opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 06-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
xyu
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
I finally know what this song talks about

Listened to the whole album carefully after a long time, after I have just finished a book called DMT: The spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman and Third eye' s lyrics FINALLY make sense to me. Won't say anything further, explore by your own...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 48
Re: I finally know what this song talks about

"Phosphorescent desert buttons" That's peyote, not DMT. I don't want to kill your interpretation, but I'm almost more than sure it's a homage to Carlos Castaneda.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 116

Wrong on both accounts.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

3rd eye.....all seeing eye.....the "god" eye if you will. Has nothing to do with drugs and everything to do with finding ones self.

pineal gland might help your research some too...or maybe "seat of the soul". GL
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanos
3rd eye.....all seeing eye.....the "god" eye if you will. Has nothing to do with drugs and everything to do with finding ones self.

pineal gland might help your research some too...or maybe "seat of the soul". GL
The song "Third Eye" however is about unlocking the third eye and finding ones self with the aid of drugs.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

what you have said is very profound: the third eye is opposed to our two physical eyes which can percieve the appearance of any object in presence of light. to pry open ones third eye is to penetrate the appearance of things and touch their nature. See things how they are, not appear. now, no physical matter in the world and beyond can do this: everyone has a third eye burried somewhere deep inside themselves, it is this presence which lets us decifer the emotions our surroundings bomb us with in their pure form, some call it soul, anima, nature, essence..... all the same things as they allow us to exteriorate the divinity in us.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazX22
The song "Third Eye" however is about unlocking the third eye and finding ones self with the aid of drugs.
Just because they mention drugs as a tool to show you what you need to do, doesnt mean that the song is about opening the eye with the aid of them. I just see it as the opening process, period.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

It is thought, in Hiduism, and other eastern relgions that the third eye is an opening to the spiritual world, and that everyone has a third eye that opens upon death or enlightment. This is thought of as a natural process; however, by using hallucinogenics, while consciously understanding how they can aid in the "seeing" of the spirit world, one can "pry open their third eye" in order to force this process. By that reasoning it's quite likely that this song is about using drugs to do so, and the Bill Hicks quote at the beginning only strengthen this thought. I don't know whether this is actually an homage to Carlos Castaneda, but that's a cool thought, some of the lyrics remind of what he experienced while being mentored by don juan.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 48

Well, yeah. You've all touched on several different aspects of the song. The pineal gland is called the third eye.And there's a concentration of DMT in there. But go back and look at several different lyrics and think about how it relates to Castaneda. I think one of the easiest references to pick up on are the icaros (peyote songs, child ryhmes), and the mention of a "holy crow" which would be Don Juan. And of course, the peyote buttons. Also note "came out to watch you play." Those of you who read the book should be able to pick that reference up. "Chasing the tail of dogma" could also be used as a play on words in relation to the dog Carlos was chasing in addition to it's obvious meaning.

Last edited by Death In June; 07-13-2006 at 06:13 PM..
Old 07-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

I think its about peyote. Cuse carlos casteneda talks about the mitots , the peyote rituals the mexican yaqis have , And in the song maynard says , like a nursery rhyme stuck in my head , like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familuar song , well in the casteneda books he talks about everyone comming up with there own tune or song while on peyote. hence one familuar song. also when they are on peyote on the desert searching for more buttons he said they glowed blue , phosphorescent. Also in the song , came out to watch you play why are you running away? in the book mescalito is a playful being , he is the god of peyote , if your a good soul he will appear playful. Ever since the first time i heard this song , i thougth casteneda "The Yaqi Way of Knowledge" the first book in the series
Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #11

Ponder people:) (Jambi)Till 2 become 1. (Right in Two)Divide it right in two. Think greater than.....
Old 07-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 954

I like the way he uses the word "prying." For me it symbolizes a psychedelic drug sort of as a crow bar prying open an individual's third eye.

Just my interpretation. I think he could have easily just said "opening" but the use of "prying" sort of fits in with the use of drugs.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning bridges
I like the way he uses the word "prying." For me it symbolizes a psychedelic drug sort of as a crow bar prying open an individual's third eye.

Just my interpretation. I think he could have easily just said "opening" but the use of "prying" sort of fits in with the use of drugs.

Kinda like when you use drugs, you're forcefully opening it, instead of working on yourself and letting it open naturally.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

^^ So with that being said. Do you think Maynard is discouraging the use of drugs to open your third eye in the sense that prying it open forcefully isn't the way to go but rather through deep meditation?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Old 07-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #16

Bincount™: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazX22

Thats what I get out of it too. Does'nt have to be acid but any sort of mind altering drug. That may not be Maynard's intent but its what I get from it.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #17

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2007
^^ So with that being said. Do you think Maynard is discouraging the use of drugs to open your third eye in the sense that prying it open forcefully isn't the way to go but rather through deep meditation?

I dont know yet, I havent understood the song personally to that point yet. I'm sure everyone has, but I dont want to ake someone else opinion for it. I think this song is too important to do that. It's crucial to discover this on your owns.

Something I still need to do :P
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

When you open a stuck door, you pry it open. You can use your hands (natural) or a crowbar (aid). Our eyes have been stuck shut for some time now, I do not think that the use of the word "pry" infers using aids to open it. Use of the aids is not discouraged, obviously. But still, seems much more like the process than telling people to use drugs to pry open anything.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:54 AM   #19
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

Everyone has good iedas, and I agree with the thought that drugs may help to open one's 3rd eye, but not forcfully doing so. I think he is prying open his eye becuase he longs to have it, uses drugs to help him find it..again. The song says so good to see you again...maybe he had it once and lost it...chasing the trail of smoke and reason...<what does this mean? Did he possibly go another way to open his mind up and see things in a new way after he discovered his 3rd eye, and now he wants to go back? Was he sober, then opened it with drugs, then went sober again and lost it? Was he on drugs, went sober to find it, then started drugs again? This song still perplexs me no matter how many times i try listening and deciphering its meaning...only tool knows.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
Wrong on both accounts.
Yeah, it's Tylenol.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

I think its about doing drugs to open your third eye once, then using meditiation to return to it. I remember the first few times I listened to this song I heard,
"So good to see you,
I've missed you so much,
So glad I'M SOBER,
I've missed you so much."
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug." - MJK
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #23

the pineal gland in most animal's bodies is called the third eye
this is also the gland that produces DMT, the most powerful psychedelic drug known to man.
check out the book by strassman, it is illuminating.
alex gray also did the cover art for it.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

"Drugs will help you start, but only you can cross the finish line."
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanos View Post

ok so Dr. Rick Strassman, Carlos Castaneda, Gary Zukav...
very interesting...

ohhhhh.... i found more... :)

Last edited by ToolKlouD; 09-22-2006 at 09:25 AM..
Old 10-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

I truely believe that the song is about using drugs once to get to the enlightened state, then trying to get back there without drugs. Using acid, pot, etc.. to unlock the door, then going back when you're sober.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maybe he the reason he is screaming "Prying open my 3rd eye" is too really give the point of someone using drugs to get to their enlightened state and in doing so are prying open a door that shouldn't be open. And because of this experience he is slipping father from reality so that he doesnt know what to do anymore and that is why everything is running away from him (including the drugs which gets weaker each time he uses them).
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Ocean View Post
Maybe he the reason he is screaming "Prying open my 3rd eye" is too really give the point of someone using drugs to get to their enlightened state and in doing so are prying open a door that shouldn't be open. And because of this experience he is slipping father from reality so that he doesnt know what to do anymore and that is why everything is running away from him (including the drugs which gets weaker each time he uses them).
That's a really good point
Old 10-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Why thank you.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #30

this song isnt really about a specific psychedelic.
maynard often talks about using psychedelics to open your mind, then without the aid of the drug to return to your state of enlightenment.
this becomes really apparent when he's saying so good to see you, ive missed you so much
hes finally attained his state of enlightenment again, without the use of drugs

dmt by strassman is awesome though. im definitely having an experience with that substance soon.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

I think this song is about trying to find your true self and in the proces losing yourself by delving and becoming attached to a false reality that psychedilics bring. I think this ties in with the album concept starting with stink fist when it says boredom's noit a burden any one should bear. the part where the guttural and primal scream is the pain of seperation from drugs or a realationship. or anything that you can become attached in a sense in love or dependent on. However this process is necessary to find who you truly are and accept and have an experience of waking up whichg i think is prying open my third eye. the part where he says"why ware you running away" I think is the fear of losing oneself and the process of how one can become attached to another person or a chemical dependency. In this search for dogma relates to how we can lose sight of our values due to our passion. this is just my interperation
Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #32
On Probation

Bincount™: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson View Post
I think its about doing drugs to open your third eye once, then using meditiation to return to it. I remember the first few times I listened to this song I heard,
"So good to see you,
I've missed you so much,
So glad I'M SOBER,
I think you hit the nail on the head, I think it is saying that (maybe Maynard did it himself) if needed, use something like acid once to see what you didn't before, then spend time returning to the feeling or understanding without the drug. Who's going to continuously take acid over and over and expect nothing bad to ever happen to them?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #33
greetings from planet x

Bincount™: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by rintoot View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head, I think it is saying that (maybe Maynard did it himself) if needed, use something like acid once to see what you didn't before, then spend time returning to the feeling or understanding without the drug. Who's going to continuously take acid over and over and expect nothing bad to ever happen to them?

indeed.........

sometimes pple abuse drugs, even psychedelics....

i like the interpretation that you can reach the same state sober.........

for example, i was trippin on shrooms couple months ago and the clouds were the highlight of the trip, thats for damn sure..........anyway, it made me appreciate them so much, and right now, months later, totally sober, i still have that total appreciation of the clouds...............i dont have to be trippin balls to appreciate them.....

the key word to drug experiences = AWARENESS

they made me become AWARE of my beautiful surroundings so i would appreciate them more in the future..........
Old 11-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson
"So good to see you,
I've missed you so much,
So glad I'M SOBER,
I used to hear the exact same thing during that refrain.

I'm a bit divided on if the song actually has to do with drugs directly, however. Something tells me the song alludes to something else . . .
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

anyway, this is the best Tool song for me. I hope they play it next time I see them.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: