Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-01-2007 at 06:40 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/06/29 - Cincinnati, OH

Jambi
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-01-2007 at 06:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
tooldude's Avatar tooldude
06-30-2007, 12:07 PM

am i the first?? hmm..well it was an amazing show, probably the best show ive been to so far...finally got to hear right in two!!! had seats for the first time this tour...it was nice to get a different perspective. i never would have known they project images onto the floor of the stage like that..that was cool. maynard was very talkative tonight but i couldnt really understand most of it (other people talking around us)..i remember him saying something along the lines of "chicago was louder" to get the crowd pumped. and big business was not as bad as everyones been saying. got a pic of the tour bus after the show.. http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1091lo.jpg

setlist:
Jambi
Stinkfist (OTRM)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (OTRM)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Intension (short intro)
Right in Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with drummer from Big Business)
Vicarious
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23

Last edited by tooldude; 06-30-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7
Re: 2007/07/01 - Cincinnati, OH - US Bank Arena

am i the first?? hmm..well it was an amazing show, probably the best show ive been to so far...finally got to hear right in two!!! had seats for the first time this tour...it was nice to get a different perspective. i never would have known they project images onto the floor of the stage like that..that was cool. maynard was very talkative tonight but i couldnt really understand most of it (other people talking around us)..i remember him saying something along the lines of "chicago was louder" to get the crowd pumped. and big business was not as bad as everyones been saying. got a pic of the tour bus after the show.. http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1091lo.jpg

setlist:
Jambi
Stinkfist (OTRM)
Forty Six & 2
Schism (OTRM)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Intension (short intro)
Right in Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with drummer from Big Business)
Vicarious
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23

Last edited by tooldude; 06-30-2007 at 02:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Sordid Singer
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM

First and foremost, let me say that this was by far the best show I've ever seen!!!
From the opening note they blugeoned the arena with such incredible thunder. The setlist is as follows:

Jambi
Stinkfist (EXT)
Forty-Six & 2 (30 second keyboard intro)
Schism (OTRM)
Lost Keys~Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two (Droning keyboard intro, did not sound like Intension to me??)
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (Epic version w/Big Business drummer)
Vicarious

A few thoughts: The vocals could have came up in the mix a little, especially early on. Danny shredded the middle section of Lateralus w/ Big Business drummer, certainly the highlight of my night. The dualing drum solo section was at least 4 to 5 minutes long. Also, being a musician I was really blown away to watch him fill over top of 9/8, with such ease. It only solidified my opinion of him being the greatest drummer ever. I've never been to a show that was so loud, my ears are still ringing 19 hours later. Maynard's vocals were very strong, he sang nearly every note except for the last chorus of "Vicarious" which he asked for the crowds help, pretty cool. Adam and Justin are the anchors of this band, they hold it all down, and have the best sounds in rock music today. Finally the visuals were absolutely killer, and ever changing lights and images. I simply cannot say enough, Tool kills it, and if you have an opportunity to see them: GO!!!

By the way I've sat in the lower sections next to the stage before, and for this show I was about 20 feet from the stage, dead center on the floor, and honestly for me it's the only way to see the show.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

First and foremost, let me say that this was by far the best show I've ever seen!!!
From the opening note they blugeoned the arena with such incredible thunder. The setlist is as follows:

Jambi
Stinkfist (EXT)
Forty-Six & 2 (30 second keyboard intro)
Schism (OTRM)
Lost Keys~Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two (Droning keyboard intro, did not sound like Intension to me??)
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (Epic version w/Big Business drummer)
Vicarious

A few thoughts: The vocals could have came up in the mix a little, especially early on. Danny shredded the middle section of Lateralus w/ Big Business drummer, certainly the highlight of my night. The dualing drum solo section was at least 4 to 5 minutes long. Also, being a musician I was really blown away to watch him fill over top of 9/8, with such ease. It only solidified my opinion of him being the greatest drummer ever. I've never been to a show that was so loud, my ears are still ringing 19 hours later. Maynard's vocals were very strong, he sang nearly every note except for the last chorus of "Vicarious" which he asked for the crowds help, pretty cool. Adam and Justin are the anchors of this band, they hold it all down, and have the best sounds in rock music today. Finally the visuals were absolutely killer, and ever changing lights and images. I simply cannot say enough, Tool kills it, and if you have an opportunity to see them: GO!!!

By the way I've sat in the lower sections next to the stage before, and for this show I was about 20 feet from the stage, dead center on the floor, and honestly for me it's the only way to see the show.
OFFLINE |  
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
06-30-2007, 01:08 PM

What a great show! It was so fucking loud, and the band played tight. I got some great pictures that I will post in the next few days.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

What a great show! It was so fucking loud, and the band played tight. I got some great pictures that I will post in the next few days.
Opiate Son's Avatar Opiate Son
06-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Secyion 130, Row K, seat 12

WOW!!! What a great fucking show!!! My only complaint was that Maynard was a little hard to hear, very hard at times. It was great to hear Right In Two this time and the drum solo was amazing, Maynard held a big roll of toilet paper in front of a floor fan and blew it everywhere, then after the solo he thanked the drummer for Big Business and folowed with "now go pick that shit up". The visuals were even better than in Columbus last year and Maynard seemed to be having a blast. 10,000 Days and Lateralus were definatly highlights tonight as well.

I do miss Aenima as a show closer although Vicarious wasn't a bad way to go out. I was worried that the big fat walrus of a man behind us who apparently thought we all paid $50 to see him hold up his beer and scream about how he likes to party would ruin the night (or somehow get thrown down the stairs) but he even wore himself out.

Overall great show and i can only hope to see them again soon.

p.s. Almost forgot, i drove by the tour bus around 5:30-6:00pm and Justin was standing there with a cycling outfit on and his hair pulled back leaning over and doing something to his bike, it was no doubt him. By the time i even registered that it was Justin (don't know Cinci well and was looking for parking) i had already gone past. Would have loved to had the chance to talk to him for a few minutes.

Last edited by Opiate Son; 06-30-2007 at 02:54 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

Secyion 130, Row K, seat 12

WOW!!! What a great fucking show!!! My only complaint was that Maynard was a little hard to hear, very hard at times. It was great to hear Right In Two this time and the drum solo was amazing, Maynard held a big roll of toilet paper in front of a floor fan and blew it everywhere, then after the solo he thanked the drummer for Big Business and folowed with "now go pick that shit up". The visuals were even better than in Columbus last year and Maynard seemed to be having a blast. 10,000 Days and Lateralus were definatly highlights tonight as well.

I do miss Aenima as a show closer although Vicarious wasn't a bad way to go out. I was worried that the big fat walrus of a man behind us who apparently thought we all paid $50 to see him hold up his beer and scream about how he likes to party would ruin the night (or somehow get thrown down the stairs) but he even wore himself out.

Overall great show and i can only hope to see them again soon.

p.s. Almost forgot, i drove by the tour bus around 5:30-6:00pm and Justin was standing there with a cycling outfit on and his hair pulled back leaning over and doing something to his bike, it was no doubt him. By the time i even registered that it was Justin (don't know Cinci well and was looking for parking) i had already gone past. Would have loved to had the chance to talk to him for a few minutes.

Last edited by Opiate Son; 06-30-2007 at 02:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
FrankBlack007
06-30-2007, 03:39 PM

Setlist above sounds correct.

I concur with what most people have said. The show was amazing (as I'm beginning to think is the norm). Some obvious highlights include Jambi, Wings for Marie & 10k Days, Lateralus and Vicarious.

It was great to hear Right In Two live, but coming where it did after a heavy opening, you could feel some of the less familiar crowd's energy flagging. Pushit or simply mixing up the songs a little could have corrected that, but on the other hand screw 'em, I was transported regardless.

Maynard seemed talkative and (gasped) even faced the crowd for a large amount of the show. Too bad his voice was mixed down so low. Still, you could tell he was into it. When he "came" all over the stage I was laughing my ass off. I'll let someone else explain what that was all about.

On a weird note, I was hammered (but not shouting "BENGALS!" and "STEELERS!" like the fucknuts behind me...I kept praying someone -- anyone -- would remove their feeding tube) and ended up sitting a few seats down from someone I haven't seen in 6 years that I used to work with. He gave me his email addy and I promptly forgot it (damn this short-term memory loss!). Just in case someone knows who I'm talking about, guy's name is Erik...sec. 112 row R. If anyone knows the guy, IM me.

Awesome show! Thanks Tool! Can't wait to see you again!

Great show!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Setlist above sounds correct.

I concur with what most people have said. The show was amazing (as I'm beginning to think is the norm). Some obvious highlights include Jambi, Wings for Marie & 10k Days, Lateralus and Vicarious.

It was great to hear Right In Two live, but coming where it did after a heavy opening, you could feel some of the less familiar crowd's energy flagging. Pushit or simply mixing up the songs a little could have corrected that, but on the other hand screw 'em, I was transported regardless.

Maynard seemed talkative and (gasped) even faced the crowd for a large amount of the show. Too bad his voice was mixed down so low. Still, you could tell he was into it. When he "came" all over the stage I was laughing my ass off. I'll let someone else explain what that was all about.

On a weird note, I was hammered (but not shouting "BENGALS!" and "STEELERS!" like the fucknuts behind me...I kept praying someone -- anyone -- would remove their feeding tube) and ended up sitting a few seats down from someone I haven't seen in 6 years that I used to work with. He gave me his email addy and I promptly forgot it (damn this short-term memory loss!). Just in case someone knows who I'm talking about, guy's name is Erik...sec. 112 row R. If anyone knows the guy, IM me.

Awesome show! Thanks Tool! Can't wait to see you again!

Great show!
OFFLINE |  
FrankBlack007
06-30-2007, 03:40 PM

The following is a submitted review from a friend of mine who couldn't register on this site:

Setlist:
Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism (extended bridge)
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Intension / Right in Two
Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (w/dual drummer jam)
Vicarious

Tool is currently my favorite band and I've been twitching to see this show since I bought the tickets over a month ago. I've spent a lot of time lately listening and enjoying their music. They're a tight band with an overabundance of art to share with their fans. Their show was exactly what I expected: a tight, well-polished band with a fabulous light show. It was a sincere performance in the truest sense.

The only detractor to this show was the absence of "The Pot". I just cannot understand why that particular song would be missing from any date on this tour. "46&2", "Schism", "Stinkfist", "Jambi", "Lateralus", and "Vicarious" seem to have been played every night on this tour and "The Pot" should be added to that list of must-plays. I also think "Ænema" should be thrown into that category, but on this tour "The Pot" is a song a majority of the audience wants to hear and it doesn't make sense not to play it.

The show's first four songs flowed well and the extended bridge in "Schism" just added to the greatness of the song. When "Schism" was over, I thought to myself "this is just unreal". However, the "Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned, Intension / Right in Two, Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days" section of the show dragged. All of the aforementioned songs are brilliant, but lumped together deflated the tempo and meter of a well-paced show. "The Pot" added in between would have been the perfect song to fire the crowd back up.

Ending the show with "Lateralus" and "Vicarous" did bring the audience back to life. However, I've never seen a show where the band did absolutely no encore; it felt kind of weird and abrupt. Everyone just looked around with a "is that it?" look on their face…then the house lights came on. Suggestion: come back out and play a song like "Ænema" or "Pushit". It shows appreciation and would give the audience a certain sense of satisfaction after spending $65 on a ticket.

All in all, this was one of the best hard/alt. metal/prog rock (however you want to "classify" them) shows I've ever seen. The band was unbelievably tight and on their game. The sound and light show were top-notch. This show reminded me of Sabbath meets Floyd with the musicianship of Rush. Maynard interacted well with the audience and Danny's drumming was mind-blowing.

**the above is a submitted review from a friend of mine.

Last edited by FrankBlack007; 06-30-2007 at 03:43 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

The following is a submitted review from a friend of mine who couldn't register on this site:

Setlist:
Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism (extended bridge)
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Intension / Right in Two
Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (w/dual drummer jam)
Vicarious

Tool is currently my favorite band and I've been twitching to see this show since I bought the tickets over a month ago. I've spent a lot of time lately listening and enjoying their music. They're a tight band with an overabundance of art to share with their fans. Their show was exactly what I expected: a tight, well-polished band with a fabulous light show. It was a sincere performance in the truest sense.

The only detractor to this show was the absence of "The Pot". I just cannot understand why that particular song would be missing from any date on this tour. "46&2", "Schism", "Stinkfist", "Jambi", "Lateralus", and "Vicarious" seem to have been played every night on this tour and "The Pot" should be added to that list of must-plays. I also think "Ænema" should be thrown into that category, but on this tour "The Pot" is a song a majority of the audience wants to hear and it doesn't make sense not to play it.

The show's first four songs flowed well and the extended bridge in "Schism" just added to the greatness of the song. When "Schism" was over, I thought to myself "this is just unreal". However, the "Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned, Intension / Right in Two, Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days" section of the show dragged. All of the aforementioned songs are brilliant, but lumped together deflated the tempo and meter of a well-paced show. "The Pot" added in between would have been the perfect song to fire the crowd back up.

Ending the show with "Lateralus" and "Vicarous" did bring the audience back to life. However, I've never seen a show where the band did absolutely no encore; it felt kind of weird and abrupt. Everyone just looked around with a "is that it?" look on their face…then the house lights came on. Suggestion: come back out and play a song like "Ænema" or "Pushit". It shows appreciation and would give the audience a certain sense of satisfaction after spending $65 on a ticket.

All in all, this was one of the best hard/alt. metal/prog rock (however you want to "classify" them) shows I've ever seen. The band was unbelievably tight and on their game. The sound and light show were top-notch. This show reminded me of Sabbath meets Floyd with the musicianship of Rush. Maynard interacted well with the audience and Danny's drumming was mind-blowing.

**the above is a submitted review from a friend of mine.

Last edited by FrankBlack007; 06-30-2007 at 03:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
EleventhEye's Avatar EleventhEye
06-30-2007, 05:34 PM

It's hard to explain, but the show last night was, in my opinion, almost perfect. I can't describe the energy in the crowd, at least where I was. The band really seemed to be feeding off of it and having a good time- Maynard was talkative, Danny was grinning his ass off, and Justin was really groovin with the bass (I couldn't see Adam that well).

First of all they played almost a full two hour set, so that's why there was no encore. I don't mind that they didn't play The Pot- it is a good track but by no means my favorite on the album. With all of the radioplay I'm glad they played some songs with less exposure.

Secondly, the concert was meant to slow down around 10,000 Days. It really is the focal point of the setlist; they start off heavy with Jambi and rock out through Stinkfist, 46&2, Schism, Lost Keys/Rosetta stoned- then they bring the tempo down to set the mood. Intension, the long interlude, Right in Two, Wings, 10,000 Days, they all flow together very, very well and contain a very different energy, maybe a little harder to define and experience but definitely there.

Lateralus and the drum solo (sidenote: how is it a solo with another drummer?) really were the highlight of the show- it brought together the powerful beginning and the introspective middle segment. Vicarious was an appropriate show ender.

I wish they would have played Pushit also (not to mention Eulogy, Third Eye...etc.) but this IS the 10,000 Days tour.

All in all, my favorite concert experience. Amazing show.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

It's hard to explain, but the show last night was, in my opinion, almost perfect. I can't describe the energy in the crowd, at least where I was. The band really seemed to be feeding off of it and having a good time- Maynard was talkative, Danny was grinning his ass off, and Justin was really groovin with the bass (I couldn't see Adam that well).

First of all they played almost a full two hour set, so that's why there was no encore. I don't mind that they didn't play The Pot- it is a good track but by no means my favorite on the album. With all of the radioplay I'm glad they played some songs with less exposure.

Secondly, the concert was meant to slow down around 10,000 Days. It really is the focal point of the setlist; they start off heavy with Jambi and rock out through Stinkfist, 46&2, Schism, Lost Keys/Rosetta stoned- then they bring the tempo down to set the mood. Intension, the long interlude, Right in Two, Wings, 10,000 Days, they all flow together very, very well and contain a very different energy, maybe a little harder to define and experience but definitely there.

Lateralus and the drum solo (sidenote: how is it a solo with another drummer?) really were the highlight of the show- it brought together the powerful beginning and the introspective middle segment. Vicarious was an appropriate show ender.

I wish they would have played Pushit also (not to mention Eulogy, Third Eye...etc.) but this IS the 10,000 Days tour.

All in all, my favorite concert experience. Amazing show.
OFFLINE |  
Ddevil
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM

i got to see the show from a stadium seat this time vs floor last week at fort wayne. one major difference is that the cinci fans didnt mosh. i dont understand how those ppl didnt explode into major pits like we did at fort wayne.

i think they started a little scrappy on jambi, but fixed it after a few. i think the sound was better here than at fortwayne, and i had a better time dancing infront of my seat than watching my back and tiptoeing on the floor. overall completely awsome show.

harping on some older fans, the guys behind me didnt know rosetta stoned or right in two. i heard things like "wow thats definatly new" and " i could go to sleep" . but they were creamin there pants when the lasers came on.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

i got to see the show from a stadium seat this time vs floor last week at fort wayne. one major difference is that the cinci fans didnt mosh. i dont understand how those ppl didnt explode into major pits like we did at fort wayne.

i think they started a little scrappy on jambi, but fixed it after a few. i think the sound was better here than at fortwayne, and i had a better time dancing infront of my seat than watching my back and tiptoeing on the floor. overall completely awsome show.

harping on some older fans, the guys behind me didnt know rosetta stoned or right in two. i heard things like "wow thats definatly new" and " i could go to sleep" . but they were creamin there pants when the lasers came on.
OFFLINE |  
PAR1SkAtEr
06-30-2007, 08:59 PM

I don't have a lot of time to post, but the setlist seem correct, but I heard a brief bit of Ions. Can't remember when though.

Will post more later when I get back.

Last edited by PAR1SkAtEr; 06-30-2007 at 09:01 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

I don't have a lot of time to post, but the setlist seem correct, but I heard a brief bit of Ions. Can't remember when though.

Last edited by PAR1SkAtEr; 06-30-2007 at 09:01 PM..
OFFLINE |  
veikley's Avatar veikley
06-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR1SkAtEr View Post

I think Ions was right before Stinkfist. They had a video going on for it as well on the stage backdrop.

Hate to bitch but...this was the worst sounding Tool show I have been too. It wasn't really bad but that arena had some weird echo to it or something was a little too loud that caused this weird muffled distortion. I guess it just sounded like someone was trying to crank some killer music through cheap speakers.

I agree with the above posts when they mention MJK was next to impossible to hear. Even during Wings, I could barely make out his vocals. First time I have seen Right In Two and it was pretty killer....the ending of that song just kicks ass. The extended drum solo in Lateralus and having 2 drummers for the finale of that song just blew the place up. There was so much percussion hitting me I was in awe. I hope they come back to Columbus for 2 shows next tour because the sound and experience was just 2x better at Nationwide Arena than this show.

Now tomention the ridiculous lighting issue with the main score board monstrosity and the upper right billboards. For some jackass to accidentaly turn that shit on in the middle of a laser light show musical extravaganza was one of the most ridiculous things I have seen at a show. gggrrrrrr usbank arena....

OK I am done bitching....hehehe.... great to see Tool live again either way. I hope the DTE Ampitheatre has better sound.

Last edited by veikley; 06-30-2007 at 09:53 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR1SkAtEr View Post

I think Ions was right before Stinkfist. They had a video going on for it as well on the stage backdrop.

Hate to bitch but...this was the worst sounding Tool show I have been too. It wasn't really bad but that arena had some weird echo to it or something was a little too loud that caused this weird muffled distortion. I guess it just sounded like someone was trying to crank some killer music through cheap speakers.

I agree with the above posts when they mention MJK was next to impossible to hear. Even during Wings, I could barely make out his vocals. First time I have seen Right In Two and it was pretty killer....the ending of that song just kicks ass. The extended drum solo in Lateralus and having 2 drummers for the finale of that song just blew the place up. There was so much percussion hitting me I was in awe. I hope they come back to Columbus for 2 shows next tour because the sound and experience was just 2x better at Nationwide Arena than this show.

Now tomention the ridiculous lighting issue with the main score board monstrosity and the upper right billboards. For some jackass to accidentaly turn that shit on in the middle of a laser light show musical extravaganza was one of the most ridiculous things I have seen at a show. gggrrrrrr usbank arena....

OK I am done bitching....hehehe.... great to see Tool live again either way. I hope the DTE Ampitheatre has better sound.

Last edited by veikley; 06-30-2007 at 09:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
FrankBlack007
06-30-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleventhEye View Post
Hm, I could be wrong but didn't they do an encore in columbus?
Nope.

Not in the sense of "we're going offstage, waiting for people to scream, and then coming back on".

Unless my mind's strictly in "the need to know stance".
Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleventhEye View Post
Hm, I could be wrong but didn't they do an encore in columbus?
Nope.

Not in the sense of "we're going offstage, waiting for people to scream, and then coming back on".

Unless my mind's strictly in "the need to know stance".
OFFLINE |  
FrankBlack007
06-30-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddevil View Post

The sound was better than Ft. Wayne? I'm guessing Maynard didn't even sing, then. ;)

I just don't get moshing at Tool. Sorry. That's like moshing at Floyd or Zeppelin. Yes, they have some heavy songs...but that's not the mood of the current album/tour.

Not like I wasn't headbanging all the way....just not into "you're pushing and you're shoving" anymore.

But I'm old.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddevil View Post

The sound was better than Ft. Wayne? I'm guessing Maynard didn't even sing, then. ;)

I just don't get moshing at Tool. Sorry. That's like moshing at Floyd or Zeppelin. Yes, they have some heavy songs...but that's not the mood of the current album/tour.

Not like I wasn't headbanging all the way....just not into "you're pushing and you're shoving" anymore.

But I'm old.
OFFLINE |  
FrankBlack007
06-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veikley View Post

Oh yeah! WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH THE LIGHTS?! They came on like twice towards the end of the show! Talk about buzzkill. I guess some fucknut saw someone smoking and decided to let everyone see. It had the same effect as an alarm clock in the morning....TURN IT OFF.

Couldn't agree with you more about Columbus, though. Nationwide Arena is worth the drive from Cincy. UsStank Arena is pretty sad.

And yet Tool kicked ass there. Funny how that works.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Oh yeah! WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH THE LIGHTS?! They came on like twice towards the end of the show! Talk about buzzkill. I guess some fucknut saw someone smoking and decided to let everyone see. It had the same effect as an alarm clock in the morning....TURN IT OFF.

Couldn't agree with you more about Columbus, though. Nationwide Arena is worth the drive from Cincy. UsStank Arena is pretty sad.

And yet Tool kicked ass there. Funny how that works.
OFFLINE |  
Youkan
07-01-2007, 05:35 AM

This show was indeed very well performed. Its all been said so all i can say is this.

To you "The Fox",

Our 3rd night, successful on all three. We see you, know you, understand you. We have succeeded in our mission. Many will get to enjoy watching this (these) over the years . It will all be done in due time. It will all be for the fans, by the fans....Nothing is for sale...its, lets just say, a documentary of sorts.....keep em peeled people
Old 07-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was indeed very well performed. Its all been said so all i can say is this.

To you "The Fox",

Our 3rd night, successful on all three. We see you, know you, understand you. We have succeeded in our mission. Many will get to enjoy watching this (these) over the years . It will all be done in due time. It will all be for the fans, by the fans....Nothing is for sale...its, lets just say, a documentary of sorts.....keep em peeled people
OFFLINE |  
jroberto71
07-01-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
setlist tba

I was at the show and disappointed that the Pot was not played, and at some points i was bored (laterallus- mispelled), wanted more of undertow.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
setlist tba

I was at the show and disappointed that the Pot was not played, and at some points i was bored (laterallus- mispelled), wanted more of undertow.
OFFLINE |  
jroberto71
07-01-2007, 06:44 AM

was at the show wanted the pot and more undertow and some points was even bored
Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
jroberto71
07-01-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberto71 View Post
wanted more undertow, i say more but there was none what-so-ever, very disappointed-- favorite tool album
Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberto71 View Post
wanted more undertow, i say more but there was none what-so-ever, very disappointed-- favorite tool album
OFFLINE |  
jroberto71
07-01-2007, 06:58 AM

was wrong there was no undertow, my favorite
Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

was wrong there was no undertow, my favorite
OFFLINE |  
Lateralias's Avatar Lateralias
07-01-2007, 12:35 PM

One more time jroberto?

Fucking ace show... I was hoping for Aenima but Vicarious sufficed. Oh yeah and I loved Big Business.. they have alot of energy and remind me alot of the Melvins.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #20
Gettin' that big taste

Bincount™: 752

One more time jroberto?

Fucking ace show... I was hoping for Aenima but Vicarious sufficed. Oh yeah and I loved Big Business.. they have alot of energy and remind me alot of the Melvins.
07-01-2007, 02:34 PM

Does anyone know where I could possibly get a copy of this show (if it does) or could someone guide me to a site where there a lot of Tool shows to download from (if there are any dedicated sites for this)? Thanks ahead of time.

Well this is my second Tool show ever, and my first show had lofty expectations (Bonnaroo, outdoor environment, awesome setlist, drugs) and the cincy show was just about as special for me (I always wanted to see Tool in an arena setting, and wanted to see the whole stage). I liked Big Business and I knew that the drummer makes that band. No drummer no Big Business period. Now my only problem during the Tool set was the vocals. We could not hear him to well and it sounds like a complaint fellow attendess had also. Anyways, I really felt like we were going to get an extra song at the end. I mean they were chilling for an extended period of time before they walked away from the instruments.....and I realllllllly wanted to see AEnima again (the recording of the roo show brings chills down my back everytime....just beautifully done) but oh well. Great crowd, great music, and very respectible to the band (hell MJK did not even have to say no flashes). Oh well I hope the Y-town crowd has a rare song thrown in there. I actually suspect Jimmy may be thrown in there, way to many connections with other songs and the crowd of Ohio will love it. Peace out.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Does anyone know where I could possibly get a copy of this show (if it does) or could someone guide me to a site where there a lot of Tool shows to download from (if there are any dedicated sites for this)? Thanks ahead of time.

Well this is my second Tool show ever, and my first show had lofty expectations (Bonnaroo, outdoor environment, awesome setlist, drugs) and the cincy show was just about as special for me (I always wanted to see Tool in an arena setting, and wanted to see the whole stage). I liked Big Business and I knew that the drummer makes that band. No drummer no Big Business period. Now my only problem during the Tool set was the vocals. We could not hear him to well and it sounds like a complaint fellow attendess had also. Anyways, I really felt like we were going to get an extra song at the end. I mean they were chilling for an extended period of time before they walked away from the instruments.....and I realllllllly wanted to see AEnima again (the recording of the roo show brings chills down my back everytime....just beautifully done) but oh well. Great crowd, great music, and very respectible to the band (hell MJK did not even have to say no flashes). Oh well I hope the Y-town crowd has a rare song thrown in there. I actually suspect Jimmy may be thrown in there, way to many connections with other songs and the crowd of Ohio will love it. Peace out.
OFFLINE |  
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
07-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Here is a pretty cool pic I took at the concert, I hope to upload some more in the upcoming days.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #22
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Here is a pretty cool pic I took at the concert, I hope to upload some more in the upcoming days.
Skinshifter01's Avatar Skinshifter01
07-02-2007, 12:45 AM

I see little note of the segues between each song. I got to see them in Columbus last year, and they didn't do that at all. I was shocked, amazed, and ultimately very very pleased. They played, if memory serves correctly, Ions, Viginti tres, the first 30 or so seconds of Flood, and then just a bunch of Lustmord-ish tracks. That kept the music very alive for me.

Also, the double lighter thing from Justin was pretty boss.

I like how they aren't doing the "We're going to pretend we're not playing more music to make you beg for an encore" thing anymore. That was amusing, but seeing them take a break there on stage, but not really pretend they're not on break, to me, is hilarious.

The band in general seemed to be in a much better mood than they were last year and I'm glad to say that the energy coming off the stage was higher because of it. Also Maynard wasn't sick.

Though the shear volume of Cincinnati's crowd was disconcerting. i would have liked to be able to understand just a single sentence Maynard said. He went on for a good long time there, right before the end of the show.

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I see little note of the segues between each song. I got to see them in Columbus last year, and they didn't do that at all. I was shocked, amazed, and ultimately very very pleased. They played, if memory serves correctly, Ions, Viginti tres, the first 30 or so seconds of Flood, and then just a bunch of Lustmord-ish tracks. That kept the music very alive for me.

Also, the double lighter thing from Justin was pretty boss.

I like how they aren't doing the "We're going to pretend we're not playing more music to make you beg for an encore" thing anymore. That was amusing, but seeing them take a break there on stage, but not really pretend they're not on break, to me, is hilarious.

The band in general seemed to be in a much better mood than they were last year and I'm glad to say that the energy coming off the stage was higher because of it. Also Maynard wasn't sick.

Though the shear volume of Cincinnati's crowd was disconcerting. i would have liked to be able to understand just a single sentence Maynard said. He went on for a good long time there, right before the end of the show.

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.
OFFLINE |  
blue laCe meaSLe's Avatar blue laCe meaSLe
07-02-2007, 04:50 AM

this was the best show i've seen on this tour (was @ the columbus show last year and caught them @ bonnaroo). altough the vocals were tuned down, their energy was intense, and they have come a long way w/ the laser show.

Having said that, my brother was in the lower seating on the right if you were facing the stage. When Danny threw out the drum covers @ the end of the show, my brother actually caught the 1st one. unfortunately, it seems that for some, tool shows are the only time they leave the house. the cover was promptly ripped from his grip and thrown to the floor which resulted in a frantic scramble for the keepsake. it ended up in the hands of 3 different people, one of which was a dimented hag of a woman, who then began to bite all others involved. the other guy that had his paws on it pleaded w/ my brother to let go and that they would split it (right in two, no doubt), so he let go. about this time the well trained security personnel showed up to quell the little spat and of course went right for the guy w/ the drum cover (a pacifist, no doubt) rather than the possessed cow of a woman. he was drug away clutching onto his well desereved prize. Good sir, if you happen upon this post, please get a hold of me so that the bounty can be divyed up accordingly. my brother was the one w/ the shaved head and bite marks.

Peace.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

this was the best show i've seen on this tour (was @ the columbus show last year and caught them @ bonnaroo). altough the vocals were tuned down, their energy was intense, and they have come a long way w/ the laser show.

Having said that, my brother was in the lower seating on the right if you were facing the stage. When Danny threw out the drum covers @ the end of the show, my brother actually caught the 1st one. unfortunately, it seems that for some, tool shows are the only time they leave the house. the cover was promptly ripped from his grip and thrown to the floor which resulted in a frantic scramble for the keepsake. it ended up in the hands of 3 different people, one of which was a dimented hag of a woman, who then began to bite all others involved. the other guy that had his paws on it pleaded w/ my brother to let go and that they would split it (right in two, no doubt), so he let go. about this time the well trained security personnel showed up to quell the little spat and of course went right for the guy w/ the drum cover (a pacifist, no doubt) rather than the possessed cow of a woman. he was drug away clutching onto his well desereved prize. Good sir, if you happen upon this post, please get a hold of me so that the bounty can be divyed up accordingly. my brother was the one w/ the shaved head and bite marks.

Peace.
07-02-2007, 05:15 AM

3rd show this tour, sixth overall...I was in Sec 106, Row A, Seat 1, which is exactly where I was for the Gwinnett County show. Too far back. Wish I had bought a GA floor ticket for this one...US Bank was ho-hum. Big Business was pretty good...I preferred Melt Banana. Still...Tool totally rocked it. It's always a huge thrill to see them play Lateralus - probably my fave song of all. Wish they'd done "The Pot." I still haven't heard it live. I know I'm a jackass for saying it, but the Wings suite bored me again. I don't think it translates well in a huge arena.

I hope they make another run through the US after Europe...but I'm not holding my breath. Hope this isn't the last time I've seen 'em live. Crossed fingers. Spiral Out...
Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

3rd show this tour, sixth overall...I was in Sec 106, Row A, Seat 1, which is exactly where I was for the Gwinnett County show. Too far back. Wish I had bought a GA floor ticket for this one...US Bank was ho-hum. Big Business was pretty good...I preferred Melt Banana. Still...Tool totally rocked it. It's always a huge thrill to see them play Lateralus - probably my fave song of all. Wish they'd done "The Pot." I still haven't heard it live. I know I'm a jackass for saying it, but the Wings suite bored me again. I don't think it translates well in a huge arena.

I hope they make another run through the US after Europe...but I'm not holding my breath. Hope this isn't the last time I've seen 'em live. Crossed fingers. Spiral Out...
OFFLINE |  
farbeyonddriven04
07-02-2007, 05:58 AM

didn't this used to be the Cincinnati thread? get your own Youngstown...

-E
Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Re: 2007/07/01 - Youngstown, OH

didn't this used to be the Cincinnati thread? get your own Youngstown...

-E
OFFLINE |  
TheBackPorch
07-02-2007, 06:09 AM

Seventh Tool show, first review

This is maybe the best show i have been to, with the possible exception of Birmingham earlier this year (the sound there was the best, plus we got Pushit). Drove five and a half hours by myself after working 8 hours and this show delivered and made all that worth it. I stood in section 202, 3 rows from the back of the arena, so I was about as far back as you could get. The sound back there was amazing, much better than in Evansville. Maynard sounded really strong tonight and the energy from the band was fantastic.

Jambi - I have grown to love this song as an opener.

Stinkfist - A classic. I cant imagine a tool show without this song. The extended part is incredible and the visuals are the most mesmerizing and haunting of the entire show.

46&2 - Awesome Awesome Awesome. Danny really shines

Schism - Live, this song is absolutely jaw dropping. I loved everything about it, especially the extended part all the way to the end.

LK/RS - They played this with great energy, and the visuals are fantastic. "Overwhelmed as one would be...." gave me goosebumps. Would love to see Reflection or Third Eye instead of this, however.

Right in Two- Haven't seen this since the mini tour in Chicago, so I was glad they played it.

Wings/10k Days - The lasers are awesome and I could hear maynard a lot better than I could in Evansville.

Lateralus - The highlight of the night, despite the extended drumming in the middle. Am I the only one who could do without this? I just think Lateralus is a masterpiece that shouldn't be messed with, and the drum solo seems to really destroy the flow of the song. It is my favorite song, however, and the band really nailed it.

Vicarious - Much better live than on the album, although maynard didnt sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies"
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Seventh Tool show, first review

This is maybe the best show i have been to, with the possible exception of Birmingham earlier this year (the sound there was the best, plus we got Pushit). Drove five and a half hours by myself after working 8 hours and this show delivered and made all that worth it. I stood in section 202, 3 rows from the back of the arena, so I was about as far back as you could get. The sound back there was amazing, much better than in Evansville. Maynard sounded really strong tonight and the energy from the band was fantastic.

Jambi - I have grown to love this song as an opener.

Stinkfist - A classic. I cant imagine a tool show without this song. The extended part is incredible and the visuals are the most mesmerizing and haunting of the entire show.

46&2 - Awesome Awesome Awesome. Danny really shines

Schism - Live, this song is absolutely jaw dropping. I loved everything about it, especially the extended part all the way to the end.

LK/RS - They played this with great energy, and the visuals are fantastic. "Overwhelmed as one would be...." gave me goosebumps. Would love to see Reflection or Third Eye instead of this, however.

Right in Two- Haven't seen this since the mini tour in Chicago, so I was glad they played it.

Wings/10k Days - The lasers are awesome and I could hear maynard a lot better than I could in Evansville.

Lateralus - The highlight of the night, despite the extended drumming in the middle. Am I the only one who could do without this? I just think Lateralus is a masterpiece that shouldn't be messed with, and the drum solo seems to really destroy the flow of the song. It is my favorite song, however, and the band really nailed it.

Vicarious - Much better live than on the album, although maynard didnt sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies"
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
07-02-2007, 06:36 AM

another great show, sound was much better as far as hearing maynards vocals, compared to the last show, we where dead center but in the 1st riser in the back, thinking sound might not be as good, but sound was alot better there, set list was about the same, but as posted many times before, the list is not a problem, for those of us, who see them perform, the set list is the least of our concerns, as long as the guys stay healthy, and continue, no complaints here, on to Detroit now, who knows, maybe the motor city madman will show up, and do stranglehold, that would be neato seeing adam blow teddy nugent away :) cya in Detroit.....peace grown people
Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

another great show, sound was much better as far as hearing maynards vocals, compared to the last show, we where dead center but in the 1st riser in the back, thinking sound might not be as good, but sound was alot better there, set list was about the same, but as posted many times before, the list is not a problem, for those of us, who see them perform, the set list is the least of our concerns, as long as the guys stay healthy, and continue, no complaints here, on to Detroit now, who knows, maybe the motor city madman will show up, and do stranglehold, that would be neato seeing adam blow teddy nugent away :) cya in Detroit.....peace grown people
07-02-2007, 08:13 AM

Someone mentioned they played Flood for about 30 seconds...If I remember correctly, It was for a much longer time...They even sang a good portion of the song (This ground is not the rock I thought it to be). Although I was rather fucked up, I remember them playing something that sounded like Swamp Song that flowed into Flood. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The show was also the best I've ever seen. Tool has become more than a band live. When you see other prolific bands live (Pearl Jam, Incubus, etc), they sound like a band. Tool's sound has become more than a drum bass guitar and vocals and has become a soundscape where every note meshes perfectly together. They have achieved something no band ever has and probably something we will never see again.

Other things I wanted to mention, during Wings for Marie, Maynard didn't sing the first part of the last segment (Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance...). He let the crowd sing this part and it was roaring, almost as if the crowd was singing to his mother. Also, Wings has evolved from the Fall tour where they played it for the first time. I recall it being very dark and sad the first time. At this show, the song was much more upbeat and seems like Maynard has gone from mourning his mother to celebrating what she was to him.

The drum solo in Lateralus was disgusting, and when Big Business was playing my friends and I commented that the band sucked but their drummer was very talented. Well...you get where I am going with that...I think he blew everyone away. The masterpiece which is Lateralus is continually evolving in great ways each tour and this was by far the best.

I sure hope someone got this on tape...
Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Someone mentioned they played Flood for about 30 seconds...If I remember correctly, It was for a much longer time...They even sang a good portion of the song (This ground is not the rock I thought it to be). Although I was rather fucked up, I remember them playing something that sounded like Swamp Song that flowed into Flood. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The show was also the best I've ever seen. Tool has become more than a band live. When you see other prolific bands live (Pearl Jam, Incubus, etc), they sound like a band. Tool's sound has become more than a drum bass guitar and vocals and has become a soundscape where every note meshes perfectly together. They have achieved something no band ever has and probably something we will never see again.

Other things I wanted to mention, during Wings for Marie, Maynard didn't sing the first part of the last segment (Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance...). He let the crowd sing this part and it was roaring, almost as if the crowd was singing to his mother. Also, Wings has evolved from the Fall tour where they played it for the first time. I recall it being very dark and sad the first time. At this show, the song was much more upbeat and seems like Maynard has gone from mourning his mother to celebrating what she was to him.

The drum solo in Lateralus was disgusting, and when Big Business was playing my friends and I commented that the band sucked but their drummer was very talented. Well...you get where I am going with that...I think he blew everyone away. The masterpiece which is Lateralus is continually evolving in great ways each tour and this was by far the best.

I sure hope someone got this on tape...
OFFLINE |  
MrVinnie77
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM

This is the actual setlist from the Youngstown show. I can understand the weirdness given the change in dates for both Cincinnati and YTown:

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=2032422&postcount=57
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

This is the actual setlist from the Youngstown show. I can understand the weirdness given the change in dates for both Cincinnati and YTown:

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=2032422&postcount=57
paraflux
07-02-2007, 09:04 AM

Tonight I will try to figure all this out. Sorry for the confusion. Things have been changed so many times...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #31
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Tonight I will try to figure all this out. Sorry for the confusion. Things have been changed so many times...
OFFLINE |  
teeravuss
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM

To some this might have been a perfect show, but I myself have mixed feelings about it.

First, the good...

We had GA floor tickets and were really close to the stage while not being uncomfortable at all. While a couple half-hearted moshes broke out, the crowd was relatively calm (which isn't always a good thing... but I'll get to that in a minute). I've seen Tool 5 times in the past decade, and this is by far the best stage SHOW I've seen from these guys. The laser lights were incredible, solidifying the notion that Tool is the Pink Floyd of this era (which, isn't always a good thing). The trio of UFO-esque light globes that loomed over the stage moved around in a very cool, menacing manner (reminded me of the tripods in War of the Worlds). The moment in 10,000 Days when the backdrop dropped to reveal artwork from the album was quite effective.

Musically, the band was solid, only faltering a couple times. Justin's tone was incredible. His presence (in regard to performance and tone) helped to beef up and intensify the jammier part of songs like Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. Adam's talk-box solo on Jambi was spot on. Danny was, of course, a freaking machine. The dueling drum solo between him and Big Business drummer was seamless (much respect to the BB drummer!). Maynard seemed to be in a good mood; during the drum solo, Maynard shot out a stream of toilet paper into the air with the aid of an industrial fan. Early in the show, Maynard said to the crowd: "OK, one more time and don't disappoint me. What's round on the outside and high in the middle? What's round on the outside and high in the middle?" To this a bit of the crowd (myself included) responded: "Ohio!" He then thanked us for getting the joke (back in 97 at the Hara Arena in Dayton, he tried that joke and no one got it). Vocally, Maynard's peak performance had to be Rosetta Stoned. A very intense and dynamic delivery that didn't dissapoint.

The incorporation of synths and keys to their music was nice. In between a couple songs, both Adam and Maynard would drone on some nasty synth sounds. The song selection was nice... I was glad to see that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days worked well live. As they are extended jams with a mellow vibe throughout, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the songs live. The intensitiy of the band along with the light show (and the fast moving clouds on the projection screens) heloed out a lot. Which is to say, I enjoyed it :)

Alright, now the not-so good....

The setlist lacked some important songs. One of the strongest songs on the new album was MIA--The Pot (the biggest complaint everyone is having it seems). They played nothing from Undertow--my favorite album--or Opiate. Granted, I'm sure they're tired of these songs by now (after playing them for OVER a decade). However, Tool should consider the fans' desires as much as their own (especially considering that the tickets cost 65 bucks a pop). Why they didn't play Opiate or Undetow songs is, I suspect, because Maynard's voice is weakening. Which brings me to the vocals.

What this man does is far above anyone else in the rock world. His vocals are far beyond demanding. But Maynard's no spring chicken. He's--what?--forty-ish? So I understand that, naturally, his ability is going to subside with age. I remember back in 96 on the aenima tour, MJK would be painted up, contorting and gyrating in unhuman ways, and belting out godly notes/screams. I remember looking at him and thinking: "this guy's an alien." Of course, he's not. He's subject to the changes life brings upon all us humans. This is evident in his performance on friday. Gone are the unhuman gyrations. Gone are the balls-out, opened-throat screams. He hit all the notes, but without the intensity. The vocals were low in the mix, but that could be blamed on the sound guy. I'm not so much criticizing MJK's current abilities as much as I'm lamenting the days of yesteryear. Back in the day, Tool's show didn't come from laser lights, it came from maynard's alien stage presence. Seeing him onstage on friday, I saw a normal person like you or I.

Tool has become more "jammier" and long-winded. More than once I found myself bored, wondering "when is this drum solo going to be over? When are they going to kick back into a SONG?" Yes, I know Danny Carey is a sick drummer. But to interupt an important song like Lateralus is an insult to the song. What was once a spiritual glimpse into another world is cheapened into a van halen moment by dueling drum solos. The droning synth tones were cool and complimented the light effects, but slowed the pace of the show. I guess what I'm saying here is... Tool didn't use to be Pink Floyd. Tool use to be Tool.

I enjoyed the show, I even had a touch of those spiritual moments that I had years ago at their shows. But as I walked out, I couldn't help but feel something missing.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: 2007/06/29 - Cincinnati, OH

To some this might have been a perfect show, but I myself have mixed feelings about it.

First, the good...

We had GA floor tickets and were really close to the stage while not being uncomfortable at all. While a couple half-hearted moshes broke out, the crowd was relatively calm (which isn't always a good thing... but I'll get to that in a minute). I've seen Tool 5 times in the past decade, and this is by far the best stage SHOW I've seen from these guys. The laser lights were incredible, solidifying the notion that Tool is the Pink Floyd of this era (which, isn't always a good thing). The trio of UFO-esque light globes that loomed over the stage moved around in a very cool, menacing manner (reminded me of the tripods in War of the Worlds). The moment in 10,000 Days when the backdrop dropped to reveal artwork from the album was quite effective.

Musically, the band was solid, only faltering a couple times. Justin's tone was incredible. His presence (in regard to performance and tone) helped to beef up and intensify the jammier part of songs like Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. Adam's talk-box solo on Jambi was spot on. Danny was, of course, a freaking machine. The dueling drum solo between him and Big Business drummer was seamless (much respect to the BB drummer!). Maynard seemed to be in a good mood; during the drum solo, Maynard shot out a stream of toilet paper into the air with the aid of an industrial fan. Early in the show, Maynard said to the crowd: "OK, one more time and don't disappoint me. What's round on the outside and high in the middle? What's round on the outside and high in the middle?" To this a bit of the crowd (myself included) responded: "Ohio!" He then thanked us for getting the joke (back in 97 at the Hara Arena in Dayton, he tried that joke and no one got it). Vocally, Maynard's peak performance had to be Rosetta Stoned. A very intense and dynamic delivery that didn't dissapoint.

The incorporation of synths and keys to their music was nice. In between a couple songs, both Adam and Maynard would drone on some nasty synth sounds. The song selection was nice... I was glad to see that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days worked well live. As they are extended jams with a mellow vibe throughout, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the songs live. The intensitiy of the band along with the light show (and the fast moving clouds on the projection screens) heloed out a lot. Which is to say, I enjoyed it :)

Alright, now the not-so good....

The setlist lacked some important songs. One of the strongest songs on the new album was MIA--The Pot (the biggest complaint everyone is having it seems). They played nothing from Undertow--my favorite album--or Opiate. Granted, I'm sure they're tired of these songs by now (after playing them for OVER a decade). However, Tool should consider the fans' desires as much as their own (especially considering that the tickets cost 65 bucks a pop). Why they didn't play Opiate or Undetow songs is, I suspect, because Maynard's voice is weakening. Which brings me to the vocals.

What this man does is far above anyone else in the rock world. His vocals are far beyond demanding. But Maynard's no spring chicken. He's--what?--forty-ish? So I understand that, naturally, his ability is going to subside with age. I remember back in 96 on the aenima tour, MJK would be painted up, contorting and gyrating in unhuman ways, and belting out godly notes/screams. I remember looking at him and thinking: "this guy's an alien." Of course, he's not. He's subject to the changes life brings upon all us humans. This is evident in his performance on friday. Gone are the unhuman gyrations. Gone are the balls-out, opened-throat screams. He hit all the notes, but without the intensity. The vocals were low in the mix, but that could be blamed on the sound guy. I'm not so much criticizing MJK's current abilities as much as I'm lamenting the days of yesteryear. Back in the day, Tool's show didn't come from laser lights, it came from maynard's alien stage presence. Seeing him onstage on friday, I saw a normal person like you or I.

Tool has become more "jammier" and long-winded. More than once I found myself bored, wondering "when is this drum solo going to be over? When are they going to kick back into a SONG?" Yes, I know Danny Carey is a sick drummer. But to interupt an important song like Lateralus is an insult to the song. What was once a spiritual glimpse into another world is cheapened into a van halen moment by dueling drum solos. The droning synth tones were cool and complimented the light effects, but slowed the pace of the show. I guess what I'm saying here is... Tool didn't use to be Pink Floyd. Tool use to be Tool.

I enjoyed the show, I even had a touch of those spiritual moments that I had years ago at their shows. But as I walked out, I couldn't help but feel something missing.
OFFLINE |  
HookerWithADick's Avatar HookerWithADick
07-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Great show. The visuals were outstanding. However the sound quality is always poor in arenas. The only thing I could make out when Maynard spoke to the crowd was something about the crowd in Chicago was louder.

I like that they did not rush through any of the tunes like they did in Columbus last year. I think they extended just about every song they played at one place or another. I would have like to herd something off of Undertow or Opiate. Rather disappointed that they held out did not play Flood for us.

I don't know if it was just a better angle that I got this time but the visuals seemed a lot better then the Columbus show.

I did like the stage from 2002 better then this one though.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Great show. The visuals were outstanding. However the sound quality is always poor in arenas. The only thing I could make out when Maynard spoke to the crowd was something about the crowd in Chicago was louder.

I like that they did not rush through any of the tunes like they did in Columbus last year. I think they extended just about every song they played at one place or another. I would have like to herd something off of Undertow or Opiate. Rather disappointed that they held out did not play Flood for us.

I don't know if it was just a better angle that I got this time but the visuals seemed a lot better then the Columbus show.

I did like the stage from 2002 better then this one though.
tomb_45662
07-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on the sound and the house lights situation. The vocals were too far back in the mix, had a very hard time understanding what Maynard was saying in between songs. I had to look up some other fans reviews of this show to find out what he had said. I barely unsterstood the "O-HI-O" thing(but I did get it since I'm from Columbus) and I turned and asked this kid next to me"did you understand anything he just said?" He could'nt hear the vocals either.

Lights and effects were the great, I was up in Section 237, row E seat 1 so I had a great view of everything because there was nothing in front of me and I was next to the aisle.

I saw Tool at the Columbus show last fall and I liked that show a lot better because I was in the lower bowl/middle section 108 row X seat 13 so I could see everything and it sounded a lot better.

Since you're from Grove City did you get stuck in that mess on I 71 also? I was glad I left Columbus early to get to Cincy cuz this dude decided to run from the po po which led to a car chase and they shot his tires out. This and the ensuing rubbernecking turned I-71 into a parking lot.

Trying to find out how traffic was moving, I tuned in to some of the local stations , one was WEBN. When they played Tool they had to censor out the part "pissing over my black halo", aparently you can't say "pissing" on the radio down there in Cincy,lol.

Also thanks to everyone who mentioned the bars/clubs across the river. I ended up taking the foot bridge to Newport and eneded up at Newport on the levee(which ironiclly was exactly like Easton up here in Columbus), and had a few beers at Bar Louie, and smoked a cig inside a building for the first time in a long time,lol.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

I agree with you on the sound and the house lights situation. The vocals were too far back in the mix, had a very hard time understanding what Maynard was saying in between songs. I had to look up some other fans reviews of this show to find out what he had said. I barely unsterstood the "O-HI-O" thing(but I did get it since I'm from Columbus) and I turned and asked this kid next to me"did you understand anything he just said?" He could'nt hear the vocals either.

Lights and effects were the great, I was up in Section 237, row E seat 1 so I had a great view of everything because there was nothing in front of me and I was next to the aisle.

I saw Tool at the Columbus show last fall and I liked that show a lot better because I was in the lower bowl/middle section 108 row X seat 13 so I could see everything and it sounded a lot better.

Since you're from Grove City did you get stuck in that mess on I 71 also? I was glad I left Columbus early to get to Cincy cuz this dude decided to run from the po po which led to a car chase and they shot his tires out. This and the ensuing rubbernecking turned I-71 into a parking lot.

Trying to find out how traffic was moving, I tuned in to some of the local stations , one was WEBN. When they played Tool they had to censor out the part "pissing over my black halo", aparently you can't say "pissing" on the radio down there in Cincy,lol.

Also thanks to everyone who mentioned the bars/clubs across the river. I ended up taking the foot bridge to Newport and eneded up at Newport on the levee(which ironiclly was exactly like Easton up here in Columbus), and had a few beers at Bar Louie, and smoked a cig inside a building for the first time in a long time,lol.
OFFLINE |  
czwalga00gt
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM

I"ve seen tool three times... by far the worst. Once one the lateralus tour and the other in columbus in october.

To the people saying this show was perfect... have you ever been to another show before? Maynard would have been better off not even being there. I'm not saying it was hit fault or the bands by any means. It was their technicians. I'm pretty sure I couldnt hear one song a single lyric from one song and I moved to differnet places around the arena.

They skipped the video for rosetta stoned, but the drummer dual was pretty sweet. I'm glad I got to see that up close.

I have to say that if this was your first tool show, go see another. On a scale from 1-10; nationwide in columbus was probably a 9, while US bank in cinci was maybe a 6. (Only that high because of the dummer dual)
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

I"ve seen tool three times... by far the worst. Once one the lateralus tour and the other in columbus in october.

To the people saying this show was perfect... have you ever been to another show before? Maynard would have been better off not even being there. I'm not saying it was hit fault or the bands by any means. It was their technicians. I'm pretty sure I couldnt hear one song a single lyric from one song and I moved to differnet places around the arena.

They skipped the video for rosetta stoned, but the drummer dual was pretty sweet. I'm glad I got to see that up close.

I have to say that if this was your first tool show, go see another. On a scale from 1-10; nationwide in columbus was probably a 9, while US bank in cinci was maybe a 6. (Only that high because of the dummer dual)
OFFLINE |  
Clay's Avatar Clay
07-03-2007, 09:09 AM

By far the greatest drum solo(s) I have ever seen in a live setting or otherwise.

Better than the Ft.Wayne show.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

By far the greatest drum solo(s) I have ever seen in a live setting or otherwise.

Better than the Ft.Wayne show.
OFFLINE |  
zilla.
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Amazing show. I was in section 206.

Here are some pictures that I took with my phone (they're not the best quality but they work):

Pre-show.. http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9071938sa8.jpg

This is near the end of 10,000 Days. If you look closely, you can see an outline of Justin under the lasers. http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9072302sx3.jpg

Finally, this is the set-break.. just a bunch of lighters: http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9072215ge1.jpg
Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show. I was in section 206.

Here are some pictures that I took with my phone (they're not the best quality but they work):

Pre-show.. http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9071938sa8.jpg

This is near the end of 10,000 Days. If you look closely, you can see an outline of Justin under the lasers. http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9072302sx3.jpg

Finally, this is the set-break.. just a bunch of lighters: http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9072215ge1.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Angel on the Sideline
07-05-2007, 05:34 AM

Okay, it's July 5th and I know I'm way late here, so I'm not even sure anyone will bother to read this and/or respond. But, here goes:

I saw them for the first time ever in Columbus last fall. I've been a big fan since Undertow first hit, but never had the chance to see them before this tour. Unlike a couple other posters, I thought this show was better than the Columbus gig. The dueling drums in Lateralus was unbelievable. I commented during the Big Business set that the band had a great drummer. He proved his worth as he dueled alongside Danny. Even Danny couldn't help but smile as he watched the dude play, and Adam - always stoic and emotionless on stage - smiled during the duel.

Jambi was a great opener. I think Stinkfist is the perfect opener, but Jambi was a solid way to set things off.

Stinkfist was the OTRM mix, which was the first clue that Flood wasn't coming. I'm fine with that, though, as Right in Two is my favorite song on 10,000 Days and I badly wanted to hear it live. During Stinkfist, I'm pretty sure Maynard sang "I'll keep digging, until I feel this fuck me" instead of "I'll keep digging, until I feel something." DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR THIS, or am I imagining it?

During one of the pre-song mixes, I heard the boys sound a few notes from Flood. The hair on the back of my neck stood a little... but it didn't happen.

I liked Vicarious as a closer. I don't mind if they don't close with Aenima, though it is the perfect closer for a lot of reasons.

As pretty much everyone else here has said: the vocal mix was very bad. There were several times during the night where I couldn't really hear Maynard at all. That was a downer.

Maynard nailed the scream on Rosetta Stoned. He didn't even attempt the end of Vicarious, instead entreating the crowd to do it for him. That's a very difficult part of the song. He did it in Columbus and his voice cracked, but that was their first or second show back after he missed several shows due to an illness.

All in all, great show. Can't wait to see them again. I'm hoping beyond hope that they hit the U.S. again after Europe. They've not been to Louisville or Indy on this tour, so I hope they hit both or at least one of those places.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Okay, it's July 5th and I know I'm way late here, so I'm not even sure anyone will bother to read this and/or respond. But, here goes:

I saw them for the first time ever in Columbus last fall. I've been a big fan since Undertow first hit, but never had the chance to see them before this tour. Unlike a couple other posters, I thought this show was better than the Columbus gig. The dueling drums in Lateralus was unbelievable. I commented during the Big Business set that the band had a great drummer. He proved his worth as he dueled alongside Danny. Even Danny couldn't help but smile as he watched the dude play, and Adam - always stoic and emotionless on stage - smiled during the duel.

Jambi was a great opener. I think Stinkfist is the perfect opener, but Jambi was a solid way to set things off.

Stinkfist was the OTRM mix, which was the first clue that Flood wasn't coming. I'm fine with that, though, as Right in Two is my favorite song on 10,000 Days and I badly wanted to hear it live. During Stinkfist, I'm pretty sure Maynard sang "I'll keep digging, until I feel this fuck me" instead of "I'll keep digging, until I feel something." DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR THIS, or am I imagining it?

During one of the pre-song mixes, I heard the boys sound a few notes from Flood. The hair on the back of my neck stood a little... but it didn't happen.

I liked Vicarious as a closer. I don't mind if they don't close with Aenima, though it is the perfect closer for a lot of reasons.

As pretty much everyone else here has said: the vocal mix was very bad. There were several times during the night where I couldn't really hear Maynard at all. That was a downer.

Maynard nailed the scream on Rosetta Stoned. He didn't even attempt the end of Vicarious, instead entreating the crowd to do it for him. That's a very difficult part of the song. He did it in Columbus and his voice cracked, but that was their first or second show back after he missed several shows due to an illness.

All in all, great show. Can't wait to see them again. I'm hoping beyond hope that they hit the U.S. again after Europe. They've not been to Louisville or Indy on this tour, so I hope they hit both or at least one of those places.
OFFLINE |  
the usual's Avatar the usual
07-07-2007, 06:28 AM

Great show!
I Loved The performance by the Biz and Tool was amazing as usual.
The other concert "goers" described the show quiet well.
A couple Visuals that really stood out to me were the Images of Saturn during the Rosetta Stoned Performace.That imagery was beyond fantastic and it went with the break-down part so well it almost made me lose track of all other outside stimuli altogether.
.............................and also the Human baloon images during Right in two,as well as the sexual contortion,was almost as amzing as their performance of the song its self.
oh yeah.....I agree with Maynards' sarcastic ramblings about the iphone.I can't wait for next years model that makes coffee,ha ha ha.
This was my fifth Tool show.I surely hope there are more to come in the nearer future.
Oh yeah, I guess I'll mention this here,I had a dream last night that Tool we're in the works of creating an Hour long video/movie.
I hope that happens as well.
Thanks for the inspriation Tool.
Great show!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Great show!
I Loved The performance by the Biz and Tool was amazing as usual.
The other concert "goers" described the show quiet well.
A couple Visuals that really stood out to me were the Images of Saturn during the Rosetta Stoned Performace.That imagery was beyond fantastic and it went with the break-down part so well it almost made me lose track of all other outside stimuli altogether.
.............................and also the Human baloon images during Right in two,as well as the sexual contortion,was almost as amzing as their performance of the song its self.
oh yeah.....I agree with Maynards' sarcastic ramblings about the iphone.I can't wait for next years model that makes coffee,ha ha ha.
This was my fifth Tool show.I surely hope there are more to come in the nearer future.
Oh yeah, I guess I'll mention this here,I had a dream last night that Tool we're in the works of creating an Hour long video/movie.
I hope that happens as well.
Thanks for the inspriation Tool.
Great show!
OFFLINE |  
Outie's Avatar Outie
07-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Well hello, I know this is a little late for a review. But I really havent had the chance til now. We arrived at the venue around 6:30 or so, time enough to check out our seats, sect 132 row O, great seats, you could see everything from there. After a few beers and wishing that I had known there was gonna be a place to take a smoke outside, we ventured out to bum a few. A few guys walked up to us, complemented my girl on her skirt(Alex Greys "Wonder") and my TA patched up Tool work shirt, they gave us a few smokes. A lil while later at the same spot we talked to this girl who was very beautiful, even with her hair very short with TooL shaved into one side hehe, she also gave us a smoke. After we wondered back in and watched Big Business, there were surprisingly good. The drummer Coady, was just incredible. After a short break the lights went down and out came the boys. This was my 6th tool show, and my girls 3rd, we had just seen them a few weeks ago at Bonnaroo and thought nothing could top that show, well I was wrong. They were so on it that night, the sound was perfect, the deep dark images were beautiful as ever and good gawd the lasers.....I wont post the setlist, thats been done enough, but the highlight for me was the whole section of the Intension intro, Right In two, and Wings for Marie/10,000 days, just fucking beautiful. This was by far the best show Ive seen so far(this tour anyway). The only show that was better to me was the first time I saw them in indy just a few days before 9/11 happened. Coady and Danny face off during Lateralus was just fucking badass, Coady only had a 3 or 4 piece drum set and he kept up with Danny, they complemented each other perfectly, I was so blown away(Coady also plays drums left handed which was neat as well). So anyway thats my review, Im hoping to maybe see them again this tour, but I doubt it, damn I hope theres a Pusifer tour, everyone take care, and much love....Outie
Old 07-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Well hello, I know this is a little late for a review. But I really havent had the chance til now. We arrived at the venue around 6:30 or so, time enough to check out our seats, sect 132 row O, great seats, you could see everything from there. After a few beers and wishing that I had known there was gonna be a place to take a smoke outside, we ventured out to bum a few. A few guys walked up to us, complemented my girl on her skirt(Alex Greys "Wonder") and my TA patched up Tool work shirt, they gave us a few smokes. A lil while later at the same spot we talked to this girl who was very beautiful, even with her hair very short with TooL shaved into one side hehe, she also gave us a smoke. After we wondered back in and watched Big Business, there were surprisingly good. The drummer Coady, was just incredible. After a short break the lights went down and out came the boys. This was my 6th tool show, and my girls 3rd, we had just seen them a few weeks ago at Bonnaroo and thought nothing could top that show, well I was wrong. They were so on it that night, the sound was perfect, the deep dark images were beautiful as ever and good gawd the lasers.....I wont post the setlist, thats been done enough, but the highlight for me was the whole section of the Intension intro, Right In two, and Wings for Marie/10,000 days, just fucking beautiful. This was by far the best show Ive seen so far(this tour anyway). The only show that was better to me was the first time I saw them in indy just a few days before 9/11 happened. Coady and Danny face off during Lateralus was just fucking badass, Coady only had a 3 or 4 piece drum set and he kept up with Danny, they complemented each other perfectly, I was so blown away(Coady also plays drums left handed which was neat as well). So anyway thats my review, Im hoping to maybe see them again this tour, but I doubt it, damn I hope theres a Pusifer tour, everyone take care, and much love....Outie

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply