opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 07-16-2003, 04:55 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
That's what I'm saying- I understand and appreciate that (I have to- I'm a Music Theory major). These people that I'm complaining about though, in the small town I'm from- they know jack shit about music history or theory, believe me. They worship (and I do mean worship) Led Zeppelin solely because they're Led Zeppelin. Seriously, people, you'd have to see this crap to believe it. It's scary. And I was just venting about that, which is what I apologized for. These are people that claim that, even apart from historical perspective, Zeppelin is the Greatest Band That Will Ever Exist, period. My town is crawling with them. But I do believe that Led Zeppelin perpetrated some indispensible advances, esp. in the area of song structure and progression, like Elgyn said. I'm not some uninformed Zeppelin Hater, I swear. I just get bombarded daily with Led Sheep.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:02 PM   #42
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
Mr. Zebra,
I understand where you are coming from... its like people who only like things which are played on the radio because they're in fashion at the moment. I know a lot of people who are like that... "but.... but... they're the best...", and I know where you're coming from a little better now.
It doesn't bother me that you don't like Zeppelin, because not everyone is going to, thats just the way things are. I wasn't meaning to defend them or anything, although I guess in some ways I did.

I like your point about always being aware that you could be wrong. Means you're receptive to new ideas and so on, which is definately healthy. I try and do the same, but generally I find most people here are pretty good about accepting opinions.

Hope I didn't piss you off too much with my post though...
Go well, friend.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:26 AM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

If you're all agreeing that what was said was just an opinion then why is there any arguing going on?

Since we're on the subject of opinions ... I think I'll share mine a little (feel free to judge as you please, because you all live x+2 miles away from me and it doesn't really matter what you think)

Led Zeppelin was a horrible waste of time for everybody. Fuck what they did to music. They didn't do shit because if they didn't exist there would've been some other band that could've written shit loads of better songs to come along and do it for them. They shouldn't have ever gotten a label. Yeah, they brought up different structures and timing and shit for songs ... bullshit! It doesn't take too much time to read into Classical music or Baroque (it's 3:18 am so I'm not quite sure if I spelled it correctly) or ANYTHING ELSE (especially once you get into Bach) to realize that all they did was do a shitty job of copying somebody else. They weren't even that great for their time. Sure, the people thought they were great ... but look who's big and popular now. Fucking Phlegminem and Linkin Park. Should they get credit for taking music in different directions because they're names are big now? Hell no ... instead of wasting our ass sweat on pissing "Led Zeppeln" on our walls we can look at the THREE original contoversies. The THREE original controversies (or moments of penetration, listen to Stinkfist and you'll know my say) would have to be Elvis Presley (for sex appeal), The Beatles (for bringing out the green side of the forest), and Black Sabbath (for scaring the shit out of everybody). What did Led Zeppelin do? Get up on stage and sing about rock and roll ... kind of like how Kid Rock's first hit song started out with "MY NAME IS KID ROCK!" Led Zeppelin had that hole "We want to be badasses because we're a bunch of punk bitch rock'n rollers!" Please ... you've all heard their lame ass songs which cry out rock and roll. Led Zeppelin just took a shit on some hobo's chest and called it art (that's my analogy to how horrible their "music" is).

There's my opinion, now fuck it like a bitch.

-Pushit, Tool
Old 07-20-2003, 03:30 AM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hehe

By the way ... I don't mind if any one of you defend Led Zeppelin, one of my two very best friends is in love with the band (I just give him loads of shit). I do, however, like having something to rant about :p

-Pushit, Tool
Old 07-20-2003, 08:04 PM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7
tool
metallica(before load)
zeppelin
dream theatre
portis head
disturbed
rush
soundgarden
Dave Mathews band(there unpopular music is actually deep)
Mozart
Beethoven
NIN
radiohead
sublime
Enya(incredible when high)

Bands that induce death:

almost everything else
Old 07-27-2003, 11:16 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Macrame- So you're saying that no one should ever write music, because of the Beatles, Elvis, and Black Sabbath? Hmmm. Have you ever heard "Jailhouse Rock" or "Blue Suede Shoes"? How can you argue lyrical substance as a reason to completely disregard Led Zeppelin? And you said yourself that their musical experimentation was worthwhile, but that route would have been taken by someone else had they not come along- that could be said about ANY BAND IN EXISTENCE (including Tool, The Beatles, Elvis, and Black Sabbath). Should the artists recieve no credit? Elvis was simply mimicking Little Richard, James Brown, most of all, Chuck Berry- but he was white, so people paid attention. You could run in these circles for hours, or you could just credit artists with the advances that they DO make instead of spewing profanity-laced derogatory comments with no sustainable logic to back them up. What are you accomplishing??

Oh- and I think Eminem is a genius.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:05 AM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Hey man, that doesn't change the fact that they sound like shit. To say that your argument makes any accomplishment is to give credit to every other meaningless contradiction made. You can't say anything about accomplishments, because all you did was make a big "nuh uh" statement ... expecting I would reply "uh huh." Well, shut the fuck up :)

-Pushit, Tool
Old 07-31-2003, 01:46 PM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Macrame- Did you read my post? Read it again. I said that we should credit artists with the things that they DO accomplish. Even you admitted to Zeppelin's applications of Baroque and Classical song structure and their integration of it into rock music. If we judged everyone based on the fact that someone else could have done what they did, then everyone would be subject to ridicule. You said Elvis was a "big controversy"? All Elvis did was rip off black music to begin with- Chuck Berry, mostly. It was only controversial because he was white, not because his music was new and different. And if you think Led Zeppelin sounds like shit, that's fine. Don't listen to them. That's your perogative. I'm not a big Zep fan myself. But the fact that other people enjoy their music shouldn't get your panties in a wad. Some people don't hold the opinion that they sound like shit. I'd rather hear them on the radio than Good Charlotte or Britney Spears.

What's up with everybody resorting to insults on this site? Every time I state my opinion (on an "opinion" page, no less), someone slings mud at me. You just told me to "shut the fuck up." Why? Isn't this a dialogue? Didn't you invite people to discuss what you said? I'm confused.

Last edited by Mr. Zebra; 07-31-2003 at 01:51 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #49
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

And YOU didn't read my post. My post was that simply Led Zeppelin sucked ass, and that's what my opinion was. I simply stated that disregarding all of the movements they supposedly made, their music was awful and I don't feel it deserves credit. The reason I'm arguing is because you're stuffing this forum with a whole load of shit saying that I SHOULD credit them. Well, I told you to shut the fuck up stating that I still hold my right to bear my opinion. Until you start submitting opinions of your own without telling me how to make mine ... your speech privelages will no longer be revoked.

But until then, shut the fuck up.

-Pushit, Tool
Old 08-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Macrame- I still don't get it. All I've been doing is posting my opinion, and I never told you to "shut the fuck up". I said that if you hate Zep, that's fine- but some people don't, and they're just as entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. And just by DISAGREEING with you I'm "filling this forum with shit"? If you don't want people to post opposing opinions or debate with you, you should probably say so to begin with. But instead, you said, "here's my opinion; now fuck it like a bitch". I'm just following your directions. If you're not mature enough to handle this kind of discussion, that's OK. Just let us know in advance, please, so we don't waste our time.

It's also kind of amusing (and a bit sad) that you think you can "revoke" my speech priveleges. Or that I'll listen when you try to.

Last edited by Mr. Zebra; 08-01-2003 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 11:36 PM   #51
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
i would just like to state that first of all, macrame's taste in music is already questioned by his admission of listening to "the used", i also used there cd, its a cup holder in my garage, second of all im not trying to offend macrame, i'm just saying he's an idiot....and that is my opinion. thirdly of all, yes i said thirdly, led zeppelin is a great band....also my opinion. fourthly of all, yes i did it again, macrame your an idiot for telling mr. zebra to and i quote "shut the fuck up", because mr. zebra didnt say anything, he typed a bunch of words, next time, to be POLITICALLY CORRECT, type "stop typing fucking words", lastly i would like to state, i dont want to lower myself to macrame's standards, i will not tell him to SHUT THE FUCK UP, or say things about him like, HE KNOWS LESS THAN NOTHING, or call him names such as, FUCKING IDIOT or JACKASS. he is intitled to his opinion, just like everybody else....adios
Old 08-08-2003, 03:08 AM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Calm it neochrist. I was hardly serious throughout the entire arguing aspect of all this, and was even playing around when I spoke out my opinions. Yes, I think that Zep is a piece of shit band that only had two good songs out of way too many. No, I don't actually believe Mr. Zebra should shut the fuck up (notice the smiley after I said it).

P.S. It won't chap my ass if you respond, but don't expect me to continue arguing

-Pushit, Tool
Old 08-08-2003, 10:58 AM   #53
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67
I don't listen to that much but here we go:

Tool
APC
Deftones
Rush (why does no one listen to them)
Nirvana (a little)
Rage (A little)
Alexisonfire (crazy canadian screamo)

Some Zep, AC\DC, Audioslave, some other crap that i can't remember but a whackload of good songs by various artists that I must listen to more. What's up with Sigur Ros, why don't they name anything? Their video is pretty frightening. What do they sound like, and what does Dream Theater sound like also?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:33 PM   #54
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
i still think your an idiot....
Old 08-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #55
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: STAIND RIPS OF TOOL (no shit eh?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underalus
Rush (why does no one listen to them)
it's a shame. rush is the best prog rock i've heard.

just listen to their song "The Trees". great acoustic work, bass, lyrics, drums, EVERYTHING. geddy lee's voice is fascinatingly high, and it's not annoying. just because it's high pitched doesn't mean it's annoying. james labrie of dreamtheater, now THAT's a bit annoying. but geddy does have hell of a voice on him, he can't help it that his vocal chords were made smaller than the average man. he's oen hell of a bassist too, for that matter.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:56 PM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gay Fat Zebra Fuck
Eminem
real, good, poetic, underground hip hop that gets absolutely no commercial exposure. Also The Beastie Boys, Tupac, Lauren Hill, Outkast, Busta Rhymes, and NERD(for production)- it's sad that no one here seems to appreciate or even understand good hip-hop.
EMINEM IS NOT HIP-HOP!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN if eminem was hiphop id put a bullet in my brain...and definately not UNDERGROUND!

if u want hiphop check The Herd, Beastie Boys, Katalyst, DJ Format, Downsyde, MC Trey, Ugly Duckling, Jurassic 5, etc. And make sure to check out the Aussie stuff.

...no commercial exposure...best one i've heard in a long time...
Old 08-12-2003, 11:52 PM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I didn't say that. Listen carefully. I said I like Eminem, and those popular artists I mentioned, AND underground hip-hop (Antipop Consortium, etc.)-a lot of the raw spoken-wordsmiths I saw in clubs while living in N.Y. have never seen a dime for their efforts; they just chase open mike nights from club to club, and they're some of the best I've ever heard. That was who I was reffering to when I said "no commercial exposure". And I know and love all the artists you mentioned- but I haven't looked into much Aussie hip-hop... I'll have to do that. Thanks for the tip. I'm seeing Jurassic 5 at Lolapalooza this weekend. Wahoo!

Oh- I'm not particularly fat. Or gay, though, I must admit, Trent Reznor is pretty sexy. I don't mind being known as a fuck, though... that's actually pretty cool... ;)

How is Eminem not hip-hop? I mean, if you hate him, fine, but that doesn't mean he's not hip-hop.

Last edited by Mr. Zebra; 08-13-2003 at 02:12 AM..
Old 08-13-2003, 03:55 AM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

Ok no bashing bands I find to be shit. Tool is unlike any band because they make music they love and like to listen to. Do you really think staind or Linkin Park go out every night and enjoy hearing their shit no I doubt it.

Bands I like
TooL
APC
Pantera
SuperJoint
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot (Marketing tool but it jams)
Some mudvayne
white Zombie
NiN
Alice In Chains
Manson (last 2 albums let downs thou)
Nirvana
Old Metallica
Pink Floyd
Dylan
Zeppelin
Jimi hendrix
Some Kittie (bitch can scream)
Rage
Tom Petty

I'm sure their are others but who cares.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:53 PM   #59
Level 2 - Poster

Tool(duh)
APC
Radiohead
Cold
Otep
Travis
STP
NIN
Rob Zombie
Days of the New
12 Stones
Chevelle
Pink Floyd
Live
Skrape
Black Label Society
Mudvayne(some)
Fear Factory(again, some songs)
Living Sacrifice
Depeche Mode
Rush
Coal Chamber
Earshot
Pulse Ultra
Godsmack
Porcupine Tree(Coma Divine, In Absentia)
Eagles
Clinic
not necessarily in that order.

there's the list, not that any of you care, but here it is.

Last edited by EjectaWheel; 08-13-2003 at 08:57 PM..
Old 08-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #60
Level 4 - Thinker

Go To--- Something To Think About

GO TO SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

GO TO SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Peace----------- and Goodbye
Old 02-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #61

I just wanted to throw in my two cents. A band could be influenced by another yet sound nothing like them. I play in a band that plays punk rock. you guys would probably say it is a disgrace that i say that i am influenced by tool. and that i say it will reflect into the music. but heres where it really is. i put every bit of emotion into the music we play and the lyrics i write. I draw from my own emotion and i put that through microphone and some drum sticks. Tool puts a shit load of emotion through thier instruments too.

as for music i listen to :
thursday, thrice, coheed, sublime, weaker thans, minus the bear, Nirvana, alice in chains, soundgarden, pearl jam, silver chair, and modest mouse and a few others. well of course TOOL and APC
Old 02-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

"Talent imitates; genius steals." - TS Eliot
Old 02-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #63

Bincount™: 6

Sounds liek fun!

Metallica [kill em all - black]
Alice in chains
A perfect circle
System of a down
Rage against the machine
Machine Head
Queens of the stoneage
Pearl Jam
KoRn
Nirvana
Iron Maiden

In no particular order

Korn got there name cos there was a story bout 2 guys at his school who were licking each others asses. One lblew diarreah in their face, and they opened their mouth... a corn kernal was on his tongue. Jon Davis then went around saying "corn" to ppl to make em throw up. Then hed write it like a kid to make it "sinister"... or thats what he says anyway

Staind... hate em. Limp Bizkit.... hate em. Linkin Park... hate em. Odd thing is i used t like them! AAARGH! I should of shot myself then. I alos hate punk bands, cos their losin their way. Whats the point in singing about having a good time and fucking sum girl... It used to be political... for shame punk... for shame... pussies...
Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #64
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

The guitar pieces to the chorus of Staind's song outside, and the verses to maynard's dick are identical.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: