Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
06-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect
You're also absolutely right here. A song isn't subjective. At all. Opinions are, however, *all* subjective. Objects aren't subjective. Otherwise they wouldn't be objects. A song is an object that causes a subjective experience.

Experiences are subjective. The man had intention when he wrote the song, therefore, the meaning isn't subjective. You may not know it, so you deem it as subjective. It doesn't mean it's subjective.

All opinions are not subjective. Some are right. Did Einstein have any ideas that were ever proven to be true?

It doesn't even have to be complex.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-15-2006 at 09:15 PM..
Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #201
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Quote:
You're also absolutely right here. A song isn't subjective. At all. Opinions are, however, *all* subjective. Objects aren't subjective. Otherwise they wouldn't be objects. A song is an object that causes a subjective experience.

Experiences are subjective. The man had intention when he wrote the song, therefore, the meaning isn't subjective. You may not know it, so you deem it as subjective. It doesn't mean it's subjective.

All opinions are not subjective. Some are right. Did Einstein have any ideas that were ever proven to be true?

It doesn't even have to be complex.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-15-2006 at 09:15 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
06-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Well, when an opinion is 'right' then it is no longer an opinion. It becomes a fact.

And maybe we're just not on the same page as to what exactly 'subjective' means.

sub·jec·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sb-jktv)
adj.

Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.

Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.

Moodily introspective.

Existing only in the mind; illusory.

Psychology: Existing only within the experiencer's mind.

Medicine: Of, relating to, or designating a symptom or condition perceived by the patient and not by the examiner.

Expressing or bringing into prominence the individuality of the artist or author.

Now let's look at 'opinion'

o·pin·ion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pnyn)
n.
A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing:

Now, my subjective opinion of the above two definitions leads me to believe that *all* opinions are subjective. Whether they are 'right' or 'wrong'. Otherwise, as said above, they would be "objective fact".

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #202
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Well, when an opinion is 'right' then it is no longer an opinion. It becomes a fact.

And maybe we're just not on the same page as to what exactly 'subjective' means.

sub·jec·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sb-jktv)
adj.

Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.

Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.

Moodily introspective.

Existing only in the mind; illusory.

Psychology: Existing only within the experiencer's mind.

Medicine: Of, relating to, or designating a symptom or condition perceived by the patient and not by the examiner.

Expressing or bringing into prominence the individuality of the artist or author.

Now let's look at 'opinion'

o·pin·ion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pnyn)
n.
A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing:

Now, my subjective opinion of the above two definitions leads me to believe that *all* opinions are subjective. Whether they are 'right' or 'wrong'. Otherwise, as said above, they would be "objective fact".

06-15-2006, 09:50 PM

you mosh?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #203
On Probation

you mosh?
06-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Not since Pantera about ten years ago. That would be the only time and it was for one song. Not really my way of getting into the music...

Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #204
Level 8 - Vociferous

Not since Pantera about ten years ago. That would be the only time and it was for one song. Not really my way of getting into the music...

06-15-2006, 10:18 PM

Yes, I know... your way is DMT.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #205
On Probation

NawnimNonNomen's Avatar NawnimNonNomen
06-15-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
I'm not great with algebra.

Let me ask you, are some students smarter than others? Or are all perspectives and opinions equally valid? Some opinions deserve more respect than others.

I do believe there is 1 intended meaning by Maynard.

There's motivation and reasoning behind the things we do. Would you sit down and write a song about... nothing? What do you do in your life where "nothing" is your ultimate goal? Probably not much. You think Maynard would write a song vaguely and scrabbled enough that it means everything, and yet absolutely nothing to everybody... merely to placate people who think he writes without intention and intension?

The man has arrogance, the man has conviction, the man is brilliant. I promise you he's not going to write a song without a hopeful outcome. Can you miss the meaning, and still reach a positive outcome? Probably. (unless you're one of the people who mosh at the show)

If multiple opinions other than mine don't deduce a damn thing they're not meaningful to me.

Sure, different opinions or "meanings" than mine are fine if they mean something to a particular person. I just think they're misinterpreting the song. But if their take makes them happy... then fine, whatever. No harm no foul. But I believe there is 1 meaning, and one right way to analyze and absorb the song in your mind.

When Maynard sings the songs, he sings it with the same passion that drove him to write it in the first place..
When Maynard sings the songs, he sings it with the same passion that drove him to write it in the first place..

He knows what he's singing about. The song isn't an abstract painting. It's not really as subjective as nearly everyone wants it to be.

You think I have a valid beginning to an interpretation... I don't think there's more to it than what I've said. . or what he says in the song's climax. I think he mentions the drugs and aliens for a couple of reasons. He really does want to shed some light on those couple of things.. and secondly, it's good cover for what he's really saying.

The follow up track only supports what I'm saying. (if it has a connection) Intension is synonomous with intensity. So some guy is arrogant, brilliant, caring, and intense.... but he's going to write songs without a real meaning. k
Are some students smarter than others? Sure, even taking into account different intelligence types, there are always superior students in a class. Of course, there are students with intelligences better suited to the subjects I happen to teach, and then there are the socially maladroit, physically clumsy specimens who don't do well in any subject--those folks whom I label "sharp as a doorknob" if they're lazy and indifferent and "underprepared" if they're willing to bust ass after realizing they're just not getting it. There are also extremely bright students who are lazy and indifferent (or whose parents and former teachers have apparently praised them into solipsism) and never manage to get it: I call them "Mensa morons."

Are all their opinions equally valid? Of course they're not. But I will note that the invalid opinions come from the Mensa morons just as frequently (if not more often) as from the underprepared students. (The sharp as a doorknob folks rarely form opinions beyond "Uh-own-oh.") Opinions are rendered invalid if they're purely personal, emotional reactions with no connection to stimuli; for instance, if someone were to say, "This song is about my brother, who's dying from cancer," a red flag should go up. If you ask this person what in the song tells him it is about his brother and he replies, "I think about my brother when I hear it," then you've got an opinion that's (yeah, nice enough for him) essentially invalid. (It's like saying, "French food is bad cooking because I'm allergic to milk.")

In the case of this particular song, I'd say the drug-trip and alien interpretations are certainly valid; there's definitely material in the song itself to draw the conclusion that such subjects are what the song is about.

Now, to go through the looking glass into chapter 8 and the "is about/means" topic. No, this song isn't an abstract painting, but it could be just the equivalent of a representational painting. It could just be Tool, for example, working to depict a bad trip (which they do damn well in Rosetta) and nothing more. "The bear is just a bear"; "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Stopping here is perfectly valid, and as a formalist interpretation, this works well; even attaching cautionary or moral purposes to the representation can be valid, if the people doing the interpreting are pointing to something specific in the song. Such attachments only become invalid if they're based on inadequate or incorrect information about the rationale or on blatant anachronism. (So it's valid to say the song depicts a bad trip in a cautionary manner, but not to say it's warning you about ending up like asshole A, who overdosed May 18th, 2006.)

Do I think Maynard would write a song vaguely and scrabbled enough that it means everything? (I think the above already answers the "nothing" part of the question.) Warning: Here, we're starting to get into a fuzzy place between what I'm getting from the song and other possibilities, so some cognitive dissonance is likely to occur. No, I don't: in fact, I don't think Maynard writes vaguely at all; I do think he often writes ambiguously. (By ambiguously, I mean with words/phrases allowing of two or more takes, as with the word intension: meaning "intense" or
meaning "connotation" or referring specifically to logic-referents or possibly "in tension," as suggested by blanket.)

This could be an attempt to be cryptic (hidden codes and meanings), but I don't think this is necessarily the case for two reasons: 1) the social attitudes that used to force folks to do this are largely absent; 2) I don't think he's enough of an ignoramus to unnecessarily and intentionally speak in nearly indecipherable codes and then feel frustrated that almost no one gets what he's saying.

Rather, I think he uses ambiguous language for two reasons: 1) sometimes he has only a vague sense of what he wants to say; 2) sometimes he's sending a message about ambiguity and intensionality themselves, so what other sort of language do you choose? So I think it's possible to come up with a (finite yet uncountable) number of perfectly valid interpretations without missing Maynard's message. I wouldn't say there were millions, but I don't think there has to be one even in terms of Maynard's intent.

Sorry for the thesis, but you did give me a lot to respond to. (And I can't stand the people who only respond to the weakest sentence in a post.)
"There were all kinds of things I was afraid of at first, ranging from grizzly bears to 'mean' horses and gun-fighters; but by acting as if I was not afraid I gradually ceased to be afraid." --Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #206
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
I'm not great with algebra.

Let me ask you, are some students smarter than others? Or are all perspectives and opinions equally valid? Some opinions deserve more respect than others.

I do believe there is 1 intended meaning by Maynard.

There's motivation and reasoning behind the things we do. Would you sit down and write a song about... nothing? What do you do in your life where "nothing" is your ultimate goal? Probably not much. You think Maynard would write a song vaguely and scrabbled enough that it means everything, and yet absolutely nothing to everybody... merely to placate people who think he writes without intention and intension?

The man has arrogance, the man has conviction, the man is brilliant. I promise you he's not going to write a song without a hopeful outcome. Can you miss the meaning, and still reach a positive outcome? Probably. (unless you're one of the people who mosh at the show)

If multiple opinions other than mine don't deduce a damn thing they're not meaningful to me.

Sure, different opinions or "meanings" than mine are fine if they mean something to a particular person. I just think they're misinterpreting the song. But if their take makes them happy... then fine, whatever. No harm no foul. But I believe there is 1 meaning, and one right way to analyze and absorb the song in your mind.

He knows what he's singing about. The song isn't an abstract painting. It's not really as subjective as nearly everyone wants it to be.

You think I have a valid beginning to an interpretation... I don't think there's more to it than what I've said. . or what he says in the song's climax. I think he mentions the drugs and aliens for a couple of reasons. He really does want to shed some light on those couple of things.. and secondly, it's good cover for what he's really saying.

The follow up track only supports what I'm saying. (if it has a connection) Intension is synonomous with intensity. So some guy is arrogant, brilliant, caring, and intense.... but he's going to write songs without a real meaning. k
Are some students smarter than others? Sure, even taking into account different intelligence types, there are always superior students in a class. Of course, there are students with intelligences better suited to the subjects I happen to teach, and then there are the socially maladroit, physically clumsy specimens who don't do well in any subject--those folks whom I label "sharp as a doorknob" if they're lazy and indifferent and "underprepared" if they're willing to bust ass after realizing they're just not getting it. There are also extremely bright students who are lazy and indifferent (or whose parents and former teachers have apparently praised them into solipsism) and never manage to get it: I call them "Mensa morons."

Are all their opinions equally valid? Of course they're not. But I will note that the invalid opinions come from the Mensa morons just as frequently (if not more often) as from the underprepared students. (The sharp as a doorknob folks rarely form opinions beyond "Uh-own-oh.") Opinions are rendered invalid if they're purely personal, emotional reactions with no connection to stimuli; for instance, if someone were to say, "This song is about my brother, who's dying from cancer," a red flag should go up. If you ask this person what in the song tells him it is about his brother and he replies, "I think about my brother when I hear it," then you've got an opinion that's (yeah, nice enough for him) essentially invalid. (It's like saying, "French food is bad cooking because I'm allergic to milk.")

In the case of this particular song, I'd say the drug-trip and alien interpretations are certainly valid; there's definitely material in the song itself to draw the conclusion that such subjects are what the song is about.

Now, to go through the looking glass into chapter 8 and the "is about/means" topic. No, this song isn't an abstract painting, but it could be just the equivalent of a representational painting. It could just be Tool, for example, working to depict a bad trip (which they do damn well in Rosetta) and nothing more. "The bear is just a bear"; "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Stopping here is perfectly valid, and as a formalist interpretation, this works well; even attaching cautionary or moral purposes to the representation can be valid, if the people doing the interpreting are pointing to something specific in the song. Such attachments only become invalid if they're based on inadequate or incorrect information about the rationale or on blatant anachronism. (So it's valid to say the song depicts a bad trip in a cautionary manner, but not to say it's warning you about ending up like asshole A, who overdosed May 18th, 2006.)

Do I think Maynard would write a song vaguely and scrabbled enough that it means everything? (I think the above already answers the "nothing" part of the question.) Warning: Here, we're starting to get into a fuzzy place between what I'm getting from the song and other possibilities, so some cognitive dissonance is likely to occur. No, I don't: in fact, I don't think Maynard writes vaguely at all; I do think he often writes ambiguously. (By ambiguously, I mean with words/phrases allowing of two or more takes, as with the word intension: meaning "intense" or
meaning "connotation" or referring specifically to logic-referents or possibly "in tension," as suggested by blanket.)

This could be an attempt to be cryptic (hidden codes and meanings), but I don't think this is necessarily the case for two reasons: 1) the social attitudes that used to force folks to do this are largely absent; 2) I don't think he's enough of an ignoramus to unnecessarily and intentionally speak in nearly indecipherable codes and then feel frustrated that almost no one gets what he's saying.

Rather, I think he uses ambiguous language for two reasons: 1) sometimes he has only a vague sense of what he wants to say; 2) sometimes he's sending a message about ambiguity and intensionality themselves, so what other sort of language do you choose? So I think it's possible to come up with a (finite yet uncountable) number of perfectly valid interpretations without missing Maynard's message. I wouldn't say there were millions, but I don't think there has to be one even in terms of Maynard's intent.

Sorry for the thesis, but you did give me a lot to respond to. (And I can't stand the people who only respond to the weakest sentence in a post.)
"There were all kinds of things I was afraid of at first, ranging from grizzly bears to 'mean' horses and gun-fighters; but by acting as if I was not afraid I gradually ceased to be afraid." --Theodore Roosevelt
Artistic Sickness's Avatar Artistic Sickness
06-16-2006, 02:10 AM

i decided to not comment in this thread a while ago *erhem* but i HAD to to say that the above is delicious. You make me feel dumb.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:10 AM   #207
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i decided to not comment in this thread a while ago *erhem* but i HAD to to say that the above is delicious. You make me feel dumb.
06-16-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotal digit
I think both are right. All is right , and who cares what Maynard means ? It's about what "You" think

The same could be said of Stinkfist
Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 AM   #208
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotal digit
I think both are right. All is right , and who cares what Maynard means ? It's about what "You" think

The same could be said of Stinkfist
06-16-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Whatever gets you where you're going.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:12 AM   #209
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Whatever gets you where you're going.

Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Dear Three Deviations,
Please stop endulging yourself into art if you are going to be anal about it.

On behalf of everyone at this forum,
Aunt Acid
Old 06-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #210
Level 7 - Loquacious

Dear Three Deviations,

Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
Dear Three Deviations,

Aunt Acid
Dear Aunt Acid
Please stop indulging yourself in drugs.

On behalf of your mind and body..
ThreeDeviations
Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #211
On Probation

Quote:
Dear Three Deviations,

Aunt Acid
Dear Aunt Acid

ThreeDeviations
06-16-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Dear Aunt Acid

ThreeDeviations
You don't even know if I do drugs.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #212
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Dear Aunt Acid

ThreeDeviations
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I know.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #213
On Probation

Quote:

I know.
06-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I know.
No... you don't. Because my forum name here is Aunt Acid and I have a psychadelic looking avatar does not mean I do drugs.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #214
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I know.
No... you don't. Because my forum name here is Aunt Acid and I have a psychadelic looking avatar does not mean I do drugs.
06-16-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Just stop... it's kinda like beating your head against a brick wall... the wall doesn't care and your head hurts. (if I haven't read that somewhere before I just coined it, yay maybe!)

Old 06-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #215
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Just stop... it's kinda like beating your head against a brick wall... the wall doesn't care and your head hurts. (if I haven't read that somewhere before I just coined it, yay maybe!)

06-16-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Brilliant.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #216
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Brilliant.
06-17-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I know.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #217
On Probation

Quote:

I know.
06-17-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I know.
What part of Michigan are you from? I live in Taylor, about 20 miles from Detroit.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #218
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I know.
What part of Michigan are you from? I live in Taylor, about 20 miles from Detroit.
06-17-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Novi
Old 06-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #219
On Probation

Quote:
Novi
researchtriangle's Avatar researchtriangle
06-18-2006, 07:35 AM

enough intellectual posturing and posting definitions from dictionary.com...hellooooo... chosen people? message for those who wish to hear it and a warning for those who don't? isn't anyone familiar with the modern ufo phenomenon?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #220
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 73

enough intellectual posturing and posting definitions from dictionary.com...hellooooo... chosen people? message for those who wish to hear it and a warning for those who don't? isn't anyone familiar with the modern ufo phenomenon?
bhaphmet777
06-22-2006, 06:54 AM

Has it ever accurred to anyone that tool as a whole are deeply involved in magik. A mind thus trained to THE WORK. Perhaps what you are hearing is not what you hear. blessings.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #221
Level 1 - Lurker

Has it ever accurred to anyone that tool as a whole are deeply involved in magik. A mind thus trained to THE WORK. Perhaps what you are hearing is not what you hear. blessings.
talibad's Avatar talibad
06-22-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Rosetta Stoned, Blame "Dr." Hoffman... it doesn't mean the actual meaning of the song is about drugs or LSD.

Stinkfist is not about sexual fisting.. but it's written through that metaphor.
4 degrees isn't about anal sex... but it's written through that perspective.
Prison Sex isn't about having sex in prison.

The song is written to shed some light on a few different things... area 51, alien abduction, its ramifications on people afterward.. side effects.. how others perceive people who say they've been abducted... etc.

Obviously there are drug references too... so when you say "I don't believe the message is that psychedelics are entirely a bad thing, just that dependance on them and them alone for enlightenment is futile" that sounds about right.

Just like the alien abduction though, it's NOT what the real meaning is about.

The climax of the song is when he sings..

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see"

It's no coincidence those are the words that are being sung during the climax.
All the other lyrics and references are entirely secondary to this part...
you can hear and feel it when you listen to the song..

This song's climax and actual message are very similar to Stinkfist... "something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything... what became of subtlety."

Both messages are clear and to the point.. no tricky wording.. no metaphors.. no bullshit.

Don't think the man is "egotistical enough?"

"I must crucify the ego..."
"silly monkeys"
"fuck you buddy, send more money."
"I should play GOD"
"feeding my narcissism"

The man has plenty of ego... and justifiably so. It's not farfetched at all to assume he's writing as if he's the "chosen one."

His ego, frustration and callused nature only strengthens when people continue to entirely miss the point in terms of what he's explaining or saying to people.

i will add that maynard also stated this is their "Blues Album" a manifestation of how they the band and he himself are extremely frustrated trying to preach enlightenment and people just not giveing a fuck. maby this song is that emotion personified as you said. as well tho tool songs are multi layered so it could be both that as well as the problem alot of hallucinogenic users have upon return with communication. you take a trip, your bombarded with info, and upon return you have to try and sort it out. its probly both to be honest
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #222
Banned.

Location: 41 degrees 23'57"42" N by 75 degrees 42'38.51" W elevation 822
Bincount™: 93

Quote:
Rosetta Stoned, Blame "Dr." Hoffman... it doesn't mean the actual meaning of the song is about drugs or LSD.

Stinkfist is not about sexual fisting.. but it's written through that metaphor.
4 degrees isn't about anal sex... but it's written through that perspective.
Prison Sex isn't about having sex in prison.

The song is written to shed some light on a few different things... area 51, alien abduction, its ramifications on people afterward.. side effects.. how others perceive people who say they've been abducted... etc.

Obviously there are drug references too... so when you say "I don't believe the message is that psychedelics are entirely a bad thing, just that dependance on them and them alone for enlightenment is futile" that sounds about right.

Just like the alien abduction though, it's NOT what the real meaning is about.

The climax of the song is when he sings..

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see"

It's no coincidence those are the words that are being sung during the climax.
All the other lyrics and references are entirely secondary to this part...
you can hear and feel it when you listen to the song..

This song's climax and actual message are very similar to Stinkfist... "something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything... what became of subtlety."

Both messages are clear and to the point.. no tricky wording.. no metaphors.. no bullshit.

Don't think the man is "egotistical enough?"

"I must crucify the ego..."
"silly monkeys"
"fuck you buddy, send more money."
"I should play GOD"
"feeding my narcissism"

The man has plenty of ego... and justifiably so. It's not farfetched at all to assume he's writing as if he's the "chosen one."

His ego, frustration and callused nature only strengthens when people continue to entirely miss the point in terms of what he's explaining or saying to people.

i will add that maynard also stated this is their "Blues Album" a manifestation of how they the band and he himself are extremely frustrated trying to preach enlightenment and people just not giveing a fuck. maby this song is that emotion personified as you said. as well tho tool songs are multi layered so it could be both that as well as the problem alot of hallucinogenic users have upon return with communication. you take a trip, your bombarded with info, and upon return you have to try and sort it out. its probly both to be honest
jesus_harvey_oswald
06-23-2006, 03:46 PM

This is clear proof that people are totally useless. It goes to show how sad and lonely peole are that need to dedicate thier lives to deseminating and disecting every word that Maynard says. I'm a huge fan of the band but I don't let it control my every waking moment. Maynard is just a bisexual ex-junky from L.A. , he's not the fucking messiah. "he sniffled at the 8:23 mark of Third Eye, he's telling us that society is making us sick" ....... are you people for real ?? I'm not trying to insult everyone because I'm a fan also, but this is fucking rediculous........... I hope you guys enjoy the Kool-Aid and make sure you all have a few rolls of quarters with you before you get into bed with your Nikes on.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #223
Level 2 - Poster

This is clear proof that people are totally useless. It goes to show how sad and lonely peole are that need to dedicate thier lives to deseminating and disecting every word that Maynard says. I'm a huge fan of the band but I don't let it control my every waking moment. Maynard is just a bisexual ex-junky from L.A. , he's not the fucking messiah. "he sniffled at the 8:23 mark of Third Eye, he's telling us that society is making us sick" ....... are you people for real ?? I'm not trying to insult everyone because I'm a fan also, but this is fucking rediculous........... I hope you guys enjoy the Kool-Aid and make sure you all have a few rolls of quarters with you before you get into bed with your Nikes on.
Artistic Sickness's Avatar Artistic Sickness
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_harvey_oswald
he's not the fucking messiah..
W H A T ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !
Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #224
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
he's not the fucking messiah..
W H A T ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !
06-23-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
my writing-english is very bad, so i leave it to ThreeDeviations to react to stuff like the above...
after reading a lot of ThreeDeviations' comments i think i can safely say that he can speak for me aswell !!
&
ThreeDeviations bigtime thumbs up for you!!
i share your thoughts all the way
( it is just that englisch is not my first language, and that makes it very difficult for me to write down my thoughts here...)

grtz,
Myrdin
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #225
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
my writing-english is very bad, so i leave it to ThreeDeviations to react to stuff like the above...
after reading a lot of ThreeDeviations' comments i think i can safely say that he can speak for me aswell !!
&
ThreeDeviations bigtime thumbs up for you!!
i share your thoughts all the way
( it is just that englisch is not my first language, and that makes it very difficult for me to write down my thoughts here...)

grtz,
Myrdin
Magos
06-23-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip

then again... he's probably just found an intricate new metaphor for anal sex.

lol, would not be surprised if you were right
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #226
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip

then again... he's probably just found an intricate new metaphor for anal sex.

lol, would not be surprised if you were right
06-23-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:

I dig what youre sayn, MJK quote "for those who understand, no explaination is necessary, for those who dont no explaination will suffice" (or something close), no matter what the song means it will never be good enough for some people, they just keep digging. This is not always a bad thing but isnt that what lateralus is all about, you cant always analyse life, sometimes you just have to live it.

p.s does this remind anyone else of the bible, people arguing over what it really means, in which case I would have to say MJK is the fucking messiah.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #227
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

I dig what youre sayn, MJK quote "for those who understand, no explaination is necessary, for those who dont no explaination will suffice" (or something close), no matter what the song means it will never be good enough for some people, they just keep digging. This is not always a bad thing but isnt that what lateralus is all about, you cant always analyse life, sometimes you just have to live it.

p.s does this remind anyone else of the bible, people arguing over what it really means, in which case I would have to say MJK is the fucking messiah.
06-23-2006, 09:44 PM

MJK is just a messenger. A tool, aptly enough. Maybe not as many people 'get it' as could. So what? If he brings a handful into the light or even just opens their eyes to the possibility then he's done an immeasureable amount of good with the life he was given.

Kudos to Maynard!

Old 06-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #228
Level 8 - Vociferous

MJK is just a messenger. A tool, aptly enough. Maybe not as many people 'get it' as could. So what? If he brings a handful into the light or even just opens their eyes to the possibility then he's done an immeasureable amount of good with the life he was given.

Kudos to Maynard!

Magos
06-23-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:

Kudos to Maynard!
Agreed. You cant completely comprehend another persons mind unless you are them. Like MJK, who has been inspired by others, we should take the ideals of others that inspire us and draw from them our own conclusions.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #229
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Kudos to Maynard!
Agreed. You cant completely comprehend another persons mind unless you are them. Like MJK, who has been inspired by others, we should take the ideals of others that inspire us and draw from them our own conclusions.
06-24-2006, 12:04 AM

This thread is about Rosetta Stoned, right? lol. Initially, RS was a secondary thought to me. Then I saw them live while in Germany, and it blew me away. 10,000 Days was what I looked forward to when hearing Vicarious, now it is the one-two punch of LK/RS. Lost Keys is so paranoia-inducing. Rosetta Stoned, as well as the rest of 10,000 Days has equally talented and mind-blowing qualities to it, just as Undertow/AEnema/Lateralus has. Just as Lateralus had it's initial detractors-10,000 Days will be embraced as a masterpiece by almost all Tool fans. In due time...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:04 AM   #230
Level 3 - Talker

This thread is about Rosetta Stoned, right? lol. Initially, RS was a secondary thought to me. Then I saw them live while in Germany, and it blew me away. 10,000 Days was what I looked forward to when hearing Vicarious, now it is the one-two punch of LK/RS. Lost Keys is so paranoia-inducing. Rosetta Stoned, as well as the rest of 10,000 Days has equally talented and mind-blowing qualities to it, just as Undertow/AEnema/Lateralus has. Just as Lateralus had it's initial detractors-10,000 Days will be embraced as a masterpiece by almost all Tool fans. In due time...
06-24-2006, 10:46 AM

I agree with you, Toolfan24 - when I first got Lateralus shortly after its release (granted, I wasn't a deep Tool fan at the time) I was kind of disappointed with it on the whole and only really cared for a few songs on it - especially when compared to Ænima.

Now I look at it as being infinitely superior to Ænima (and indeed all other albums). It just takes time. Remember, the weather changes as time goes by. So I'm sure that as much as I enjoy 10,000 Days now my affinity for it will grow with time.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #231
Level 8 - Vociferous

I agree with you, Toolfan24 - when I first got Lateralus shortly after its release (granted, I wasn't a deep Tool fan at the time) I was kind of disappointed with it on the whole and only really cared for a few songs on it - especially when compared to Ænima.

Now I look at it as being infinitely superior to Ænima (and indeed all other albums). It just takes time. Remember, the weather changes as time goes by. So I'm sure that as much as I enjoy 10,000 Days now my affinity for it will grow with time.

carefreeonmorph's Avatar carefreeonmorph
06-25-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So does that mean that whoever writes something determines what it's about? And if they never tell anyone what it's about and 99% of the people think it's about something totally different, who's right?

From a quantum mechanics or buddhistic standpoint, there is no such thing as objective meaning. Meaning, experience, interpretation, they're all sole province to the observer. The observer determines, and thereby creates, the meaning and experience as it interacts with it.

So if whatever Maynard himself had in mind when he penned the lyrics is all you're interested in, I'm sorry you must live in such a bland world where you give up your right as the observer so someone else can spoonfeed you the meaning.
Just checkin back on this thread cause I posted on it before, and I read this again and thought... the fact that the same argument has gone on as much as it has PAST this quote... is down right rediculous...
If you don't believe drugs have helped us than do me a favor, go home and take all your CD's and all your albums and burn them you know why. Cause all the artist that created that music that's enhanced and changed your lives were "REAL" fuckin high on drugs.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #232
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
So does that mean that whoever writes something determines what it's about? And if they never tell anyone what it's about and 99% of the people think it's about something totally different, who's right?

From a quantum mechanics or buddhistic standpoint, there is no such thing as objective meaning. Meaning, experience, interpretation, they're all sole province to the observer. The observer determines, and thereby creates, the meaning and experience as it interacts with it.

So if whatever Maynard himself had in mind when he penned the lyrics is all you're interested in, I'm sorry you must live in such a bland world where you give up your right as the observer so someone else can spoonfeed you the meaning.
Just checkin back on this thread cause I posted on it before, and I read this again and thought... the fact that the same argument has gone on as much as it has PAST this quote... is down right rediculous...
If you don't believe drugs have helped us than do me a favor, go home and take all your CD's and all your albums and burn them you know why. Cause all the artist that created that music that's enhanced and changed your lives were "REAL" fuckin high on drugs.
johumuthiga
06-27-2006, 10:06 PM

In my opinion, Three deviations is right that all of tools songs have one meaning. In the past, the band memers have all said that all of their music is open to interpretation. But I think that people on this board are confused about the type of interpretation that they are talking about. The job of a music listener is to listen to the art, and let it affect you. It is not to say what you believe the artists were trying to say. The only evidence that the listener can really use, is how the music affected him/her. That being said, the way that I would go about interpreting rosetta stoned is to voice the feelings I had while listeing to the song. During the song, I have feelings of confusion,fear, understanding the purpose of life, and of a being hero. I would then simply say that these feelings are what the song is about. I would also talk about the climax of the song (overwhelmed). The climax makes me feel as though an experience, in this case an acid trip, has made me feel as though I am the one, the one to explain the meaning of life to everyone. But, the way this song ends leaves me with a feeling as though the understanding I once had is gone, it is a short lived feeling of enlightenment. I do not believe that this song is delivering a message. It is not saying that acid is good or bad. It is not saying that if you take acid you will understand the world. This song is simply expressing the emotions that come from having an experience in which life makes sense for a short while, and does so with great power.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #233
Level 2 - Poster

In my opinion, Three deviations is right that all of tools songs have one meaning. In the past, the band memers have all said that all of their music is open to interpretation. But I think that people on this board are confused about the type of interpretation that they are talking about. The job of a music listener is to listen to the art, and let it affect you. It is not to say what you believe the artists were trying to say. The only evidence that the listener can really use, is how the music affected him/her. That being said, the way that I would go about interpreting rosetta stoned is to voice the feelings I had while listeing to the song. During the song, I have feelings of confusion,fear, understanding the purpose of life, and of a being hero. I would then simply say that these feelings are what the song is about. I would also talk about the climax of the song (overwhelmed). The climax makes me feel as though an experience, in this case an acid trip, has made me feel as though I am the one, the one to explain the meaning of life to everyone. But, the way this song ends leaves me with a feeling as though the understanding I once had is gone, it is a short lived feeling of enlightenment. I do not believe that this song is delivering a message. It is not saying that acid is good or bad. It is not saying that if you take acid you will understand the world. This song is simply expressing the emotions that come from having an experience in which life makes sense for a short while, and does so with great power.
Magos
06-28-2006, 11:55 PM

You contradict yourself. You say its all about the way the song makes you feel, not interpreting the lyrics, yet towards the end of your post you're feelings are clearly influenced by the lyrics of the song i.e. what you believe the artists are trying to say. I dont know where you got feelings of enlightenment, and life making sence because I got chaos from this song. But thats my interpretation of how it made me feel. All songs have meanings, and they all mean different things to each person, so to say people are confused about how to interpret them isnt your call.

Last edited by Magos; 06-29-2006 at 12:00 AM..
Old 06-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #234
Level 3 - Talker

You contradict yourself. You say its all about the way the song makes you feel, not interpreting the lyrics, yet towards the end of your post you're feelings are clearly influenced by the lyrics of the song i.e. what you believe the artists are trying to say. I dont know where you got feelings of enlightenment, and life making sence because I got chaos from this song. But thats my interpretation of how it made me feel. All songs have meanings, and they all mean different things to each person, so to say people are confused about how to interpret them isnt your call.

Last edited by Magos; 06-29-2006 at 12:00 AM..
NawnimNonNomen's Avatar NawnimNonNomen
06-29-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magos
Good call on the self-contradiction, Magos. johumathiga does, I think, have some legitimate point in claiming that listeners should pay attention to their feelings when considering a song (and when discussing it). The problem with paying attention only to feelings is that it disregards the effect of words on those feelings. Why does this "feel" to so many like an acid trip? Well, it's probably because the words and linguistic imagery suggest a trip. Why do so many "feel" at parts as though they are "the one"? Well, it's probably because the lyrics say, "You are the chosen one."

Take away the lyrics entirely, and most of our feelings during the song would probably be much more similar to yours--"I feel chaos." Or they might be radically different: "I feel scared" (because chaotic arrangement is frightening to me); "I feel thrilled" (because Tool has a new album out, woo-hoo), etc. Ignoring the lyrics' meanings is like ignoring a fifth instrument in the song. I can't say I "feel" a point in the song that's clearly enlightenment without the lyrics. (About the only solid enlightenment-sound I can think of are those like the one at the end of FNM's "Jizzlobber"--the church choir, organ sort of "aaah-aaah-aaah-aaah" sound.)

Still, johumathiga, I have to say ignoring all but the lyrics' meanings is like ignoring four out of five instruments in the song. Am I correct in guessing this was your meaning?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 AM   #235
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Good call on the self-contradiction, Magos. johumathiga does, I think, have some legitimate point in claiming that listeners should pay attention to their feelings when considering a song (and when discussing it). The problem with paying attention only to feelings is that it disregards the effect of words on those feelings. Why does this "feel" to so many like an acid trip? Well, it's probably because the words and linguistic imagery suggest a trip. Why do so many "feel" at parts as though they are "the one"? Well, it's probably because the lyrics say, "You are the chosen one."

Take away the lyrics entirely, and most of our feelings during the song would probably be much more similar to yours--"I feel chaos." Or they might be radically different: "I feel scared" (because chaotic arrangement is frightening to me); "I feel thrilled" (because Tool has a new album out, woo-hoo), etc. Ignoring the lyrics' meanings is like ignoring a fifth instrument in the song. I can't say I "feel" a point in the song that's clearly enlightenment without the lyrics. (About the only solid enlightenment-sound I can think of are those like the one at the end of FNM's "Jizzlobber"--the church choir, organ sort of "aaah-aaah-aaah-aaah" sound.)

Still, johumathiga, I have to say ignoring all but the lyrics' meanings is like ignoring four out of five instruments in the song. Am I correct in guessing this was your meaning?
johumuthiga
06-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that I ever said that the lyrics are not part of the song. The words in this song do affect me, and should affect me because they are part of the music. So, I do not really see how I contradicted myself. And, in my interpretation of the song I
definitely was "influenced by the lyrics of the song", but that is far different then saying "what I believe the artists were trying to say". The difference is
that I was simply saying how the entire piece made me feel, rather then saying what I believe that the musicians were trying to say.

I also never did say that "people are confused about how to interpret" songs. What I said was that people appear to be confused about what the band means when they say that their songs are open to many different interpretations. I believe that the place where people can have different opinions of a song is in a personal experience of listening to the music.

When a band creates a song, it is expressing a specific idea. The band expresses the particular emotions of that idea through their music. But, when someone hears the song, they do not have knowledge of what caused the emotions that are present in the song, they only feel the result of that initial idea. So, the only thing that the listener is certain about is the way that the song made that person feel.

so, in my opinion the only area that people can really have a different view of a song is in the listening experience. People will relate emotions to different life experiences, and will be filled with different thoughts. So, no one can be wrong when they say that Rosetta Stoned made them feel a certain way. It's not even a matter of right or wrong, it is simply a result. But, I believe that people are then taking their personal ideas, and using them to guess what caused the band to feel the way they did in the song, and i don't think that this can be done accurately.

So, take what Three deviations said: this "Song is about how Maynard perceives everyone... fans and society in general.. and he's losing patience". Then take what EmbraceTdOxOmL said "i believe it is a message for all of those people using pychoactive and disassociative drugs to reach some crazy places and open up their third eye, that they are all waisting their time because the affects of the Chemicals are clouding and distorting the experience. And there are much safer cleaner ways to get there". Both of these are using the listeners personal opinion to say what they believe the message of the song is. Both examples show how the song affected the listener, and what the song made the listener think, but these opinions are the result of one meaning. If Three deviations felt an impatient tone, and EmbraceTdOxOmL felt turned away from drugs, then the idea behind this song has created those feelings. So, the main idea of this song, the meaning of this song, would be as simple as: the band is expressing impatience, and feelings from the use of a substance.

So what i'm really trying to say is that the personal experience that comes from listening to a song is different then the meaning of the song. The meaning of a song can be understood from the feelings created by the song, but they are not the same thing. Everyone's opinion about a song is correct, but the meaning of the song must be able to justify all these different experiences. In other words, the song's meaning, what the band is expressing, creates all of these opinions.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #236
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I don't believe that I ever said that the lyrics are not part of the song. The words in this song do affect me, and should affect me because they are part of the music. So, I do not really see how I contradicted myself. And, in my interpretation of the song I
definitely was "influenced by the lyrics of the song", but that is far different then saying "what I believe the artists were trying to say". The difference is
that I was simply saying how the entire piece made me feel, rather then saying what I believe that the musicians were trying to say.

I also never did say that "people are confused about how to interpret" songs. What I said was that people appear to be confused about what the band means when they say that their songs are open to many different interpretations. I believe that the place where people can have different opinions of a song is in a personal experience of listening to the music.

When a band creates a song, it is expressing a specific idea. The band expresses the particular emotions of that idea through their music. But, when someone hears the song, they do not have knowledge of what caused the emotions that are present in the song, they only feel the result of that initial idea. So, the only thing that the listener is certain about is the way that the song made that person feel.

so, in my opinion the only area that people can really have a different view of a song is in the listening experience. People will relate emotions to different life experiences, and will be filled with different thoughts. So, no one can be wrong when they say that Rosetta Stoned made them feel a certain way. It's not even a matter of right or wrong, it is simply a result. But, I believe that people are then taking their personal ideas, and using them to guess what caused the band to feel the way they did in the song, and i don't think that this can be done accurately.

So, take what Three deviations said: this "Song is about how Maynard perceives everyone... fans and society in general.. and he's losing patience". Then take what EmbraceTdOxOmL said "i believe it is a message for all of those people using pychoactive and disassociative drugs to reach some crazy places and open up their third eye, that they are all waisting their time because the affects of the Chemicals are clouding and distorting the experience. And there are much safer cleaner ways to get there". Both of these are using the listeners personal opinion to say what they believe the message of the song is. Both examples show how the song affected the listener, and what the song made the listener think, but these opinions are the result of one meaning. If Three deviations felt an impatient tone, and EmbraceTdOxOmL felt turned away from drugs, then the idea behind this song has created those feelings. So, the main idea of this song, the meaning of this song, would be as simple as: the band is expressing impatience, and feelings from the use of a substance.

So what i'm really trying to say is that the personal experience that comes from listening to a song is different then the meaning of the song. The meaning of a song can be understood from the feelings created by the song, but they are not the same thing. Everyone's opinion about a song is correct, but the meaning of the song must be able to justify all these different experiences. In other words, the song's meaning, what the band is expressing, creates all of these opinions.
Magos
06-30-2006, 02:26 AM

Yawn. I want the half hour it took to read your post back.

Last edited by Magos; 06-30-2006 at 02:30 AM..
Old 06-30-2006, 02:26 AM   #237
Level 3 - Talker

Yawn. I want the half hour it took to read your post back.

Last edited by Magos; 06-30-2006 at 02:30 AM..
SnakeShadow
06-30-2006, 12:55 PM

First off, I would like to remind people of one of the greatest tools in literature, and poetry. Allegory. Remember that from grade 10 english. One story can have many meanings on many levels. Maybe Maynard thinks he is the one trying to give the message to all of us, and at the same time trying to understand his the message himself but it keeps slipping through the cracks the way philosophy tends to. Regardless, the point of this post is to remind everyone that unless Maynard comes out and explicitly says what the song is about, being dogmatic about a opinion is just ignorant. All that serves to do is provoke a knee-jerk reaction from everyone who disagrees, and rightfully so. Anyone who is so close minded about something can't be entirely correct because it is contradictive. The world is not black and white. There are too many ways to view an opinion as correct or incorrect for it to be entirely either.

And don't get cute with me telling about my hypocracy of stating this opinion. :) I'm still trying to work all the ramifications of what I have said through my head, and by tomorrow I might feel completely different about the subject.

Last edited by SnakeShadow; 06-30-2006 at 01:30 PM..
Old 06-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #238
Level 1 - Lurker

First off, I would like to remind people of one of the greatest tools in literature, and poetry. Allegory. Remember that from grade 10 english. One story can have many meanings on many levels. Maybe Maynard thinks he is the one trying to give the message to all of us, and at the same time trying to understand his the message himself but it keeps slipping through the cracks the way philosophy tends to. Regardless, the point of this post is to remind everyone that unless Maynard comes out and explicitly says what the song is about, being dogmatic about a opinion is just ignorant. All that serves to do is provoke a knee-jerk reaction from everyone who disagrees, and rightfully so. Anyone who is so close minded about something can't be entirely correct because it is contradictive. The world is not black and white. There are too many ways to view an opinion as correct or incorrect for it to be entirely either.

And don't get cute with me telling about my hypocracy of stating this opinion. :) I'm still trying to work all the ramifications of what I have said through my head, and by tomorrow I might feel completely different about the subject.

Last edited by SnakeShadow; 06-30-2006 at 01:30 PM..
SnakeShadow
06-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Hmmm, just thought of something. I think ThreeDeviations may be making an improper analogy based on the wording of the song. If Maynard is the chosen one, then he has received the message from somewhere, but that doesnt matter. Now it is the time for the chosen one to relay the message for all to hear. But he forgot his pen. I think this less implies our inability to comprehend what he is telling us but rather implies his ineffectiveness in delivering the message. ie. he is not able to covey the message through his lyrical medium. Now whether Maynard would write a song about his inability to convey a message, I will leave up to you to discuss. I just wanted to point out a possible mistake in ThreeDeviations analysis of the song, cause it seems to me that he/she switched gears in the middle in order to come to the desired conclusion. Maynard is screaming that he shit the bed again. In order to come to the conclusion that ThreeDeviations came to, I suspect that Maynard would have to be the alien and all us tool fans be the chosen ones. Lemme know what you think
Old 06-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #239
Level 1 - Lurker

Hmmm, just thought of something. I think ThreeDeviations may be making an improper analogy based on the wording of the song. If Maynard is the chosen one, then he has received the message from somewhere, but that doesnt matter. Now it is the time for the chosen one to relay the message for all to hear. But he forgot his pen. I think this less implies our inability to comprehend what he is telling us but rather implies his ineffectiveness in delivering the message. ie. he is not able to covey the message through his lyrical medium. Now whether Maynard would write a song about his inability to convey a message, I will leave up to you to discuss. I just wanted to point out a possible mistake in ThreeDeviations analysis of the song, cause it seems to me that he/she switched gears in the middle in order to come to the desired conclusion. Maynard is screaming that he shit the bed again. In order to come to the conclusion that ThreeDeviations came to, I suspect that Maynard would have to be the alien and all us tool fans be the chosen ones. Lemme know what you think
Laugh
07-19-2006, 03:21 AM

three deviations...
notice the irony of this post?
Explaining the meaning, and having it fulfill itself on this post.
BTW, you're 100% right but it was futile to post something so
blatantly obvious. Haven't you learned by now most humans are dumbfucks?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #240
Level 4 - Thinker

three deviations...
notice the irony of this post?
Explaining the meaning, and having it fulfill itself on this post.
BTW, you're 100% right but it was futile to post something so
blatantly obvious. Haven't you learned by now most humans are dumbfucks?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply