Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
dissonance19
05-04-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuguolo
Didn't have a life
Didn't have a life
But surely saved one

maynard saved?

no, I think he means SHE saved his life.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #81
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17
Re: The real meaning of 10000 Days (worth reading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuguolo
Didn't have a life
Didn't have a life
But surely saved one

maynard saved?

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
themayanlion
05-04-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
Yes, I made the same observations as the person that started this thread about the real meaning of 10,000 days. I think a lot of people figured it out. You, however, are one of the few people that I know that thinks the same as me about Orestes. Orestes comes from greek mythology and a lot of people got too caught up on that relationship and aren't seeing the obvious connection. "This umbilical residue keeping me from killing you" and the lines you mention above seem to refer to his mother at her last moments. My nana (my favorite grandma) had a major stroke in February paralyzing her and my mother had to make decisions for her about her life wishes and she could not find it in herself to allow them to let her die if it came to that. Instead, they heavily medicate her to help her feel better as she lives on in this horrible way. I can totally relate to this. Even if it's not the real meaning, It helps me to relate it like this.
that is very interesting. i had always wondered about what he might have been talking about in that song, what you said makes a lot of sense, taken in ctext with this song
Old 05-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #82
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Yes, I made the same observations as the person that started this thread about the real meaning of 10,000 days. I think a lot of people figured it out. You, however, are one of the few people that I know that thinks the same as me about Orestes. Orestes comes from greek mythology and a lot of people got too caught up on that relationship and aren't seeing the obvious connection. "This umbilical residue keeping me from killing you" and the lines you mention above seem to refer to his mother at her last moments. My nana (my favorite grandma) had a major stroke in February paralyzing her and my mother had to make decisions for her about her life wishes and she could not find it in herself to allow them to let her die if it came to that. Instead, they heavily medicate her to help her feel better as she lives on in this horrible way. I can totally relate to this. Even if it's not the real meaning, It helps me to relate it like this.
that is very interesting. i had always wondered about what he might have been talking about in that song, what you said makes a lot of sense, taken in ctext with this song
mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 09:21 AM

I hope all of you realize that Maynard began as a stand-up comedian. I'm sure you all know this, as you are notorious for looking into every detail of every lyric, riff, and personal history of the band members. What you have most likely failed to connect though, is that Maynard is screwing with you all. He has been for 15 years now. None of this means anything to him. It's all an elaborate joke twisted up into a social experiment of throwing all sorts of random mystical elements into a song, juxtaposing them with tribal drums and weird time signatures, and seeing what kind of profundity the knuckleheads find. I personally think it's hilarious.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

I hope all of you realize that Maynard began as a stand-up comedian. I'm sure you all know this, as you are notorious for looking into every detail of every lyric, riff, and personal history of the band members. What you have most likely failed to connect though, is that Maynard is screwing with you all. He has been for 15 years now. None of this means anything to him. It's all an elaborate joke twisted up into a social experiment of throwing all sorts of random mystical elements into a song, juxtaposing them with tribal drums and weird time signatures, and seeing what kind of profundity the knuckleheads find. I personally think it's hilarious.
rxsheepxr
05-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46and2aheadofme
Kudos, bro. Looks like you're one of the few that figured it out on your own. Although a few did the math even before the album came out (show-offs!).
I'm new, so I don't expect a warm welcome, but I too figured all this out on mah own as well. It's all in my review that I did for my site.

Anyhow. It's great that there's always something to explore in a Tool song, something to research. It makes the album extend beyond the plastic cd and into the real world.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #84
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46and2aheadofme
Kudos, bro. Looks like you're one of the few that figured it out on your own. Although a few did the math even before the album came out (show-offs!).
I'm new, so I don't expect a warm welcome, but I too figured all this out on mah own as well. It's all in my review that I did for my site.

Anyhow. It's great that there's always something to explore in a Tool song, something to research. It makes the album extend beyond the plastic cd and into the real world.
rxsheepxr
05-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk_is_rfg
If he's the fucking man, then you're the fucking man.

Say a valid point and I'll listen, otherwise don't bother shitting over something other people like.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #85
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
If he's the fucking man, then you're the fucking man.

Say a valid point and I'll listen, otherwise don't bother shitting over something other people like.
_colin_
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM

maynard came out on one of the apc dvds a comentary of the video and said it was not about a person but it was about the persons god (or his moms god)
Old 05-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #86
Level 2 - Poster

maynard came out on one of the apc dvds a comentary of the video and said it was not about a person but it was about the persons god (or his moms god)
K In Yo Mouf
05-04-2006, 02:46 PM

Yup, Colin'z Right...

He Said, And Correct Me If I'm Wrong, Something Along the Linez of "When I'm Saying Fuck Your God, I'm Not Saying Fuck GOD, I'm Saying Fuck YOUR God, Fuck That Which Holdz u Down, Which Holdz u Back...", And THen I Believe He Goez On 2 Say "u Don't Need Religion, All u Need Iz Love" Or Something Like That...

I'm Not Sure the Exact Quote, Juzt Tryin 2 Give a Brief Synopsis Of Wat He Said...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #87

Bincount™: 4

Yup, Colin'z Right...

He Said, And Correct Me If I'm Wrong, Something Along the Linez of "When I'm Saying Fuck Your God, I'm Not Saying Fuck GOD, I'm Saying Fuck YOUR God, Fuck That Which Holdz u Down, Which Holdz u Back...", And THen I Believe He Goez On 2 Say "u Don't Need Religion, All u Need Iz Love" Or Something Like That...

I'm Not Sure the Exact Quote, Juzt Tryin 2 Give a Brief Synopsis Of Wat He Said...
05-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch
I think this song puts The Grudge into context too when you consider the lyrics (Saturn ascending equaling aproximatly 10,000 days). It's basically a song about forgiveness after a long period of animosity.
I like your point, and I definately think that there may be some relation between the grudge and judith, wings, 10000 days and jimmy. Personally I perceived the grudge to be too angry for a song about his mom, and specifically in regard to the "ascension of Saturn", I took as an astrological reference. the roman astrologer Marcus Manilius labelled Saturn as cold, lonely and miserable, representing the qualities of restriction, reality and crystalization. These qualities certainly fit the profile of an individual that Maynard could be talking about in the grudge, but anyway, thats just an idea I have about the grudge---back to 10000 days.

Some other Saturn facts to note:

Saturn's orbit takes 10,759.22 earth days to truly orbit the sun (that is to return to the same location relative to the stars). This is close to 10000 days but its a stretch.

But also to note in regards to Dispatch's post, Hinduism knew Saturn as the celestial being Shani, and he was worshipped by those going through a bad period in their lives. Based on Tool's and Alex Grey's (the artist that did the album artwork for Lateralus and 10000 days) references to the "third eye"and shakras (both Hindu symbols) I am now inclined to interpret the Saturn reference in the Grudge to hold the Hindu meanings, which fits very well with Dispatch's idea, that Saturn ascending is a period of forgiveness by someone going through a hard time (like when dealing with your mom's paralysis).

So to conclude this mess, as it is widely known throughout these forums there are many many potential interpretations of tool's lyrics, and I definately think that Dispatch has a good one here conecting the Grudge to 10000 days, jimmy and judith. It wasn't my perspective but after I looked into it I agree with it more and more. I just think it may be a stretch to base the connection on 10000 days equalling the length of saturn's orbit or "ascension".

Last edited by subtlety; 05-04-2006 at 04:25 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #88
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch
I think this song puts The Grudge into context too when you consider the lyrics (Saturn ascending equaling aproximatly 10,000 days). It's basically a song about forgiveness after a long period of animosity.
I like your point, and I definately think that there may be some relation between the grudge and judith, wings, 10000 days and jimmy. Personally I perceived the grudge to be too angry for a song about his mom, and specifically in regard to the "ascension of Saturn", I took as an astrological reference. the roman astrologer Marcus Manilius labelled Saturn as cold, lonely and miserable, representing the qualities of restriction, reality and crystalization. These qualities certainly fit the profile of an individual that Maynard could be talking about in the grudge, but anyway, thats just an idea I have about the grudge---back to 10000 days.

Some other Saturn facts to note:

Saturn's orbit takes 10,759.22 earth days to truly orbit the sun (that is to return to the same location relative to the stars). This is close to 10000 days but its a stretch.

But also to note in regards to Dispatch's post, Hinduism knew Saturn as the celestial being Shani, and he was worshipped by those going through a bad period in their lives. Based on Tool's and Alex Grey's (the artist that did the album artwork for Lateralus and 10000 days) references to the "third eye"and shakras (both Hindu symbols) I am now inclined to interpret the Saturn reference in the Grudge to hold the Hindu meanings, which fits very well with Dispatch's idea, that Saturn ascending is a period of forgiveness by someone going through a hard time (like when dealing with your mom's paralysis).

So to conclude this mess, as it is widely known throughout these forums there are many many potential interpretations of tool's lyrics, and I definately think that Dispatch has a good one here conecting the Grudge to 10000 days, jimmy and judith. It wasn't my perspective but after I looked into it I agree with it more and more. I just think it may be a stretch to base the connection on 10000 days equalling the length of saturn's orbit or "ascension".

Last edited by subtlety; 05-04-2006 at 04:25 PM..
semi-sentient's Avatar semi-sentient
05-04-2006, 05:12 PM

To the OP, thanks for the great read.

Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are incredibly powerful songs. After just jamming the CD for several days, I finally decided to sit here and listen to it with the lyrics in front of me. I can't tell you how touching those two songs were. Now that I see the connection between this song and others, I understand more of where MJK was coming from throughout the years. I had started researching this subject today and came to the same conclusion, more or less, so I'm glad to see it confirmed.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #89

To the OP, thanks for the great read.

Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are incredibly powerful songs. After just jamming the CD for several days, I finally decided to sit here and listen to it with the lyrics in front of me. I can't tell you how touching those two songs were. Now that I see the connection between this song and others, I understand more of where MJK was coming from throughout the years. I had started researching this subject today and came to the same conclusion, more or less, so I'm glad to see it confirmed.
05-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Wow that's an awfully involved and consuming social experiment. Couldn't he have done a survey or some shit to find out what "knuckleheads" we all are? Probably would have taken less time and energy.

Do you think that looking for our reactions to his head games are the sole purpose of his career and life for that matter? If you do, you are awfully self centered.

Idiot.

Last edited by bellamadia; 05-04-2006 at 06:02 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Wow that's an awfully involved and consuming social experiment. Couldn't he have done a survey or some shit to find out what "knuckleheads" we all are? Probably would have taken less time and energy.

Do you think that looking for our reactions to his head games are the sole purpose of his career and life for that matter? If you do, you are awfully self centered.

Idiot.

Last edited by bellamadia; 05-04-2006 at 06:02 PM..
semi-sentient's Avatar semi-sentient
05-04-2006, 05:30 PM

^^^ I find it ironic that this guy seems to think he knows what Maynard's purpose is, then turns around and criticizes everyone here for the same thing. All we've done is offered a logical conclusion to these lyrics, all facts considered. That seems to fall on deaf ears, or in this case blind eyes, to the illogical.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #91

^^^ I find it ironic that this guy seems to think he knows what Maynard's purpose is, then turns around and criticizes everyone here for the same thing. All we've done is offered a logical conclusion to these lyrics, all facts considered. That seems to fall on deaf ears, or in this case blind eyes, to the illogical.
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind
I know this may seem a little strange but it makes sense. I was wondering what the meaning of 10000 days was so I did a little research. I can tell from the lyrics that it is about his mom dying, but what is the significance of 10000 days. Well I found out that his mom had a stroke and was paralyized when Maynard was 11 he talks about this in the song jimmy "What was it like to see, The face of your own stability, Suddenly look away, Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?, Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye. Eleven is standing still,". With this in mind the song Judith is about how mad he was at god for doing this to his mom [1]. Now if you think of when his mom died, on June 18th 2003, and when maynard was 11 years old April 17, 1975 - April 16, 1976 do the math and it is right around 10000 days. So this song is about him accepting his mom's death and "10000 days in the fire is long enough, your going home" is saying that it is finally time for his mom to leave this hell on earth and to go where she belongs.

[1]
You're such an inspiration
For the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be
Oh so many ways for me to show you
How your savior has abandoned you

(FUCK Your God)
Your Lord, your Christ
(He did this)
Took all you had and
(Left you this way)
Still you pray, never stray, never
(Taste of the fruit)
Never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone
It's not like you drove a hateful spear
Into his side
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

Oh so many ways
For me to show you
How your dogma has abandoned you

(Pray)
To your Christ, to your God
(Never taste of the fruit)
Never stray, never break, never
(Choke on a lie)
Even though he's the one who
(Did this to you)
You never thought to question why

It's not like you drove a spiteful spear
Into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
As if he knows the reasons why
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

If you would like some good answers on Judith look no further than Maynard himself and go and buy the latest APC dvd aMOTION and listen to the great commentary on Judith (as well as the others) and he explains the song quite well.......it's not so much that he is angry at God but more so at the hippocrites who came to see his mom and told her how strong in her faith she was, then turn around and talk about her behind her back. After listening to the commentary it helps out alot with other songs like Jimmy and 10,000 days as well.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #92
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

Quote:
I know this may seem a little strange but it makes sense. I was wondering what the meaning of 10000 days was so I did a little research. I can tell from the lyrics that it is about his mom dying, but what is the significance of 10000 days. Well I found out that his mom had a stroke and was paralyized when Maynard was 11 he talks about this in the song jimmy "What was it like to see, The face of your own stability, Suddenly look away, Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?, Eleven and she was gone. Eleven is when we waved good-bye. Eleven is standing still,". With this in mind the song Judith is about how mad he was at god for doing this to his mom [1]. Now if you think of when his mom died, on June 18th 2003, and when maynard was 11 years old April 17, 1975 - April 16, 1976 do the math and it is right around 10000 days. So this song is about him accepting his mom's death and "10000 days in the fire is long enough, your going home" is saying that it is finally time for his mom to leave this hell on earth and to go where she belongs.

[1]
For the ways

(FUCK Your God)
Your Lord, your Christ
(He did this)
Took all you had and
(Left you this way)
(Taste of the fruit)

Into his side
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

Oh so many ways
For me to show you

(Pray)
(Choke on a lie)
(Did this to you)

Into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

If you would like some good answers on Judith look no further than Maynard himself and go and buy the latest APC dvd aMOTION and listen to the great commentary on Judith (as well as the others) and he explains the song quite well.......it's not so much that he is angry at God but more so at the hippocrites who came to see his mom and told her how strong in her faith she was, then turn around and talk about her behind her back. After listening to the commentary it helps out alot with other songs like Jimmy and 10,000 days as well.
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
05-05-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
even if what you say is true (about which i am ambivalent) it doesn't matter.

t.s. eliot said, when formulating his ideas for critical analysis of poetry, that details about the personal life of the author are completely irrelevant to the interpretation/critique of the poem.. it doesn't matter if maynard's just fucking with the listener or if he's a High Adept (as one of my friends believes), the important thing is what the songs mean to the listener.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #93
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
even if what you say is true (about which i am ambivalent) it doesn't matter.

t.s. eliot said, when formulating his ideas for critical analysis of poetry, that details about the personal life of the author are completely irrelevant to the interpretation/critique of the poem.. it doesn't matter if maynard's just fucking with the listener or if he's a High Adept (as one of my friends believes), the important thing is what the songs mean to the listener.
05-05-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
We listen to the tales and romanticize,
How we follow the path of the hero
We sit in church and are told to imagine how Jesus's life applies to our own.

Quote:
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun,
How we'll rise to the height of our halo.
Christians hold themselves in high regard for their belief that they will be saved when armaggedon occurs. It's the day they think they'll all rise to heaven.

Quote:
Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior
Fading all the trials and the tribulations,
None of us have actually been there,
Not like you...
Believing is not enough because the mind is to intelligent to accept pure bullshit. The believers have to rationalize the beliefs in applicable methods to their lives or they won't believe they require salvation. Judith Marie does not have to rationalize her belief as she's been stricken with a seemingly random and crippling affliction and faith is all that keeps her sane.

Quote:
The ignorant siblings in the congregation
Gather around spewing sympathy,
Spare me...

None of them can even hold a candle up to you
Blinded by choices, hypocrites
Won't see
The believers express their sympathies but Maynard understands that his mother is dead and in the ground, not beside any divine entity.

Their devotion pales in comparison to his mother's, but their choices of salvation or damnation blind them to the truth of his mother's nature.

Quote:
But enough about the collective Judas
Who could deny you were the one who illuminated
Your little piece of the divine

This little light of mine it gives your past unto me,
I'm going to let it shine,
to guide you safely on your way

Your way home...
His mother obviously shaped his life in profound ways, and he's hoping to preserve that memory and pass on that experience. This stanza also represents Maynard saying goodbye in his heart, if not his words.

Quote:
Ohh, what are they gonna do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they gonna do when the rivers overrun
Other than tremble incessantly?
Without a figure of faith as powerful as his mother, Maynard doubts the believers would be able to overcome their fears.

Quote:
High is the way
But our lives are upon the ground.
You are the light and the way
They'll only read about
I only pray heaven knows
When to lift you out

10000 days in the fire is long enough.
You're going home...
His mother spent 27 years in a stroke induced paralysis, but her devotion never wavered, to her son or to her beliefs. Her example is more powerful than anything written in the Bible, in Maynard's opinion. He hates to see her suffer and only wonders when her body will give out.

Quote:
You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fist at the gates saying,
"I have come home now!"

Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father,
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.

It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my
Give me my wings!..."

You are the light, the way, that they will only read about
His mother can know she deserves into heaven. Moreover, that her faith was worthy of a private audience with her Trinity. Maynard is telling her that if there is any believer on earth that truly deserves sainthood in the afterlife, it's her.

Quote:
Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers.
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one
Maynard gave up on beliefs at a fairly early age but always had to deal with being a minority forced to justify his lack of faith. His mother witnessed his transition and both stuck by her son but never wavered in her Christianity.

Quote:
Daylight dims leaving cool flourescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look him in the eye
Look him in the eye and tell him,
"I never lived a lie, never took a life,
But surely saved one
Hallejullah,
It's time for you to bring me home."
If there is a Christian God, his mother will meet him. If she does, he suggests that she remind him of her virtue and sacrifice, and then request her just rewards.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:55 AM   #94
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
We listen to the tales and romanticize,
How we follow the path of the hero
We sit in church and are told to imagine how Jesus's life applies to our own.

Quote:
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun,
How we'll rise to the height of our halo.
Christians hold themselves in high regard for their belief that they will be saved when armaggedon occurs. It's the day they think they'll all rise to heaven.

Quote:
Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior
Fading all the trials and the tribulations,
None of us have actually been there,
Not like you...
Believing is not enough because the mind is to intelligent to accept pure bullshit. The believers have to rationalize the beliefs in applicable methods to their lives or they won't believe they require salvation. Judith Marie does not have to rationalize her belief as she's been stricken with a seemingly random and crippling affliction and faith is all that keeps her sane.

Quote:
The ignorant siblings in the congregation
Gather around spewing sympathy,
Spare me...

None of them can even hold a candle up to you
Blinded by choices, hypocrites
Won't see
The believers express their sympathies but Maynard understands that his mother is dead and in the ground, not beside any divine entity.

Their devotion pales in comparison to his mother's, but their choices of salvation or damnation blind them to the truth of his mother's nature.

Quote:
But enough about the collective Judas
Who could deny you were the one who illuminated
Your little piece of the divine

This little light of mine it gives your past unto me,
I'm going to let it shine,
to guide you safely on your way

Your way home...
His mother obviously shaped his life in profound ways, and he's hoping to preserve that memory and pass on that experience. This stanza also represents Maynard saying goodbye in his heart, if not his words.

Quote:
Ohh, what are they gonna do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they gonna do when the rivers overrun
Other than tremble incessantly?
Without a figure of faith as powerful as his mother, Maynard doubts the believers would be able to overcome their fears.

Quote:
High is the way
But our lives are upon the ground.
You are the light and the way
They'll only read about
I only pray heaven knows
When to lift you out

10000 days in the fire is long enough.
You're going home...
His mother spent 27 years in a stroke induced paralysis, but her devotion never wavered, to her son or to her beliefs. Her example is more powerful than anything written in the Bible, in Maynard's opinion. He hates to see her suffer and only wonders when her body will give out.

Quote:
You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fist at the gates saying,
"I have come home now!"

Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father,
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.

It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my
Give me my wings!..."

You are the light, the way, that they will only read about
His mother can know she deserves into heaven. Moreover, that her faith was worthy of a private audience with her Trinity. Maynard is telling her that if there is any believer on earth that truly deserves sainthood in the afterlife, it's her.

Quote:
Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers.
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one
Maynard gave up on beliefs at a fairly early age but always had to deal with being a minority forced to justify his lack of faith. His mother witnessed his transition and both stuck by her son but never wavered in her Christianity.

Quote:
Daylight dims leaving cool flourescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look him in the eye
Look him in the eye and tell him,
"I never lived a lie, never took a life,
But surely saved one
Hallejullah,
It's time for you to bring me home."
If there is a Christian God, his mother will meet him. If she does, he suggests that she remind him of her virtue and sacrifice, and then request her just rewards.
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-05-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-sentient
very ironic indeed. i hate hipocrites.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #95
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-sentient
very ironic indeed. i hate hipocrites.
05-05-2006, 09:17 AM

. I have viewed this site for years now but only with the release of this album and more so this song i have been inspired to see what the rest of the world has derived from it. some of you still hate blindly but some of you are questioning the spirit and maybe even the change in spirit of our collective hero that is the point and reason for this song, to me anyway. my mother has been terminally ill since i was three and her condition continues to decline, its given both my sister and i a different perspective on life and death, as it tends to do when it stares at you daily. i love the conversation and the hope it gives me for humanity. this may be my only post, i'm not sure, but i just felt compelled to share. thanks for the abstract thoughts.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #96
Level 2 - Poster

. I have viewed this site for years now but only with the release of this album and more so this song i have been inspired to see what the rest of the world has derived from it. some of you still hate blindly but some of you are questioning the spirit and maybe even the change in spirit of our collective hero that is the point and reason for this song, to me anyway. my mother has been terminally ill since i was three and her condition continues to decline, its given both my sister and i a different perspective on life and death, as it tends to do when it stares at you daily. i love the conversation and the hope it gives me for humanity. this may be my only post, i'm not sure, but i just felt compelled to share. thanks for the abstract thoughts.
WitlessLiar
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:

[1]
For the ways

(FUCK Your God)
Your Lord, your Christ
(He did this)
Took all you had and
(Left you this way)
(Taste of the fruit)

Into his side
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

Oh so many ways
For me to show you

(Pray)
(Choke on a lie)
(Did this to you)

Into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...
Where I certainly loved the Jimmy/Judith explanation (after all of my reading into it I didn't know that until now), I don't want to steal your thunder or piss on your parade but that's been on wikipedia for weeks.

But I never would have known that if I didn't go there. So really, congrats :)
Old 05-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #97

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

[1]
For the ways

(FUCK Your God)
Your Lord, your Christ
(He did this)
Took all you had and
(Left you this way)
(Taste of the fruit)

Into his side
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

Oh so many ways
For me to show you

(Pray)
(Choke on a lie)
(Did this to you)

Into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...
Where I certainly loved the Jimmy/Judith explanation (after all of my reading into it I didn't know that until now), I don't want to steal your thunder or piss on your parade but that's been on wikipedia for weeks.

But I never would have known that if I didn't go there. So really, congrats :)
toolmaul
05-05-2006, 04:41 PM

ok i've gotten jumped on for mentioning this in other thread but I'll try it here too, anyone else think that maynard might not have just written 3 songs about his mom, how about pushit, she pushes her religion on him, he fights back, is angry says horrible things, writes cruel songs, but "remember i will always love you, as I claw your fucking throat away"
Then The Patient, about reconciling and the pain that you go through when you reconcile after a nasty break, the schism, about the act of reconciliation.
And finally Reflection, about accepting death, and that it's going to happen and it might not be a bad thing.
These along with jimmy, and Judith, and Wings.
Remember this is an opinion section, no one can have a right or wrong OPINION
Old 05-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

ok i've gotten jumped on for mentioning this in other thread but I'll try it here too, anyone else think that maynard might not have just written 3 songs about his mom, how about pushit, she pushes her religion on him, he fights back, is angry says horrible things, writes cruel songs, but "remember i will always love you, as I claw your fucking throat away"
Then The Patient, about reconciling and the pain that you go through when you reconcile after a nasty break, the schism, about the act of reconciliation.
And finally Reflection, about accepting death, and that it's going to happen and it might not be a bad thing.
win's Avatar win
05-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS? You're kidding right? The title is fucking JUDITH, it doesn't get much clearer that that. Not to mention Fuck your GOD, your LORD, your CHRIST, he did this! I hope you're kidding and not seriously that stupid!
In all fairness Judith's meaning first of all isn't that obvious. For a year or so before i knew who Maynard mother was (which is a scary concept that we are all talking about his mother online... I wonder how he feels... then again he put it out...) I thought it was some obcure biblical reference relating to christ. Song's like Judith show Maynard's unbelievable ability to make messages allegorical and hold more than one meaning. For example before knowing MJK's mother's story
"You're such an inspiration for the ways
How the savior has abandoned you
Fuck your God"
Makes perfect sense understood as MJK adress Jesus as a person who thinks they are a prophet in a world that, unknown to him, doesn't have a god. Much like Eulogy.

I think it is amazing how MJK can do this with so many of his references and I don't think it is just to 'fuck with people' as some people in some threads have mocked. Rather I think it is to show a connection between different themes, emotions, and types of thinking. I think of them much more as unbelievable literary devices.

MJK is a mastermind in so many ways...
Old 05-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #99
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS? You're kidding right? The title is fucking JUDITH, it doesn't get much clearer that that. Not to mention Fuck your GOD, your LORD, your CHRIST, he did this! I hope you're kidding and not seriously that stupid!
In all fairness Judith's meaning first of all isn't that obvious. For a year or so before i knew who Maynard mother was (which is a scary concept that we are all talking about his mother online... I wonder how he feels... then again he put it out...) I thought it was some obcure biblical reference relating to christ. Song's like Judith show Maynard's unbelievable ability to make messages allegorical and hold more than one meaning. For example before knowing MJK's mother's story
"You're such an inspiration for the ways
How the savior has abandoned you
Fuck your God"
Makes perfect sense understood as MJK adress Jesus as a person who thinks they are a prophet in a world that, unknown to him, doesn't have a god. Much like Eulogy.

I think it is amazing how MJK can do this with so many of his references and I don't think it is just to 'fuck with people' as some people in some threads have mocked. Rather I think it is to show a connection between different themes, emotions, and types of thinking. I think of them much more as unbelievable literary devices.

MJK is a mastermind in so many ways...
bigwood303's Avatar bigwood303
05-05-2006, 05:41 PM

How about this for a little different take on 10,000 days, think of it as a bit of a juxtoposition, a duality of sorts as there appears to be in everything else that Tool does. Tool are like onions, many layers... the math may or may not be exact with what I'm going to throw out at you, but work with it. I'm sure someone out there with a pocket protector will either corroborate me or throw me under the bus.

MJK just had his 42nd birhday, give or take a number of days. A long time ago (or not so long ago) Tool released their E.P., Opiate in 1992 (14 years ago) depending on the month. By my calculation, give or take a few days for leap years. He was alive almost 10K days until their release date.

Actually because I've done the math. He was born on April 17, 1964. Opiate was released on March 10, 1992. 10,189 days from his date of birth until their first release. However, we can bring it in a little closer. As we all know or should know. He was only in LA playing with the guys a few months before they landed their first deal, which would narrow in a lot closer on 10K days.

Just another way of looking at it....
Old 05-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #100
Level 3 - Talker

How about this for a little different take on 10,000 days, think of it as a bit of a juxtoposition, a duality of sorts as there appears to be in everything else that Tool does. Tool are like onions, many layers... the math may or may not be exact with what I'm going to throw out at you, but work with it. I'm sure someone out there with a pocket protector will either corroborate me or throw me under the bus.

MJK just had his 42nd birhday, give or take a number of days. A long time ago (or not so long ago) Tool released their E.P., Opiate in 1992 (14 years ago) depending on the month. By my calculation, give or take a few days for leap years. He was alive almost 10K days until their release date.

Actually because I've done the math. He was born on April 17, 1964. Opiate was released on March 10, 1992. 10,189 days from his date of birth until their first release. However, we can bring it in a little closer. As we all know or should know. He was only in LA playing with the guys a few months before they landed their first deal, which would narrow in a lot closer on 10K days.

05-05-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood303

with the references to marie and the lack of explanation of why those 10,000 days would be seen by him as in metaphorical fire I am sticking with the judith paralysis interpretation. BUT this is very interesting and I would be curious to see if there is any double meaning in the song- MJK often alludes to more than one thing in a reference. Kuddos for good original thought
Old 05-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #101
win

Quote:

with the references to marie and the lack of explanation of why those 10,000 days would be seen by him as in metaphorical fire I am sticking with the judith paralysis interpretation. BUT this is very interesting and I would be curious to see if there is any double meaning in the song- MJK often alludes to more than one thing in a reference. Kuddos for good original thought
StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
05-05-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
...Opiate was released on March 10, 1992. 10,189 days from his date of birth until their first release. However, we can bring it in a little closer. As we all know or should know. He was only in LA playing with the guys a few months before they landed their first deal, which would narrow in a lot closer on 10K days.

ITS NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT... you are all trying to put pieces of a puzzle together that don't fit. "10,000 days in the fire is long enough...." 10,000 days is the 27 years that Judith Marie was suffering and dying, before she ("pillar of faith") had ascended (passed away). I thought that was obvious to everyone. SHIT I JUST REALIZED THE VERY FIRST POST HERE ON PAGE ONE IS CORRECT... JUST LOOK AT THAT ONE

Last edited by StereoScopicLenses; 05-05-2006 at 06:08 PM..
Old 05-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #102

Quote:
...Opiate was released on March 10, 1992. 10,189 days from his date of birth until their first release. However, we can bring it in a little closer. As we all know or should know. He was only in LA playing with the guys a few months before they landed their first deal, which would narrow in a lot closer on 10K days.

ITS NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT... you are all trying to put pieces of a puzzle together that don't fit. "10,000 days in the fire is long enough...." 10,000 days is the 27 years that Judith Marie was suffering and dying, before she ("pillar of faith") had ascended (passed away). I thought that was obvious to everyone. SHIT I JUST REALIZED THE VERY FIRST POST HERE ON PAGE ONE IS CORRECT... JUST LOOK AT THAT ONE

Last edited by StereoScopicLenses; 05-05-2006 at 06:08 PM..
bigwood303's Avatar bigwood303
05-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Let me reference my first paragraph,

"How about this for a little different take on 10,000 days, think of it as a bit of a juxtoposition, a duality of sorts as there appears to be in everything else that Tool does. Tool are like onions, many layers... the math may or may not be exact with what I'm going to throw out at you, but work with it. I'm sure someone out there with a pocket protector will either corroborate me or throw me under the bus."

I never said that I didn't agree with the other interpretations, nor did I say they were a bunch of b.s. I just said that this is another interesting way of looking at it, Tool always has subtle undertones and multiple meanings- take it for that... Be it correct or just pure coincidence, the math does work. I will acknowledge that is is quite a stretch and other than it adds up mathematically, it doesn't have much validity otherwise.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #103
Level 3 - Talker

Let me reference my first paragraph,

"How about this for a little different take on 10,000 days, think of it as a bit of a juxtoposition, a duality of sorts as there appears to be in everything else that Tool does. Tool are like onions, many layers... the math may or may not be exact with what I'm going to throw out at you, but work with it. I'm sure someone out there with a pocket protector will either corroborate me or throw me under the bus."

I never said that I didn't agree with the other interpretations, nor did I say they were a bunch of b.s. I just said that this is another interesting way of looking at it, Tool always has subtle undertones and multiple meanings- take it for that... Be it correct or just pure coincidence, the math does work. I will acknowledge that is is quite a stretch and other than it adds up mathematically, it doesn't have much validity otherwise.
05-05-2006, 06:24 PM

Oh yeah Stereoscopic lenses, before you went and broke down in tears and started blowing snot bubbles over my slightly different way of approaching it, you should have paid a little more attention to my subtlety of saying it was just another way of looking at it. It probably didn't warrant my initial response, but generally I take the average Tool fan as someone who can read between the lines.

-A smart man and a stupid ignorant man are arguing. Every one that is close and can hear what they are saying know who the smart man is. Everyone standing away and can't hear a thing but know that the two are arguing, can't tell which is the stupid and ignorant and who is the smart one...-
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #104
Level 3 - Talker

Oh yeah Stereoscopic lenses, before you went and broke down in tears and started blowing snot bubbles over my slightly different way of approaching it, you should have paid a little more attention to my subtlety of saying it was just another way of looking at it. It probably didn't warrant my initial response, but generally I take the average Tool fan as someone who can read between the lines.

-A smart man and a stupid ignorant man are arguing. Every one that is close and can hear what they are saying know who the smart man is. Everyone standing away and can't hear a thing but know that the two are arguing, can't tell which is the stupid and ignorant and who is the smart one...-
05-05-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance19
with cristians saved normally means converted, get my drift.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #105
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance19
with cristians saved normally means converted, get my drift.
win's Avatar win
05-05-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
no need for condescension. I think plenty of us got it. we were mostly talking about other things that came off of the discussion. further more there is no real need to be condescending even if everyone else didn't get it. a lot of people here don't spend forever reading about tool or even if they are just stupid and don't get the 'obvious' as you called it- attitude not necessary man
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #106
win

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
no need for condescension. I think plenty of us got it. we were mostly talking about other things that came off of the discussion. further more there is no real need to be condescending even if everyone else didn't get it. a lot of people here don't spend forever reading about tool or even if they are just stupid and don't get the 'obvious' as you called it- attitude not necessary man
peolesdru
05-06-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
oh, my mistake.. i was doing it in a hurry.. averaging out the leap years should be more like 365x3 + 366 divided by 4.. so you're right it would be 365.25.. i just added 365+366 and divded by 2.
A year is 365.242375 days.

In actuality the extra day every four years adds a bit too much, so in any year divisible by 100, they don't do the extra day, unless the year is divisible by 400 - which recoups the 3 extra days that occur over 400 years. A year is 365.2422 days. So in 1700, 1800 and 1900 there was no leap day, but recently in 2000 there was. Multiply 365.25 by 400 and subtract from it 365.2422 times 400 and you get 3 extra days.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:56 AM   #107
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
oh, my mistake.. i was doing it in a hurry.. averaging out the leap years should be more like 365x3 + 366 divided by 4.. so you're right it would be 365.25.. i just added 365+366 and divded by 2.

In actuality the extra day every four years adds a bit too much, so in any year divisible by 100, they don't do the extra day, unless the year is divisible by 400 - which recoups the 3 extra days that occur over 400 years. A year is 365.2422 days. So in 1700, 1800 and 1900 there was no leap day, but recently in 2000 there was. Multiply 365.25 by 400 and subtract from it 365.2422 times 400 and you get 3 extra days.
stezra
05-06-2006, 06:20 AM

I was thinking maybe his "bold suggestion" was "fuck your god" from judith... since that was harsh now that she's dead. But I guess if that colon is there that means "If you should meet..." is the bold suggestion. I'll be interested to see if there's official lyrics with a colon there eventually.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #108
Level 1 - Lurker

I was thinking maybe his "bold suggestion" was "fuck your god" from judith... since that was harsh now that she's dead. But I guess if that colon is there that means "If you should meet..." is the bold suggestion. I'll be interested to see if there's official lyrics with a colon there eventually.
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peolesdru

ok thanks for the pedantry, but does it change what i said?

:P
Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #109
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

Quote:
Originally Posted by peolesdru

ok thanks for the pedantry, but does it change what i said?

:P
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaul

I'm not trying to jump down your throat but your interp of reflection is totally off. Maynard says in an interview with a college professor from boston that the song is about the purity of information and how the human ego obscures that information and takes credit for it, much in the same way that the moon would take credit for the sun's light, even when it is only a reflector (as full and bright as I am, this light is not my own and a million light reflections pass over me). We are reflecors of knowlege and information that does not truly belong to us.

Kudos for the attempt though. I can see pushit and the patient in the argument but schism and reflection seem a little bit of a stretch to me.

Last edited by bloodydecember; 05-07-2006 at 06:57 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #110
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaul

I'm not trying to jump down your throat but your interp of reflection is totally off. Maynard says in an interview with a college professor from boston that the song is about the purity of information and how the human ego obscures that information and takes credit for it, much in the same way that the moon would take credit for the sun's light, even when it is only a reflector (as full and bright as I am, this light is not my own and a million light reflections pass over me). We are reflecors of knowlege and information that does not truly belong to us.

Kudos for the attempt though. I can see pushit and the patient in the argument but schism and reflection seem a little bit of a stretch to me.

Last edited by bloodydecember; 05-07-2006 at 06:57 PM..
Disco
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah a little of the old "the birth of the audience comes at the death of the author" type of thing, the problem is that is not really perfectly accurate. Poets/Authors aren't likely to write about things they are not interested in so when it comes to interpteing their work of course you do not take everything literally, but looking at their life and trying to get an understanding often goes a long way into figuring out what is going on.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #111
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Yeah a little of the old "the birth of the audience comes at the death of the author" type of thing, the problem is that is not really perfectly accurate. Poets/Authors aren't likely to write about things they are not interested in so when it comes to interpteing their work of course you do not take everything literally, but looking at their life and trying to get an understanding often goes a long way into figuring out what is going on.
Frogwoman
05-07-2006, 08:07 PM

The first time I saw A Perfect Circle before their first CD was released Maynard introduced Judith as "This song is about a whore" Is his mother a whore? Is god the whore?

Last edited by Frogwoman; 05-07-2006 at 08:11 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #112
Level 1 - Lurker

The first time I saw A Perfect Circle before their first CD was released Maynard introduced Judith as "This song is about a whore" Is his mother a whore? Is god the whore?

Last edited by Frogwoman; 05-07-2006 at 08:11 PM..
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-08-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwoman
He also introduced the song "vacant," which later became "Passive" by saying "This song is called fuck brittany spears.......... in the ass"

He was probably fucked up.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #113
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwoman
He also introduced the song "vacant," which later became "Passive" by saying "This song is called fuck brittany spears.......... in the ass"

He was probably fucked up.
08-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth View Post
10 000 divided by 365 = 27.3972603

and if you average the normal 365 day year with the 366 day leap year, you get an average year length of 365.5 which yeilds:

10 000 divided by 365.5 = 27.3597811

so yeah.. no matter how you slice it, 10000 days is no where near 36.5 years.
Sorry... actually when you consider leap years, the average length of the year works out to 365.25 days, plus about 15 minutes.

Otherwise, yes, totally, there is no way that 10000 days is 36 years and six months. It's much closer to 27 years 3 months.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #114
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth View Post
10 000 divided by 365 = 27.3972603

and if you average the normal 365 day year with the 366 day leap year, you get an average year length of 365.5 which yeilds:

10 000 divided by 365.5 = 27.3597811

so yeah.. no matter how you slice it, 10000 days is no where near 36.5 years.
Sorry... actually when you consider leap years, the average length of the year works out to 365.25 days, plus about 15 minutes.

Otherwise, yes, totally, there is no way that 10000 days is 36 years and six months. It's much closer to 27 years 3 months.
Th1rd Eye
04-29-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind View Post

[1]
For the ways

(FUCK Your God)
Your Lord, your Christ
(He did this)
Took all you had and
(Left you this way)
(Taste of the fruit)

Into his side
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

Oh so many ways
For me to show you

(Pray)
(Choke on a lie)
(Did this to you)

Into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

WOW - right in the face
I always thought Judith was about his lack of belief in Jesus

it makes sense, thank you for this
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind View Post

[1]
For the ways

(FUCK Your God)
Your Lord, your Christ
(He did this)
Took all you had and
(Left you this way)
(Taste of the fruit)

Into his side
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

Oh so many ways
For me to show you

(Pray)
(Choke on a lie)
(Did this to you)

Into his side
Talk to Jesus Christ
He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

He did it all for you...

WOW - right in the face
I always thought Judith was about his lack of belief in Jesus

it makes sense, thank you for this
Z3dsdead
09-02-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
10,000days - 36.5years - "Bible clearly said that Jesus was resurrected 36.5 "Biblical" years after His birth"
You are a shining example of a failed education. A remedial math class would be useful. 10,000 days is 27.3 years. (ignoring the extended decimal places.)
Old 09-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #116
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
10,000days - 36.5years - "Bible clearly said that Jesus was resurrected 36.5 "Biblical" years after His birth"
You are a shining example of a failed education. A remedial math class would be useful. 10,000 days is 27.3 years. (ignoring the extended decimal places.)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply