opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 07-21-2004, 06:36 PM   #81
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: How You Write

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSummerSea
first of all, thanks for being the first person out of 12 with the guts(?) to express yourself on this subject.

It's disheartening to hear you say it is your weakest personal moment. I'd like to think that one day you'll realize you are merely impowering yourself with your own compellations of how this world works. Sharing your work is a choice, yes, but you will never know if those ingredients are indeed for a 'bad poem' until you share them.

Find your Spiral.
this is why i shared mine today. i'm new here so i figured why the hell not. i have no idea how i write. i would honestly like to know if it is crap or there's a little something there. so feel free to bash away at me.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #82
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 178

Sometimes in a passing moment where a metaphor is used a memory is snapped back, a feeling, a smell, a taste, something mentally triggers it and it just... Comes out. I once did a long study of poetry and since then my style drastically changed.

It's a hard thing to describe, and a harder thing to convey, but once you can convey it, the pain passes easier or the joy lingers longer.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #83
Banned.

Bincount™: 44

my way would have to be string theory.---------an infinity complex.---and "matrix vision" but then again im crazy to the majority lol <wink>
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:09 AM   #84
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Much like AnemicRoyalty, music is a big inspiration in my writing. Lately, I have been getting into bands like The Cure, R.E.M., and the Pixies and they have inspired to be more creative when it comes to setting the mood for the theme of my writings. For the last three weeks, I have been writing consistently, after getting thorugh a serious case of writer's block, so I thank those bands, as well as Tool and A Perfect Circle.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #85
Level 2 - Poster

I normally stop trying to write for 2 weeks or however long it takes, I stop thinking about writing, and just read a real interesting book or perhaps poems. Doing drugs may help :) but if not then all I can suggest is not thinking about it and not writing.

Eventually you'll want to kill someone or explode or possibly both. It'll come back.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:19 PM   #86
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

I write a lot of times by feel and what is passing in front of my mind at the moment...i don't really go through any process other than getting comfortable and relaxing, and letting the powers that be come to me...
Old 09-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 39

I dont write that much. When i do write something, i am always in a particular mood. Usually its late at night, im dead tired and listeninng to some dark music like godspeed you.... its when im in that mood, that i really start to think about life and who i am and so on, so most of what i write is basically about some unanswered questions i have

I tried to make sense so whatever :)
Old 10-09-2004, 12:17 PM   #88
On Probation

Bincount™: 1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987
I do both things. Sometimes I just write to write, and when I do that it usually turns out no good.
If I want to write a good poem, I need to think more or less what I want to convey in my poem. I did this is this poem: http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/for...ad.php?t=12353 . Unfortunately I don't know what people think of it. I decided I wanted to write about myself, and nature. I wanted about 20 lines, and I pushed myself into not using more than five adjectives/adverbes. I spent about 30 minutes writing it. But it definately needs revising - like almost all poems.

I think writing like that will eventually make me a better writer, even though the results may vary.
I really like your poem
especially the line
Silent as death
But comfortable as breath
Old 10-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #89
Level 7 - Loquacious

For fiction, I get an idea and then see where it takes me. I usually don't have a set goal in mind, which is why my stuff usually peters out to nothing unless I am doing a short story. I can usually finish those... For poetry I just sit down in front of a blank screen and write what comes. I never have an idea of what is going to come out until it starts. I will just let it flow out til the end, and then I'll go back and rework it. Except for the poem I did about Kurt Cobain. That I had a specific idea for. Everything else is just stream-of-conciousness.
http://www.angelfire.com/psy/meerkat/
RISHLOO- http://www.rishloo.com
*Adopted by peachyyy- my new mom!!!*
Old 11-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #90
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the way i write is caused by events that take place; negative and positive events. comparing everything to nature is the best way i write. drugs dont usually help when i cant even remember my own lines to write/type them. this is how i do things till that fucking writers block shit gets crammed up my ass, and constipates me like a mack truck that is too big to pass under a bridge.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 AM   #91
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

so, drugs are like mind-laxatives?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #92
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

depends on the person my friend xD, im a lightweight with most drugs so they really do effect me mentally.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:55 AM   #93
On Probation

Bincount™: 1013

Usually, just before I go to sleep, hit its me, and I just spit it all out
But some of the best things come to me while I'm walking my dog, but then I can't write them down, and I forget them
Old 11-20-2004, 11:02 PM   #94
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachyyy
Usually, just before I go to sleep, hit its me, and I just spit it all out
But some of the best things come to me while I'm walking my dog, but then I can't write them down, and I forget them
This used to happen to me all the time. I would think of something and think 'Oh, well I can remember that until i sit down to write again." HA, ya right. So I have a primary notebook that I do most of my writing in and then I have several smaller, more portable notepads stored in places such as in my car, bookbag, near my bed ect. If one of these notebooks is not available (or if I forget to bring one) I usually look for something to write on and just transfer it to my big notebook when i sit down to write. It really helps and I can't help but wonder about all the writing that could have been if not for my piss poor memory.

~Leonard Bernstein
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #95
Level 1 - Lurker

testing testing..... *crackles* we are here
Old 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #96
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 282

I just get into a mood when theres something inside of me making me feel emotional (angry sad happy whatever) and then it ussually comes out pretty good it usually makes me feel much better too. Being a little drunk usually helps. I write shit if its not straight from the heart.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #97
Banned.

Bincount™: 1951

smoke pot....maybe take some acid.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

IT depends,i mean sometimes it comes to you like in a dream and sometimes when you want to,it just is not there.It is so weird.Writing to me is some form of religion,it keeps you going,it gives you the strenght to go on.Anything can trigger inspiration,flashbacks,smells,tastes,de ja vu,but most of all music!!!!!Writing gives you the meduim in which you can truly express yourself as is with any form of art,its just so amazing,you get into a higher mode of being as a whole,you move out of the present and into something even more,something greater,you start seeing the bigger picture and you can then see things that was not clear before.I live through writing,and through music,writing makes me who i am.But like i said it is just something in which you have to find your own way,it takes a while but when you have it,it becomes such a part of you,a symbiotic entity,and you start being something more on a higher level......
Old 03-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #99
Level 2 - Poster

Sort of new here, sort of not.
Anyway, when I write it's usually because earlier in the day I had a feeling or a phrase or a word stuck in my head that I knew could be developed into something. Because there is almost always a delay, I often lose the original feeling, and so most of my writing is junk. There is definitely a correlation for me between being really upset about something and writing decent poetry or prose. I suppose it's unfortunate, but it works.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 AM   #100
Level 1 - Lurker

Insanity. Its a constant ringing in my ear, or an image in my head that wont leave me alone until i put it into something else.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

The way I write may be strage. Sometimes, I just start writing what coms to mind even when I don't want to, scribbling down line after line. Then, I take a break let my head clear read what I wrote and make it understandable. I may also just be in the mood and I begin to write and it already makes sense. Most of this I leave as is without editing, save grammer and spelling, but other stuff I edit extensivly trying to make it perfect.

I always end up going on a year hiatus every other year from writing my novel. I tried writing on it agin. I even posted it on deviantart.com and got some replies on how to make it better, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Anyone else have this problem? Oh well I must try it again soon I'm getting the itch :).

Reguadless of which reason I start to write, I always have music in the background and most of the time it is Tool or APC. It helps me gather my thoughts and gives them more meaning, so I guess Maynard has acomplised what he hoped for in at least one person :)

Heres a link to my writing http://timothy-quaid.deviantart.com I have more than this but this is what I've posted. My novel is Darius Part one its under my featured writing.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

I definitely agree that sometimes drugs help, and alcohol.
Although I don't rely on either I've written some decent stuff completely sober.
a lot of the time it's pretty random stuff, maybe something triggered by something that I observe around me, but I'm constantly forming my thoughts in poetry format, if that makes any sense.
I don't know.

if I have writers block I use a series of excersises stuff like obfuscated and subconscious writing, recording your dreams, writing down everything you hear for an hour, and what not...
Old 04-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #103
Level 3 - Talker

Drugs are good at getting the creativity flowing, but they tend to stifle the critical instinct. Any old shit that you write looks good if you're high, and usuallly for me about one tenth of it is salvagable, but the rest is pure crap.

Of course, if you like stream-of-consciousness stuff for its own sake, then by all means, roll a fat one and sit down with a pen (or at a computer).

By the way, anyone else find they write differently by hand versus on computer? I mean in terms of the kinds of poetry that comes out?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #104
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: the house with the red door... now red was your colour
Bincount™: 2324

Quote:
Originally Posted by mea_culpa
By the way, anyone else find they write differently by hand versus on computer? I mean in terms of the kinds of poetry that comes out?
Yeah, definitely mea...

I write my poetry by hand and then type it up onto the computer...

Hang on, I'm pretty stoned right now... So I'm going to write some poems and get back to you guys... I'll post them in here...
Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #105
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, I have thought about this in a bit of depth, and the stuff I write on the computer tends to be less emotional and more detatched, which is reflected in the line breaks which tend to be a little more spasmodic and disruptive. Also the vocabulary has a higher rate of latinate words. The overall effect is one of cynicism and self-consciousness. So, more Thom Yorke than Maynard. (If that's not hubris)

On the other hand, the stuff I write with a pen can be a lot more direct and fluid with a far greater tendency to rhyme. So, I write songs with pen/paper and guitar. The negative side-effect is that it can sometimes be overly melodramatic and emotionally immature. On a bad day. They both have their place though.

I think it reflects the degree of mediation between my head and the finished words, ie. the computer is a much bigger barrier than the pen, but it has its own (mostly) charming effect.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #106
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2025

I usually just start writing nonsense and see what comes out of my subconscious.
If I stumble onto something interesting I expand from there.
It requires silence and concentration though, I can't write with a lot of distractions. Typing things on the computer for example distracts the hell out of me and it all comes out forced.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #107
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 64

Sometimes I watch TV and get all 'inspired' while watching all the nonsense,then I just take a piece of paper and write down all the fast-paced thought fragments and then I turn them into one or more poems...and when I read them again after a few days I feel like a friggin idiot for writing that kinda crap...
It's easier for me to type on the computer than to write on paper cuz it's faster and I can catch and express the chaotic thoughts easier...
Old 04-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #108
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

I lay in bed with a notebook on my dresser drawer. I always think of things minutes before I fall asleep. I can't even consider to imagine all of the cool ideas that I completely lost because I never wrote them down.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: