whole time left me wanting more. "Left me wanting more" seems to be the theme surrounding Tool. And not in a bad way. After the release of each CD, I want more (and, perhaps it is this wanting the band seeks for its fans, as it might encourage the faithful to go into each song and find its hidden treasures). But, fuck, I rant. The show was awesome and well worth the $200 I forked over (not happily but, oh well).
Old 05-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Great show. Some minor things I wish were a bit different:

-Less 10,000 Days (or just more songs period)
-What's with the cheesy computer visuals? I want dissections!
-Maynards voice cracked on Schism. I have never heard him do that. It was kinda weird.

Aside from that Forty Six & 2 FUCKING KILLED it. The Patient was awesome live as always. I love the drum build ups...

Aenema was pretty heavy. Lateralus was good, but a little out of place in the set list as someone mentioned. I did feel like this set didn't "flow" as well as others I've heard. It seemed on the Laterlus tour it had more of a start and it had to somewhere to get to. By the time we were 'spiraling out' you were lifted so high up it was crazy. This set seemed a bit scattered. Still TOOL and you can't really lose however you look at it.

And yeah, pretty single heavy. I was hoping for Flood or some old gems. Great venue, great sound. Looking forward to a longer set (with less 10,0000 Days. Although I'll probably know it better by then) and different visuals. I really like the huge backdrops they used to rock. I know its a small venue warm up show and I should know better... That's just my opinion.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

i agree with you that they were a little rusty, which is to be expected i guess. i mean, i think "warm up" tour means that this is rehearsal for the actual tour(?). it seemed like the new songs were tighter than the old ones. i did hear Maynard havin some trouble, seemed like he reached for his water every five minutes (maybe he has a cold?).

i wouldn't say i was disappointed, though. i never get to see the band in these type of venues anymore and for that reason alone it was worth the high ticket price. but like i said, not higher. if i had seen the small venue tour the last time around i would have something more to compare it to. the fact that it was such an early start and i had to rush to the WC before the first song didn't help my experience much. come to think of it, if they played the night before in Seattle the early start probably affected the band too.

re Adam's experimentation: i actually like it when the band does stuff a little differently live. he played a little phrase during Stinkfist that was new and sounded really cool, i thought.

i'm not sure i agree with you about Laterlus, either. it didn't sound out of place before those songs to me at all. song-wise overall though i would've liked to hear some different stuff off Aenima like Eulogy, Jimmy or Third Eye. but whatever. they're not a jukebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fluorescence
I was actually a little disappointed at this show. Coachella was awesome simply for the fact that it had been 4 years since I'd seen them live, but I thought we'd get something more than a "singles" tour for the smaller venues.

I think Justin stood out most in the Oakland show (in a good way). Adam was a little off, seemed to be just jamming on some songs, like he was experimenting or something. Maynard's voice cracked a couple of times. I've never witnessed that live before. I was obviously excited to see Tool. I did fly from so cal for the show, but there was just something missing.

The lateralus small venue tour was infinitely better. It was more cohesive. The setlist fit together much better, like the album did. I guess this setlist was similar to the 10000 days album. It was great to actually hear Maynard and not the crowd singing the songs. Lateralus seemed out of place in the setlist and should never be played before vicarious and aenema, huge conflict there.

I've got two more shows to see on this tour. Hopefully they mix it up a bit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome Show!!! I was about 12 rows back on Justin's side and LOVED it!

Justin waaay exceeded my expectations and played parts I didn't even realize was the bass. He had the perfect sound and thump to that thing and he OWNED The Pot! This guy is severely underrated as one of the best bassists out there and watch this guy melt into his bass and you know it!

Adam was good... messed up a few parts and unfortunately they were usually when it's just him so it was noticeable. He was on the other side from me and didn't watch him much. It was cool to see him break out the talk-box.

Maynard was slightly more calm than usual but morecasual too... and I liked that. I didn't notice more than a couple missed notes or cracks and he was otherwise amazing. The Patient was all about Maynard and I have never heard him sing to that extent before. I've only seen them three times but Maynard was worlds better last night than ever. I personally like seeing him in in jeans, boots, and a cowboy hat as opposed to the cross-dressing or polka-dots and such.

Danny Danny Danny! I spent 75% of the night staring at this drum God! I can't say anything here that will do justice to what I witnessed last night! 46 & 2 solo was perfect. All his drums shook your organs and the cymbals were crisp and clear. He hit some ressonating drum a few times during The Patient that hummed and shook the whole place. He is always my favorite part of the show but I was pleasantly surprised with Justin.

I don't think I heard one flaw from either Danny or Justin, and actually they were even better than I expected!

A fellow behind me was kind enough to smoke a nice fattie with me. I didn't bring anything in because I've never seen a show like this in a place like this. Once the band played the pot smoke was everywhere though. Unless you're right next to an usher you were fine.

Overall, Great Show! Perfect Length (it IS a warm-up show after all and I thought est. 1:45 was just right). Perfect Volume. It was plenty loud from where I was and any louder would have definitely sacrificed sound quality. I could hear Maynard great! I would have liked to have seen just one from Opiate, perhaps Opiate itself, but no complaints. My favorite performances were probably The Pot (amazine live!), The Patient (Maynard nailed the vocals!), Rosetta Stoned, and anything Danny Carey. I can't wait until this Fall!

Anyone attending these warm-up shows are in for a treat!

BTW, I was lucky enough to get my pair through Ticketmaster for $160 or so. Sweet!

Cheers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

Great Show!!!

It seems to me that everyone on this board either thought it was the best show ever, or a little less than stellar. I fall into the ladder category. This was my 5th TOOL show, and my 2nd small venue show. I thought overall the guys, especially Adam, were a bit rusty. It pains me to say so because I would like nothing more than to praise Adam as he is and always will be the main force behind TOOL. So when you see him miss a lead on almost every song...it gets a little freightening. I will say that for 98% of the show, the guys were perfect though. Schism, probably my least favorite song on the setlist, sounded the best...and even though the new stuff rocked, it did appear as if they weren't as comfortable playing it live yet...which is understandable for only their 3rd show in almost 3 and a half years.

I second what one poster wrote about the extended version of Stinkfest...what gives...that middle part they added for the Lateralus tours was AMAZING...please bring that back guys.

I might seem a bit negative about the show, but afterall this is my favorite band, and I know each note on each one of their songs...so yes, I'm extremely critical especially since I've seen them put on 3 flawless shows. But, this was advertised as a warm-up show, and that's what we got. I'm even more excited to see them come around in the Fall...they'll be more seasoned, and the setlist will be more evolved.

Crowd was great...very loud between songs, but not anoying during them.

Highlights:

Schism - Vintage Tool, hit every note, not one fuck up...FLAWLESS
The Patient - Very good rendition
Sober w/ intense feedback - Heard the song in every show thus far, and it was very good tonight
Rosetta Stoned - Just because....unbelievable song...wish they would have played it later on in the set though.

See ya'll next time
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Also...I was next to one of those Ushers :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #50
Level 3 - Talker

I'd say more than 3/4 of the people paid way over the top of face value including me and although initially I felt cheated, all thoughts of money washed away as the band took the stage. It's cool too to realize that money... is just that-- and it's too bad some people would rather have it than an experience. I work at TJ's and I dropped my paycheck on this concert. I may now live in a tent but I'm happy as a clam!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin IV
Great Show!!!

It seems to me that everyone on this board either thought it was the best show ever, or a little less than stellar. I fall into the ladder category. This was my 5th TOOL show, and my 2nd small venue show.

I might seem a bit negative about the show, but afterall this is my favorite band, and I know each note on each one of their songs...so yes, I'm extremely critical especially since I've seen them put on 3 flawless shows. But, this was advertised as a warm-up show, and that's what we got. I'm even more excited to see them come around in the Fall...they'll be more seasoned, and the setlist will be more evolved.

Sadly, I'm in the underwhelmed category too. Sixth Tool show, and the only one that didn't completely blow my head off (or give me goosebumps more than a couple of times). It sounded great, yes--if painfully loud a couple of times from my seat in the 10th row, but didn't want to use earplugs. Compared to other shows though, it seemed like the guys were on autopilot or something...like they weren't actually *feeling* it. Maybe I was just drained after 2 days of sweating whether my tickets would be delivered in time.

Jambi & Vicarious kicked ass, as did Lateralus & Aenima.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #52

what did everyone think of 46 & 2?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #53
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenweasel
It must have been dependent upon where you were at in the venue. I was on the floor, about ten rows back on Justin's side and those vocals were so clear for me. I was really impressed by that part specifically. I did have a little trouble hearing bits and pieces here and there (Danny's electronics never seemed loud enough) but overall, not bad at all.
I agree that his electronic drums were basically inaudible. Otherwise, sound was tops.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #54
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky
Loved it\m/ Danny was a beast on that one especially. Really fun song live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #55
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Great Show!!!

It seems to me that everyone on this board either thought it was the best show ever, or a little less than stellar. I fall into the ladder category. This was my 5th TOOL show, and my 2nd small venue show. I thought overall the guys, especially Adam, were a bit rusty. It pains me to say so because I would like nothing more than to praise Adam as he is and always will be the main force behind TOOL. So when you see him miss a lead on almost every song...it gets a little freightening. I will say that for 98% of the show, the guys were perfect though. Schism, probably my least favorite song on the setlist, sounded the best...and even though the new stuff rocked, it did appear as if they weren't as comfortable playing it live yet...which is understandable for only their 3rd show in almost 3 and a half years.

I second what one poster wrote about the extended version of Stinkfest...what gives...that middle part they added for the Lateralus tours was AMAZING...please bring that back guys.

Highlights:

Schism - Vintage Tool, hit every note, not one fuck up...FLAWLESS
The Patient - Very good rendition
Sober w/ intense feedback - Heard the song in every show thus far, and it was very good tonight
Rosetta Stoned - Just because....unbelievable song...wish they would have played it later on in the set though.

See ya'll next time
I never considered Adam to be the "driving force" of this band. To me, part of what makes Tool so unique is that they are primarily bass/drums driven. Adam did fuck up the most of all of them, but it really wasn't too bad (except for Eon Blue Apocalypse....man I can play that part even!). Overall though I think he did good, the talkbox on Jambi worked phenomenally well. Also, I found the new songs to be really the highlights of the set, to me the band sounded very comfortable playing them. They didn't get a big reaction from the crowd unforunately (except for Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned since it was the opener), but I sure as hell loved 'em. Schism is also one of my least favorite Tool songs, but they really nailed it last night and I enjoyed it. The Patient was much improve dover the studio version as well........and how can nayone not just love that massive feedback build into Sober?\m/ \m/ \m/ The highlights for me were the new songs plus Lateralus, as it is my favorite Tool song of all time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #56
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown12
i think it was a keyboard being used as a midi device.

what a great show. the new visuals were amazing, continuing with the water theme. the new songs sounded tight and full of energy. i think Maynard had a little trouble with the highs and the band sounded slightly rusty, but overall it was great to see the guys in a smaller venue. just like back in the day!

HOWEVER, like Mr T before me, i pity the fool who paid more than face value for these tickets. a 90 minute Tool set is not worth much more than $70. i've been to tons of shows and i don't think i've ever paid that much, much less some of the inflated amounts i've seen on ebay. i'm really glad i kept my sanity and didn't break down and pay more for tickets. to those who missed the show: it was a great show, but not THE greatest show i've seen. whether it was worth $70 is debatable. certainly not much more. feel bad if you missed Tool, but think of it as saving your money for next time (which won't be too far away).
Money is of no real importance compared to the memories and the experience. The pair of tix cost a total of $320, plus $90 in merchandise. More than worth it for me, personally. I'm sorry if you don't feel that way. I'd do it again in a heartbeat,
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show! Paid face value but would have paid a lot more!

Does anyone know what type of speaker system they're using on this tour?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I thought overall the guys, especially Adam, were a bit rusty. It pains me to say so because I would like nothing more than to praise Adam as he is and always will be the main force behind TOOL.
I have to say that I think, like someone said before me, that Tool's driving force has always been the rythym section. But really, one of the great things about this band is that they all play such important roles in the band. It wouldn't be Tool without any of them.

I spent the least time watching Adam (I was in front of Justin and Danny's side anyway) and he was the only member I was less than impressed with. Don't get me wrong. He is amazing, but whenever he screwed up it was very obvious.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #59

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
...and how can nayone not just love that massive feedback build into Sober?\m/ \m/ \m/...
That was fucking great. I really felt like Sober was one of the highlights of the set, which is pretty commendable considering the song's age and how many times I've heard them do it live. It felt like they really poured their hearts and bodies into that song last night. Very heavy and very intense.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky
I fucking loved 46 & 2, truly one of the best Tool songs. For me, every song was a headbanging success. I can see a couple of folks on the board being critical (or even hypercritical) about this performance. I suppose, for me, had they come out playing polka music, I still would've had Toolgasms all night. I thought the setlist, as a whole, too, was well put together. Rosetta Stoned, The Pot, Vicarious KICKED ASS. As others have already stated, I would have liked to hear Eulogy; H. woulda been a good choice and at least one opiate song (I gotta say, too, I'd love for them to include No Quarter...best ever Zep cover).
Old 05-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #61
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

46&2 set the place on fire if you ask me...my girlfriend and I were the ones wearing the glow sticks in case anyone saw us haha =)

Definitely one of the better performances I've seen. Only wish I had got one of those posters! Curses!

that we are all one mind.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

i enjoyed it...but

tool fucking rocks, don't get me wrong...but i was disappointed at the fact they didn't seem to have a central theme or feeling to their performance. I attended the lateralus tour, and felt that show was much more epic, had a theme, and really created a journey for the audience. this show was more of a straight up rock concert...the highlights for me were Lateralus and blamehoffman/rosettastoned...other than the lack of some sort of epic feel, the concert was excellent...blew me away.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #63
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambandmartyr
(I gotta say, too, I'd love for them to include No Quarter...best ever Zep cover).
I wonder if you were the guy in front of me yelling for them to play it?:D There definitely was someone doing that...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #64
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: i enjoyed it...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaceres
tool fucking rocks, don't get me wrong...but i was disappointed at the fact they didn't seem to have a central theme or feeling to their performance. I attended the lateralus tour, and felt that show was much more epic, had a theme, and really created a journey for the audience. this show was more of a straight up rock concert...the highlights for me were Lateralus and blamehoffman/rosettastoned...other than the lack of some sort of epic feel, the concert was excellent...blew me away.
The reason for that is because this is not your typical Tool show. This was very laid-back, casual, and ass-kicking. I like seeing this side of them better in fact, just having fun instead of having it all scripted.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #65
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus_Opiate_Seclorum
46&2 set the place on fire if you ask me...my girlfriend and I were the ones wearing the glow sticks in case anyone saw us haha =)

Definitely one of the better performances I've seen. Only wish I had got one of those posters! Curses!
Dang:( That poster is actually abov emy bed right now, looks FABULOUS\m/
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

I do not mean to go on some boring rant with this post, but last night was one of the most frustrating of my life, and, subsequently, the show was among the worst that I have ever seen. NOTE: THIS IS IN NO WAY THE BAND'S FAULT. The band was awesome, and it probably would have been the best Tool show out of the five that I have seen. However, does anyone have any idea why someone would go to the trouble of buying tickets to this show (we all know how difficult it was) only to get pissed drunk and drop acid during it? Now, I have nothing against alcohol or drug use. To each their own. However, if you cannot handle yourself when you are under the influence maybe you shouldn't do it. We were on the floor in the rear orchestra section, and there were two idiot kids who dropped acid (or it may have been a speed-based ecstasy) as the band took the stage. For the entire show, these kids (one in particular) were just freaking out. Not in the good way, either. They were screaming for no reason all of the time, and were flailing around like idiots. They would go out into the aisle and try to mosh around, but were always confronted by the security. It came to a head about half way through 'Vicarious' when the screaming and aggression got really bad. During 'Sober' I had decided that since these two jackasses had already ruined the show for my brother and I, I was going to take the $150 I paid for my ticket out on their faces, so I had to use a good amount of self-control. Anyway, I went and got the same security guard and told him that he needed to remove them. While he was doing so, one of the kids told my brother to go fuck himself, and I almost exploded. I got into it with the kid, but he didn't do anything besides try to give me some half-assed 'hard' look. As the security guard was dragging him out, he said that he would meet me outside. I told him that I looked forward to it, but, surprise, he wasn't there after the show. I am usually a very laid back person, but I have never been as angry as I was last night. I wanted to rip that kid's mohawk off of his scalp. Anyway, I know that every person within the vicinity of those two was extremely angry and upset during the entire show (especially the two guys sitting to our right, and the cool kid that I met who was sitting to my left). So I would like to offer any one who knows about the incident an opportunity to chime in by responding to my post. I know that it may sound kind of petty to some of you reading this, but trust me: it ruined the concert for all of us last night. What frustrates and disappoints me the most, though, is that this kind of incident is completely antithetical to what Tool, philosophically speaking, is all about. OK, that's the end of the rant. On a side note: it seems to me that Maynard is paying homage to the late Hunter S. Thompson with his newest stage persona. It especially makes sense to me because the lyrics to 'Rosetta Stoned' read like a piece of Gonzo journalism. Anyway, sorry if I wasted your time, but thanks for reading!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

That sucks. I had an experience along similar lines. My friend and I were walking out of the show (which was excellent) all excited and giddy and as we headed toward the parking garage noticed it was locked. Apparently they lock up at 7:30 so we were basically stranded on that unfamiliar planet called oakland for about an hour. Since when do parking garages close that early! Thankfully my friend got a hold of his buddy and we crashed there for the night (not before being harrassed by bums asking us if our clothes were new-which, no, they're not...!).
The show itself was amazing. Some said the graphics were lacking but I enjoyed them. Plus Maynard was in a cowboy hat without his shirt on, what could be better?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #68
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

Just a fucking amazing show. Offically my ninth TOOL show, Rossetta Stoned was so good live. I thought it interesting watching Adam move during rosetta stoned (9 tool shows never once has he moved). Maynard was very clear and spot on, only showing some rust on Lateralus. Everything sounded sweet, Justin was "rocking out'" for alot of the set, to me there was alot of synergy in every moment nothing seemed odd or out of place. Just wish we had a longer set. 12 songs, although 12 tool songs, still leaves me wanting more. Even the crowd didn't suck, novel for a Tool show. All in all a great show. I wish Tool would do more small venues I really do. To me its worth every inch of the shit I had to do. Since the full setlist has been posted there is no need for me to post it. Although 46 and 2 was after the pot. I hope everyone else had as good a time as I did.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacement
Switch the Pot and 46 & 2 and you've got the right setlist.

The boys have come a long way since I first saw them open for Henry Rollins at the Warfield in July 1992. I think this was my 23rd Tool show (I lost my list) and they just keep getting better. No complaints, well maybe just the meatheads that invaded mine & my wife's space throughout the show. But the music and visuals again were an amazing blend. I'm actually looking forward to the arena shows to see how much more they add to the stage.
Your the first person that Ive seen that was at that Warfield concert in 92'. That is the concert that changed my life musically speaking. Went to see Rollins and came away a tool fan. I wasnt normal for at least 2-3 days after that concert. I was reading the reviews and saw yours and I feel the same way. Its been so cool to watch tool evolve from that evening in 92' to now. Ive been to 7 tool shows now and I enjoyed every one of them. Last night was great, but next time im not goin g to bring someone who isint really into tool. My company was a real drag and I felt responsible to babysit the asshole. Complaints and stuff. Told him next time stay home. The new stuff sounded really good, I was very impressed with those songs considering they have only been played 2 times prior live. Here's to tool coming back soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #70
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM
I have nothing against alcohol or drug use. To each their own. However, if you cannot handle yourself when you are under the influence maybe you shouldn't do it. We were on the floor in the rear orchestra section, and there were two idiot kids who dropped acid (or it may have been a speed-based ecstasy) as the band took the stage. For the entire show, these kids (one in particular) were just freaking out. Not in the good way, either. They were screaming for no reason all of the time, and were flailing around like idiots.
I think I saw the kids your talking about. They were rather loud even before the show. I'm sorry you had to deal with them that close, I was above you and even I found them annoying before the show. I think if I had to deal with them I would not have shown is much self control as you. I'm sorry you had to put up with those idiots. Unless these were different idiots I saw. But know that you will have other chances to see the boys.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

Great show, 5th show, and yea there was smoke the second they started playing- which was sad because I was all the way in the back (Z) and next to an ushure, yet we were able to smoke a good bit of hash. ;^} At one point- during the Pot i believe- these lights on stage were pointed up at the roof and Adam stared at all the smoke up there. Wonder how we rank in the bud smoking catagory.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #72
Level 3 - Talker

Hey Trevor, were you near row JJ just to left of the center? If so, I saw those kids, if not, there were more assholes infront of them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Not too bad for the 3rd show in 06. I can't wait to see them come back around at the end of summer. The highlights for me, were the last 2 songs vicarious and aenema. I was hoping for right in two, but it didnt even matter. It was a bad ass show, and the small venue was a nice treat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM
I do not mean to go on some boring rant with this post, but last night was one of the most frustrating of my life, and, subsequently, the show was among the worst that I have ever seen. NOTE: THIS IS IN NO WAY THE BAND'S FAULT. The band was awesome, and it probably would have been the best Tool show out of the five that I have seen. However, does anyone have any idea why someone would go to the trouble of buying tickets to this show (we all know how difficult it was) only to get pissed drunk and drop acid during it? Now, I have nothing against alcohol or drug use. To each their own. However, if you cannot handle yourself when you are under the influence maybe you shouldn't do it. We were on the floor in the rear orchestra section, and there were two idiot kids who dropped acid (or it may have been a speed-based ecstasy) as the band took the stage. For the entire show, these kids (one in particular) were just freaking out. Not in the good way, either. They were screaming for no reason all of the time, and were flailing around like idiots. They would go out into the aisle and try to mosh around, but were always confronted by the security. It came to a head about half way through 'Vicarious' when the screaming and aggression got really bad. During 'Sober' I had decided that since these two jackasses had already ruined the show for my brother and I, I was going to take the $150 I paid for my ticket out on their faces, so I had to use a good amount of self-control. Anyway, I went and got the same security guard and told him that he needed to remove them. While he was doing so, one of the kids told my brother to go fuck himself, and I almost exploded. I got into it with the kid, but he didn't do anything besides try to give me some half-assed 'hard' look. As the security guard was dragging him out, he said that he would meet me outside. I told him that I looked forward to it, but, surprise, he wasn't there after the show. I am usually a very laid back person, but I have never been as angry as I was last night. I wanted to rip that kid's mohawk off of his scalp. Anyway, I know that every person within the vicinity of those two was extremely angry and upset during the entire show (especially the two guys sitting to our right, and the cool kid that I met who was sitting to my left). So I would like to offer any one who knows about the incident an opportunity to chime in by responding to my post. I know that it may sound kind of petty to some of you reading this, but trust me: it ruined the concert for all of us last night. What frustrates and disappoints me the most, though, is that this kind of incident is completely antithetical to what Tool, philosophically speaking, is all about. OK, that's the end of the rant. On a side note: it seems to me that Maynard is paying homage to the late Hunter S. Thompson with his newest stage persona. It especially makes sense to me because the lyrics to 'Rosetta Stoned' read like a piece of Gonzo journalism. Anyway, sorry if I wasted your time, but thanks for reading!
yeah, me and my buddy were sitting to the left of those guys (i was the dude with long hair in a sleeveless pantera shirt and my friend was bald with a tool shirt. those guys were too much, i was doing my best just to ignore them and block them out. before the show started, those guys looked at me and were like, "great im glad that we are sitting next to fellow Pantera fans cuz i didnt want to sit next to a bitchy couple." those guys were just going to the show in the mentality that they would be in the pit and in seats it just doesnt cut it. me and my friend were talking this the whole ride home
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 03:32 AM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Take this as you will..

Here's some pics ya'll.. some are blurry but oh well.. the first ones more so than the later.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/thejungian/

Last edited by PartiallyEatenRaisinBagel; 05-06-2006 at 04:10 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #76
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

overall, a dissapointing show. my 6th tool show and the only one that hasnt blown me away. i am really bummed about the setlist. i mean, do we really need to hear sober again?!?!?!?!?! how is that the only track they play from the first half of their career? i just feel that they are playing the exact same setlist as their last tour in 2002. where is eulogy, sweat, hwap, or swamp song? cant they mix it up a little bit? the setlist was my only real concern until my buddy on the way home made a good point: what the fuck is up with maynard? where is the stage presence we remember? why doesnt he go crazy during aenima? where are the crazy dance movements and energy? he just stood there for half of lateralus drinking water. maynard in the back shadows is fine if he puts on a show. but maynard in the back shadows just drinking water in a cowboy hat and sunglasses is pretty fucking boring. adam and justin are not very active on stage, so that leaves just danny to watch... who is fucking amazing. Overall, i thought it sounded incredible, it was my first small venue show and i loved the new view points i got. But tool really needs to get their act together for concerts:
change up the fucking setlist!!!!!! you dont have to play every single. the vast majority of people at these shows are hardcore fans, play some "abstract" songs, surprise us a little. throw in a surprise encore.
enough complaining though. im happy i went, love the new album, songs sounded great. hope things change though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #77
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdwingdx
overall, a dissapointing show. my 6th tool show and the only one that hasnt blown me away. i am really bummed about the setlist. i mean, do we really need to hear sober again?!?!?!?!?! how is that the only track they play from the first half of their career? i just feel that they are playing the exact same setlist as their last tour in 2002. where is eulogy, sweat, hwap, or swamp song? cant they mix it up a little bit? the setlist was my only real concern until my buddy on the way home made a good point: what the fuck is up with maynard? where is the stage presence we remember? why doesnt he go crazy during aenima? where are the crazy dance movements and energy? he just stood there for half of lateralus drinking water. maynard in the back shadows is fine if he puts on a show. but maynard in the back shadows just drinking water in a cowboy hat and sunglasses is pretty fucking boring. adam and justin are not very active on stage, so that leaves just danny to watch... who is fucking amazing. Overall, i thought it sounded incredible, it was my first small venue show and i loved the new view points i got. But tool really needs to get their act together for concerts:
change up the fucking setlist!!!!!! you dont have to play every single. the vast majority of people at these shows are hardcore fans, play some "abstract" songs, surprise us a little. throw in a surprise encore.
enough complaining though. im happy i went, love the new album, songs sounded great. hope things change though.
The reason for not playing those songs and mixing it up is because htis is merely a warm-up tour. For the arena tour I'm sur eit'll be like Lateralus where they rotated songs in and out almost on a nightly basis.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishpizza
Hey Trevor, were you near row JJ just to left of the center? If so, I saw those kids, if not, there were more assholes infront of them.
We were in row NN just left of center, so it could have been the same assholes
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown_rockstar
yeah, me and my buddy were sitting to the left of those guys (i was the dude with long hair in a sleeveless pantera shirt and my friend was bald with a tool shirt. those guys were too much, i was doing my best just to ignore them and block them out. before the show started, those guys looked at me and were like, "great im glad that we are sitting next to fellow Pantera fans cuz i didnt want to sit next to a bitchy couple." those guys were just going to the show in the mentality that they would be in the pit and in seats it just doesnt cut it. me and my friend were talking this the whole ride home
Yeah I remember the two of you. I felt really bad for you guys for having to sit next to them. We tried to ignore them too, but it was hard when that kid without his shirt on was screaming in our faces all night long. I knew it was going to be bad as soon as they got to their seats and started talking to you guys. They didn't exactly seem like the brightest stars in the galaxy. Thanks for your reply.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

To AMF, Agenda, and The Michellester: Thanks for all of your replies. Yeah I am looking forward to the arena tour just because I know that there is no way that it can be as bad an experience as Thursday night was ;) I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you, Michellester. Good thing you guys knew someone in the area!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: