Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Angel on the Sideline
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM

I really didn't know where to post this ... This place seems as good as any.

I was talking to a guy the other day who claimed to be a "professional studio drummer." This was in southern Indiana, mind you. Not a lot of high quality studios around.

Anyway, he appeared to be spaced out on some meds and we engaged in a discussion about music because he clearly looked like a metal-head and a musician. Since he was a drummer, I asked him who he was primarily influenced by. His answer was Neil Peart. As good an answer as any, I figure ... lots of drummers who are legendary in their own right cite Peart as a true drumming God.

Naturally I asked him about one Mr. Danny Carey. His response was, "who?" I explained that he is the drummer for TOOL. This dude then says, "Oh. He's a decent drummer, but he's got limited range."

As much as I wish I had a musical bone in my body ... I don't. I can't play any instrument. I know nothing about music other than what I personally like to listen to. But so many people discuss Danny's drumming in ways that make me know he without question has to be one of the best drummers in history. Where did this fucktard get the "limited range" comment? Is he completely full of shit, or am I missing something since I don't know how to play/arrange music?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Limited Range?

I really didn't know where to post this ... This place seems as good as any.

I was talking to a guy the other day who claimed to be a "professional studio drummer." This was in southern Indiana, mind you. Not a lot of high quality studios around.

Anyway, he appeared to be spaced out on some meds and we engaged in a discussion about music because he clearly looked like a metal-head and a musician. Since he was a drummer, I asked him who he was primarily influenced by. His answer was Neil Peart. As good an answer as any, I figure ... lots of drummers who are legendary in their own right cite Peart as a true drumming God.

Naturally I asked him about one Mr. Danny Carey. His response was, "who?" I explained that he is the drummer for TOOL. This dude then says, "Oh. He's a decent drummer, but he's got limited range."

As much as I wish I had a musical bone in my body ... I don't. I can't play any instrument. I know nothing about music other than what I personally like to listen to. But so many people discuss Danny's drumming in ways that make me know he without question has to be one of the best drummers in history. Where did this fucktard get the "limited range" comment? Is he completely full of shit, or am I missing something since I don't know how to play/arrange music?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
04-25-2013, 03:50 PM

I expect he probably meant limited as in the style of music he plays - he tends to play a lot of rock/metal but not much else.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619
Re: Limited Range?

I expect he probably meant limited as in the style of music he plays - he tends to play a lot of rock/metal but not much else.
04-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Im gonna have to agree with hellboy1975. Im a drummer and carey is really hard to play. He is really experienced with tabla drums which (im told) are really hard to learn. Carey uses alot of intricate accents to his beats. He also plays in different time sigs than 4/4. Now Pert is an amazing drummer but i dont find him as fun to play as carey, maybe i just dont like the music as much. Alot of Pert's beats seem too similar to me also. Carey's music style is the only thing ive seen that may be limited.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Im gonna have to agree with hellboy1975. Im a drummer and carey is really hard to play. He is really experienced with tabla drums which (im told) are really hard to learn. Carey uses alot of intricate accents to his beats. He also plays in different time sigs than 4/4. Now Pert is an amazing drummer but i dont find him as fun to play as carey, maybe i just dont like the music as much. Alot of Pert's beats seem too similar to me also. Carey's music style is the only thing ive seen that may be limited.
zombie
05-01-2013, 12:43 AM

I got into Tool because of the jazz influences in his drumming. The ride cymbal on Sweat hooked me.

Last edited by zombie; 05-01-2013 at 12:44 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Location: waiting for your mom to make me some goddamn breakfast
Bincount™: 2

I got into Tool because of the jazz influences in his drumming. The ride cymbal on Sweat hooked me.

Last edited by zombie; 05-01-2013 at 12:44 AM..
Angel on the Sideline
05-01-2013, 05:17 AM

Falling_Awake, that's what I thought ... I can't see where he is limited in his range in terms of his time signatures, accents, etc. He seems so incredibly versatile to me. Like you said, the mastering of the tablas alone seems like a significant achievement to a non-musician like me. Hey, I'm not hard to impress: If I could play so much as "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on a piano I'd run through the city screaming in a naked fit of jubilation. But he appears to have so much going on within the confines of his kit that I just couldn't get that dude's "limited range" statement.

zombie, I'd really like for you to explain the "jazz" comment. It might be difficult for you to convey in terms I can understand, but what are the jazz elements in Danny's drumming? That fascinates me and I'd love to listen for it ... but don't know what to listen for!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Falling_Awake, that's what I thought ... I can't see where he is limited in his range in terms of his time signatures, accents, etc. He seems so incredibly versatile to me. Like you said, the mastering of the tablas alone seems like a significant achievement to a non-musician like me. Hey, I'm not hard to impress: If I could play so much as "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on a piano I'd run through the city screaming in a naked fit of jubilation. But he appears to have so much going on within the confines of his kit that I just couldn't get that dude's "limited range" statement.

zombie, I'd really like for you to explain the "jazz" comment. It might be difficult for you to convey in terms I can understand, but what are the jazz elements in Danny's drumming? That fascinates me and I'd love to listen for it ... but don't know what to listen for!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply