opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104
Re: What do you consider to be the flaws of this album?

pretty much a giant lateralus love fest eh?
lol, well i wont take away from it.

have to agree tho, that the very ending of parabola drage on a little, kinda overlookable tho.
Faaip De Oiad is shit, but theres a nice big chunk of space before it so u can turn ur cd player off before it starts :D

Ticks and leaches... is fucking awesome, provides the perfect changes of pace, and brings us back momentarily to the real world. And i love the lyrics in it personally...

Parts of the patient are slightly snoozy... but only in comparison to the rest of the album.

Had to dig pretty hard to think of those faults... so i spose i belong in the masses who blindly swear devotion to the album? meh, theres worse places to be...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

i didn't read this whole thread cause im lazy, but i have to say i personally love ticks and leeches. its such a change from the rest of the album and has such rediculous emotion in it. i just love how it goes from a quiet and dream-like middle section straight into the most brutal and aggressive parts ever. maynards screams at the end are so rediculously amazing. i think this song fits perfectly on the album.
and about reflection being too long... i think its absolutely hyptnotic and wouldn't change a thing

yea yea lateralus is my favorite album ever if you didnt notice
Old 10-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
Lateralus (the song,)...the whole "feel the rhythm, feel inspired, see the beauty, etc." part sounds like he made it up as he was going along...
The song is about disregarding a plan and embracing the unknown and unpredictible things that await us. So, if it "sounds like he made it up as he was going along" then he conveyed the intent of the song well.

Last edited by dice5199; 10-22-2006 at 08:00 AM..
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #44

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
I'm ducking while I type this, by the way.
im not going to critisize you, but i dont agree.
the reason im responding to you is because i saw your avatar and was reminded of 8th grade playing baldurs gate 2 and was lifted into euphoria.
thank you.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 103

In the first few seconds of hearing Reflection i was totally and completely drawn into it. The length of the introduction is perfect. It just takes me to another place..and i stay there for the whole song.

Likewise Parabol/parabola send me somewhere else.

If i were to criticise...well its not really a criticism its just a personal preference. I dont like repetetive-ness much. I get annoyed when im stuck with "I know the pieces fit" or "swing on the spiral" in my head over and over and over and cant seem to move past it.

Also, i find that i can really only listen to this album when im in a certain pondering/deep-thinking mood otherwise i will be cast into that state when i dont really want to be eg when im at uni or studying.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
Two words: "The Grudge."
Huh? You must be kidding.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

I think I have a unique perspective, Lateralus is my least favorite album by Tool. I can count only two reasons though, not 3. One, is it's just too "Fear Factory-Obsolete", less "organic" than I was used to, very technical in a restrictive sense. Also, it was such a "Deh, my brain hurts..." puzzler. Now we(just my circle, not here) anticipated, however totally underestimated, the whole "sacred geo." coming through in their "next album" at the time. But to get it, and actually see a fucking set of blueprints on the back, was a bit overwhelming. That's all.
Now to clarify, the "worst" Tool album, is still firmly, 4th on my list of "fav albums of all time."

Peace.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

At times the album seams a bit too mechanical and lacks the natural flow of Aenima and 10,000 Days. Other than that the only problem is the production.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:15 AM   #49
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
I think I have a unique perspective, Lateralus is my least favorite album by Tool. I can count only two reasons though, not 3. One, is it's just too "Fear Factory-Obsolete", less "organic" than I was used to, very technical in a restrictive sense. Also, it was such a "Deh, my brain hurts..." puzzler. Now we(just my circle, not here) anticipated, however totally underestimated, the whole "sacred geo." coming through in their "next album" at the time. But to get it, and actually see a fucking set of blueprints on the back, was a bit overwhelming. That's all.
Now to clarify, the "worst" Tool album, is still firmly, 4th on my list of "fav albums of all time."

Peace.
when you relate it to Fear Factory 'Obselete' in what sense do you mean? the concept-ness of it? I found Obselete to be really quite a contrived album and a total letdown following Demanufacture, but I would like to hear how you equate this with Lateralus. a little too thought out maybe?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:07 AM   #50
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

my opinion...

* Ticks and leeches; the 3 min silent piece in the middle of the song, 2 min too long for me. the song it self as said before, its a little misplaced at the album.

well its my only problem with the album.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post

The "worst" part of Lateralus is the fact that it breaks up tracks. Eon Blue is a part of The Patient. Mantra is a part of Schism. Parabol is a part of Parabola. D/R/T are one song. Hell, the whole album should be one track. That is the worst part.

Totally agree...but if you listen to the album on iTunes with a 5 second crossfade playback, the songs blend together really well...almost like they're one track
Old 11-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #52
On Probation

Bincount™: 35

The end of Disposition.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 AM   #53
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus15 View Post
Totally agree...but if you listen to the album on iTunes with a 5 second crossfade playback, the songs blend together really well...almost like they're one track
you don't need any crossfade playback, just listen to the album like it is. there's no pauses. well there's pauses if your player does those between the songs.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #54
On Probation

Bincount™: 87

i think this album is so good, anything i would criticize would be nitpicking, i dont really like the grudge...but as i said, i cant say anything that bad about Lateralus
Old 11-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rintoot View Post
i think this album is so good, anything i would criticize would be nitpicking, i dont really like the grudge...but as i said, i cant say anything that bad about Lateralus
I admit the album is nearly perfect and i would never ask to change it or have it any other way. however we are nitpicking, thats what make this topic so fun (we get to be as anal as we want).

i would move ticks and leeches to the beginning of the album, lengthen the Patient (its missing something, drum solo anyone?) and cut out FIAAP ..... the last song to make space for an extended patient (80 min max,remember?)
Old 11-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

well, Lateralus is one of my favorite albums as well, but i still find problems.

Cut out triad and Faaip de Oiad, I really enjoy reflection, but I can relate to just about every song on this album a rarity with other albums. I don't connect to the patient that well, i did at one point, but ya. As we grow our minds change, but this album will hold close to me.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #57
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

The only "flaws" that I have noticed....

Vocals at beginning of the grudge

End of parabola

@like 8.35 in the song lateralus, the little 5 note guitar lick after 'spiral out...keep going', always bugs me.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #58
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

Quote:
Lateralus (the song,) has really rhymey lyrics in some places, Maynard gets way too lost in the whole Fibonacci sequence pretense at the beginning, the whole "feel the rhythm, feel inspired, see the beauty, etc." part sounds like he made it up as he was going along, and the polyrhythms do not sound as natural as they do in other Tool songs. Plus the general voicing of the song is really disjointed IMO. (basically I think Maynard ruined this song.)
Mmm, I you reversed everything you said there I might agree.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
I think the only flaw rests with us, in that we presume to be in a position to judge their music, as though they made it for us and not themselves.
I agree, there may be some flaws, but if you really listen to it from different angles, it's brilliant and basically flawless...

From a technical standpoint, the audio is amazing...if you have a good set of speakers in front of you, or headphones, or in a car with a good system, you already know what I'm talking about...

From an artistic standpoint, the theme of progress of the soul is perfected with this album...parabol>parabola could be the most powerful 10 minutes of music they ever wrote

And yea, I'm sure they made it for themselves, but it's also their for us to help ourselves to see this from a different view.

Maybe thats why they chose the name Tool in the first place....
Old 12-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #60
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confield View Post
The end of Disposition.
I respect your opinion entirely, but I had to say somethign because this is one of my favorite parts of the album...The whole tympani drum thing and whatever that thing is bouncing on the snare drum, I love that shit

Just wondering why you would rid the album of this, and dont take it the wrong way, I was just curious!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #61
Level 9 3/4 - British

I find it intriguing how there seem to be a couple of distinct groups of Tool fans - the very old school who won't listen to anything other than Opiate and Undertow. The fans who think Lateralus is perfect and everything else is flawed. New fans who love 10,000 Days and everything else. yet there also seems to be a number of fans that prize Aenima as Tool's masterwork and think of Lateralus as inferior, and even a bad album.

that really confuses me. I love Aenima and Lateralus in different ways, but for me Lateralus is just a sublime piece of musical genius, and I can't see how people could dislike it.

anyway, just an observation.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 AM   #62
wraithin' it with da ancients

Bincount™: 16535

Tool is boring Post-Ænima.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:42 AM   #63
Level 9 3/4 - British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill View Post
Tool is boring Post-Ænima.
can you explain this to me? I am genuinely interested to know why you think this. is it just the movement away from anger? how can you not like Lateralus? I don't get it. but I wish to understand. so please enlighten me.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 AM   #64

It's boring pseudo spiritual crap.

It sounds dead.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #65
Level 9 3/4 - British

Quote:
It's boring pseudo spiritual crap.

It sounds dead.
wow, dead, really? no waaaaay. you sucks.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
10,000 Days is not pseudo spiritual.

Getcha pull Jack O'Neill.
It has a song dealing with his mum becoming a fucking angel, thats spiritual enough for me.

Yeah thats bullshit. All Tool albums have a spiritual aspect, I just hate the way they approached it post-Ænima
Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 AM   #67
Level 9 3/4 - British

thank you for explaining.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #68

This is probably my fav Rock album. I love the long ending on Parabala. My only complaint is it sounds like MJK is a little off tune in The Patient. I mean its not a perfect album but there is little if anything I could change to make it better.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #69
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Ugh flaws:
the grudge - boring nowadays after 3 minutes (I once rated it as a top 5 song ever)
schism - naah, drags on
faaip de oiad - just as bad a every other Tool closing song

oemf (little flaws):
parabol - bit dated, still neat
reflection - see above

Overall I can't listen Lateralus as whole anymore, it is pale and empty compared to Ænima and 10,000 Days.
You're the first Tool fan I know of to say Disgustipated, Faaip De Oaid and Third Eye are bad songs. But I have read bashings of Viginti Tres and Opiate.

But anyways, the only flaw I see in Lateralus is just Schism. But, it wouldn't be a "better" album with it taken off, but I'm just always skipping Schism that if it wasn't put on, it wouldnt matter.

Send me a message saying Im beautiful...I need encouragement

Last edited by Ænima46*; 12-07-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #70
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
10,000 Days is not pseudo spiritual.

Quote:
It has a song dealing with his mum becoming a fucking angel, thats spiritual enough for me.
Made me lol. Pwnts.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #71
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:

Yeah thats bullshit. All Tool albums have a spiritual aspect, I just hate the way they approached it post-Ænima
How do the lyrics make the albums boring? It's the music that is most important, not the lyrics.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
I find it intriguing how there seem to be a couple of distinct groups of Tool fans - the very old school who won't listen to anything other than Opiate and Undertow. The fans who think Lateralus is perfect and everything else is flawed. New fans who love 10,000 Days and everything else. yet there also seems to be a number of fans that prize Aenima as Tool's masterwork and think of Lateralus as inferior, and even a bad album.

that really confuses me. I love Aenima and Lateralus in different ways, but for me Lateralus is just a sublime piece of musical genius, and I can't see how people could dislike it.

anyway, just an observation.

I'm starting a new group of Tool fans...

I like all the albums! Who's comin with me? Who;s comin with me mannn?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #73

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Ugh flaws:
the grudge - boring nowadays after 3 minutes (I once rated it as a top 5 song ever)
schism - naah, drags on
faaip de oiad - just as bad a every other Tool closing song

oemf (little flaws):
parabol - bit dated, still neat
reflection - see above

Overall I can't listen Lateralus as whole anymore, it is pale and empty compared to Ænima and 10,000 Days.
Agree with faaip de oiad. Although, Third Eye was a closing song, and that rocked. Yes though, Undertow/Opiate/Lateralus/10,000 Days all have letdown endings
Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #74
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metta Synth View Post
I'm starting a new group of Tool fans...

I like all the albums! Who's comin with me? Who;s comin with me mannn?
I'll join that group dude. I frggin love everything that tool does and i dont think they are capable of being flawed. All their albums and all their songs rock!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #75
On Probation

Bincount™: 191

lateralus? flaws? tool? are u fucking serious?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #76
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 372

Those who're hating on The Grudge, how can you hate on that lung capacity during that 18+ second yell. That's freakin' amazing.

Flaws of Lateralus? That it ends. Heh. But, as mentioned by many people before, T&L isn't a very catchy song.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #77
On Probation

Bincount™: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by the midas touch View Post

Flaws of Lateralus? That it ends. Heh. But, as mentioned by many people before, T&L isn't a very catchy song.
ending yes. ticks and leaches is the shit. so..... suck me dry.. :p
Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Fact : Third Eye is the best closer.

Everything Esle thats not fact.
1.) Lateralus is a well written master piece, probably it's greatest strength which alone it deserves respect for, yet to me at the same time is it's greatest weakness. It is constructed.

2.) Undertow = My Favorite Album. Period. It is Raw, It is Emotional, it is Amazing. Undertow and Flood <3. Aenima is good and then inserts a segue which just kills me. Usefull Idiot? I could do with out. Intermission? I could do with out. Message to Harry Manback? Also with out. At the same time It's song are some of the best ever.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 AM   #79
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

i'm fairly content in the idea that everything within this album has been thoroughly planned out, that there's a reason for everything, and it is all very necessary. so, i guess the only flaw i've been able to come to is the misprinted "lateralis" tracklisting.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #80
Level 7 - Loquacious

All other Tool albums have weird background shit you usually only notice while you're tripping. This album doesn't really have it, although its absence is fucking trippy.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: