opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #81
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/07 - Uniondale, NY - Nassau Coliseum

Quote:
I disagree wholeheartedly. The video screens on the Lateralus Tour were not a huge stage, they were two screens that on either side of the band and they didn't take my focus off the music. There was in no way more shit going on on the stage than this show. And Lasers? I don't see any artistic expression in Lasers, nor a screen-stage that was so dizzying I wound up watching the hockey scoreboard screen half the show...I see all that as Tool giving up on their plight to expand people's mind purely through art and music, thus making the show a spectacle.
you must have only seen the first leg of the lateralus tour. click on this link to see what we are talking about

http://toolchurch.com/sanctuary/node/384

i loved this show, was in c1 row 4. the lasers were making all sorts of geometric shapes that correspond very much to the music. even the colors that would shine in conjunction with different riffs to personify and illustrate the perspective being used at that point - their use of multiple perspectives in their songs simply baffles me. these were especially apparent on stinkfist and 46&2, and probably equally elsewhere but over my head at this point.

its the music that drives the story. each riff and each segment tells it. maynard just vocalizes portions of it to add emphasis.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #82
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan13 View Post
OK. Had a few days recovery. My brain has dripped back into the pan..

Was it just me or am I the only one that thought the sound stunk? I mean, the rest of the show aside, which was professional grade Tool all the way, the one thing that bugged me the whole time was the overall muddiness of the mix, no clarity of the drums, clear yet overdriven vocals, and a persistant crackle in the stage left (audiience right) stack. I was just 4 rows off from the floor in the stage left corner, so placement wise I should've heard a great mix. I had a hard time ignoring the problem, even with the sincere drug regimen I was perscribed for the show.

That wingeing and complaining being said (glad I got that off my chest!!), it was great to finally hear The Pot live. I felt a little cheated having seen them twice in NYC last May and they didn't play it at either show. Also, nice to hear Wings/10,000 Days live. The theatricality/drama of the songs lend themselves nicely to the live environs.

i only thought the sound in the beginning of Rosetta stoned sucked, but everything else was great dude. i dont know what the fuck you and that other poster were smoking. If you didnt like the new CD, why come to the 10,000 days tour?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

Camden was better. Camden was louder. Loved maynard's heh , when they all booed him during "Thank you, good night. " White Castle rules. LIRR sucked.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #84
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle0 View Post
i only thought the sound in the beginning of Rosetta stoned sucked, but everything else was great dude. i dont know what the fuck you and that other poster were smoking. If you didnt like the new CD, why come to the 10,000 days tour?
Relax.
Who ever said anything about not liking the CD?!!! I love the damn thing! I would've loved to hear the whole shebang live. But I've seen my fair share of Tool shows, and i feel confident in saying that the sound sucked. that's all. I have a feeling that the P.A. gear they've been using since May might be a little shot and ratty sounding, worn out and tired, and in desperate need of a retread.
Blown stack = shitty sound.

...and i was smoking some damn fine shit thank you very much, so it should've at least helped my appreciation of the crapped up sound.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan13 View Post
Relax.
Who ever said anything about not liking the CD?!!! I love the damn thing! I would've loved to hear the whole shebang live. But I've seen my fair share of Tool shows, and i feel confident in saying that the sound sucked. that's all. I have a feeling that the P.A. gear they've been using since May might be a little shot and ratty sounding, worn out and tired, and in desperate need of a retread.
Blown stack = shitty sound.

...and i was smoking some damn fine shit thank you very much, so it should've at least helped my appreciation of the crapped up sound.
nah i meant the other guy, not gonna go look back on who it was. His comment was "I wish they played older stuff!" thus why i made a comment like that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #86
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

tool already clearly stated they had grown out of past messages related to past songs , as far as im concerned i think a majority off of Undertow will be lost along with select songs off of aenima & lateralus.

this was the 10,000 days tour , what did you expect?
besides they werent headlining this tour so of course it could only be a 2 hour show , venues do have regulations (time wise) you know.
and for the hell of it i would LOVE to hear you explain why you think they are "losing it" , what "it " are you refering to?

the show kicked insane ass , the crowd was amazing and both bands were excellent.
see you guys in the spring.
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:02 AM   #87
Level 2 - Poster

i loved this show, was in c1 row 4.

Me too. Yeah, the show was really cool. You could tell the guys were happy to be done with this leg and they really had fun with the music. It was the best overall 'performance' out of the 6 shows I saw this time around. All the shows were great for their own particular reasons/ flavor.

"If you're going to have sex tonight, use condoms....and use the trash cans on your way out...."
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #88
Level 1 - Lurker

Fourth Tool show to date. I have to say I was really disappointed with this show, but it's totally not the band's fault. I think I hit a dead area in terms of sound because I was off to the side of the stage and I knew right away that something was wrong at the beginning of Stinkfist. Vocals were way down low and the guitar was muddy and I couldn't really make out what Adam was doing. I had a few friends out in the audience in different areas of the coliseum that said they got excellent sound. So, that crashed my mood immediately. However, I still enjoyed what the band had to offer this time around.

The show was a bit too light-hearted for my taste. Although a spectacle and a lot of fun to watch, the emotional impact of the performance was low for me. Wings/10KD is one of my favorite Tool songs of all time, but I felt like it should have been left off the setlist. It pains me to say that because that was one track I was looking forward to hearing performed live for months. Big let down, but again, also could have been my seats/sound.

Highlights of the show for me were Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Lateralus. The laser show was sorta weak, but I enjoyed the visuals overall.

Shit happens, I guess. It was worth the money and I'm glad I went. Better luck in the Spring...and fuck you Nassau Coliseum. And while I'm at it, fuck the NY Islanders as well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #89
Level 1 - Lurker

[Instead of being an obscure band with a message, Tool has now succumbed to pandering to the fans. However, they have NOT lost their integrity, and I don't think it's a bad thing that they're basically just out there now to make people happy and have a good time, rather than tell them what to do. Adam fucked up a lot, but I think some of it was because his guitar tech kept running in after every song to fix something.

The lasers were cool, but I didn't think they were necessary. They were over-used and distracted me from the stage.

I totally agree. I looks like money and fame can change anybody. This is the same show i saw in DC. Exact same setlist. Even the "Maynardisms" were the same!! I mean, change it up a bit. MJK in DC.."Pittsburgh was louder....last chance". MJK in the Coliseum.."Jersey was louder....last chance". Anybody else remember when this band didn't give a shit what we thought at the show, it was always about the music. Now we need lasers and quotes to make us cheer. Don't get me wrong. the show (same one i saw in DC) was sick. I will probably see them again. I just wish they would change it up a little bit.

I want to apologize to everyone in C1 row 12 who had to watch me make out with the fat chick standing next to me. My buddy paid me $40 bucks to do it and who can turn down a bet like that. I was the guy in the Jack Daniels hat. Highlight of the show: Lateralus.

Stinkfist is a perfect song to open the show with.

Maynard: PLAY SOME OTHER SONGS IN THE SPRING!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #90
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
nah i meant the other guy, not gonna go look back on who it was. His comment was "I wish they played older stuff!" thus why i made a comment like that.
ahhh...

don't know who that was either, but I would have to say that one song from either of the first 2 albums would've been nice too. I was holding out hope for a little bonus as it was the last show on this American leg. (But DAMN the new stuff rocks!)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #91
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show, I was front row side stage. Lateralus and Rosetta stoned were great. Light show was very good, definatly one of the best I've seen. Adam made some pheonominal sounds from his guitar on many occasions. I liked when the 10,000 days eyes came up. Justin rocked hard and grooved. I couldn't see Danny too much as he was right behind Justin. Maynard was funny as hell. It seemed much shorter than Mansfield, which tells me I really enjoyed this show. I hope they come in the spring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

I have 2 opinions on this show. First of all Tool played amazing. They were on key with all the notes and Maynard sounded great, as usual. Now leads me to the setlist. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sorry but how could you not play Sober. That is the song that put Tool on the map. Opiate and Undertow are amazing cds and they played nothing, let me repeat that, NOTHING from them. I totally disagree with the way they are going with their music. They were a kick ass rock band and now all there songs are just music and very few songs with Maynard singing thoughout the song. It seems as the band is pissed off with Maynard because of A Perfect Circle and say hey lets show that we are the best part of Tool and lets keep playing without him singing. Oh and who do they think they are to first of all always charge $60 or more for their shows and charge $38 and $43 for a t-shirt. Are they kidding me. Don't get me wrong, they are an amazing band and all the new stuff sounds good but its just not the same anymore. Tool has changed and not for the better in my eyes. I know everyone is gonna disagree but I know there are some of you out there who will agree with me. Aenima is better than Lateralus and Lateralus is better than 10,000 Days. Tool is on decline and I wouldn't be surprised if they were done making albums. If they are not, go back to your 4 maybe 5 minute songs and just rock out. Sober, Prison Sex, Aenima, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, anything from Opiate... etc. They are all songs that just rock out and are not long songs. Sweet and get to the point. Again, the show was great sounding wise and the lasers were a great addition to the show, but setlist wise, I totally disagree with the way Tool are going. They are not Pink Floyd and should not sound like them. I think they are a better rock band and should play rock plain and simple.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #93
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella0714 View Post
I have 2 opinions on this show. First of all Tool played amazing. They were on key with all the notes and Maynard sounded great, as usual. Now leads me to the setlist. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sorry but how could you not play Sober. That is the song that put Tool on the map. Opiate and Undertow are amazing cds and they played nothing, let me repeat that, NOTHING from them. I totally disagree with the way they are going with their music. They were a kick ass rock band and now all there songs are just music and very few songs with Maynard singing thoughout the song. It seems as the band is pissed off with Maynard because of A Perfect Circle and say hey lets show that we are the best part of Tool and lets keep playing without him singing. Oh and who do they think they are to first of all always charge $60 or more for their shows and charge $38 and $43 for a t-shirt. Are they kidding me. Don't get me wrong, they are an amazing band and all the new stuff sounds good but its just not the same anymore. Tool has changed and not for the better in my eyes. I know everyone is gonna disagree but I know there are some of you out there who will agree with me. Aenima is better than Lateralus and Lateralus is better than 10,000 Days. Tool is on decline and I wouldn't be surprised if they were done making albums. If they are not, go back to your 4 maybe 5 minute songs and just rock out. Sober, Prison Sex, Aenima, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, anything from Opiate... etc. They are all songs that just rock out and are not long songs. Sweet and get to the point. Again, the show was great sounding wise and the lasers were a great addition to the show, but setlist wise, I totally disagree with the way Tool are going. They are not Pink Floyd and should not sound like them. I think they are a better rock band and should play rock plain and simple.
would u prefer if maynard sang acapella for 3/4 of a song?
maynard himself said that hes only 1/4 of the band, he doesnt need to be singing all the time, he also has stated that the music caries the emotion and the words just help define it a bit. so with these two facts, we can safely assume that he believes that he doesnt need to be singing a lot because the music itself was so amazing, he didnt need to be singing througout every song.

but i feel u on the opiate and undertow thing, im glad they didnt play sober thoug, dont get me wrong, its an amazing song, but i wasnt in the mood to hear it that particuler day. i would have LOVED parabola thoug. or cold and ugly, or prision sex.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #94
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I have 2 opinions on this show. First of all Tool played amazing. They were on key with all the notes and Maynard sounded great, as usual. Now leads me to the setlist. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sorry but how could you not play Sober. That is the song that put Tool on the map. Opiate and Undertow are amazing cds and they played nothing, let me repeat that, NOTHING from them. I totally disagree with the way they are going with their music.
This was the 10,000 days Tour. They had to play mostly 10,000 days songs.

Quote:
They were a kick ass rock band and now all there songs are just music and very few songs with Maynard singing thoughout the song. It seems as the band is pissed off with Maynard because of A Perfect Circle and say hey lets show that we are the best part of Tool and lets keep playing without him singing.
No.. they're not pissed off at him... they are experimenting with new sounds and such. Maynard sings a lot in 10,000 days and they are GREAT lyrics. Didn't you see Tool chilling out after Wings for Marie? They still seem tight. If a band isn't tight with each other, they wouldn't make a great band.

Quote:
Oh and who do they think they are to first of all always charge $60 or more for their shows and charge $38 and $43 for a t-shirt. Are they kidding me. Don't get me wrong, they are an amazing band and all the new stuff sounds good but its just not the same anymore. Tool has changed and not for the better in my eyes.
It's like that at every concert. If the band has merchandise, they sell it way overpriced at the concert place.

Quote:
I know everyone is gonna disagree but I know there are some of you out there who will agree with me. Aenima is better than Lateralus and Lateralus is better than 10,000 Days. Tool is on decline and I wouldn't be surprised if they were done making albums.
Listen, they aren't in a decline. They are actually getting better. Aenima was a heavy album. Maybe you're more into heavy music more than Toolish music. I dont know who you are but maybe that's the case. In my opinion, they are evolving into a great band still.

Quote:
If they are not, go back to your 4 maybe 5 minute songs and just rock out. Sober, Prison Sex, Aenima, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, anything from Opiate... etc. They are all songs that just rock out and are not long songs. Sweet and get to the point. Again, the show was great sounding wise and the lasers were a great addition to the show, but setlist wise, I totally disagree with the way Tool are going. They are not Pink Floyd and should not sound like them. I think they are a better rock band and should play rock plain and simple.

It's your taste so i can't say anything bad. If you liked their shorter songs, thats you. But they are not getting worse. I'm guessing you're not a musician so you wouldn't understand this, but can you think of a lot of bands who change time signatures, remember all the notes, riffs, etc. for an 7+ minute song? Not a lot of bands can do it. Try playing Wings for Marie Pt. 1 and 2 without anything in front of you. They are not trying to be Pink Floyd, and they definately don't sound like them. They sound more like Zepplin like their influence is.

They are not a rock band. They are not a heavy metal band. They are Tool. They have their own genre.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #95
Banned.

Bincount™: 77

OFFLINE |  
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 AM   #96
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I thought the show was amazing. Looking at left side of stage in section 220.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #97
Level 4 - Thinker

I really enjoyed the show overall. A shame they didn't play any old stuff though. Also, I agree about the sound. It was absolutely terrible.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #98
Level 3 - Talker

about the sound, i thought it was amazing, i was also standing on the floor, maybe 30 feet from the stage. and i had a perpetual orgasm
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #99

Bincount™: 15

about that knob fiddeling, if u hear the wah sound in the begining of the patient, thats justin also. its the same thing, he plays the entire line with hammer ons, and turns the knob.

if u notice in schism, he does something similer, but he turns the volume knob up instead, as well as pushes down on his whammy.

im a bass player so iv studied him a lot lol[/QUOTE]

I knew the patient (obvious) and i knew schism, but EVEN life, I swore it was a guitar soloing. On the patient he still has that bass string quality and on schism you can kinda tell. But on the pot I swore it was a guitar with a wah pedal. Does he use a whammy? I can honestly usually hear it when there's a bass playing, but I swore they just had a recording of a guitar solo playing with the performance of the pot.
I guess it makes sense if he was originally a guitarist.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #100
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima7988 View Post
about that knob fiddeling, if u hear the wah sound in the begining of the patient, thats justin also. its the same thing, he plays the entire line with hammer ons, and turns the knob.

if u notice in schism, he does something similer, but he turns the volume knob up instead, as well as pushes down on his whammy.

im a bass player so iv studied him a lot lol

I knew the patient (obvious) and i knew schism, but EVEN life, I swore it was a guitar soloing. On the patient he still has that bass string quality and on schism you can kinda tell. But on the pot I swore it was a guitar with a wah pedal. Does he use a whammy? I can honestly usually hear it when there's a bass playing, but I swore they just had a recording of a guitar solo playing with the performance of the pot.
I guess it makes sense if he was originally a guitarist.[/QUOTE]

check out this thread on another tool page..

http://www.tooltabs.net/forum_two/viewtopic.php?t=3925

Last edited by beyondhairy; 10-13-2006 at 05:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was the culmination of 5 that I had seen on this tour [Camden, Mansfield, Wilkes-Barre, E. Rutherford, Wantaugh(sp?), and I am going to have to say that I am very dissappointed. Now I know a bunch of people are going to get on my case for saying that, but it's the truth. This tour was lousy, how can they play the same songs every night? doesn't that get boring for them? Maynard even said the same jokes every night, that's really lame, I don't care who says it. And lets not have any misconceptions, don't call me the "hooker with a penis" or anything like that. It's just that I remember seeing them four times on the lateralus tour and every concert/set list was different, they played the salival version of pushit for christ's sake. Then, maynard's movements on stage for this tour seemed as though he were lampooning himself. I don't know if anyone remembers, but on the Ænima tour, tool and maynard had a totally different mentality, look at the pictures from the 10,000 days tour and past tours, and look at maynard's eyes, you'll see the difference. It's like they took themselves seriously then. Now, I'm sure everyone and their mother's will have something to say about my comment, but they won't deny it's true. This tour reminded me of a rolling stones reunion tour in that it seemed as though tool had the attitude: "Allright, let's go out there and do this one more time, run through the motions, and then I, Maynard, can go back to being a wine snob and forgetting about everything I used to believe." Yeah, that's what it comes off as. I think someone should tie maynard to a chair and make him listen to Opiate and Undertow again, make him remember what he forgot. P.S. I love tool and am a huge fan, obviously if I went to five shows in a row, spent all my money on tickets .
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista976 View Post
This show was the culmination of 5 that I had seen on this tour [Camden, Mansfield, Wilkes-Barre, E. Rutherford, Wantaugh(sp?), and I am going to have to say that I am very dissappointed. Now I know a bunch of people are going to get on my case for saying that, but it's the truth. This tour was lousy, how can they play the same songs every night? doesn't that get boring for them? Maynard even said the same jokes every night, that's really lame, I don't care who says it. And lets not have any misconceptions, don't call me the "hooker with a penis" or anything like that. It's just that I remember seeing them four times on the lateralus tour and every concert/set list was different, they played the salival version of pushit for christ's sake. Then, maynard's movements on stage for this tour seemed as though he were lampooning himself. I don't know if anyone remembers, but on the Ænima tour, tool and maynard had a totally different mentality, look at the pictures from the 10,000 days tour and past tours, and look at maynard's eyes, you'll see the difference. It's like they took themselves seriously then. Now, I'm sure everyone and their mother's will have something to say about my comment, but they won't deny it's true. This tour reminded me of a rolling stones reunion tour in that it seemed as though tool had the attitude: "Allright, let's go out there and do this one more time, run through the motions, and then I, Maynard, can go back to being a wine snob and forgetting about everything I used to believe." Yeah, that's what it comes off as. I think someone should tie maynard to a chair and make him listen to Opiate and Undertow again, make him remember what he forgot. P.S. I love tool and am a huge fan, obviously if I went to five shows in a row, spent all my money on tickets .
times have change, why look back, this was the 10,000 days tour for god's sake. It was more of a timed stage show (lights,lazars, images so on). I loved this tour and Ive been to over 15 tool shows since 96/97? (anima, lat, and 10,000 days) I also went to 5 shows this tour so far including 1 durning the mini tour in NY and was blown away. I wish they didnt do any other songs other then 10,000 days and play its as it is on the cd which should of included right in two, but thats just me.

get over it, how the hell are you determaning what the band feels or their state of mind by looking at maynard's eyes, come on now get over yourself
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #103
Level 4 - Thinker

the show was incredible, i lucked in to a 4th row ticket 2 hours before the show, totally went up there on a whim, and am so glad i did it. the sound was absolutely amazing. i had been to the kansas city show, and that was when maynard was still recovering from his illness, so i got much better lyrical sound on the pot and vicarious. they also had much better timing on rosetta stoned. it was an awesome experience for me, i had never been to new york, and i was a little concerned that i was rollin up solo, but i fell into a good group in the parking lot, i walked in with a bottle of vodka and a 6 pack of 7-up. thanks to Mike and Rick and your Crew, glad i could hang at a great pre-show cookout. i was amazed at how many people were grillin and hangin at 6 oclock, i thought it was a chiefs game when i got dropped off. all in all great job long island, that was a fuckin great TOOL experience. Lateralus and wings were huge highlights for me, lateralus just blows songs out of the water and getting to see Wings live is a treat. Awesome show, great fuckin experience. Busy week for me back in KC, thats why i couldnt post until now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #104
lacks satan

Bincount™: 5222

i was the only one with ballons. i feel ashamed. 1 person from tdn came by. you guys are lame!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #105
Level 3 - Talker

WOW... this was my first Tool show, i have been waiting a long time. i missed the lateralus tour, so i was pumped when i got tickets to this one. i have to say this is the best live show i have EVER seen. Tool was just amazing. it's almost inhumane, the way they play together. I myself am a drummer and to remember all these odd time signatures and song arrangments alone would boggle my mind, but these guys pull it off like its easy. Adam Jones did mess up a couple times (i see others mentioned this too) i was so pysced about being there that i didnt even care. these guys could make 100 mistakes and still impress me. its amazing the way that they synced up the schism video with the live music (you know the fireball at the end that pulses with the drums)
Yes, the show did seem sorta short, but it wasnt really. thats what you get when you go to see a band whos song lengths average 10 minutes, they only have enough time and stamina to play so many songs, and they did 12! thats still pretty good and worth the money. my seats were in section 114 and the view was great. i dont see the point in paying the loads of cash for floor seats because these were just as good to me.
wings for marie-10,000 days was pretty long and not really a low point in the show but it could have been better.

Did i mention Danny Carey rules?
Isis was great, too. i didnt notice until later, but is Justin playing with them?
I wish that they played some older Opiate or Undertow songs. but i guess the older songs dont really fit in with the newer stuff, tool kinda took a different turn after Ænima, so i guess they have there reasons, along with just plain being tired of playing sober, prison sex, etc... those tracks are now 13 years old+ (!!)

Overall this show was great, and i think i'm gonna get tickets for the spring show, whenever they do go on sale. i dont even see the shows listed but maynard said they were coming back so i guess its a go.
Maybe next time i can drag my wife out to see them. she hates metal music but she wont listen when i tell her that tool is not really metal, but mostly hard rock, and actually very talented and very listenable, unlike some HEAVY death metally-bands that are out there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #106
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeyer View Post
Isis was great, too. i didnt notice until later, but is Justin playing with them?
I wish that they played some older Opiate or Undertow songs. but i guess the older songs dont really fit in with the newer stuff, tool kinda took a different turn after Ænima, so i guess they have there reasons, along with just plain being tired of playing sober, prison sex, etc... those tracks are now 13 years old+ (!!)
justin only played on the last song. u can see a pic of it on toolband

hey, its exactly 7 days since the show, my pants are still wet from the perpetual orgasm, how about urs?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #107
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDEXorphan View Post
i was the only one with ballons. i feel ashamed. 1 person from tdn came by. you guys are lame!

really? i didnt see any lol they werent high enough!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #108
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananjuice View Post
times have change, why look back, this was the 10,000 days tour for god's sake. It was more of a timed stage show (lights,lazars, images so on). I loved this tour and Ive been to over 15 tool shows since 96/97? (anima, lat, and 10,000 days) I also went to 5 shows this tour so far including 1 durning the mini tour in NY and was blown away. I wish they didnt do any other songs other then 10,000 days and play its as it is on the cd which should of included right in two, but thats just me.

get over it, how the hell are you determaning what the band feels or their state of mind by looking at maynard's eyes, come on now get over yourself
What do you mean get over myself? Since when did being a fan of a band require you to accept anything you are given with praise and thanks? The last time I checked, unquestioning fans accepting anything they are given without critique leads to the downfall and disintegration of a band. Look at Led Zeppelin, they're last two albums were awful, yet Presence (1976) went platinum from pre-orders alone. On a related note, at least Led Zeppelin played songs from their earlier albums all the way until Bonham's death in 1980. I'm just saying that the more tool fans unquestionably accept everything they are given, the more likely that tool will follow the same tragic chronology as Led Zeppelin or even Metallica (let it be clear however, that I do not like Metallica). Not to start any fueds or anything, but I think the best thing a tool fan could do is keep the band honest and true, otherwise we may end up with an overweight, gimmicky, and cheesy reflection of what tool once was; (this is an allusion to elvis's transformation throughout the years). Anyway, I invite any replies as I'm sure they'll be in the character of telling me that I'm not the real fan, etc. :)

I'll end this with an apt paraphrase of a quote: "Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning, a non-functioning mind is clinicly dead. Believe in Nothing." From this quote I would ascertain that even tool would not recommend following them blindly or believing in the infalibility of themselves. Cheers.

Last edited by zapatista976; 10-15-2006 at 01:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #109
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
What do you mean get over myself? Since when did being a fan of a band require you to accept anything you are given with praise and thanks? The last time I checked, unquestioning fans accepting anything they are given without critique leads to the downfall and disintegration of a band. Look at Led Zeppelin, they're last two albums were awful, yet Presence (1976) went platinum from pre-orders alone. On a related note, at least Led Zeppelin played songs from their earlier albums all the way until Bonham's death in 1980. I'm just saying that the more tool fans unquestionably accept everything they are given, the more likely that tool will follow the same tragic chronology as Led Zeppelin or even Metallica (let it be clear however, that I do not like Metallica). Not to start any fueds or anything, but I think the best thing a tool fan could do is keep the band honest and true, otherwise we may end up with an overweight, gimmicky, and cheesy reflection of what tool once was; (this is an allusion to elvis's transformation throughout the years). Anyway, I invite any replies as I'm sure they'll be in the character of telling me that I'm not the real fan, etc. :)

I'll end this with an apt paraphrase of a quote: "Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning, a non-functioning mind is clinicly dead. Believe in Nothing." From this quote I would ascertain that even tool would not recommend following them blindly or believing in the infalibility of themselves. Cheers.

Well, it wouldn't surpise me if they followed the same chronology as Zepplin since they are Tool's main influence.

But anyways, Maynard is smarter than that. He probably knows about Zepplins' mistakes so he wouldn't make them again.

Tool isn't playing old songs because it was the 10,000 DAYS TOUR. If you see a bar and it says The Homosexual Bar. Are you going to think there's homosexuals in there? Um yeah you will. [Nothing against gay people, was just using a reference.] So you see it's the 10,000 Days tour, so they'll play mostly 10,000 Days' songs. With the few bonus tracks like Lateralus and Schism. Be happy that they play that, they could just play some 10,000 days songs and leave.

I don't believe they're getting worse. 10,000 days was their Blue's album like they stated. It was a very emotional album. I doubt they will stay like that. Either they go back to their old roots or even experiment more and make something different.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 AM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Well, it wouldn't surpise me if they followed the same chronology as Zepplin since they are Tool's main influence.

But anyways, Maynard is smarter than that. He probably knows about Zepplins' mistakes so he wouldn't make them again.

Tool isn't playing old songs because it was the 10,000 DAYS TOUR. If you see a bar and it says The Homosexual Bar. Are you going to think there's homosexuals in there? Um yeah you will. [Nothing against gay people, was just using a reference.] So you see it's the 10,000 Days tour, so they'll play mostly 10,000 Days' songs. With the few bonus tracks like Lateralus and Schism. Be happy that they play that, they could just play some 10,000 days songs and leave.

I don't believe they're getting worse. 10,000 days was their Blue's album like they stated. It was a very emotional album. I doubt they will stay like that. Either they go back to their old roots or even experiment more and make something different.

both post were fair enough, I agree that this tour was the "10,000 days" and was a much different cd from past Tool cd's and deserverd a different type of tour.

I was happy not hearing sober, prision sex and other songs from past cd's, but thats because I heard them live many times before. So I understand that if you havent heard them live until now u might feel shorted.

lets see what happens in the spring, maybe they will change it up alittle, as for following the Led zepplins path, lets hope not for all of us :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 AM   #111
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

I'm not saying that I didn't expect 10,000 Days songs because I understand it's the 10,000 days tour. However, what I am complaining about is the fact that they played the same exact 10,000 Days songs five shows in a row! I would have been satisfied if out of one of the five shows I did see, they played "Right in Two" perhaps? How come that song just got cut and every other song off the album got played? And I'm not complaining about not hearing Sober or Prison Sex, I heard those songs before. It's just that they only played their popular songs off of Ænima and Lateralus. 46 & 2, Stinkfist, and Ænema; Schism and Lateralus, those were the most popular and frequently played (including on the radio) songs of those two albums. It seems as though by playing those non-deep album cuts, they were catering to the "casual" fan. Couldn't they have played The Patient, H., Pushit, just as easily? Or off of Undertow, couldn't they have played Bottom, Flood, Crawl Away, 4 Degrees, Undertow? It's been a dream of mine to see those songs live, and I'm beginning to think that I never will, which scares me a lot. And another thing, I've read that Tool doesn't perform H. and they've never performed Jimmy because those songs have some kind of significance to Maynard, well, if that's the case, why are they performing Wings and 10,000 days every show? Given the personal circumstances behind those songs, you'd think it would follow the same precedent as H. and Jimmy. In the end, it all comes down to the fact that I spent nearly $350 to see my favorite band five times, and every time was an exact replica of the time previous to that. Forgive me then, if I feel a little cheated.

Last edited by zapatista976; 10-16-2006 at 07:54 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDEXorphan View Post
I looked! My brother and I even started shouting out "Balloons?!" at random intervals. Next time, maybe phone numbers would help. Or bigger balloons.

Oh, and I enjoyed the show.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #113
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I'm not saying that I didn't expect 10,000 Days songs because I understand it's the 10,000 days tour. However, what I am complaining about is the fact that they played the same exact 10,000 Days songs five shows in a row! I would have been satisfied if out of one of the five shows I did see, they played "Right in Two" perhaps? How come that song just got cut and every other song off the album got played? And I'm not complaining about not hearing Sober or Prison Sex, I heard those songs before. It's just that they only played their popular songs off of Ænima and Lateralus. 46 & 2, Stinkfist, and Ænema; Schism and Lateralus, those were the most popular and frequently played (including on the radio) songs of those two albums. It seems as though by playing those non-deep album cuts, they were catering to the "casual" fan. Couldn't they have played The Patient, H., Pushit, just as easily? Or off of Undertow, couldn't they have played Bottom, Flood, Crawl Away, 4 Degrees, Undertow? It's been a dream of mine to see those songs live, and I'm beginning to think that I never will, which scares me a lot. And another thing, I've read that Tool doesn't perform H. and they've never performed Jimmy because those songs have some kind of significance to Maynard, well, if that's the case, why are they performing Wings and 10,000 days every show? Given the personal circumstances behind those songs, you'd think it would follow the same precedent as H. and Jimmy. In the end, it all comes down to the fact that I spent nearly $350 to see my favorite band five times, and every time was an exact replica of the time previous to that. Forgive me then, if I feel a little cheated.
Well now i know what you're complaining about. Yeah if i saw them do Bottom, that would've been great lol

Yeah i do agree they shouldve played another song for their last US stop. I was disappointed but maybe its cause we didnt stick around long enough or chant a song name haha.

It takes maynard a lot of guts to do wings for marie, i respect his bravery for doing it. i dont see him ever doing H. or jimmy ever because theyre very emotional. he probably did wings for marie for himself and something he can do for his mother.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #114
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAssDirtyDollar View Post
Camden was better. Camden was louder. Loved maynard's heh , when they all booed him during "Thank you, good night. " White Castle rules. LIRR sucked.
i was also at camden and i fucking enjoyed the hell out of it.........the sound,the vibe, it all kicked ass.......................later................... .
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #115
Level 3 - Talker

Section C1 Row 3

Highlights as mentioned above....

Did anyone else catch MJK give the universal sign for Jerk-off, then point to his watch while looking at a roadie or tech offstage as if to ask if there was time for one more song? Happened just at the very end as they were talking their last laps before leaving the stage, and nothing was unplugged. That would have been ok with me.

This was show number 18 overall, and it was top 5 overall Tool shows, especially as far as sound quality. I've seen them wilder years ago, and with a bigger stage production, but they are still unreal live. The new songs sound awesome and fit right in with the classics they played. Though they do seem to be ignoring some important material (4 Degrees, Pushit), I'll forgive them since they managed to work 2 15 minute epics into the setlist. Cannot wait for the next leg.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #116
Level 7 - Loquacious

Check out this photo I stole off the backstage door at this show... :)

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/458/toolwm7.jpg

I had floor seats and there was this door off near the floor bathrooms that led to the backstage/catering area. My husband was waiting for me to come out of the bathroom and when I came out he pulled me over to the door to show me something. There was a note to the security gaurds telling them which passes were allowed backstage with pictures of each pass. Then this sign was up next to it. I think they may have taken this picture that morning. I had to steal it off the door because I thought it was nice to have a photo that no one else has. :) Not to mention, it is hard to find a photo of Maynard smiling like this. I get a kick out of it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
i dont see him ever doing H. or jimmy ever because theyre very emotional.
H. has been performed NUMEROUS times live.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #118
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
Well now i know what you're complaining about. Yeah if i saw them do Bottom, that would've been great lol

Yeah i do agree they shouldve played another song for their last US stop. I was disappointed but maybe its cause we didnt stick around long enough or chant a song name haha.

It takes maynard a lot of guts to do wings for marie, i respect his bravery for doing it. i dont see him ever doing H. or jimmy ever because theyre very emotional. he probably did wings for marie for himself and something he can do for his mother.
i sound like a non fan right now i guess but i didnt know Jimmy and H. were different than any other Tool songs. what is the special meaning behind them? i am not so much into lyrics as i am into the song structure (i'm a drummer, all i listen to is the rythem most of the time). anyway half of the time i cant make out what maynard is singing.
Again this was my first tool show and i would have enjoyed some older songs, and i was hoping that the crowd would stick around longer and try to pry one more song out of the band, but the house lights came on and my buddy wanted to get out of there, so....

and oh yeah, i can see certian similarities and influences with led zeppelin, but i wouldn't really say they are mainly influenced by Zep.
Carey is way more technically advanced than Bonham was (i absolutely LOVE bonham, dont get me wrong) and the whole bands' time signatures and song lengths dont really reflect anything by Zep, except maybe no Quarter which i guess is why Tool liked it and covered it (great cover BTW)
I hope to dear god that maynard never gets as flaky as Robert Plant!!! what the hell was that guys deal?
arent tool more influenced by King crimson and pink floyd? In an interview with Carey (Modern Drummer) he even says that coming to a tool show is the next best thing to seeing pink floyd.
thats what i love about these guys... everybody you talk to is under the impression that Tool is some kind of death-metal crap act, but really they are just a further advanced version of a heavy pyshcidelic 70's rock band mixed with a complex prog-rockish jazz quartet. they have more musical skill between the 4 of them than the whole metal genre has combined.
anyway we should be talking about the show, right? I know that once tickets go on sale for the spring tour i'm In.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #119
Level 1 - Lurker

this my third tool show ever, and it was phenomenal. can't wait for the spring
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: