opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 03. The Patient
User Name
Password
Old 11-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2
truth

Does anyone read the bible? Jesus says for you to get into heaven you must be reborn. Maynard says in a quote at the beginning of this website that he reads some of the interpretations and people are way off. Their is only one way to understand what he is really talking about and that is to be particapating in the process of being reborn. The patient is talking about how draining the process is. The waiting for the next level. This process brings about pain then freedom. Evolution of the soul. The patient is talking about being patient, waiting on the higher power to take you to the next level of learning. The process isn't easy to understand and the higher power knows this so it gives your soul many lifetimes to evolve. Or if you figure it out you can choose to particapate. If you do then your soul is evolving at a much faster rate then someone who doesn't understand our purpose for being here. We are all supposed to be like JESUS and that is the road that Maynard is on. And that is what we are evolving to.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 927
Re: truth

Wow. I think this is probably the best thread I've seen. (I'm not being sarcastic.) I have desire to add something, but I'm not sure what...I'm not sure if I can! If I think of something, I could always just add it later.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylith
Wow. I think this is probably the best thread I've seen. (I'm not being sarcastic.) I have desire to add something, but I'm not sure what...I'm not sure if I can! If I think of something, I could always just add it later.

Well thank you for that. I like helping people. I think that their are so many people that are depressed and looking for their purpose on this earth. I like sharing what I learned myself.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:47 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

No disrespect intended, but I disagree. Where this band stands on the concept of a "supreme being" (religious, athiest, agnostic, etc.) is open for debate. But one thing should be crystal clear through Tool's music. They challenge you to questioning your beliefs. What about the quote Maynard loves so much? "Beliefs allow the mind to cease functioning. A non functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing". "We're suppose to be like Jesus" would be exactly the type of control or belief that Tool wants you to break away from, not encourage you to follow. In fact, I think the song is about breaking away from that whole mold, not conforming to it. Erase the programming the Matrix has subconsciously downloaded into your being. This process of severing ties with what you are "suppose" to do or be is tedious and taxing on your energy and being . So much so, that some times you feel like giving in or ending the struggle. But you must be patient and remember there is a reward for all this: Discovering a world most don't see, we may just go where no one's been.

If you're relying on religion or even your OWN interpretation of what Jesus is, how can you formulate a positive equation as to what that should be? It is merely your or their opinion. Until Jesus himself comes back and says from his own mouth "this is the way it's going down if you want to get in heaven", then shouldn't we all be questioning what it means to "be like Jesus", if we should even be like him at all? Should we not question if Jesus was even anything more than a philosopher?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeboy
No disrespect intended, but I disagree. Where this band stands on the concept of a "supreme being" (religious, athiest, agnostic, etc.) is open for debate. But one thing should be crystal clear through Tool's music. They challenge you to questioning your beliefs. What about the quote Maynard loves so much? "Beliefs allow the mind to cease functioning. A non functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing". "We're suppose to be like Jesus" would be exactly the type of control or belief that Tool wants you to break away from, not encourage you to follow. In fact, I think the song is about breaking away from that whole mold, not conforming to it. Erase the programming the Matrix has subconsciously downloaded into your being. This process of severing ties with what you are "suppose" to do or be is tedious and taxing on your energy and being . So much so, that some times you feel like giving in or ending the struggle. But you must be patient and remember there is a reward for all this: Discovering a world most don't see, we may just go where no one's been.

If you're relying on religion or even your OWN interpretation of what Jesus is, how can you formulate a positive equation as to what that should be? It is merely your or their opinion. Until Jesus himself comes back and says from his own mouth "this is the way it's going down if you want to get in heaven", then shouldn't we all be questioning what it means to "be like Jesus", if we should even be like him at all? Should we not question if Jesus was even anything more than a philosopher?

Well the first paragraph your saying the same thing I did but in different words. Sounds like you don't understand the difference between religion and spirituality. Or that there is a difference.
As far as where he stands on (supreme being ) I think I've been going through the process long enough to know where he stands based on things that he says and writes about.
As far as being like Jesus, Jesus said one day we will do greater things than him. That day is here and or coming depending on where you stand on your journey. Jesus also said for you to get into heaven you must be reborn. That is the journey that alot of people are starting to learn today. And if it makes you feel better, in my opinion, the journey that Maynard is on.
People seem to think that I'm a christian because of the way that I am. People call me a good christian. When they ask me I tell them that I don't believe in christiananity. to me its a religion. Spirituality is the power of personal freedom. Free from lust, greed, materialism and any other thing you can think of. Where the world has nothing to offer. You come to a place that some spiritual teachers call No-Mind. Your mind is clear, focused. On what? The present moment. As far as your concerned there isn't anything else going on. Your not thinking about what you don't have or what isn't your accepting what is. Then you move to a state of what is descibed as 46&2. there is an explaination of it on that song title.
Check out the web site zukav.com and you might get a better understanding of this.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

hyeboy, If you feel that your on this journey please share with me I would like to hear about some of your experiences.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:27 PM   #7
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeboy
...then shouldn't we all be questioning what it means to "be like Jesus"
Yes. Always question. And come to your own conlusions as to what you feel is right. Use your intuition.

I love a band called Slayer, though I disagree with most of their lyrics. There are a few songs here and there, and sometimes there is only a singular line from a song that I agree with. One such line is from the song "Disciple" where Tom screams, "I'll never be the one to blindly follow!"

I love that line because I believe that we should question our faith (not "throw our faith into question"). I think that's what God wants. If we simply blindly follow, we are fakers or zombies, or whatever...I highly doubt God would want that.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

alot of the times i think you guys go a little to far... yes we should all be individuals and yes we should question our beliefs! but you cant question everything... life is full of uncertainties.... look back at your chem book, hahahahaha (e mail me if you get my joke)....

anyway, don't worry about answering all the questions... its a waste of time!
Old 11-15-2003, 09:35 PM   #9
Banned.

g-bay-be....I think you've got a good point.

When I say "always question" it made it seem like I meant "question everyting," and in many ways it does. But what I think is better is if you "always question" as in, don't just accept everthing you hear/see as true. Do some thinking for yourself.

and like g-bay-be was saying..."you can't question everyting"..."don't worry about answering all the questions"...I would like to continue by saying that sometimes we need to just relax and enjoy life sometimes. (Hopefully a lot of the time!)
Old 11-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-bay-be
yes we should all be individuals and yes we should question our beliefs! but you cant question everything...anyway, don't worry about answering all the questions... its a waste of time!
It's not so much a matter of answering the questions as it is questioning the answers. My whole point of questioning is there ARE no concrete answers, only what you choose to see as "truth". Truth is an illusion, nothing is concrete. But people don't like that feeling, so throughout human history, we have tried to determine and establish "truths". I'm not worried about finding an answer so much as exploring the possibilities and breaking through the boundries created by the current "truths".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabreal2003
Sounds like you don't understand the difference between religion and spirituality. Or that there is a difference. As far as where he stands on (supreme being ) I think I've been going through the process long enough to know where he stands based on things that he says and writes about.
As far as being like Jesus, Jesus said one day we will do greater things than him. Spirituality is the power of personal freedom. Free from lust, greed, materialism and any other thing you can think of. Where the world has nothing to offer. You come to a place that some spiritual teachers call No-Mind. Your mind is clear, focused. On what? The present moment.
Again, this is not meant to be disrespectful, but it sounds like YOU don't understand the concept of spirituality. Being spiritual doesn't have to have anything to do with Jesus, God, or any supreme being for that matter. Believing in God makes you spiritual, but being spiritual doesn't necassarily mean you believe in a God. Just simply means you feel there is more out their than the tangibles that meet the eye.

You must also realize that the Bible was not written by Jesus, so the phrase "Jesus said" is being dishonest. It was written by man and translated many times over, each time having some meaning altered. I speak another language, so I know how difficult it is to translate some words and phrases from one tongue to another. That's what I meant when I said these are mere interpretations of what Jesus wanted from us, be it the interpretation of a religion, or even your OWN. Not to mention, as I said, we really don't have evidence that Jesus was anything more than another human being, if he even existed at all. If there were proof, then it would be taught as "truth" in history classes, it wouldn't be faith.

I realize what Maynard is singing strikes a cord with you, but that's only because the lyrics are made so vague, that everyone can fabricate the meaning to correspond with some personal connection in their life. Just as it's crystal clear to you that he's speaking of rebirth, there are plenty of other opinions about this song that make it sound crystal clear it is about something else entirely. And that's the whole point of Tool. If there was a cingular answer, there would be no point to this "opinions" forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabreal2003
hyeboy, If you feel that your on this journey please share with me I would like to hear about some of your experiences.
Yes, I am on a journey. However, it has nothing to do with reaching heaven. You shouldn't have to believe in God to reach this state of "No-Mind" you described. This state of "No-Mind" is what I often refer to as unplugging from the Matrix, or realizing what we crave, how we act, our wants and desires physically, emotionally, mentally, AND spiritually are systematically instilled in us just like a program. Rules and order to comfort us, much like the Timothy Leary blurb at Tool concerts. When did it start? It's been building up since the beginning of time, imprisoning minds since man was first born. A great line in the original movie was when Neo first came back to the Matrix, and in the car, he says "I have all these memories from my life, and none of them really happened. What does that mean"? Trinity responds with "that the Matrix cannot tell you who you are"! I fell in love with that movie right away because it put my views on life into a visual platform with perfect dialogue.

In any event, that's the point I'm at in our current existence. My spiritual journey consists of trying to decipher who I really am from what the Matrix would have me become.

Last edited by hyeboy; 11-16-2003 at 03:40 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: