opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 12. Triad
User Name
Password
Old 06-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200
Sounds like a new start.

After the epic journey that is Reflection, I think Triad sounds like the start of a new album. To me, Reflection was the perfecting ending to this album. Then it starts again for one song only. It's like an encore.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Sounds like a new start.

To me, Triad is the biggest mystery in Lateralus. While the whole theme seems to be about evolution (one side of it), it's as if the final step is meant to be violent and, well, destructive, maybe (or even painful).

Comments.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

I think Reflection is just that - reflecting on everything that's happened. Triad is the new beginning.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:58 AM   #4
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain
After the epic journey that is Reflection, I think Triad sounds like the start of a new album. To me, Reflection was the perfecting ending to this album. Then it starts again for one song only. It's like an encore.
yep agree. for some unquantifyable reason this song has always been one of the most moving on the album, probly the building, relentless energy this song exudes.

my friend said he thought the cries on this track sounded like a baby being birthed and i'm inclined to agree- a new baby has been born by the incredible power of TOOL
Old 07-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Triad is an awesome track. It ends the album on a very uplifting and energizing note.
There are all these different rythyms that have been woven together in a very masterful way. Try and focus on all the layers of percussion going on (then one layer at a time) and then the way they interact with the guitar's rythyms. Then focus on the bass! These guys are good :)
Old 07-19-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

I agree entirely with this thread.

When I first heard Triad, rising up from the stillness of Reflection, I thought it sounded like a build up to a huge epic track, a climax to the album, but it suddenly stops into silence.

Then when I least expected it, this weird sound just started... Faaip de Oiad.

An amazing finish.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

yeah, unfortunately the whole new album < Triad ..... i like the new album, but it didn't go to the direction i wanted it to go.. i don't blame Tool though.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
On Probation

Bincount™: 152

I like these ideas of a new beginning, the violent erruption, a rebirth after calm towards the end of reflection.

From a purely instrumental point of view Its also good. Not many others i've spoke to seem to listen to it. But it took time to grow on me too.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

I actually find Triad to be a very driving, positive song. As if you have achieved something great and now you're just sitting back, basking in it.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3088

the visuals i get while listening to triad are very intense. i see an empty desert wasteland with hordes of ancient soldiers marching to a meeting point. as they begin to charge eachother, gigantic war gods erupt from the sand in full fury. the war gods are half man half bull creatures with crude weapons stomping and thrashing the soldiers around them, sending limbs and bodies flying hundreds of feet into the desert. the cold florescence of the moon glistens off the armor, and gives the shed blood a dark blue tint streaming down the gods faces and swords
Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 AM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I think Triad sounds like a new beginning because its more industrial sounding. Its based on a single driving rhythm rather than an intro, build up, release type arrangement like the rest of the album. The keyboards add a lot to this song I think in terms of making it unique to the other songs on the album.

Is it just me or does the guitar part seem like a sped up variation of the grudge? Not exactly, but listen to the grudge "saturn ascends, the one the ten, ignorant to the damage done" .... that riff.

What do you think?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Worm View Post
the visuals i get while listening to triad are very intense. i see an empty desert wasteland with hordes of ancient soldiers marching to a meeting point. as they begin to charge eachother, gigantic war gods erupt from the sand in full fury. the war gods are half man half bull creatures with crude weapons stomping and thrashing the soldiers around them, sending limbs and bodies flying hundreds of feet into the desert. the cold florescence of the moon glistens off the armor, and gives the shed blood a dark blue tint streaming down the gods faces and swords

You either have a good imagination or you are listening to this song on acid. Are you? Either way, what you describe here does go well with the song. I did my share of trippin' and listening to music and your post brings back memories.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:12 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Man!That song has the best HardCore Rif in 3/4.
Anyway...about that new begining...very true.
plus i love maynard's lyrics there ;p
Old 10-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3088

i've been getting those visuals for years now, even before i tripped mushrooms for the first time. when i did trip and listened to lateralus in its entirety, i pretty much relived it so vividly and it was fucking incredible. i'd say the trip just added the fine details of the visual, but the foundation has been there since the first time i listened to it.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

lateralus is great with mushrooms
but have always like how they changed the tracks to have lateralus follow triad, in the live shows. it fits quite well with the idea that triad is a new beginning.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

I stopped trippin' about a year or so before this album came out, but, I can imagine the imagery that might be induced, though I feel that Tools music is good enough that you don't need it. Anyway, take a couple caps for me next time, just don't puke, those things kick ass, but, damn they tear up your stomach.

Happy Traaaaiiiiilllllllllls................Oh Shit!

Last edited by base metal; 10-19-2006 at 10:49 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: