opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 01-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by holy reality
hey professor frink, that would be great if you could do that, i'd recommend making a high quality one, then a really small kind of crappy one so it's easier to download for slower connections, if you put it on your shared kazaa folder people will download and it'll eventually start getting spread everywhere
Yeah I'll see what I can do. The only high-quality version of the movie I can find runs fast for some reason (ends up being about 3 or 4 minutes shorter than usual) so i'll have to mess with the duration.. my friend is a whiz with this stuff, he's the head of our film club here at my college (we're actually getting a short clip of ours played on CBC tomorrow night :P). So, hopefully within a day or two I'll have something ready.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:56 PM   #42
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 111
Quote:
Originally posted by Professor Frink
Yeah I'll see what I can do. The only high-quality version of the movie I can find runs fast for some reason (ends up being about 3 or 4 minutes shorter than usual) so i'll have to mess with the duration.. my friend is a whiz with this stuff, he's the head of our film club here at my college (we're actually getting a short clip of ours played on CBC tomorrow night :P). So, hopefully within a day or two I'll have something ready.
That would be great. I have a ripped copy of the movie off kazaa and it doesnt fit. If you do get the thing together i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:28 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Synchs as Objects of Hazy Perception

Hello everyone. I'm a first-time poster, long -time lurker. Glad to be here as part of a really cool community.

I've been reading this thread about synchs and that other thread with the alternate track listings, which also mentions synchs. Forgetting the question whether synchs are intentional, planned things or sheer coincidence, I'd love to discuss how our minds work in perceiving these synchs. I mean, some people see them and swear they must have been planned (Prof. Frink I'm looking at you :)) and other people completely dismiss them. Still others think they may exist but all as a major coincidence. A synch seems to be an example of an "object of hazy perception" - something that may be part of the world and how the world works, or maybe not. Like... umm shall we say, God? Religion? Magic? Superstition? Conspiracy theories?

Why do some people see the synch in all it's glory and others don't? How subjective is our perception in this matter? Whereas concepts like God and Natural Order are a bit too big and lofty to be adequately analysed here (degree in theology/anthropology/neural science anyone?) maybe we can do something on the idea of synchs. This idea of hazily perceived objects really fascinates me. I look forward to some of your thoughts on the matter.

Cheers.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #44
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Handy
That would be great. I have a ripped copy of the movie off kazaa and it doesnt fit. If you do get the thing together i would greatly appreciate it.
Yeah that's fantastic, the only bad thing is I heard that because of RIAA all ISPs are supposed to report anyone who downloads files from kazaa... :( so perhaps another means of distribution would be better? I don't know, I don't think they care about videos, but..... well they(RIAA) are inherintly evil IMO
Old 01-28-2003, 08:08 PM   #45
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I don't think I can use Kazaa anyways from my school. I'm going to have to use Soulseek.

The thing is compiling now, I'll have it up on Soulseek tomorrow (slsk.org if you need it). user name is Griff, try around noon(eastern time) tomorrow (wed). Hopefully the transfer speeds won't be too bad,

edit-->actually it might be a little later than that. Meh, just look sometime tomorrow.

Last edited by Professor Frink; 01-28-2003 at 09:10 PM..
Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 AM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the bad news: had to go with mp4 format, which means quicktime :( (quicktime.com for qt6, its a quick dl)

good news: It's only 450 MB.

If you truly enjoy it, obviously the best quality will be by renting the DVD. The quality on this synch isn't amazing, but it's enough to make it enjoyable.

It's up on SoulSeek now, user Griff. Hopefully my speeds won't be too bad!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:38 PM   #47

450 mb???? Man thats huge... anyway you aren't on there right now.... I guess I'll have to try and find you from school...
Old 01-30-2003, 09:34 PM   #48
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Yes I have seen the sync. It works for many of the songs, but some parts don't fit. Overall, I say it is a good view.

Last edited by N_I3; 01-30-2003 at 09:37 PM..
Old 02-01-2003, 04:04 AM   #49
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 43
Quote:
Originally posted by diseased_lung
I don't get it. I actually wasted my time with this, thinking that it would actually work. How could I have been so foolish? Let me issue a warning to anyone who is considering this: DONT DO IT. It is a complete waste of time and is very dissapointing. Not at one point did the move sync up.
I completely agree.

Great joke guys, I fell for it.

To everyone else: don't be as stupid as me; they do not synch up at all. It was a waste of time.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:17 PM   #50

I have only been able to see a very limited amount of this (downloading slow) but I have to say it's amazing, and I don't see how you guys can't see it.... it might not be 100% in synch, but it's extremely good..... "hang on and be..." and it shows those skeletons hanging from the tree....... wow!

Thanks professor frink for putting that file up, maybe eventually I'll actually manage to download the whole thing.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #51
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yeah sorry about the upload speeds. My school sucks ass.

N_13, would you mind trying to host it somewhere, if you kept it? I'm not gettin much more than 5k/s upload on Soulseek.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:14 AM   #52

yeah, 12% done lol........ ummmmmmmm are you sure you don't have the "max u/l kb/s" thing set low or something? it should be set to zero or to really high like 500 or something
Old 02-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

nah it's just my school going crazy with capping everything. You could just go rent the movie you know :)
Old 02-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #54

i could.... but that costs money.... and i don't have enough time right now
Old 02-04-2003, 09:59 PM   #55
Level 4 - Thinker

NBC and Tool

I have been watching NBC and listening to Tool for several years now, I originally was told about watching it while listening to Aenima. You start it so the music gets heavy when the door opens at the beginning.
shoulder deep within the borderline, her arm comes off.
The lamenting in eulogy, as he walks through a cemetary
46&2 singing about the shadow, while he is in the meeting standing at the podium with a spot light on him.
There are many more, just can't think of them
I have seen this with both Aenima and Lateralus
Aenima works much better. The animation is very balck and white, just like the CD. This works on so many levels.
Try watching this on mushrooms or some really good hydro.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:28 PM   #56
KCh
Level 3 - Talker

Throw your mushrooms away guys, you need no more drugs.

These rants about 'Oh look at how similar this movie is to Lateralus' is proof you need no more.

Write something worth your existance for once would you?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:03 AM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by KCh
Throw your mushrooms away guys, you need no more drugs.

These rants about 'Oh look at how similar this movie is to Lateralus' is proof you need no more.

Write something worth your existance for once would you?
Must not have had it synched right. Wow. So it was NBC all along. I always knew there was a movie that went with this album but this ended up being a total suprise to me. Although the stop motion kind of makes sense. Pretty nifty indeed.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:53 AM   #58
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 358
Hmmm... doesn't seem to be happening for me, but I downloaded a rip from Kazaa specifically to try it. People have already said that it doesn't work out right with the rips?

I'll try a dvd at some point.

Any suggestions as to other options? Is that version with Lateralus embedded in it still available?

Cheers.

So they built as men must build
With the sword in one hand and the trowel in the other.

T.S. Eliot.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:51 PM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: NBC and Tool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mslash68
I have been watching NBC and listening to Tool for several years now, I originally was told about watching it while listening to Aenima. You start it so the music gets heavy when the door opens at the beginning.
shoulder deep within the borderline, her arm comes off.
The lamenting in eulogy, as he walks through a cemetary
46&2 singing about the shadow, while he is in the meeting standing at the podium with a spot light on him.
There are many more, just can't think of them
I have seen this with both Aenima and Lateralus
Aenima works much better. The animation is very balck and white, just like the CD. This works on so many levels.
Try watching this on mushrooms or some really good hydro.
Haven't tried it with the Aenema CD yet. Very curious though after seeing how well it works with Lateralus. Can't imagine it would work better than Lateralus. Isn't the Aenema CD 10 mins shorter?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:53 AM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

Which touchstone logo? I've encountered three thus far. There is the one at the start of the DVD, there is the exact same one straight after it followed by a "Touchstone Pictures Presents" screen. Which one do I play after.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right at all. It looks as if nothing is synching up. Is the actual music supposed to start when the camera is zooming down over the Tree Door things? I think I need more references to go by to make sure I'm doing it right.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:33 AM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
any thing can sinck up, one day i was wacthing the X-men cartoon and as Magneeto started up his bid death machine, the phone rang.....

has any one tryed to do this with other Tim Burton films?
Old 02-09-2003, 12:38 PM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Grommell
Which touchstone logo? I've encountered three thus far. There is the one at the start of the DVD, there is the exact same one straight after it followed by a "Touchstone Pictures Presents" screen. Which one do I play after.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right at all. It looks as if nothing is synching up. Is the actual music supposed to start when the camera is zooming down over the Tree Door things? I think I need more references to go by to make sure I'm doing it right.
i used the special edition dvd of nbc, and you start the cd right when the touchstone logo comes on the sceen (music starts when the logo fades into the opening credits). to be 100% sure: the time on your dvd player should match the time running on your cd player.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:37 AM   #63
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I seem to be getting decent upload speeds on Soulseek now. Give it another try if you'd like.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:27 AM   #64
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30
i gotta try this shit! me frend is upsessed with nbc so ill do it with her she isint the biggest tool fan tho hehe... im worken on that tho on the bus i make her listen to lateralus and undertow a few times
Old 06-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #65
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Bincount™: 2148
i've tried dsotm/wizard of oz several times, and it is near perfect, I absolutely sugguest you do it yourself, I could go into detail about all the coincidences but it would take hours and hours.

Anyway, i happened to have lost my one and only copy of nbc (its VHS) and I'm too poor to buy a new one, but when I do buy a copy, where exactly should I unpause the CD and let it start playing??
Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #66
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Quote:
Originally posted by eulogy508
[...] where exactly should I unpause the CD and let it start playing??
I'm rendering a WMV file now. I'll try to make it available here.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator
Old 06-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #67
Level 2 - Poster

I watched it and had mixed feelings, I especially thought the first 10 minutes were cool.

No one has yet mentioned that the weird green glob guy is on a spiralling circular platform, (similar to Maynard's on the recent tours), during the same climatic part of Lateralus, where the platform spins during the show.

I found this to be the most interesting coincidence of the synch. As well as the pumpkins falling on the stakes in time with the opening of the grudge.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: