opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Hush
User Name
Password
Old 12-23-2002, 09:22 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Did they blow it???

I like this video for the song, but without it... hell. It makes a point and that's about it. What's the deal? Did Adam Jones roll over to the "genius" director they hired?
Old 12-23-2003, 01:04 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Did they blow it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostia
Did Adam Jones roll over to the "genius" director they hired?
I just wanted to post a few comments in response:

1) This was the first video, and debut artists generally don't have a hell of a lot of control over what/how-what gets released (i.e., "I sold my soul to make a record, dip-shit");

2) The "genius" director in question was, I believe, Ken Andrews of much- (and lately Year of the Rabbit-)fame, who was apparently somewhat dear to the band at the time and still appears dear at least to Maynard (since, at the recent Pittsburgh APC concert, Maynard dedicated "The Nurse Who Loved Me" to Ken*), which potentially indicates an admirable amount of control from the get-go;

3) Jones isn't specifically credited for the video, in any way, shape, or form, so he can't really be ACCUSED of rolling over, sucking up**; and, finally, triumphantly,

4) The video worked. You bought 'em, didn't ya, buddy?

"I sold my soul to make a record dip-shit, and then you bought one. So I've got some advice for you, little buddy. Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man. If I'm the fuckin' man, then you're the fuckin' man as well, so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass." --Who Knows?

*Funny side note: When Maynard made the dedication at APC's Pittsburgh concert, a hundred or so sheep looked around nervously and asked, "Who? (Baaaa?) Who?"
**Side, side note: The top/bottom "film-negative" effect on Hush appears again in Aenema and is a matter of debate in that video's forum here.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

I bought all the albums and that video is awesome too.

- Maynard James Keenan
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by salival_sty
I just wanted to post a few comments in response:

1) This was the first video, and debut artists generally don't have a hell of a lot of control over what/how-what gets released (i.e., "I sold my soul to make a record, dip-shit");

2) The "genius" director in question was, I believe, Ken Andrews of much- (and lately Year of the Rabbit-)fame, who was apparently somewhat dear to the band at the time and still appears dear at least to Maynard (since, at the recent Pittsburgh APC concert, Maynard dedicated "The Nurse Who Loved Me" to Ken*), which potentially indicates an admirable amount of control from the get-go;

3) Jones isn't specifically credited for the video, in any way, shape, or form, so he can't really be ACCUSED of rolling over, sucking up**; and, finally, triumphantly,

4) The video worked. You bought 'em, didn't ya, buddy?

"I sold my soul to make a record dip-shit, and then you bought one. So I've got some advice for you, little buddy. Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man. If I'm the fuckin' man, then you're the fuckin' man as well, so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass." --Who Knows?

*Funny side note: When Maynard made the dedication at APC's Pittsburgh concert, a hundred or so sheep looked around nervously and asked, "Who? (Baaaa?) Who?"
**Side, side note: The top/bottom "film-negative" effect on Hush appears again in Aenema and is a matter of debate in that video's forum here.

Bwahahaha! that was awesome! i quote that song all the time!

Well put, my friend.

I think the video does the job...it has impact...

there's the reasons listed above...but i think there was another factor at work that resulted in the video being somewhat mediocre...at least compared to their later works...but i was thinking budget...the smaller fanbase they had back then likely generated less money to add a great deal of production value to their work...

yup.

but it worked.

'nuff said.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: