Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
JimmyJ
05-28-2006, 10:33 PM

This is the second time (that I know of) Tool has used the word "Saturn" in their music, with the first being The Grudge. In Jambi we have:

"So if I could I'd wish it all away.
If I thought tomorrow, would take you away.
You're my peace of mind, my own, my saturn.
Just try to hold on one more day."

I'm too lazy to go out and research what you guys all probably know already, so I figured I'd just ask here. What is the meaning of "Saturn?"

I imagine there's some sort of ancient mythology about all of the planets, like Venus has always been a symbol for the female and/or sex. There's probably something (or many things) like this for "Saturn" that Tool is touching upon. I don't know any of them and was wondering if any of you do.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Saturn?

This is the second time (that I know of) Tool has used the word "Saturn" in their music, with the first being The Grudge. In Jambi we have:

"So if I could I'd wish it all away.
If I thought tomorrow, would take you away.
You're my peace of mind, my own, my saturn.
Just try to hold on one more day."

I'm too lazy to go out and research what you guys all probably know already, so I figured I'd just ask here. What is the meaning of "Saturn?"

I imagine there's some sort of ancient mythology about all of the planets, like Venus has always been a symbol for the female and/or sex. There's probably something (or many things) like this for "Saturn" that Tool is touching upon. I don't know any of them and was wondering if any of you do.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HallsOfMandos's Avatar HallsOfMandos
05-28-2006, 10:46 PM

well - its debatable....i hear "you're my peace of mind, my own, my center" which makes sense without forcing a grail-quest upon you...
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15
Re: Saturn?

well - its debatable....i hear "you're my peace of mind, my own, my center" which makes sense without forcing a grail-quest upon you...
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
thomas.freeman
05-29-2006, 09:22 AM

its what you make it ...although thats what any tool fan would say .....

but just a clue for you .... search book of thoth/saturn/the ancient works of guelli petrachino

the latter of which you wont find on google/yahoo !!!!!! i went to a library but it explains a bit about saturns role in the cosmos...

spiral out
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

its what you make it ...although thats what any tool fan would say .....

but just a clue for you .... search book of thoth/saturn/the ancient works of guelli petrachino

the latter of which you wont find on google/yahoo !!!!!! i went to a library but it explains a bit about saturns role in the cosmos...

spiral out
Sasha's Avatar Sasha
05-29-2006, 09:34 AM

http://www.isarastrology.com/content/view/26/40/1/1/

Saturn is a symbol for our inner child I think. In relation to the lyrics, this very well applies to the theory that this song is about Devo. Devo is Maynard's inner child (see skull picture after Maynard picture in linear notes), his reflection, his source of stability. I see Saturn as serving a purpose of reminding us of our inner child, our benevolence, maybe even our purity.

In the Grudge we see Saturn as a healing tool, a rememberment of who we should be, that in 30 or so years time it ascends and it reminds us to join in and go back to what we were, a rebirth of sorts, a kinder understanding.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
The most Bosnianest of us all

Bincount™: 4279

http://www.isarastrology.com/content/view/26/40/1/1/

Saturn is a symbol for our inner child I think. In relation to the lyrics, this very well applies to the theory that this song is about Devo. Devo is Maynard's inner child (see skull picture after Maynard picture in linear notes), his reflection, his source of stability. I see Saturn as serving a purpose of reminding us of our inner child, our benevolence, maybe even our purity.

In the Grudge we see Saturn as a healing tool, a rememberment of who we should be, that in 30 or so years time it ascends and it reminds us to join in and go back to what we were, a rebirth of sorts, a kinder understanding.
varialbender
05-29-2006, 10:54 PM

If Saturn is his inner child, then it fits even better with the less popular theory that the song is not about Devo, and rather an earlier version of Maynard, such as was the case with Jimmy. There are a lot of parallels between Jambi and Jimmy, so I'd put my money on that.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

If Saturn is his inner child, then it fits even better with the less popular theory that the song is not about Devo, and rather an earlier version of Maynard, such as was the case with Jimmy. There are a lot of parallels between Jambi and Jimmy, so I'd put my money on that.
justify_denials's Avatar justify_denials
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM

More than likely this song is rather an extension of "schism". Even the opening riff, although nothing like the end of Schism, still reminds me of Schism, the end of Schism.
When I hear Jambi, I always feel in the lyrics and music, division, feelings of division and it fits perfect with Schism and its theme.

"Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along"

Relationship and sex right there.

"[Want and need; if I need,
/ What you need, if I leave,
/ Watching me divide me]
Then I might as well be gone..."

[Divide and wither away
/ Divided, withering away
/ Divide, I'm withering away
/ Divide, I wither away]"

Division, schismatic, very schismatic lyrics.......Sounds the much like an exstention of Schism.

"Breathe in union"

"Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed
Shine [on 'til / until] the two become one"

Not nessacarily what is, but maybe a want.

Benevolent:

1: doing or producing good [syn: beneficent, gracious] 2: intending or showing kindness 3: having or showing or arising from a desire to promote the welfare or happiness of others;

So odviously the word "Benevolent" is stating more than one person in the lyrics.

Last edited by justify_denials; 05-30-2006 at 06:09 PM..
Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

More than likely this song is rather an extension of "schism". Even the opening riff, although nothing like the end of Schism, still reminds me of Schism, the end of Schism.
When I hear Jambi, I always feel in the lyrics and music, division, feelings of division and it fits perfect with Schism and its theme.

/ Watching me divide me]

[Divide and wither away

Division, schismatic, very schismatic lyrics.......Sounds the much like an exstention of Schism.

"Breathe in union"

"Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Benevolent:

1: doing or producing good [syn: beneficent, gracious] 2: intending or showing kindness 3: having or showing or arising from a desire to promote the welfare or happiness of others;

So odviously the word "Benevolent" is stating more than one person in the lyrics.

Last edited by justify_denials; 05-30-2006 at 06:09 PM..
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justify_denials

/ Watching me divide me]

[Divide and wither away

"Breathe in union"

"Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Benevolent:

How do you get shout to the devil when it's so clearly "tempted the devil"??? I don't get that?

Listen to the live Seattle version or Dallas version and you can clearly hear it.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justify_denials

/ Watching me divide me]

[Divide and wither away

"Breathe in union"

"Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun

Benevolent:

How do you get shout to the devil when it's so clearly "tempted the devil"??? I don't get that?

Listen to the live Seattle version or Dallas version and you can clearly hear it.
05-31-2006, 06:45 PM

yes
Old 05-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #8

Bincount™: 2

yes
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-31-2006, 06:59 PM

he doesn't say saturn.

center
Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

he doesn't say saturn.

center
05-31-2006, 08:23 PM

yes it's center...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

yes it's center...
justify_denials's Avatar justify_denials
05-31-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

Hey, tell that to whoever posted the lyrics up on this site........It sounds like "Tempted" to me. I just copy and pasted the lyrics for the quickness. If I were to walk up to you on the street and say "the sky is blue, not a cloud in the sky!" would you respond with "Actually, there is one little speck of cloud visible from here that is basicly miniscule speck" When in fact I don't need to be dead on specific with every little trivial thing! I'll bet you call white people "peach, with a tinge of red and tan and maybe a bit of light brown."
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

Hey, tell that to whoever posted the lyrics up on this site........It sounds like "Tempted" to me. I just copy and pasted the lyrics for the quickness. If I were to walk up to you on the street and say "the sky is blue, not a cloud in the sky!" would you respond with "Actually, there is one little speck of cloud visible from here that is basicly miniscule speck" When in fact I don't need to be dead on specific with every little trivial thing! I'll bet you call white people "peach, with a tinge of red and tan and maybe a bit of light brown."
06-05-2006, 05:54 PM

Saturn. It is used in the grudge. The symbology behind it is this... every 27 years Saturn completes an orbit. This is supposed to correspond to major changes in our lives. Every 27 years, one is said to experience a change of personality, a change in outlook, etc... this is what he is referring to in The Grudge when he says "saturn comes back around". I find it veeeeerrry interesting that 10,000 days roughly equals 27 years. And that that was how long Judith was paralyzed before her death. Hmm.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #12

Bincount™: 8

Saturn. It is used in the grudge. The symbology behind it is this... every 27 years Saturn completes an orbit. This is supposed to correspond to major changes in our lives. Every 27 years, one is said to experience a change of personality, a change in outlook, etc... this is what he is referring to in The Grudge when he says "saturn comes back around". I find it veeeeerrry interesting that 10,000 days roughly equals 27 years. And that that was how long Judith was paralyzed before her death. Hmm.
06-05-2006, 06:14 PM

I find this Saturn talk very intriguing. I'm starting to believe that it might be valid- or just plain right. The healing power of Saturn certainly speaks to the crisis described in, "Divided, I'm witherin' away."
But I'll pull through
Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

I find this Saturn talk very intriguing. I'm starting to believe that it might be valid- or just plain right. The healing power of Saturn certainly speaks to the crisis described in, "Divided, I'm witherin' away."
But I'll pull through
orangedarkblue's Avatar orangedarkblue
06-06-2006, 07:35 AM

I think MJK says center.

Anyway, about Saturn, 10,000 days and the Grudge -

Saturn astologically, and I think in MJK's universe as well, is seen as the grim reaper/ gate keeper. The planet rules the lessons we must learn in life. He demands that all things be given structure and meaning. He will stop you dead in your tracks if you are bedazzled by Neptune and have lost your grip on reality. Saturn is the planet at the end of the Roman universe, also their God of fertility, but it's not a real end of everything if Saturn swallows you. He reaps to plant new seeds.

Saturn Return

Each twenty-nine years naturally present us with the challenge to rise to new levels of awareness, or face the consequences of having failed to gain the wisdom required so to do. (See Grudge lyrics) Saturn returns to the zodiacal degree where he was in your birth chart, once every 29 years, at around age 28-30, 57-59 (and if you live long enough) 86-88. You then have what astrologers call a Saturn Return, or -by proxy- ten thousand days cycle.

Last edited by orangedarkblue; 06-06-2006 at 01:49 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

I think MJK says center.

Anyway, about Saturn, 10,000 days and the Grudge -

Saturn astologically, and I think in MJK's universe as well, is seen as the grim reaper/ gate keeper. The planet rules the lessons we must learn in life. He demands that all things be given structure and meaning. He will stop you dead in your tracks if you are bedazzled by Neptune and have lost your grip on reality. Saturn is the planet at the end of the Roman universe, also their God of fertility, but it's not a real end of everything if Saturn swallows you. He reaps to plant new seeds.

Saturn Return

Each twenty-nine years naturally present us with the challenge to rise to new levels of awareness, or face the consequences of having failed to gain the wisdom required so to do. (See Grudge lyrics) Saturn returns to the zodiacal degree where he was in your birth chart, once every 29 years, at around age 28-30, 57-59 (and if you live long enough) 86-88. You then have what astrologers call a Saturn Return, or -by proxy- ten thousand days cycle.

Last edited by orangedarkblue; 06-06-2006 at 01:49 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply