opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 13. Ænema
User Name
Password
Old 11-21-2002, 11:39 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 65
fuck this, fuck that, etc.

rather than just shrugging it off with "i think that's stupid", i think when maynard's saying "fuck retro anything, fuck your tattoos" etc, he's saying that all these small things we hover our lives over, our stupid lattes and religions and actresses, none of them will do us any good in the long run. it's like he's giving an early response to anyone about to say "will my cool gun and hip gangster clothes help me become that thing everyone's trying to become?".

but if he says "fuck your tattoos", maybe i shouldn't have gotten that eye from "lateralus" tattoo'ed on my left hip.

heh. i really did. *buries head in hands*
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:07 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
I agree with what you're saying ...

I think the purpose of the song is to suggest that all these menial things people care so much don't really matter when you think about it. In the context of the armageddon scenario, forget all these stupid things 'cause the only thing you have to worry about now is saving yourself, "learn to swim". The real irony of the song is the fact that in light of a situation like armageddon, people only begin to realise the emphasis they place on trivial things when it's too late.

lat3ralis

Last edited by lat3ralis; 11-22-2002 at 01:10 AM..
Old 11-22-2002, 01:27 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 65
i like how you put that.

the other irony, to me, is that all my pothead friends say "yeah, i like that part about not liking gang members and shit but what's this crap about 'fuck all you junkies'? i don't like that...".
Old 11-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
OK

I think he's saying that the snobby/inconsiderate/investment banker type Losangelingoes care so much about all their materialistic lives that when "shit go's down" those lattes and figures wown't matter all that much.... I'm my opinion
Old 11-27-2002, 01:52 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

I think that what MJK is getting at is every thing that people have come to Idolize to the point that were missing the point of life . We waste some much time and engery trying to gains things that at the end of the day mean nothing . I dont think that on anyones deathbed there going to be freting over any of what MJK is railing on . I think that as a whole our values and prioritys are way out of wake and he just wants us/them to ether change or wake up and stop makeing our/his life a liveing hell . You try talking to a Frat boy or Sorortiy chick about life and it comes down to the bank account and the Car they drive . Its the petty bullshit that in the end , doesnt mean shit
Old 11-28-2002, 08:38 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Machine
I think that what MJK is getting at is every thing that people have come to Idolize to the point that were missing the point of life . We waste some much time and engery trying to gains things that at the end of the day mean nothing . I dont think that on anyones deathbed there going to be freting over any of what MJK is railing on . I think that as a whole our values and prioritys are way out of wake and he just wants us/them to ether change or wake up and stop makeing our/his life a liveing hell . You try talking to a Frat boy or Sorortiy chick about life and it comes down to the bank account and the Car they drive . Its the petty bullshit that in the end , doesnt mean shit
Kudos. I think that you really struck the nail on the head there, Machine. Materialism is obviously not the way to go if the end is here.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hey, when you're rotting in the ground, it won't matter how cool your clothes were. and there's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo. don't be ashamed.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #8
The Burninator

Bincount™: 483
HEHEHE

I know from experience that the only way to be truly happy is to have nothing. To exist on your own resources and make everything count. So I believe that this song is about letting go of all the little trivial crap and being free and happy.

BTW send me a PIC of that tattoo if you would.

mW

Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is that it is vibrating, and since all vibrations are theoretically sound. Then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such
Old 12-02-2002, 11:49 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

first off, before you get upset about having a tatoo because maynard says to fuck them, keep in mind that he has quite a large and intricate one covering his spine... when maynard says "fuck (this and that)" i think he simply finds them irrelevant... secondly, on an interpretational note, the reason he hopes we see armageddon soon, is that the end of the conscious life leads to the next phase of the collective unconscious, which is why he refers to it as a vacation, we are eternal, and life on earth and the 3rd demension is just a stage in our evolution (all this from the works of carl jung, a very influencial man in maynards life)... and lastly, as a "frat boy," know that such a stereotype is a bit judgemental, im sorry if one made fun of you when you were in college, but be open minded
Old 12-03-2002, 12:22 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Goat Reverend
first off, before you get upset about having a tatoo because maynard says to fuck them, keep in mind that he has quite a large and intricate one covering his spine... when maynard says "fuck (this and that)" i think he simply finds them irrelevant... secondly, on an interpretational note, the reason he hopes we see armageddon soon, is that the end of the conscious life leads to the next phase of the collective unconscious, which is why he refers to it as a vacation, we are eternal, and life on earth and the 3rd demension is just a stage in our evolution (all this from the works of carl jung, a very influencial man in maynards life)... and lastly, as a "frat boy," know that such a stereotype is a bit judgemental, im sorry if one made fun of you when you were in college, but be open minded
I enjoyed your interpretational note. I too belive that "the end of the conscious life leads to the next phase of the collective unconscious." I also think Maynard feels that way too. However when he refers to the tatoos I belive he's just talking about the materialistic things that seem to make us so happy....Tatoos,money, cars ect...
Old 12-07-2002, 11:44 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: fuck this, fuck that, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by idiotboy
but if he says "fuck your tattoos", maybe i shouldn't have gotten that eye from "lateralus" tattoo'ed on my left hip.

I believe the statement was more aimed toward people who cover themselves in tattoos (or anything else for that matter) as a means of altering or obscuring their identity... just as some people cover themselves with rich clothing, jewels, gold, a false persona, religion, intoxication, or any other shield people hide behind.

Maynard doesn't seem to be making a point out of the items themselves, but the way people use them to escape life... and because of that, Ænema has always struck me more as an attack on falseness...

The crack on "wannabe's" always makes me laugh...
Old 12-14-2002, 02:43 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17
i doubt maynards really bitching about the fuckedness of tattoos, considering his own on his back

as long as you don't do it to impress others. as long as it means something, so you don't just tattoo the simpsons to yourself
Old 12-15-2002, 04:17 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

To take the conversation down an intellectual level - theres just got to be something liberating about getting up on stage and screaming "fuck all those gun-toting hip-gangsta wannabe's" and feeling that passionate about what your saying.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by lat3ralis
I agree with what you're saying ...

I think the purpose of the song is to suggest that all these menial things people care so much don't really matter when you think about it. In the context of the armageddon scenario, forget all these stupid things 'cause the only thing you have to worry about now is saving yourself, "learn to swim". The real irony of the song is the fact that in light of a situation like armageddon, people only begin to realise the emphasis they place on trivial things when it's too late.

lat3ralis
i thought the song was about california falling off of the united states and going down into the ocean....hence the "learn to swim" and "i wanna watch the ground give way...flush it all away..."
Old 12-19-2002, 05:17 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

alLAmerica

Well drum_dood, in a literal sense you're right. It is aimed at LA specifically. But if you look at the lyrics, there isn't a town in this country that they don't apply to right now. The world has become an apathetic, oblivious shit hole! And "the only way to fix it is to flush it all away." There is no longer meaning or reason behind the things that people do or value. There is no longer a desire for compasion or understanding. People can no longer just sit back and enjoy life anymore. They are predisposed with putting on an act, fitting in with a certain group, gaining acceptance from other misereable fucks. The world is getting more and more pathetic by the minute. I hope the bible IS the truth and that God is going to end this project gone horribly wrong soon! Because if he is up there, I'd imagine he's pretty pissed right about now. He gives us this beautiful gift of life, and the only thing we can do with it is lie, cheat, and steal.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 12-22-2002, 07:10 AM   #16

Re: alLAmerica

Quote:
Originally posted by hyeboy
Well drum_dood, in a literal sense you're right. It is aimed at LA specifically. But if you look at the lyrics, there isn't a town in this country that they don't apply to right now. The world has become an apathetic, oblivious shit hole! And "the only way to fix it is to flush it all away." There is no longer meaning or reason behind the things that people do or value. There is no longer a desire for compasion or understanding. People can no longer just sit back and enjoy life anymore. They are predisposed with putting on an act, fitting in with a certain group, gaining acceptance from other misereable fucks. The world is getting more and more pathetic by the minute. I hope the bible IS the truth and that God is going to end this project gone horribly wrong soon! Because if he is up there, I'd imagine he's pretty pissed right about now. He gives us this beautiful gift of life, and the only thing we can do with it is lie, cheat, and steal.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
i agree and merry christmas to you too
Old 12-22-2002, 11:56 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Location: Inside your dreams, crushing them...(No really; Miami, Florida)
Wow, there are alot of Christians on this website, or at least Bible believers *not sure if ALL Bible believers are Christians*. Yeah I agree with what you guys are talking about, and I kinda feel the same way Maynard does. There is an afterlife, and stuff will happen soon. First thing's first...the Rapture. Then the 7 years of Living Hell, then Judgement Day. Then the final chaotic event...Armageddon, the battle between angels and demons, where the Heavens will triumph, and Micahel himself will cast Satan away into Hell, and seal it for 10,000 years. Armageddon will probably consist of a very catastrophic event, followed and/or combined with the decisive battle. That's what I know from Revelations.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all here on the board. ^_^
keeps me standing here today
I feel the pain, feel the burn,
immolating me inside
I keep fighting back these
demons because only
cowards hide!!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:11 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

I think it's a clear message about the 'filth' that permeates the southern California area and how Maynard personally feels about it.

His little offering "learn to swim," I believe, is just a taunt directed at that 'filth.' We can't be sure if Maynard really wants natural disasters to devestate the area, but I'm willing to bet he would probably would like to see it all dissappear over-night.

Of course, you would have to agree that this 'filth' exists there to begin with.

The tatoo, and retro comments may be a vague description of people Maynard knew personally or indirectly that seemed obsessed with these items and had other negative qualities that stereotypically coincided with them.

I think the 'fret for your' part is more in alignment with people's attachment to frivolous things.

..and yeah, I agree that this is becoming very common place, but LA is probably the epitome of it.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:51 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24
But what does he mean with " fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clothes"?
Well of course I assume he don`t like his philosofies, poems etc., but what the heck does he mean with "fuck all his clothes"? Did he have a bunch of clothes or something like that? Or maybe he`s just saying fuck clothes and figured that would be a good way to say it.
Anyone who got a clue?

Oh by the way, a link to an internett page about L Ron Hubbard for those who doesn`t know who he is. http://www.lronhubbard.org/
Old 01-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

what the -----

Um....I sincerely hope you're joking about that line. Clothes? It would help if you knew all the lyrics first. It's "fuck all his clones"! As in fuck L. Ron Hubbard, and all the people that follow him, or lead cults like him. You should spend some time in the lyrics section of this site. May help make more sense of the songs if you knew the words Maynard was saying.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:29 PM   #21

L.RON HUBBARD

This may seem stupid and it probably is, but as a result of my own laziness, I wanna know if anyone here knows exactly what Maynard was referring to when he states "fuck L. ron Hubbard, and all his clones...'
Old 01-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

wow, i think this is the most straightforward lyric on aenima, I am kind of surprised by the number of replies, it's basically fuck the unnecesary and ignorant
Old 01-21-2003, 09:36 PM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: L.RON HUBBARD

Quote:
Originally posted by 3rd eye
This may seem stupid and it probably is, but as a result of my own laziness, I wanna know if anyone here knows exactly what Maynard was referring to when he states "fuck L. ron Hubbard, and all his clones...'
Research scientology
Old 01-21-2003, 09:42 PM   #24

yeah I would have to agree with most of you people in here about this song in relation to petty little trivial things,......after all, at the last tool show I went to, just before playing Aenima Maynard spoke out and said something along the lines of ' during these tough and trying times, its easy to forget or lose sight of the things that REALLY matter to us, and that we can do our little bit for the world if we always keep this in mind' - or at least that's all I remember him saying.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:03 AM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

I always thought that it was about peoplenot beng undividuals. Guess i was wrong.

Anyway L Ron Hubbard, he was a nutcase that guy. Sorry if your into scuientology, but its a weird thing.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

scientology

The point seems to be that however exclusive and reclusive such a 'religion' is, you cannot seperate the individual from the shared responsibility and fate of life, consequently, even though they regard themselves as better (as i rather primitively understand it) they are still in the same boat as the rest of us, theyre gonna have to learn to swim too
Old 02-15-2003, 05:28 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorepoll
I always thought that it was about peoplenot beng undividuals. Guess i was wrong.

Anyway L Ron Hubbard, he was a nutcase that guy. Sorry if your into scuientology, but its a weird thing.
Well,
In my interpritaion it is about not being individuals.
The superficiality of a society and the shunning of free thinking has led to mass conformity. What he specifically says fuck to isnt as important as that they are all means of conforming. Being sickened by the way the world is and wishing for armageddion, knowing that people wrapped up in there fake ideals of life will not be able to survive or "swim"
mom = mother earth , seeking revenge on the parasites who blindly destroy the earth,

Further more i think that being offended by any of his lyrics or what he says fuck to is going against his intentions in the song, Fuck caring about what others think, have your own mind.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:11 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotboy

I think its pretty obvious that he's talking about people who get tattoos to be cool. You probably got that tattoo because Lateralus is special to you. But some people get stupid-ass meaningless tattoos because they think it makes them cool or "bad-ass." I know an idiot who got a Buddha tattooed on his arm and acted like it made him cool. First of all, he knew absolutely NOTHING about Buddhism, and second of all, he claimed to be a Christian. Maynard says fuck him.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:44 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum_dood
i thought the song was about california falling off of the united states and going down into the ocean....hence the "learn to swim" and "i wanna watch the ground give way...flush it all away..."

there is actually a theory that california is sinking into the ocean
thats where the picture in the cover comes from

all the "fuck this, fuck that" is basically saying, when california finally sinks into the ocean, all the material things that people worried about there whole lives, all the things people used to get people to like them, the latte's they drank everyday even though they're disgusting and made them sick but it made them look good, all that shit is only gonna weight them down

the comment about L Ron Hubbard, i think is more aimed towards everyone, hes a significant "celebrity" of you wanna cal him that, whos big in the news lately and stands for being a follower, believing that something or someone is gonna be there for you at the end to save your ass if only you kiss the asses of those about you first, when really when it all ends, its gonna be everyone for themselves

"learn to swim" , in my opinion, is rhetorical, its saying leave all that shit behind, you dont need it, rise about all that, keep only the things you really need in life, or your gonna drown

but thats just my thoughts
Old 09-19-2003, 04:59 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonnyst
all that shit is only gonna weight them down

"learn to swim" , in my opinion, is rhetorical, its saying leave all that shit behind, you dont need it, rise about all that, keep only the things you really need in life, or your gonna drown
I really like this post. All the useless crap is just useless. That's all there is to it. Like television, and guns, and um, underwear. There's no point!!!

DROP OUT!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:10 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

I think that the intellegence in these rooms is unbelievable. I would say something intellegent, but it is all said. I think you are all absolutely correct about it all.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: