Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 07. Lost Keys
User Name
Password
HanInCarbonite's Avatar HanInCarbonite
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM

The idea for the dialog in this track sounds like it would make a good story. TOOL should get together w/ Stephen King and have him finish it. It already has that mysteriousness to it. What collaboration could be better, they both are excellent at their craft.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Stephen King and TOOL

The idea for the dialog in this track sounds like it would make a good story. TOOL should get together w/ Stephen King and have him finish it. It already has that mysteriousness to it. What collaboration could be better, they both are excellent at their craft.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
euthanasia's Avatar euthanasia
05-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Interestingly, I was thinking about how, musically, this albums makes me think of the Dark Tower series.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Human

Re: Stephen King and TOOL

Interestingly, I was thinking about how, musically, this albums makes me think of the Dark Tower series.
HallsOfMandos's Avatar HallsOfMandos
05-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euthanasia

Care to elaborate?
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

Quote:

Care to elaborate?
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams
Maine-iak's Avatar Maine-iak
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanInCarbonite
Well....Stephen King DOES play the guitar and is a rock fan. Not sure if he's a Tool fan, however. I have actually seen Stephen King get on stage with another well known band for a concert at UMaine once. He lives just down the road from here.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanInCarbonite
Well....Stephen King DOES play the guitar and is a rock fan. Not sure if he's a Tool fan, however. I have actually seen Stephen King get on stage with another well known band for a concert at UMaine once. He lives just down the road from here.
05-20-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more!

DT fans know that everything's '19', and this album, everything's '23'

:)
Old 05-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more!

DT fans know that everything's '19', and this album, everything's '23'

:)
05-20-2006, 06:58 PM

I really need to read the Dark Tower series.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 23

I really need to read the Dark Tower series.
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM

May it do ya fine
Old 05-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

May it do ya fine
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I read the Dark Tower series and think about it day to day and 10,000 days doesn't remind me of it at all.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
I read the Dark Tower series and think about it day to day and 10,000 days doesn't remind me of it at all.
Tachyon
05-22-2006, 02:15 PM

What's the Dark Tower serie about???
Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

What's the Dark Tower serie about???
05-22-2006, 02:55 PM

It's like the search for the holy grail but with guns.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
Suicide Booth ID: 15

Bincount™: 2221

It's like the search for the holy grail but with guns.
StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
05-22-2006, 04:23 PM

When I listen to this album from beginning to end. It reminds me of watching a movie. But only in sound. Or a book. It's like a long story that takes you on a whole journey. Hooray Beer!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

When I listen to this album from beginning to end. It reminds me of watching a movie. But only in sound. Or a book. It's like a long story that takes you on a whole journey. Hooray Beer!
05-22-2006, 06:34 PM

My comment was purely subjective (aren't them all?), and I again put my emphasis in how the album 'musically' reminds me of the Dark Tower series. As in the music and the atmosphere it creates, loss, chaos, osbcurity, greyness, sorrow and redemption.

It's not like Roland is Rosetta Stoned, the music alone made the connection.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Human

My comment was purely subjective (aren't them all?), and I again put my emphasis in how the album 'musically' reminds me of the Dark Tower series. As in the music and the atmosphere it creates, loss, chaos, osbcurity, greyness, sorrow and redemption.

opiated's Avatar opiated
05-22-2006, 07:14 PM

Take the lyrics in a literal sense, and "Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" is a great theme song for "Dreamcatcher."

I don't know, the music makes me think more of that novel than other selections of King's work.

Heh, shit weasels.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 145

Take the lyrics in a literal sense, and "Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned" is a great theme song for "Dreamcatcher."

I don't know, the music makes me think more of that novel than other selections of King's work.

Heh, shit weasels.
tescovee's Avatar tescovee
05-23-2006, 03:53 AM

Stephin king forgot the face of his father, you read CELL? :P
I never thought he did scifi well, othere then maby the lil ailen dudes in insomnia.....
Somniferious could be the book name actualy : )
Old 05-23-2006, 03:53 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Stephin king forgot the face of his father, you read CELL? :P
I never thought he did scifi well, othere then maby the lil ailen dudes in insomnia.....
Somniferious could be the book name actualy : )
jdub420
05-30-2006, 11:14 AM

its all 19
Old 05-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

its all 19
05-30-2006, 01:04 PM

Thats funny because when i first heard Lost Keys i thought of Stephen King and his stories.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Thats funny because when i first heard Lost Keys i thought of Stephen King and his stories.
Tony's Avatar Tony
05-31-2006, 02:30 PM

Stephen King and Tool? Hey, thats a dangerous combination. There is only so much my happy zone in the brain can take.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Stephen King and Tool? Hey, thats a dangerous combination. There is only so much my happy zone in the brain can take.
tomhet
05-31-2006, 10:28 PM

SHIT WEASELS!!!!!!!!

That's one of the very few things of horror literature that gave me nightmares. I liked that novel, Dreamcatcher, a lot, it's very sad.

Shit, I haven't read DT7
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #18

SHIT WEASELS!!!!!!!!

That's one of the very few things of horror literature that gave me nightmares. I liked that novel, Dreamcatcher, a lot, it's very sad.

Shit, I haven't read DT7
The Official Fiction's Avatar The Official Fiction
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Same thing happened to me. Sounds and feels like the soundtrack to DT, definitely.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

Same thing happened to me. Sounds and feels like the soundtrack to DT, definitely.
06-05-2006, 07:03 AM

I really think that the right director could do beautiful things with a movie version of The Dark Tower series- though ussually Steven King movies can't hold a candle to their literary precursors. I know that they're not typically into that kind of thing, but if Tool provided the soundscape for such an undertaking, it would probably go a very long way toward establishing proper mood. Couldn't you just imagine Danny going nuts as the God Drums of Lud reach a fevered pitch . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 06-05-2006, 07:03 AM   #20
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

I really think that the right director could do beautiful things with a movie version of The Dark Tower series- though ussually Steven King movies can't hold a candle to their literary precursors. I know that they're not typically into that kind of thing, but if Tool provided the soundscape for such an undertaking, it would probably go a very long way toward establishing proper mood. Couldn't you just imagine Danny going nuts as the God Drums of Lud reach a fevered pitch . . .
But I'll pull through
paraflux
06-05-2006, 07:11 AM

As movies:
It = trash
The Langoliers = tolerable
The Tommyknockers = trash
The Stand series = tolerable (and mostly made tolerable with the character of Nadine)
All others = tolerable at best with the one gleaming example of The Shining which was made incredible by the 4 main actors and superb fucking direction. I'm kind of scared to see the DT series turn towards the movies because I wouldnt want to see it ruined. Peter Jackson would have to direct it. Roland would have to be played by a hardass and not come off as cheesy. That's gonna be hard to do.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #21
Banned.

As movies:
It = trash
The Stand series = tolerable (and mostly made tolerable with the character of Nadine)
All others = tolerable at best with the one gleaming example of The Shining which was made incredible by the 4 main actors and superb fucking direction. I'm kind of scared to see the DT series turn towards the movies because I wouldnt want to see it ruined. Peter Jackson would have to direct it. Roland would have to be played by a hardass and not come off as cheesy. That's gonna be hard to do.
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
As movies:
It = trash
Could Roland be anybody other than Clint Eastwood? Clint was the only spahetti-western actor that I've ever seen that could make Roland's gun skills look believable (it's not in the hands- it's in the mannerisms). As long as Jake wasn't played by that damned, "I see dead people" twirp, I think it could be a great epic of the silver screen. But I agree, King's novels have a terrible track record as movies, and Hollywood hasn't been able to generate the proper sentimentalities for quite some time now.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #22
Ron Swampson

Quote:
As movies:
It = trash
Could Roland be anybody other than Clint Eastwood? Clint was the only spahetti-western actor that I've ever seen that could make Roland's gun skills look believable (it's not in the hands- it's in the mannerisms). As long as Jake wasn't played by that damned, "I see dead people" twirp, I think it could be a great epic of the silver screen. But I agree, King's novels have a terrible track record as movies, and Hollywood hasn't been able to generate the proper sentimentalities for quite some time now.
But I'll pull through
paraflux
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM

It's been said by elevate (member of the board) that a younf Eastwood would be the only suitable character to play Roland. But I dont think Clint could keep up with the role anymore.

Just... please, could we get away from actors like Gary Sinise and Martin Sheen?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #23
Banned.

It's been said by elevate (member of the board) that a younf Eastwood would be the only suitable character to play Roland. But I dont think Clint could keep up with the role anymore.

Just... please, could we get away from actors like Gary Sinise and Martin Sheen?
06-05-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I don't know, Roland is none too young himslef in the saga, and Eastwood can be made to look younger. More important is that nobody has shown the cool eyes, the absolute calm, and the deadpan concentration that would be necessary to play The Gunslinger outside of Clint. Jack Pallance would make an excellent Walter. If done properly, it could be such a visual and intelectual treat: a clipped and hazy sequence of Clint tracking Jack across the punishing and expansive desert. Maybe Steve Buschemi as Brown, the desert dweller and owner of Zoltan, the raven. It would be expensive, and about ten movies, but it would be fuckin' killer.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #24
Ron Swampson

Quote:

I don't know, Roland is none too young himslef in the saga, and Eastwood can be made to look younger. More important is that nobody has shown the cool eyes, the absolute calm, and the deadpan concentration that would be necessary to play The Gunslinger outside of Clint. Jack Pallance would make an excellent Walter. If done properly, it could be such a visual and intelectual treat: a clipped and hazy sequence of Clint tracking Jack across the punishing and expansive desert. Maybe Steve Buschemi as Brown, the desert dweller and owner of Zoltan, the raven. It would be expensive, and about ten movies, but it would be fuckin' killer.
But I'll pull through
tomhet
06-05-2006, 11:52 AM

WAIT A FUCKING SECOND!!!!!

ARE THEY GOING TO FILM DT???????

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

By the way, I kinda remember that King himself suggested Eastwood for the role of Roland.

The soundtrack I have for the DT4 is Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", all those desolate places with the wind blowing.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #25

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

By the way, I kinda remember that King himself suggested Eastwood for the role of Roland.

The soundtrack I have for the DT4 is Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", all those desolate places with the wind blowing.
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

NO!

CALM DOWN!!

Pure speculation.

Change your pants.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #26
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

NO!

CALM DOWN!!

Pure speculation.

Change your pants.
But I'll pull through
Mr C's Avatar Mr C
06-05-2006, 02:57 PM

Did anyone in the US catch Desperation when it was ABC. Interested to know what it was like. Collie Entragan, crazy.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Did anyone in the US catch Desperation when it was ABC. Interested to know what it was like. Collie Entragan, crazy.
06-07-2006, 07:36 AM

Tower Junkies on the Tool site !?!?!

It is like Awesomeness overload ......

I named my son Jake Roland for all you DT fans :)

King said that he was tripping acid in college and went to see the good the bad and the ugly and when he saw Eastwood Roland was born....

I couldnt see anyone but Eastwood
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #28

Tower Junkies on the Tool site !?!?!

It is like Awesomeness overload ......

I named my son Jake Roland for all you DT fans :)

King said that he was tripping acid in college and went to see the good the bad and the ugly and when he saw Eastwood Roland was born....

I couldnt see anyone but Eastwood
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM

Dude you doomed your son to die twice, that's cruel...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #29
Banned.

Dude you doomed your son to die twice, that's cruel...
GreenBudsGreenTea's Avatar GreenBudsGreenTea
06-07-2006, 07:52 AM

Yes but :

A) He will not forget the face of his father
B) He will be awesome at Riddiling
C) He will only fear Slow Mutants and Psycho Monorails
Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #30

Yes but :

A) He will not forget the face of his father
B) He will be awesome at Riddiling
C) He will only fear Slow Mutants and Psycho Monorails
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr C
I caught it. It was...well...pretty close to the novel, but not as close as it could have been, as with all of the other King novel/novella/short story-based movies. (Except for "Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption". They managed to follow things pretty close.) Charles Durning was a good choice for the old man, I thought, and Colle Entragian was just as fucked up as with the novel.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 145

Quote:
I caught it. It was...well...pretty close to the novel, but not as close as it could have been, as with all of the other King novel/novella/short story-based movies. (Except for "Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption". They managed to follow things pretty close.) Charles Durning was a good choice for the old man, I thought, and Colle Entragian was just as fucked up as with the novel.
tomhet
06-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
Change your pants.
Done.

By the way, I have only read the first 6 books, haven't got my hands on the seventh, but did anybody else feel disappointed by the way things unfolded after the fourth volume? Like things were kinda rushed? I mean, book number 3 "The Waste Lands" was so full of mythical references, I missed that in 5 and 6. Or is it just me?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
Change your pants.
Done.

By the way, I have only read the first 6 books, haven't got my hands on the seventh, but did anybody else feel disappointed by the way things unfolded after the fourth volume? Like things were kinda rushed? I mean, book number 3 "The Waste Lands" was so full of mythical references, I missed that in 5 and 6. Or is it just me?
eulogys's Avatar eulogys
06-07-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I wish they had done "The Regulators" instead. I found that alot more enjoyable of a read then "Desperation". I still felt they did a good job with it though.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #33
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 206

Quote:
I wish they had done "The Regulators" instead. I found that alot more enjoyable of a read then "Desperation". I still felt they did a good job with it though.
06-07-2006, 08:43 AM

Let me say first that I love the series..........Probably my favorite books of all time...

That being said.....I did not like the rushed feel of the last few books and hated the treatment of book 7.....not so much the ending but the way things seemed to be rushed in the end....like King said "Sh*t I better end this thing in the next 100 pages"....I dont want to spoil so I wont go into detail but you will see in book 7 big time !!

Lets hope the Comic book King has planned with Marvel can "re-polish" the series a bit in my eyes
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #34

Let me say first that I love the series..........Probably my favorite books of all time...

That being said.....I did not like the rushed feel of the last few books and hated the treatment of book 7.....not so much the ending but the way things seemed to be rushed in the end....like King said "Sh*t I better end this thing in the next 100 pages"....I dont want to spoil so I wont go into detail but you will see in book 7 big time !!

Lets hope the Comic book King has planned with Marvel can "re-polish" the series a bit in my eyes
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM

"Time is a face on the water." excellent stuff.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

"Time is a face on the water." excellent stuff.
06-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBudsGreenTea

I don't know, that really didn't occur to me as I was reading it. The pace was fast, but it seemed to fit with the increasing necessity of drawing ever closer to a destination shrouded in the subversion of an already appocalyptic reality. The one moment that I found to be a bit scary (in terms of the direction of the plot) was when King began to incorporate himself. However, it didn't become license to non-sensically alter the plot, or provide an easy out to every difficult situation. I don't know if any of you ever read the Xanth series (Piers Anthony) when you were younger, but if you did, maybe you remember the advent of Ivy . . . Her one magical talent was that she could imbue characteristics upon a person or thing as long as she actually believed them to be true. Basically, all she had to do to get through a sticky situation was believe that she could and voila! I lost interest in the series at that point. Anyway, that's where I feared King might be going with his own inclusion in the plot- a carte blanche to melt adversity. But he didn't, and I read on gleefully.

And tomhet, get yourself that book, man. You're pissing on the face of your father! Kennnit?
But I'll pull through
Old 06-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #36
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBudsGreenTea

I don't know, that really didn't occur to me as I was reading it. The pace was fast, but it seemed to fit with the increasing necessity of drawing ever closer to a destination shrouded in the subversion of an already appocalyptic reality. The one moment that I found to be a bit scary (in terms of the direction of the plot) was when King began to incorporate himself. However, it didn't become license to non-sensically alter the plot, or provide an easy out to every difficult situation. I don't know if any of you ever read the Xanth series (Piers Anthony) when you were younger, but if you did, maybe you remember the advent of Ivy . . . Her one magical talent was that she could imbue characteristics upon a person or thing as long as she actually believed them to be true. Basically, all she had to do to get through a sticky situation was believe that she could and voila! I lost interest in the series at that point. Anyway, that's where I feared King might be going with his own inclusion in the plot- a carte blanche to melt adversity. But he didn't, and I read on gleefully.

And tomhet, get yourself that book, man. You're pissing on the face of your father! Kennnit?
But I'll pull through
06-07-2006, 09:57 AM

+++++ Spoilers For Dark Tower ++++++

I just felt that Mordred was built up and built up then died like that.....
Flaggs death was anti-climatic too ........ The Crimson King gets erased by Patrick Danville ?!?!? I mean he is pretty much evil incarnate but this kid can erase him ?!? WTF ??? and pretty much all of Insomnia is wrong ?!?!

Those were the parts I was like WTF....other then that it was brilliant
Old 06-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #37

+++++ Spoilers For Dark Tower ++++++

I just felt that Mordred was built up and built up then died like that.....
Flaggs death was anti-climatic too ........ The Crimson King gets erased by Patrick Danville ?!?!? I mean he is pretty much evil incarnate but this kid can erase him ?!? WTF ??? and pretty much all of Insomnia is wrong ?!?!

Those were the parts I was like WTF....other then that it was brilliant
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM

Maynard is a trig cove. I kind of wished I had stopped where he tells the reader, in book 7, that you could stop right there and leave the rest to your imagination. I was actually pissed for awhile, after all of that for it to end (so to speak) like that. I am at peace with it now and kind of like the "end". Clint Eastwood would have to play Roland.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #38
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Maynard is a trig cove. I kind of wished I had stopped where he tells the reader, in book 7, that you could stop right there and leave the rest to your imagination. I was actually pissed for awhile, after all of that for it to end (so to speak) like that. I am at peace with it now and kind of like the "end". Clint Eastwood would have to play Roland.
06-07-2006, 10:04 AM

If they did it right that movie series would be the better then LOTR and Star Wars put together..........

By the Way...I hate to hijack the board but what was your favorite of the books ??

Mine = Wizard and Glass
Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #39

If they did it right that movie series would be the better then LOTR and Star Wars put together..........

By the Way...I hate to hijack the board but what was your favorite of the books ??

Mine = Wizard and Glass
06-08-2006, 06:50 AM

Lost Keys reminds me of the King DT story where Roland is in a hospital and there are vampire-nurses trying to operate on him. I think this occurred after the first book when he executed the whole town. This story was in a collection of short stories called (I think) Everything's Eventual. The hospital (with the bugs from DT7) reminds me of Lost Keys. Also some of the album artwork reminds me of DT7 art like the Crimson King's throne of skulls. My fav. book was either Wastlands or Wizard and Glass.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Lost Keys reminds me of the King DT story where Roland is in a hospital and there are vampire-nurses trying to operate on him. I think this occurred after the first book when he executed the whole town. This story was in a collection of short stories called (I think) Everything's Eventual. The hospital (with the bugs from DT7) reminds me of Lost Keys. Also some of the album artwork reminds me of DT7 art like the Crimson King's throne of skulls. My fav. book was either Wastlands or Wizard and Glass.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply