opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 11-14-2003, 03:59 AM   #121
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 322
Re: New Meaning To the World La-Te-Ra-Lu-s

well said corps d'allumen

I too have come to a similar realization, however it is probably more of a goal than an achievement.

Just to clear a few things up, the translation was in greek, which is the only other language than hebrew TMK that uses a numerical=language translation. The direct translation was "Strive towards ignorance permanantly and completely." IT seemed like this was more than a coincidence to me since it spelled out a fluent sentence as well as an altered cliche. if you read the lyrics with this in mind, especially the song lateralus, you will begin to see the correlation. This bit of knowledge haunts me daily, and i wish to rid myself of it and subsequent information. I've stopped my previous lifestyle and am working to recover, hopefully to become at ease with my self/soul. Each day i struggle with something that syncs up, some sort of sign that things are not as they seem. I do my best to ignore them, hopefully they go away...
Old 11-19-2003, 08:36 AM   #122
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

good observation i have to wonder is it broken into 5 at first, then coming together to make one as a reflection on schism the song is about working something out(combining of the 5 elements) plus in the song the 2nd verse says"i know the pieces fit cuz i watched them tumble down no fault,none to blame it doesn't mean i don't desire to point the finger,blame the other,watch the temple topple over.to bring the pieces back together,rediscover communication.."could the division of the 5 elemental parts that we first see,get slowly rebuilt as the disc goes through? schism just happens to fall in the middle of the song listing almost as an unconcious attempt to reassure the listener that what might not be of a palatable nature at first will unify and make it more accesible to the newcomer or the strictly radio/MTV consumer not as privvy as the ones who are in the know. theres much more to this equation than is clear to the above average try as a deconstruction of it all..........
drop acid, and then bush
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:33 PM   #123
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

This thred is amazing; I have learnt a lot and found some new interests. I am thrilled by what people have found from just 9 letters.

I have thought about the link between the title of the album/song and the song itself in relation to this thred, and have come up with the following:
This song is not about finding the ideals of a philosopher (the stone etc), it is more a warning of what trying to do so, might do to you:
"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines."

This song could also be a reference to what the band feels the priest's deadbed confession was? It seems implied that the priest has found out the philosophers' secret (or at lest that is what I have infered).

It could also be a warning from maynard or other members, that trying to find the alchemist's goals is >not< possible, "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind".

Reading through the ideas of Hermes from the Tablet, though I might be wrong, the process sounds what Jesus has done. He came down from heaven, died, went from earth (though not to heaven straight away), came back and then assended.

I have to say though, your knowledge of Necular Decay is laughable comapred to the other information you have come up with.

In a neuclar weapon, Hydrogen was used, ionised, as the nuetron to split the Plutonium atom, which then spends out more nuetrons and 3 types of radiation: Alpha, Beta and Gama. Alpha is, I think, the proton and is the heaviest and slowest radioactive partical. Beta is the electron, the lightest partical and quickest partical. Gama is an electromagnetic wave, which is the fastest radiation, and has no weight due to being a wave not a partical.

Also, has anyone noticed the number of repeated lines?...
I embrace my desire to
I embrace my desire to

feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
to swing on the spiral

to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.

It would be 9, if it were not for the line in italics... (it only being a repeating end of a line, not a whole line)... and as it says, the constant use of the number 9, not 7 as you would imagine with the alchemy etc.

I think that's everything I wanted to say... again, well done in continuing to think this far, I am very impressed.

And of course, if lateralus is only thinking about thinking literally, we've all thought quite literally for the meanings of such relationships, particularly, the 46 & 2 reference impressed me.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:41 AM   #124
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

for very thorough and literate information regarding: Sauniere & the parchments & Rennes; the secret (pythagorean) geometry contained within the parchments, as well as, in paintings by Teniers and Poussin (to name a couple) and a few relevant headstones; how this geometry pertains to the geographics of the area, the placement of churches and 'markers', and some important dates of 'things'; plus lots more too long to get into here, read
'The Tomb of God' by Andrew Richards. this is the most in-depth book on the subject i've read to date. very informative.

jesus Felt unconditional love; he didn't carry an over-analysed equasion of it in his pocket, he carried it in his heart. moreover, it was infused with the very fibers of his being. the definition of 'christ-consciousness', 46&2, is an infusion of unconditional love into your being.

gamma rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation, just as ALL LIGHT is electromagnetic radiation, just of different wavelengths. gamma rays have the shortest wavelengths. also, it was a. einstein who concluded that light is a particle that behaves like a wave, as well as being a wave that behaves like a particle. a paradox? a positron, produced in thermonuclear fusion, is an electron with a positive charge... the perils of physics.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:41 PM   #125
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryWohlwend
Just to clear a few things up, the translation was in greek, which is the only other language than hebrew TMK that uses a numerical=language translation. The direct translation was "Strive towards ignorance permanantly and completely."
Okay, you've confused me a bit here. From what I understand, you took the atomic numbers from the elements La, Te, Ra, Lu, and S (57, 52, 88, 71, and 16 respectively) and used those numbers to decipher a message inscribed with Greek numerology. However, when I cross referenced with the link you provided (http://www.sacrednamebible.com/kjvstrongs/STRINDEX.htm) I wasn't able to find the same message that you did.

57 (La) - (unknown)
52 (Te) - Ignorance
88 (Ra) - Permanent; without ceasing
71 (Lu) - properly, to lead; by implication, to bring, drive, (reflexively) go, (specially) pass (time), or (figuratively) induce:--be, bring (forth), carry, (let) go, keep, lead away, be open.
16 (S) - well-doing

I'm not sure if this is worthwhile, but I did some reading into about the aforementioned elements (I even added in Li, on the off chance that the Lateralis mistake wasn't a mistake after all)and found some parallels between the words they are derived from and alchemy:

Visita -- Visit
Interiora -- the interior
Terrae -- of the earth;
Rectificando -- in rectifying,
Invenies -- discover
Occultum -- the hidden
Lapidem -- stone.

La -- From the Greek word "lanthanein" meaning "to lie hidden"
Te -- From the Latin word "tellus" meaning "earth"
Ra -- From the Latin word "radius" meaning "ray"
Lu -- From the Greek word "Lutetia" meaning "Paris"
S -- From the Sanskrit word "sulvere" meaning "sulphur"; also from the Latin word "sulphurium" meaning "sulphur"

Li -- From the Greek word "lithos" meaning "stone", apparently because it was discovered from a mineral source whereas the other two common Group 1 elements, sodium and potassium, were discovered from plant sources.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #126
Level 1 - Lurker

lol....this is pretty funny if you think about...all us tool fans trying to find some secret hidden message or chemical or something from our interpretation of the word "Lateralus". Not that i think this is stupid...I often like to analyse things to try and find coincidental connections...but honestly....do you really think that they would research on chemical compounds and Latin meanings and connect all these possible interpretations of the word with the lyrics in their songs and make hidden instructions on how to find out what it means just for an album? I mean we're not looking for the holy grail here.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 374

This is an amazing fucking thread...Great job...but I dont think it has anything to do with what Tool intended, it was fun to read though and I learned alot...

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Last edited by The Grudge; 11-25-2003 at 01:41 PM..
Old 11-26-2003, 10:07 AM   #128
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MclT
lol....this is pretty funny if you think about...all us tool fans trying to find some secret hidden message or chemical or something from our interpretation of the word "Lateralus". Not that i think this is stupid...I often like to analyse things to try and find coincidental connections...but honestly....do you really think that they would research on chemical compounds and Latin meanings and connect all these possible interpretations of the word with the lyrics in their songs and make hidden instructions on how to find out what it means just for an album? I mean we're not looking for the holy grail here.
It's not taken us very long, and they take several years to make an album... besides, knowledge = power and power currupts... sort of backs up my earlier idea of the song being more of a warning ;)
Old 11-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #129

Bincount™: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanics
Also, has anyone noticed the number of repeated lines?...
yes, that has to do with the fibinucci(sp?) sequence...

Quote:
Tool puts deep thought into everything they do, no one ever said it was a secret message, its just there, Im sure maynard isnt sitting ont the edge of his seat waiting for us to descover this, because he'd be sitting waiting for us to discover something about everything they've done... it got thought, believe me
Old 11-26-2003, 04:28 PM   #130
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleOfThree
Remember something important...

La, Te, Ra and Lu are all metals. Although they react to a certain extent with each other, the only element that would cause a major change with any of them would be Sulfur, in that it isn't a metal.

Mabe you should look into something like how Sulfur reacts with each of the metals. You might get more compelling or productive results.
Maybe a thought like this was already posted but since we have 4 elements that are all metals and then 1 that makes each one radically different, the 4 elements could be in reference to each of the 4 members of Tool and then sulfur represents a driving force or something.

Please elaborate.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #131
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtool
987 is the 16th Fibonachi #. S=16. probably is coincidence.

First time I've seen this thread. Pretty impressive.
good idea about the fibonacci being #16 for 987.
sulfur.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:53 AM   #132
Level 1 - Lurker

Just curious why there are several references to the Jewish Kabbalah but none to the English. The 26 letters in the English Alphabet (the language Tool uses lyrically) changes numerical meanings significantly I think. A more personal note: Maynard does not know all, I do not think the purpose of the album is to educate in alchemy/astrology/qabala beliefs but perhaps to just reflect the discoveries of the band's own person journey. I think if we look at our own discoveries more as a tentative finding rather than a breach of some ornate code Tool expects us to decipher, our findings may seem more valid. I LOVE this thread.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:11 AM   #133
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 322

75 52 88 (71+16)87 'how it appears on the album cover'
Strive towards ignorance permanantly and completely

i guess i messed up, i switched the 7 and the 5 around, which makes me even more curious. my life seems to be telling me something, something i don't like, nor want to hear.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:18 AM   #134
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

this thread has amazed me... i dont know much on alchemy so i think i might contribute by agreeing with you guys that; by listening to tool, and doing extensive philosophical research, i have become, simply to say, very depressed... but i crave for knowledge, and the more i learn about the reality we live in, the more depressed i get... its as though learning the truth has a penalty... or maybe its because the truth hurts...

i find it relevant to say- "somethnig kinda sad about the way that things have come to be" because this is exactly how i feel... everything seems so different now, its like i am waking up from this dream, from the material world, and gradually becoming more spiritually aware... its a pain because i can feel myself disconnecting from society.

so, i guess what i have to say, is a confirmation for all those who understand what i mean, and also a warning for those who aren't sure what they are getting into... its simple, if you want to live a "regular" life (and im not one for sterio typing) then do "regular" things, in other words, dont take interest in philosophy (coming back to that ignorance theme) because it will sweep you off your feet... but its too late for me to turn back now, i have learnt too much...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #135
Level 4 - Thinker

I gotta sat this thread is fucking awesome. Never thought of this at all...I must say after readin everyone's posts, that i think it has something to do with the track grouping...Disp/Refl/Tri with Lus. How, I have no idea.....Maynard however....He continues to say we should explore our ideas, I reckon he's lying and guiding us away from his definative reasoning...I mean he must have a view on why he chooses the name, he just chooses not to tell us....
Old 12-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #136
Banned.

just remembered... adding rabidium to water makes a decent explosion.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:40 PM   #137
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I dont no if someone already said this because i really dont want to or have the time to waste reading 4 straight pages of this but i rember reading some and alot of people saying La-Te-Ra-Lu-S (as materials on the peridodic table of elements), when put togethor, cannot equal anything. I think thats the biggest clue. the album has lyrics refering to the quabala, astorlogy, and spirituality. when you put these two facts togethor, this is what you get. La-Te-Ra-Lu-S (reffering to the album name and elements togethor) can not equal anything, HERE in the physical world, the world that you and I are apart of at this moment. We must reach a higher level, reach a higher plain, to fully understand this combonation. As the human body has the copasaty to do so. Being caught up in this material world and being caught up in this technilogical age, we completely forgot about what WE as humans can do with are body minds and soul. Without the help of computers. To try and open your third eye and be completly indepenent you must look at both worlds physical and spiritual. All of this is subject to Maynards lyrics in the album. Maybe im just talking a whole lot of meaningless bs but im not trying to. So think about it.

(pardon the spelling)
Old 01-04-2004, 03:00 AM   #138
Level 7 - Loquacious

wow man, thats really enlightening, and whether the album is actually about that or not you still make a lot of sense. good work. its also good to see a post supporting my ideas of the spiritual and material world.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #139
Level 3 - Talker

This is the most interesting thread I have seen on here, and I like the direction it's taking us. I was very interested in the alchemy theory-that the elements La Te Ra Lu and S could create gold- but I think the answer to Lateralus is in the seven Chakras. Lateralus has seven real songs, if you count parabol(a) as one song, and disp/refl/triad as one song. There are also seven chakras in the human body. My theory is that each song is about a chakra.

The Grudge-Chakra 1
Earth, Physical identity, oriented to self-preservation
Located at the base of the spine, this chakra forms our foundation. It represents the element earth, and is therefore related to our survival instincts, and to our sense of grounding and connection to our bodies and the physical plane. Ideally this chakra brings us health, prosperity, security, and dynamic presence.
This song is about our survival-calculate what we will and will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything.

The Patient-2
Water, Emotional identity, oriented to self-gratification
The second chakra, located in the abdomen, lower back, and sexual organs, is related to the element water, and to emotions and sexuality. It connects us to others through feeling, desire, sensation, and movement. Ideally this chakra brings us fluidity and grace, depth of feeling, sexual fulfillment, and the ability to accept change.
In this song, the person is patient in accepting change.

Schism-3
Fire, Ego identity, oriented to self-definition
This chakra is known as the power chakra, located in the solar plexus. It rules our personal power, will, and autonomy, as well as our metabolism. When healthy, this chakra brings us energy, effectiveness, spontaneity, and non-dominating power.
I think the video explains this one.

Parabola-4
Air, Social identity, oriented to self-acceptance
This chakra is called the heart chakra and is the middle chakra in a system of seven. It is related to love and is the integrator of opposites in the psyche: mind and body, male and female, persona and shadow, ego and unity. A healthy fourth chakra allows us to love deeply, feel compassion, have a deep sense of peace and centeredness.
This song is all about celebrating being alive and finally discovering that we are two parts-body and mind.

Ticks and Leeches-5
Sound, Creative identity, oriented to self-expression
This is the chakra located in the throat and is thus related to communication and creativity. Here we experience the world symbolically through vibration, such as the vibration of sound representing language.
The person is expressing himself for the first time now that he knows he is not alone.

Lateralus-6
Light, Archetypal identity, oriented to self-reflection
This chakra is known as the brow chakra or third eye center. It is related to the act of seeing, both physically and intuitively. As such it opens our psychic faculties and our understanding of archetypal levels. When healthy it allows us to see clearly, in effect, letting us "see the big picture."
"Over-thinking over-analysing seperates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines"

Resolution(Disp/Refl/Triad)-7
Thought, Universal identity, oriented to self-knowledge
This is the crown chakra that relates to consciousness as pure awareness. It is our connection to the greater world beyond, to a timeless, spaceless place of all-knowing. When developed, this chakra brings us knowledge, wisdom, understanding, spiritual connection, and bliss.
"And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ..."

I don't know if any of this is right, someone else let me know what they think.

Chakra information from http://www.sacredcenters.com/chakras.html

Last edited by _La_te_ra_lus_; 01-09-2004 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Added Website
Old 01-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #140
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanics
just remembered... adding rabidium to water makes a decent explosion.
sorry wrong element :p that's rubidasomething. lol...

Tool seem to relate a lot of their songs to the chakras; do you think they work?

The hardest thing with analysing lateralus, for me, is defining whether the "over thinking" is a warning or a sort of instruction, as in "think, concentrate what you would see as too much", but the words "withering, my intuition" seem wrong for something you would do purposly.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:11 AM   #141
Level 2 - Poster

ALCHEMY - The Great Work

First up, this is a really interesting thread, and everyone has come up with some damn good theories and put a lot of effort into research. OK, so I'm new to board; but basically I'm into the occult, so I'm fairly fluent in Crowleyana, etc, and kind of specialise in Alchemy, the Kaballah, Gematria, Demonology, etc.
Anyway, enough with the introductions, lets get down to business.

OK, for all those who are interested, here is some new info + a re-cap on ALCHEMY.

The transmutation of base metal in to gold (via the use of the 'Philosopher's Stone').

*nods*

That is what alchemy is. That is pretty much it. Now, how you choose to interpret that, however, is up to you. There are basically three levels of interpretation, here's a rundown on them:

Puffers: A puffer is pretty much someone who is into Alchemy to turn some garden variety lead into gold, and then sell this gold for big bucks. They're basically materialistic.

Advanced Puffers: OK, these guys are after the Philosopher's Stone not just to turn metal into gold, but to turn themselves from mortal into immortal (eg: Comte St. Germain).

Transcendentalists: If Tool are, indeed, alchemists, I would think they are of this variety. 'Lead' is basically a metaphor for the primal self, the base material that we are all born into. Through the use of the Philospher's Stone/Path of Alchemy/The Enlightened Path/Whatever You Choose To Call It, one turns their 'leaden' self into 'gold': a transcendant form.

Point of fact: the transcendent individual has to become basically hermaphrodite (according to some views); that is, they have to fully accept and integrate their female aspect into themselves (ie: integrate their ANIMA into themselves [from the male perspective], or the ANIMUS into themselves [female perspective].

(more in next post - I'll try and break up the subjects into separate posts)
Old 01-11-2004, 06:27 AM   #142
Level 2 - Poster

Also, here's some info on the other subjects that have popped up (my two cents worth anyways):

Hermes Trismegistus: OK, this guy is credited as the founder of alchemy (whether he really existed or not is up for debate), and he supposedly carried around with him an emerald tablet/table/stone (the 'Tabula Smaragdina') which had this written on it (this translation is from the appendices in the back of Agrippa's 'Three Books of Occult Philosophy'):

"It is true, without falsehood, and most certain.

What is below is like that which is above; and what is above is like that which is below: to accomplish the miracle of the one thing.

As all things were formed from one, by the thought of one, so all things are born from this one thing, by choice.

Its father is the Sun, its mother the Moon, the Wind carries it in it's belly, its nurse is the Earth.

It is the author of all perfection throughout the world.

The power is strong when changed into Earth.

Separate the Earth from the Fire, the subtle from the gross, gently and with care.

Ascend from Earth to Heaven, and descend again to Earth, to unite the power of higher and lower things; thus you will obtain the glory of the whole World, and the shadows will leave you.

This has more strength than strength itself, for it overcomes all subtle things and penetrates every solid.

Thus the world was framed.

Hence proceed wonders, which means are here.

Therefore I am Hermes Trismegistus, having the three parts of world philosophy.

That which I had to say of the operation of the Sun is perfected."

OK, so that's the Emerald Tablet (I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with it, sorry to bore you if you already knew it). Yeah, so that's why alchemist's often refer to themselves as the 'Sons of Hermes', after the semi-mythical figure Hermes Trismegistus.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:38 AM   #143
Level 2 - Poster

Random add ons (sorry about these damn lengthy posts) :)

*The Emerald Tablet has thirteen sentences (an important numer in Occult circles - it's also theorised that there were originally thirteen months [lunar calendar], with Arachne being the thirteenth star sign). Lateralus has thirteen songs (not to mention the Thirteenth Step).

*Alchemy (as I said before) involves incorporation of the Anima into the self ---> Tool's album before Lateralus.

*Sulfur is vital to alchemy: it forms a triad with mercury and salt. It begins with sulfur (active, masculine, solar, fire, the individual soul) and mercury (passive, feminine, lunar, water, the life force/soul in all things) [kind of like Yin and Yang]. Salt is the 'offspring' of these two, (it represents the body, the precipitate: it kind of balances the first two).

*lead is the metal that is attributed to the planet Saturn. It is the first step in the alchemical process.

*Most, if not all alchemy is symbolic. So if anything you read doesn't seem chemically accurate (in fact, you'll be lucky to find much chemically accurate info in alchemy, period), then that doesn't discredit the entire system of thought/belief. It is all symbolism. All metaphors.

*I know a lot of this is probably coincidental....but still, it makes you think
Old 01-12-2004, 05:31 PM   #144
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

wow i like the charka post. good work man
Old 01-14-2004, 12:26 PM   #145

Bincount™: 206

For the people who don't wanna read this EXCESSIVE amount of information, can someone sum up what we've found(or not found)?
Old 01-14-2004, 08:31 PM   #146
Level 1 - Lurker

I must say, this is by far the most interesting post i have seen on this site. Maybe we are digging our noses too far, and into irrelovent information, but the point is, we're digging, always a good thing. I noticed no one has brought up the matter of charges, upper right hand corner for each element on the Periodic table, if im not mistaken. I think I will check that out, see if it comes out to be balanced or not.

On the matter of alchemy, i think we should take a metaphorical stand on this. Allthough it may be far-fetched, or, i hate to use the word, impossible, to creat the element of gold, i think the idea is turning what little we have, or are given, into something valuable, or precious. Possibly turning what ever pain we have experienced into learning, this is what i always think of whenever an alchemy reference is made, as i beleive the threory was dissproved. Anyways... Im going to stare at the periodic table for hours now, keep going guys! Im enjoying the read. I hope we get somewhere with this, it feels like an adventure.

-tim

PS: id ask my chemistry teacher.... but she is quite dumb
Old 01-15-2004, 12:36 PM   #147
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackledEidolon
I would imagine as with many other alchemical thoughts that this is a metiphor for spiritual growth. If we look at the idea that Sulphur is needed for life then we can call it life for this thought experiment.

So we have all these inert metals that in and of themselves are very complex yet are inactive until the element of life is thrown into the mix. Which element was it ...Lanthanum...reacts directly with sulpur...perhaps it is some sort of liason between life and this other quality that the elements possess.

I would tend to think less of the actual 'true' chemical process occuring and more towards the symbolism of numbers and the nature of the word lateralus itself. Lateral to the side and us of course being US (u and me) we are besides ourselves giving an objective vision...both within and without if indeed all are one.

75-52-88-71-16 ....I'd check into the numbers themselves and what they coorespond to. I know the number 16 COULD be the 16th path of the septhiroth or key 16 "The tower". But I dont know enough about that to really help out that much. But I would focus on the numerology and the latin roots of the elements to look for meaning and clues.

actually you get it all wrong !!!

it's 57-52-88-71-16 because Lanthanium atomic number is 57!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #148
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4yn4rd
For the people who don't wanna read this EXCESSIVE amount of information, can someone sum up what we've found(or not found)?
A lot about the chemical properties of the elements who have the same symbol as
La
Te
Ra
Lu
S
(nothing exactly useful)
Alchemy (see 2 posts above by Katabasis)

And... yeah, about that lol. Some stuff about the fibronic sequence... I read this ages ago and it took me two nights. lol. I forgot stuff ;[

Oh, there was something about radiation too (basic highschool stuff)

It is possible to create gold, by removing electrons/protons/nutrons from another element further along the table, however it ends up rather radioactive. i.e. useless.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:45 PM   #149
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

this mite be farfetched but could lateralus have relation to latera recta in math?

in an ellipse, there are 2 foci. if you make lines go through the foci that are parallel to the minor axis (perp. to major axis) you get the latera recta.

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/refere...as/node27.html
go there for a more indepth look at it..

im not sure yet on how this may relate to lateralus but jsut the fact that latera is a part of it is quite interesting. put in your thoughts and maybe how it connects with the music/lyrics
Old 01-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #150
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by layersbeyondimagination
this mite be farfetched but could lateralus have relation to latera recta in math?

in an ellipse, there are 2 foci. if you make lines go through the foci that are parallel to the minor axis (perp. to major axis) you get the latera recta.

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/refere...as/node27.html
go there for a more indepth look at it..

im not sure yet on how this may relate to lateralus but jsut the fact that latera is a part of it is quite interesting. put in your thoughts and maybe how it connects with the music/lyrics
could it have to do with saturn's orbit? i think planets have elliptical orbits and if they truly are, what lies on the latera recta? i did like 10 mins of research due to limited time and oculdnt find anything really. can someone find out?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #151
Banned.

No idea what you're talking about, but planets do indeeed have ellipitical orbits.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:26 AM   #152
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow011
could it be a coincidence that they all weigh 298 k when solid?
Kalvins... yeah, temperature, ...as above stated.

Quote:
Some stuff about the fibronic sequence...
Fibonacci.

Last edited by Odibilëph; 01-24-2004 at 11:50 AM..
Old 02-22-2004, 10:27 PM   #153
Level 3 - Talker

I don't want this thread to die. It's too damn good.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #154
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

No, we are obviously not looking for the holy grail. I often wonder why people post stuff like this? Does it matter to you if the references are put on the album on purpose or if it is merely a series of coincidential patterns? I don't believe anyone posting in here is searching for any grail or the so called meaning of life?! Basicly we are just following what to us seem like interesting and fascinating clues to learn and expand our knowledge. If you do not wish to participate, then don't. No one is forcing you, really... and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #155
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Just thought maybe a few of you may be intersted in this... I entered the word 'lateralus' and broke it up like you guys did as la te ra lu s and entered each into a Hebrew Gematria 'calculator'.. it was intersting what it generated

La=31.... Kether of Briah, or 'And there was'

Ta=9..... Most luminous

Ra=201... Light

Lu=30..... It will be

S........... Use of Aiswass

Pretty intersting because 31 represents Kether in Briah... which corresponds to the 'world of creation' as well as to the Angel Metatron... the 'Bright Angel' corresponding to the colour of 'while briliance'.. in conjunction with 9 and 201 it makes you wonder... not only that but all the many references to Thelema and ushering in of the Eon of Horus.. may explain... 60... The use of Aiswass... Liber Al....

RRed
Old 02-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #156
Level 1 - Lurker

Okay, first post

After hammering my way throught 4 pages and some pretty lengthy posts I have become quite interested.

First I would like to point out that Lateralus is spelled

l-a t-e r-a l-u-s

The lus are connected, but at 2 different levels

l-u and then the u-s are connected at a lower level

That made me think there might be something else you haven't looked into.
There is however no element "us" but there is "u" uranium, another radioactive element. So what about "us". Uranium Sulfate perhaps.

After a few google serches I came across the following.

http://www.members.home.net/saturation70/462.html

The first said something about seperating plutonium.

US 2,852,336 (Peroxide Process for Separation of Radioactive Materials) G.T. Seaborg, I. Perlman; Sep 16, 1958.

A method is described of separating plutonium, in the reduced state, from hexavalent uranium. It consists in treating an aqueous solution containing such uranium and plutonium ions with sulfate ions in order to form a soluble uranium sulfate complex and then treating the solution with a soluble thorium compound and a soluble peroxide compound in order to form a thorium peroxide carrier precipitate which carries down with it the plutonium peroxide present. During this treatment the pH of the solution must be maintained between 2 and 3.

A second search took me to a glossary.

http://webserver.lemoyne.edu/faculty...a/archems.html

Near the bottom is uranium which is what I was looking for but fortunatually I kept on scrolling and noticed something else.

vitriol: a sulfate, especially iron sulfate; see copperas.

uranvitriol: a uranium sulfate

I saw that word "vitriol" and knew I saw it somewhere else on this board.

V isita "Visit"
I nteriora the "interior"
T errae "of the earth;"
R ectificando "in rectifying,"
I nvenies "discover"
O ccultum "the hidden"
L apidem "stone."

Now, is there a connection, I don't know at this point but at least I shared my findings.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #157
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRed
Just thought maybe a few of you may be intersted in this... I entered the word 'lateralus' and broke it up like you guys did as la te ra lu s and entered each into a Hebrew Gematria 'calculator'.. it was intersting what it generated

La=31.... Kether of Briah, or 'And there was'

Ta=9..... Most luminous

Ra=201... Light

Lu=30..... It will be

S........... Use of Aiswass

Pretty intersting because 31 represents Kether in Briah... which corresponds to the 'world of creation' as well as to the Angel Metatron... the 'Bright Angel' corresponding to the colour of 'while briliance'.. in conjunction with 9 and 201 it makes you wonder... not only that but all the many references to Thelema and ushering in of the Eon of Horus.. may explain... 60... The use of Aiswass... Liber Al....

RRed

Sorry.... the Ta was a mispelling but Te is equivelant to 9..
Old 02-26-2004, 02:15 PM   #158
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraguay
I did some research into this very interesting matter last night. Here's what i found out.

1. LA
Lanthanum - based on Greek 'lanthanein' - 'to escape notice' (due to it being undetected in cerium oxide)
Proton Number - 57
Relative Atomic Mass - 139
(Inner transition metal - Lanthanide Series)

2. TE
Tellurium - based on Latin 'tellus -uris' - 'earth'
Proton Number - 52
Relative Atomic Mass - 128
(Non-metal - Group 6)

3. RA
Radium - based on Latin 'radius' - 'ray'
Proton Number - 88
Relative Atomic Mass - 226
(Alkali metal - Group 2)

4. LU
Lutetium (Lutecium) - based on Latin 'Lutetia' - ancient name of Paris, France, home of it's original discoverer.
Proton Number - 71
Relative Atomic Mass - 175
(Inner transition metal - Lanthanide Series)

5. S
Sulphur (US: Sulfur) - based on Latin 'sulfur; sulp(h)ur'
Proton Number - 16
Relative Atomic Mass - 32
(Non-metal - Group 6)

While looking through the dictionary I found some other interesting pieces of information. 'LA' or 'LAH' is the 6th note of a major scale and the note A in a fixed-doh system. 'TE' or 'TI' is the 7th note of a major scale and the note B in a fixed-doh system. I was unable to find this musical system with the other letters of Lateralus, though I believe the 3rd one is 'RE.'

And yes, I do have to much time on my hands.
ya you do, but way to use your ability to research and your brain. good job :)
Old 02-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #159
Level 4 - Thinker

ok, i think you guys killed it. It's a nice concept but obviously if it takes 30 people to come up with such an abstract though i doubt one man can do it, especially in only a 3 year period. Hell, you can send all this to Maynard and show him the dedication you have to find the meanings of his songs. have fun, i think you all got it under control so I wont bother getting into it.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:57 PM   #160
Level 4 - Thinker

levels of connection

it was before noted that of the last three letters, they are connected with dashes on different levels

could this symbolize different types of bonds, ionic and covalent?

IMPORTANT- dissectional.com abstract artwork may show the location of this french alchemical place which you were speaking of on one of the many pages
I think i saw it on the french church pentagram, but it may have been somewhere else

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: