opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #41
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1
Re: 02.04.12 - Charlotte, NC

I'll be at that show. If no one else does, I'll keep you updated .
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #42
wes
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I got good seats also sec.107 row P . The july 29, 2009 Tool show I was in sec 112 I am much closer this time . Also going to the Duluth show sec. 105.

Last edited by wes; 01-14-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Anybody see the setlist from Reno. Holy Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one time I hope it stays the same. LOL
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

I couldn't resist looking at the setlist. Super pumped for the show now
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

i had to take a look too. looks like its gunna be a hell of a show. this will be my first. went to see APC in charlotte last summer on a low dose of boomers, it was great but it took me a hour to find my car lol. i wish they would play vicarious tho.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

That set looks pretty sick. I stayed up late hoping to see it. I've seen Tool a few times and the last two times I saw them they played the same set. I had to make sure that wasnt going to happen again. There are plenty of other shows going on that night that I could go to. Upon seeing that set and then hearing that pushit was on for the entire tour, I called my friend to confirm where we were going to be Feb 4th.

Sour420: Dude don't worry. I'm pretty sure vicarious will be played again when they start their next tour. Take in that you will get the chance to see pushit and probably ticks and the pot. There is a good chance those songs will never be played again after this tour.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm super stoked for this. The first couple of setlists showed a completely different vibe than they have even since they went out for Lateralus. Just about everything is superheavy. Kind of makes me glad we're back in gg on the floor. Unfortunately, that certain group of Tool fan that only knows of the first two albums will be in "hog heaven" and the front is unfortunately going to resememble a Pantera show. You know, the drunken subhumans that scream for Sober the whole show?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'll be there. Roll.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey everyone!
Just joined this site recently after lurking for a while. I've been a fan of Tool for a few years now, and I will be going to the Charlotte show on the 4th. It will be my first Tool show. I'm glad to hear the venue is rather small because my tickets are in the balcony, even though I got them at 10AM as soon as they went on sale! Hopefully I'll have a good view regardless. I'm also really stoked about the set list, although I wish they would switch out Intension with The Patient or Third Eye. I guess I really can't complain though, because I've never seen any of their songs performed live, and I would like to see every single one of them performed live. Anyways, I look forward to seeing you peeps there!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnima View Post
Hey everyone!
Just joined this site recently after lurking for a while. I've been a fan of Tool for a few years now, and I will be going to the Charlotte show on the 4th. It will be my first Tool show. I'm glad to hear the venue is rather small because my tickets are in the balcony, even though I got them at 10AM as soon as they went on sale! Hopefully I'll have a good view regardless. I'm also really stoked about the set list, although I wish they would switch out Intension with The Patient or Third Eye. I guess I really can't complain though, because I've never seen any of their songs performed live, and I would like to see every single one of them performed live. Anyways, I look forward too seeing you peeps there!
I Agree wih you 100% about everything man. I can't decide if I'm gunna hang out with the "funguy" or not tho.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
do it. i didn't trip the first time i saw tool (for no good reason, i had lots of drugz) and i seriously regret it. this time around i'll suck a dick to get some blotter if i have to.
Lol damn dude. I'm only weary cus I just drank a lil tea before the APC concert in charlotte and i was smashed. Could barely stand up and I feel as tho I don't remember half of it. Prolly drank too much beer on top of it tho. Or maybe it was that hogs leg I light up as soon as the show started. I wish I could get someone to wheelchar me in and out of the show.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

First trip to Charlotte in over 10 years. I live in Louisville, KY and got tickets to the TOOL gig in Charlotte vs. Dayton or somewhere else because my college roommate just moved to Charlotte a couple of years ago. It's been a while since I've seen him, so I'm really stoked to hang with him, meet his new baby, etc.

But, of course, the Saturday night TOOL show takes the spotlight for me. I can't wait!

Since I've not been to Charlotte in a decade, and have never seen a show there, what should I expect? Any pointers on when I should get to the venue? Is it a good venue for a show? How's the audio quality there? Where should I eat before the show?

Fill me in if you care to. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour420 View Post
I Agree wih you 100% about everything man. I can't decide if I'm gunna hang out with the "funguy" or not tho.
I'd say go for it man! I hung out with the "funguy" last year when I saw Primus, and grooved like no other. I'd be willing to bet that Tool's psychedelic visuals just might make your jaw drop. Not to mention their music. I usually try to get an idea of their strength beforehand though. Take too many and you might not remember the show, which sucks.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #54
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post
First trip to Charlotte in over 10 years. I live in Louisville, KY and got tickets to the TOOL gig in Charlotte vs. Dayton or somewhere else because my college roommate just moved to Charlotte a couple of years ago. It's been a while since I've seen him, so I'm really stoked to hang with him, meet his new baby, etc.

But, of course, the Saturday night TOOL show takes the spotlight for me. I can't wait!

Since I've not been to Charlotte in a decade, and have never seen a show there, what should I expect? Any pointers on when I should get to the venue? Is it a good venue for a show? How's the audio quality there? Where should I eat before the show?

There's nowhere to eat or drink within walking distance, but last time I went there for a TOOL show they had a Bojangles Tent set up outside, selling outstanding chicken and chicken related by-products at an excellent price. And they had fair-priced beer if I recall correctly - and free entry to the the show... But that's another story.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #55
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Bojangles Coliseum is a relic from the 60's. It used to be called the Charlotte Coliseum before the Hornets came into existence and got a new stadium. Then it became the 'Independance Arena, Cricket Arena, and and now the Cricket Coliseum (it gets to be a coliseum again because teh Charlotte Coliseum was blown up a few years ago in favor of vacant land). I'm actually a little bummed that they're playing there instead of the new arena, but the Circus is town (on a side note, could you just IMAGINE Tool playing a full set in the middle of a full on circus?) because it's a WAY better venue, and we can take the train so everyone can party. I actually like the acousics at Bojangles better than the old Colisieum (funny how the new coliseum bacame the old coliseum after a little explosion!), but at least it was a straight shot from my house with no turns other than into the parking lot. What I like least about Bojangles is that it is a nightmare to get in and out of thanks to a half-assed attempt to turn Independence Blvd into a highway, and once you get into the arena, the walkways around the outside are not nearly wide enough for people to easily move around, so get to experience life as beef cattle whenever you want to take a piss or buy a beer. It's especially bad by the merch table. Also, make sure you bring plenty of cash with you if you want to eat or drink. They don't take plastic at the concession stands, and there's like two atms in the whole place that always have a long line. For whatever reason, Charlotte also has a higher percentage of "that guy" who attends not just Tool shows, but just about every show I've seen there. As a matter of history, Bojangles is known in some circles as "the house that Ric Flair built" and for some reason, his fans are always well represented. I guarantee you that you will hear hundreds of drunken "woo!'s" throughout the evening, as if they are conjuring the "Nature Boy!". For all of this, and a couple of pretty nasty fights that happened when they played here in '09, I have decided to stay in my right mind and be the sober driver this time (I did it last time to, and had a great time). All that being said, Tool always seems to play a fantastic show there, and I am super stoked for two weeks from today!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

One more thing: if you are talking to a native, and refer to the building as anything other than "the old coliseum", you are bound to get a look like you are speaking a strange language.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
Level 7 - Loquacious

I would highly recommend getting there early because traffic can get REALLY backed up right around there, especially with a sold out show. I would recommend finding a bojangles before you get to the venue and grabbing a ton of chicken and just eating in the lot.

The line to get into the show in 09 was outrageous, but I can't imagine it being that bad since there is assigned seating this time.

Sound wise, it's about what you would expect for a coliseum. I was able to openly record a show there last year - http://www.archive.org/details/GPN2011-04-09 if you are interested in what it sounds like from the floor level (at foh). Not the worst sounding room, and I don't remember the sound being bad in 09.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Can not wait very excited!! on another note how is the merch this will be my 3rd time seeing TOOL anyways cheers..

DAB
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #59
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Got one extra ticket in Section 109 (Circle) Row I
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
There's nowhere to eat or drink within walking distance, but last time I went there for a TOOL show they had a Bojangles Tent set up outside, selling outstanding chicken and chicken related by-products at an excellent price. And they had fair-priced beer if I recall correctly - and free entry to the the show... But that's another story.
Thank you!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMAN71 View Post
One more thing: if you are talking to a native, and refer to the building as anything other than "the old coliseum", you are bound to get a look like you are speaking a strange language.
McMan, thanks for all the great info. My friends run the business side of a small pizza chain in Charlotte (Fuel Pizza), so I'll probably just get some pizza beforehand since there is nothing decent in walking distance from the Coliseum.

I'll definitely get there early because I'd like to see Intronaut out of curiosity.

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #62
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCToolfan View Post
I would highly recommend getting there early because traffic can get REALLY backed up right around there, especially with a sold out show. I would recommend finding a bojangles before you get to the venue and grabbing a ton of chicken and just eating in the lot.

The line to get into the show in 09 was outrageous, but I can't imagine it being that bad since there is assigned seating this time.

Sound wise, it's about what you would expect for a coliseum. I was able to openly record a show there last year - http://www.archive.org/details/GPN2011-04-09 if you are interested in what it sounds like from the floor level (at foh). Not the worst sounding room, and I don't remember the sound being bad in 09.
Thx. Absolutely going to get there early. Probably too early!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #63
Level 7 - Loquacious

So, my buddy just told me the tickets he got were in 112. Based on the seating chart, it appears that that section really sucks. Level with me, locals, how bad is it?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #64
wes

Sat in that section wed July 29 2009 at the last tool show there . Row F seat 9 . The seats are not that bad you will enjoy trust me . You will have a good view of all the visuals and lasers . This is a small place so every seat is ok . Only 9605 seating at end stage concerts .
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #65
wes

With that being said this show we are in section 107 mezzanine which is on the same side as 112 .
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
With that being said this show we are in section 107 mezzanine which is on the same side as 112 .
I think that I am just parallel to your section. Section 124.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #67
Level 3 - Talker

Bojangles is incredibly small and the last time I saw Tool at Bojangles Maynards vocals were really muddy. Turns out that was a problem the entire tour and that seems to have been corrected since then. Ive been to 2 shows at the venue and it is really small. You feel close to the band no matter where you are.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #68
wes

True Lotus .
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #69
Level 7 - Loquacious

Lotus and Wes, thanks for the input. I didn't realize it was that small. Awesome! Sounds like I'll be okay with my seats.

Since you say the sound gets so muddied in that small venue, consider taking a set of earplugs with you. Every time I've heard Tool in a small venue, Maynard's vocals were so low in the mix and inaudible. With the earplugs in, I can hear him much, much better. I was so glad I had them when I finally gave it a try based on a recommendation from someone else on this board. And the music still sounds fantastic with them in.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
McMan, thanks for all the great info. My friends run the business side of a small pizza chain in Charlotte (Fuel Pizza), so I'll probably just get some pizza beforehand since there is nothing decent in walking distance from the Coliseum.

I'll definitely get there early because I'd like to see Intronaut out of curiosity.

Thanks again.
Great pizza by the way! If I'm right, those guys are from Buffalo? I happen to be from Rochester myself! Anyway, you're gonna have a blast! But unfortunately, Intronaut won't be the openers for Charlotte. Y.O.B. will be opening. They're a doom metal outfit from Oregon. Think of an an entire genre based on the the title track off of Sabbath's first record. Granted, they sound better than Tweak Bird and Melt Bananna (the bands we got on their last two trips to the Carolinas), but I'm a little bummed that Intronaut didn't get the whole tour or that they couldn't have convinced Isis to stay together for one more tour.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Great pizza by the way! If I'm right, those guys are from Buffalo? I happen to be from Rochester myself! Anyway, you're gonna have a blast! But unfortunately, Intronaut won't be the openers for Charlotte. Y.O.B. will be opening. They're a doom metal outfit from Oregon. Think of an an entire genre based on the the title track off of Sabbath's first record. Granted, they sound better than Tweak Bird and Melt Bananna (the bands we got on their last two trips to the Carolinas), but I'm a little bummed that Intronaut didn't get the whole tour or that they couldn't have convinced Isis to stay together for one more tour.
Oh, and more thing. There's a beer festival going on that day in NODA. Make sure you check out Kind beers if you go, one of the guys in my group that's going owns the company! Really good stuff!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #72
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
That's right, a couple of them are from NY state. Bummer about Intronaut; I wanted to see them. Never heard of Y.O.B., but I'm a metalhead, so I just might like them.

I agree on Isis. Really enjoyed them every time I saw them open.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #73
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Oh, and more thing. There's a beer festival going on that day in NODA. Make sure you check out Kind beers if you go, one of the guys in my group that's going owns the company! Really good stuff!
Awesome. I just might be able to hit that up.

I'm a cyclist, as is my college roomie/buddy in Charlotte. Our plan is to log 40-50 miles that afternoon. So a few beers will really hit the spot if we can find the time!

ALSO: Anyone on here organizing or planning a meetup before the show?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #74
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Y.O.B. will be opening. They're a doom metal outfit from Oregon. Think of an an entire genre based on the the title track off of Sabbath's first record. Granted, they sound better than Tweak Bird and Melt Bananna (the bands we got on their last two trips to the Carolinas), but I'm a little bummed that Intronaut didn't get the whole tour or that they couldn't have convinced Isis to stay together for one more tour.
I'm telling ya'll. Check out YOB's 'Illusion of Motion' and 'Atma' before the show. Those motherfuckers are right up there with ISIS. And I did see Intronaut, twice, and they are good, but YOB is HEAVY... SLOW and HEAVY.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #75
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I'm telling ya'll. Check out YOB's 'Illusion of Motion' and 'Atma' before the show. Those motherfuckers are right up there with ISIS. And I did see Intronaut, twice, and they are good, but YOB is HEAVY... SLOW and HEAVY.
I'm sorry, but Doom Metal isn't really my thing.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #76
wes

I kinda like that YOB band .
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

need 1 for charlotte please help a fan out
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #78
wes

Three days till show. Saturday night Tool in Charlotte NC . Priceless !!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Looking for 3 tickets to this show, help please!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #80
Level 7 - Loquacious

2 days....ahhhhhhh!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: