Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Aganar
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM

I was just listening to Tool's live cover of 'Demon Cleaner" by Kyuss, and noticed something. The final verse usually goes like this:

If only one thing that you know
Impostors from the show
They'll try to trick you into
Normal treatment
Oh don't you listen to them say
Shush them all away
I am the demon cleaner
Madman so
I am the freedom cleaner
Standing naked here to say
I'm the only way...

Maynard, being the little rascal that he is, amended the final line to be 'Satan is the way."

Not all that unusual, considering Maynard's ongoing joke of making the band look Satanic (see Die Eier Von Satan, The Gaping Lotus Experience for further evidence) or his tendency to change the lyrics of songs he covers, either for serious reasons (see Tool's alternate lyrics for "No Quarter") or comical (APC fans will not Maynard frequently used to randomly substitute in the word "Josh"--referring to Josh Freese--when the band did their cover of The Cure's "Lovesong"). It's also very much in Maynard's flavor of humor.

Probably not new. I'm just starting to get into Kyuss, and having decided to check out Tool's cover again (makes sense why they'd cover it; Maynard and John Garcia's voices sound remarkably similar on that song), I noticed that little gem.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Silly Maynard

I was just listening to Tool's live cover of 'Demon Cleaner" by Kyuss, and noticed something. The final verse usually goes like this:

If only one thing that you know
Impostors from the show
They'll try to trick you into
Normal treatment
Oh don't you listen to them say
Shush them all away
I am the demon cleaner
Madman so
I am the freedom cleaner
Standing naked here to say
I'm the only way...

Maynard, being the little rascal that he is, amended the final line to be 'Satan is the way."

Not all that unusual, considering Maynard's ongoing joke of making the band look Satanic (see Die Eier Von Satan, The Gaping Lotus Experience for further evidence) or his tendency to change the lyrics of songs he covers, either for serious reasons (see Tool's alternate lyrics for "No Quarter") or comical (APC fans will not Maynard frequently used to randomly substitute in the word "Josh"--referring to Josh Freese--when the band did their cover of The Cure's "Lovesong"). It's also very much in Maynard's flavor of humor.

Probably not new. I'm just starting to get into Kyuss, and having decided to check out Tool's cover again (makes sense why they'd cover it; Maynard and John Garcia's voices sound remarkably similar on that song), I noticed that little gem.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
xyu's Avatar xyu
02-02-2008, 07:42 AM

So, what's your question? :) Kyuss was a fantastic band if you ask me, so good thing you're starting to listen to them. Blues for the red sun my personal favorite, kind of concept album I guess (music-wise). Just a useless post.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
xyu
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: Silly Maynard

So, what's your question? :) Kyuss was a fantastic band if you ask me, so good thing you're starting to listen to them. Blues for the red sun my personal favorite, kind of concept album I guess (music-wise). Just a useless post.
TheDude420
02-05-2008, 08:31 AM

I just got into them and got 3 of their albums, Blues for the red sun, Sky valley, and circus leaves town, which were all three very good. blues is very good, but my first one was asn the circus leaves town and that one kinda grew on me. Very good albums. along with anything else any combination of those band members have since made.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

I just got into them and got 3 of their albums, Blues for the red sun, Sky valley, and circus leaves town, which were all three very good. blues is very good, but my first one was asn the circus leaves town and that one kinda grew on me. Very good albums. along with anything else any combination of those band members have since made.
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM

I don't recall asking a question anywhere; it was just an observation.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I don't recall asking a question anywhere; it was just an observation.
Nikeda-Taylor
02-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Hm..giggle..yeah they are a cool band! Those lyrics were funny!!! Uh, what's the question again? xp
Old 02-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Hm..giggle..yeah they are a cool band! Those lyrics were funny!!! Uh, what's the question again? xp
02-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeda-Taylor View Post
Fucking moron
Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeda-Taylor View Post
Fucking moron
02-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganar View Post

Not all that unusual, considering Maynard's ongoing joke of making the band look Satanic
I don't think it has ever been a joke. I've seen a pentagram (JUST a pentagram) above Dannys kit in a picture from the studio in the Undertow days. I believe at one time they were Satanic (or Humanist), although sadly many don't know what that actually means. I'm sure they've evolved to a larger philosophy since though.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Not all that unusual, considering Maynard's ongoing joke of making the band look Satanic
I don't think it has ever been a joke. I've seen a pentagram (JUST a pentagram) above Dannys kit in a picture from the studio in the Undertow days. I believe at one time they were Satanic (or Humanist), although sadly many don't know what that actually means. I'm sure they've evolved to a larger philosophy since though.
02-08-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
Well, a pentagram doesn't mean satanism. As a matter fact, the pentagram's origins aren't even of an evil influence, it has along the years somehow became a symbol for it when that was never originally intended.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Well, a pentagram doesn't mean satanism. As a matter fact, the pentagram's origins aren't even of an evil influence, it has along the years somehow became a symbol for it when that was never originally intended.
02-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by put_away_the_dagger View Post
ban this asshole already......
Seriously dude, are you done with your incessant whining yet?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by put_away_the_dagger View Post
ban this asshole already......
Seriously dude, are you done with your incessant whining yet?
02-08-2008, 09:50 PM

isnt a pentagram the pagan symbol for protection? and as it was pagan, thee good people from a different religion decided that it must be satanic. Same way humanism was declared satism, because if you treat yourself and your own needs as the most important thing in the world your worshipping yourself as a god, acording to prominent other religion. and 'thou shalt not worship another but me' or whatever nd shit nd stuff.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

isnt a pentagram the pagan symbol for protection? and as it was pagan, thee good people from a different religion decided that it must be satanic. Same way humanism was declared satism, because if you treat yourself and your own needs as the most important thing in the world your worshipping yourself as a god, acording to prominent other religion. and 'thou shalt not worship another but me' or whatever nd shit nd stuff.
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
02-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

Satanism does not equal evil. The pentagram has NEVER symbolised evil, and anyone who thinks that is a complete fucking moron and needs to crack a book before swallowing far fetched urban myths. The right side up Pentagram (Pentacle) is weaved through many Pagan theologies, as well as the occult... but the upside down pentagram is more exclusively Satanism. Pick up the satanic bible some time and read it... its actually a very good philosophy.

You know real Satanists don't worship a fictitious big red demon right?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Satanism does not equal evil. The pentagram has NEVER symbolised evil, and anyone who thinks that is a complete fucking moron and needs to crack a book before swallowing far fetched urban myths. The right side up Pentagram (Pentacle) is weaved through many Pagan theologies, as well as the occult... but the upside down pentagram is more exclusively Satanism. Pick up the satanic bible some time and read it... its actually a very good philosophy.

02-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovico View Post
a poor one at that.
Anything particular I did to warrant such hostility? Or are you just having trouble dislodging the stick from your ass?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
a poor one at that.
Anything particular I did to warrant such hostility? Or are you just having trouble dislodging the stick from your ass?
02-09-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:

It seems people are more interested in blasting people then they are in collective knowledge. Sad.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

It seems people are more interested in blasting people then they are in collective knowledge. Sad.
02-10-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm familiar with the Pentagram's non-Satanic nature and its connection to Aphrodite. I didn't feel the need to comment on something I already know while I'm being blasted for seemingly no reason.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm familiar with the Pentagram's non-Satanic nature and its connection to Aphrodite. I didn't feel the need to comment on something I already know while I'm being blasted for seemingly no reason.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I'm well aware of all of that, and I don't see why you're arguing with me when that's exactly what I just said at least in fewer words.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

I'm well aware of all of that, and I don't see why you're arguing with me when that's exactly what I just said at least in fewer words.
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
settle down nancy. i wasn't being hostle at all. i just mentioned that i didn't find anything usefull in your observation is all.
That's like saying "Your mother is a whore. No offense to her, of course, I'm just pointing out then her behavior leads me to belief that she has sex with men for money."
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
settle down nancy. i wasn't being hostle at all. i just mentioned that i didn't find anything usefull in your observation is all.
That's like saying "Your mother is a whore. No offense to her, of course, I'm just pointing out then her behavior leads me to belief that she has sex with men for money."
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
02-11-2008, 12:00 PM

That pentagram on Danny's kit is a reference to sacred geometry, I believe.
As their music does tend toward and revolve around "sacred geometry" concepts. The shapes, the patterns, fibonacci sequences, the golden ratio etc. The pentagram being an inseparable symbol of that school of mathematics.

As a few of you have pointed out, the satanic thing is totally relative at this point. Although the only serious ties there with the band are with Crowley.

But yes, definitely mostly it's just a humerous notion that the band has incorporated into their music. And goes along with their theme of thinking outside the box, creating deeper metaphores, double/triple meanings, and not taking things at first glance.

More or less those examples given are references to "heavy metal" bands, or any musical act associated with a heavier sound, not singing purely sappy major scale melodic love songs, and using the occasional profanity, and darker lyrics, being "Satanic", and an extension of the devil himself!

Such as playing Rolling Stones and Beatles albums backwards and hearing horrific "Satanic" messages, causing the kids to go out and commit mass murder like Charles Manson.
The Gaping Lotus Experience, Die Eir Von Satan (my aunt who is 55 actually really deveolped a taste for the band after hearing this one and GETTING THE JOKE), and then there are the backwards lyrics on Intension that actually say something like, "listen to your parents, stay in school".

It's just a clever joke. And a metaphore for encouraging one to "think for themself and question authority". In my humble opinion.

PS: Kyuss should reunite!

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-11-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

That pentagram on Danny's kit is a reference to sacred geometry, I believe.
As their music does tend toward and revolve around "sacred geometry" concepts. The shapes, the patterns, fibonacci sequences, the golden ratio etc. The pentagram being an inseparable symbol of that school of mathematics.

As a few of you have pointed out, the satanic thing is totally relative at this point. Although the only serious ties there with the band are with Crowley.

But yes, definitely mostly it's just a humerous notion that the band has incorporated into their music. And goes along with their theme of thinking outside the box, creating deeper metaphores, double/triple meanings, and not taking things at first glance.

More or less those examples given are references to "heavy metal" bands, or any musical act associated with a heavier sound, not singing purely sappy major scale melodic love songs, and using the occasional profanity, and darker lyrics, being "Satanic", and an extension of the devil himself!

Such as playing Rolling Stones and Beatles albums backwards and hearing horrific "Satanic" messages, causing the kids to go out and commit mass murder like Charles Manson.
The Gaping Lotus Experience, Die Eir Von Satan (my aunt who is 55 actually really deveolped a taste for the band after hearing this one and GETTING THE JOKE), and then there are the backwards lyrics on Intension that actually say something like, "listen to your parents, stay in school".

It's just a clever joke. And a metaphore for encouraging one to "think for themself and question authority". In my humble opinion.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 02-11-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
02-11-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Absolute truth....... :(
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
most people =)
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
most people =)
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

02-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
i disagree. it seems that most people want to spew their "enlightened opinion" for the message board. they want people to say nice things about them. they want people to talk about their intellectual prowess. but God forbid you give some negative feedback. then you are "blasting people". fuck that. people have different opinions. if you can't handle that then you should have stayed on the "my little pony" message boards.
There are those who "blast people" for 'bout 99% of their postings, unfortunantly......
Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #21
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
i disagree. it seems that most people want to spew their "enlightened opinion" for the message board. they want people to say nice things about them. they want people to talk about their intellectual prowess. but God forbid you give some negative feedback. then you are "blasting people". fuck that. people have different opinions. if you can't handle that then you should have stayed on the "my little pony" message boards.
There are those who "blast people" for 'bout 99% of their postings, unfortunantly......
02-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
it has along the years somehow became a symbol for it when that was never originally intended.

It has never had anything to do with evil. The only people who think that it has anything to do with evil are fucking idiots. Fucking idiot.

See, I can be a cock about stupid shit too.

Last edited by ufopancakes; 02-12-2008 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
it has along the years somehow became a symbol for it when that was never originally intended.

It has never had anything to do with evil. The only people who think that it has anything to do with evil are fucking idiots. Fucking idiot.

See, I can be a cock about stupid shit too.

Last edited by ufopancakes; 02-12-2008 at 10:09 AM..
02-12-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Collective information is when many people come together, use their own research and their own background to collectively develop a deeper understanding into a subject. I don't give a damn what people think about me on here, but I'm very intrigued by different perspectives on the provocative symbolism in Tool's artwork. I find it respectful to use these boards for learning... and disgusting to use it to talk shit.

It’s about throwing around ideas... Absorbing different opinions and experiance. If someone is spewing their "enlightened opinion" for the sake of ego, then they miss the point. But I think there are so many more idiots on here that care for nothing more than their online ego, and do nothing but immaturely slander other users. These kinds of people are the ones who never had the balls to stand up for themselves when bullies picked on them in high school, so they choose to use their downtime to inflate their ego in front of people they've never met. Its extremely pathetic, and obviously the quality of an emotionally immature, physically weak, intellectually deficient mongoloid.

Case in point… Inner Eulogy. Back me up man, start talking shit you fucking 5 year old.

Last edited by ufopancakes; 02-12-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Collective information is when many people come together, use their own research and their own background to collectively develop a deeper understanding into a subject. I don't give a damn what people think about me on here, but I'm very intrigued by different perspectives on the provocative symbolism in Tool's artwork. I find it respectful to use these boards for learning... and disgusting to use it to talk shit.

It’s about throwing around ideas... Absorbing different opinions and experiance. If someone is spewing their "enlightened opinion" for the sake of ego, then they miss the point. But I think there are so many more idiots on here that care for nothing more than their online ego, and do nothing but immaturely slander other users. These kinds of people are the ones who never had the balls to stand up for themselves when bullies picked on them in high school, so they choose to use their downtime to inflate their ego in front of people they've never met. Its extremely pathetic, and obviously the quality of an emotionally immature, physically weak, intellectually deficient mongoloid.

Case in point… Inner Eulogy. Back me up man, start talking shit you fucking 5 year old.

Last edited by ufopancakes; 02-12-2008 at 09:58 AM..
02-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
calling me a 5 year old isn't going to go far in aligning me to your cause. you should try a different approach. and if you are always on the attack and your singular vision is to blast inner eulogy, you may miss what's going on around you.

now, i'm don't know enough about this little lovers quarral you have with him, and i don't care to. if you want to blast him, go ahead. but leave me out of it.

I was calling Inner Eulogy a 5 year old... becuase he incessently just talks shit. No matter what someone tries to bring to that table in an intelligent conversation, he always has something stupid and immature to say about it. I meant no disrepect towards you.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
calling me a 5 year old isn't going to go far in aligning me to your cause. you should try a different approach. and if you are always on the attack and your singular vision is to blast inner eulogy, you may miss what's going on around you.

now, i'm don't know enough about this little lovers quarral you have with him, and i don't care to. if you want to blast him, go ahead. but leave me out of it.

I was calling Inner Eulogy a 5 year old... becuase he incessently just talks shit. No matter what someone tries to bring to that table in an intelligent conversation, he always has something stupid and immature to say about it. I meant no disrepect towards you.
02-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Its all good. Now if you start going to boards and calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a moron, and just wasting digital space... I might have something bad to say about you. While I didn't quite agree with you, your opinion is valid becuase you're mature about it.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Its all good. Now if you start going to boards and calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a moron, and just wasting digital space... I might have something bad to say about you. While I didn't quite agree with you, your opinion is valid becuase you're mature about it.
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Old news, my good man.

By the by - best I can tell, yes, it's all a joke, a crack at heavy metal music and their incessant use of Satan and how it's overdone. After all, they are about "think for yourself," etc.

Also fun to note - a pentagram is also an orthographic projection of a pentachoron, the simplest of 4-polytopes (polychorons, 4D figures, whatever you want to call them), which has five tetrahedral cells. If you discount one of the 1s, 5 is the fourth number in the Fibbonacci Sequence. If you don't, then it, short of the first 1, is the only entry in the sequence which is equal to its position in the sequence (i.e. five is the fifth number of the sequence). Meaningful? Who the fuck knows...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Old news, my good man.

By the by - best I can tell, yes, it's all a joke, a crack at heavy metal music and their incessant use of Satan and how it's overdone. After all, they are about "think for yourself," etc.

Also fun to note - a pentagram is also an orthographic projection of a pentachoron, the simplest of 4-polytopes (polychorons, 4D figures, whatever you want to call them), which has five tetrahedral cells. If you discount one of the 1s, 5 is the fourth number in the Fibbonacci Sequence. If you don't, then it, short of the first 1, is the only entry in the sequence which is equal to its position in the sequence (i.e. five is the fifth number of the sequence). Meaningful? Who the fuck knows...
02-12-2008, 01:41 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q68mEUjsL-k

There is a pentagram behind Danny careys kit, I THOUGHT it was satanic, but the symbols on each point seem to be different... maybe it falls in line with what Schema was saying.

But Satanism is all about thinking for yourself. Its about accepting your inner desires and human nature rather than rejecting it.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

There is a pentagram behind Danny careys kit, I THOUGHT it was satanic, but the symbols on each point seem to be different... maybe it falls in line with what Schema was saying.

But Satanism is all about thinking for yourself. Its about accepting your inner desires and human nature rather than rejecting it.
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM

On an unrelated note (regarding that studio video of the creation of Undertow), I'm of the opinion that they should have kept Henry Rollins Screaming "Deead inside"... I thought it sounded cool.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

On an unrelated note (regarding that studio video of the creation of Undertow), I'm of the opinion that they should have kept Henry Rollins Screaming "Deead inside"... I thought it sounded cool.
02-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:

There was also what appeared to be some sort of pole-arm off to Danny's right-ish, which makes me think of the "parody element" thing I said before. Not sure exactly what it is, but I don't think that's part of your basic recording equipment.

Also - is there any similarity between that and the thing that Danny had with all the Enochian symbols on it that he had on the AEnima tour? I could go look through videos myself, but I'm a lazy bitch...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:

There was also what appeared to be some sort of pole-arm off to Danny's right-ish, which makes me think of the "parody element" thing I said before. Not sure exactly what it is, but I don't think that's part of your basic recording equipment.

Also - is there any similarity between that and the thing that Danny had with all the Enochian symbols on it that he had on the AEnima tour? I could go look through videos myself, but I'm a lazy bitch...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply