opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Arts & Crafts
User Name
Password
Old 05-03-2003, 12:25 AM   #1
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 322
Oil Pastel: Reflection

This is how i spent my friday night...

http://www.morphedmedia.com/tdn/view...d=032405AM.jpg

it's an oil pastel drawing so it can be changed, at least the lighting could be... i'm not totally satisfied, but i never am when it comes to my art...

lemmi know what you guys wink
Old 05-03-2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
i like abstract stuff, so i though it was cool and interesting. reminded me of that movie...tron? yeah, i guess thats the name. hehe. you should keep doing more and praticing more! (i know i do). but what the hell is going on?? is it the end of the world as we know it??!?!?

i made a pastel painting/drawing/whatever oil pastel art is called, a while ago. its simple and i think it sucks. the style is the only thing i learn in art class: van gog dude style. tried to do more, but im lazy and im scared of smurfs.

http://dictterp.tripod.com/stuff/twoshadows.jpg

the only cool thing about it is that you can rotate and it doesnt have up/down/left/right. hehe.

Last edited by pdictter; 05-03-2003 at 01:52 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 04:11 AM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Looks like a dancefloor... :P

As an oil pastel painting, it's nice. I haven't used oil pastels since the last millennium because I don't like them so much but I like your painting.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

yea i agree, it really isn't anything special, it was much better as a drawing, much more detail can be achieved with pencil, using oil pastels are like using crayons as adults. i just was watching an alex grey video and he was painting with a sliver sized paintbrush, i wish i had the time and resources to invest in a painting like that, he's a god though, i'm sure i'm no where near his pinky toe, talent wise.

besides the quality of the drawing, what are your interpretations of the subject matter.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #5
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 773
Quote:
Originally posted by GregoryWohlwend

besides the quality of the drawing, what are your interpretations of the subject matter.
First off...That is an awsome piece of art! I could just stare at that all day. Really impressive.

As for the subject matter: I would interpret it as trying to maybe tap into alternate realities/dimensions, reaching a higher plane maybe? I see those squares as planes or something of that nature.

Really awsome stuff. Please keep it up!
Old 05-04-2003, 12:17 AM   #6
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
I like er. I like the flame. I also like the 'Reflection' title graphic. It seems like you can get some pretty bright colors with pastels, almost a shine.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 05-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

thanks for the comments, i'm trying to redo it in photoshop, i'll try and show you it to you soon enough, i have been working on my new site layout...
Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7
other

it reminds me of something dali would have done .. its way good . i love it.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 79
The grids kind of look like they're just below the surface of the water. Look's like it could be a junction of universes, where you can leave one and enter another with ease. The guy on the right's coming out, and the thing in the middle look's like it's going through(but at the same time around) the bhlack one to get to the yellow one. And the red grid with the flame coming out kind of shows either the instability that everything can have, or that even fire can have a mind of it's own.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
iS!
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
God yes. I'm mildly synesthetic (associating sensory input to a different sense), and this comes the closest of anything I've visually seen to what I auditorily "see" when I hear "Reflection." The grids of the "nyeeeow" synthesizer notes, and the feathered flames of Maynard's voice. I see the music, and you've painted some of what I see!

[edit: When I said "painted," I meant "portrayed," really. I like "paint" better though.]
Old 05-04-2003, 09:48 PM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

wow iS!, i'd have to say that is one of the coolest interpretations i have ever heard from any of my art. i'm glad we could connect in that way... although my intent may not have had tool in mind afterward it is what i thought of, not neccessarily the song althought it may have had an influence, yet the definition as well... i'll pm you my intent/interpretation since you have decided on one intially, this way i won't ruin it... same with empty_blanket.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67
the sinking grid in that drawing is sorta like what I saw on the acid trip I posted about in the Drug stories thread
Old 05-08-2003, 07:08 PM   #13
Banned.

Bincount™: 60
awesome.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: