opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/21 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

All in all, it was an awesome show.

THE OPENING BAND
Isis was a pleasant surprise. They'd be much better if they were a purely instrumental band, though. They reminded me of a Tool-ish jam band ---- long, drawn out extended solos and jams over dark, ominous riffs. The lead guy looked like Gumby with all that headbanging back and forth....

THE MUSIC
Tool was awesome, as always. Maynard sounded good, the band seemed to be in good spirits all around, and it was incredible to hear the newer songs live. 10,000 Days/Wings for Marie was the highlight for me, although Lateralus was great also.

THE VISUALS
A bit disappointing for me, honestly. The visuals for the newer songs just looked a little amateurish; the visuals at my last Tool show were just a bit better (2001). The lasers were a nice touch, though, and waiting until 10,000 Days/Wings to use them was a good call.

THE CROWD
Wow, I was so impressed by the crowd! Everyone around us was courteous and polite, and I got no strange looks for being 'older' (I'm 36, but the baldness makes me look even older). No moshing, no drunken idiots, just a bunch of people there to hear some great music.

All in all, an awesome experience. Looking forward to the next Tool tour to do it all again!

Last edited by malictus; 09-22-2006 at 07:25 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 156

I was in the 3rd row. I'm really short, and I could only see Adam and Maynard. I saw Justin once, and Danny at some points. Kinda sucked for me, having a tall dude in front of me. Visuals on stage? I didn't even know. Fuck. Although I kept looking up and saw the ones coming from the ceiling. People were going crazy, it was awesome. But for some reason I just stood there, doing nothing. I just stood and took it in, closed my eyes at some points. It was intense.

I'm left in awe. I'm glad I have the day off work, to recollect myself. It was amazing. I still can't believe I saw Tool (my first Tool show). FUCK.

I left with a natural high. I didn't shut up about it until I passed out at 3am. I geeked the fuck out.

Oh and, did anyone see a Amish dude at the show?? Well, I was sitting outside on some grass, waiting for my ride and this amish dude walks past. Me and my bf look at each other and get up and start running after the dude and ask him if I can get a picture with him. It was sweet.

Amazing show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

I just wanted to thank everyone in section 108 for being cool as hell. As said in previous posts, the whole crowd was great. I think everyone was there to see Tool for Tool, not to get drunk and mosh around.

I'm repeating what most others have said it seems but...

Isis was good...till the singer started screaming for no point. Its cool if you scream for a reason in your song (i.e. Learn to Swim) but to just be jamming out then step up to the mic and scream three times, and go back to jamming, i dont get it. The music was excellent. Like a poster said before, I'd buy it if it was only instrumental.

Tool was spectacular as usual. The visuals went from stunning to borderline "Am i at a Kiss Show." Not to be picky but green lasers are cool, purple and orange lasers are not. I think your visuals want to set the "feel" for your songs not distract from them. Wings was a percect example, with the calm lasers, the clouds and such. But to end with all kinds of lasers flashing everywhere, it almost was to the point of distraction. The sound was average. It was sure as hell loud, but i'll take clarity when everyone is in full jam mode than just a wall of sound. Leading up to the height of each song was perfect but when everyone one hit full strength, it became a mess a few times. In retrospect, with the guitar down and the vocals up just a tad, it might have worked itself out.

Again i want to reinterate how great of a crowd it was. I thought maybe Maynard would have appreciated that more after getting pegged with a bottle and all the moshing/crushing incidents. Who knows, maybe he did, maybe he didnt.

Spiral Out
Orlando, FL February 7 2012
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

3rd TOOL show, somewhat disappointed at the overall effect, 99% of it being the shitty sound and the dumbasses around me.

Either the acoustics of that place sucked ass, or they need to get a new sound engineer. A very muffled sound for the most part. The band itself was dead-on, but the overall sound needed adjusted.

Total fucking idiots all around me completely ruined a lot of the show. Dickheads constantly playing with their cellphones, talking very loudly during EVERYTHING and more enamoured with being at a TOOL show than actually enjoying it. The more I tried to tune it out, the louder they got. And this little rat that sat in front of me *really* needed to take a shower. Try to enjoy a show with constant waves of BO coming at you. Perhaps I was ruined with my first show in Louisville a few years back when everyone was there to actually see the show. Last night, by comparison, was a frat party. I'd like to take this moment to give all of you that contributed to that a big FUCK YOU. Stay home next time, please.

The band was tight. Highlights for me were The Pot, Jambi and Rosetta Stoned. Irony really kicked in during Aenima, all of the self-absorbed bastards chanting "learn to swim" like they were the ones in need of karmic cleansing.

Thanks, TOOL, for putting on a great show. I hope to catch you in a more conducive setting next time. For the rest of you, leave your cell phones at home and learn when it's proper to sing along and when to shut the fuck up.

Sorry for the rant, but it was beyond ridiculous last night. They had some really tight laser effects, but overall the visuals weren't there and I think that played a part in the disconnection with the audience. They typically have a way of forcing a meditation that channels everyone in and that was definitely missing last night. I think I was really looking forward to that and it was sorely missing at least for me personally.

Last edited by hicksfan; 09-22-2006 at 08:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

That was such an awesome fucking show. I'm from Indianapolis, so I had to drive 3 hours to see them in Columbus... worth every mile. The visuals get better and better every time I see them. I was up on the balcony on the right side of the stage. Besides a speaker column covering up maynard almost the whole time, that spot was perfect. You could see everything that was going on on the screens on the floor of the stage. I kinda thought to myself in the middle of the show. "Goddamn, the people timing all these lights and visuals are working harder than the band!!"

Oh yeah, I was on shrooms too. But I had a real hard time telling that I was trippin. There was all this fucked up tripped out shit going on onstage... but I couldnt tell if it was me or if it was tool. I also brought 5 people from indy... one person kinda likes Tools music but shes not really into them. After the show she said that she felt like she was on drugs (even though she was the sober driver). I explained to her that she was on "Tool"... and that Tool just ruined every other live performance she is going to see for the rest of her life. Because once you subconciously compare any band to tool, its almost not even worth going.

But yeah... badass Show. I peaked during Rosetta Stoned. I LOVEEEED 46n2. I've been waiting to see that for so long. The little liquidy face visual for that song was so fucking cool. Insane props to everyone who made that show happen.

And maynard didnt sound sick at all to me.. This is my third time seeing him (second with tool) and he sounded the best out of all three. I was suprised.

Cant wait till they come to indy.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #46
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Amazing show, . Cant wait to see them again on 09/28 in camden. I was unable to make it to the merchendise booth. I didnt notice if they were selling the alex grey poster, if they where how much was it? was it the big one. Need to plan my finances for my second show)
- The Almighty Kool Keith!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

One hell of a show overall. Although they did rush thru a lot of the songs. Maynard never let the music repeat between verses. And he cut a lot of his own repeats down by half. Maynard was right on for every note thru the whole show, but the terrible acoustics in the arena made every word sound muffeled. The music was great. Justin, Adam, and Danny all unbelieveable musicians and tight as hell. I was dissapointed that there was no drum solo or improve jam like there was back on the Lateralus tour. Maynard did not pick up a guitar once. He stood back on the keyboard for most of the show.

The stage was nothing but average this time. There was a lot more going on during the Lateralus tour. Last time there were bigger screens and more stage props like the parabalas floating around at the back of the stage, and the lightning jumping between the lights above the stage.

They played every song perfectly with some interesting variations.

Overall I would give the show a 7 out of 10. But thats just because after the Lateralus tour I was expecting more.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

I was also quite impressed with the crowd. Granted there are a few dumbasses there, but for the most part the crowd was very tame. If that was Indianapolis, all those chairs on the floor would have gotten tossed everywhere and a bunch of people would have gotten seriously injured. I was amazed that all the chairs stayed put.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurykeith View Post
Final thoughts and a brief complaint, though I'm sure I'm not the first one, even in this thread to mention it, what the fuck is up with the merch prices this time around? I go to lots of shows and understand that this stuff is always overpriced and outrageous but Tool seemed to be taking things to new heights with the $38/43 dollars and UP t-shirts. Not cool guys. I would have loved to pick one up but there comes a point when you've got to have principles about these things. See you next year.

Yeah, the prices were kinda out there... but I thought it was bullshit that you couldnt exchange anything. My girlfriend bought a shirt there and figured out later on that it was a little too small... but they werent allowed (apperantly by Tool's request) to exchange it. If you want a fan to buy a shirt so they can be walking billboards and promote your band... why not let them get the right fucking size? They wont wear it if its two sizes too small.. so now all they get is the 5 dollars from the shirt itself, and not the extra recognition.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I'm pretty sure Blair was one of the techs dressed in the white lab coats. Anyone else notice him?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

This show exceeded my expectations in every way. Driving down there, I heard Danny being interviewed on 99.7 and he said Maynard still wasn't 100 percent and they would probably alter the set list to take it easy on him. At that point, I was pissed and wasn't expecting much. But as the night went on and they played the same set list they've been playing everywhere else and Maynard sang every note pretty much to perfection, I realized Danny had been pulling our legs. The entire band was on. I wonder if the Columbus crowd engergized them because, while I don't want to toot my own horn, we were great. There was no idiotic pit to be found. All the chairs on the floor stayed intact and no jackasses threw stuff on stage and there was no inappropiate screaming....just excitement and adoration from the fans. I disagree with whoever said Maynard didn't seem like he wanted to be there. On the contrary, I think he sucked it up and put on an inspired performance, which indicated to me that he was very happy to be there. For those of you who will be seeing them the next few days and are worried about the quality of show you will get, have no fear. So long as your crowd is as good as Columbus, you should be in for a treat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Whoever posted the conservative rant...yeah regardless whether we agree or disagree with you this is not the place for that. And whoever said the slow songs on the new album are not good and wasted space complaining about not being able to get enough overpriced beer...sounds like you were at the wrong concert. Maybe try Linkin Park next time or something.

I agree with the general feeling that the crowd was just as a Tool crowd should be...into the show and attentive, but no moshing or crowd surfing idiocy. And as for the lasers, I think they worked on some songs and not others. They totally set the right mood for wings/10k, with the slowly unfolding/collapsing green lasers fanning in and out, catching the smoke in them when totally unfolded. But they were kind of cheesy on vicarious, with the tiny beams of purple and orange and whatnot crossing each other every which way. Those did sort of look like Def Leppard or something. So hit and miss there.

As for the band and the videos...almost everything was spot on imo. I had good seats (floor sec 2, row Q) and am tall, so I could see everything pretty well. But I can imagine if you were sitting far back in the arena maybe you wouldnt have been able to see the videos behind the band that well, considering half of them were blocked by the band and the equipment itself. I only noticed two fuckups. One was so minor its hardly worth mentioning, but during rosetta stoned maynard left the band hanging at the part where he says "and i didnt even graduate from fucking high school." He was a bar early on that and left the band playing a bar of dead music that should have lyrics. Also the video guy was asleep during stinkfist or something. He caught up by the Pot, but left the entire first song without the video screens they should have had. I mean, that song actually has an official video, with the sand people, and instead it was just left with flashing green lights on the video screens. Oh well.

Also seeing them live should put to rest some of the lyrical debates on 10k days songs going on on this website and elsewhere. Like for instance, it should be clear to anyone that had a good sound mix where they were sitting that its "damn my eyes" on jambi, not "dim" or anything else. I mean you could hear him saying the word "damn" pretty clearly.

Overall an excellent show, hope they come back to ohio when they do their 2007 leg.

Btw, was anyone else scared by the reports on the radio circa 6 pm that the band had missed the flight they were supposed to be on in the morning, and were not even in town yet at that point? The people on the radio werent sure if the concert was gonna even happen or not.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #53

Bincount™: 11

This show was amazing and all the newer material is JOKINGLY good. Infact they should of played every song off of 10kdays, they basically did minus right in two/intension.

But Justin/Danny are simply the best rhythm unit in music. No way around it, I was watching Justin and Danny the whole time.

Who cares about Maynard. ANYONE can sound good with all the insane effects he has on his voice, for all I care they could play the vocal melodies on a keyboard. I'd pay just as much to watch Justin, Danny, and Adam.

The visuals were amazing, unless you were on the floor. I think Tool was very much into the performance.

On the way in there were signs that said "no moshing" and someone behind me read it and said "No Fun." I felt sorry for that dude, just for being so ridiculously retarded.

I don't know how people are saying there were no idiots, I encountered about 20 idiots. But whatever that is expected.

Rosetta Stoned was sooo intense I had to sit down HONESTLY. The highlight for me was the extended stinkfist and the end of Jambi. Justin and Danny were just tearing it up ALL NIGHT LONG.

Right in Two should be substituted for Schism, thank god for the fast part because that saved the song. Schism should be dropped but other than that no COMPLAINTS.

Except for Isis was the WORST THING EVER. Are you people saying they rocked joking? They had 3 guitar players and it NEVER sounded like more than one guitar. Thats pathetic.

And their "mellow" sections were sooooo awful. I was worried that the sound was gonna be bad for Tool because the sound quality during Isis was nothing short of an abomination. Tool's sound on the other hand was the best i've ever heard ANYWHERE and I am an audio engineer I know what im talking about.

Isis is sooooo horrible.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

2006/09/21 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

well well well where to begin, i guess with the opener Isis, i wasn't to impressed, but a lot of that was due to the shit sound they had, couldn't hardly hear the vocals, but the music was a mixture between mogwai and opeth at times, but still, nothing overly special.

Now for tool....

well they opened with stinkfist, sounded fucking amazing, just black lights at this point, however the entire stage was white and some of the amps too, all along the back stage where huge TV screens with all kinds of shit on it, when maynard first addressed the audience he said "Round on both ends and HIGH in the middle--pay attention stoners"
he didnt really talk that much, i have seen tool and APC and have always wished he would move like i saw on the OLD tool tour videos, well he did, at one point he was leaning back, swaying from side to side very fast, his back was maybe 2 feet off the ground, looked fucking cool as shit, and he twitched around and acted like he was having a great time. more about the shit on the screens, during "the pot", it started with smoke in reverse, very cool effect, plus the whole stage floor had images projected on it too, if one were on acid, it would have been unbeatable, then comes the red lasers, there was 3 of them at first then they broke into a bunch flowing from the stage to the very top and back of the arena, and then there were green lasers too, not cheesy lasers, very cool ones, this was by far one of the best shows i have ever seen, and also this is without a doubt the absolute best i have ever seen tool perform, AAA++++ perfomance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

4th Row on the end
1st Tool Concert Ever
OH MY GOD
Will never miss again, people said the sound was not that great, but from where I was it sounded pretty nice, had a great time except for the cell phone happy trendy yuppy a$$ maynard wannabe standing next to me who didn't even have a ticket! But oh well all is fair in love, war and TOOL!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknox View Post
4th Row on the end
1st Tool Concert Ever
OH MY GOD
Will never miss again, people said the sound was not that great, but from where I was it sounded pretty nice, had a great time except for the cell phone happy trendy yuppy a$$ maynard wannabe standing next to me who didn't even have a ticket! But oh well all is fair in love, war and TOOL!
Did he have a fake mohawk, cowboy boots and glasses on?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deruk View Post
well well well where to begin, i guess with the opener Isis, i wasn't to impressed, but a lot of that was due to the shit sound they had, couldn't hardly hear the vocals, but the music was a mixture between mogwai and opeth at times, but still, nothing overly special.

You can't really hear the vocals on their CDs either, FWIW. It's just how they do things. I don't mind it personally, I dig their sound.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

Ballman, I was in section 108 also, row x, seat 13. I moved to 109, the handicapped seating after the show started,(had a leg brace on, had surgery on my acl back in August). Where I was at was directly in between the overhead jumbotron screen, and high up enough to look down on the stage and see everything.
This was my second Tool show, first one was 2001 at the Schott, saw APC at Vets last time they were here also.
Lights, lasers, screens, fog, sound(all though I thought the treble was a bit high but thats an arena show for you), everything was amazing.
Was at the pre show thing earlier it was a trip seeing all the "oh my God we're being overrun" looks on the bussiness peoples faces when all the Tool fans outnumbered everyone else that was there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Excellent, excellent show, seen 'em 4 times now 3 of them in '02
couldn't tell he was getting over being sick at all....flawless. However i do have two things to say and i think most people will agree with, or at least one of them, Tee-Shirts used to be 30 bucks which was pushing it but that was fine, concert tee, 30 bucks OK np, now there 38-43!!! sweatshirts for 70..... WTF! again WTF. seems a little pricey for someone (TOOL) that i would like to think of as "Not all about the money"

The other thing is why has Tool always been so GD anal about camera's/pics?
They rarley put out concert vids, I would be more than happy to buy one, they go out of the way to put a stop to anything of the sort, If you read this Maynard please do us all a favor and answer these 2 questions, some kind of justification would be nice. Its your band, your rules, thats fine, i respect that but it would be nice to know why.....people would kill to be able to get vids of the shows they've been to.. and the thing is.... im not selling, they are for ME. Having a guy in black come over to me last night in Columbus and telling me and i quote "I DONT WORK FOR THESE GUYS........I WORK FOR MAYNARD, MAYNARD SENT ME UP HERE." and escort me out to the front at the very end of the show is B.S. Especially when there's 8000 out of 20000 people with camera phones all around me. Come on...WTF.

Apparently Maynard or as i suspect Adam Jones (being he looked dead at me for about 1 min, and then if you remember walked off stage for about 30 seconds a little bit before the encore started) sent there guy to my seat to personaly take my memory card and batteries is a bit much. Oh well didnt happen, Sorry guys.....i will always have my memories. I lOVE TooL and have always beeen a dedicated fan since '90.

Do what Les Claypool does, post Video of the shows online for purchase, that would make many people very happy and you would make alot of money off of it.

But honestly i really dont think they are like that because of the $$$, i really dont.

anyway i still love you guys and your music, theres nothing like it. keep up the good work.....peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J ROD View Post
He dedicated Wings to "Jan"...If I can remember correctly.
he said," this song goes out to jan"....When i saw APC in '03 at Vets memorial, during the break down of one of the songs he said "Jan Keenan stand up"

As to who she is, dunno, a relative obviouisly. Most bios list him as an only child, but this site says he has an older sister. would make sense to dedicate Wings to his sister.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show! Section 1, 6th row, well worth the money. Loved the encore of Vicarious, Lateralus and Aenema. Perfect.

This was my second Tool experience, the first was Aenema tour (I guess 10 years ago?) at Ozz Fest in Akron at the Rubber Bowl--that was crazy, insanely awesome--one of the best concerts I've ever witnessed. You can't expect the same experience now, with an arena show, but I was very pleased with the show last night.

However, what's with all the anti-moshing talk? I prefer to MOVE when I see Tool--they stir me up into movement. Does that make me a moron? Maybe those of you that just stand there and watch need to come out of your shells a little more and have some fun! News flash, moshing can be quite fun! I'm over 30, and would be glad to mix it up during songs like Jambi and Vicarious--Not to injure people intentionally, but to express myself physically--Is that a f_ucking crime? Jesus!

The fact that there was no pit was lame, in my opinion, and will always be so when seeing a band like Tool--I almost didn't attend because of this--but I made my own 2' by 2' pit. "Thanks" to security for letting me move a foot into the isle to enjoy myself!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #62
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 166

Yeah, I have the apc concert at Vets on cd, and I love listening to it and reliving it...
I would LOVE to have the concert last night on cd too!
I saw tons of people with camera phones too, I dont know if they were recording or just holding their phone up so they could see the stage (through the phone).

I recorded a voice memo on my phone, during Rosetta stoned where he says 'But I forgot my pen, shit the bed again... typical' its horrible quality though... I didnt expect it to be wonderful.

I couldnt get into schism either, but my husband wished they had played more off of Lateralus. We both would have liked to hear right in two.

I cant get over how Lateralus made me feel, I just closed my eyes and I dont know... wow.
Aenima was good too, I liked how everyone around me really got into it. Im glad he didnt do the repeating thing he had at the other shows...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

NOTHING compares to the ENERGY of TOOL.

knowing i was in the same room with those four people was incredible.

i do agree with what someone said earlier, which was that i wasnt pulled in to the meditation like i expected to be, although it was still a complete spiritual experience. plus, i was pretty far away.

i like it when bands dont ruin the moment with alot of talking and jokes, like a shitty band like green day does. the entertainment is the music, and alot of talking distracts from the focused atmosphere. i think thats tool in general, the mystery makes it powerful.

i also thought it was witty of them to just sit and stare at us for awhile, kinda like, "how bout you entertain us, bitch? oh wait, you cant. welp, back to it, then." i realized then how much i was relying on them in that moment, and how much anticipation there was from the whole crowd, and from the years in between albums.

really wanted to hear pushit, hooker with a penis, h., eulogy, prison sex, sober, jimmy ("under a dead ohio sky"...), BUT was blown away by the 10k days songs. ive always thought they were soundtrack-like, and live they def conveyed a sort of multi-dimensional feeling.

climax:
"give me my, give me my, give me my wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

UNBELIEVABLE
experimental creativity that is unmatched
back to real life, uhhh
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
You've seen them since 92' and you thought he performed every note and scream "perfect". C,mon I know it's hard to say but as much as MJK USED TO BE perfect. He's just not the same. Great, deffinetly, but unless you can suddenly buy vocal chords in the music shop next to the strings and skins, it won't be "perfect" .
I was right next to the monitors I could hear it all clearly. Even at Maynards so called best he was never like the record. It is live, he was sick and yes he he hit every not. as best a he could better than I could expect. I have seen them perform at least 15 times and have heard mistakes everytime but thats what makes them human and perfect at the same time. A little critical eh?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoolfan View Post
Great show! Section 1, 6th row, well worth the money. Loved the encore of Vicarious, Lateralus and Aenema. Perfect.

However, what's with all the anti-moshing talk? I prefer to MOVE when I see Tool--they stir me up into movement. Does that make me a moron? Maybe those of you that just stand there and watch need to come out of your shells a little more and have some fun! News flash, moshing can be quite fun! I'm over 30, and would be glad to mix it up during songs like Jambi and Vicarious--Not to injure people intentionally, but to express myself physically--Is that a f_ucking crime? Jesus!

The fact that there was no pit was lame, in my opinion, and will always be so when seeing a band like Tool--I almost didn't attend because of this--but I made my own 2' by 2' pit. "Thanks" to security for letting me move a foot into the isle to enjoy myself!
Thats fine that you prefer to move, but do you realize how selfish your logic is? A lot of people prefer to enjoy tool in a different way and simply absorb the music. The problem is the same as with smoking in public, really. If I choose not to smoke, that only affects me, not anyone else. But if I choose to smoke, that affects everyone else and makes the choice for them. If I choose not to mosh, again, that only affects me and no one else. But if I choose to mosh, that affects everyone in my vicinity, who gets bumped and pushed whether they want to or not. The choice to mosh then, like the choice to smoke in public, is a fundamentally selfish and inconsiderate one. And its not only about injuring people. You seem to be saying that as long as you're not intentionally injuring people then its ok. You can still ruin someone's concert experience without actually injuring them. You're basically saying that what YOU prefer to do takes precedence over what other people around you prefer. I'm glad security did a good job and didnt really let anything happen last night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #66
Level 2 - Poster

WOW is all I can say. I was in Section 107 row P in seat 12. Wings was definately a highlight along with Lateralus. Ænema just kicked ass too. "Learn to Swim" being chanted rocked. The sound was crisp and clean when needed and distorted and weird when needed too. A LOT of people around me got blitzed, but hey it's pretty common eh?

P.S. Anyone get pictures or a recording of any kind want some to rub in my friends face while I wear my 10,000 days tour T-shirt.

P.P.S. I was one of the people wearing a black hoodie with the wrench on the back during Isis withb the undertow shirt under and later the 10k Days shirt. BTW the chickwho flashed right before TOOL came on, nice tits.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #67
Level 3 - Talker

Did you guys notice when Danny fucked up on Lateralus? I think he got a bit ahead and Adam was shaking his head trying to get him back in time. But that was the only screw up I noticed and he sure and shit made up for it with his incredible drumming the entire night. I was just in awe.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

What is the answer to Maynard's little brainteaser he said at the beginning of the show?

This was my first time to see Tool live, and all I have to say is wow.... I've been to a lot of different concerts, but man, this took the cake so to speak.

"See you in Cleveland, Peace....Out!" Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey...Aenima.

I was in Section 107, Row P, Seats 15 and 16 and I thought the sound was pretty damn good. Dylannator, I'm pretty sure you were the one with the weed man, thanks for sharing, cool as hell.

Highlights for me were The Pot, it was fucking amazing live, and Lateralus stole the show.

Maynardisms:

"Hello crowd."
-Stinkfist-
"Round on the outside, High in the middle. Pay attention Stoners."
-The Pot-
"What the fuck happened here last election, c'mon"
-46 and 2-

"This song goes out to (Either "You" or "Jan")" (hard to hear what he said)
-Wings for Marie/10,000 Days-

"Goodnight............(crowd boos) I double-dog dare you to leave."
-Lateralus-

"See you in Cleveland, Peace....Out"
-Aenima-

I had one hell of an expierence for my first Tool show, my g/f and I can't wait to catch them next time around.

P.S.-Hopefully them come a little closer to us than Columbus, OH. We live in Evansville, IN. It was a 5 hour+ haul to Columbus, would totally do it again, but Indianapolis would be a little nicer.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #69
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 166

Anyway... I thought it was neat to see so many tool fans... last night reminded me of how many people are in columbus, I didnt see ONE familiar face (well, except the ones who came with me of course) I like living in a bigger city.
I wonder how many exactly came from out of state... I saw a car with south carolina plates... long way to drive.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #70
Level 2 - Poster

[QUOTE=Creeping2black;1424469]What is the answer to Maynard's little brainteaser he said at the beginning of the show?

That would be the state they jammed in:
O HI O
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknox View Post
4th Row on the end
1st Tool Concert Ever
OH MY GOD
First of all I am WAY TO FUCKING TALL to be a "cell phone happy trendy yuppy a$$ maynard wannabe" and learn your english.......wanna be is 2 words......ass. Back to the "all is fair in love" thing. Thanks for letting me stand next to you. And thanks for not turning me in to security. I would have hated to kick your ass. Ha! You were a good sport. I am going to find you in cleveland if you go on monday and stand next to you again. And I am going to talk on my phone the whole time! Dont hate me because I didnt like the seat I purchased. Salt lake city second row was too cool! LEARN TO SWIM !!!!!!!!

And by the way......... Steller performance by tool.......... Needed to Add that !
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #72

This show was fucking awesome. I loved it. I was in section 116 and the sound was awesome but Maynard's singing was pretty baffled by the instruments. This was my first Tool show and now im hooked. I drove 5-6 hours for those guys and they sure did pay me back and made it worth it. I didnt get a chance to buy any merch and I regret it big time. I wish I would have bought one of those giant posters, or a shirt with the dates on it but stupid fuck like me didnt get anything. I took my g/f who kinda like a few Tool songs such as "The Pot","46&2", "Vicarious", "Aenema" and she loved the show. She didnt really know anything about Tool or the song titles or lyrics but Im sure that is going to change after last nights show. If any of you guys have an extra tour merch please pm me I may be interested in buying if you dont overprice. Thanks a ton Columbus for not being a dickhead. I cant wait til they come around again. It definitely wont be a show I miss. I loved the way Maynard teased the crowd by saying "Goodbye" and then "I double dog dare you to leave". That was great. Wings/10kdays was the highlight for me. After all the head banging it was nice to just sit back and enjoy the beauty that is Wings/10kdays. Danny is fucking great. Even my gf who knows nothing of good drumming looked at me and said "Damn their drummer is awesome". It was pretty cool when Justin lit up his lighter and the whole arena just glowed with Fire. It was great.

One more thing, I was hoping for a little different show than the others because it was Maynards home state. I was hoping for "Jimmy" (Under a dead Ohio sky) or perhaps Right In Two. Pushit would have been great too. But overrall this was fucking awesome. Thank you Tool for a great show. I was also kinda hoping that Maynard would be all painted or do something crazy like i see in pics from past concerts but the dog thing was funny.

I LOVED IT.

Last edited by HookerWithPenis; 09-22-2006 at 05:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #73
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid.rover View Post
Did he have a fake mohawk, cowboy boots and glasses on?
Ya , I think he was on crazy drugs and never saw Tool before. I think he was an Isis fan.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #74
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan#72 View Post
And by the way......... Steller performance by tool.......... Needed to Add that !
Oh, I know that you were there. Cheater.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool user View Post
Show started off great. Then put me to sleep. People don't know the slow songs off the new disc because they are not good songs. Best songs were 46 and 2 and Aenema. Thanks for playing Maynard. I think Tool made some new fans.

Did anybody else get pissed about the beer cut off?

Why did they stop selling beer at 930? The band had only been on for 20 mins.

One drink per person. No wonder Columbus Bluejackets have a tough time selling tickets to the hockey games. Fuck Nationwide I say....not on my side.

I walked up to a informed looking person with a walkie talkie and asked him why they stopped selling beer so soon. He said and I quote..."Management doesn't know much about this band but from the looks of the crowd they don't wanna take any chances on people getting drunk and causing a riot or troubles."

$64 for the ticket. $38 for a concert t shirt, $70 for a hoodie. What the hell is the world coming to? Got a 10,000 days bootleg shirt outside for $10. Looks great.

I heard they are coming to Dayton Nutter Center in the spring. C ya there!
You just don't get it? Do you?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #76
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

This concert was completely and utterly flawless. There were no mistakes whatsoever, ( which I would hoped there wouldn't be, hence: It's their own music ). I purchased row 117 X Seat: 3A. I had just the right amount of distance from the stage to see everything without it being a blurr, and as well, becoming momentarily def for about a day. I enjoyed having everybody stick up their lighters during Wings For Marie, and also when they took a short break and Justin whipped his out as well. I also enjoyed the lasers very much, bouncing off of mirror to mirror, and so on.

Dispite the smell of drugs all around me, the show was great, and I would feel great if I had to see it again. Take care.

-Andrew
Old 09-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping2black View Post
What is the answer to Maynard's little brainteaser he said at the beginning of the show?

This was my first time to see Tool live, and all I have to say is wow.... I've been to a lot of different concerts, but man, this took the cake so to speak.

"See you in Cleveland, Peace....Out!" Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey...Aenima.

I was in Section 107, Row P, Seats 15 and 16 and I thought the sound was pretty damn good. Dylannator, I'm pretty sure you were the one with the weed man, thanks for sharing, cool as hell.
Nah, that was my brother. He was the older one I was the 14 year old dude. Yeah I'll tell him you said thanks. That was my brother's and I's first TOOL concert. One of the best I've ever been to. Them and Dream Theater where the highlight of this year's tours I went to.

P.S. Yeah I agree with you, we needed an Indy show this year rather than the 3 1/2 hour drive to Columbus, however spending then night in town and missing 1/2 a day of school did kickass considering all my friends where jealous as hell because I went to the concert. And they could smell the weed on my shirt. Oh did you guys notice the chick behind us 'chasing butterflies'

Last edited by dylannator; 09-22-2006 at 06:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #78
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

section 105, row B, seat 1

Wow, second time seeing Tool and again it was amazing!!! my wife's 1st Tool show and she was blown away as well. i thought the guitars were a little muddy sounding early on but they fixed it after a few songs.

highlights were Rosetta Stoned (Holy Fucking Shit!!!), Wings/10,000 Days (gave me chills), Lateralus (Epic), Vicarious (much better live than i even expected), and Aenima (power at the highest level).

only complint was the jackass behind me playing air guitar with one hand and air drums with the other (niether were even close) who kept yelling "woooooo, this is Columbus Ohio right here". thanks dickweed, saved me a mapquest.

the rest of you were great to be around, thanks to all who helped make it a great night!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #79
Level 3 - Talker

Here we go. Let me first off explain that I have listened to Tool every single day since I was blessed to be introduced. This was my 5th show, and possibly the best. For all of those complaining about the visuals, you are gay, nuff said. The storm clouds in the lasers were incredible, and the images for rosetta stoned and 10,000 days were unbelievable. I was the guy in 114 wearing the LAPD shirt, glowing bracelets, and the hottest girl in the arena. Did anyone else notice how different Justin's Bass sounds from the album? In 46+2 the bass almost sounded like a funky slap bass feel, and in 10,000 days it was extremely percussive. Nothing like the album at all, these songs were meant to be played live. The white stage in the most brilliant thing ever concieved. It added a very positive bad ass feeling associated with 10,000 days the album. Anyone that says the songs off 10,000 days aren't as good obviously aren't musicians, and obviously have not taken the time needed to study and develop an educated opinion of them. At first I was disappointed that they are not playing anything from Opiate/Undertow, but now I completely understand, and would not have it any other way. The whole cowboy dance after pointing to Adam during Jambi was hilarious, and the stage antics for Rosetta made the song 100% better if that is even possible. It was as if he had a story to tell and created the "picture this if you will" theme perfectly. The only thing I could complain about would be the crowd going crazy for schism, the most commercial song ever. BUT, I was proven wrong when they busted out the double time part. Danny Carey is my god. Maynard seemed to be in a good mood, and Justin ROCKED THE FUCK OUT! especially during Aenima. Adam seemed to improvise some of his solos like only a guitar player with extreme finesse can do. Maynard had an incredible scream during Stinkfist, which left me mindfucked and convinced he was feeling better. The crowd was incredible, except for all the ******s leaving for Wings, do they not understand how intense, vital and original that production is? Maynard was right, i will see you in Cleveland, and I can't wait. The best part about this tour is that it seems more like a band rocking out then a whole staged producion. A+++++++++++++++
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #80

Bincount™: 3

This was my first time seeing Tool live. I was pretty much freaking out about it all day. The show was amazing. It was almost like listening to the CD. The visuals were 10 times better than what I expected. Probably one of the best concerts if not THE best concert I will ever see. I couldn't even tell Maynard was sick. And Justin was CRAZY. I felt him the most. Great show.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: