Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
Time To Choose's Avatar Time To Choose
07-06-2007, 01:26 PM

I actually would have to say that i was dissapointed with the show. While it was still really good, it didnt meet my expectations for my first Tool show. I was in section 7 row Y, and the view was obstructed by tall people or pillars in the way. I eventually had to move back into a section where i could actually see. The sound quality was also very poor at least from where i was sitting. It sounded muffled, and you couldnt hear Maynard. Bad view/bad sound brought down the experience, but I will say nothing bad about the bands performance. They seemed very energetic and into it, and of course played some kick ass music. I still had a fun time and it was a good concert, but it had its minor quirks.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 150
Re: 2007/07/04 - Milwaukee, WI - Summerfest

I actually would have to say that i was dissapointed with the show. While it was still really good, it didnt meet my expectations for my first Tool show. I was in section 7 row Y, and the view was obstructed by tall people or pillars in the way. I eventually had to move back into a section where i could actually see. The sound quality was also very poor at least from where i was sitting. It sounded muffled, and you couldnt hear Maynard. Bad view/bad sound brought down the experience, but I will say nothing bad about the bands performance. They seemed very energetic and into it, and of course played some kick ass music. I still had a fun time and it was a good concert, but it had its minor quirks.
OFFLINE |  
damian666
07-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Here's the deal, I've been a huge tool fan for over 14 years...always thought that Maynard had the best voice in rock and that tool was an awesome TIGHT live band! I have seen them many times including Perfect Circle! It has been ten years since the last time I saw tool. Summerfest was the worst show! I have come to realize that Maynard is just slowly removing himself from this band. His stupid little riser/platform (oh my God, in Dallas he stepped off it!) next to the drummer with no lighting on him other than ambient, all night. I thought the riser deal was just a cliche for Perfect Circle. Maynard what happen to the performer I saw 10 years ago??? Are you to old to rock??? Call me old school, but what happened to the singer fronting the band. On top of his shity performance his vocals last night were completely inaudible (was this a mix issue or intentional, has he lost his voice as well??) We had excellent seats (sect. 2 row R) center of the stage 18 rows back and now I know what an instrumental tool show sounds like! I have always felt that you could never anticipate what a tool show would be like night to night that they always would surprise you...instrumental was definitely a surprise but not one welcomed! I must say the band was as tight as ever.

All the blogs talk about this prima donna and his moods night by night...what the hell do I care about his mood just go out there and rock! At Lollapalooza in 97 when tool stool the show they were absolutely awesome and full of energy. I walked away completely awe struck...WOW! what a performance! At this pace maybe the next tour Maynard can sit in his bus, dressing room or hotel and sing from there. Then the next tour after that they can just play his vocals pre-recorded and he doesn't even have to show up. What has happened to this band??? These are the guys that all these musicians call "a musicians band", "a thinking man's band" all these accolades are undeserved if you ask me. I feel ripped off...after I built this band up all these years to my friends. This show was a self-indulgent piece of crap they play all this new material and very little of what got them to where they are. I truly believe that this band hit it's plateau about ten years ago with AEnima!
Hey Maynard...pass the mic to Sanjaya at least he moves more than 3 feet in any direction during a performance.

That's my rant!...I'll still buy anything tool puts out, but enjoy it more with a beer and joint in my own home!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Here's the deal, I've been a huge tool fan for over 14 years...always thought that Maynard had the best voice in rock and that tool was an awesome TIGHT live band! I have seen them many times including Perfect Circle! It has been ten years since the last time I saw tool. Summerfest was the worst show! I have come to realize that Maynard is just slowly removing himself from this band. His stupid little riser/platform (oh my God, in Dallas he stepped off it!) next to the drummer with no lighting on him other than ambient, all night. I thought the riser deal was just a cliche for Perfect Circle. Maynard what happen to the performer I saw 10 years ago??? Are you to old to rock??? Call me old school, but what happened to the singer fronting the band. On top of his shity performance his vocals last night were completely inaudible (was this a mix issue or intentional, has he lost his voice as well??) We had excellent seats (sect. 2 row R) center of the stage 18 rows back and now I know what an instrumental tool show sounds like! I have always felt that you could never anticipate what a tool show would be like night to night that they always would surprise you...instrumental was definitely a surprise but not one welcomed! I must say the band was as tight as ever.

All the blogs talk about this prima donna and his moods night by night...what the hell do I care about his mood just go out there and rock! At Lollapalooza in 97 when tool stool the show they were absolutely awesome and full of energy. I walked away completely awe struck...WOW! what a performance! At this pace maybe the next tour Maynard can sit in his bus, dressing room or hotel and sing from there. Then the next tour after that they can just play his vocals pre-recorded and he doesn't even have to show up. What has happened to this band??? These are the guys that all these musicians call "a musicians band", "a thinking man's band" all these accolades are undeserved if you ask me. I feel ripped off...after I built this band up all these years to my friends. This show was a self-indulgent piece of crap they play all this new material and very little of what got them to where they are. I truly believe that this band hit it's plateau about ten years ago with AEnima!
Hey Maynard...pass the mic to Sanjaya at least he moves more than 3 feet in any direction during a performance.

That's my rant!...I'll still buy anything tool puts out, but enjoy it more with a beer and joint in my own home!
OFFLINE |  
Drawn Under's Avatar Drawn Under
07-08-2007, 02:03 PM

It was a great show no doubt, unfortunately i was surrounded by jackass half fans. The moron in front of me was on crutches and insisted upon thrusting them into the air during 10,000 days (completely unnecessary) and he also found that talking loudly to his friend about random occurances of the day before was a little more important than danney carrey and corey's dual drumming during Lateralus. I had a stronge urge to slap him across the head and tell him to pay attention because that is not somethin you get to see everyday. I saw them last week at the Sears Center and had better fans around me that were into the music but overall I thought TOOL was awesome as usual and a great performance, but unfortunately there were a lot of people that went who were not really that into TOOL, or just disrespectful assholes, like a certain individual behind me yelling "Play the old shit!" during Wings For Marie.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

It was a great show no doubt, unfortunately i was surrounded by jackass half fans. The moron in front of me was on crutches and insisted upon thrusting them into the air during 10,000 days (completely unnecessary) and he also found that talking loudly to his friend about random occurances of the day before was a little more important than danney carrey and corey's dual drumming during Lateralus. I had a stronge urge to slap him across the head and tell him to pay attention because that is not somethin you get to see everyday. I saw them last week at the Sears Center and had better fans around me that were into the music but overall I thought TOOL was awesome as usual and a great performance, but unfortunately there were a lot of people that went who were not really that into TOOL, or just disrespectful assholes, like a certain individual behind me yelling "Play the old shit!" during Wings For Marie.
07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

eh...that sucks about the loud talking people...i usually am really good with focusing in on the task at hand...and i really dont let anyone or anything get in my way...even when there is too many people in the row your in and you know a good portion of these people dont belong in the section.....all i can say is if they wanna throw 70 dollars away to talk to each other...let them waste there time...what i like at concerts is maybe its my ears being half shot...but i never hear anyone talk around me..its always to loud..i see lips moving but no sound...strange....anyways i'm not sure what else to add to this thread that hasnt been said....good times...some day we wont have these times..
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

eh...that sucks about the loud talking people...i usually am really good with focusing in on the task at hand...and i really dont let anyone or anything get in my way...even when there is too many people in the row your in and you know a good portion of these people dont belong in the section.....all i can say is if they wanna throw 70 dollars away to talk to each other...let them waste there time...what i like at concerts is maybe its my ears being half shot...but i never hear anyone talk around me..its always to loud..i see lips moving but no sound...strange....anyways i'm not sure what else to add to this thread that hasnt been said....good times...some day we wont have these times..
OFFLINE |  
alucidreality
07-10-2007, 05:04 PM

the place was buzzing with bad energy but that's probably because I took shrooms and had to leave after five minutes. the marcus was a hive, pretty creepy.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

the place was buzzing with bad energy but that's probably because I took shrooms and had to leave after five minutes. the marcus was a hive, pretty creepy.
OFFLINE |  
mind_your_change
07-11-2007, 11:23 AM

This show was the bomb! Tool, the 4th of July, at Summerfest - the world's largest music festival --- WOW!

1. I've been to over 700+ shows and this was the most rabid, appreciative, faithful, dedicated and LOUDEST crowd I have ever heard!

2. Bringing The Pot back into the setlist for this Milwaukee show made up for the cancelled Madison show kast year!

3. If I had one request, it woulkd be to bring Maynard to the front of the stage more and off of the riser next to the drums. But oh well, Maynard will be Maynard!

GREAT show, great buzz, met some great people sitting near me who bought beers during the show (Brandon in Sec 4, Row L, Seat 33 is a GOD!) and "sipped some tea" with. Quite the experience!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was the bomb! Tool, the 4th of July, at Summerfest - the world's largest music festival --- WOW!

1. I've been to over 700+ shows and this was the most rabid, appreciative, faithful, dedicated and LOUDEST crowd I have ever heard!

2. Bringing The Pot back into the setlist for this Milwaukee show made up for the cancelled Madison show kast year!

3. If I had one request, it woulkd be to bring Maynard to the front of the stage more and off of the riser next to the drums. But oh well, Maynard will be Maynard!

GREAT show, great buzz, met some great people sitting near me who bought beers during the show (Brandon in Sec 4, Row L, Seat 33 is a GOD!) and "sipped some tea" with. Quite the experience!
OFFLINE |  
kkrempie
07-13-2007, 08:00 AM

well, i knew it would happen. my first show, and there is a drunken belligerent idiot behind me who kept talking about this and that. kept bitching about what they did between songs, which i thought was incredible and made the show that much better, and on top of that, there were two kids in front of me who sang along to two songs, schism and vicarious, and didnt even seem to know that much of any other songs. they would headbang simultaneously, waiting for the other's approval for the appropriate time to headbang and were constantly throwing the devil's horns in the air, blocking my friends view. not only that, but they sat down during wings &10K days, and most of lateralus. talk about disrespectful, but to hell with them. besides all of this, i had a great time at the show, although i was disappointed that they didnt play anything special considering they cancelled last time they were in wisconsin and never made it up, it was the 4th of july, and it was the 40th anniversary of summerfest. i guess i just had too high of expectations however. flood was absolutely mindblowing, and i got chills at the end of danny's solo in 46&2. overall, a great time, but im still kicking myself for passing up the chance to see them in 02' which from what i hear was the time to see them.

did anyone else here a little bit of a "third eye" tease before they broke into flood?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

well, i knew it would happen. my first show, and there is a drunken belligerent idiot behind me who kept talking about this and that. kept bitching about what they did between songs, which i thought was incredible and made the show that much better, and on top of that, there were two kids in front of me who sang along to two songs, schism and vicarious, and didnt even seem to know that much of any other songs. they would headbang simultaneously, waiting for the other's approval for the appropriate time to headbang and were constantly throwing the devil's horns in the air, blocking my friends view. not only that, but they sat down during wings &10K days, and most of lateralus. talk about disrespectful, but to hell with them. besides all of this, i had a great time at the show, although i was disappointed that they didnt play anything special considering they cancelled last time they were in wisconsin and never made it up, it was the 4th of july, and it was the 40th anniversary of summerfest. i guess i just had too high of expectations however. flood was absolutely mindblowing, and i got chills at the end of danny's solo in 46&2. overall, a great time, but im still kicking myself for passing up the chance to see them in 02' which from what i hear was the time to see them.

did anyone else here a little bit of a "third eye" tease before they broke into flood?
OFFLINE |  
bigworm's Avatar bigworm
07-13-2007, 10:06 AM

This was my fourth Tool Concert. The first two were in 2002, and I also saw them last year in Chicago. As far the visuals go, this was definately the most intense. I was the bald guy with the Bucks jersey going nuts in Section 3 all the way on Justin's side. I have absolutely no complaints. I just wish I could have heard Right In Two, because there were way too many talking monkeys walking around at Summerfest. Besides that, I'd say that this was the best Summerfest yet, just for the fact that Tool came, and I also had the privelage to see Roger Waters on the same stage two nights before.

My Highlights were Jambi, Wings, and Schism. Not to mention I almost shit my pants during the climax on 46&2. Oh yeah, Adam, nice work with the talkbox.

SHINE ON BENEVOLANT SUN!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my fourth Tool Concert. The first two were in 2002, and I also saw them last year in Chicago. As far the visuals go, this was definately the most intense. I was the bald guy with the Bucks jersey going nuts in Section 3 all the way on Justin's side. I have absolutely no complaints. I just wish I could have heard Right In Two, because there were way too many talking monkeys walking around at Summerfest. Besides that, I'd say that this was the best Summerfest yet, just for the fact that Tool came, and I also had the privelage to see Roger Waters on the same stage two nights before.

My Highlights were Jambi, Wings, and Schism. Not to mention I almost shit my pants during the climax on 46&2. Oh yeah, Adam, nice work with the talkbox.

SHINE ON BENEVOLANT SUN!
OFFLINE |  
Farmacyst
07-17-2007, 05:52 AM

Second show for me (see Council Bluffs, IA) and despite what some are saying, this show was amazing as well. I was thrilled to see the set list change up a bit from the first show (no Lost Keys; gained The Pot and Flood). Flood was a treat, not because the song didn't get much credit initially, but the visuals behind the band were perfect. Maynard's vocals seemed a bit lost outdoors with the mix, I do agree with those statements, but I don't know how much of that was his "murmuring" in to mic or the sound mix. I had seats in the second row of section 6 (dead center) with a perfect view, but could not keep from wishing that we had selected section 2 instead just to be down in the stage bunch. Considering our seats were partially blocked at the Council Bluffs show, I expected to take in the band as a whole this time, but found myself once again fixated on Danny in the back and Maynard with his riser antics. They are both so hypnotic to watch. Taking nothing away from Adam and Justin, they just mind their business.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:52 AM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Second show for me (see Council Bluffs, IA) and despite what some are saying, this show was amazing as well. I was thrilled to see the set list change up a bit from the first show (no Lost Keys; gained The Pot and Flood). Flood was a treat, not because the song didn't get much credit initially, but the visuals behind the band were perfect. Maynard's vocals seemed a bit lost outdoors with the mix, I do agree with those statements, but I don't know how much of that was his "murmuring" in to mic or the sound mix. I had seats in the second row of section 6 (dead center) with a perfect view, but could not keep from wishing that we had selected section 2 instead just to be down in the stage bunch. Considering our seats were partially blocked at the Council Bluffs show, I expected to take in the band as a whole this time, but found myself once again fixated on Danny in the back and Maynard with his riser antics. They are both so hypnotic to watch. Taking nothing away from Adam and Justin, they just mind their business.
OFFLINE |  
Hellspawn's Avatar Hellspawn
07-17-2007, 09:11 AM

I heard the Third Eye tease! I really wanted them to bust it out, too.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I heard the Third Eye tease! I really wanted them to bust it out, too.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply