opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/06 - Tempe, AZ - ASU Gammage

SETLIST --

Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/06 - Tempe, AZ - ASU Gammage

Unbelievable show! My first live Tool experience and it blew away any other band I have ever seen previously. Was lucky enough to get the tickets on ticketmaster when they were released so I didn't have to pay any huge mark ups. Every song was lights out! Can't even pick a favorite...TOOL...You Bet!

p.s.

Oh yeah they added Lipan Conjuring as the opening song before LK/Rosetta Stoned
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Same setlists as previous shows, Unbelievable acoustics in Gammage Hall This was my 6th Tool show and was the best sounding show I have seen, worth every penny. I do wish they would deviate from the same setlist and mix it up a little though. It was great to see Tool again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus

*sit down*

Vicarious
Ænema

My ears are gone.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

AHHHHHHHHHH. I am thoroughly rocked.

...more later

Last edited by begmetostay; 05-06-2006 at 10:26 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Wow, this was my 3rd tool show. Best sounding one yet! I also wish they would have deviated from their now standard setlist. But Lipan Conjure was a great opening. I have never felt sound like that. Every hair on body was pulsating to the vibrations. Unbeleivable. Worth the $350 price tag.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

hell's lord requests king buzzo

hey. satan here.

you are fulfiilling your contractual obligations to me nicely; however, i've noticed many of my minions are incorrectly criticizing adam (co-signer number two) for missing notes. they can't seem to understand how even when channelling many demons, only one guitar can be played at a time.

why not add a second guitarist on for the tour? might i suggest roger since he is already on my payroll as well (co-signer number one of contract melvins). having all the recorded guitar licks and riffs capable of being channelled might appease the teeming masses.

lest you forget, a disquieted crowd is capable of independent thought, and being a participant (willing or not) in the unraveling of my clandestine operations is in direct violation of subsection 46.2. do i have to remind you what a breach in contract portends?

your swift resolution of this matter is expected.

h. manback

Last edited by 666; 05-06-2006 at 11:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
DR5
Level 2 - Poster

LOL, who the fuck is this guy? Welcome to the forums satan.

The piece of lyrics in vicarious about death rattle etc. hasn't exactly been figured out, but tonight it sounded pretty clear to me.

"Stare at the transmitter,
Sing to the death rattle"

At least it makes sense to me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

awesome show! worth every penny!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Great show. 3rd one I've seen this week.

I went to the venue at 6pm and they were selling tickets for face value, my friend got 2 behind the sound booth, row 17, I had row 28 tickets that my friend got online.

First time playing Lipan Conjuring, at first I thought it was Adam singing but my friend said it was someone else, a native american maybe?

Good engery, flawless drumming, no cracking voices or missed notes. maynard is much less active than in previous tours. Gone are the convulsions during the climaxes of songs. Gone are the days where he strips to his underwear. Cowboy hat and Jeans is the norm now. At first he came out circling the front of the stage during Rosetta Stoned with a short black mohawk.

Before the last two songs they all 4 sat on the platform that Maynard stands on. Danny and Adam both laid down.

maynard encouraged everyone to buy the new album because he wants to put a new wing on th winery, he also wants to pay off the bill for gold plating his range rover.

The lakers lost tonight so Danny was wearing the Kansas Jersey instead of the Lakers Jersey. Did I mention that his drumming was flawless? Great doesn't do him justice.

Before the encore Maynard said "this is where we pretend to say goodbye" then they played Lateralus.

That's all for now.

Oh I drove out yesterday with 3 friends from San Diego. We spent the night on Mill Ave, went to Fat Tuesdays aftarer the show. Before the show we ate at a bar and grill that had a good happy hour. Also smoked in the car on Mill ave. pretty fun.

Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and I needed to change my pants after it was over. It was unbelievable, such a good show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

--My 4th TOOL show--

Ok, check out this CINDERELLA STORY. When I tried to buy a ticket to this show when they went on sale, they were sold out I couldn't get shit. Then I started eyeing ebay last night made a couple of offers and nothing. Today I decided I'm going to do whatever I can to see this show so, I drove down to the ASU auditorium and taped a sign to the back and front of my shirt that said "Have An Extra Ticket? I'll Buy It" at first I was only approached by scalpers wanting between $250-$350 a ticket. About 40 minutes after trying to find a ticket, I finally found a couple guys who hooked me up w/ one for ---get this $80, yes I said $80--- and the rest is history. To me this is a big deal, hope I haven't bored anyone, now on with the review....

This show was awesome, they did such a excellent job on their new material and there wasn't really a better opener than Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann), yes I know Lipan Conjuring was first (possibly Adams newphew involved), but I'm talking energy and electricity. The reverb (and the like in other shows) really gets you into that TOOL zone. Then into Rosetta Stone where Maynard had his voice deal straped on sporting sun glasses, a mohawk and a western type belt buckle (about 2-3 songs through he also sported a cowboy hat), bad ass.

Lots of new visuals, one I remember was this licorice type face rotating during "The Pot", another was a fire type which I think was during another one of the new jams (possibly Jambi, could have been The Patient). I like the new four vertical screens this time. Maynard talked about -gold plating his winery or something, and "smells like AZ" (refering to the hemp smoke?), finally and I may be wrong but the best quote was after cheering for the encore he said "you guys get 2nd place, first place goes to the greeter at WALMART".

I was gonna mention about them all sitting on Maynard's square stage while we were cheering the encore and I thought only Adam laid down (as to simulate passing out), even though someone already beat me to it. I did get my favorites: "Lateralus", "Aenema", and the new "Rosetta Stoned w/ Blame Hofmann intro". "The Patient" was flawless too.

At the end of the show Maynard threw about 5 empty water bottles into the crowd and Danny threw some drum sticks and I believe a drum skin. Maynard was the first to leave the stage and the last was Adam. By the way Adam Jones is the shit and underrated.

I debated about paying $35 for a shirt, but finally didn't, even though they were taking credit cards. I still kind of want one, if anyone has an extra one drop me a message.

Thank you again TOOL, for another stimulating, awesome, inspiring experience!!
TOOL ROCKS!!

Last edited by HanInCarbonite; 05-07-2006 at 08:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I think Bill McConnell does the vocals on "Lipan Conjuring." I am not sure if that was him or not though. My guess would be that it was him. I have been disappointed with the visuals thus far. I hope we see something like the last leg of the Lateralus tour when they come back around the states for the "main tour."
Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was pretty awesome. 2nd Tool show for me, and by far the best. The above reviews pretty much nailed it, but I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents:

- 46 and 2 was the highlight of the night. Danny's solo near the end was one of those moments you turned to the person next to you and said "HOLY SHIT." The crowd went absoultley nuts
- Schism didn't fit at all into the set list. I thought it killed the mood entirely.
- Lateralus is one of the best closing songs there is (I was there for the "encore", but I will always think of this song as it was played on the Lateralus tour - the last song). The gong at the end shook the whole damned auditorium and the end of the song had almost as much engery as the end of 46 and 2
- Danny's double bass almost blew my ears out and his electronic drum hit during the patient shook almost as loud as the gong

Awesome show. I can't wail until they return in the fall.

Quote:
Can someone explain please how the played Lipan Conjuring live? Was it recorded? How did they pull it off? COuld you see the person singing it? Details?!!
Danny walked out on stage with some sort of drum (he held it in his hand). Along side him was some other guy (many people have said Bill McConnel (?) - the guy who sang it on the album). Danny played and the other guy sang the chant. It was live and it was a very cool way to open after expecting them to start with LK.

Last edited by InsaneXero; 05-07-2006 at 10:14 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

This was my first Tool show and their performance and energy was just simply awesome. Seeing Maynard walk out on stage with his mohawk and megafone brought the entire crowd to an uproar. The riffs, the drumming, the vocals, it was all incredible and the sound produced from the auditorium was some of the best I've ever heard.

To me the highlights of the show were the 46 & 2 drum finisher, I've never realized how badass that solo is until I saw it in person. Hearing both Eon Blue and the Patient was great for me because its my personal favorite Tool song. The biggest highlight, in my opinion, was Lateralus. It starts off so sweet and slow and by the end of it the walls are shaking and the floor is pounding. The spiral chorus near the end sent chills throughtout my body, hearing that gong coming in around for the second time of the end chorus was literally an eargasm.

Maynard, after "pretending to say good night," just sat there with his crew at his platform and gave the crowd about a good minute or two to show their appreciation and then he walked casually over to the mic and sighed "fine, whatever" (which was hilarious) and then they went into Vicarious and Aenema.

There's so much more to talk about but to just simply describe the concert in two words it was Pure Awesomeness. Can't wait to see Tool when they come back for the U.S. finisher. Spiral Out.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Tool at Gammage Auditorium in Tempe AZ

I was one of the lucky ones able to attend last nights concert at Gammage. For those of you who have seen Tool live, you know how awesome they are. This was such a special venue to have the concert. The acoustics were second to none, and the band put on one hell of a show. 11 songs,. 2 hours. For anyone interested, here is a list of the songs they played. A few of the songs in the middle of the list might be out of order, but its pretty close, if not correct.

1) Rosetta Stoned
2) Stinkfist
3) 46 & 2
4) The Pot
5) Jambi
6) Schism
7) Patience
8) Sober
9) Lateralus
10) Vicarious
11) Anema

-It was a truley special night!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Holy Shit.

I'm 45 years old and haven't been to a real concert in years - this is a story worth telling...

On Thursday night, Cuatro de Mayo, my kids and I were on our way home from our Tae Kwon Do work out when the 9:00 Riot started up on the local radio station, KFMA. The deal is that they play the top five requested songs, you call in and tell the DJ what those five songs were and you win a prize.

So my boy Kyle (12) was all into it, but it was late when we got home and I told him to finish up his homework. He tried to tune in the radio station on our stereo, but when that didn't work he hit the web for the streaming broadcast. Before too long I heard him on the phone, then he was getting all excited - the little chump was NOT doing his homework.

Turns out he was caller number six, but caller number five screwed up and didn't have the songs in the right order. So my kid won - front row Tool tickets, right off center! We briefly thought about scalping, but man, are we glad we didn't!

On Friday we picked up the new CD (super cool case, btw) and hit the web to learn more about this band that we were only kind of familiar with. We checked out setlists and borrowed a few CDs to further our Tool education. We checked out the videos online and started to get totally stoked over our good fortune!

So, on Saturday we took the two-hour sunset drive to Tempe and arrived at Gammage Auditorium right around sundown. What a house! This is the last big place designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and it is a 3000-seat work of art.

We grabbed a couple of waters and picked up a Tool shirt for the boy (which he immediately changed into) then went into the auditorium. We walked down the side aisle and kept on walking... to the very front row - so close to the stage that we could reach out and touch it.

The stage was rather sparse: along the back were amps, riser, drum kit, and more amps in a row, with several video panels behind that. Two areas up near the front on either side with monitors and gear for Adam Jones (house left) and Justin Chancellor (house right). We were sitting directly in front of Justin's spot, with a house facing PA right in our under our noses. We had a clear view of the riser that Maynard ended up performing on and of Danny Carey's killer kit.

Well, as you know from reading the above posts, the show was nothing short of phenomenal. Unfortunately we didn't have a very good view of Adam, but Justin was right on top of us, and his playing was un-freaking-believable. I pointed out his blindingly nimble fret work to my kid, and we both noticed the way he would cajole and hammer an amazing variety of sound from that bass. Danny rules the kit. Adam was totally relaxed and totally on. And of course Maynard was awesome.

Kyle and I noticed no weak spots. The band was relaxed, yet focused and intense. They played like a well-oiled machine, with a nod or a glance to indicate that it was time to break the riff or move on to the next part of the song. The band was masterful, the show a masterpiece.

For Tool noobs like us, it was very cool to hear earlier hits like Sober, Schism, and Forty-Six & 2, and the new stuff just plain rocked hard - Rosetta Stoned is our new favorite song.

After the two "encore" songs, Justin walked to the edge of the stage, bent down, and handed my son his pick.

What a fucking night. Thanks KFMA. Thanks Tool. Thanks Kyle.
You'll learn something about men and women -- the way they're supposed to be. Caring for each other, being happy with each other, being good to each other. That's what we call love. You'll like that a lot.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Best sounding show out of the 25+ I’ve seen. Rosetta stoned is such a good song live!!! They were dead on with the new songs, but could have been better on the old ones. Vegas was great, but Tempe was better in my opinion. I really wish they would have changed the set list up a little bit and would have preferred not to be distracted by Maynard playing "Cowboy". I don't have a problem with cowboys, but after George Bush and broke back, I’m a little bit tired of that costume.
Duncan
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonguy77
Holy Shit.
Awesome story and good thing for Kyle not listening to his dad :-)

Great show last night and the sound in the venue was really good. First time I have seen a concert @ Gammage and came away really impressed. I do have a question though. Have other venues not sold booze at the shows? I mean they didn't even give you ice. If you bought a bottle of water or a coke they would pour it into a cup with no ice. I found this rather strange although I will say it was probably the tamest Tool show I have even been too. And even though they are playing basically the same set it was sure one rocking set! Lipan Conjuring opening was great too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

No bad seats in the house, and great sound... Could barely hear the GONG!!! Just kidding. Best "decoy" concert I've ever been to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanInCarbonite
--

...taped a sign to the back and front my shirt that said "Have An Extra Ticket? I'll Buy It"
i walked right by you. i thought it was like a frat boy prank or something
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

- Schism didn't fit at all into the set list. I thought it killed the mood entirely.

I thought the same thing, Intolerance or The Grudge would have been much better.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

^^ I saw you guys. I was about 7 rows back (in row 5 orchestra). My lady looked at me and said "Who takes their kid to a Tool show?". I told her "That guy does, hes fucking cool, and so is his son". Good story man. Glad you enjoyed it. Oh yea, Justin hit me in the head with a full water bottle because I was so focused on catching a drumstick from danny. THANKS!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Freakin awsome....Very spiritual experence. Maynard was all countrified boots and cowboy hat. Brokeback Maynard
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

Third time seeing Tool and the best so far. Opening with Lipan Conjuring was fuckin bad ass. Danny and his friend casually walked out to the front of the stage. Danny started playing a mellow beat on this little drum head that he was holding and his friend started with the chant.
Odly enough, i think the highlight for me was lost keys. The sustain that Justin got with his bass was so fuckin hynotic and powerfull. Then Rosetta Stoned. wow. epic. i would agree with the visuals being "half assed". but this was a 'warm up tour'. The visuals WILL be different for the fall tour. all in all, best damn show ive ever seen, in a killer venue with amazing acoustics.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #26

My 4th tool show and nothing short of amazing .... All I can add to this is how loud the crowd was, the screaming was so loud before the encore that my ears gave out completly, pure fucking magic.. Iloved every min of it... Anyone notice how fuckin anal the secruity was.. I took out my phone and jyust looked at it for a second to see what time it was and got taken out of the show for the end of schism and begining of the patient, they wanted me to show them every picture in my phone so I could erase the ones of tool in front of the managment... I had none and they were very apologetic.. but what the fuck, people need to chill, photos are going to get out no matter what, and I missed the begining of the patient :(.. its ok, all in all it was amazing, way more rockin and itimate then the arena shows.. but I still cant wait to see the new theatrics when they come back.. rock and roll tool.. you made one of the best nights of my life once again :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #27

Hey Wanted to also say Tucsonguy , your expierence was great! I loved reading about it, what a great story. The combined forces of people havin an amazingly good time there was overwhelming!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

This was the first time I have seen Tool live. It was the greatest 2 hours of my life. I have been unable to concentrate on anything sense, my mind remains at Gammage. For as many hours as I have logged in my life spent listening to Tool, nothing, not even the live tracks off of Salival could have readied me. I was blown away at the utter brilliance. It was like I was staring at mythical beings on stage, doing what they do best; putting everyone into a transe. It was an experience unlike anything else I have ever experienced. Friends and family have asked me about it. Ive given up trying to explain it to them. How can one explain that show? Unless you were there to see them perfrom, one is unable to comprehend such a moving, inspirational, hauntinly brilliant performance. My life is now better.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBoyTempe
This was the first time I have seen Tool live. It was the greatest 2 hours of my life. I have been unable to concentrate on anything sense, my mind remains at Gammage. For as many hours as I have logged in my life spent listening to Tool, nothing, not even the live tracks off of Salival could have readied me. I was blown away at the utter brilliance. It was like I was staring at mythical beings on stage, doing what they do best; putting everyone into a transe. It was an experience unlike anything else I have ever experienced. Friends and family have asked me about it. Ive given up trying to explain it to them. How can one explain that show? Unless you were there to see them perfrom, one is unable to comprehend such a moving, inspirational, hauntinly brilliant performance. My life is now better.
Hot Damn, Philly, I'm with you, brudda. Although I don't think my boy and I had quite the religious experience you did (he is too young and I'm too old) it was still an eye opener for us.

I've never been much into hard rock, but them Tool boys brought me into the light that night at Gammage. And Kyle is whacked for Rosetta Stoned. Rock on.
You'll learn something about men and women -- the way they're supposed to be. Caring for each other, being happy with each other, being good to each other. That's what we call love. You'll like that a lot.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Great show, it was my 6th Tool show. The sound was great, imo, the view from the teir was amazing. I could see the whole set right in front of me. Not the best Tool show, but amazing none the less. For those who have not seen them, you will not be disappointed.
"All you have to do is to tell them (the people) they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBoyTempe

Wow! Sounds like you had a similar experience I had at my second Tool show in San Antonio in '98. The sound at the Gammage was one the best I have heard in awhile.
"All you have to do is to tell them (the people) they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

After the loud ass cheering for the encore, did anyone hear where Maynard said we came in 2nd to? He said, "Fine, whatever. You got second place *booing from the crowd*. (So and so) was louder *more booing*. Better luck next time. *cue Vicarious*"

Anyway, my first Tool show, I was in Row 6, and it was a great show. I wish there would have been better visuals for more of the songs, because I always heard those ruled. But the sound quality was amazing. I have to admit alot of it felt a little canned, because most of the songs sounded like they do on the albums. That's how good the acoustics seemed.

I must say I was impressed with Tool fans. Not an obnoxious amount of singing along. Not a huge din when I was trying to listen to everything. The respect for the music was very impressive to me and made the concert so much more enjoyable.

One thing about the live shows is it opens you up to just how unique Tool's music is. I couldn't believe a lot of the stuff I was hearing in songs was bass. And a bunch of the stuff I missed before were the awesome lead parts that I had never really paid much attention to before. And I was even more impressed with the fact that Carey is out of control amazing on the drums. When you listen, it sounds like there's a method to the madness. When you watch, there is no way to fathom how he keeps it sounding so methodical. Honestly, when you watch, it just seems like he's playing one big fill throughout the entirety of a song.

Best song for me was 46 & 2. Just so awesome in person. It was one of the few songs that sounded distinctly different to me. I was a little disappointed at the length of the set list, but with a broken ankle, no alcohol at the show, and realizing how many great songs of such long length Tool has, I was satisfied to get the hell out of there and sit down. Still, I would have loved to have heard Parabola, Eulogy, Opiate, and Right in Two.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer
After the loud ass cheering for the encore, did anyone hear where Maynard said we came in 2nd to? He said, "Fine, whatever. You got second place *booing from the crowd*. (So and so) was louder *more booing*. Better luck next time. *cue Vicarious*"

Anyway, my first Tool show, I was in Row 6, and it was a great show. I wish there would have been better visuals for more of the songs, because I always heard those ruled. But the sound quality was amazing. I have to admit alot of it felt a little canned, because most of the songs sounded like they do on the albums. That's how good the acoustics seemed.

I must say I was impressed with Tool fans. Not an obnoxious amount of singing along. Not a huge din when I was trying to listen to everything. The respect for the music was very impressive to me and made the concert so much more enjoyable.

One thing about the live shows is it opens you up to just how unique Tool's music is. I couldn't believe a lot of the stuff I was hearing in songs was bass. And a bunch of the stuff I missed before were the awesome lead parts that I had never really paid much attention to before. And I was even more impressed with the fact that Carey is out of control amazing on the drums. When you listen, it sounds like there's a method to the madness. When you watch, there is no way to fathom how he keeps it sounding so methodical. Honestly, when you watch, it just seems like he's playing one big fill throughout the entirety of a song.

Best song for me was 46 & 2. Just so awesome in person. It was one of the few songs that sounded distinctly different to me. I was a little disappointed at the length of the set list, but with a broken ankle, no alcohol at the show, and realizing how many great songs of such long length Tool has, I was satisfied to get the hell out of there and sit down. Still, I would have loved to have heard Parabola, Eulogy, Opiate, and Right in Two.
Maynard said we came in 2nd, the greeter at Walmart was louder. I was lucky enough to be in the pit row c seat 11!! Three rows from the stage almost directly in front of Adam. Absolutely unreal!! I haven't stopped thinking about the show since. I have 5 TOOL cd's in my changer on constantly!! It is very haunting the way I'm obsessing over this. I did see the father and son there, very cool. I would have loved to bring my son who is 7, but was unsure if it was going to get out of hand that close to the stage. I feel like a "dead-head" and want to follow them around on tour.... but I don't think the hubby and kids would appreciate it. Well now that I sound like an official stalker. Definately a night I will remember!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Beer:

Maynard said we came in second to the Wallmart greeter.

You must have had a kick-ass view from Row 6. My son and I were right up front, which was intense but we didn't have a good view of Adam which was a bummer. Also, from our spot Justin's bass playing was a little predominant over the rest of the band - another one of those things which was both super cool and a little bit of a drag at the same time.

Like you I was struck by the civility of the crowd. We struck up some conversation with some nice people in the security line, and again while waiting in the concession line. Even in the bathroom people were cool. My son said something only a kid would say about the water pressure at the sink (I don't remember exactly what) and this tough looking, inked up dude just cracked a smile as he walked out.

The crowd was paying attention during the show, as if they knew they were a part of something special. For a band the caliber of Tool, 3000 people is not a large audience, and it kind of seemed like we were all aware of how lucky we were to be sharing this experience. The seating came all the way up to the stage (so close we could touch the stage while seated) and that also added to the intimacy of the show.

I did not realize what an anthem 46&2 was until a minute or two into the tune. The crowd, which I don't think sat down during the entire show, really got into it. As a Tool n00b I have yet to start dissecting lyrics, but this will be one of the first songs I go after when I do.

One of the things we noticed about Danny's drumming was the way he worked those double bass drums. Perhaps it is the bass drum work that helps keep the methodical rhythm you noticed going. My son and I were amazed at Danny's versatility, dexterity, and athleticism - really impressive.

A beer would have been nice. Like you I look forward to hearing more of the band's repertoire when the big show rolls through - you know, the one that this show was just a prelude to. Meanwhile I've got some Tool tutelage in my future - next time I want to be jamming along to 46&2 with everyone else.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Oh, haha. No wonder I didn't understand it. Wal-mart greeter? WTF?

6th Row was a GREAT view. Not to mention I'm about 6'3" so that always helps. We were left of center on Adam's side. Though, as a former drummer, I would have probably appreciated being closer to Danny. It did give me a new appreciation for how much great stuff Adam plays though, which was a plus.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Good show, and great acoustics in the building. You could feel the bass in your throat and stomach it was so loud. A number of notes were missed on guitar it sounded like he missed his fingering and put his finger directly on top of the guitar fret instead of behind and was holding down the string extra hard to compensate missing his finger position. Seemed like a short set 90ish minutes and they didn't play 10k Days. Other than that the set was very good and 46&2 stole the show for me, best song that night.

One other thing between songs MJK gave the whole buy our shirts and CD because we are SO LOW on cash speech why? Because he needed to "gold plate his vehicle (Land Rover? some type of SUV thing) and add another wing to the vineyard". Pretty funny.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #37
jex
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show, to be sure! One of the things that struck me (in addition to the awesome music), was how freakin' LOUD the crowd was ...

The only downside to the evening is that I got hooked up with backstage passes and no one from the band never showed up. About 20 of us waited in the first couple of rows, then the security guards led us up and backstage to an elevator, then up and into some catering room. We waited there for over 45 minutes (by this time the show had been over for 90 minutes), and finally left.

Can't wait 'til they come back in the fall, though!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

It was my 2nd time seeing tool and first since they were on lollapalooza back in 93 I think. It was so cool to see in an intimate location. I can't wait for their return later this year.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: