opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 12. Triad
User Name
Password
Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 5
the hidden sounds

listening to this song as often as i do, and knowing it through and through, i have noticed so much that is laced within it. samples of various screams and breaths, for example. and then in one part there's the little sound of the electronic drums from stinkfist, and in the left speaker there's a reoccurring sound that makes me think of a large pipe heavily blowing steam. i recall hearing a fart noise once i believe....this song is just so laced with so many little quirks.

just thought i'd mention that, along with my fascination with the drumming in this song, such as that hard hit right after the first quiet part (this one:

D|---2p0h2-3p2p0-2p0h2-3p2p0|).

is there anything i missed that i might not have caught, as far as sound effects samples? i know the yells and screams, the electronic drums, the heavy wind sound (or heavy hiss, i you will), and the supposed fart i thought i heard once (unless that was someone sitting nearby). this song is filled with little easetr eggs, and was just wondering if you caught any others.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: the hidden sounds

That would be cool, yes. I have never heard the Stinkfist sample in it and I think that could be important.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Banned.

yeah i'll post em.

1. you may have noticed this, but windy, vacant noise plays during the beginning of this song that carries of from the end of Reflection.

2. one of the electronic drums is at about 3:19 to 3:20, the other at about 3:34 or 3:33, another at 3:45, and another a few seconds later. it's not a stinkfist sample if that's what you're thinking, it's just played on the same sounding electronic drums.

3. there's a out scream at 3:26, and it's repeated several times throughout the song. i think this was a sort of subliminal trick to give you an angry or scared type of emotion while listening to the song.

4. i'm sure you noticed the watery organ during the quiet part.

5. there's a sort of breathing whispering, a two syllable phrase growled out that you can barely hear, and it's repeated during about the second half (or maybe more?) of the quiet part.

6 oh, and we all heard the little springy noise thing that happens from around 5:50 to 6:05 (rough estimate, but you no what i mean), but i made some tabs for it on bass:

G|------9--------9-| (there's more, but i didn't bother with it when i was playing
D|-12-----12-------| around while listening to the song yesterday)

7. and at about 3:35 a really fuzzy sort of Eulogy type gurgling/chanting starts playing in the background for a while.

that about comletes my list of the in-obvious sound effects from Triad. myself, i feel like i'm running scared through the desert during this song; running from great, egyptian machines. i love it.

Last edited by tooljones; 04-21-2005 at 11:50 AM..
Old 04-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooljones
that about comletes my list of the in-obvious sound effects from Triad. myself, i feel like i'm running scared through the desert during this song; running from great, egyptian machines. i love it.
Interesting... I cant see it from outside the bigger perspective of D/R/T, where Reflection is the exodus from the dead and Triad is the creation of the new, by the new, for the new. Listen to the quiet part again. Does it not sound like the narrator is hiding behind something, peeking out at the seed it planted?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Interesting... I cant see it from outside the bigger perspective of D/R/T, where Reflection is the exodus from the dead and Triad is the creation of the new, by the new, for the new. Listen to the quiet part again. Does it not sound like the narrator is hiding behind something, peeking out at the seed it planted?

the quiet part makes me think of things being calm momentarily, and when it starts up loud again, they see me/him and start chasing me/him again, and toward the end with the other quiet part, things seem safe and jazzy again, but at the very end of the song, the machines pop up again.

i doubt that's what tool intended, but it's what i see/trip on.

can you hear all the things i mentioned? the gurgling that starts at 3:35 is something i just noticed today...but it's there, no doubt. it's really cool because i doubt i've found everything, and there's still the rest of the album to scan...especially Faaipe.

honestly, i don't see d/r/t as being a constant sequence. Disposition makes me think of morning; beautiful, harmony, drousy. Reflection makes me think of a cool afternoon traveling through the desert, and after the peak of the solo, i picture the sun going down. and triad makes me think of the desert, and we are running from machines as they rise from the sand pits and chase after us at the dunes. they resemble giant wolves, and when they start chasing us, everyone else disappears into thin air, and i'm the only one running. by the end, i think they're gone, but show their heads again, and that's where the song ends.

Last edited by tooljones; 04-21-2005 at 01:19 PM..
Old 10-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

The "springy noise" is possibly a Tar or Setar (setar), or another type of middle eastern guitar-style instrument. i am certain of that. sounds like a little hammer on riff.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

where is the grand-pianos-getting-smashed noise i keep hearing about???

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: