opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/04 - Leipzig, GER - Leipzig Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober (ft. Phil Campbell from Motorhead)
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/04 - Leipzig, GER - Arena

The setlist is ok.. this concert was incredible, amazing... the light show and everything was so perfect, it was a greeat show.. came back home at 7am, I am tired, but I would definetely go to Stuttgart tonight if ihad the money.. Maybe the best concert I´ve seen.... I LOVE TOOL, enough said...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: 2006/12/04 - Leipzig, GER - Arena

the setlist is correct! and yes, that motorhead-guy was really there.

concert was incredible! far far better than berlin in june. the new stuff with the lasers was just awesome. the band was amazing as usual.
man, i wish i could see them again soon....
came home by 7:30 am, tired and happy. thanks to harvey and manu, hanging out with you was great.
this was one of the best concerts i've ever been to.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Re: 2006/12/04 - Leipzig, GER - Leipzig Arena

yeehah, thread finally unlocked :D

Setlist:

Stinkfist
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Sober
- - - - - -
Wings 1+2
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

not only was this my first Tool concert, it was also my first larger concert overall.

Mastodon entered the stage at 8:15 pm. I did not know them before and as expected it was just not my kind of music. overall sound quality was good, bass was ultra-heavy, I moved back a few steps and put ear protection in. they played a solid setlist of maybe ten songs. I enjoyed the final three songs more then the rest as those where a bit more complex.

the venue - the Leipzig Arena - was far too large. it usually houses big sport events as well as big concerts. it takes up to 12.000 people. Monday evening one quarter of the main hall was reserved for the stage, so we are talking about a total capacity of 9-10.000 people here. I was kind of sad to see that while Mastodon was playing maybe only 30% of that capacity was used. I was constantly looking around if the place was filling up when Tool came close.

Tool entered the stage at 9:15 pm with the place maybe 45-50% filled. Adam just said "Hi" and things kicked off. Having red about Maynard getting upset with venues only half filled I expected the worst. the upside of such a large venue of course is, that there is a lot of space to move and dance, and that you can get quite close to the stage without getting squished. the overall atmosphere was friendly and peaceful. no stupid clapping either. Tool left at 11:10 pm after approx. 1 h 50 min. bass was heavy, but the voice was clear and loud, so no complain here.

as expected Tool blew my expectations away ;) what makes Tool so so huge is the perfect combination of crystal-clear video, superb audio and beyond-everything overall visuals. if not for maybe two unrecognizable mistakes or delayed notes you couldn't tell this was all live. I don't want to know how much work went into this to achieve this level of ultra quality.

the biggest downside of the evening was for sure the audience. in the beginning only 30% of the crowd was moving *at all*. I couldn't believe it. how in gods name can people stand with their hands in their pockets with a song like Jambi? I tried to figure what kind of guys those people where and I came to the conclusion that is the usual (maybe typically german) "oh-I-am-so-damn-cool-I-won't-dance-type". but it was interesting to see that for the final three songs of the list maybe 70% of the crowd where more or less moving - so you can say Tool finally got them. that's the most positive about it I guess.

there where some visuals I did not know yet: the red spider on black background during 46&2, the UFOs and pyramids during Rosetta Stoned and the shapes of human beings forming a spiral during Lateralus.

did I say lasers? the effect of those green, 60 meters long lines cutting the hall is jaw-dropping. its so simple, yet powerful that I wonder why Tool seems to be the only band using those. the lightning was perfect and the UFO-like effect of the rising and lowering of the spotlights was so so beautiful. plus those white sound-scientists running around, too funny.

Maynard was all gas mask this evening, people were smoking, but only a few. Maynard did not do much dancing, often looking on the screens. he skipped the screaming in Vicarious and in Stinkfist. before Aenema he said the usual "See you again .. somewhere .. spiral out". now I am somewhat concerned because he did not say they would be back next summer ;)
after Sober he thanked "Phil from Motorhead" for his solo: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2802/toollpz1aj4.jpg
I can't remember if it was before Aenema or Vicarious where he came up with the quote from The Big Lebowski: "that creep can roll man, that creep can roll".

- Jambi ... rocked sooo hard, this song was really written for live performances.
- 46&2 ... I was happy this one was in the Setlist and visuals where great.
- Rosetta Stoned ... just like on the album this song somewhat slowed it down. just like Shism it is impossible to dance and you can see some people where lost here. anyway, the UFO and pyramid visuals reminded me of an "X Files" episode I had just seen, where Agent Spender blames Mulder for letting a suspect of murder go for the secret of the pyramids.
- Wings ... this song is pure art and a welcome contrast to the usual headbangers. before Wings the four said down shortly, Maynard then said "Are you ready? Ok then, let's do it". the pause before Wings was only a few seconds, I expected Justin to put up his lighter, but he didn't.
- Lateralus ... loved the bassy first notes, great song.
- Vicarious ... loved the intro music, great one.

I would be happy if they had played The Pot, and even more if they trade Rosetta Stoned for Intension/Right In Two. Not to speak of Eulogy, Part Of Me and D/R/T. But who am I to complain ;) after Aenema the four stood together hugging each other and Maynard said "Oh my" in a whiny-voiced way. was really cute to see that.

personell highlights were 46&2, Jambi, Wings and Vicarious.

I wish they would do something to get the crowd in. some greeting words in german would have done it. after the show I learned that Leipzig must have been multiple times better then Berlin in June in terms of audience, visuals and sound. they said Maynard seemed in a better mood too.

pics from mobile phone:
Wings http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1248/toollpz3xm7.jpg
Vicarious http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3874/toollpz4rj6.jpg and http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1075/toollpz6vu3.jpg

So I now have some more thing to do in life: visit as many Tool shows as possible!

Last edited by tiloprobst; 12-06-2006 at 01:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

What an awesome show. This was my third Tool show and it definately blew München out of the water. Maynard was in a relatively good mood (telling someone to "Suck my dick buddy"). His vocals were lacking a bit, skipping out on some of the more demanding parts. He was also wearing the gas mask again.

The crowd didn't move around very much for either band, but were much more enthusiastic than in München. Maybe it's just the way the people are in Germany, who knows. Where Maynard was lacking, the band definately picked up the slack. There were a lot of solos and mini jam sessions (including an awesome guest solo during Sober by Phil Campbell from Motorhead). Adam is still in my opinion the king of feedback, playing some great solos. Did anyone catch the joke that Maynard made in the beginning about Lil Jon? (What!?! OKAY!). Oh and i didn't even mention the laser show! All i can say is WOW!
The show ended with:
"It's nice to see you all again...if ever, but we hope to see you soon. Spiral... Out" and then Aenema.

Highlights for me were Wings/10KD (what captivating songs...truly beautiful, and no dumbass clapping this time), Lateralus, and Sober. I was really hoping to hear Swamp Song, Eulogy, or The Pot, but the show was still amazing. Definately will go to see them a few times next year.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

First of all, awesome concert!
I already wrote some kind of review for mySpace and i guess it fits here quite good as well.

time went by pretty fast, and so did mastodon. with only 45 minutes of playing, a fucked up sound and an embarrassing motionless crowd it was hard for me to believe that these guys were having any fun on stage, although it wasn't hard to tell their skills and the energy that their music carries. especially the performance of their gig's last song (i'm not into their song's names but it ends with a long instrumental part) was really impressive. mastodon left the stage and we had to wait about 30 more minutes until tool finally started their performance.

they opened the concert with stinkfist followed by 46&2 and jambi, so just guess how i felt after those three headbangers. during schism i tried my best to catch my breath and slow down a bit because i surely didn't want to fade out at my second tool gig as well :) lost keys/rosetta stoned also really kicked ass, although i kinda got the impression that maynard wasn't enjoying this concert as much as the other three guys did, as i'm pretty sure that he left out some of the stanca's lines and replaced them by blabber with less syllabies. this was also the last song after which i noticed adam taking a picture of himself with some small digital camera. next in line, sober came up and so did phil from motorhead. i totally loved the song with the additional guitar, and the great long solo he played even outperformed that. after finishing the song, the guys took a break and sat sown on the stage. my circulatory system appreciated that and i was glad to hear the crowd give the band long and powerful ovations.

they continued with wings pt one and two which was also the beginning for the laser effects to appear. by placing just a few mirrors on the stage and iirc two more somewhere on the ceiling they were able to create some really nice patterns and effects that i surely haven't seen anywhere before. in spite of this and three big and colorful glowing rings beneath the ceiling the most impressive visual was yet to come. at the beginning of lateralus a huge black cover in the back of the stage was let down and an amazingly big net of being covered the back of the stage, changing its colors due to illumination. to that time i got the idea that this might be one of the last songs they would play that evening, and so i managed to push myself away from the center of the crowd and moved forward as fast as possible, ending in the second line in front of the stage. vicarious was just awesome and so was aenema, which led me to lose my voice.

Just as I said above, great concert, almost perfectly played and the visuals were just stunning. I would have appreciated a setlist more different to the one they had in june this year, but still every song they played was great.
Hope to see them again, the sooner the better

Last edited by BadLuckFistFuck; 12-06-2006 at 04:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0nus View Post
Maynard was in a relatively good mood (telling someone to "Suck my dick buddy").
Yeah, almost forget that one. I can't remember who he was aiming at but I guess it was one of those white-dressed sound guys within the first songs.

some additions:
- the beginning of Lateralus was longer then expected, made it a little hard to kick in with movement
- the amount of physical labour that Danny Carey does in a concert is insane. I wonder what this guy has to eat to keep up with the calories he lost
- some seconds of footage in Vicarious might have been new .. i.e. this thorny tongue piece
- the poster I bought looks great, larger then I expected (1m x 1,40 m)

Last edited by tiloprobst; 12-07-2006 at 11:28 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 07:26 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Awesome show, just mindblowing. This was my first Tool show, but after seeing such an awesome show, I would say, it will be not the last. The laser show and the videos were perfect, I've never seen such good effects on a concert. The setlist was good, although I would have found it better if they left out Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned for Third Eye or Right in Two. My favorites on the show were Sober(with the incredible solo of Phil from Motorhead), Lateralus and Aenima. I was a bit disappointed because they didn't play some additional songs.

The supporting band, Mastodon, was ok. Their music is great (they are one of my favorite bands after Tool), but the audio was bad in my opinion. The bass was much too loud (it was so loud that the earth was shaking) and in some parts during Circle of Cysqatch, Colony of Birchmen, Capillarian Crest and The Wolf is Loose I couldn't understand the lyrics.

The audience disappointed me. Nearly no one moved when Mastodon was on stage, and as Tool began to play, only few changed. Most of the people there were just standing there, smoking or drinking, with only few between them who moved.

Awesome show, hope to see them again sometime.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: