Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-14-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical
umm......no. but seeing as you're from germany, it wouldn't surprise me if he sung those lyrics live at a show there. but on the album? nope.
Lol no, sorry, it was just a joke.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #641
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60
Re: 05 - The Pot lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical
umm......no. but seeing as you're from germany, it wouldn't surprise me if he sung those lyrics live at a show there. but on the album? nope.
OFFLINE |  
Typical's Avatar Typical
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
damn i guess my sarcasm meter needs a tuneup then haha. my bad :)
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #642
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
damn i guess my sarcasm meter needs a tuneup then haha. my bad :)
OFFLINE |  
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-14-2006, 09:38 AM

I definitely hear "hair" and not "head". There is no hard D sound at all... just a lingering R.

At first I thought he was saying "I hold deep" but after listening to it about a hundred times it sounds like "Eye hole deep" to me.

That works with all of the "Eyeballs deep in muddy waters"... which I thought was "I'm balls deep in muddy waters" the first few times I listened.

Finally, it's 100% "mighty finger" and not "fatty finger".
Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #643
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

I definitely hear "hair" and not "head". There is no hard D sound at all... just a lingering R.

At first I thought he was saying "I hold deep" but after listening to it about a hundred times it sounds like "Eye hole deep" to me.

That works with all of the "Eyeballs deep in muddy waters"... which I thought was "I'm balls deep in muddy waters" the first few times I listened.

Finally, it's 100% "mighty finger" and not "fatty finger".
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticfactory
Correct. As in the end: "You must have been out your mine".
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #644
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Correct. As in the end: "You must have been out your mine".
OFFLINE |  
mike tyson's Avatar mike tyson
06-14-2006, 02:19 PM

it's definitely "save your shady inference".. not "savoir, shady inference"
Old 06-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #645
$2 + a potato = $2

Bincount™: 7267

OFFLINE |  
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM

I see we're still stuck with people who enjoy posting their ideas to what the lyrics are without actually thinking them through.

"Out of your head" is a common phrase.
"Out of your hair" is not.

It's 'head', no hard 'd' sound no, but there doesn't need to be. Think about in Ticks & Leeches where the official lyrics say he's saying "My blood is bruised and borrowed" when what it sounds like he's singing is "My friend is bruised and borrowed".

I still say it's "Steal, borrow, reversing your shady inference.", I don't hear 'save' at all anymore.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #646
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I see we're still stuck with people who enjoy posting their ideas to what the lyrics are without actually thinking them through.

It's 'head', no hard 'd' sound no, but there doesn't need to be. Think about in Ticks & Leeches where the official lyrics say he's saying "My blood is bruised and borrowed" when what it sounds like he's singing is "My friend is bruised and borrowed".

I still say it's "Steal, borrow, reversing your shady inference.", I don't hear 'save' at all anymore.
06-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Ganja Please, you must, have been, out your mind.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #647
Level 1 - Lurker

Ganja Please, you must, have been, out your mind.
OFFLINE |  
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-14-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypool
Ganja Police, you must, have been, out your mind.
No, it's Ganja Puh-leeze.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #648
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypool
Ganja Police, you must, have been, out your mind.
06-14-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDC_4_LYF!
couldnt be bothered reading everything, so if this has been brought up, ignore this:

whos gonna believe me on my first ever post? but i rekkons:

the ganja police line (very end of the song) is:

"Ganja? PUHlease! (please), You must have been out your mind"

as in...

so what if im using drugs? youve done far worse

and before any of you elitist dickheads have a go at me, my username is a joke.

i agree completely and have been meaning to post that, but i think it means something different. more like "you weren't just high, you were out of your mind."
Old 06-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #649
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDC_4_LYF!
couldnt be bothered reading everything, so if this has been brought up, ignore this:

whos gonna believe me on my first ever post? but i rekkons:

the ganja police line (very end of the song) is:

"Ganja? PUHlease! (please), You must have been out your mind"

as in...

so what if im using drugs? youve done far worse

and before any of you elitist dickheads have a go at me, my username is a joke.

i agree completely and have been meaning to post that, but i think it means something different. more like "you weren't just high, you were out of your mind."
OFFLINE |  
Zlerf's Avatar Zlerf
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike tyson

I agree with that, I cannot for the life of me hear savoir shady inference...it definatly sounds like two words vs. two
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #650
On Probation

Bincount™: 2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike tyson

I agree with that, I cannot for the life of me hear savoir shady inference...it definatly sounds like two words vs. two
OFFLINE |  
bored&numb's Avatar bored&numb
06-14-2006, 07:56 PM

I'm hearing :

you must have been out your head

now your weeping shades of chosen indigo

who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me

and ganja po-lice at the end there
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #651
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 33

I'm hearing :

you must have been out your head

now your weeping shades of chosen indigo

who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me

and ganja po-lice at the end there
06-14-2006, 08:21 PM

I've got a not-correct theory about 'weeping shades of indigo.' Since there's the Black Kettle reference (the Cheyenne chieftain, not the pot vs. the kettle black), followed by Lipan Conjuring, I think it's safe to say there's an American Indian slant to this song.

Coincidence that the etymology of 'indigo' is 'blue dye from India'? Probably. But there's something about it that evokes Native American sorrow, at least for me.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #652
Level 4 - Thinker

I've got a not-correct theory about 'weeping shades of indigo.' Since there's the Black Kettle reference (the Cheyenne chieftain, not the pot vs. the kettle black), followed by Lipan Conjuring, I think it's safe to say there's an American Indian slant to this song.

Coincidence that the etymology of 'indigo' is 'blue dye from India'? Probably. But there's something about it that evokes Native American sorrow, at least for me.
06-15-2006, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara

Couldn't said it better myself! I agree with everything.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 AM   #653
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Couldn't said it better myself! I agree with everything.
OFFLINE |  
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-15-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuulle
the weeping shades of indigo could be referred to the Blue (democrat) states as opposed to the Red (republican) states.
That's a strong possibility too! I like that interpretation.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #654

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuulle
the weeping shades of indigo could be referred to the Blue (democrat) states as opposed to the Red (republican) states.
That's a strong possibility too! I like that interpretation.
OFFLINE |  
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21
Very interesting thought; I see this song as a poke at Dubya and the state of our nation under Dubya; I can see that some people here are unwilling to accept this but that's probably part of the reason they've purposely kept it vague enough for other interpretations. They want to make a point but not come right out and alienate a good portion of their fan base, after all they are probably not averse to selling records and tickets to people from all sides of the fence. Plus why "date" the song. But the mirror line at 2:40 he just says, "mirror show me, what's the difference." Nothing's impossible but I doubt the line later becomes "mirror 4-year". If the purpose of using "mirror" is to refer to the 4-year terms rather than the "liar/lawyer" reflections, it should be there both times, shouldn't it?
It certainly could be there both times, but I'm not one to say it should be. Subtle changes in lyrics to broaden the scope of a song are something I think MJK is golden at. As for the "mirror 4-year", I think of it as referencing the controversy of the 2 elections Bush won. Hanging chads, over-seas votes, burying minority votes, blah, blah, blah, in addition to tasks he's accomplished during his terms that will always be met with contradiction (such is the job of the pres). But perhaps to put it more simply, "If you thought the first term was stinky, you're in for another!" As always, IMO.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21
Very interesting thought; I see this song as a poke at Dubya and the state of our nation under Dubya; I can see that some people here are unwilling to accept this but that's probably part of the reason they've purposely kept it vague enough for other interpretations. They want to make a point but not come right out and alienate a good portion of their fan base, after all they are probably not averse to selling records and tickets to people from all sides of the fence. Plus why "date" the song. But the mirror line at 2:40 he just says, "mirror show me, what's the difference." Nothing's impossible but I doubt the line later becomes "mirror 4-year". If the purpose of using "mirror" is to refer to the 4-year terms rather than the "liar/lawyer" reflections, it should be there both times, shouldn't it?
It certainly could be there both times, but I'm not one to say it should be. Subtle changes in lyrics to broaden the scope of a song are something I think MJK is golden at. As for the "mirror 4-year", I think of it as referencing the controversy of the 2 elections Bush won. Hanging chads, over-seas votes, burying minority votes, blah, blah, blah, in addition to tasks he's accomplished during his terms that will always be met with contradiction (such is the job of the pres). But perhaps to put it more simply, "If you thought the first term was stinky, you're in for another!" As always, IMO.
OFFLINE |  
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesper
However I doubt that anyone writing a 'protest song' (something I don't really associate with Tool anyways) would be saying "4-year, what's the difference"; that's the point of writing the protest song isn't it, the fact that it does make a difference?
That's the HOPE of a 'protest song'. Whether it does make a difference or not remains to be determined as FACT. And it seems that could be a very difficult aspect to measure...or credit. I'm not totally behind you in The Pot being put in the 'protest song' list, but I'd agree that I don't associate the genre with Tool. MJK does speak his mind though, and that will always put them in the controversial lyrics department. Anywho, I'm splitting the thoughts up as...

Liar/Lawyer - one comparison
Mirror 4-year - variation on previous lyrics, but still one thought on the repetition of the doings of the Bush Admin. for another term

What's the difference - between the Liar and Lawyer, between the 1st and 2nd election/term
Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesper
However I doubt that anyone writing a 'protest song' (something I don't really associate with Tool anyways) would be saying "4-year, what's the difference"; that's the point of writing the protest song isn't it, the fact that it does make a difference?
That's the HOPE of a 'protest song'. Whether it does make a difference or not remains to be determined as FACT. And it seems that could be a very difficult aspect to measure...or credit. I'm not totally behind you in The Pot being put in the 'protest song' list, but I'd agree that I don't associate the genre with Tool. MJK does speak his mind though, and that will always put them in the controversial lyrics department. Anywho, I'm splitting the thoughts up as...

Liar/Lawyer - one comparison
Mirror 4-year - variation on previous lyrics, but still one thought on the repetition of the doings of the Bush Admin. for another term

What's the difference - between the Liar and Lawyer, between the 1st and 2nd election/term
OFFLINE |  
claypool
06-15-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
u r gay
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #657
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
u r gay
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-15-2006, 12:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqzyU...e%20pot%20tool

Check this out. Pretty clearly sung.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #658
Level 8 - Vociferous

OFFLINE |  
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-15-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Yea but he repeats the first mirror part the second time.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 06-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #659
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
OFFLINE |  
Curious Yello
06-15-2006, 10:05 PM

Eye-ball deep in muddy water
patched up with lies?
You must......mind?[/QUOTE]

...Gunshop of lies...???
Old 06-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #660
Level 2 - Poster

patched up with lies?
You must......mind?[/QUOTE]

...Gunshop of lies...???
OFFLINE |  
visualtim's Avatar visualtim
06-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k~nug
You sir, are correct. From that link, there is no case of "mirror for you" in that particular live version.

Also, he said "Eyeballs" in the very very beginning of the song. Not "Eyehole" or, as some of you still think, "I hold."

I'll say it once again: it's pretty safe to say the live versions differ from the album versions and that's pretty significant here.

And... did anyone else catch what appeared to be a tire in the crowd?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #661
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by k~nug
You sir, are correct. From that link, there is no case of "mirror for you" in that particular live version.

Also, he said "Eyeballs" in the very very beginning of the song. Not "Eyehole" or, as some of you still think, "I hold."

I'll say it once again: it's pretty safe to say the live versions differ from the album versions and that's pretty significant here.

And... did anyone else catch what appeared to be a tire in the crowd?
06-17-2006, 02:04 PM

Well, Maynard sings that a bit wrong, not a problem if you've already spent a lot of energy on a show. But I still don't think he changes some of the rest of the lyrics. Why should he? You guys have to think realistic.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #662
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, Maynard sings that a bit wrong, not a problem if you've already spent a lot of energy on a show. But I still don't think he changes some of the rest of the lyrics. Why should he? You guys have to think realistic.
OFFLINE |  
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
06-18-2006, 10:51 AM

patched up with lies?
You must have been out your mind
Old 06-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #663
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

patched up with lies?
06-19-2006, 02:41 AM

I think it's "I hold", because in this bootleg he says "You hold" near the end of the song....wait, am I allowed to post links to bootlegs? Search YouTube for The Pot live at Download.

Edit: but the one at Coachella really sounds like "Eyeball". Bah

Last edited by Colonel Pants; 06-19-2006 at 02:43 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 AM   #664
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think it's "I hold", because in this bootleg he says "You hold" near the end of the song....wait, am I allowed to post links to bootlegs? Search YouTube for The Pot live at Download.

Edit: but the one at Coachella really sounds like "Eyeball". Bah

Last edited by Colonel Pants; 06-19-2006 at 02:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I see we're still stuck with condescending remarks from people who would like to think that they're smarter than you.

You are correct about the common phrasing, as far as north american english is concerned. If you stumbled over to the Jambi lyrics, people are suggesting "Dim my eyes" and "Jam bi eyes" when "Damn my eyes" is the common phrase. If you can tell me why he sings "hair" when he means "head" I'll give it to you. I've assumed that it's some kind of islander slang, as his accenting and phrasing is very unusal throughout this song.

As for your "official lyrics" argument; it's common knowledge that there are striking differences between the "official" lyrics and the "actual" lyrics.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #665
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I see we're still stuck with condescending remarks from people who would like to think that they're smarter than you.

You are correct about the common phrasing, as far as north american english is concerned. If you stumbled over to the Jambi lyrics, people are suggesting "Dim my eyes" and "Jam bi eyes" when "Damn my eyes" is the common phrase. If you can tell me why he sings "hair" when he means "head" I'll give it to you. I've assumed that it's some kind of islander slang, as his accenting and phrasing is very unusal throughout this song.

As for your "official lyrics" argument; it's common knowledge that there are striking differences between the "official" lyrics and the "actual" lyrics.
06-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Yet it still is out your head.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #666
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yet it still is out your head.
OFFLINE |  
06-19-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:

He doesn't he sings head, the d is drawn out and sounds like an 'r' though.

Are you arguing that he sings "dare" instead of dead?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #667
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

06-19-2006, 07:08 PM

After much listening I'm gonna stick with...

Who are you to wave your finger? Subordinant (instead of so full of it)
Eye balls deep in muddy waters
Your bones deep in muddy waters
Steal/Borrow, Reaper save your shady inference

Sing to your own tune people
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #668
Level 3 - Talker

After much listening I'm gonna stick with...

Who are you to wave your finger? Subordinant (instead of so full of it)
Eye balls deep in muddy waters
Your bones deep in muddy waters
Steal/Borrow, Reaper save your shady inference

Sing to your own tune people
OFFLINE |  
BlueStarEpiphany's Avatar BlueStarEpiphany
06-20-2006, 01:24 AM

i listened to just about every live video on there and i think hes saying eye hole and eye ball. basically the same meaning he probably just changes it up for fun. and to make threads like this more interesting.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 AM   #669
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i listened to just about every live video on there and i think hes saying eye hole and eye ball. basically the same meaning he probably just changes it up for fun. and to make threads like this more interesting.
06-20-2006, 01:30 AM

Who are you to wave your finger
You must of been out your head....... = thats it

Rock the grave to snow the cradle = this is what i believe
Then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cars and glass oh
Dont go tossing your stones around

Eyeballs deep in muddy waters = and yep......
Your Balls deep in muddy waters
God yah police
Old 06-20-2006, 01:30 AM   #670
Banned.

Bincount™: 322

God yah police
OFFLINE |  
06-20-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Electric Eye
"Must 'have'", not of, but yeah.

Quote:
Really? I definitely hear a 'b' in that first word.

Quote:
House of cards and glass, as in something flimsy that you've built around yourself which, should you throw stones whilst in it, will come toppling down around you.

In other words, you've built yourself a reputation that you're cleaner than clean, whiter than white, but if you start pointing the finger and accusing other people of doing wrong, this reputation will collapse because it's really just a facade, a lie and you are no better than those you point your finger at.

Quote:
God yah police
Could be either "I'm balls" or "eyeballs" as both make sense.

The argument for "I'm balls" comes from Intolerance where Maynard sings "I'm not innocent, you are not innocent, no-one is innocent.". Here he could be saying "Sure, I'm guilty, but damn it, so are you!"

Still no idea on the bit which you have as "God yah police", I still think it could be "Ganja police", dunno what that would mean though.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #671
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
"Must 'have'", not of, but yeah.

Quote:
Really? I definitely hear a 'b' in that first word.

Quote:
House of cards and glass, as in something flimsy that you've built around yourself which, should you throw stones whilst in it, will come toppling down around you.

In other words, you've built yourself a reputation that you're cleaner than clean, whiter than white, but if you start pointing the finger and accusing other people of doing wrong, this reputation will collapse because it's really just a facade, a lie and you are no better than those you point your finger at.

Quote:
God yah police
Could be either "I'm balls" or "eyeballs" as both make sense.

The argument for "I'm balls" comes from Intolerance where Maynard sings "I'm not innocent, you are not innocent, no-one is innocent.". Here he could be saying "Sure, I'm guilty, but damn it, so are you!"

Still no idea on the bit which you have as "God yah police", I still think it could be "Ganja police", dunno what that would mean though.
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Could it be that the second "eyeballs deep / you're balls deep / you're eyeballs deep / whatever" be like another person? Because he slightly changes his voice, I think.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #672
Level 8 - Vociferous

Could it be that the second "eyeballs deep / you're balls deep / you're eyeballs deep / whatever" be like another person? Because he slightly changes his voice, I think.
OFFLINE |  
Drawn Under's Avatar Drawn Under
06-20-2006, 06:17 PM

possibly mighty finger.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #673
Level 4 - Thinker

possibly mighty finger.
06-21-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn Under
possibly mighty finger.
That's been suggested many times before.

I'm pretty sure it's "fatty". yes I know there's an 'm' sounds and all that crap but singers often put other letters in front of words to help them vocalise the word properly.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #674
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn Under
possibly mighty finger.
That's been suggested many times before.

I'm pretty sure it's "fatty". yes I know there's an 'm' sounds and all that crap but singers often put other letters in front of words to help them vocalise the word properly.
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
How exactly do you draw out a D? Oh, and at the same time, have it go "rrrrr".

Quote:
I would much rather it be "head" but I insist that it's "hair". The term "be out your hair" is very common (as in, I'll get out of your hair) but to tell someone that they must be "out their hair" is odd, I agree. More odd than "Jam bi eyes"? Probably not. (No, I don't advocate "Jam bi eyes".)

Is it possible that he's not saying "You musta been out your hair/head", rather "You must want me out your hair"?

If it's simply a matter of poor vocal phrasing (for whatever islander effect Maynard is trying to relay) then I have the right and ability to just shake my head and wonder what happened to Maynard's strong signature phrasing.

Quote:
I believe it's obvious he's saying "dead". Would it not make sense for him to say "HEAD" with the same phrasing and pronounciation as "DEAD" or would that just be too easy?

Quote:
I find it funny that you use "common phrases" as an argument for "hair" vs "head", but then turn around and suggest a completely uncommon phrase (fatty finger) against a phrase (mighty finger) that is not only extremely common, but also extremely relevant to the tone of the song.

Last edited by Staticfactory; 06-21-2006 at 12:14 PM..
Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #675
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Quote:
I would much rather it be "head" but I insist that it's "hair". The term "be out your hair" is very common (as in, I'll get out of your hair) but to tell someone that they must be "out their hair" is odd, I agree. More odd than "Jam bi eyes"? Probably not. (No, I don't advocate "Jam bi eyes".)

Is it possible that he's not saying "You musta been out your hair/head", rather "You must want me out your hair"?

If it's simply a matter of poor vocal phrasing (for whatever islander effect Maynard is trying to relay) then I have the right and ability to just shake my head and wonder what happened to Maynard's strong signature phrasing.

Quote:
I believe it's obvious he's saying "dead". Would it not make sense for him to say "HEAD" with the same phrasing and pronounciation as "DEAD" or would that just be too easy?

Quote:
I find it funny that you use "common phrases" as an argument for "hair" vs "head", but then turn around and suggest a completely uncommon phrase (fatty finger) against a phrase (mighty finger) that is not only extremely common, but also extremely relevant to the tone of the song.

Last edited by Staticfactory; 06-21-2006 at 12:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
06-22-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
You do it exactly like Maynard's done it in the song, obviously.

Quote:

No, because there's a distinct "bin" sound after "Musta".

It's head man, seriously.

Quote:
Go ahead.

Quote:
It's his song, he can sing it how he likes.

Quote:
A person with 'fat fingers' is more likely to make a mistake when typing, missing the intended target of their chubby aim and instead mashing the keyboard like a gigantic sausage fencer. I think this could be a metaphor for this song:

"You're just throwing accusations around without being careful about who you're throwing them at."

Or it could just be an insult, calling the person doing the accusing fat.

Why does 'mighty fingers' make sense? Unless, all of a sudden the word 'mighty' means something other than 'powerful', then I'm missing what you're getting at because nowhere in this song is he saying the accuser is powerful.

I suppose he 'could' be using 'mighty' in an ironic way, but we'd have no way of knowing that and he doesn't sing it in an ironic way, so I'm sticking with 'fatty finger' which is far more common than 'mighty finger'. I've heard the phrase "fat fingers" often, whereas I've only heard the phrase "mighty finger" in reference to this song.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #676
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
You do it exactly like Maynard's done it in the song, obviously.

Quote:

No, because there's a distinct "bin" sound after "Musta".

It's head man, seriously.

Quote:
Go ahead.

Quote:
It's his song, he can sing it how he likes.

Quote:
A person with 'fat fingers' is more likely to make a mistake when typing, missing the intended target of their chubby aim and instead mashing the keyboard like a gigantic sausage fencer. I think this could be a metaphor for this song:

"You're just throwing accusations around without being careful about who you're throwing them at."

Or it could just be an insult, calling the person doing the accusing fat.

Why does 'mighty fingers' make sense? Unless, all of a sudden the word 'mighty' means something other than 'powerful', then I'm missing what you're getting at because nowhere in this song is he saying the accuser is powerful.

I suppose he 'could' be using 'mighty' in an ironic way, but we'd have no way of knowing that and he doesn't sing it in an ironic way, so I'm sticking with 'fatty finger' which is far more common than 'mighty finger'. I've heard the phrase "fat fingers" often, whereas I've only heard the phrase "mighty finger" in reference to this song.
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM

Whilst it still is "out your head".
Old 06-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #677
Level 8 - Vociferous

Whilst it still is "out your head".
OFFLINE |  
JadeRabbit
06-22-2006, 03:59 PM

"Liar, lawyer, mirror, foyer what's the difference" on the second round.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #678
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
][ncognito
06-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Though it sounds like hair if you slow it down, I'm pretty sure the only reason for that is because he trails off the note. You can hear it on "raised the dead" as well. You never hear the "d" in head either. It happens in a lot of other songs as well. Maynard seems to have do it often where he'll trail off a note without really annunciating the last syllable. If you listen to vicarious in "so it is so it's always been" he never really has much if any emphasis on the "n" in been.

Thus I say though it may sound otherwise, I'm pretty sure the lyric is "head"
Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 PM   #679
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Though it sounds like hair if you slow it down, I'm pretty sure the only reason for that is because he trails off the note. You can hear it on "raised the dead" as well. You never hear the "d" in head either. It happens in a lot of other songs as well. Maynard seems to have do it often where he'll trail off a note without really annunciating the last syllable. If you listen to vicarious in "so it is so it's always been" he never really has much if any emphasis on the "n" in been.

Thus I say though it may sound otherwise, I'm pretty sure the lyric is "head"
OFFLINE |  
06-23-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRabbit
What?

"Liar, lawyer, mirror, reception room, what's the difference?" ?????
Old 06-23-2006, 02:25 AM   #680
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRabbit
What?

"Liar, lawyer, mirror, reception room, what's the difference?" ?????

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply