opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #5881
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion

That was Tool I saw less than two months ago, right? Didn't they play some songs nobody thought the would? That was them, right? I did see Tool last summer, right? But what band was it I saw tour continuously in 2007, who was that? Oh, right, that was Tool. What about 2006 when their last release came out? Oh, they toured the entire world then too.

A Perfect Circle has done nothing in that time span. THAT'S ALMOST FIVE YEARS. Get the hell out of here with your focus and dedication plea. How is he supposed to grow, mature and develop if he's busy playing Stinkfist and Schism EVERY SINGLE SUMMER?

The time apart between projects is what has allowed this band to stay as good as they are. They've all discussed this in multiple interviews, but apparently if the article doesn't contain NEW TOOL ALBUM in the title, then it's not worth reading to most. Maynard specifically has said, that most bands second and third albums drop off significantly because all they have to write about is being on the road because that's all they've experienced. Yet here you want him to go shit out an album after he's been on the road 4 out of the past 5 years.

Let the man enjoy his other passions in life, and I suggest you do the same.
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #5882
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineDaydream View Post
I am so glad to see that someone feels the same way I do. Most Tool/APC fans act as though it is blasphemous to suggest that anything Maynard touches doesn't turn to gold. I LOVE A Perfect Circle as much as the next guy, but was disappointed to find out that they are going on tour and will be working on material. How can Maynard contribute anything of substance when he is splitting his time so many different ways? A Puscifer DVD, an independent comedy, APC and lets not forget his vineyard. Thats great that the guy is blessed with so much creativity and imagination that he needs so many outlets, but seriously-can't he give these projects some respect and dedication by focusing on one or two at a time? I get that maybe Tool doesn't need as much focus as it is already established, but he wouldn't be where he is now if it wasn't for Tool. I guarantee that a good portion of his Puscifer and wine fans are crossovers from Tool. Tool made you what you are buddy! Give it SOME focus.
I come off as a raging prick, but that's only because I am - when it comes to my favorite band and music in general.

I'm just really disappointed after the setup Blair provided us.

Essentially, "They are writing, TOGETHER, as a 4 person unit and the album is definitely the #1 priority of all participants."

Let's be honest;

Maynard has lost interest in Tool.

Why?

His voice is gone, therefore he is alienated from the other three members, musically. This began during 10,000 Days; this cannot be doubted. The discord at the end of the recent shows is most telling. Toward the end of 10,000 Days tours Maynard was just leaving the stage immediately upon the end of the last song, while Danny, Adam and Justin stay and take it all in....

Essentially, they have all gotten better (say what you will about Adam), while Maynard's voice has only worsened. I have hundreds of bootlegs to prove this; there have been downright PAINFUL moments to listen to onstage. Maynard simply cannot pull off what he used to.

Listen to 4 degrees or Eulogy from 2002.

Listen to 3 Libras from 2004.

Lets put this all out there:

Ænima comes out 1996
Tool tours from 96-98
Tool breaks 99
APC begins/Mer de Noms 99
APC tours 99-00
Lateralus comes out 2001
Tool tours from 01-02
Tool breaks 03,04,05
13th Step comes out 03
APC tours 03-04
Maynards first "real" break in almost ten years.... 2005
10,000 Days 2006
Tool tours 2006-7
Puscifer.... and now APC?

His voice is gone because he is too greedy with his art, in my honest opinion.

Do I wish he saved his voice for Tool?

Yes; in fact, I think the APC spotlight fucked him up a wee bit. (Don't get me wrong, APC is amazing; the first two albums are awesome, but I would rather have another Tool album than 2 APC albums...)

Maynard started taking himself wayyyyy too seriously 2001-2002.

The speeches; everything.

Call me nuts, I'm just let down that the next album may have another joke song on it like Rosetta Stoned. And don't get me wrong; I fucking love the song, I just cannot believe Maynard went in this direction. I mean, this is ... Tool and he is slowly turning his back on it. He has become a tool. He absolutely disgraces the rest of the band on stage with his antics; he's not funny.

It makes too much sense, but I almost feel back for Adam, Danny and Justin.

Why?

Because Maynard, on top of having a blown voice, dictates the setlists and they have been a faltering live show for years as a result. Its the same show, every time. Anyone remember him wearing the gas mask at some of the shows in Europe? That's fucking pathetic; talk about embarrassing. He's acting like cigarette smoke is going to make a difference. How about performing 80+ times a year on average? I think that might have something to do with it...
Screaming had a lot to do with it obviously, but the touring with 2 bands put it over the top and sounded the death knell.

Maynard simply holds Tool back. The next album, should Maynard even be on it, will sound sonically fine; he can still pull some things off in the studio, but when it comes time to the live shows, I'll bet that we can expect more of the same.

That is, of course, unless he has finally found a woman to deal with his shit.

Maybe then and only maybe, will he have his shit somewhat together.

Maybe he'll at least try; that's all we can hope for.

And for what Tool used to be; that's sad.

At least to me.

That being said, I can't wait to hear the new album and whether or not Maynard can pull off the old APC at the upcoming shows, because we all know he can't pull off Tool anymore. Although, Jambi from the Nokia did sound particularly good...

*dons flameproof suit*
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #5883
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

maynard's a bit of a pussy

paul mccartney plays 3 hour shows and doesn't even take a sip of water through the show. he is 68 years old
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #5884
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

You take this band way too seriously.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #5885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanja View Post
A Perfect Circle has done nothing in that time span. THAT'S ALMOST FIVE YEARS. Get the hell out of here with your focus and dedication plea. How is he supposed to grow, mature and develop if he's busy playing Stinkfist and Schism EVERY SINGLE SUMMER?
No fucking kidding. The sense of entitlement among some of you people here is fucking pathetic. BAAAAAWWW I WANT MORE TOOL ALWAYS, FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE TOOL TOOL TOOL I ONLY WANT TO HEAR TOOL

Billy and Maynard havent done jack shit since like 2004, since then you guys have gotten from Tool 10K Days and everything following. And whenever Maynard comes out somewhere and says he wants to deviate (gasp) you manchildren just scream and bitch like clockwork. Its ridiculous.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #5886
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembutals View Post
No fucking kidding. The sense of entitlement among some of you people here is fucking pathetic. BAAAAAWWW I WANT MORE TOOL ALWAYS, FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE TOOL TOOL TOOL I ONLY WANT TO HEAR TOOL

Billy and Maynard havent done jack shit since like 2004, since then you guys have gotten from Tool 10K Days and everything following. And whenever Maynard comes out somewhere and says he wants to deviate (gasp) you manchildren just scream and bitch like clockwork. Its ridiculous.
Just callin' em' like I see em.'

Please explain Maynard and the gas mask, then we'll talk.

Until then, you can keep up the back-slapping fest that is this forum.

:love:
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #5887
Level 7 - Loquacious

Maynard wore the gas mask in Europe because they allowed smoking inside the venue's, what's your point?
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #5888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200L View Post
Please explain Maynard and the gas mask, then we'll talk.
Whats to explain about it? He likes to wear weird shit on stage.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #5889
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I come off as a raging prick, but that's only because I am - when it comes to my favorite band and music in general.

I'm just really disappointed after the setup Blair provided us.

Essentially, "They are writing, TOGETHER, as a 4 person unit and the album is definitely the #1 priority of all participants."

Let's be honest;

Maynard has lost interest in Tool.

Why?

His voice is gone, therefore he is alienated from the other three members, musically. This began during 10,000 Days; this cannot be doubted. The discord at the end of the recent shows is most telling. Toward the end of 10,000 Days tours Maynard was just leaving the stage immediately upon the end of the last song, while Danny, Adam and Justin stay and take it all in....

Essentially, they have all gotten better (say what you will about Adam), while Maynard's voice has only worsened. I have hundreds of bootlegs to prove this; there have been downright PAINFUL moments to listen to onstage. Maynard simply cannot pull off what he used to.

Listen to 4 degrees or Eulogy from 2002.

Listen to 3 Libras from 2004.

Lets put this all out there:

Ænima comes out 1996
Tool tours from 96-98
Tool breaks 99
APC begins/Mer de Noms 99
APC tours 99-00
Lateralus comes out 2001
Tool tours from 01-02
Tool breaks 03,04,05
13th Step comes out 03
APC tours 03-04
Maynards first "real" break in almost ten years.... 2005
10,000 Days 2006
Tool tours 2006-7
Puscifer.... and now APC?

His voice is gone because he is too greedy with his art, in my honest opinion.

Do I wish he saved his voice for Tool?

Yes; in fact, I think the APC spotlight fucked him up a wee bit. (Don't get me wrong, APC is amazing; the first two albums are awesome, but I would rather have another Tool album than 2 APC albums...)

Maynard started taking himself wayyyyy too seriously 2001-2002.

The speeches; everything.

Call me nuts, I'm just let down that the next album may have another joke song on it like Rosetta Stoned. And don't get me wrong; I fucking love the song, I just cannot believe Maynard went in this direction. I mean, this is ... Tool and he is slowly turning his back on it. He has become a tool. He absolutely disgraces the rest of the band on stage with his antics; he's not funny.

It makes too much sense, but I almost feel back for Adam, Danny and Justin.

Why?

Because Maynard, on top of having a blown voice, dictates the setlists and they have been a faltering live show for years as a result. Its the same show, every time. Anyone remember him wearing the gas mask at some of the shows in Europe? That's fucking pathetic; talk about embarrassing. He's acting like cigarette smoke is going to make a difference. How about performing 80+ times a year on average? I think that might have something to do with it...
Screaming had a lot to do with it obviously, but the touring with 2 bands put it over the top and sounded the death knell.

Maynard simply holds Tool back. The next album, should Maynard even be on it, will sound sonically fine; he can still pull some things off in the studio, but when it comes time to the live shows, I'll bet that we can expect more of the same.

That is, of course, unless he has finally found a woman to deal with his shit.

Maybe then and only maybe, will he have his shit somewhat together.

Maybe he'll at least try; that's all we can hope for.

And for what Tool used to be; that's sad.

At least to me.

That being said, I can't wait to hear the new album and whether or not Maynard can pull off the old APC at the upcoming shows, because we all know he can't pull off Tool anymore. Although, Jambi from the Nokia did sound particularly good...

*dons flameproof suit*
You are so contradictory, it's astonishing.

The very first line, you're disappointed because of Blair. You have to be joking, I pray to god you're joking. Blair, the most cryptic unfulfilling information provider of all time? Can you really not see how ridiculous this is. Blair said himself, he never wanted to be the bands messenger, for this very reason, but I'm sure you conveniently ignored that as well.

And to top this off the next thing you do is "essentially" put words in his mouth. I can seriuosly only shake my head at this, unbelievable.

Next you go on to talk about the discord amongst the band members. "That began during 10,000 Days." Hello, McFly, is anybody home? Did you read the revolver issue dedicated to Tool? SCHISM IS ABOUT MAYNARD AND ADAM. In that very magazine they both mention the creative process of Lateralus to be a very difficult time and even a near breaking point.

But let's go with what you essentially think it means instead, because that's what makes all the more sense.

Then the timeline, oh the timeline. Has time stopped since 2007? I'm almost positive I've seen Tool 5 times since then. But "essentially" this could all be my imagination. Who really knows?

On top of having a voice Marge Simpson could outsing he dictates the setlist and as a result the live show has faultered. DID YOU NOT SEE THIRD EYE THIS SUMMER? HOW ABOUT INTOLERANCE? Yeah, but that's all they changed, really? HOW ABOUT THE PATIENT, INTENSION, RIGHT IN TWO OR THE POT. He can't do The Pot because of his voice. Guess what, The Pot fucking rocked.

Maynard is Tool, the only reason you give him so much attention is because you're fascinated by him. Why pay so much attention to something you couldn't care less about? That's the definition of waste. He is the intrigue, you know what you're getting from everybody else every single night, that's top notch musicianship and god bless them for it. Maynard has you wrapped around his finger and your mad at him for it. Would you really like the band if you didn't like the singer or the lyrics? I personally can't think of one band where that's the case. Sure he has off nights, they all do. But when he's on he's the best in the business and quite possibly the best ever. He's unlike any frontman, he does what he wants, when he wants. He doesn't do what you think he should do, when you think he should. You want to plug in Chris Cornell and make a rock band? Let me know how that goes.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #5890
Level 7 - Loquacious

OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #5891
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Maynard wore the gas mask in Europe because they allowed smoking inside the venue's, what's your point?
I read your other post and I agree with you on many points; I do.

However, to address the first thing:

Maynard claimed the gasmask-mic contraption was to save him from inhaling cigarette smoke which would then harm his voice, i.e., keep him from singing his best.

That is a pathetic cover for the fact that his voice is gone. He hasn't had it every time I've ever seen them; he tried to explain to us in Boston at the Orpheum that he was sick, but we all knew better. He can pull off some stuff, but even in Schism he's usually gasping through the lines.

In fact, he began to lose it in 2001 toward the end of the second leg of the Lateralus tour.

Once again, I have listened to enough bootlegs to verify this.

You are absolutely right though; Maynard and Tool do have me wrapped around their finger musically.

Danny and Justin are Aliens.

Maynard is a personal hero of mine.

I don't feel entitled.

I just feel melancholy about APC doing their thing while we wait for another Tool album.

The whole Puscifer thing blows my mind.

I just don't get it.

The only song I like is Mama Sed.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #5892
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

this apc tour is just a cash grab
like the last 2 tool tours
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #5893
Level 7 - Loquacious

Holy SHIT! The petulant fucking whining on this board...

No wonder Junior dipped. 200L, my god, man. Get a fucking grip.

Life's too short to go through it acting like a fucking baby. Take your balls out of whatever purse/vice/asshole you've got them shoved up and be a man. Also: get a life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #5894
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
Holy SHIT! The petulant fucking whining on this board...

No wonder Junior dipped. 200L, my god, man. Get a fucking grip.

Life's too short to go through it acting like a fucking baby. Take your balls out of whatever purse/vice/asshole you've got them shoved up and be a man. Also: get a life.
:facepalm:
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #5895
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

lol @ you guys falling for Maynard's latest joke...
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #5896
Level 7 - Loquacious

Blair told me there's no such thing as Santa Claus and ruined my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #5897
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I read your other post and I agree with you on many points; I do.
How can you agree with me on many points when all my points intentionally contradict what you said?

I'm done with you, you're a microcosm of the collective meat-head douchebags that make up the majority Tool's fanbase. Can't wait for you to scream for Sober at the next show while your drunk off of Coors Original.

Cheers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #5898
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
How can you agree with me on many points when all my points intentionally contradict what you said?

I'm done with you, you're a microcosm of the collective meat-head douchebags that make up the majority Tool's fanbase. Can't wait for you to scream for Sober at the next show while your drunk off of Coors Original.

Cheers.
Hilarious!

You're a typical ignoramus; as your desperate last effort to discredit me, you attempt to pigeon-hole me as a typical meathead douchebag? You even went as far to as to throw out a big word (for you; microcosm); how witty and intelligent.

No wonder why you "are done with me." You can't even defend yourself to my logical conclusions.

You're simply confused.

I love this band more than you could conceive of; I listen to them more than any other band, by far.

I am just voicing my subjective opinion of Maynard's antics.

Go fuck yourself.

Much love,

200L
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #5899
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Hai guyz- been busy. What did I miss??

HOLY SHI---
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #5900
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Hilarious!

You're a typical ignoramus; as your desperate last effort to discredit me, you attempt to pigeon-hole me as a typical meathead douchebag? You even went as far to as to throw out a big word (for you; microcosm); how witty and intelligent.

No wonder why you "are done with me." You can't even defend yourself to my logical conclusions.

You're simply confused.

I love this band more than you could conceive of; I listen to them more than any other band, by far.

I am just voicing my subjective opinion of Maynard's antics.

Go fuck yourself.

Much love,

200L

You ignored my question. Essentially, you missed the point altogether.

Hey Sonny!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #5901
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 929

They're going to play all three APC albums this tour. I'm down.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #5902
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

popcorn anyone?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #5903
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
You ignored my question. Essentially, you missed the point altogether.

Hey Sonny!
Your question was pointless.

I can agree with you on many points, i.e., I see where you are coming from, yet I still fundamentally disagree with you.

Its because I understand your frame of reference, hence why I said this was merely my subjective opinion.

So, once again, relax and enjoy your hair.

Don't go hurting yourself with thinking you have won an internet forum debate...

You declared victory before you even heard my end of the story.

You're an ignoramus.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #5904
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'll give you some credit, you noticed my hair.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #5905
Level 10 - Vehement

Please do NOT call Dylan an ignoramous!!!

more like he's just some geek AZer who needs a throttling for sticking to his opinions... who, come to think of it, also owes me a beer (or was that Omar?). :D

Look, I ain't no peacemaker. I've never met some of you. But I appreciate most of your opinions and the tone of this thread. I have met Dylan. He's a stand up guy who is... opinionated. And they're good, well thought out opinions. Granted I don't think we need to be telling each other to fark off around here. Anyway, without acting any more like a mod- can't we all just get along?? We at least have enough in common to talk about not only the return of APC, but the affect it has on Tool. There's a lot to think about here and you guys are pretty much covering it. My .02
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #5906
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Please do NOT call Dylan an ignoramous!!!

more like he's just some geek AZer who needs a throttling for sticking to his opinions... who, come to think of it, also owes me a beer (or was that Omar?). :D

Look, I ain't no peacemaker. I've never met some of you. But I appreciate most of your opinions and the tone of this thread. I have met Dylan. He's a stand up guy who is... opinionated. And they're good, well thought out opinions. Granted I don't think we need to be telling each other to fark off around here. Anyway, without acting any more like a mod- can't we all just get along?? We at least have enough in common to talk about not only the return of APC, but the affect it has on Tool. There's a lot to think about here and you guys are pretty much covering it. My .02
I'm with you.

I'm trolling/letting off some steam about Maynard.

To take anything too seriously on the internet is utterly retarded.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #5907
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

I honestly don't know what to think about Maynard right now. I saw him and I thought he sounded great. He can't hit the stuff he used to. I'm pissed at him for choosing to do this after Blair (I know, I know. It's Blair,) told us that Tool was writing. I'm psyched about this new APC tour. It's a lot of conflicting emotions and I think we'll just have to "wait it out" and see where it all goes.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #5908
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

If people would prefer tool recording to apc/puscifer touring, that doesn't mean they have a sense of entitlement.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #5909
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
If people would prefer tool recording to apc/puscifer touring, that doesn't mean they have a sense of entitlement.
Thank you very much Mr. Sensible human being.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #5910
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I'll give you some credit, you noticed my hair.
I'll take that as a concession.

I still love you.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #5911
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Blair told me there's no such thing as Santa Claus and ruined my life.
YOU SON OF A BITCH. THERE'S NO SANTA CLAUS?!

I'll kill him!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #5912
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
I can get with that. I love Tool above all of Maynard's projects. This is a Tool forum. It's a fair assessment.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #5913
Level 10 - Vehement

Yes yes, as long as he doesn't leave Tool hangin' it's all good.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #5914
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post
Yes yes, as long as he doesn't leave Tool hangin' it's all good.
^what does that mean? Maynard is going to do another Tool record. YES, that will happen. Why do we care when it happens? Are you all oldsters (like me) and ready to kick it tomorrow?

Here's a hypothetical question- if Tool break up now and re-form again in 10 years, would you still go see them? What if they said they were only doing all new material?

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 09-15-2010 at 06:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #5915
Level 10 - Vehement

It doesn't mean anything, man...relax.

I don't care how long it takes for another Tool record as long as he's into it. I dig APC and would love the chance to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #5916
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post
It doesn't mean anything, man...relax.

I don't care how long it takes for another Tool record as long as he's into it. I dig APC and would love the chance to see them again.
Toolfriend (see what I did there?), if I get anymore relaxed I will be catatonic. I like hearing opinions, yours included. I did not really mean to ask for an either (Tool) or (APC) scenario. I mostly just wanted to know if you could think through to how you will feel about all this in 10 years. Just a thought. I'm an emo guy. Ask Dylan!

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 09-15-2010 at 07:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #5917
greetings from planet x

Bincount™: 1062

anyone who says tool isnt into their music like they used to be OBVIOUSLY did not attend any of the shows this summer.

seriously, i was at both red rocks shows, the 28th and 29th of june, and i gotta tell ya, that second night was one of the most indescribable feelings of my life. seriously. every single person in that audience was absolutely astonished/blown away by not only the energy of the band, but the thoughts and feelings that the music was bringing to our collective brains.

the man is older (maynard). of course he cant hit the same notes or has that young angst/passion that artists have when they are trying to "make it big" (hehe, i said make it big). but you know what, he went out there and absolutely gave his all this tour.

sure, he leaves right after the last song, who gives a fuck. hes not a FAKE. hes not going to FAKE hug everybody and put on some bullshit facade for the audience in some group hug. if he FELT like standing there group hugging, he would. he obviously doesnt feel like doing it. end of story. doesnt mean he hates his band mates or isnt in tune with them anymore, thats fuckin absurd. he just doesnt want to stand around and hug them.

hes a grown man, he can make that choice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #5918
Level 7 - Loquacious

^ I'm pretty sure he just has to piss from being a wino.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #5919
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Good debateskis folks!

What's cool is, at the end of all this, we're super passionate about this shit either way.

I just wanna throw in one more point. Some people say "smoke is smoke", but tobacco smoke has always bothered me. Inhaling second-hand cigg smoke bothers MY throat and impedes MY singing voice even more than smoking ganj. True story. If I recall correctly, in 2006 during a show in Germany, Maynard substituted a line in Ænima for "fucking smoking/smokers". Something along those lines. Yes, his voice has been gradually deteriorating. But that shit IS pretty harsh (and pointless). And the fact that he still plays gigs, etc., shows that he's not exactly hiding behind it. Perhaps to some extent he is by having his voice lower in the mix (like in late '07 in particular). I think that would make for a stronger argument than the gas mask.

I think the band was amazing this summer. I luurrved it.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 09-15-2010 at 09:59 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #5920
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
That was Tool I saw less than two months ago, right? Didn't they play some songs nobody thought the would? That was them, right? I did see Tool last summer, right? But what band was it I saw tour continuously in 2007, who was that? Oh, right, that was Tool. What about 2006 when their last release came out? Oh, they toured the entire world then too.

The time apart between projects is what has allowed this band to stay as good as they are. They've all discussed this in multiple interviews, but apparently if the article doesn't contain NEW TOOL ALBUM in the title, then it's not worth reading to most. Maynard specifically has said, that most bands second and third albums drop off significantly because all they have to write about is being on the road because that's all they've experienced. Yet here you want him to go shit out an album after he's been on the road 4 out of the past 5 years.

Let the man enjoy his other passions in life, and I suggest you do the same.

some people in this place have a really hard time respecting others opinions. They are opinions! Theres no need to get defensive just because someone doesn't share your opinion on a forum. Calm down there little guy.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: