opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 21
Re: 2006/10/06 - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTool View Post
When he walked onto the stage he said "Jersey! How YOU doin?" and the crowd cheered. He said it once more during the show.
not to be a prick, but he said "how you fuckin' doin'?"

my 5th tool show, way better than lateralus tours... was in section 109, last row....

someone already mentioned how maynard's voice cracked on pot intro, also noteworthy that adam's playing could have been a little cleaner for that one riff in the song (3:11 on the studio track)

anyone in the last 2 rows of the section know the other entertaining part of the show.... some people experience tool in their own special way, is all im gonna say.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

4th show for me, but best seats imaginable!!! sec 8, row A, front row center stage, and i didnt even know it till i got there (the dumbass at ticketmaster must have shown me the wrong seating chart), what a nice surprise! i'm used to getting the nosebleeds for most shows. i couldnt really take the noise for isis from where i was with a million speakers blowing right in my face & no earplugs, but tool was perfect, although unless he was singing loud, i couldnt really hear MJK enough, also would have been nice if he wasnt all the way in the back. the beltbuckle & cowboy hat were a nice touch along with that ridiculous mohawk...i still miss the days of him imitating the blue man group, but any which way you slice it, best show ever bc of the seats (not that i ever sat of course). neck is sore, voice is gone, but who cares? so adam is always like that on stage huh? i found it odd since everybody else was so into it, i figured he was either really focused, stoned, or bored, hoping it wasn't the latter :P setlist was great, although i could have done w/o rosetta stoned & heard some more classics but i figured they'd play most of the new album like on the last tour. the lasers were pretty sweet from where i was even if i couldnt see the pattern w/o turning around. i'll be having some afterglow for awhile after this! now i gotta try to find some pics of the show

Last edited by pzuzu; 10-07-2006 at 12:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Okay I have been to the Tower in Philly, Camden, Wilkes Barre and this show. This was by far the best sounding concert of all of them and Maynard was more into it then any of the shows I have seen this year. The acoustics in this place absolutely rock.

Camden had the best tailgating East Rutherford had the best sound quality.

I was dead center 15th row at Camden and I was lower level seating right center at the Arena in East Rutherford and the sound was crystal clear. Best show Ive seen by far even though I was further back.

Finally he said Cleveland and not Pittsburgh I am 100% sure lay off the drugs dude.

Also the crowd in NJ was very diverse and way more into it I loved it.

I actually liked the fact that some people sat down during the show even though I did not it just showed how comfortable they felt listening to the music as if they were listening to the album at home just meditating. Theres no reason to criticize them for it. To me that just shows how powerful the band is to ones senses.

Last edited by Strife21; 10-07-2006 at 01:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

I had an excellent time.

- Isis sounded like mud but I actually enjoyed their dark mood.
- I've seen TOOL 3 times before this and it wasn't their best sound. The guitars were more treble-y than usual and the drums didn't have the same definition. I think this is all more a function of the venue and possibly my location.
- Maynard had a lot more off moments than other shows (1st verse of first song, the pot) but he more than made up for it with the heavy moments.
- Didn't realize how many people still bring lighters to a show...I suppose it's for the smoking.
- Great crowd for the most part. There were a few couples on dates behind us talking loudly to get to know each other. I felt that a TOOL concert is probably not the place for that since tool's fans do value the experience so much. THere was a LOT of smoke around me. Otherwise the audience was attentive, respectful, and appropriately energetic.
- the light show and stage projections were PHENOMENAL. They're setting a new higher standard for the visuals at a rock concert.
- highlight for me was the entire Wings segment.

Can't wait to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL fucking rocked last night and im bout to leave to see them again tonite at nassau. I saw them once before at nassau back in 2002 on halloween i must say i thought the lateralus stage set up was better since they had 2 large screens which they didnt have at continental but who cares its tool and danny completely owned last night he stole the show in my opinion what a god!

Last edited by daha33; 10-07-2006 at 02:24 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the first time seeing them for both my son and myself. The setlist was excellent, and the performance was note for note perfect.

Looking at it from over 20 years as a live production guy, there were a few things that really stood out...

I really HATE these new Line Array sound systems. I see where they make life a lot easier for the crew, but they have no warmth to them. Sound guys will always disagree, because they can dial-in the system on a computer to make a perfect readout on the computer screen. But no matter where I sit in an arena, the sound is missing the strong midrange that really fills out the sound. Arrays are great at heavy bottom-end, and crispy high-end, but the stuff in the middle (the warmth) don't exist. I suppose that since most current concertgoers wouldn't know the difference between a good Trap cabinet or Line Array, this is never going to change.

Every sound guy I know says "Mine don't sound like that". Yes they do...

The band obviously spent a bunch of money on the sound system for this tour, but it almost sounded like the system was "Clipping" from my seat. Doesn't matter, though, because I was probably the only 1 out of 16,000 that heard it that way.

Lighting was decent for what he was given to work with. Yes, the video projection was cool, and nice job on the content, but it would've made a stronger statement if the back wall was 1 section higher. It wouldn't have hurt to have thrown another 40 intelligent lights up & used them with some patterns. The lasers were old after the Wings for Marie segment. The good thing for them is that this set-up must be economical for transport since there's not much to the rig. The big LED washes were a beautiful thing, though.

I realize from experience that it's real easy when you're on the road to forget that your audience that night is really looking forward to seeing you. When you play every night, each arena feels exactly the same so it becomes really familiar and unspecial. Bands don't owe the audience anything, but it would be nice if we felt like the performers were looking forward to playing. If we're not going to see them for another 2 or 5 years, it would've been nice to actually see them having fun.

It's not a bad thing to be a rock star. When you work hard for it & it actually happens, there's nothing to be ashamed of. It's ok to have a big ego when you can get 10,000 people fire up their lighters on cue!

What I mentioned were small issues. Overall we loved the show & hope they come around again before this tour is done. Once the drunk asshole behind us finally passed out 2 songs into the set, we really enjoyed ourselves.

Best of luck in Europe after the break...

~Parcans~

Last edited by Parcans; 10-07-2006 at 05:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

One more thing...

We thought Isis were a good opener. I may be wrong but I believe that the bass player for Isis was Justin's bass Tech. I also think that it was Justin that joined them onstage for the last song also.

I could be wrong on both accounts, though.

We look forward to hearing more from them either way...

~Parcans~
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

3rd tool show, and this was the pinnacle for me. the crowd reaction after lateralus gave me goosebumps, but more so the song itself. i saw them in camden the week before, it was worth the drive, and this show was awesome as well. quick sidebar, u tool fans can chime in. but in the middle of stinkfist, these 2 immense people, guy and girl, went past us, and met up with the 2 people seated next to us. apparently they hadnt seen each other in 2 years. nonetheless, they didnt have seats, they were just standing there, pretty much in my and my girlfriends way. the chick stepped on my foot like twice during the pot, and they were immense people so i could barely move or breathe. so i voiced my displeasure aftr the pot was over, and the girl said ok we'll move but u dont have to be a dick, she was all condescending and shit. im sorry, but i fucking LOVE tool, and im not going to have some fat fucks ruin my time. no, u werent just there to say a quick hello to ur friends, if it wasnt for me saying something u would have stayed there the whole show, and my foot would have been flatter than a pancake. not to mention, who meets up with people during the middle of a concert, taking up room in a tight seat situation? pleaassse, im glad i told you to fuck off, because i had plenty of space to headbang the rest of the show. i paid for my good seats, and they were good seats, so i wasnt going to have that ruined by somebody. but nonetheless, thank u for ALMOST ruining my ability to see my favorite band. hope u enjoyed the show and the 20 hot dogs im sure u jammed down your throat. nonetheless, it was amusing to me in the end. thank you tool for enriching my life once more. i hope they tour again in the spring. peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuphat View Post
No, man. In Camden he said Pittsburgh was louder...waited, then said Cleveland was louder. Last night he only said Pittsburgh.
last night was my 1st show and it was great. and unless we are all insane the dude said cleveland. not pittsburgh, not kalamazoo, not sioux city...just cleveland
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolsample View Post
last night was my 1st show and it was great. and unless we are all insane the dude said cleveland. not pittsburgh, not kalamazoo, not sioux city...just cleveland
Im glad you posted this because the guy who said this needs to open his ears. Its over he was high or drunk or something but he wasnt listening.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #51
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13

Parcans,

Your commentary was very informative. Maybe they should hire you. I thought the overall sound quality was impressive, but I guess there is always room for improvement.

I may be in the minority here, but I liked the size of the back wall screens. I think they made the band members (especially Maynard) appear larger and be more of the focus of the show. The people on the floor would probably disagree with me since the screens were difficult to see from their perspective.

Last edited by dice5199; 10-07-2006 at 08:26 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

good fucking show...
hard to say which show was better, Camden or Meadowlands.
but I would have to say Camden just because of the rain factor.
section 128, not the floor, but was sitting directly across from the stage. the sound was good from where I was sitting, and the visuals were amazing also.
Everytime I see Tool show and watch Danny play, I'm just speechless. genius... just pure genius...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

my first show and i was blown away. i managed to get a floor ticket (section 4) so my view was amazing, and the crowd around me was really great. Even the drunks were bein relaxed and friendly. I was wearing the gold Imperial shirt.

Maynard: "Jersey, how the fuck you doin?" (opening the show and ending the show)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

My first Tool show, and honestly, I still can't fully gather my thoughts together. It was phenomenal. My dad and I were seated in Section 120, Row 4, so the sound was fuckin' loud. I was the guy with glasses in a 10,000 Days shirt, if anyone cares.

Isis were pretty damn good, I thought. Not on Tool's level, but good in their own right. Might buy a CD of their's at some point.

The entire setlist was great, with the highlight for me being Wings/10,000 Days and the encore. Really, both the visuals during the encore and the literal ROAR of the crowd towards the end (coupled with the sea of lighters) is something that can't be described. You just need to experience it.

It was also really great to hear Forty Six & 2 and Stinkfist live, as they're both favorites of mine. The double-time section of Schism was pretty awesome as well.

Overall, it was just a fantastic show, and if they really are doing another tour in the spring, I'll be sure to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

1. Stinkfist
2. The Pot
3. 46&2
4. Jambi
5. Schism
6. Lost Keys
7. Rosetta Stoned
8. Wings Pt 1
9. Wings Pt 2
10. Lateralus
11. Vicarious
12. Aenima

Another fucking amazing TOOL show!! Same setlist as previous. This was my 2nd. one on this tour, and 2nd. one this week. Fucking incredible! I got to see them on October 2nd in Wilkes-Barre. That was a pretty awesome show but the sound was distorted from where we were at. I thought we had great seats, good view and all but the sound sucked. I was disappointed Maynard wasn't more talkative at Wilkes-Barre but it was great to hear him talk more here.

Thanks to Gary he hooked us up with some awesome seats for this show in section 215, row 12. It was definitely the best view i have ever gotten, better than Wilkes-Barre. Perfect side view of everybody. Adam first, then Maynard, Danny, & Justin on the far end. It was incredible to get to see them at this angle and my eye was on Danny most of the night. He blew me away.

Event Staff were a bunch of pricks. We kept constantly seeing flashlights being shined up towards us and then every time they walked up to tell someone to put their cigarettes out, they would walk back down and as soon as they got to the bottom someone else would light up and they would be right back up as soon as they got to the bottom....that was pretty frustrating. Someone else got pissed and flicked their cigarette at the dude when we was on his way back down, that was hilarious. What a douchebag, he didn't even notice it.

Other than that, great show, awesome light show and all. This has to be my favorite TOOL show ever now. Great seats, excellent sound quality from where we were at, and i liked how the arena had the screens at all 4 corners too for the visuals.

46&2 is probably my favorite out of the selection because Danny just is fucking incredible. Also Lateralus, The Pot, Aenima, & Wings 1 & 2 are all favorites of mine as well. Excellent show, can't wait to catch it again in the Spring!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #56
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcans View Post

The band obviously spent a bunch of money on the sound system for this tour, but it almost sounded like the system was "Clipping" from my seat. Doesn't matter, though, because I was probably the only 1 out of 16,000 that heard it that way.

~Parcans~
Where were you sitting? I was in 109 row 12 and would have to agree with you, it was worst on the vocals and got pretty annoying at times.

Also anyone know what isis played, I though the first two songs were pretty generic but the 3rd kicked ass and the 4th had some real nice atmospherics.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #57

Bincount™: 12

I got floor tickets for this show. Section 5 row H. To the guy in the King Diamond jacket a few rows ahead of me: it was pretty cool seeing you so into the songs and knowing all the lyrics.

Isis was 10 times better at this show than at Camden. Dont know if it was the EQ or the setlist, but they were much more bearable. Could still do without the screaming and motions. Damn shame I didnt notice Justin head up to join them.

Tool was mixed a lot better as well. Still missing a bit of definition on the drums and bass, but at least it wasnt only treble. For some reason the side screens were only on for The Pot, Schism, and the encore. Maynard seemed more into it, even dancing and swinging his cowboy hat over his head during the heavy part in Jambi.
Danny was spot-on as usual. Adam doing his thing, and Justin was really into it.

"Jersey. How ya fuckin doin?"

Stinkfist was great, much better than at Camden. The crowd still gets confused for the extended part haha. The Pot and Forty Six & 2 got the crowd going. Adam had a sweet synth intro into Forty Six & 2.

A bunch of tools decided to rush into our section and row, ruining most of Jambi. Security was a bitch too, but at least they got the guy who was standing right in front of me blocking my view. They caught a taper mid-way into the show (it was a video-taper too, damn).

Seems like the slow jam before Schism could possibly be some new material? It was funny seeing Adam strum off time for a part of it. Of course the double-time section in Schism was sweet, and was a suprise for everyone around me.

LK/Rosetta Stoned was pretty much spot on compared to the studio track (sans the voice overdub, of course). Danny was doing some cool synth thing in Lost Keys.

Wings pt 1 & 2 was spectacular. Much better than Camden. Everyone around me was into it and in awe of the laser/fog clouds. No one was talking (which was a change from Camden). Some guy was screaming "stand up" referring to Justin on the stool. What a tool.

Group hug, lighters, chill moment.

"Cleveland was louder...[crowd goes nuts]...WAS louder....not anymore.

JERSEY! How ya fuckin doin?

Dont listen to me, Im on acid......sorry, antacid. Stomach problems."

Lateralus was so amazing. Everyone was digging the visuals.

Ambient intro to Vicarious as usual. Justins solo was great.

"New York tomorrow. Thank you very much!- whats done is done - peace out!"

Everyone in the arena went nuts and sang along to Ænema.

What a show, almost as much energy as the Tower Theatre show, but this was the tightest so far this year. City Center had more crowd-singing, but Id say this show was a little better.

As soon as Tool walked off, I made my way to the stage. I asked a roadie for Adam's setlist (which was taped on the floor right next to his pedalboard), but the roadie was too lazy to go get it. He gave me one of Adam's picks though! Sweet as hell.

My friend and I then waited outside the tour buses for almost an hour. Either the band was already on the buses, still in the venue, in other buses parked under the arena, or the tour crew was telling the truth. They said the band took a limo to the airport and flew to New York.

If they had changed the setlist, this would have been my favorite show. Otherwise, Tower Theatre was a little better. Still a 9/10.

Peace the FUCK out!
Atlanta, GA - 7/27/09 | Fairfax, VA - 7/30/09
All Points West, NJ - 8/01/09
Kansas City, MO - 6/25/10 | St. Louis, MO - 6/26/10
Sacramento, CA - 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was amazing, to have a whole stage be a screen for the videos and stuff is so awsome, i drove all the way from Miami Florida to see this show. it was a 22 hour drive and well worth it. i would have to disagree about Maynard being off in the vocals department, they always change the way songs are played when you see them live, those little changes in the songs lets you know you are listening to it LIVE. the way the just rocked out in shisim was so unexpected and badass. i did wish for one song the was not on the original set list, but what can you do. i saw them back on the laterlus tour and they played ticks and leaches, since it was the last time the opening band they had was going to be on tour with them and that ruled.
But all and all that was a wonderful concert the guitar was so loud you could not help but rock out and justin was so in to all the songs and Maynard was well Maynard, animated, very brief and funny( he did say cleavland was louder, but im pretty sure after that we were louder). at the end they all huddle up and the take a bow and it was over
TOOL THE BEST FUCKING ROCK BAND EVER DON'T LISTEN TO ANYBODY ELSE THAT SAY ANY DIFFERENT!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Simply amazing I thought they were better then the 2 times i saw them outside in Mass and NH. it couldnt get any better than idk about 15-18,000 people screamin. Danny was fucken amazing so overall the show was good couldnt forget these though
"Cleveland was louder",
"Sorry, I'm on acid"
"Ant-acid that is. I've been having some stomach problems"

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
10/6/06- Continental Arena, NJ
7/14/07- Times Union Center, NY
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalagula View Post
I got tickets in section 120 row 10 this afternoon. This was my 4th tool show and the best one. The sound from where i was sitting was very clear and maynard's vocals were easy to hear and well balanced with the rest of the mix. Visuals were sick. WINGS/10,000 DAYS!! I was a little upset to see so many people around me sitting down but w/e. I'm tired my throat hurts and ill see ya later today at NASSAU COLISEUM!!
Dear ABA: I was the geezer with the gray hair sitting next to you with my 3 sons in section 120 row 10.....The seats were phenomenal as was the show...there were an awful lot of people sitting down there,but i'm proud to say at 44, I wasn't one of them!! Tool are without exception the greatest touring act on planet earth right now...Rock on!!! : }
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Are you sure you were at the right show? think about it, just about everyone on this site is saying Cleveland and your the only one saying Pittsburgh......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuphat View Post
People, please....He said Pittsburgh was louder. Until tonight, not Cleveland.

BTW: anyone else catch Justin come out for the last ISIS song?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 AM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

My 3 rd Tool show and arguably the best! I saw the Lateralus tour in NJ last time around and was blown away by the self eating snake graphics. They had it again on the back screen breifly if you caught it in time. Someone thought danny was throwing frisbees into the audience;;;they were actually autographed drum heads with his trademark purple sharpie signature. And Maynard did say Cleveland was louder-end of discussion-case closed!!Anyway, if you missed the show, you're probably not reading this-if you made the show, you witnessed the greatest touring act on planet earth without exception. I'm 44(arrghhh!)but the band members are pretty close to my age. I grew up listening to Yes, King Crimson, ELP,Floyd-like most others from my era. These acts set the stage for Tool as the band members will readily admit. I've also seen those acts in concert. These boys hang right there with them musically=only floyd might eclipse them visually. Rock on for years to come boys.you are this generations only real ass kicking band for sure!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaringJunky View Post
Where were you sitting? I was in 109 row 12 and would have to agree with you, it was worst on the vocals and got pretty annoying at times.

Also anyone know what isis played, I though the first two songs were pretty generic but the 3rd kicked ass and the 4th had some real nice atmospherics.

Well, the last thing I would want to do is throw a fellow production guy under the bus, so let me preface this by saying that I thought the A1 did an excellent job under the circumstances. That arena isn't the greatest place to mix in.

I was in section 122, about halfway up. There was a set of arrays aiming our way, so that set was what we were hearing.

The lack of "fullness" to the sound is more inherent in the design of the Line Array speaker system, and not something overlooked by a mixing engineer. The highs getting too loud, however, can sometimes be contributed to frequencies that Engineer has lost over the years if he doesn't wear some kind of hearing protection.

Still, it was a GREAT show. No matter what the show looks like, it's ultimately about the music, not the packaging or presentation of it. Tool played a great set, and I appreciate the hard work they all put in to bring us the show.

Enjoy the time off. Nothing like getting home after a long run of shows!

~Parcans~
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

I know this is a bit late, but I needed some time to compile my thoughts.

JUST FUCKING GREAT............................................. .

I saw them a few times.

Lollapalooza in 99, Was way to tired and stoned at that point of the show.

Lat tour Halloween 2001. Tripping my head off on shrooms.......along with really bad seats. (Left of the stage where the band walks up to the stage.) The Speaker Stack was blocking Adam during this show and I was unable to see the visuals....:(

This show....... Sec 124 row 19 perfect angle to the stage and the sound was the best I have ever heard in a larger venue. I thought the band was so tight and dead on which made the experience even better. You never want to see a band mess their own material up.

My legs were killing me and I was not even jumping around. I think I thought I was Maynard with my movements.

Yes I was stoned for this show, but was not tired.

What made this show even better was that SEC 124 Row 19 seat 3 & 4 were not used or purchased by anyone. So I had three seats to stand up and really spread out.

Now back to the music. Forty-six & two was sick. I play it on my guitar and I know how it feels when you get to curtain parts of that song. So when I was watching them perform one of the top 5 songs that TOOL has ever composed I was in complete awe.

Maynard seemed to be into the crowd. He seems to really connect with the crowd. At some parts of the show it actually looked like he was having FUN....
Not sure if he was like at any other shows.

Well I wish I was able to make the Long Island show, but I had a stupid Wedding to attend.

BTW the couple that occupied SEAT 1 & 2 was about 50 years old. I thought it was great. The guy was the one that loved TOOL and he dragged his WIFE or Girl Friend to the show. He loved life.

Looking forward to SPRING of 2007. I want to record the next show.

I need something to preserve the essense of a LIVE TOOL show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

first tool experience, sat side stage so i missed many of the back screen images, but the stage images blew my mind. cant wait for them to come back, probably one of hte greatest concert experiences ive ever had. maynard is a perfomance god amongst men.

cool to see justin rock with ISIS, whowere better than i expected
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #66
Level 2 - Poster

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! This was my boyfriends first Tool concert (he was impressed of course), my second since Halloween 01 & I have to say I was blown away AGAIN.

Before I sat down, I met Alex Grey, the artist for most of their album/tour/merchandise art. Him & his wife are really nice. I went to CoSM back in April for a listening party & explaination of his work. AMAZING. Everyone was looking at me like I was nuts for going up to Grey haired guy and started a conversation.

We started out next to the stage where the bands exit and enter, Section 110 row 2 but the crew told us if we wanted we could move to 112 row 2, which was even better. We moved mainly because of bad visual (speakers in the way) &the seats are wireds tied together and your practically hugging your neighbor. We listened to some of ISIS when Justin came out before we moved. I personally think there are too many people for them to sound more clear and organized. Other than that, they are decent. I don't regret moving because we got a better sound, visual of the screens, Maynards swinging & the lights.

There was this baldheaded guy standing next to my boyfriend that looked kinda like Maynard & was so blasted that he was on the playful role, shaking his hand & patting him on the shoulder for letting him take cover next to us while standing on the steps. We found him amusing.

I had an extra pair of tickets for Section 126 & couldn't find anyone to give them to for FREE outside. Guess everyone thought I was up to something...

Once the band came out, everyone from the seats we had kept moving back & forth to the comp'd ones. That & the cigarette smoke were the only two things that bothered me AND the fact that the ignorant fans that don't know Wings/10k Days is ONE song dedicated to Maynards mother & were going for beer/bathroom runs like it was an intermission. That & Ænema were what I really looked forward to & they made my skin crawl with excitement. I can't pick a favorite because the whole show was BANANAS.

I regret not purchasing NY tix considering I live here, but hopefully they extend it & do somemore shows when they come back from Europe. if not I'll have to wait for another album, like waiting for the Olympics...
Old 10-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

THE WORST CONCERT I'VE EVER SEEN

That got your attention, didn't it :) For all you metalhead juiced up testosterone driven "dudes", I am kidding.

I've seen Tool a whole bunch a times, and this is arguably the best so far. Things got off to a bit of a slow start; the band came and did their job, indicative of being on the road for a long time and having this be close to the end. However, once warmed up, they proceeded to kill...... The longer ambient passages bathed in a lotsa darkness (which I happen to also love) were restricted to 10k days pts. 1 & 2. Beyond that, every #$%%^ song ripped razor sharp, loud and charging. This was a heavy rock show, where even the middle guitar drone portion of Schism was given a tune up, three plus tempos and done as an explosive speed metal before returning back to the original version. And all four of them could actually be SEEN this time around. Maynard, though still choosing to twist and turn in his version of an acid laced modern dancer after a bottle of Jack Daniels induced with hallucinagenic mushrooms in a wind tunnel was set against the backdrop, you could still make him out. A welcome return after having been subjected to Maynard shadow puppetry/dancing behind a scrim during the last Perfect Circle tour.

I think if some people didn't think they were too weird or dark, they may well be considered the greatest band out there. This is the only show where I am doing eye ping pong bak and forth, watching all the members doing their stuff. Rhythmically, stylistically, technically they are untouchable. I've listened a millioin times and I still can't count some of those time signatures.

Buying the CD's and seeing the concerts is worth every cent.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

seriously i think i saw the hottest chick ever & she was rocking out to tool. i was sitting in section 128 and she was sitting in the 2nd or third row on the floor wearing army pants , blonde. i think im in love.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 AM   #69

Bincount™: 2

Show was awesome. My 7th show, and they keep getting better. I just wish it was a little longer. I also wish they played Pushit. Not the slow version, the regular, album version. Nobosy likes the slow version
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #70

Bincount™: 2

Speaking of Pushit, does anybody know what Maynard says approx 3:45 into the song?

Slipping back into the gap again
I'm alive when you're touching me
Alive when you're shoving me
Down
But I'd trade it all, for just a little
Piece of mind
Pushit on me
Pushit on me
Pushit on me
Pushit on me
You're pushing,
Shoving,
Scrambling,
****BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH*****

What the hell is this line? I'ts nowhere in any of the lyrics I can find
Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #71

Bincount™: 12

Keep my feet back on the ground.
Atlanta, GA - 7/27/09 | Fairfax, VA - 7/30/09
All Points West, NJ - 8/01/09
Kansas City, MO - 6/25/10 | St. Louis, MO - 6/26/10
Sacramento, CA - 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by There is no spoon View Post
Show was awesome. My 7th show, and they keep getting better. I just wish it was a little longer. I also wish they played Pushit. Not the slow version, the regular, album version. Nobosy likes the slow version
the slow version off salival is awsome the drum beats are so rythmic and the way it comes to an end with the vocals amazing i would have to disagree with you that no one likes the slow version they are both wonderful songs!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolNation View Post
seriously i think i saw the hottest chick ever & she was rocking out to tool. i was sitting in section 128 and she was sitting in the 2nd or third row on the floor wearing army pants , blonde. i think im in love.
I saw Maynard leave with this chick too...lucky guy!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 04:54 AM   #74
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcans View Post
Well, the last thing I would want to do is throw a fellow production guy under the bus, so let me preface this by saying that I thought the A1 did an excellent job under the circumstances. That arena isn't the greatest place to mix in.

I was in section 122, about halfway up. There was a set of arrays aiming our way, so that set was what we were hearing.

The lack of "fullness" to the sound is more inherent in the design of the Line Array speaker system, and not something overlooked by a mixing engineer. The highs getting too loud, however, can sometimes be contributed to frequencies that Engineer has lost over the years if he doesn't wear some kind of hearing protection.

Still, it was a GREAT show. No matter what the show looks like, it's ultimately about the music, not the packaging or presentation of it. Tool played a great set, and I appreciate the hard work they all put in to bring us the show.

Enjoy the time off. Nothing like getting home after a long run of shows!

~Parcans~
Thanks for all of your wonderful insight. Its really great to know more about the way the system works. Also like you I LOVED the show, I thought Tool was on top of their game and performed a top notch show. I guess that since this was my first show, I had too high expectations about the sound. Since it always sounds so sharp and perfect on the record I was expecting the same in a live setting, which is not all that realistic to expect. I would certainly like to go again, and I look forward to future tours.
Thanks again for your expert insight, I appreciate it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaringJunky View Post
Thanks for all of your wonderful insight. Its really great to know more about the way the system works. Also like you I LOVED the show, I thought Tool was on top of their game and performed a top notch show. I guess that since this was my first show, I had too high expectations about the sound. Since it always sounds so sharp and perfect on the record I was expecting the same in a live setting, which is not all that realistic to expect. I would certainly like to go again, and I look forward to future tours.
Thanks again for your expert insight, I appreciate it.
You're welcome SJ.

Really all that matters is that you enjoyed the experience, which it seems we all did. What stuck with me this week were the musical highlights, not the minor technical nitpicking that I'm guilty of. I can still hear the stops in "Stinkfist" like they played it for me 5 minutes ago...

{I'll}

====={Keep}

========{Digging}

('Till I}

==={Feel}

======{Something}

So as far as all are concerned, mission accomplished...
The fans got to see the band live, the roadcrew was employed for a few months, the Union Stagehands put some hours in, the production rental houses made some dough on the equipment rentals, the bus charter companies can pay the leases this month, and best of all, TOOL made a shitload of cash to carry them for the next 5 years!

As long as they keep making records, I'll keep supporting them.

Heading to the same venue Friday 10/13 to see the Iron Maiden show. Should be interesting, as they're quite a departure from what we just experienced last week!

~Parcans~

BTW it's been a great week. Between Tool and Iron Maiden, MANCHESTER UNITED took over the lead in the Premiership!

Last edited by Parcans; 10-12-2006 at 02:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #76
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my first Tool show, and what a ride it was. I took a bus from Boston into Manhattan, from there I was going to take the shuttle from the port authority into the arena. The problem I had was that the fucking bus, which left at 2 pm, took 6 and a half hours to get to the terminal. By the time I was off it, there were no more shuttles, which took a lot of sprinting up and down the area to discover. So I dropped 60 bucks on a cab, and I walked into the arena literally right as Tool came on stage.

The show was incredible. I was on the floor, right next to the soundboard, so the mix I heard was fucking perfect. I was kind of disappointed by the view, especially now after I've seen videos and pictures of the video projections on the stage floor, but I was positioned perfectly for the laser show. The laser-illuminated thunderclouds that formed when they began 10,000 days were right above us down there...just out of arm's reach. It was wild. As for the band, they were spot on. Justin and Adam were sick as hell...I couldn't believe how badass Jambi was. I always found that song rather boring, but seeing Adam roar through that talkbox solo live was one of the high points of the whole show. Also Rosetta Stoned. I loved that song already, and seeing it live just made me appreciate it even more. They nailed every part of it, too. Also Schism, the double-time bridge...and Stinkfist, and 46 & 2, and The Pot...The way they close these shows, though, is what I can't get over, from the lasers in 10,000 days to sitting on the stage as 10,000 lighters illuminate the arena to melting everyone's face off with Vicarious, Lateralus, and Aenema.

How can one band be so good?

What an experience. Also a big thanks to Mayfair for hooking me up with my ticket. Thanks again bro!

Last edited by elevation; 10-12-2006 at 03:10 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #77
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, it was worth flying all the way down from Alaska to see.

I'm inspired. :)

Hope you guys can make the trip up here to perform in AK next summer.

Peace fuckin' out!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: