Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
bass_dude's Avatar bass_dude
03-24-2006, 06:48 AM

Just a quick question, once i have an answer i'll delete this (if i can do that on this board): How long (roughly) do Tool generally play? (question for those who have seen them before, obviously). I'm trying to figure out roughly what time i'll be home afterwards, and weather or not there is time for anough of the Old stuff to keep me satisfied as well as the new.

Cheers

Alex
Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Set Length

Just a quick question, once i have an answer i'll delete this (if i can do that on this board): How long (roughly) do Tool generally play? (question for those who have seen them before, obviously). I'm trying to figure out roughly what time i'll be home afterwards, and weather or not there is time for anough of the Old stuff to keep me satisfied as well as the new.

Cheers

Alex
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
chalimar's Avatar chalimar
03-24-2006, 06:52 AM

They mostly did ~2 hours at the Lateralus tour.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #2

Bincount™: 4
Re: Set Length

mattw
03-24-2006, 07:08 AM

2 hours for most shows

e.g. Tool: 9pm-11pm

12 songs on the Lateralus tour - have a look at the tour section on this site for more details...
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

2 hours for most shows

e.g. Tool: 9pm-11pm

12 songs on the Lateralus tour - have a look at the tour section on this site for more details...
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Andorion's Avatar Andorion
03-24-2006, 07:09 AM

You can't delete posts or threads on this board, sorry =) I wonder if they'll play some longer sets this new tour... I can't imagine the band can handle more than 2 hours at a time though.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13

You can't delete posts or threads on this board, sorry =) I wonder if they'll play some longer sets this new tour... I can't imagine the band can handle more than 2 hours at a time though.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
03-24-2006, 07:15 AM

About 2 hours
Old 03-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

About 2 hours
The Village Too
03-24-2006, 07:17 AM

yeah don't expect it to be more than 2 hours. i'm pretty sure maynard's gonna rupture his throat on the upcoming tours

just don't say i didn't warn you
Old 03-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

yeah don't expect it to be more than 2 hours. i'm pretty sure maynard's gonna rupture his throat on the upcoming tours

Snakedragon
03-24-2006, 07:24 AM

dont tool have an intermission for like 15-20 mins in the middle?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 AM   #7

Bincount™: 3

Metlamaniac's Avatar Metlamaniac
03-24-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Too

oh we know....we know

Check -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4284365265567106977&q=maynard
Old 03-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #8

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Too

oh we know....we know

Check -

03-24-2006, 07:37 AM

Cool guys, thanks for that info :)

Alex
Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #9

Cool guys, thanks for that info :)

Alex
pork chops's Avatar pork chops
03-24-2006, 07:37 AM

i would agree with the 2 hour set time. i will say this, do not expect an encore. Tool does not play them. i have seen tool 7 times and they have never played an encore. it's funny hearing peole complain about it on the way out of the arena. all i can do is laugh. i mean you just witnessed a band that gives you everything they have in the name of their art and all you can do is cry about no encore. give me a break. if you have seen tool i'm sure that you would agree with me that there is no need for an encore. and if you haven't seen tool you need to. best show i have ever been to was the seattle stop on the lataralus tour.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 10891

i would agree with the 2 hour set time. i will say this, do not expect an encore. Tool does not play them. i have seen tool 7 times and they have never played an encore. it's funny hearing peole complain about it on the way out of the arena. all i can do is laugh. i mean you just witnessed a band that gives you everything they have in the name of their art and all you can do is cry about no encore. give me a break. if you have seen tool i'm sure that you would agree with me that there is no need for an encore. and if you haven't seen tool you need to. best show i have ever been to was the seattle stop on the lataralus tour.
Snakedragon
03-24-2006, 07:39 AM

damn 2 hours is not enough to fit in lots of tool music :(

it will still be awesome though *crosses fingers*
Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #11

damn 2 hours is not enough to fit in lots of tool music :(

it will still be awesome though *crosses fingers*
Andorion's Avatar Andorion
03-24-2006, 07:43 AM

I heard they did play an "encore" of sorts at just a few shows... they came out about 20 minutes after the show ended and performed Faaip de Oiad. "Secret" track performance.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:43 AM   #12
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

I heard they did play an "encore" of sorts at just a few shows... they came out about 20 minutes after the show ended and performed Faaip de Oiad. "Secret" track performance.
Comebackrunning's Avatar Comebackrunning
03-24-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedragon
I think when I saw them they had an intermission whilst the schism vid was previewed.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:43 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
I think when I saw them they had an intermission whilst the schism vid was previewed.
03-24-2006, 07:45 AM

if they have a break in the middle, wouldnt they be ok to play for 3 hours altogether?

like 1 hour 30 mins 1st set, break for 30 mins, then another 1 hour 30 set?

thats what lots of bands do from personal experience
Old 03-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #14

if they have a break in the middle, wouldnt they be ok to play for 3 hours altogether?

03-24-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorion
how could they "perform" Faaip de Oiad..?

I think an encore would be cool, if Maynard is tired, do D/R/T, that would be awsome. (after ending the Main Show on Lateralus, of course)

Alex
Old 03-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:

I think an encore would be cool, if Maynard is tired, do D/R/T, that would be awsome. (after ending the Main Show on Lateralus, of course)

Alex
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
03-24-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_dude

Alex
s'just guitar with heavy effects and drums i thought, but i could be wrong, i dont listen to this track much. at night it wakes me up and i always have a few seconds of terror trying to figure out what the fuck that freaky noise is
Old 03-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:

Alex
s'just guitar with heavy effects and drums i thought, but i could be wrong, i dont listen to this track much. at night it wakes me up and i always have a few seconds of terror trying to figure out what the fuck that freaky noise is
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erazorhead
I always thought it was just danny drumming away with static over the top- didn't think there was guitar in there at all.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by erazorhead
I always thought it was just danny drumming away with static over the top- didn't think there was guitar in there at all.
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
03-24-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:

No break in the middle, just Adam playing the same 3 notes over and over again.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #18
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Quote:

No break in the middle, just Adam playing the same 3 notes over and over again.
the usual's Avatar the usual
03-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalimar
W/ an halfhour iintermission.
remember the face who's skin would pull back and expose the skull.
Amazing special effect.
I'm sure their festival sets will be shorter than the set they play on their own tour.

Last edited by the usual; 03-24-2006 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: because
Old 03-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalimar
W/ an halfhour iintermission.
remember the face who's skin would pull back and expose the skull.
Amazing special effect.
I'm sure their festival sets will be shorter than the set they play on their own tour.

Last edited by the usual; 03-24-2006 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: because
03-24-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual
That's a given. They aren't even Headlining Reading- Pearl Jam are- that won't leave too long for a set.

Alex
Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by the usual
That's a given. They aren't even Headlining Reading- Pearl Jam are- that won't leave too long for a set.

Alex
RedVilliam
03-24-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Alex
Oh, how that must suck for PJ....

I too have seen Tool multiple times and I've never seen them do an encore. During the Lateralus tour they did play about to hours no "intermission" per say but if you could call it the middle of the set there is like 15 minutes or so where everything is dark and our just hearing noise rainging from all of the "odd" traks like mantra,
(-) <--- that one.

Seriously though, Tool Live is something you really have to experience to understand. If your not a fan and are just going with your friends you will leave as a fan; If you are "just a fan" you'll leave with a new favorite band; If they are your favorite band it's probly as close to nirvana as anyone of us is ever going to get ; P
every rule?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:

Alex

I too have seen Tool multiple times and I've never seen them do an encore. During the Lateralus tour they did play about to hours no "intermission" per say but if you could call it the middle of the set there is like 15 minutes or so where everything is dark and our just hearing noise rainging from all of the "odd" traks like mantra,
(-) <--- that one.

Seriously though, Tool Live is something you really have to experience to understand. If your not a fan and are just going with your friends you will leave as a fan; If you are "just a fan" you'll leave with a new favorite band; If they are your favorite band it's probly as close to nirvana as anyone of us is ever going to get ; P
every rule?
alucinar's Avatar alucinar
03-24-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Alex
bass_dude I've heard bout the PJ Tool reading fest story but nothing is confirmed yet as far as I know and most importantly which days these guys will be playing (oh please for PJ headline with tool beforehand)
Old 03-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Alex
bass_dude I've heard bout the PJ Tool reading fest story but nothing is confirmed yet as far as I know and most importantly which days these guys will be playing (oh please for PJ headline with tool beforehand)
03-24-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVilliam

(-) <--- that one.

Haha, i know, me and my bandmates are heading down there, I'm a huge Tool Fan, the others are too, but not as much as i am, so this is going to be awsome. Standing too- I'm not going to be able to stop talking at school the next day :)

Alex
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVilliam

(-) <--- that one.

Haha, i know, me and my bandmates are heading down there, I'm a huge Tool Fan, the others are too, but not as much as i am, so this is going to be awsome. Standing too- I'm not going to be able to stop talking at school the next day :)

Alex
HiPp_1's Avatar HiPp_1
03-24-2006, 09:36 AM

I feel sorry for Pearl Jam, no way they can follow TOOL
Old 03-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #24

Bincount™: 9

I feel sorry for Pearl Jam, no way they can follow TOOL
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
03-24-2006, 09:51 AM

at the brisbane show they took a break to show the parabol/parabola clip
Old 03-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

at the brisbane show they took a break to show the parabol/parabola clip
03-24-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
yeah, actually now that i listen to it again, its just fuzz noise and static.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
yeah, actually now that i listen to it again, its just fuzz noise and static.
03-24-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlamaniac
oh we know....we know

Check -

I have never seen this clip. where did you get it, and are there more?

On the same note, I saw Deftones last night, and Chino sounded terrible, his voice was totally fried. I guess he is just spending too much time at the buffet, and not enough time doing vocal workouts.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlamaniac
oh we know....we know

Check -

On the same note, I saw Deftones last night, and Chino sounded terrible, his voice was totally fried. I guess he is just spending too much time at the buffet, and not enough time doing vocal workouts.
03-24-2006, 10:02 AM

1 hour and 40 minutes. This was pretty much the average.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

1 hour and 40 minutes. This was pretty much the average.
adda da suh's Avatar adda da suh
03-24-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatstick

Yeah I saw the Deftones in Cleveland, and Chino sounded awful there too. I thought he used alot of effects on his voice in the studio, but live it is RIDICULOUS!!!! I had no idea what he was saying. I knew what he was SUPPOSED to be saying!!

To sum it up for you. Back in 01' a week or so after 9/11 I was unable to go to the TOOL show in Cleveland, and was home with my kid when the phone rang...it was my buddy who was at the TOOL show. He held up his cell phone, and let me hear all of "pushit" and it sounded better listening to his cell phone on my house phone, than the Deftones did when I was actually there...kind of sad actually. Hey at least the tix were free.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatstick

Yeah I saw the Deftones in Cleveland, and Chino sounded awful there too. I thought he used alot of effects on his voice in the studio, but live it is RIDICULOUS!!!! I had no idea what he was saying. I knew what he was SUPPOSED to be saying!!

To sum it up for you. Back in 01' a week or so after 9/11 I was unable to go to the TOOL show in Cleveland, and was home with my kid when the phone rang...it was my buddy who was at the TOOL show. He held up his cell phone, and let me hear all of "pushit" and it sounded better listening to his cell phone on my house phone, than the Deftones did when I was actually there...kind of sad actually. Hey at least the tix were free.
meatstick's Avatar meatstick
03-24-2006, 10:09 AM

I have seen them (deftones) 7 or 8 times, this was by far the worst. 2 years ago, Chino sounded great. I would be interested to see more clips of Maynard when he has vocal problems. Or just any Tool videos in general.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #30

I have seen them (deftones) 7 or 8 times, this was by far the worst. 2 years ago, Chino sounded great. I would be interested to see more clips of Maynard when he has vocal problems. Or just any Tool videos in general.
03-24-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Mars Volta played for abtou 2 and a half hours straight when I saw em at UCSD, they played pretty much nonstop, was pretty crazy... I was just waiting for the drummers arms to fall off
Old 03-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Mars Volta played for abtou 2 and a half hours straight when I saw em at UCSD, they played pretty much nonstop, was pretty crazy... I was just waiting for the drummers arms to fall off
Boozy Eulogist's Avatar Boozy Eulogist
03-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psims23
Well if we are going to talk about OTHER bands, I can name dozens that I have seen who have put on shows longer than two hours.

Thank God Mars Volta kept it short for me. I like some of their stuff (Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus fits right into my 70s prog collection as a powerhouse.) but they were on an ego trip that night (much like they are in most interviews and off strage) so it was maybe 50 minutes of music and 40 minutes of "how great we are".

It's like a better version of Filter or Audioslave.

Just shut the fuck up and play some music.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by psims23
Well if we are going to talk about OTHER bands, I can name dozens that I have seen who have put on shows longer than two hours.

Thank God Mars Volta kept it short for me. I like some of their stuff (Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus fits right into my 70s prog collection as a powerhouse.) but they were on an ego trip that night (much like they are in most interviews and off strage) so it was maybe 50 minutes of music and 40 minutes of "how great we are".

It's like a better version of Filter or Audioslave.

Just shut the fuck up and play some music.
meatstick's Avatar meatstick
03-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Wonder what then longest set Tool has ever played was?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #33

Wonder what then longest set Tool has ever played was?
03-24-2006, 10:35 AM

I've seen tool 4 times in the last 12 years (unfortunately) but you can bet on a solid 1 and a half hours of pure songs ( minus the segues and other bullshit ) and if your lucky an extra 20 minutes or so , dont think they ever played over 2 hours solid . plus they doing shitloads of festivals in europe so those shows prob just hit the hour mark - not fuckin good enough
Old 03-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

I've seen tool 4 times in the last 12 years (unfortunately) but you can bet on a solid 1 and a half hours of pure songs ( minus the segues and other bullshit ) and if your lucky an extra 20 minutes or so , dont think they ever played over 2 hours solid . plus they doing shitloads of festivals in europe so those shows prob just hit the hour mark - not fuckin good enough
Boozy Eulogist's Avatar Boozy Eulogist
03-24-2006, 10:36 AM

I doubt I'll ever see anyone break The Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party.

The band was breaking up, so they did a final show called the Slumber Party. The show started at 11pm and ended at 8am. They played every song they had ever written, and then did improve and requests, and then played Mr. Bungle's entire self titled album.

God those guys were cool.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

I doubt I'll ever see anyone break The Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party.

The band was breaking up, so they did a final show called the Slumber Party. The show started at 11pm and ended at 8am. They played every song they had ever written, and then did improve and requests, and then played Mr. Bungle's entire self titled album.

God those guys were cool.
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
03-24-2006, 10:45 AM

dude i know what yall mean about the deftones thing, I saw them right after White pony came out and chino was just wasted, pants were falling down, voice was horrible, rest of the band was pissed. But then i saw them right after the last self/titled album came out they fucking ripped that place up, hadnt seen a better show since I had seen tool back in '02.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

dude i know what yall mean about the deftones thing, I saw them right after White pony came out and chino was just wasted, pants were falling down, voice was horrible, rest of the band was pissed. But then i saw them right after the last self/titled album came out they fucking ripped that place up, hadnt seen a better show since I had seen tool back in '02.
03-24-2006, 10:53 AM

not long enough
Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #37
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 297

not long enough
03-24-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI
not long enough
indeed.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #38

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI
not long enough
indeed.
tooldude's Avatar tooldude
03-24-2006, 11:14 AM

i saw the mars volta with apc a couple years ago.....i was impressed. they played a damn good show...they played about an hour and a half and played only 3 songs.
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

i saw the mars volta with apc a couple years ago.....i was impressed. they played a damn good show...they played about an hour and a half and played only 3 songs.
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
orange.juice's Avatar orange.juice
03-24-2006, 11:17 AM

yeh, the Mars Volta live are very nice.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #40
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

yeh, the Mars Volta live are very nice.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread