opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Vicarious
User Name
Password
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #81
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: Review the 'Vicarious' Official Music Video Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdigris View Post
A little too much with the eyes, I mean come on guys.
It's just saying that consciousness is everywhere and everything is conscious, I think, and that maybe we should respect that a little more. Makes pretty good sense to me. Maybe it really just needs to be that literal at this point... again, which seems to directly line up with the message of the song.

"Pull your head on out, shouldn't have to say it all again"

It's a great video...

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 12-29-2007 at 10:02 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by art View Post
Actually i think this video means nothing. There are definitely concepts imbued within, though i would say these concepts are directly outsourced from Grey's philosophy, not necessarily pertinent to the video. In an interview i once heard Jones say his video's mean nothing and are 'basic surrealism'. It's what this video is. You can easily see the homage/influence to/from Giger and Dali. Jones just does what he likes. Teeth. Breaking things. Weird little worms (he draws those). There's a loose narrative. It's something like - worm things come out of guys eyes and go back inside his eyes. A guy is tripping out like maybe he's on DMT. Ultimately this video is a display of experiments in Computer Graphics. It definitely feels unfinished and doesn't have the weight previous videos have carried. Even the floating camera point never leaves the protagonists right side. It's poorly directed. Personally, i think they ran out of money.
I like this one ^, and though I don't completely agree with you... you are definitely on the money to a high degree. That last "man exploding out of his body" is loose, almost just pure wire frame... almost like the textures didn't get put on or something... just like they ran out of time and money. The potential for the most amazing music video ever was there but as it stands... The Parabola end sequence is much more cohesive, powerful and much better to me.

I do think Brandy and Mandy are like toxic sperms though, and there is a brain fertilizing/decaying metaphor there along with the in-utero fetus skull. It was/is indeed just a big, fun, artistic experiment.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #83
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 763

this video makes a lot of since on acid
Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #84
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

yeh dood asid maykes evrything mayke since, i no the meening 2 lief now!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 763

^kinda what the video is about
Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I hate this video. Year & half in the making for this? They should leave alex grey out of this kind of videos i mean, it was cool with the lateralus theme but vicarious is just like a song from eMotive (or whatever is called that apc cd), nothing to do with grey's art. I think it's a forced view of the song to make him direct the video.

It's my least favorite, i even like hush better than this one. I hope next vid is just stop motion like always.

I have everything tool has released, twice. I even got 10k days before lots of people and i don't mean by D/L it (i did as well) but before coachella some guy at the record store told us he could sell them before release date. But this dvd, Thank god for youtube, i saw it there first, and since it's a piece of crap, i won't buy it. It's the first thing i'll miss, and maybe not the last one if they continue to release stuff like this one.

I know 90% here like it and this is just my opinion, for ME it's a pile of shit, i don't care about the packaging if the product itself isn't worth shit for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #87
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Location: Montucky, where men are men, sheep are nervous, women are scarce.
Bincount™: 57

You people amaze me.. Do you have any Idea what it takes to make a movie.. I don't think soo.. Cuz if you did you would know the time involved.. And i can telll you it takes a shit load of research gathering pictures, making sketches ( storyboords), after affects, and rendering the movie takes a lot of fuckin time, effort and hours of editing... Havin said that The video of Vicarious was awesome spectral of Images, and the thought goes into it. I was blow awau with CGI and after effects.. The vido itself is a bit cryptic with ( spectors) not worms: Brandy and Mandy. Also thought the audio part of the interview was lacking with the video not being previewed before to at least rehearse what to say ..rather than off the cuff but that's just me. So i say to all you pple who think its shit . Make yer own movie and see what it takes...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #88
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

he's wrapped in the blur, the fuzz, the flicker, the incandescent comforting glow of television.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #89
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
he's wrapped in the blur, the fuzz, the flicker, the incandescent comforting glow of television.
yes! thats really amazing...thinking of the song meaning: inside tv? tv inside you? you inside tv? in front of the screen- behind the screen? it can drive you insane :):):):)
big big big ups for the video...and it works with more than just one song just as any visual- so to you people who dislike the sound : go and switch on a different soundsource and experiment with what happens...blah!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #90
Level 4 - Thinker

Loved the video.

Loved the 3D Net of being.

Loved that the CGI was intentionally not perfect.

Love that you have to watch it a lot to get the messages.

Great work, to many nit pickers that will find something wrong with everything.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #91
Level 7 - Loquacious

ever looked in the mirror looking in the black of your pupils seeing to little faces staring back at you?!?!?!? one able to pay closer attention than the other...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #92
Level 4 - Thinker

hmm im disturbed by all this comments, many people seem not to like the video very much some people do like it. But what's the point? You're not tool, what they do is trying to become thereselfs (enlightment) not what anyone else wants. And its clear the moved away from the whole undertow/aenima stuff a lang time ago. The only thing they should do is try to do whats most truthfull for themeselves, and if alex grey is a part of that thats there choise. The only thing we as outsiders can enjoy about it without being hypocritical is just absorb it and try to understand the meaning of it, the message that they are sending.
Tool embraces oneness and what i see here is dualism
Old 02-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #93
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I just posted a new thread on this suggestion, but i'll copy and paste here in case people won't look at the seperate thread...
"OK, the forum is being a little weird so hopefully this comes through legibley.

Anyway, in the DVD, I believe it was Adam that says "The video was made to stand on its own without music." I can understand why he says this and he even comments to say that Vicarious doesnt even sync up most of the time, as far as the typical "change of beat equals change of video frame" etc.

However, I REALLY like the video when it's put to Lateralus, the song. I thought the video was so-so with Vicarious but I have a feeling that they coupled it with Vicarious due to the fact that it would be a little odd to release a video for a song off their previous album.

Lateralus is a little longer than the video so if you start the song first and wait til about 20 seconds (if i recall) there is a great sync up to the video. Lots of very cool parts in regards to the lyrics and visuals. Also, when the dude is inside of the Alex rey rendering, the music is really heavy.

Very cool stuff, you should check it out."

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: