opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 12. Triad
User Name
Password
Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Om

I am studying hinduism as part of my reigious studies major and it is very interesting to see parallels between tool and hinduism. Especially in lateralus. But i was learning about the Om, and for those who dont know it is the symbol for the essence of the universe, perfection, oneness with the universe, the highest of the high. Om is the sound of the universe, but composed of three(triad) seperate sounds; Au-oo-em. I am pretty sure that the voice in this song makes all three of these sounds at one point of the song. So, this the point of complete enlightenment of the album which seems to tie in nicely with lateralus.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483
Re: Om

this is interesting. although im drawing a blank with the whole au-oo-em thing. its cool to look at all the parallels you can find between TOOL and other religions, philosophies, beliefs or what have you. what other parallels have you found between TOOL(Lateralus) and hinduism? any worth noting?

also, the mind sees what it wants to seeee...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #3

Some other parallels between lateralus and hinduism is the idea of awareness and consciousness, such as the 'eyeblade' on the cd artwork. Also the duality of mind and body expressed in the song lateralus is a popular concept in Hinduism.

Tool also uses water as a metephor for purification and cleansing. Hinduism, as well as many other cultures view water as the same sort of force.

Maynard supposedly has the Kundalini snake tattooed on his back, which is a symbol for kundalini meditation, which is Hindu. Also the whole chakra system that you see on the Lateralus album cover as represented by eyes originates with Hinduism. Meditation is something I am sure Tool places significance on, as does Hinduism.

The mantra is a Hindu ritual. It is chanted before and after a prayer.

There are probably other Hindu belief systems incorporated into Tool's music, especially on Lateralus, but these are jsut a few i found.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #4

also the idea of destroying the ego, as in the song reflection, to reach enlightenment is a Hindu belief
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
Some other parallels between lateralus and hinduism is the idea of awareness and consciousness, such as the 'eyeblade' on the cd artwork. Also the duality of mind and body expressed in the song lateralus is a popular concept in Hinduism.

Tool also uses water as a metephor for purification and cleansing. Hinduism, as well as many other cultures view water as the same sort of force.

Maynard supposedly has the Kundalini snake tattooed on his back, which is a symbol for kundalini meditation, which is Hindu. Also the whole chakra system that you see on the Lateralus album cover as represented by eyes originates with Hinduism. Meditation is something I am sure Tool places significance on, as does Hinduism.

The mantra is a Hindu ritual. It is chanted before and after a prayer.

There are probably other Hindu belief systems incorporated into Tool's music, especially on Lateralus, but these are jsut a few i found.
thats somewhat interesting about mantra, a ritual, being chanted before and after a prayer. in this context it must be associated with The Patient and/or Schism. if that is the case, than perhaps TOOL sees one or both of these songs as somewhat of a prayer? i read in an article post-Lateralus era, where Maynard noted Schism to be in his eyes, one of their most significant songs. however, of course being the Maynard that he is, did not explain any reasoning to why. i read that in the article section a while back, could probably find it again if your interested.

the water concept...i see that (obviously) in Undertow, but thats about it with maybe the tidal wave exception in Aenema. as far as the water being "cleansing", i see probably the opposite in Undertow.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Interesting stuff!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
I am studying hinduism as part of my reigious studies major and it is very interesting to see parallels between tool and hinduism. Especially in lateralus. But i was learning about the Om, and for those who dont know it is the symbol for the essence of the universe, perfection, oneness with the universe, the highest of the high. Om is the sound of the universe, but composed of three(triad) seperate sounds; Au-oo-em. I am pretty sure that the voice in this song makes all three of these sounds at one point of the song. So, this the point of complete enlightenment of the album which seems to tie in nicely with lateralus.
...and at what part during this track do you hear any of those sounds, I sure don't.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Interesting stuff!
Ah, it's alright
Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
...and at what part during this track do you hear any of those sounds, I sure don't.
throughout the song. pay attention.

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: