opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 11-23-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26
Adam Jones... Genius or just a natural??

Ok I didn't know whether to put this in here or in videos or... whatever...

Adam Jones is one of the most brilliant/talented artists i've ever gotten to meet... (even though it was just a hand shake and an autograph) I'm a huge H.R. Giger fan... He's incredible as well... I still have a huge leaning towards Mr. Jones. He's original, and has one of the most innovative styles i've ever seen. Being a university student in animation, im still yet to see anyone produce such raw energy into their work... I would really love to see Adam's sketchbook from when he was in highschool... (If he had one)

Anyways something that i felt needed to be said, and I felt this was the best place.

Thanks
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:38 AM   #2
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
isn't genius the same as a natural?
Old 11-23-2002, 03:05 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by dan
isn't genius the same as a natural?
I don't think so, but I'd be inclined to say that Adam falls into both categories. Not ONLY is he an incredibly talented artist in the field of visuals, but, well, remember that band called Tool?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

let us not forget that most of the tool artwork and imagery prior to lateralus has been created by cam de leon of

http://www.happypencil.com

he's created for tool over the last 10 years and hasn't quite got the proper recognition by fans. from the wrench logo to the paintings and packaging of the aenima album to countless t-shrit designs and other stuff. this man is a true artist. as is chet zaar from screaming lobster.

chet's work can be seen on the latest tour visuals. all the cg animation was done by him and his crew from

http://www.screaminglobster.com

also much of the design of the videos for parabol/a, schism, aenima and stinkfist were contributed by cam and chet.

let's also not forget another artist who's use of water and nudes who's work was used for a picture disc off of aenima. i forget his first name, but his last is ramero.

adam's true artistic genius is seeing the talent in others and bringing it forward to a major medium such as album or poster art. also i cannot leave out alex grey who's visionary work can be seen at...

http://www.alexgrey.com and

http://www.sacredmirrors.com

go... see... experience these other artists. they are all naturally gifted.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:03 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

The tool connection

i think that tool have done a great job at creating an artistic style to match the art of their music. whether it be adam, cam, alex or the concert visuals, it is always intriging and original. i think they place great imortance on the artwork they use. each album has its different themes, while at the same time holding that underlying ''toolish' quality. with each release, i am always eager to see what they have come up with artwise, and am never dissapointed.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:44 PM   #6

Bincount™: 26
Your completely right roche... Alex Grey and Cam have done alot of the main artwork... i forgot to mention i was mainly talking about Adam Jones in the director chair.... but thats ok... cause you brought new light to this topic.... I have a tendancy to lean towards Cam, in artwork style its right 'there' you know?

i still believe adam is the most artistically talented person... or at least one of

Last edited by JeffElston; 11-24-2002 at 01:49 PM..
Old 11-25-2002, 04:21 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

cam is amazing. i wonder what goes on behind that furry lil head of his that brings out so much in his work. i completely agree with his art being "there". that's actually the most simple and best way i've seen it described. he's also a very inspired and inspiring person, as well as adam.

-d
Old 11-26-2002, 01:30 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10
I think all artists associated with tool have put an enormous amount of time into any art form they portray to us. Whether it is Maynard, Jones, Grey, or others; they all seem to be dedicated. A natural ability can only bring you so far, and after that requires a very strong work ethic and an extreme amount of practice.

Next thing they all have, which can conclude the genius statement, is creativity. And finally an open mind and soul to let there feelings and thoughts be translated properly to their respected medium.

Just my two cents.

Remember to smile, stay positive, a be creative.

-Bryan Meason
Old 11-29-2002, 07:10 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

ideas

i know cam and alex grey do some of the work but its adam who gives them the ideas of what the band wants , cause his not going to put a drawing or something that the band is not confortable with.i think adam prefers doing his stuff.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:39 AM   #10

As far as the vids are concerned... check out stuff by the Brothers Quay to see some of Adam's inspiration.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:46 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

the brothers quay are amazing.

i wouldn't want to say that tool ripped them off, but sober and prison sex (prison sex in particular) were pretty directly inspired by the brothers quay.

i am waiting for the brothers quay DVD collection on order, can't wait.

Last edited by Un Lapin; 11-29-2002 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-29-2002, 11:30 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10
Re: ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos T.
i know cam and alex grey do some of the work but its adam who gives them the ideas of what the band wants , cause his not going to put a drawing or something that the band is not confortable with.i think adam prefers doing his stuff.
I understand when you sya that about Cam, but alex grey's work as always been in that metaphysical side. To tell you the truth I don't think anyone had any influence into his work for Tool. I think they just asked him to listen to the album and contribute, they also probably just told the themes to him.

-Bryan Meason
Old 11-30-2002, 07:14 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Adam Jones, Genius Or Natural?

Ok, Adam is a natural genius (to me) when it comes to art. He is simply amazing with his work, very gifted at what he does. Yes, natural and genius are both the same (my opinion).

Maybe in the future Adam, can share his art work and ideas with his fans by starting a book or a website (specifically regarding his art).

Spiral
Old 12-01-2002, 10:07 AM   #14
(-)
Level 3 - Talker

Lateralus Webcast

Alex Grey actually was given instructions concerning the Lateralus artwork. During the webcast for Lateralus, Adam said that he had the idea of the liner notes being similar to the anatomy section of an encyclopedia. He told Alex the concept of what they were looking for, and Alex "ran with it", so to speak.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:49 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

by all means adam is a great artis director musician and makeup artist, a variable rennaissance man about the world, but alex grey and Cam DeLeon havent got enough credit and i think that adam thinks this as well, why else would the band keep posting news about the guys????

Ghost
Old 12-06-2002, 02:16 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Genius

As Maynard said in an interview once, "I think everybody has that genius seed in them for something."

~Iris
"Sticker this! Censor this! Ban this! We've got something to say! Release this! Condemn this! Damn this! We'll be heard anyway! MIDDLE FINGER IS THE FLAG THAT I WAVE WHEN I'M SILENCED!!!"-Mudvayne, Silenced
Old 12-07-2002, 12:43 AM   #17

Un Lapin:

I didn't say Adam ripped off the BQ... but it's obvious that there's some... borrowing going on. To say Adam is ripping them off because they look similar is to say A Perfect Circle is ripping Tool off because of Maynard and Billy.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:16 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

my post wasn't in response to yours, i was just adding a disclaimer for myself so that people wouldn't think i was accusing tool of ripping of BQ.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #19

ah. Sorry, my mistake. ;)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: