Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
chaotic_confusion's Avatar chaotic_confusion
04-22-2006, 06:46 AM

i think i finally figured it out, Bill Hicks (yes, the one payed tribute to in the artwork for Ænima), well if any of you are bill hicks fans, like myself, then you'd remember that he stopped doing drugs sometime in '94, and he used to joke about it, saying his reason was that you can't get much higher than being taken aboard an alien spaceship, shown the secret to life, and whatnot. and the reason that the song is done in such a fucked up, yet humorous way, Bill Hicks was a comedian. this also explains why the song is so similar to third eye, be it that that was in tribute to Bill Hicks as well

what do you guys think?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
here's tom with the weather

i think i finally figured it out, Bill Hicks (yes, the one payed tribute to in the artwork for Ænima), well if any of you are bill hicks fans, like myself, then you'd remember that he stopped doing drugs sometime in '94, and he used to joke about it, saying his reason was that you can't get much higher than being taken aboard an alien spaceship, shown the secret to life, and whatnot. and the reason that the song is done in such a fucked up, yet humorous way, Bill Hicks was a comedian. this also explains why the song is so similar to third eye, be it that that was in tribute to Bill Hicks as well

what do you guys think?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
kaiowas_is's Avatar kaiowas_is
04-22-2006, 06:55 AM

nice interpretation, not for me though, i think third eye was it for Bill Hicks and Tool.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Re: here's tom with the weather

nice interpretation, not for me though, i think third eye was it for Bill Hicks and Tool.
aestheticguitar
04-22-2006, 06:57 AM

well, the song DOES talk about ET
Old 04-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

well, the song DOES talk about ET
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
12-22-2006, 09:17 AM

it's e-motherfucking-t
Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

it's e-motherfucking-t
01-13-2007, 05:44 AM

Adam Jones said in an interview that the song was about the irresponsible ways people use drugs to try to expand their minds.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Adam Jones said in an interview that the song was about the irresponsible ways people use drugs to try to expand their minds.
FromNothingICome
07-22-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +++++Darth+++++ View Post
Yeah. personally, I don't think there's a huge mystery to the song. I think that pretty much sums it.

(completely speculating) I don't think maynard is against the practice of using drugs to expand your consciousness. However, I don't think he approves of it being used recklessly, or as a vice. (For me) Third Eye was about what happens when this kind of thing is done properly, and this song is its opposite.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by +++++Darth+++++ View Post
Yeah. personally, I don't think there's a huge mystery to the song. I think that pretty much sums it.

(completely speculating) I don't think maynard is against the practice of using drugs to expand your consciousness. However, I don't think he approves of it being used recklessly, or as a vice. (For me) Third Eye was about what happens when this kind of thing is done properly, and this song is its opposite.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNothingICome View Post

Finally some other people who "get it"...I've been screaming this for a long time in one of these threads around here
Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNothingICome View Post

Finally some other people who "get it"...I've been screaming this for a long time in one of these threads around here
07-25-2007, 06:06 AM

I remember an interview where Maynard said something to the effect of: its ok to use certain drugs to open your eyes, but rather than using that drug again and again to get to that place, you could possibly spend the next 10 years of your life trying to get there without the drugs.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

I remember an interview where Maynard said something to the effect of: its ok to use certain drugs to open your eyes, but rather than using that drug again and again to get to that place, you could possibly spend the next 10 years of your life trying to get there without the drugs.
dancingflame
07-29-2007, 02:32 PM

good people...
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

good people...
Cheesegreater
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I agree with this line of thinking. Irresponsible drug use seems to be the theme of this song whereas Third Eye is about the good things you can take away from a trip.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I agree with this line of thinking. Irresponsible drug use seems to be the theme of this song whereas Third Eye is about the good things you can take away from a trip.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply