opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 01-11-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Black,White,Yellow,Red !

i hear ppl sayin' that the colors mentioned in the song play a big role in aboriginal life..and some tok about sequences and i have no damn clue wot they r tokin' about...regardless wot maynard wud have said about it!...i find it very simple...he says:'black then white r all i see in my infancy...red and yellow then came 2 be reachin' out to me,lets me see'....the writer says when v step into this world...we only cum 2 know the basics...black and white being the very simplist colors....and then v grow up and our surroundings feed our mind!...this song is all about givin' way to new thoughts...dissecting every believe....lightning the every dark corner of mind!....and if u r able to do that...u have made full use of this beautiful gift by God called life!....thats what i think!...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

I agree...even in a more litteral sense though, when you are first born, I have heard that you can only see in black and white, but as days go by, your eyes start to be able to see colours.

But in a deeper sense, he could be saying that as we grow, our minds are able to percieve deeper thoughts...push the envelope...and never stop opening ur mind wider
Old 01-12-2003, 04:07 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

finally some1 agrees wid me...!...in desperation 2 understand the lyrics,which contain a strong sense of humor & unusual furious feelingz,ppl get soooooo into it that they lose the right track...all i find in Maynards lyric is symbolizism...he juss makes the lyrics wear clothes....u gotta juss take them off!...haha...!not dissect through the whole body and leave it a dead body!....lol!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Agreement...

I agree totally with you. While I do think that Maynard puts alot of tought into lyrics to give them alternate meanings, individual to everyone, I think it is best not to over-analyze what is there. The whole song seems like it is written from a childs perspective. Both with the colors, and the fact that children dont over-analyze...they take things truthfully and at face value. They see the beauty of life as it is..not as it should or shouldnt be.

"Feel Connected"
Old 01-16-2003, 05:57 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yeh....all wot Maynard mentions about the fibonica(or woteva te hell that is)sequence...i think itz only a joke...juss to get ppl tangled and start workin' their minds...by the way may i know wot significance it can have and wot it really is?...as far as the aboriginal theory is concerened...again..he might have said that cuz aboriginies live on the basics of life...they dunt have homes like we do...or they dunt sit over internet and discuss tool songz as we do..haha...
Old 01-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Do you know anything about the fibonacci sequence? Before I talk about something I make sure I understand what it is.

The golden spiral. Why would the song not be related to the sequence when it speaks of this spiral at the end? There are blatantly obvious references to the sequence, from lyrical format to subject matter to changing time signatures in the music. Have you read any posts on the subject? Because I could start rattling off info, but I feel it would be redundant. What do you suppose the song is trying to get across?
Old 01-17-2003, 03:09 AM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hmmm...all i know about the sequence is that u add the last no to get the next number...for eg...1,1,3,5...thats all i know..and i'd like to know ur theory of the spiral...
Old 01-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
KCh
Level 3 - Talker

The colors represent not just what an infant really goes through at the begining stages of life, it is also qabalistically significant.

Black and white are opposites and could represent the two extreme pillars of mercy and severity on the tree of life.

Red and Yellow can be seen in the same light by looking up the correspondences.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:37 AM   #9
(R)
Level 2 - Poster

when it comes to the spiral, it is related to the fibonacci sequence. just say you take a grid. Draw a square that's 1 block in size. then draw another that's also one block next to it... fuck I'm going to do a shit job of explaining this without visual aids... so i'm just going to give this link.

http://eonblue.musicdot.com/fibonacci.htm

there is a paragraph on the spiral and the sequence.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Fibinocci (sp all fucked up) sequence goes like this

1 Black
1 Then
2 White are
3 All I see
5 In my infancy
8 Red and yellow then came to be
5 Reaching out to me
3 Lets me see
2 There is
1 So
1 Much
2 More and
3 Beckons me
5 to look thru to these
8 infinite possibilities
13 as below so above and beyond I imagine
8 Drawn outside the lines of reason
5 push the envelope
3 watch it bend
As you can see he pulses in and out on the spiral sequence.

Last edited by NoVestal; 01-25-2003 at 10:49 AM..
Old 01-26-2003, 05:13 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hmmm....thanx!..but i still think Maynard doesn't know all that!...he isn't that literate!.lol!
Old 01-27-2003, 06:11 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Fibonacci is real, lateralus is all about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDisturbed1
hmmm....thanx!..but i still think Maynard doesn't know all that!...he isn't that literate!.lol!
The numbers of syllables in the song are Fibonacci numbers, draw cocentric squares with Fibonacci areas and you get a spiral, maynard says the word "spiral" about fifty times in this song. This is NOT an accident, if there is one speculation about this album that is correct, it is the Fibonacci connection. Dont doubt it Disturbed, its cool stuff. Learn up on it and you will see it too. The spiral, and fibonacci numbers are seen in nature again and again. Count the number of shoots on a plant, they will either be fibonnaci numbers or be the golden mean in proportion of the last tier of shoots to the next tier. Every Nautilus PERFECTLY shows the golden mean in volumes of each new compartment.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:43 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

well i get it now!its a sequence found in nature!....kinda interesting and makes link to the song aswell!....i like the idea!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:17 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Heres my way of seeing it. Black&White being like dogmatic true/false thinking thats bombarded towards you already since your young by school, authorities and society. Just seeing things generally black&white and highly dualistic way.

Red and yellow could then symbolize fire that burns away those old beliefs and gives you more space to explore and see ideas from new point of views.

That fire could also be kundalini rising(the fire of life) and then you could see this song as some kind of energy ascension, spiraling out(astral projection?), feeling alive, seeing theres so much more out there. Having peace in your mind and just letting it all flow through you and feel it...

"I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral "

And i guess kundalini spirals through your spine and chakras in fibonacci(sacred geometry) way..
Old 03-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #15
eek
Level 4 - Thinker

tree of life

I don't have the link on me at the moment (I'm at work), but I'm lead to belieeve that the colors refer to spheres on the Tree of Life (related to chakra).

Black, white represent fairly basic things (among them confusion I think), I forget what red is (discovery/application?), but anyway, yellow is "harmony, beauty, truth, the Golden Ratio".

And that's the tie-in.
I'll try to post the Tree of Life link that explains the spheres soon.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 4
kundalini

yeah this album/song could very well have direct relation to the chakras/kundalini. I was just reading another kundalini yoga book, and it was talking about how the heart chakra is the center, the navel and throat are connected, the genitals and third eye are connected, the root and crown are connected. It made me think of that thread about how Parabola is the center of the album and the rest of the tracks form a curve around it. If you transfer the chakras to the tree of life, this can all tie in nicely.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I psych class I learned that that is the order of colors that a babies see when it is born.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: