Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
05-28-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torthlert
I'm just going to say this again guys... It's NOT FETAL SPOONING, nor is it NEEDLE SPOONING. I think a lot of you just want to part of the 'group' and really have worked your lives in to a mindset of not 'thinking for yourself.' It's obviously neither of those. I've had LSD encounters almost identical to the one described in the song Rosetta Stoned, been to the doctor, raved and raved about how the alien's contacted me, told me I was a 'messiah', that they were my future parents, that I could join them in my body of light (which looked like a rotating iridescent star tetrahedron), or that I could come back to my body (will i ever be coming down?) and continue on with my journey here on earth.

In my various encounters with these extra (inner?)terrestrials (I think they just exist in subtler realities or altered/parallel dimensions/universes, and are somehow more REAL and more a part of us than anything in the mundane/scientific world), NEVER, NEVER, would any of these types of hyperdimensional creatures have anything to do with some ridiculous thing such as SPOONING. Fetal spooning? What the fuck. Just admit it, it makes NO SENSE. Stop settling for the things that 'sort of sound like what maynard's saying.'

The minute you hear the 'right' lyric, it resonates with you. And Fetal and needle, don't. simply put.

And one more thing...There IS EXTREMELY deep meanings behind this song, and all TOOL songs. They've put every ounce of each of their hearts in to all their songs. They aren't doing it just to make you BANG YOUR HEAD, MOSH, or to 'fuck with you.'

These guys really want to get an honest message across, as catharsis, to the absolute jaded/bullshit world we live in. (even though in many ways, it's a beautiful place).

Thanks.

Now, where did that pickle go?
Oh Christ, are you now telling us you identify with all this because you're an acid freak??? Wow, I'm impressed.....

Perhaps you can explain to us why the fuck aliens would be feeding somebody orange slices.....which is just as absurd as fetal spooning or Peanut's parents....

But since you've had so many of these alien encounters whilst frying your brain, I'm sure you have all the answers....
Old 05-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #601
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367
Re: It's NOT fetal spooning

Quote:
I'm just going to say this again guys... It's NOT FETAL SPOONING, nor is it NEEDLE SPOONING. I think a lot of you just want to part of the 'group' and really have worked your lives in to a mindset of not 'thinking for yourself.' It's obviously neither of those. I've had LSD encounters almost identical to the one described in the song Rosetta Stoned, been to the doctor, raved and raved about how the alien's contacted me, told me I was a 'messiah', that they were my future parents, that I could join them in my body of light (which looked like a rotating iridescent star tetrahedron), or that I could come back to my body (will i ever be coming down?) and continue on with my journey here on earth.

In my various encounters with these extra (inner?)terrestrials (I think they just exist in subtler realities or altered/parallel dimensions/universes, and are somehow more REAL and more a part of us than anything in the mundane/scientific world), NEVER, NEVER, would any of these types of hyperdimensional creatures have anything to do with some ridiculous thing such as SPOONING. Fetal spooning? What the fuck. Just admit it, it makes NO SENSE. Stop settling for the things that 'sort of sound like what maynard's saying.'

The minute you hear the 'right' lyric, it resonates with you. And Fetal and needle, don't. simply put.

And one more thing...There IS EXTREMELY deep meanings behind this song, and all TOOL songs. They've put every ounce of each of their hearts in to all their songs. They aren't doing it just to make you BANG YOUR HEAD, MOSH, or to 'fuck with you.'

These guys really want to get an honest message across, as catharsis, to the absolute jaded/bullshit world we live in. (even though in many ways, it's a beautiful place).

Thanks.

Now, where did that pickle go?
Oh Christ, are you now telling us you identify with all this because you're an acid freak??? Wow, I'm impressed.....

Perhaps you can explain to us why the fuck aliens would be feeding somebody orange slices.....which is just as absurd as fetal spooning or Peanut's parents....

But since you've had so many of these alien encounters whilst frying your brain, I'm sure you have all the answers....
OFFLINE |  
Systolic
05-28-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman

Nice.

+1
Old 05-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #602
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862

Quote:

Nice.

+1
05-28-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Nevermind, others beat me to it and were more clear in their rebuttals...

Quote:
Can you please provide a possible alternative, perhaps something that is not beneath your alien soul-mates?

Last edited by HallsOfMandos; 05-28-2006 at 04:02 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #603
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Nevermind, others beat me to it and were more clear in their rebuttals...

Quote:
Can you please provide a possible alternative, perhaps something that is not beneath your alien soul-mates?

Last edited by HallsOfMandos; 05-28-2006 at 04:02 PM..
OFFLINE |  
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
05-28-2006, 04:01 PM

oh, is there a way to delete your own comment when you do something like that? oops
Old 05-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #604
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972
Re: "the blotter bad one on top of me"

oh, is there a way to delete your own comment when you do something like that? oops
OFFLINE |  
EternalSiGN's Avatar EternalSiGN
05-28-2006, 05:20 PM

y orange slices u ask.. have you ever heard that when u are freaking out on drugs they give u orange slice calm down your mind and slows your heart rate.. ppl also eat oranges if they are having a panic attack

as for y the fetal spooning makes sence.. your bodys position in your mother thats when you feel the safest... makes sence sure it does

Last edited by EternalSiGN; 05-28-2006 at 05:24 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #605
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

y orange slices u ask.. have you ever heard that when u are freaking out on drugs they give u orange slice calm down your mind and slows your heart rate.. ppl also eat oranges if they are having a panic attack

as for y the fetal spooning makes sence.. your bodys position in your mother thats when you feel the safest... makes sence sure it does

Last edited by EternalSiGN; 05-28-2006 at 05:24 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Ranger10000
05-28-2006, 11:53 PM

What about ?

And can anyone tell me why?
All with some/awesome peanuts and carrots
will i ever be coming down?

what do you think?

Last edited by Ranger10000; 05-29-2006 at 12:22 AM..
Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #606
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Lyrics

What about ?

what do you think?

Last edited by Ranger10000; 05-29-2006 at 12:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Ranger10000
05-29-2006, 12:05 AM

and while im at it... i have a live copy of RS and its more clear

I hope that the Martian doesnt notice i pissed my fucking pants

Last edited by Ranger10000; 05-29-2006 at 01:29 AM..
Old 05-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #607

and while im at it... i have a live copy of RS and its more clear

I hope that the Martian doesnt notice i pissed my fucking pants

Last edited by Ranger10000; 05-29-2006 at 01:29 AM..
OFFLINE |  
whitewater's Avatar whitewater
05-29-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagedthirdeye
Sorry, I honestly thought it was "the blotter bad one on top of me", but after hearing a live recording it sounds more like "the blotter gotten on top of me." I did not know I was not allowed to post my opinion being it is the opinion section. I wasn't trying to start an argument based on silly lines like "bob climbed on top of me." The line I was suggesting seemed to make sense to me within the context of the song.
Oh, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about posting silly lyrics. As far as mistakenly heard lines go, yours was far from stupid... especially compared to some of the interpretations.

It's just most of these threads drift off into stupid discussions and impossible suggestions of the lyrics.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 AM   #608

Bincount™: 1001
Re: "the blotter bad one on top of me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagedthirdeye
Sorry, I honestly thought it was "the blotter bad one on top of me", but after hearing a live recording it sounds more like "the blotter gotten on top of me." I did not know I was not allowed to post my opinion being it is the opinion section. I wasn't trying to start an argument based on silly lines like "bob climbed on top of me." The line I was suggesting seemed to make sense to me within the context of the song.
Oh, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about posting silly lyrics. As far as mistakenly heard lines go, yours was far from stupid... especially compared to some of the interpretations.

It's just most of these threads drift off into stupid discussions and impossible suggestions of the lyrics.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
OFFLINE |  
05-29-2006, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLIEve
But an incorrect correction.

I have ripped the song to CuBase SX3 and slowed it down and parametrically equalized it. Some of it is still completely unintelligable due to the "pipe bomb" microphone's random pitch shifting effects.

But "Uncle Marvin". Is. Dead. On.

Also argument I can help settle, it's "Fetal Spooning". Not "Needle Spooning."

I'm still working on it as time allows.
That's crap. You've probably distorted it so much that now you're hearing what you wanna hear. It can be quite clearly heard as Uncle Martin, and given that Uncle Martin fits into the song since he was an alien, I refuse to believe that it's Uncle Marvin. How does Marvin even fit?! Why would he spontaneously be mentioning uncle marvin out of the blue like that? Absurd.

Fetal Spooning is correct though.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:58 AM   #609

Re: Correction on the lyrics

Quote:
But an incorrect correction.

I have ripped the song to CuBase SX3 and slowed it down and parametrically equalized it. Some of it is still completely unintelligable due to the "pipe bomb" microphone's random pitch shifting effects.

But "Uncle Marvin". Is. Dead. On.

Also argument I can help settle, it's "Fetal Spooning". Not "Needle Spooning."

I'm still working on it as time allows.
That's crap. You've probably distorted it so much that now you're hearing what you wanna hear. It can be quite clearly heard as Uncle Martin, and given that Uncle Martin fits into the song since he was an alien, I refuse to believe that it's Uncle Marvin. How does Marvin even fit?! Why would he spontaneously be mentioning uncle marvin out of the blue like that? Absurd.

OFFLINE |  
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
05-29-2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater
How does Marvin even fit?! Why would he spontaneously be mentioning uncle marvin out of the blue like that? Absurd.

MARVIN IS JUST AS MUCH MARTIAN AS MARTIN....ITS NO MORE ABSURD.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #610
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
How does Marvin even fit?! Why would he spontaneously be mentioning uncle marvin out of the blue like that? Absurd.

05-29-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11

Alright, fine. I'm not arguing this anymore, I'm just gonna reserve the right to call you a dumbass when the official lyrics come out.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11

Alright, fine. I'm not arguing this anymore, I'm just gonna reserve the right to call you a dumbass when the official lyrics come out.
OFFLINE |  
Torthlert's Avatar Torthlert
05-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Psychedelics aren't for everyone.
If they were intended for you, you would have NEVER asked me about the oranges.
Duh...

(but) I must sympathize. LSD is lumped together with other scheduule 1 'drugs' that 'fry your brain' (you actuallly still believe that egg in the frying pan commercal?). It's too bad. Since the opposite side of the coin, seems to be the assosication that it's just some 'hippy drug' to supposidly 'expand your consciousness.' LSD is really a powerful tool that can be used for rapid inner growth.

However, I humbly accept my position, as a 'junkie' in your eyes! The coincidence opposotorum, shall hold me for the rest of my days.

Tinkle in your mouth, it's fun!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #612
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Psychedelics aren't for everyone.
If they were intended for you, you would have NEVER asked me about the oranges.
Duh...

(but) I must sympathize. LSD is lumped together with other scheduule 1 'drugs' that 'fry your brain' (you actuallly still believe that egg in the frying pan commercal?). It's too bad. Since the opposite side of the coin, seems to be the assosication that it's just some 'hippy drug' to supposidly 'expand your consciousness.' LSD is really a powerful tool that can be used for rapid inner growth.

However, I humbly accept my position, as a 'junkie' in your eyes! The coincidence opposotorum, shall hold me for the rest of my days.

Tinkle in your mouth, it's fun!
05-29-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger10000
What about ?

what do you think?
nah
Old 05-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #613

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger10000
What about ?

what do you think?
nah
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemone
It's "can anyone tell me why you all sound like Peanuts parents", from multiple live recordings, and pretty clear in hindsight on the studio version. The guy can't understand what his doctors are saying, so he's asking desperately if he will ever be coming down.

I agree. Excellent work!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #614

Quote:
It's "can anyone tell me why you all sound like Peanuts parents", from multiple live recordings, and pretty clear in hindsight on the studio version. The guy can't understand what his doctors are saying, so he's asking desperately if he will ever be coming down.

I agree. Excellent work!
05-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Uncle Marvin is from a TV show in the 60-70s. It referenced an ET that looked like a man. But seeing as how it was mentioned much EARLIER in THIS THREAD I won't repeat it.

Read before you post please.
Oh yeah, and what was the name of the TV show?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #615

Quote:
Uncle Marvin is from a TV show in the 60-70s. It referenced an ET that looked like a man. But seeing as how it was mentioned much EARLIER in THIS THREAD I won't repeat it.

Read before you post please.
Oh yeah, and what was the name of the TV show?
OFFLINE |  
05-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
"I shouldn't have to say it all again..."

Read the thread.
Okay, just to appease your pretentious ass I read the thread again. The only TV sitcom mentioned is 'My favorite martian'.

Google Search

From Amazon.com
Genres: Comedy, Family, Sci-Fi
Plot Outline A sarcastic Martian comes to live with a hapless young Terran on Earth.
Plot Synopsis: Exodus, an alien from the planet Mars, comes to earth and lives with Timothy O'Hara under the guise of his uncle Martin O'Hara. He spends most of his time trying to solve some problems caused by his presence in Earth.

TV.com
My Favorite Martian first aired in September of 1963 on CBS and was probably one of the first sitcoms with a "bizarre" or fantasy premise to emerge in the early to mid 1960's. It joined the ranks with Mister Ed which began in 1961. The series centered around Tim O'Hara, who worked as a reporter for The Los Angeles Sun. Tim stumbled across a space-ship that crashed and discovered a Martian. Tim became friends with the Martian and began passing him off as his Uncle Martin.

IMDB.com
Series Complete credited cast:
Ray Walston .... Uncle Martin (The Martian)

Take some of your own advice.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #616

Quote:
"I shouldn't have to say it all again..."

Read the thread.
Okay, just to appease your pretentious ass I read the thread again. The only TV sitcom mentioned is 'My favorite martian'.

Google Search

From Amazon.com
Genres: Comedy, Family, Sci-Fi
Plot Outline A sarcastic Martian comes to live with a hapless young Terran on Earth.
Plot Synopsis: Exodus, an alien from the planet Mars, comes to earth and lives with Timothy O'Hara under the guise of his uncle Martin O'Hara. He spends most of his time trying to solve some problems caused by his presence in Earth.

TV.com
My Favorite Martian first aired in September of 1963 on CBS and was probably one of the first sitcoms with a "bizarre" or fantasy premise to emerge in the early to mid 1960's. It joined the ranks with Mister Ed which began in 1961. The series centered around Tim O'Hara, who worked as a reporter for The Los Angeles Sun. Tim stumbled across a space-ship that crashed and discovered a Martian. Tim became friends with the Martian and began passing him off as his Uncle Martin.

IMDB.com
Series Complete credited cast:
Ray Walston .... Uncle Martin (The Martian)

Take some of your own advice.
OFFLINE |  
Mr C's Avatar Mr C
05-30-2006, 04:12 AM

Can anyone tell me if i'm allowed to post a version of RS that i've slowed down to 2\3 speed and put some high in the vocals to possibly help you guy's out a bit or should i let you work it out for yourselves.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:12 AM   #617
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Can anyone tell me if i'm allowed to post a version of RS that i've slowed down to 2\3 speed and put some high in the vocals to possibly help you guy's out a bit or should i let you work it out for yourselves.
05-30-2006, 11:01 AM

ppl always post stuff... and yeah ive heard slowed down things posted in here too... Maynards not gonna come knocking on yer door... go ahead post it
Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #618

ppl always post stuff... and yeah ive heard slowed down things posted in here too... Maynards not gonna come knocking on yer door... go ahead post it
OFFLINE |  
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
05-30-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:

I ANXIOULSY AWAIT THE DAY....
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #619
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:

I ANXIOULSY AWAIT THE DAY....
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asprinbah
Maynard has one fucked up sense of humor!
Dude, I love this song for that. It's crazy fun. To me, the song sounds like the immature brain at work in a situation that's gone wrong. And, I've been there, hehe.

I apologize for not adding more to the content but, I wanted to thank all for the help with lyrics. Thank you!

E-MF-T :)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #620
Banned.

Bincount™: 7
Re: Lyrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asprinbah
Maynard has one fucked up sense of humor!
Dude, I love this song for that. It's crazy fun. To me, the song sounds like the immature brain at work in a situation that's gone wrong. And, I've been there, hehe.

I apologize for not adding more to the content but, I wanted to thank all for the help with lyrics. Thank you!

E-MF-T :)
OFFLINE |  
Shaz's Avatar Shaz
05-30-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21
I agree. Excellent work!

Holy crap. i always thought meanest parents... but "YA'LL sound like peanuts parents"...

whoah.

eh well...

peace
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM   #621
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
I agree. Excellent work!

Holy crap. i always thought meanest parents... but "YA'LL sound like peanuts parents"...

whoah.

eh well...

peace
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntorn
spooning in a fetal postition. sometimes you have to spell it out for people.
No way... that makes too much sense to be right. We are supposed to take what makes the least sense and use that as the lyrics!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #622

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntorn
spooning in a fetal postition. sometimes you have to spell it out for people.
No way... that makes too much sense to be right. We are supposed to take what makes the least sense and use that as the lyrics!
OFFLINE |  
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM

From the climax of the song, the one we're all so in love with. "Born to bear" just didn't add up for me. But he clearly says it. Then it clicked.

I will posit that "Born to bear..." is wrong. It should be "Borne to bear..."

I noticed on www.dictionary.com that

"Borne" is defined simply as a past participle of "bear"

"Bear" is defined as:

To offer; render: e.g., I will bear witness to the deed.

This seems to fit better than "born to bear" does.

Last edited by tbrent21; 05-31-2006 at 04:50 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #623

Lyric: "Born to bear" may be wrong

From the climax of the song, the one we're all so in love with. "Born to bear" just didn't add up for me. But he clearly says it. Then it clicked.

I will posit that "Born to bear..." is wrong. It should be "Borne to bear..."

I noticed on www.dictionary.com that

"Borne" is defined simply as a past participle of "bear"

"Bear" is defined as:

To offer; render: e.g., I will bear witness to the deed.

Last edited by tbrent21; 05-31-2006 at 04:50 PM..
OFFLINE |  
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM

cool
Old 05-31-2006, 05:15 PM   #624
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261
Re: Lyric: "Born to bear" is wrong

cool
OFFLINE |  
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Beared (Borne) to bear doesn't make sense.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #625
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: Lyric: "Born to bear" may be wrong

Quote:

Beared (Borne) to bear doesn't make sense.
05-31-2006, 06:48 PM

Well, "born to bear" is also "beared (born) to bear". So pick your poison.

More from www.dictionary.com:

Thanks to the vagaries of English spelling, bear has two past participles: born and borne. Traditionally, born is used only in passive constructions referring to birth: I was born in Chicago. For all other uses, including active constructions referring to birth, borne is the standard form: She has borne both her children at home. I have borne his insolence with the patience of a saint.

For what its worth. If this is right, then if "born" is the correct lyric, then the character must see himself as "born" (i.e. was given birth to) for the purpose of bearing witness to the Message of Hope For Those Who Choose to Hear It. I am not sure I'm buying that. He says this shit never happens to him, and he says "they chose me!" in seeming awe. Saying you're "born to do something" usually means you're damn good at it (Michael Jordan was "born" to play basketball, for example). This guy knows he's a fuck-up (to "shit the bed again", he laments, is "typical"). So I'm going with "Borne to bear" because its the "standard form" of the past participle, not to mention it sounds more, well, poetic.

[P.S. This is a message for those who choose to hear it. For those who do not, well, go over to the thread arguing whether he says "allright then" or "allrighty then" and knock yourself out.]

Last edited by tbrent21; 05-31-2006 at 08:26 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #626

Well, "born to bear" is also "beared (born) to bear". So pick your poison.

More from www.dictionary.com:

Thanks to the vagaries of English spelling, bear has two past participles: born and borne. Traditionally, born is used only in passive constructions referring to birth: I was born in Chicago. For all other uses, including active constructions referring to birth, borne is the standard form: She has borne both her children at home. I have borne his insolence with the patience of a saint.

For what its worth. If this is right, then if "born" is the correct lyric, then the character must see himself as "born" (i.e. was given birth to) for the purpose of bearing witness to the Message of Hope For Those Who Choose to Hear It. I am not sure I'm buying that. He says this shit never happens to him, and he says "they chose me!" in seeming awe. Saying you're "born to do something" usually means you're damn good at it (Michael Jordan was "born" to play basketball, for example). This guy knows he's a fuck-up (to "shit the bed again", he laments, is "typical"). So I'm going with "Borne to bear" because its the "standard form" of the past participle, not to mention it sounds more, well, poetic.

[P.S. This is a message for those who choose to hear it. For those who do not, well, go over to the thread arguing whether he says "allright then" or "allrighty then" and knock yourself out.]

Last edited by tbrent21; 05-31-2006 at 08:26 PM..
OFFLINE |  
savelints8's Avatar savelints8
05-31-2006, 08:10 PM

Fuckin' English language! So many words to learn...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #627
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

Fuckin' English language! So many words to learn...
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
05-31-2006, 08:43 PM

wouldn't it be "bare"? because he's revealing "the message"....you got the word wrong...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 PM   #628
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

wouldn't it be "bare"? because he's revealing "the message"....you got the word wrong...
06-01-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist
Ditto... that's why "fetal spooning" is right. ;)

Has "fetal spooning" really been generally accepted? I don't hear that at ALL. For starters I only hear one syllable before the "s" sound. It could be that the "s" sound is a transition from one syllable to the next within the same word.

My personal opinion is that this is a brand name reference that none of us are getting. He's been given orange slices and some other kind of food. The song's full of these brand name references (Krispy Kremes, Sunkist, etc.). Its just harder to decipher this one.

Fetal spooning . . . please!

Last edited by tbrent21; 06-01-2006 at 06:37 AM..
Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 AM   #629

Re: Lyrics?

Quote:
Ditto... that's why "fetal spooning" is right. ;)

Has "fetal spooning" really been generally accepted? I don't hear that at ALL. For starters I only hear one syllable before the "s" sound. It could be that the "s" sound is a transition from one syllable to the next within the same word.

My personal opinion is that this is a brand name reference that none of us are getting. He's been given orange slices and some other kind of food. The song's full of these brand name references (Krispy Kremes, Sunkist, etc.). Its just harder to decipher this one.

Fetal spooning . . . please!

Last edited by tbrent21; 06-01-2006 at 06:37 AM..
OFFLINE |  
optimistic-pessimist's Avatar optimistic-pessimist
06-01-2006, 06:57 AM

I'd bet on it.

We'll see...
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
Old 06-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #630
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: Fetal Spooning

I'd bet on it.

We'll see...
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Martin's Avatar Martin
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM

Don't know if anyone's tried it, but I found it a heck of a lot easier to catch the lyrics when I listen to only the left or the right speaker alone. The "double-vocals" make some words hard to get hold of, so try setting your system to either right or left to try for yourselves.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #631
Level 7 - Loquacious

Don't know if anyone's tried it, but I found it a heck of a lot easier to catch the lyrics when I listen to only the left or the right speaker alone. The "double-vocals" make some words hard to get hold of, so try setting your system to either right or left to try for yourselves.
TheIronChef's Avatar TheIronChef
06-01-2006, 02:49 PM

"I hope that Mork here dosen't realize I pissed my fuckin pants"
Nanoo Nanoo
Old 06-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #632
Level 1 - Lurker

"I hope that Mork here dosen't realize I pissed my fuckin pants"
Nanoo Nanoo
OFFLINE |  
lambandmartyr's Avatar lambandmartyr
06-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I'd bet on it.

We'll see...
gotta agree with opt-pess on this one. if memory serves, orange juice (or citric acid of any kind) has a calming effect (it interacts with the drug somehow...please feel free to comment on this assumption) on someone who's trippin heavy on LSD and fetal spooning would also serve to calm the afflicted.

i also hear Peanuts Parents (which could be a reference to the blah blah blah way in which all adults speak in Peanuts cartoons).

i find it strange that people find this song funny. i don't hear it that way, at all. my opinion on the song (for what it's worth) is somewhat split. what with the blotter and dead head references, it's clear the protagonist is trippin on LSD. but is this just a bad trip that ends up in the hospital? or has the protagonist truly had a close encounter of the third kind followed by a close encounter with gov't brain scrubbers who then left him at the hospital? perhaps, there wasn't any LSD involved at all because in LK(BH), the doctor looks at a chart that contains nothing out of the ordinary. don't you think LSD might show up on the chart???

i like to think he has had the latter experience and that he truly was given this information but it has been cleared (for the most part) from his consciousness. the memory is like a dream in that he remembers bits--not having a pen to write down this significant info is a metaphor for not having the memory of what he's been told. shitting the bed is in fact a true memory he retained from being strapped down in the bed and given god knows what kind of drugs/treatments/whatever. perhaps the memory of this humiliation is deep and doesn't scrub easily.

i'm sure this is all a ramble and will be struck down as such. but there's my 2 cents worth! bottom line, RS is one fucking great tool song. it's soooo very tool!

cheers!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #633
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Fetal Spooning

Quote:
I'd bet on it.

We'll see...
gotta agree with opt-pess on this one. if memory serves, orange juice (or citric acid of any kind) has a calming effect (it interacts with the drug somehow...please feel free to comment on this assumption) on someone who's trippin heavy on LSD and fetal spooning would also serve to calm the afflicted.

i also hear Peanuts Parents (which could be a reference to the blah blah blah way in which all adults speak in Peanuts cartoons).

i find it strange that people find this song funny. i don't hear it that way, at all. my opinion on the song (for what it's worth) is somewhat split. what with the blotter and dead head references, it's clear the protagonist is trippin on LSD. but is this just a bad trip that ends up in the hospital? or has the protagonist truly had a close encounter of the third kind followed by a close encounter with gov't brain scrubbers who then left him at the hospital? perhaps, there wasn't any LSD involved at all because in LK(BH), the doctor looks at a chart that contains nothing out of the ordinary. don't you think LSD might show up on the chart???

i like to think he has had the latter experience and that he truly was given this information but it has been cleared (for the most part) from his consciousness. the memory is like a dream in that he remembers bits--not having a pen to write down this significant info is a metaphor for not having the memory of what he's been told. shitting the bed is in fact a true memory he retained from being strapped down in the bed and given god knows what kind of drugs/treatments/whatever. perhaps the memory of this humiliation is deep and doesn't scrub easily.

i'm sure this is all a ramble and will be struck down as such. but there's my 2 cents worth! bottom line, RS is one fucking great tool song. it's soooo very tool!

cheers!
lonelydumptruck's Avatar lonelydumptruck
06-01-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
I think that both these interpretations are plausible, and, frankly, unsurprising, given the ubiquity of double entendres in Tool lyrics. Putting it in context:

"Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending"

it seems likely that the speaker is both bearing a "burden" and baring the "details."

As to the whole born vs borne, I really think that it is an insignificant distinction whether the speaker feels that he was born (i.e. at the time of his "natural" birth) for the task or whether he was borne (experiencing a rebirth after contact with the aliens), and probably not one that adds anything to one's understanding of the song.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #634
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I think that both these interpretations are plausible, and, frankly, unsurprising, given the ubiquity of double entendres in Tool lyrics. Putting it in context:

"Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending"

it seems likely that the speaker is both bearing a "burden" and baring the "details."

As to the whole born vs borne, I really think that it is an insignificant distinction whether the speaker feels that he was born (i.e. at the time of his "natural" birth) for the task or whether he was borne (experiencing a rebirth after contact with the aliens), and probably not one that adds anything to one's understanding of the song.
06-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Actually that's a good point that I haven't seen brought up before in this thread... It never occurred to me that if he was on, or coming down from, an LSD trip, that it would most likely show up on the hospital chart. Interesting....
Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #635
Level 7 - Loquacious

Actually that's a good point that I haven't seen brought up before in this thread... It never occurred to me that if he was on, or coming down from, an LSD trip, that it would most likely show up on the hospital chart. Interesting....
OFFLINE |  
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM

and it's not ending, it's inning. He is saying " what is to 'come'"...i've listened many times...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #636
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

and it's not ending, it's inning. He is saying " what is to 'come'"...i've listened many times...
moenkopi46_2
06-02-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
This one sounds right to me. In one of the live versions Maynard turns "you all" into "y'all."
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #637
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
This one sounds right to me. In one of the live versions Maynard turns "you all" into "y'all."
OFFLINE |  
palindrom_dome
06-02-2006, 03:34 AM

I've always been hearing "all of a sudden my penis hurts", but just out of interest what the hell is peanuts parents? Is it a reference to something cause i'm not familiar with it?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #638
Level 1 - Lurker

I've always been hearing "all of a sudden my penis hurts", but just out of interest what the hell is peanuts parents? Is it a reference to something cause i'm not familiar with it?
OFFLINE |  
06-02-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Reading posts like this, I'm learning that I enjoy listening to Tool's music infinite times more than I enjoy discussing Tool's music online.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #639

Quote:
Reading posts like this, I'm learning that I enjoy listening to Tool's music infinite times more than I enjoy discussing Tool's music online.
06-02-2006, 04:35 AM

On the animated version of the Peanuts cartoon, all of the adults sound the same to the kids... an incoherent "Wah wah wah wah wah..." Imagine if your mom was droning on about why you didn't pick up your clothes...

I'm not sure how that line really fits into the story line of the song, though. If he says "You all sound like Peanuts' parents." then who exactly is he talking about? The other people in the hospital? Well he obviously understood the doctor at the beginning of the song... that why he starts telling the story. Is he talking about the aliens? Well assuming there is more than one alien around him... he was still obviously able to understand them because "ET revealed to me his singular purpose... He said 'You are the chosen one...'" So who exactly is it that he can't understand?

Anyway... maybe it is the correct line and I'm just overanalyzing.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:35 AM   #640
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Peanuts' parents

On the animated version of the Peanuts cartoon, all of the adults sound the same to the kids... an incoherent "Wah wah wah wah wah..." Imagine if your mom was droning on about why you didn't pick up your clothes...

I'm not sure how that line really fits into the story line of the song, though. If he says "You all sound like Peanuts' parents." then who exactly is he talking about? The other people in the hospital? Well he obviously understood the doctor at the beginning of the song... that why he starts telling the story. Is he talking about the aliens? Well assuming there is more than one alien around him... he was still obviously able to understand them because "ET revealed to me his singular purpose... He said 'You are the chosen one...'" So who exactly is it that he can't understand?

Anyway... maybe it is the correct line and I'm just overanalyzing.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply