opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 02-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #161
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: New Meaning To the World La-Te-Ra-Lu-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
You are all right.
Rennes-le-chateu(?) is cool. And Lateralus clearly has en alchemist meanig to it.
And it has something to do in connection with the templars stuff.
the french church pentagram mystery is related to this puzzle, there is a picture of it on dissectional. as to the templars, their history is connected with the pentagram as well. http://www.templarhistory.com/pentagram.html

as another possibility, what if the entire solution to the words Lateralus were in fact the VITRIOL acronym which we already discovered?

also, maybe we are looking at the mentions of the planets the wrong way. we are referring to them as chemicals, maybe they should be thought of in the sense of roman mythology, in which saturn is the equivalent of the greek god cronus. satrun ascends could refer to his becoming the ruler of all, or to his purported coming to earth after he was dethroned by jupiter (in greek, zeus) where he came to italy

in GREEK (different from the roman saturn story) mythology, cronus defeated his father uranus and ascended to become ruler of the heavens

Last edited by 1256; 02-28-2004 at 08:47 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #162
Level 4 - Thinker

danny carey and the knights templar

we have been assuming that this hidden message is a work of maynard
however, many of the clues (such as the words to the VITRIOL acronym appearing on danny's website) relate to danny carey instead

i think that danny is really behind this

http://www.toolband.com/identity/index.html
on danny's bio, it lists him observing his father preforming a masonic ritual. later it refers to the temple of solomon. how are these related? the modern-day knights templar are part of the masonic order. the ancient knights templar could be related to the rennes-de-chateau mystery. also, the geometry of the temple of solomon could be important to other things. the ancient knights templar had many strange beliefs about the temple of solomon. the five pointed star, when right side up, was a symbol of the knights templar (see http://www.templarhistory.com/pentagram.html) as opposed to an upside down "evil" one. this could relate to the french church mystery (see dissectional.com) modern day knights templar as part of the masonic lodge are found at http://www.knightstemplar.org/purpose.html
Old 02-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #163
Level 4 - Thinker

new information from dissectional

to see rennes-le-chateau and its location in the french church pentagram , take the following steps

1. go to dissectional.com

2. enter the site repeatedly until you see the screen with the rotating shapes

3. CLICK ON THE STAR

4. rennes-le-chateau is the middle-left point of the star

clicking on rennes-le-chateau will bring up a story about the church and the philosopher's stone!!!!!!!!

the picture at the bottom of the story...
and who is standing at the tomb but danny carey, in front of "the skull-and-crossbones, a templar motif"

it appears that behind danny there is a figure identical to the anima cover...

Last edited by 1256; 02-28-2004 at 11:52 AM..
Old 02-28-2004, 12:33 PM   #164
Level 4 - Thinker

chakra five appears after leaving the rennes-le-chateau site on dissectional, then four, and then one that i believe to be a pentagram...

Last edited by 1256; 02-28-2004 at 12:51 PM..
Old 02-29-2004, 01:09 PM   #165
Level 4 - Thinker

masonic symbols & knights templar

I HAVE DELETED THIS POST BECAUSE OF NEW EVIDENCE I WAS SHOWN THAT NEGATED THE THEORY ON THIS POST ABOUT THE RELATION BETWEEN THE ARTWORK AND THE TITLE

Last edited by 1256; 02-29-2004 at 01:23 PM..
Old 03-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #166
Level 4 - Thinker

links between these ideas

the emerald tablet had been previously mentioned, in relation to alchemy and the elixir of life

the emerald tablet had been supposedly written by thoth, an ancient egyptian god

the emerald tablet supposedly contains the recipe for the elixir of life

THE EMERALD TABLET BEGINS WITH THE WORDS "AS BELOW SO ABOVE..."

in danny carey's bio on toolband.com thoth is mentioned

danny has placed evidence on toolband and dissectional that the ancient egyptain secrets to egyptian embalming fluids, and perhaps the elixir of life, were in the rennes-le-chateau church

DANNY CAREY BELIEVES THAT THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR FOUND THE EMERALD TABLET, BROUGHT IT BACK WITH THEM, AND HID IT IN THE RENNES-LE-CHATEAU CHURCH and he used words from the tablet in the song Lateralus
Old 03-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #167
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: links between these ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1256
the emerald tablet had been previously mentioned, in relation to alchemy and the elixir of life

the emerald tablet had been supposedly written by thoth, an ancient egyptian god

the emerald tablet supposedly contains the recipe for the elixir of life

THE EMERALD TABLET BEGINS WITH THE WORDS "AS BELOW SO ABOVE..."

in danny carey's bio on toolband.com thoth is mentioned

danny has placed evidence on toolband and dissectional that the ancient egyptain secrets to egyptian embalming fluids, and perhaps the elixir of life, were in the rennes-le-chateau church

DANNY CAREY BELIEVES THAT THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR FOUND THE EMERALD TABLET, BROUGHT IT BACK WITH THEM, AND HID IT IN THE RENNES-LE-CHATEAU CHURCH and he used words from the tablet in the song Lateralus
Not a bad idea... but please elaborate... as far as evidence is concerned.. how are you certain of this?

RRed
Old 03-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #168
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh
I can come up with words like "as below, so above" just by using AutoCAD.. it's called the scale function.
Wow, a fellow CAD man. How do you do?
Old 03-01-2004, 07:23 PM   #169
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

forget what post i saw this under... but last night, i saw that someone on a APC fourm had said that...

La = to lie benieth

Te= hidden

Ra= Rays

Lu= paris

S= fire or hell

hidden benieth the rays of paris is fire

hidden benieth the rays of paris is hell

dont know about the numbers or any of this alchamy in relation to these chemicals... but it would be fun to look at any who.
\
spiral out
keep goin
peace
t
Old 03-01-2004, 07:34 PM   #170

" Heres an interesting post I found on the thirteenthstep.net message board.

la te ra lus

Take the made up word "Lateralus" Notice how the letters are seperated into groups of two? The last letter S is tacked onto the previous group

Each group relates to a chemical symbol
----------------------------------------------
LA: Lanthanum
TE: Tellurium
RA: Radium
LU: Lutetium
S(last single letter): Sulfur

Greek & Latin Meaning
--------------------------
Lanthanum: From the Greek word lanthaneis (to lie hidden)
Tellurium: From the Greek word tellus (Earth or Beneath)
Radium: From the Latin word radius (light ray)
Lutetium: From "Lutetia", the ancient Latin name for Paris(often called the "city of lights")
Sulfur: From the Latin word sulfur (hellfire or brimstone)

After conjugating the verbs and whatnot:
"Lying hidden beneath the light of Paris is hellfire."

Given Tool's obsessive interest in the occult aspects of "Rennes-le-Château" and it's connection to the ancient Paris meridian, I think it's fair to say the album title is significant..."
Old 03-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #171

heh, didnt notice you all had already summed this up =)
Old 03-02-2004, 03:37 AM   #172
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

cool theory man!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:39 PM   #173
Level 4 - Thinker

it seems you all have a lot of time on your hands, and researching is top notch. way to go. you solved the lateralus mystery, now its time to solve where the other sock goes when i stick it in the dirty clothes hamper ;)
Old 03-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #174
Level 4 - Thinker

more emerald tablet

http://www.alchemylab.com/emerald_tablet.htm

this site is an english translation of the emerald tablet
notice also the mention of thoth on danny's bio

if you want to help me find evidence to support the theory please post any information you can on the "Prieure du Notre Dame du Sion"
the best i can find is in a history of rennes-le-chateau that is obviously false and exaggerated

also i believe that this name has more than one layer of meaning. the elements have already been analyzed to death on the other four pages of this message thread. as long as we're revisiting the topic, however, i want to bring up that the VITRIOL acronym is similar in meaning to the translation of the elements (see previous pages for the VITRIOL acronym). if its on danny carey's personal page (written around a polygon on page2) then its probably important
Old 03-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #175
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1481

Wow. I need to come to this part of the site more often. This was a great reading and theory. Even if it is not correct and has no validity, it still is astonishing that someone could even think to research this. Good job, I feel enlightened for one of the first times...from this site anyway. :)
Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 AM   #176
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518

this thread is still going?!?!??! . . .

thank god for the return of the "view new posts" option . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .
Old 03-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #177
Level 4 - Thinker

severing the mind frees it

I was listening to the song Lateralus yesterday as i scrubbed the mold off my deck, and I remembered some other posts about how we were overanalyzing the song. But then i thought, why is that bad? why is seperating the body from the mind a negative thing? don't laugh at this example, but on the original Star Trek there was an episode about a species called the Organians, who had transcended their physical bodies and become beings of pure energy

encarta on alchemy- "The fundamental concept of alchemy stemmed from the Aristotelian doctrine that all things tend to reach perfection. Because other metals were thought to be less “perfect” than gold, it was reasonable to assume that nature formed gold out of other metals deep within the earth and that with sufficient skill and diligence an artisan could duplicate this process in the workshop."

and the other goal of the alchemist was to make himself reach perfection and gain unending life. the quest for the philosopher's stone was not only about gaining the stone but about how the quest for the stone purified you in something more perfect, achieving a sort of divinity (which i don't believe in) while remaining a person at the same time- as in the song.

maybe by overthinking and overanalyzing through our quest for the answers to these mysteries, tool wants us ourselves to transform (albeit in a more real and practical way than the alchemists of old aspired to). our mind(s) can become more detatched allowing us to fully witness each moment, not just through our physical senses.

this gets me thinking, and maybe someone can research this, what did alchemists think their extended life be like after drinking the elixir of life from the philosopher's stone?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #178
Banned.

Bincount™: 301

"fuck you buddy"
Old 03-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #179
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarforsker
No, we are obviously not looking for the holy grail. I often wonder why people post stuff like this? Does it matter to you if the references are put on the album on purpose or if it is merely a series of coincidential patterns? I don't believe anyone posting in here is searching for any grail or the so called meaning of life?! Basicly we are just following what to us seem like interesting and fascinating clues to learn and expand our knowledge. If you do not wish to participate, then don't. No one is forcing you, really... and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye!
I think people are looking for the 'holy grail.' I think if Tool came out tommorow and said "this is the meaning of life" then two-thirds of the jackasses here would say "I knew it!! I told you!!" when really they didn't know shit, just copying each others "interesting and fascinating clues to learn and expand our knowledge." pretending to know something important. Want to know what their big secret is? How to get a bunch of monkeys to treat them like gods and drool on their dollars as they fork 'em over and make them rich. You go back and take a good, objective look at this forum and then try to say again that noone is looking for something. Why the FUCK! would anyone want to know, for the fun of knowing, what elements the letters in a word make? Secretly, you're all waiting for someone to 'figure it out' thinking you can smear it on your balls and turn into a god, like your idols. You want something to learn and expand your knowledge? Get a fucking clue.

and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye
Old 03-07-2004, 12:18 PM   #180
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grudge
This is an amazing fucking thread...Great job...but I dont think it has anything to do with what Tool intended, it was fun to read though and I learned alot...

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Excellent opinion!
Although, the question is "did you learn anything useful?"

I didn't...
Old 03-07-2004, 01:34 PM   #181
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Wow, Its been over a year now since I posted my theory on an average boring school day, in the rarely visted school library. A year and countless posts later Im still unsure of what sparked this theory. Even if its not the actual meaning Im still proud of it. Look how long this thing has lived for I've never seen it off of the first page. Over 7,000 Tool fans have read this and close to 200 have replied. TWO HUNDRED! Thats why I love the tool fan base. Intellect. I have never seen a band create such a big web of thinking. I never thought there would be so many people who agreed with the theory. A board I used to be a member of always flamed my theories. Too them everything I mean everything was JUNG JUNG JUNG. Don't get me wrong I feel theres a presence of Jungian Psychology in some of the songs but I also think theres more than that. And even if there wasn't look at the spark it created in our thinking and puzzle piecing. I truely think that this post this thread deserves a little boasting not just for me but for all you who gave it more structure (The Oscar awards music cuts in, Telling me my to finish up)
So thanks again everyone and keep this thing alive
Old 03-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #182
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corps d'allumen
I think people are looking for the 'holy grail.' I think if Tool came out tommorow and said "this is the meaning of life" then two-thirds of the jackasses here would say "I knew it!! I told you!!" when really they didn't know shit, just copying each others "interesting and fascinating clues to learn and expand our knowledge." pretending to know something important. Want to know what their big secret is? How to get a bunch of monkeys to treat them like gods and drool on their dollars as they fork 'em over and make them rich. You go back and take a good, objective look at this forum and then try to say again that noone is looking for something. Why the FUCK! would anyone want to know, for the fun of knowing, what elements the letters in a word make? Secretly, you're all waiting for someone to 'figure it out' thinking you can smear it on your balls and turn into a god, like your idols. You want something to learn and expand your knowledge? Get a fucking clue.

and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye
Why are you so mad. All we are doing is expanding our minds. You like to bring people down don't you. Im sorry you feel that way. We all are looking for something in life thats what makes it worth living. The journey for knowledge. And in all the interviews I've read with Maynard offer a different view of what you say. According to what he said in the interviews he wants his fans to learn and gain knowledge thats why he doesnt give out his meanings. He wants you to get something more out of it that a few programmed body movements. Were having fun doing this while your pissed off alone so why don't you quit while your ahead and join the side that has fun with music.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #183
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainednarf1014
We all are looking for something in life thats what makes it worth living.
So true,
I'd argue the real meaning of Lateralus, lies within us all.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:06 PM   #184
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainednarf1014
Why are you so mad. All we are doing is expanding our minds. You like to bring people down don't you. Im sorry you feel that way. We all are looking for something in life thats what makes it worth living. The journey for knowledge. And in all the interviews I've read with Maynard offer a different view of what you say. According to what he said in the interviews he wants his fans to learn and gain knowledge thats why he doesnt give out his meanings. He wants you to get something more out of it that a few programmed body movements. Were having fun doing this while your pissed off alone so why don't you quit while your ahead and join the side that has fun with music.
First: I'm not Maynard, and I don't much care that you think I don't have the same opinion. I probably don't. To quote an overly quoted quote, "Think for yourself, question authority."

Second: LIFE is what makes life worth living. True, the quest for knowledge is important, as knowledge expands the mind. But the question is "what is truly trivial information?" If all this... stuff... makes your life worth living, as you said, then hooray for you.

Third: TOOL doesn't readily give the meanings to THEIR songs because THEIR songs are designed to help you learn and gain knowledge of yourself. All this extraneous information usually doesn't help you learn anything else but more extraneous information. If learning the atomic numbers to an album title helps you understand yourself better, good for you. In fact, help me understand how it relates; frankly, I don't see how it ever could...

Fourth: I really don't like to bring people down, although I know I come across that way at times. I am mad, but at the fact that the majority is abusing this band's message to fufill their own insecurities; you're not expanding your mind as much as you are clouding it. I've learned by living life that lots of really important things are not fun. Growth is not fun; growth is painful. Some of the greatest things ever come from extreme pain, just ask your mother. Real life and growth from its experiences comes from living it, not reading or listening or studying it, but living it. Take inspiration from everything and do something positive with it, but remember, it's just an inspiration. How can you live the atomic numbers? How do they help you relate and interact better with yourself or your fellow human beings? The point of TOOL's music is to open your eyes to everything else, not just their music/lyrics/artwork. That is unless you want to be a Tool expert, in which case, sorry to inform you, no universities offer degrees in TooLOLogy yet...

Lastly: It pisses me off to the Nth degree when people say things like, ::ahem::
"If you do not wish to participate, then don't. No one is forcing you, really... and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye!" People have the right to tell someone that they're doing or saying something stupid, and they have the right to defend themselves. It's called a debate. But in this case specifically, the guy said 'I mean we're not looking for the holy grail here,' and he had the best point in this forum. So the other one tells him to leave because of it... How can this music inspire your life if all you do is dissect the inspiration to get the 'hidden message.' (and more than likely, there isn't one to the degree you think.) The real message, especially in this song, is right in front of your face. "Embrace my desire to feel inspired," not feel inspired to butt-rape someone's music. Maybe on a less tolerating level, "Take what you want and then go." Quote: "In a perfect world, people in general will hear the album, be inspired and do something extraordinary... I get resentful and upset when people don't use their heads about stuff. It upsets me when people are selling themselves short and letting themselves down, wether it's education or information." Hmmm, that sounds so familliar... So keep your fun group, i choose to live.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:05 AM   #185
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 61

this post may be coming a bit late, but I still would like to include my 2 cents. They are random, and possibly coincidences just like lots of the info we have come up with

the ear drum, or tempanic membrane, has another name. It is the later ligament of malleus. combine lateral and the us from malleus, and you get lateralus. You can't hear anything without your eardrum, and since this is music I figure that may be one of the many reasons for the album title
Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #186
Level 4 - Thinker

why are we here (on this thread)

i feel that as someone who has posted on this thread that i was one of the many people corps d'allumen. though i can only speak for myself, i would like to say that i am not here to find any holy grail or undiscovered secret, nor to expand my mind. i am trying to find for myself the underlying meaning of lateralus so that i can understand TOOL MUSIC AND TOOL MUSIC ONLY. all through tool songs there are allusions and double meanings. just off the top of my head i think of the quote "Saturn ascends" from Grudge. if i did not look for what that meant, i could think it means a planet, when really after thinking and talking to other people i believe that it is talking about the roman god. though i do not believe in roman gods, now that i know who saturn was, i can think about what the lyrics really mean.
i don't think that anyone can fully understand the music, which is all that i'm trying to find here, without knowing things about the band, all these allusions, and the bits of information that the band leaves for us in places like their websites and the song titles.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 AM   #187
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I am mad, but at the fact that the majority is abusing this band's message to fufill their own insecurities; you're not expanding your mind as much as you are clouding it.
That is one hell of an assertion that needs a lot of explaining. I have a hard time believing you would happen to know the lot of the people writing in this post good enough, to point out that we are abusing the bands message to fulfil our own insecurities. Really, seriously how can you make a judgement like that from what has been written in an internet forum? Please elaborate...

Quote:
The point of TOOL's music is to open your eyes to everything else, not just their music/lyrics/artwork.
Again, how do you know that? How would it be possible for you to know the point of Tool’s music? You might be right, but the point of the music should in fact rely on the listener? Tool being Tool, I agree with you that there the band are conveying messages to it’s listeners. But really you have to search for it yourself… it works on a number of levels. It is possible to enjoy the music without knowing anything of the band and vice versa.
There is no right or wrong when listening to Tool or music in general.

And are we only discussing their music/lyrics/artwork? No, actually we are way beyond that. The first posts took Tool’s music/lyrics/artwork as a point of departure and several post later we’ve been places, seen things, learned bits and pieces that I for one wouldn’t have thought off only listening to the music, reading the lyrics and looking at the artwork.

So are we in fact not opening our eyes to everything else but the music/lyrics/artwork of Tool? I think we are...

Quote:
Lastly: It pisses me off to the Nth degree when people say things like, ::ahem::
’If you do not wish to participate, then don't. No one is forcing you, really... and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye!’ People have the right to tell someone that they're doing or saying something stupid, and they have the right to defend themselves. It's called a debate.
Yes, you’re right. It is called a debate. But as much as you have the right defend yourself and tell us that you think we are doing something stupid, as much right I have to defend myself and show someone the door. I can’t force anyone to leave? But I could give him or her the impression that I don’t care if he or she participates and hope that he or she would then leave.

Quote:
But in this case specifically, the guy said 'I mean we're not looking for the holy grail here,' and he had the best point in this forum.
Again, that is something you think. I don’t agree, I think it was a somewhat indiscrete way of telling many of the people here not to be enthusiastic about something which they obviously enjoy doing? Reading this thread it should be obvious that most of the people writing here is not third graders or stupid bozos and why then should it be necessary to tell them that they are not looking for the Holy Grail? Don’t you think they know?

Quote:
How can this music inspire your life if all you do is dissect the inspiration to get the 'hidden message.”
Perhaps it would inspire someone to read a book about physics or chemistry, I don't know? How would anyone know how it might inspire ‘us’? The mind is a tricky monster; you never know what starts a thought that might lead to pretty pictures, deep poetry or a great songs?

You might as well turn it around and ask yourself, how can it inspire your life to sit on your ass and criticize people for going in depth with something they obviously enjoy doing? That a question just as dumb as yours!

Quote:
The real message, especially in this song, is right in front of your face. "Embrace my desire to feel inspired," not feel inspired to butt-rape someone's music. Maybe on a less tolerating level, "Take what you want and then go.
Oh! Now I get it. I see you really do know the real message. Bravo and bravura! But… do you mind if we look into it ourselves? It’s great that you have an opinion on the message of the song Lateralus, but frankly we we’re discussing the album in its entirety. And even more important… just because you see that specific message, doesn’t make it the real message. We might see something else.

Quote:
Quote: "In a perfect world, people in general will hear the album, be inspired and do something extraordinary... I get resentful and upset when people don't use their heads about stuff. It upsets me when people are selling themselves short and letting themselves down, wether it's education or information." Hmmm, that sounds so familliar... So keep your fun group, i choose to live.
What extraordinary stuff have you been up to lately, corps d'allumen? Except from telling us that we cover our insecurities in the music/lyrics/artwork of Tool, revealing to us all the real meaning of the song Lateralus and enlightening us of the do’s and don’ts of inspiration?

In fact I am very glad you ended the post like you did - Yes, you choose to live… and you chose to end a post about us not being inspired, original and how we buttrape other people’s art with a quote from the very people you accuse us of buttraping. Who is the real buttraper here then?

Last edited by polarforsker; 03-10-2004 at 07:26 AM..
Old 03-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #188
Level 7 - Loquacious

Actually, I ended it that way to insinuate that maybe those people kinda do share the same opinion as me, with people selling themselves short or letting themselves down. what will you (informal) do when they're gone? even better (or worse), what will happen if there is no 'divine' message shrouded in mystery? You (informal) are not living, going as far as what you (informal) do with all this nonsense. I've revealed no 'true' meaning, to phrase it that way. I've only stated what is the clear and obvious message right in front of you (informal). What's funny is that most nobody takes it (or most anything) at face value; it all has to be some mysterious riddle. Maybe it is...

Ass for the "do's and don'ts" of inspiration, how could most any of this be positive? It's like Jesus. All he was really saying is 'love one another' and 'treat them as you'd want to be treated.' He had a good message, then it got sodomized. Look at the past 2000 years of the "don'ts of inspiration" there. Not insinuating any correlation, just an example. As for covering insecurities, I have yet to read anyone's post discussing something that Tool has said, (paraprasing) "READ THIS." Remember the book lists of many moons ago? Or even better, something that directly, and I mean directly, relates to the music. No one discusses, for example, Carl or Drunvalo specifically. And if someone does, there's always someone else to challenge it, like the terms taken Specifically out of those texts, aren't really those terms, but some great undiscovered irrelevant mystery. For example, almost any '46&2' post will discuss any far out, for lack of a better phrase, theory. But I've yet to read one that says "well, I've read 'The Portable Jung,' and in it is says this about personally understanding this, or "I've done some heavy research on Melchizadek, and He goes into great detail about this or that."
Have an opinion, be vocal about it, but be rational and informed. People want to have other people to relate with, it's basic psychology; no one wants to be alone in being or thought. Some of these posts are nothing more than that. It's good that people can get together and share ideas, but when it comes down to it, it seems that nobody's really listening to the music for what it says at face value, but over-analysing everything. You can listen to the song and hear what it says about that, or you can subdue yourself with the fibbonaci sequence or the chemical process of 'La Te Ra Lu S."
Gotta go, I'll finish this later.

Last edited by corps d'allumen; 03-11-2004 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-12-2004, 04:15 AM   #189
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Actually, I ended it that way to insinuate that maybe those people kinda do share the same opinion as me, with people selling themselves short or letting themselves down. what will you (informal) do when they're gone? even better (or worse), what will happen if there is no 'divine' message shrouded in mystery? You (informal) are not living, going as far as what you (informal) do with all this nonsense. I've revealed no 'true' meaning, to phrase it that way. I've only stated what is the clear and obvious message right in front of you (informal). What's funny is that most nobody takes it (or most anything) at face value; it all has to be some mysterious riddle. Maybe it is...

Ass for the "do's and don'ts" of inspiration, how could most any of this be positive? It's like Jesus. All he was really saying is 'love one another' and 'treat them as you'd want to be treated.' He had a good message, then it got sodomized. Look at the past 2000 years of the "don'ts of inspiration" there. Not insinuating any correlation, just an example. As for covering insecurities, I have yet to read anyone's post discussing something that Tool has said, (paraprasing) "READ THIS." Remember the book lists of many moons ago? Or even better, something that directly, and I mean directly, relates to the music. No one discusses, for example, Carl or Drunvalo specifically. And if someone does, there's always someone else to challenge it, like the terms taken Specifically out of those texts, aren't really those terms, but some great undiscovered irrelevant mystery. For example, almost any '46&2' post will discuss any far out, for lack of a better phrase, theory. But I've yet to read one that says "well, I've read 'The Portable Jung,' and in it is says this about personally understanding this, or "I've done some heavy research on Melchizadek, and He goes into great detail about this or that."
Have an opinion, be vocal about it, but be rational and informed. People want to have other people to relate with, it's basic psychology; no one wants to be alone in being or thought. Some of these posts are nothing more than that. It's good that people can get together and share ideas, but when it comes down to it, it seems that nobody's really listening to the music for what it says at face value, but over-analysing everything. You can listen to the song and hear what it says about that, or you can subdue yourself with the fibbonaci sequence or the chemical process of 'La Te Ra Lu S."
Gotta go, I'll finish this later.
It is a matter of perspective really isn't it? Whether you chose to take it at face value or like to go deeper. Only I can't see how the one excludes the other?

Now I wont disturb your thoughts further... I look forward to the sequel.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #190
Banned.

Bincount™: 165

I would have to say that it is just a nice/cool/awesome way to type lateralus out on the cover.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #191
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
what will happen if there is no 'divine' message shrouded in mystery?
when i am researching what the meaning of Lateralus is, it is not to find some divine message or some holy grail. i try this to understand four people, who got together as TOOL to play the best music in the world.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:01 PM   #192
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
It is a matter of perspective really isn't it? Whether you chose to take it at face value or like to go deeper. Only I can't see how the one excludes the other?

Now I wont disturb your thoughts further... I look forward to the sequel.
I really didn't plan to finish this; in retrospect, I don't know why I said I would finish it later... I must have been sleepy...

Not to disappoint, here is the sequel.

Mike Patton is a genius...

Can you feel it, see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it cuz it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight
You can touch it, smell it, taste it so sweet
But it makes no difference cuz it knocks you off your feet
You want it all but you can't have it
It's cryin', bleedin', lying on the floor
So you lay down on it and you do it some more
You've got to share it, so you dare it
Then you bare it and you tear it
It's in your face but you can't grab it
It's alive, afraid, a lie, a sin
It's magic, it's tragic, it's a loss, it's a win
It's dark, it's moist, it's a bitter pain
It's sad it happened and it's a shame
It's in your face but you can't grab it
"What is it?"
It's it
"What is it?..."
Old 03-18-2004, 10:09 PM   #193
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1256
when i am researching what the meaning of Lateralus is, it is not to find some divine message or some holy grail. i try this to understand four people, who got together as TOOL to play the best music in the world.
Use the tool to research yourself. Dig deep, and deeper still, until there is nothing left unknown of yourself. Clear it all away until the only thing left is a body of light.

P.S. 'Best music in the world' is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?
The world is a pretty big place...
Old 03-18-2004, 11:04 PM   #194
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Tool plays good music? Tool plays incredible good music! New meanig to LaTeRaLus: Lateral us.....find us.....postion us.....
I like your opinion. I think of it like they're saying lateral-us, like "we are lateral." And that view of it, to me, gives a good meaning to the supposed misprint of 'lateral-is' on older copies. (In fact, I bought a new copy 2 years after it came out, and it still said 'is'...) The song has a definite 'instruction' or statement-of-purpose feel to it, esp. the breakdown part with "embrace my desire to..." etc. Being lateral, like US, IS this. Spiral out, keep going on and on to enevitable nothingness and infinity; the reduction of matter to the essence of everything...
"To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human."

http://www.merkaba.org/audio/bluerace.mp3
(I don't much trust any org. that asks for money, but this information is pure.)
Old 03-21-2004, 10:49 PM   #195
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Also, if you listen Faaip de Oiad the caller talks about extra terrastials, maybe they want to be found.
Hmm, I don`t think so, it`s more positioning us in today`s society/world/way to live.
I'm not very sure what you're talking about; which goes with what?
If your second line refers to my interpretation of the song, it's more or less the same as yours. That is what a statement-of-purpose is, stating your intentions.

Last edited by corps d'allumen; 03-21-2004 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #196
Level 7 - Loquacious

[QUOTE=m4yn4rd
ok well they all are elements, now is it possible anyone can get their hands on these, i doubt it, if so that would be cool, watch you mix it and a 3d puff of gas forms into maynards head[/QUOTE]

I would fucking buy the world's supply
Old 03-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #197
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: just a thought?

Quote:
Perhaps this is the key to all the Tool mysteries?!

So if Maynard wants people to use their minds... he's has done one hell of job making you guys do it!

I'm not saying it's all bogus and hoax, but in theory you've proven yourself right... and Maynard must be proud!

(interesting theory on the lateralus title nevertheless, keep it going) :)
I think everyone who has posted on here has that thought in the back of their minds. Think about it. Tool has made us all think. From Astrology(The Grudge) to Sacred Geometry (in particular, Lateralus), to expanding and reaching out (Basically Lateralus the album).

We have all become smarter by liking Tool, and I hope they are proud. We've opened up our minds and at least done a little soul searching.

Remember, it isn't the answer; the question is what drives you. If he gave us all the answers, we'd be stupid. Read the quote, he wants us to find out for ourselves, not to sit and learn, but to search and be educated..

Tool is full of metaphors, and we are still striving to figure half of them out. Thank you Tool, thank you.

And guys, don't come here right after you hear a song. Try and find your own meaning behind it. If it's way off, that's ok. At least you stand somewhere by yourself.

Keep learning, open up... and find your heightened state of mind...
Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #198
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Phone #

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingOpiate
it's not a phone number....I called it....got one of those stupid recordings.....
haha.. you're thinking...that's good...

Maybe it's some European number?

Haha I wonder what that'd lead to
Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #199
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
You`re right, when someone thinks this is the best music, it`s personal, other people can think you`re best music is crap....but to me Tool is the best.
Yeah... that's why I get mad at people who are like "this sucks" or "this is the shit"

I'm glad you like/don't like it, but keep that to yourself.

Don't become a tool; get your own opinion :)
Old 03-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #200
Level 7 - Loquacious

true... but if you get a meaning out of music, it has a meaning for you... just because it isn't your taste doesn't mean another hates it...

not everyone likes tool... sucks but you have to accept it. Some think Tool are your R&B... what would you have to say to that?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: