opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/30 - Grenoble, FRA - Summum Theater

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/30 - Grenoble, FRA - Summum Theater

setlist :

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
Banned.

Just got back from the show. Lots of things to say, dont really know where to start.
It was a five hour drive to get there, and we arrived five hours early to be on the safe side, we were just having an early lunch and danny and justin popped out of the hall on their bikes for a whizz round the town. Justin has hairy legs.

Same set list as usual, so no surprises really. Wasnt too dissapointed that they didnt play very long, as i wasnt expecting them to.
It was my third time seeing tool, and fifth time seeing maynard. This was the first time maynards voice didnt absolutely fill the hall. The bass was too loud and muddy, even though justin was playing really well, as was danny. Adam didnt really seem that into the gig, judging by his expression, but then again you cant really tell, and apart from fucking up the end on rosetta stoned i didnt notice any mistakes.
Maynard was his usual nonchalent self, and seemed in a good mood.
They did this new fast riff in the middle of schism that was strange, kind of half drum solo half big noisey guitars. Stinkfist was the extended version. Forty six and two was fucking good, the drum solo was perfect, danny didnt seem to miss a beat all night.
Right in two was beautiful. Lateralus very powerful. A lot of the time you couldnt really make out the bass notes though, just a great big woomph, and that drowned out the vocals. I had a very good seat; right in the middle, two rows back from the mixing desk, so i have absolutely no idea what was wrong with the sound engineers, either its deliberate to cover up the fact that they're a little bit sloppy still, or the guy needs to get sacked. Maynard seemed to be singing ok so they could have just brought the vocals up and the bass down. Adams guitar also very loud. On the passges where he used both mics simultaneously you could here him much better. He didnt push his voice much, maybe saving himself for a long tour, avoiding burnout or something...
Among comments he said "hopefully see you soon" "our new album apparently did well in belgium and a suburb of chechoslovakia" "you scary scary people" "have we been here before? i cant remember....brain damage"
So overall a bit dissapointed, especially as i was with two people who had never seen tool before. Also i might add that im a sound engineer and musician so from that you should gather that the sound really wasnt that great. But then again, its tool, and if you know the songs well then you can get into them even with poor sound. Maybe the hall isnt that great. Im going to see them in london and paris in a couple of weeks, so i can compare the sound with those two.
danny and justin 10 out of 10

Other than that, i was the guy with green dreadlocks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

I quite agree with Osama about the sound, even if I was in the Pit... My first TOOL gig. Fantastic!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Zaprout, osama... et SysTooL :)

je vous invite a venir partager vos avis sur => www.nineperfectools.net

Merci et a tres vite :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Fully agree regarding the overall sound but that's the place. 'Summum' is a really crap for concert in general even if they have changed the sound systems, it's still awfull. However, you can expect that their sound engineer could make an acceptable sound everywhere which was not the case here, definitly !!!!

For 'brain damage', I saw them in the same place about 10 years ago supporting Fishbone (curious choice, isn't ...). there is no visual effect only 4 men on stage and Maynard not in the back (nearly invisible). It was an excellent show !!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, I thought that the Summum was not so good a Place for TOOL, but nevermind...

By the way, I just noticed that TOOL played The Pot during the next show... and put Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned in the middle of the Show, which is perhaps better than at the beginning...
Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 4

A better idea is to drop Rosetta Stoned completely and make some space for other songs.

Don't get me wrong, Rosetta Stoned is one of my favorite tracks on the new album (besides Wings For Marie part 2)...but it is just not suited for a live-gig (taking to much time, and I have the impression that the band still doesn't have complete control over the song....)

The Pot wasn't really convincing neither, sounded kind of empty...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Really?

That is sad... So why not put a few LATERALUS tracks? Like The Patient or The Grudge... it would be great, too...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey Osama, I was 2 rows behind you! Remember ? the
girl with long black hair? Yeah I know that's just
every fan's profile...

I agree with almost everything you mentionned, and
especially with the fact that the bass was definately
exagerated and that James voice was'nt able to fit in
as it should. Also, because my ears finally "got use
to" the bass sound (let's just say that they could
focus on the other sounds), it made the guitar's high
notes intolerable. Most of the people arround
me had pieces of Kleenex in their ears!

I saw Perfect Circle about 2 years ago and it was
terrible: just sounded like a ``pop ok`` band that makes
"nonchalant" concerts for $$. It had made me nostalgic
from the first Tool concert I saw in Montreal (at the
Metropolis) in 1996 (or 1995, not sure).

Of course Grenoble;s concert was pretty powerfull
compared to what I heard at Perfect Circle's show. But
I have to admit that I was deceived about their
performance of the last album's songs. The best songs
they played were all from Aenema (and Sober from
Undertow). It seemed to me that the latest songs,
although they sound damn good in my speakers at home,
were'nt as powerfull and were'nt "improvisable" as the
old songs.

And here I am about to make the less objective
statement ever : Maynard is so damn small !

Kim (that drove 4 hours- and got lost 65 times- from a
small village in Switzerland to get to Grenoble)

P.S I'm still not sure that Maynard is gonna Remember
he ever played in Grenoble... Sure he was in a good
mood but did,nt do or say anything "special".

P.P.S. Thanks to all Grenoblois for not destroying my
"swiss car" as I was expecting it. After all, I'm just
a tourist in Switzerland thats going back to Canada
real soon. So Thanks to you little naughty anarchists!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

OOOOK,

lemme just say, i'm sorry i have been so flaky to write a reveiw, especially because i have a lot to say,... :D

first off, i'm originally from the U.S. but i've been livin in france for the past two years,...as an american, i have seen many tool shows in the U.S., all of which i enjoyed thoroughly. my ONLY complaint about this show was that, as an "experience" it was no where near the calibur of a U.S. show. i was disappointed by the visuals this time around for seriousness.

the lateralus tour shows i went to, (of which there were many) were so amazing visually, and i was lucky enough to see the gig where they had the ppl from the video on stage, and at another show they rocked it out with meshuggah, it was kick ass. this show in particular was AWESOME if you were going to experience a TOOL show, specifically to experience the band, and the music, however, for me, the visual experience was a bit of a drag.

now, for everyone BITCHING about this show, get over yourselves, i mean come on!! when i got inside and saw that it was an all metal interior, i got bummed cause here i thought, oh the sound will be tinny, and saturated, the acoustics will suck, not only was it metal, but the roof was flat as well. during rosetta stoned in the beginning, the bass was too high, that i agree with, and maynard douched up the end of the song, but as far as i am concerned, for a metal warehouse type venue, the sound was kick ass.

ALSO, i am used to seein TOOL in HUGE venues back home, this place was TINY, i can't believe no one has mentioned it, no matter where you were, basically, you had a good spot. i have never been in such a small venue, and to be in one with TOOL right in front of me was amazing. i was in the center section about 7 rows back. I have to give credit to the French TOOL fans as well, they were really rockin out and showin love to TOOL, it was cool to see.

another thing is, i can not get over the difference in security here compared to in the U.S., i was expecting metal detectors and wands and blah blah blah, no, a few taps on the body and i was in!! i was impressed that they were on stage so long considering the set list wasn't super long. i liked it when they were chillin on maynard's podium, t'was funny. that town was beautiful, our hotel room looked right out on the mountains, it was great!! i was also pretty shocked by all the american people i encountered there, i wasn't expecting it. we have tickets for the paris show too, up there i was expecting a bunch of ppl from a bunch of different places but i was surprised for it down there.

well, now that i have rambled on forever and ever, that about wraps it up, however i have one more thing to say:
to all you complaining about the concert,.....

don't be douchebags, you were in a tiny venue, for almost 2 hours breathing the same air as TOOL, jamming out to TOOL, getting to be a part of someting special....TOOL, that place was freakin TINY AS HELL, all the seats or pit were AWESOME placement!!! So what if the sound wasn't PERFECT, i personally thought for a metal, flat-roofed building, it sounded pretty kick ass!! so yeah, like i said before, it was TOOL, we all got to share a moment with them, somethin we can keep for the rest of our lives, instead of finding things to bitch and complain about, let's just all be happy that TOOL is around, kicking ass still, and that we got a chance to see them in such an intimate setting,....please?? show love for the band that gives you what TOOL does. i'm out.

-Lates
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

It was my first TOOL gig, finally... and it was clearly a great Show, but still, I think we have the right to criticize one thing or two... I surely was a bit disappointed when I entered the Summum. Thought it would be a little bigger and with less seats...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:46 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi Colee
you;re probably right about the fact we should;nt complaint about the sound engineer;s (yes thats his fault!) terrible job (except for the drum, he sure knows how to mic a drum!) and it sure was the smallest place I have ever and will ever see Tool, but still, I cant feel 100% satisfied just knowing that for an hour and a half, Keenan and I have breathd the same air.
The concert;s security guards in US might act like the ones working in the U.S airports, but almost everywhere else, it doesn;t work this way. I just learned that the security procedures were orders of Maynard himself. So I,m not blaming anyone else for that. Anyway, thats not the point. When Tool got on stage I automatically forgot everything preeceding the concert! And it sure was ``fun``to get my ass (and every other part of my body except my head and breasts) grabbed by someone who just didnt happend to like the way I look. The girl right behind me looked like a little angel and got few little taps (just like you did).
I was only hoping to hear Keenan;s voice more clearly. The way he sings is just as progressive as the other instruments. But unfortunately, when we were supposed to hear that voice progression (that usually ends up in a long and powerfull scream), all we could hear was the guitar;s high notes, wich really sucks.

None of this really matters you;re right. Yes I criticize the sound;s quality when someone asks me how it SOUNDED, but at the same time, I think and say that it was a really good concert, the kind I;ll always remember and feel nostalgic about.

Kim
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #14
Banned.

Hi colee, Lol, you cant say the hall was too small, a good sound engineer can make good sound in any sized room.
Sure, it wasnt a huge hall, but i saw tool at the olympia in paris back in 2002, and the sound was absolutely flawless. The olympia is a lot smaller than the summom. I also saw them in a huge stadium in antwerp, again the sound was great. If you can make a good mix in a large hall, you can do the same in a small hall. The problem in grenoble was that they were pushing the sub woofers much too much, The job of the sound engineer is to make the best use of the equipment in the hall, and to do that you have to take into account the size, accoustics etc, not just turn everything up until it hits 105 dB on the meters...no matter how bad the accoustics were in that hall, the bass was too loud, simple as that.
I just wonder if justin knows what they're doing to his sound out front...
Having said that, id rather see tool with bad sound than any other band with good sound.

blahblah, yeah saw lots of long haired girls the other night ;-D and yeah, very funny seeing maynard stand up next to danny...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 03:42 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

hi :)

i'm actually less concerned with breathing in maynards air than anything else, he's not the MOST important part of TOOL in my opinion, they all equally are awesome, but i'm just saying, the venue was tiny, and that is a good thing. i've never gotten to be that close to tool and i have been to a sh*tload of concerts of theirs. i'm not sayin ppl don't have the right to complain, of course they do, i'm just sayin,...why do it, it's not going to make a difference at this point, i just wish ppl would focus on the positive and post that, that's all. :)

-cole
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

i think i confused everyone by going on and on about the size of the venue,...i was totally NOT complaining, i think it was awesome personally....srry
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Your post was ok, and it's right to focus on the positive Sides! ;-)
Old 06-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by osama...
Among comments he said "hopefully see you soon" "our new album apparently did well in belgium and a suburb of chechoslovakia" "you scary scary people" "have we been here before? i cant remember....brain damage"
What the hell did he mean by the suburb? And did he actually said Czechoslovakia? That's sad.. I wonder if there is anyone over the borders of Europe who knows that Czechoslovakia doesn't exist.. well, for 13 years now :) But, nevermind.. and Tool was here only once, on Ozzfest. Poor me, I didn't even get to see them that time. Can't wait for 25 of June.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon
What the hell did he mean by the suburb? And did he actually said Czechoslovakia?
Hi have to admit, I could'nt understand much of what he was saying at the concert, so I did'nt hear any of that. Else than the "Hope to see you soon" all I heard was "blahblahblah brain damage".
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #20
Banned.

Yeah I was trying to give an accurate description of what the gig was like for me...generally the idea in concert reviews.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Just wanted to inform everybody that I've been at a concert at the Summum before and the sound was perfect. So stop blaming the hall for the sound being not that good. Osama's right, it's the sound engineer that didn't a good job.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: