Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-25-2006, 02:46 PM

I left the 10k days case on my coffee table, and went outside to water the garden. The next thing I knew, I smelled smoke. I went inside to be greeted by a blazing coffee table! My only guess is that the sun hit the lenses just right, and set fire to the newspaper that was sitting right next to it. I had nothing else even remotely flammable anywhere near the table. Now, my sofa is burned to shit, my TV is melted (good riddance) and about 300 my CDs/DVDS are little more than smelly plastic. My landlord wants to evict me! What the hell were they thinking? Can I sue?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062
Warning: Potential fire hazard

I left the 10k days case on my coffee table, and went outside to water the garden. The next thing I knew, I smelled smoke. I went inside to be greeted by a blazing coffee table! My only guess is that the sun hit the lenses just right, and set fire to the newspaper that was sitting right next to it. I had nothing else even remotely flammable anywhere near the table. Now, my sofa is burned to shit, my TV is melted (good riddance) and about 300 my CDs/DVDS are little more than smelly plastic. My landlord wants to evict me! What the hell were they thinking? Can I sue?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
kether4602's Avatar kether4602
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM

LOL
Old 05-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12
Re: Warning: Potential fire hazard

LOL
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM

I think it is a personal responsibility thing myself. You basically left a magnifying glass there. Hey, a pair of eyeglasses would have done the same thing.

That really sucks though. I am sorry to hear about that. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

I think it is a personal responsibility thing myself. You basically left a magnifying glass there. Hey, a pair of eyeglasses would have done the same thing.

That really sucks though. I am sorry to hear about that. Hope all goes well for you.
05-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Yeah man, it really sucks. I cant get the smell of smoke out of my curtains either. Not to mention, I had a bag of some primo ganja in the coffee table drawer.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #4

Yeah man, it really sucks. I cant get the smell of smoke out of my curtains either. Not to mention, I had a bag of some primo ganja in the coffee table drawer.
05-26-2006, 01:15 AM

You didn't take heed of the warning! Those lenses are deadly!

Was the answer to the puzzle left lying in the ashes (say yes)? ;)
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
zol

Bincount™: 2

You didn't take heed of the warning! Those lenses are deadly!

Was the answer to the puzzle left lying in the ashes (say yes)? ;)
05-26-2006, 09:16 AM

As a matter of fact - YES!

the shape of the ashes spelled out a message, (for those who choose to read it) and a WARNING (for those who do not.)

sorry, I cant post it - I'm sure if I did my life would be in peril.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #6

the shape of the ashes spelled out a message, (for those who choose to read it) and a WARNING (for those who do not.)

05-26-2006, 09:20 AM

"The Stereoscopic Lenses are being provided as part of the packaging to enchance your artwork experience of the 10,000 Days package PLEASE USE THEM SAFELY Use of the lenses for any other purpose is not recommended and shall not result in any liability to Volcano, Sony BMG or TOOL"
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Banned at user request

Bincount™: 4029

"The Stereoscopic Lenses are being provided as part of the packaging to enchance your artwork experience of the 10,000 Days package PLEASE USE THEM SAFELY Use of the lenses for any other purpose is not recommended and shall not result in any liability to Volcano, Sony BMG or TOOL"
Kristy31803's Avatar Kristy31803
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM

So THAT'S what the disclaimer was all about. All I could think of was that they meant, "Don't use these while driving!" or "Don't wear them around the house, you'll go crosseyed" kind of thing. Never expected them to be flammable.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

So THAT'S what the disclaimer was all about. All I could think of was that they meant, "Don't use these while driving!" or "Don't wear them around the house, you'll go crosseyed" kind of thing. Never expected them to be flammable.
05-26-2006, 09:53 AM

That sucks, but the problem with your statement is "my only guess is...", meaning you have no viable proof, nor are you certain that's what caused it. Do you have renter's insurance? If so, that should cover it. ANd if you don't, you should get it, it really is helpful, saved my ass a few times. Again, sorry to hear, hope you get things worked out.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

That sucks, but the problem with your statement is "my only guess is...", meaning you have no viable proof, nor are you certain that's what caused it. Do you have renter's insurance? If so, that should cover it. ANd if you don't, you should get it, it really is helpful, saved my ass a few times. Again, sorry to hear, hope you get things worked out.
zol's Avatar zol
05-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydog420

So now two of us humans know the meaning of life, the universe and everything. This is becoming dangerous.

For the sake of mankind no one else burn their CDs. Please!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
zol

Quote:

So now two of us humans know the meaning of life, the universe and everything. This is becoming dangerous.

For the sake of mankind no one else burn their CDs. Please!
05-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windir
your not exactly using them if you was to lay them down on the table.I think they definitely could be sued.The warning pertains to looking at other things through the lenses cause it will mess up your eyes if you were to use them for prolonged periods,hence the word "use".They should've put a warning for starting fires.I garauntee you there will be a recall.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
On Probation

Bincount™: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windir
your not exactly using them if you was to lay them down on the table.I think they definitely could be sued.The warning pertains to looking at other things through the lenses cause it will mess up your eyes if you were to use them for prolonged periods,hence the word "use".They should've put a warning for starting fires.I garauntee you there will be a recall.
allusion7.0's Avatar allusion7.0
05-27-2006, 03:35 PM

sue volcano
Old 05-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

sue volcano
khemystri's Avatar khemystri
05-27-2006, 04:22 PM

dont sue anyone!!!!
Thats the fucking problem with this country....
Whiny crybabies!!!!

Man up!!! go buy a new table and chalk it up as stupidity.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

dont sue anyone!!!!
Thats the fucking problem with this country....
Whiny crybabies!!!!

Man up!!! go buy a new table and chalk it up as stupidity.
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Well, I went and spoke with my attorney yesterday, he thinks that I have a good case.

The fire marshal investigated the fire, they found no chemical traces, and no other sources of fire. So unless my table decided to spontaneously combust, the only thing on that table that could have started a fire was the cd case. We got a new case, and tried to mimic the situation (approx. time/angle/height) and sure enough... we had smoke.

Hopefully, they just settle. Although I am willing to take this to trial. I had a lot of rare stuff on my cd/dvd rack. Im sure you all know how hard it is to find a copy of Salvial. That coffee table was a family heirloom! I cant just "go and buy another one".
Old 05-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #14

Well, I went and spoke with my attorney yesterday, he thinks that I have a good case.

The fire marshal investigated the fire, they found no chemical traces, and no other sources of fire. So unless my table decided to spontaneously combust, the only thing on that table that could have started a fire was the cd case. We got a new case, and tried to mimic the situation (approx. time/angle/height) and sure enough... we had smoke.

Hopefully, they just settle. Although I am willing to take this to trial. I had a lot of rare stuff on my cd/dvd rack. Im sure you all know how hard it is to find a copy of Salvial. That coffee table was a family heirloom! I cant just "go and buy another one".
05-27-2006, 08:49 PM

im sorry, but this is fucking hilarious
Old 05-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #15

Bincount™: 4

im sorry, but this is fucking hilarious
Lackymacky's Avatar Lackymacky
05-27-2006, 09:01 PM

well if youre not going to buy a new table at least change your name
Old 05-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 110

well if youre not going to buy a new table at least change your name
05-27-2006, 11:02 PM

I find it hard to believe this fire was the bands fualt. Pin it on natural disasters then next thing happens next God will be getting a subpoena in court.
<God> damnit!!! I hate going to court!!! I am so fucking gay anda looser, or something, like omg.
<Gods gay little butt fiend> lets fuck.
<God> alright.

Thus the flaming asshole of god caused a natural disaster to strike and burn your coffee table.

Whats wrong with using god's name in vain?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

I find it hard to believe this fire was the bands fualt. Pin it on natural disasters then next thing happens next God will be getting a subpoena in court.
<God> damnit!!! I hate going to court!!! I am so fucking gay anda looser, or something, like omg.
<Gods gay little butt fiend> lets fuck.
<God> alright.

Thus the flaming asshole of god caused a natural disaster to strike and burn your coffee table.

Whats wrong with using god's name in vain?
05-27-2006, 11:04 PM

God, DAMN YOU!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

God, DAMN YOU!!!
05-27-2006, 11:50 PM

Were you stoned on that "primo ganga" when you carelessly left your house unnattended? Lawyers are going to ask these types of questions.
You sue, You suck!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Were you stoned on that "primo ganga" when you carelessly left your house unnattended? Lawyers are going to ask these types of questions.
You sue, You suck!
jim39n's Avatar jim39n
05-27-2006, 11:53 PM

wow...

suing sounds like a bad ideo to me also...then again the record companies are evil greedy bastards

but also Tool has put out this amazing album and gone the extra mile to give us amazing art work. i would hate to see them have to take blame for this.

so i guess if it's just the record label it hurts, great, fuck em in the ass...but if it will harm Tool, don't do it.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

wow...

suing sounds like a bad ideo to me also...then again the record companies are evil greedy bastards

but also Tool has put out this amazing album and gone the extra mile to give us amazing art work. i would hate to see them have to take blame for this.

so i guess if it's just the record label it hurts, great, fuck em in the ass...but if it will harm Tool, don't do it.
05-27-2006, 11:58 PM

I heard the band payed an extra $3 an album for each stereoscopic lense. Now if you could get money from the record label and not affect the band then I appluade your choice to sue. Down with evil labels! Hell, TOOL could have hoped by putting the lenses in there that maybe they could screw their label over because there are so many stoner TOOL fans and they know it!!! HAHAHA!!!

Last edited by justify_denials; 05-28-2006 at 12:00 AM..
Old 05-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

I heard the band payed an extra $3 an album for each stereoscopic lense. Now if you could get money from the record label and not affect the band then I appluade your choice to sue. Down with evil labels! Hell, TOOL could have hoped by putting the lenses in there that maybe they could screw their label over because there are so many stoner TOOL fans and they know it!!! HAHAHA!!!

Last edited by justify_denials; 05-28-2006 at 12:00 AM..
justify_denials's Avatar justify_denials
05-28-2006, 12:03 AM

P.s. What time did the fire happen or what time did you notice it? Could it have been at "1:13" pm? Because that would also be "13:13" pm......

Wikipedia> "13 numerology"
Old 05-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

P.s. What time did the fire happen or what time did you notice it? Could it have been at "1:13" pm? Because that would also be "13:13" pm......

Wikipedia> "13 numerology"
05-28-2006, 12:06 AM

you do have a point. But why lie about this shit anyways?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

you do have a point. But why lie about this shit anyways?
05-28-2006, 12:13 AM

could be a lie, but i deffinetly see how it's possible

class action suit anyone?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

could be a lie, but i deffinetly see how it's possible

class action suit anyone?
05-28-2006, 10:20 AM

I have witnesses guys. When I went out to water my garden, I saw my neighbor out there and we were talking for a few seconds, It was him who noticed the smoke. He called the fire department while I ran inside with the hose to put the fire out.

I wouldnt call leaving a cd case randomly on a coffee table "misuse" I mean, what are you supposed to do with it?

I do have pictures, but my lawyer explicitly told me not to post them on the net. That way we still have a bartering chip, if they choose to settle. I may have to turn the pictures over, so the companies can avoid a bad rep. He thinks they may just want to "bury this whole thing"

Screw that. I want a signed apology from the band.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #25

I have witnesses guys. When I went out to water my garden, I saw my neighbor out there and we were talking for a few seconds, It was him who noticed the smoke. He called the fire department while I ran inside with the hose to put the fire out.

I wouldnt call leaving a cd case randomly on a coffee table "misuse" I mean, what are you supposed to do with it?

I do have pictures, but my lawyer explicitly told me not to post them on the net. That way we still have a bartering chip, if they choose to settle. I may have to turn the pictures over, so the companies can avoid a bad rep. He thinks they may just want to "bury this whole thing"

05-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:

I hope you get a signed bullet right in the fucking head. Too bad it didn't burn your house down while you were sleeping instead. I'll keep my eye out and also send all this thread information to the record company so they can aleast use your stupid statements, such as the ganja one against you in court.

At first you had some sympathy from me but wanting a signed apology from the band? Boy, you're fucking stupid and worthless. If you had an apartment full of enough valuables to sue over and you didn't have renters insurance for $20 a month then you really weren't too worried about your things.

Last edited by theprosperone; 05-28-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:

I hope you get a signed bullet right in the fucking head. Too bad it didn't burn your house down while you were sleeping instead. I'll keep my eye out and also send all this thread information to the record company so they can aleast use your stupid statements, such as the ganja one against you in court.

At first you had some sympathy from me but wanting a signed apology from the band? Boy, you're fucking stupid and worthless. If you had an apartment full of enough valuables to sue over and you didn't have renters insurance for $20 a month then you really weren't too worried about your things.

Last edited by theprosperone; 05-28-2006 at 10:36 AM..
shorabali's Avatar shorabali
05-28-2006, 12:31 PM

good way of getting their autographs. thumbs up to you man.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

good way of getting their autographs. thumbs up to you man.
05-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone
I hope you get a signed bullet right in the fucking head. Too bad it didn't burn your house down while you were sleeping instead.
Thats cool, but if I was asleep, then it would probably be night time, and the sun wouldnt be able to start the fire, now would it?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #28

Quote:
I hope you get a signed bullet right in the fucking head. Too bad it didn't burn your house down while you were sleeping instead.
Thats cool, but if I was asleep, then it would probably be night time, and the sun wouldnt be able to start the fire, now would it?
05-28-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Hey dude, go ahead and try to abuse the legal system to make up for your own stupidity.

I don't even believe him completely but being dumb enough to say that he would sue the band for something this stupid is somewhat baffling.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Hey dude, go ahead and try to abuse the legal system to make up for your own stupidity.

I don't even believe him completely but being dumb enough to say that he would sue the band for something this stupid is somewhat baffling.
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-28-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Im still trying to figure out how leaving a cd case sitting on a table is "stupid"

Stupid is, however... believing my bullshit story about burning down my coffee table. I didnt think ANYONE would buy it. Thanks everyone, its been pretty funny reading all your responses.

My coffee table and cds are fine.

My primo ganja was burned, in an incident far from tragic.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #30

Quote:

Im still trying to figure out how leaving a cd case sitting on a table is "stupid"

Stupid is, however... believing my bullshit story about burning down my coffee table. I didnt think ANYONE would buy it. Thanks everyone, its been pretty funny reading all your responses.

05-28-2006, 03:33 PM

haha, this thread is pretty funny, i didnt believe your story for one second. the replies of those who did were pretty goddamned hilarious....i cant believe people said that leaving a CD on a table is misuse, among others...
Old 05-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #31
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

haha, this thread is pretty funny, i didnt believe your story for one second. the replies of those who did were pretty goddamned hilarious....i cant believe people said that leaving a CD on a table is misuse, among others...
05-28-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Of course you're lying. Why? Because the sunlight that it would take to start a fire with the lenses wouldn't be intense enough coming through a window. I knew that already, along with the fact that the temperatures you can achieve using a magnifying glass aren't enough to ignite hardwood. Calling you stupid was the flack you deserved for starting this thread in the first place.

I do however wonder why someone would be stupid enough to post something like this in the first place. I mean, har har I got you can be funny sometimes but the fact that you thought out some elaborate story really proves you don't have many constructive things to do with your time.

Last edited by theprosperone; 05-28-2006 at 03:39 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #32

Quote:

Of course you're lying. Why? Because the sunlight that it would take to start a fire with the lenses wouldn't be intense enough coming through a window. I knew that already, along with the fact that the temperatures you can achieve using a magnifying glass aren't enough to ignite hardwood. Calling you stupid was the flack you deserved for starting this thread in the first place.

I do however wonder why someone would be stupid enough to post something like this in the first place. I mean, har har I got you can be funny sometimes but the fact that you thought out some elaborate story really proves you don't have many constructive things to do with your time.

Last edited by theprosperone; 05-28-2006 at 03:39 PM..
Systolic
05-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:

That and the fact that lenses have to be placed at a specific angle to refract light in a method that could set a fire....

You would have had to have opened your case, and set it upright, with the lenses pointing outward at an angle towards something flammable... and that would be more than inentional...

I didn't believe you for the first second... now go fry yourself, you fucking pothead.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #33
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862

Quote:

That and the fact that lenses have to be placed at a specific angle to refract light in a method that could set a fire....

You would have had to have opened your case, and set it upright, with the lenses pointing outward at an angle towards something flammable... and that would be more than inentional...

I didn't believe you for the first second... now go fry yourself, you fucking pothead.
05-28-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Dude, it took me like 5 minutes total to post all of this. Its just funny to see all the responses about it. Why would you get so damn upset about it? Everything you said about me obviously is true about you as well. Why did you bother to post? Are you the kind of person who reads The Onion and gets upset? Im sure most of the people (300 some) who read this whole thread got a good laugh about it, especially when people called me an idiot for not having renters insurance, and got all upset when I claimed I was going to sue. I didnt "think up some story", I just sat down at the keyboard and let the bullshit flow.

(and I said that the sunlight caught a piece of paper...)
Old 05-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #34

Quote:

Dude, it took me like 5 minutes total to post all of this. Its just funny to see all the responses about it. Why would you get so damn upset about it? Everything you said about me obviously is true about you as well. Why did you bother to post? Are you the kind of person who reads The Onion and gets upset? Im sure most of the people (300 some) who read this whole thread got a good laugh about it, especially when people called me an idiot for not having renters insurance, and got all upset when I claimed I was going to sue. I didnt "think up some story", I just sat down at the keyboard and let the bullshit flow.

(and I said that the sunlight caught a piece of paper...)
05-28-2006, 04:27 PM

Im not gonna be an asshole and say you didnt fool me.... you DID fool me...

You fooled me into thinking your a douche....
That shit sticks forever in my book.... Lucydog420.... THE DOUCHE ;)
Old 05-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Im not gonna be an asshole and say you didnt fool me.... you DID fool me...

You fooled me into thinking your a douche....
That shit sticks forever in my book.... Lucydog420.... THE DOUCHE ;)
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM

well, at least I get my 15 minutes of fame, even if im famous for being a douche.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #36

well, at least I get my 15 minutes of fame, even if im famous for being a douche.
05-28-2006, 05:12 PM

nevermind...
Old 05-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #37
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

nevermind...
jim39n's Avatar jim39n
05-28-2006, 08:12 PM

lol...i'm retarded

sounded plausible though...

congrats
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

lol...i'm retarded

sounded plausible though...

congrats
05-29-2006, 03:05 PM

this could happen easily,as I said in another thread.i started a fire no problem with my copy,took about 10 seconds for the grass to start smoking and light.Now it's only May,when July/Aug roles around and the sun is much more powerfull it would easily start a fire if left in a car with the lenses flap out,or in a house under the right circumstances.

ANYTHING that can start a fire,or is easily flammable is supposed to have speicific warning telling you so.The lady won the lawsuit about Mcdonalds coffee being too hot.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #39
On Probation

Bincount™: 54

this could happen easily,as I said in another thread.i started a fire no problem with my copy,took about 10 seconds for the grass to start smoking and light.Now it's only May,when July/Aug roles around and the sun is much more powerfull it would easily start a fire if left in a car with the lenses flap out,or in a house under the right circumstances.

ANYTHING that can start a fire,or is easily flammable is supposed to have speicific warning telling you so.The lady won the lawsuit about Mcdonalds coffee being too hot.
encrusted's Avatar encrusted
05-29-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You rock - laughed all the way through the moronathon! .... and you've inspired many science experiments - for my part, I've been focusing sunlight through the lenses at different angles and guaging outcomes - works like a charm, lit a couple of smokes and been frying ants on the patio all afternoon!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #40
in the fade

Bincount™: 36

Quote:
You rock - laughed all the way through the moronathon! .... and you've inspired many science experiments - for my part, I've been focusing sunlight through the lenses at different angles and guaging outcomes - works like a charm, lit a couple of smokes and been frying ants on the patio all afternoon!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply