Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
07.12.2010 - San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham

Reviews only, please.

SETLIST

Third Eye
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
carolynlph
07-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Same setlist as the others. All in all, a rockin' old-fashioned good time. I even got a beer thrown on me in the pit for good measure. Everyone was in good form and good spirits; Maynard asked for a show of under-21 hands and then pointed out that Intolerance was written before they were even born. We are so old. Danny threw one of his drum bits right near me and oh my god there was blood in the aisles. Maynard was swigging from a bottle of caduceus and sort of casually waving it at the crowd. Sing it with me:

Shut up and BUY! BUY! BUY! My new vintage!!!

Now when's the new album, bitches?!?!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.12.2010 - San Francisco, CA @ Bill Graham

Same setlist as the others. All in all, a rockin' old-fashioned good time. I even got a beer thrown on me in the pit for good measure. Everyone was in good form and good spirits; Maynard asked for a show of under-21 hands and then pointed out that Intolerance was written before they were even born. We are so old. Danny threw one of his drum bits right near me and oh my god there was blood in the aisles. Maynard was swigging from a bottle of caduceus and sort of casually waving it at the crowd. Sing it with me:

Shut up and BUY! BUY! BUY! My new vintage!!!

Now when's the new album, bitches?!?!
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM

Intolerance was fat as F@#K. Who doubts his yelling ability now, huh? You could see the anger in his face, in his contortions. It was beautiful. It was raw. Thank you Tool. You know how to hit my G-Spot.

The Patient is a whole different song live.

Third Eye was glorious.

Stinkfist was also cool a few bpm slower than usual.

Kinda hoped they had taken a more shuffled approach from when I peaked the NO setlist, and not since, but I can't complain, I just came from a Tool concert :D

Odd that they aren't playing a 2 hour set though.

Oh boy, I'm starting to complain...night fellas! Can't wait to hear the new songs, feels, moods, and creations the next time 'roud.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Intolerance was fat as F@#K. Who doubts his yelling ability now, huh? You could see the anger in his face, in his contortions. It was beautiful. It was raw. Thank you Tool. You know how to hit my G-Spot.

The Patient is a whole different song live.

Third Eye was glorious.

Stinkfist was also cool a few bpm slower than usual.

Kinda hoped they had taken a more shuffled approach from when I peaked the NO setlist, and not since, but I can't complain, I just came from a Tool concert :D

Odd that they aren't playing a 2 hour set though.

Oh boy, I'm starting to complain...night fellas! Can't wait to hear the new songs, feels, moods, and creations the next time 'roud.
OFFLINE |  
spacement's Avatar spacement
07-12-2010, 11:40 PM

I managed to stay away from the forum for the last month, so the setlist was a total surprise. WOW!!! Tool is back and better than I have seen them in ages. Third Eye was insane. Maynards vocals sounded great and he was in fine spirit. The band was on fire and played with passion. Junior and company did an outstanding job providing visuals that blend with the music and made a feats for the eyes. I am super bummed I missed Red Rocks (after the last few tours I wasn't up for traveling) but glad I get to see them again tomorrow at the Arco. I think tonight may have been the best show I've seen since the 2002 tour. Welcome back Tool.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I managed to stay away from the forum for the last month, so the setlist was a total surprise. WOW!!! Tool is back and better than I have seen them in ages. Third Eye was insane. Maynards vocals sounded great and he was in fine spirit. The band was on fire and played with passion. Junior and company did an outstanding job providing visuals that blend with the music and made a feats for the eyes. I am super bummed I missed Red Rocks (after the last few tours I wasn't up for traveling) but glad I get to see them again tomorrow at the Arco. I think tonight may have been the best show I've seen since the 2002 tour. Welcome back Tool.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
livid star's Avatar livid star
07-12-2010, 11:57 PM

No set list changes or surprises.

I swear Adam teased Pushit. I did not have a heart attack, I know better.

During Stinkfist, Adam went off on some tangent that lost me.

They sounded tight during Schism and Lateralus. I liked the crowd energy during those two songs.

Fuck general admission though. I couldn't secure an available seat and I am too fucking short for the floor.

Danny's beat down during Lateralus did not go unnoticed by the crowd. So much so that Nard goes "my turn" and proceeds to bang on his keyboard in an infantile manner.

This show is worth seeing again. Hey, what do you know..?

I can't wait for tomorrow.

THANK YOU TOOL!

From the bottom of my heart
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

No set list changes or surprises.

I swear Adam teased Pushit. I did not have a heart attack, I know better.

During Stinkfist, Adam went off on some tangent that lost me.

They sounded tight during Schism and Lateralus. I liked the crowd energy during those two songs.

Fuck general admission though. I couldn't secure an available seat and I am too fucking short for the floor.

Danny's beat down during Lateralus did not go unnoticed by the crowd. So much so that Nard goes "my turn" and proceeds to bang on his keyboard in an infantile manner.

This show is worth seeing again. Hey, what do you know..?

I can't wait for tomorrow.

THANK YOU TOOL!

From the bottom of my heart
07-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Setlist was:
Third Eye (with extended ending sequence)
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (extended version)
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance (with extended ending Lie Cheat & Steal jam)
Schism (extended version)
46 & 2
Lateralus (with DC solo!!)
Aenema

Overall, a really good show with a lot of differences from other shows. The visuals and lights were amazing. I especially liked watching just Danny Carey solo, instead of a special guest. Bummed I missed the opening band (Guantanamo Bay). I got the chance to meet the members of that band and Justin from Tool at the After Show party. A friend who works for them hooked me up with two tickets. Nothing really happened and people kind of slowly gave up waiting in the special waiting area for backstage passes and left. My girlfriend and I waited for almost an hour and then started wandering around backstage and met Justin....It was pretty cool and made up for the otherwise bummer of a potentially rad party. On to Sacramento! See all of you there!
09-30-02 Anchorage, AK, 05-02-06 Seattle, WA, 08-22-06 Vancouver, BC, 08-27-06 George, WA, 10-06-06 East Rutherford, NJ, 10-07-06 Wantagh, NY, 12-01-07 Victoria, BC, 12-04-07 Everett, WA, 12-05-07 Portland, OR, 12-07-07 Spokane, WA, 12-08-07 Nampa, ID, 12-11-07 San Francisco, CA, 07-10-10 Seattle, WA, 07-12-10 San Francisco, CA, 07-13-10 Sacramento, CA, 01-28-12 Boston, MA, 02-08-12 Duluth, GA

Last edited by BeyondTheInfinite; 07-13-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Setlist was:
Third Eye (with extended ending sequence)
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (extended version)
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance (with extended ending Lie Cheat & Steal jam)
Schism (extended version)
46 & 2
Lateralus (with DC solo!!)
Aenema

Overall, a really good show with a lot of differences from other shows. The visuals and lights were amazing. I especially liked watching just Danny Carey solo, instead of a special guest. Bummed I missed the opening band (Guantanamo Bay). I got the chance to meet the members of that band and Justin from Tool at the After Show party. A friend who works for them hooked me up with two tickets. Nothing really happened and people kind of slowly gave up waiting in the special waiting area for backstage passes and left. My girlfriend and I waited for almost an hour and then started wandering around backstage and met Justin....It was pretty cool and made up for the otherwise bummer of a potentially rad party. On to Sacramento! See all of you there!
09-30-02 Anchorage, AK, 05-02-06 Seattle, WA, 08-22-06 Vancouver, BC, 08-27-06 George, WA, 10-06-06 East Rutherford, NJ, 10-07-06 Wantagh, NY, 12-01-07 Victoria, BC, 12-04-07 Everett, WA, 12-05-07 Portland, OR, 12-07-07 Spokane, WA, 12-08-07 Nampa, ID, 12-11-07 San Francisco, CA, 07-10-10 Seattle, WA, 07-12-10 San Francisco, CA, 07-13-10 Sacramento, CA, 01-28-12 Boston, MA, 02-08-12 Duluth, GA

Last edited by BeyondTheInfinite; 07-13-2010 at 12:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  
sfbayareaconcerts
07-13-2010, 12:16 AM

here's a quick review i posted with a couple of videos.

enjoy

http://www.sfbayareaconcerts.com/2010/07/tool-bill-graham-civic-auditorium-71210.html
Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

enjoy

http://www.sfbayareaconcerts.com/2010/07/tool-bill-graham-civic-auditorium-71210.html
OFFLINE |  
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
07-13-2010, 12:33 AM

Interesting show. Same setlist:

Third Eye (extended)
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance (extended)
Schism (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus (extended [no drum jam])
Ænema

I was a few rows from the top, just to the side of center. My eyes were level with the top screen (the skinny one) and I could see down onto the stage perfectly. I was slightly peeved that a lot of people in my section were standing...what the hell for? There's nothing extra to see by standing. If you want to stand, go stand on the floor.

Third Eye: Epic. Maynard should bring out the 'time travel' stories for this song instead of Intolerance, because it felt like being back on the Ænima tour. Really simple lighting, and they only used the middle screen. And what the hell, I SWEAR they're using Milkdrop2 as the visualization for that song. Anyway, this was the highlight of the night. Tremendous performance. Maynard was not going crazy with the distorted vocals this time, he actually sang it pretty straight, and that was kind of refreshing actually.

Jambi: I don't know how the hell they made this song even heavier. This one had the place rocking hard.

Stinkfist: I <3 Adam's intro. I've heard a billion live versions of this song, sometimes they nail it and sometimes they don't. This time they nailed it.

Vicarious: I like the newer version of the intro they're doing on this tour. Also, Maynard did not sound like poop on this song, he was actually pretty good.

EBA/The Patient: Man, the visuals were super duper simple on this song, I was really surprised. They put Maynard's vocals WAY out in front for this track, it was awesome. Unfortunately, that meant I could hear his vocal effects clearly, and they have a weird envelope filter chipmunk sounding thing that makes Maynard sound younger. It was pretty mild on this song but later was a different story...it seemed like they kept increasing it, especially on Schism and Lateralus. Ugh. That had to be the only thing from the entire night that I really disliked.

Intolerance: Maynard asked if anyone was under 21. "You guys weren't even sperm when we wrote this next song" or something like that. Huge cheers. This song was so heavy and powerful, and Maynard was in top form. Really cool visuals too.

Schism: the intro was very "Lost Keys" sounding. I dig it. On a few bootlegs I've seen this written as "Maynard's Dick tease". Really?? Come on. I was really feeling this track for some reason. Maynard seemed into it.

Forty Six & 2: I can understand why they keep putting this in the setlist night after night, year after year: it rocks the fuckin' house. I'm almost tired of hearing it, but it still rocks. The thingy they put on the screens behind Danny during the drum solo was sweet, it was psychedelic and really popped.

intermission: loved the visuals! The crowd seemed really impatient though. I like to have a moment to chill out though.

Lateralus: I really dig Adam's intro, but I hate how he just completely stops it, and then the song starts up. I wish they'd link it. The extended section was flippin' awesome though, one of the BEST extended Lateralus renditions I've heard, and I have heard quite a few. After the extended part, Maynard goes up and says "ok, now it's my turn." He played one chord on the piano...then he started banging on it, and slammed his whole forearm down on the keyboard. Everyone's just looking at each other...and Maynard casually gave the signal to go on.

Ænema: Maynard's cheesy joke into Ænema. Another example of a song that no matter how many times I hear it, I'm still excited about it. It works well as a closer, too.

I felt like one song was missing somewhere, maybe after Forty Six & 2 or Lateralus. I think 2007 was a better show; more coherent, enveloping visuals, a better crowd, and a way more talkative Maynard. The setlist was about the same; Third Eye, The Patient, and Intolerance replaced Rosetta Stoned, Wings for Marie, and Flood and it was otherwise the same songs in a slightly different order.

Would've liked for something out of the ordinary to happen. Maybe a different song in the selist, a guest artist, I dunno. If it weren't for the internet I would have no idea about the setlist anyway--so I guess it's my own fault for killing any element of surprise. Although especially with their scaled back visuals, I'm surprised they haven't added anything to the setlist. If that's really what they're going to use as the visuals for Third Eye and The Patient, then hell, they can play anything from Eulogy to Parabola.

I really hope they do something different on the next tour. As much as I love them, they're starting to annoy me. I waited three years and they changed three songs in the setlist. The show is great but I wanna see more of your songs before you old fucks die! Okay, you played the Greatest Hits show, can't wait for the next album tour.

/spirals out
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Interesting show. Same setlist:

Third Eye (extended)
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance (extended)
Schism (extended)
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus (extended [no drum jam])
Ænema

I was a few rows from the top, just to the side of center. My eyes were level with the top screen (the skinny one) and I could see down onto the stage perfectly. I was slightly peeved that a lot of people in my section were standing...what the hell for? There's nothing extra to see by standing. If you want to stand, go stand on the floor.

Third Eye: Epic. Maynard should bring out the 'time travel' stories for this song instead of Intolerance, because it felt like being back on the Ænima tour. Really simple lighting, and they only used the middle screen. And what the hell, I SWEAR they're using Milkdrop2 as the visualization for that song. Anyway, this was the highlight of the night. Tremendous performance. Maynard was not going crazy with the distorted vocals this time, he actually sang it pretty straight, and that was kind of refreshing actually.

Jambi: I don't know how the hell they made this song even heavier. This one had the place rocking hard.

Stinkfist: I <3 Adam's intro. I've heard a billion live versions of this song, sometimes they nail it and sometimes they don't. This time they nailed it.

Vicarious: I like the newer version of the intro they're doing on this tour. Also, Maynard did not sound like poop on this song, he was actually pretty good.

EBA/The Patient: Man, the visuals were super duper simple on this song, I was really surprised. They put Maynard's vocals WAY out in front for this track, it was awesome. Unfortunately, that meant I could hear his vocal effects clearly, and they have a weird envelope filter chipmunk sounding thing that makes Maynard sound younger. It was pretty mild on this song but later was a different story...it seemed like they kept increasing it, especially on Schism and Lateralus. Ugh. That had to be the only thing from the entire night that I really disliked.

Intolerance: Maynard asked if anyone was under 21. "You guys weren't even sperm when we wrote this next song" or something like that. Huge cheers. This song was so heavy and powerful, and Maynard was in top form. Really cool visuals too.

Schism: the intro was very "Lost Keys" sounding. I dig it. On a few bootlegs I've seen this written as "Maynard's Dick tease". Really?? Come on. I was really feeling this track for some reason. Maynard seemed into it.

Forty Six & 2: I can understand why they keep putting this in the setlist night after night, year after year: it rocks the fuckin' house. I'm almost tired of hearing it, but it still rocks. The thingy they put on the screens behind Danny during the drum solo was sweet, it was psychedelic and really popped.

intermission: loved the visuals! The crowd seemed really impatient though. I like to have a moment to chill out though.

Lateralus: I really dig Adam's intro, but I hate how he just completely stops it, and then the song starts up. I wish they'd link it. The extended section was flippin' awesome though, one of the BEST extended Lateralus renditions I've heard, and I have heard quite a few. After the extended part, Maynard goes up and says "ok, now it's my turn." He played one chord on the piano...then he started banging on it, and slammed his whole forearm down on the keyboard. Everyone's just looking at each other...and Maynard casually gave the signal to go on.

Ænema: Maynard's cheesy joke into Ænema. Another example of a song that no matter how many times I hear it, I'm still excited about it. It works well as a closer, too.

I felt like one song was missing somewhere, maybe after Forty Six & 2 or Lateralus. I think 2007 was a better show; more coherent, enveloping visuals, a better crowd, and a way more talkative Maynard. The setlist was about the same; Third Eye, The Patient, and Intolerance replaced Rosetta Stoned, Wings for Marie, and Flood and it was otherwise the same songs in a slightly different order.

Would've liked for something out of the ordinary to happen. Maybe a different song in the selist, a guest artist, I dunno. If it weren't for the internet I would have no idea about the setlist anyway--so I guess it's my own fault for killing any element of surprise. Although especially with their scaled back visuals, I'm surprised they haven't added anything to the setlist. If that's really what they're going to use as the visuals for Third Eye and The Patient, then hell, they can play anything from Eulogy to Parabola.

I really hope they do something different on the next tour. As much as I love them, they're starting to annoy me. I waited three years and they changed three songs in the setlist. The show is great but I wanna see more of your songs before you old fucks die! Okay, you played the Greatest Hits show, can't wait for the next album tour.

/spirals out
07-13-2010, 12:49 AM

My 6th Tool show and definitely the best! What an awesome performance. Opening with Third Eye is such a strong way to start the show but the rest of it was just brutal. Danny is a machine and the whole band gets a really powerful sound going. The floor was a great place to take it all in. Wow.

Highlights:

*Third Eye with the extended part at the end is fucking brilliant. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow night in Sacramento just to see this song live again.

*Adam nailed the talkbox solo in Jambi - very impressive.

*Extended part of Stinkfist. Danny goes nuts and the visuals do too.

*The Patient. I have never seen this live before but it was so good tonight. Seems much heavier live and their execution was pretty much flawless.

*Intolerance!!! Maynardism beforehand: "Pop quiz for ya. Who here is under 21....? You guys were all sperm when this next song was first written". Classic. Maynard was really strong with the "Lie, cheat, steal" lines all throughout. Very good. Wow again.

*Extended bit in Schism. Danny again goes crazy.

*46 & 2. Danny goes crazy at the end yet again.

*Aenema. Perfect song to finish.

The band took the stage at exactly 9:10pm on my watch and finished 46 & 2 right on 10:27pm. In those 77 minutes they had only played 8 songs and intro's but, more importantly, each song was done so well. They really are on their game.

Lowlights:

*Jello Biafra's funny dancing. I didn't really care but I did want to tell him he ruined my Schism dvd with his crappy 'special guest' commentary...

*Security make you check in cameras and go out of their way shining flashlights in people's faces if they see a camera or phone during the show but they have no issue with people lighting up joints right in front of them all night long. I just find that odd.

*Not really a lowlight but I feel sorry for the girl who passed out near the sound board about 1 minute before the house lights went down. Her boyfriend didn't look too happy with her...

Otherwise, I hope some of the intro stuff and that intermission thing that sounds like an alien spacecraft make their way into the next Tool recording provided it doesn't eat up too much time etc. Overall though, a stunning show.

See you in Sacramento!

Peace.
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

My 6th Tool show and definitely the best! What an awesome performance. Opening with Third Eye is such a strong way to start the show but the rest of it was just brutal. Danny is a machine and the whole band gets a really powerful sound going. The floor was a great place to take it all in. Wow.

Highlights:

*Third Eye with the extended part at the end is fucking brilliant. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow night in Sacramento just to see this song live again.

*Extended part of Stinkfist. Danny goes nuts and the visuals do too.

*The Patient. I have never seen this live before but it was so good tonight. Seems much heavier live and their execution was pretty much flawless.

*Intolerance!!! Maynardism beforehand: "Pop quiz for ya. Who here is under 21....? You guys were all sperm when this next song was first written". Classic. Maynard was really strong with the "Lie, cheat, steal" lines all throughout. Very good. Wow again.

*Extended bit in Schism. Danny again goes crazy.

*46 & 2. Danny goes crazy at the end yet again.

*Aenema. Perfect song to finish.

The band took the stage at exactly 9:10pm on my watch and finished 46 & 2 right on 10:27pm. In those 77 minutes they had only played 8 songs and intro's but, more importantly, each song was done so well. They really are on their game.

Lowlights:

*Jello Biafra's funny dancing. I didn't really care but I did want to tell him he ruined my Schism dvd with his crappy 'special guest' commentary...

*Security make you check in cameras and go out of their way shining flashlights in people's faces if they see a camera or phone during the show but they have no issue with people lighting up joints right in front of them all night long. I just find that odd.

*Not really a lowlight but I feel sorry for the girl who passed out near the sound board about 1 minute before the house lights went down. Her boyfriend didn't look too happy with her...

Otherwise, I hope some of the intro stuff and that intermission thing that sounds like an alien spacecraft make their way into the next Tool recording provided it doesn't eat up too much time etc. Overall though, a stunning show.

See you in Sacramento!

Peace.
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
07-13-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynlph View Post
Maynard asked for a show of under-21 hands and then pointed out that Intolerance was written before they were even born.
Yeah, that was a great lead-in to Intolerance.

I think the phrase he used was that for those under-21, the song was written "when you were still sperm".
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynlph View Post
Maynard asked for a show of under-21 hands and then pointed out that Intolerance was written before they were even born.
Yeah, that was a great lead-in to Intolerance.

I think the phrase he used was that for those under-21, the song was written "when you were still sperm".
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
07-13-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw View Post

When I first stood in lines, and heard the no-camera policy, I got out of line, went back to my car, and put away the camera.

I ended up getting a worse spot in line.

But then at the show, I saw a ton of people taking pictures with cameras, and none of them were scolded at by security. Some people next to me were taking a lot of pictures too.

Not just with cell phone cameras, but with regular ones too.

I was in the top floor, in the front row on one of the sides.

I even saw a few cameras being used on the floor. What was everyone else's impression of how cameras were being used?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

When I first stood in lines, and heard the no-camera policy, I got out of line, went back to my car, and put away the camera.

I ended up getting a worse spot in line.

But then at the show, I saw a ton of people taking pictures with cameras, and none of them were scolded at by security. Some people next to me were taking a lot of pictures too.

Not just with cell phone cameras, but with regular ones too.

I was in the top floor, in the front row on one of the sides.

I even saw a few cameras being used on the floor. What was everyone else's impression of how cameras were being used?
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
07-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Great show. I'm kicking myself for accidentally seeing the setlist a month ago. I know I would have loved surprises like "Third Eye", "Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient", and "Intolerance".

Especially since I had never heard those songs before live.

Interesting that during "Schism", they played an uptempo jam. They didn't do that during the other times I've seen this live.

Maynard always seems to lose his voice at the end of "Vicarious".

But, his vocals were fantastic during "Intolerance". Wow.

My my watch, they played from 9:07 pm = 10:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Great show. I'm kicking myself for accidentally seeing the setlist a month ago. I know I would have loved surprises like "Third Eye", "Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient", and "Intolerance".

Interesting that during "Schism", they played an uptempo jam. They didn't do that during the other times I've seen this live.

OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post

If he can angrily yell, "Lie, cheat, and steal," he can sing the ending to Vicarious. I just think he's just egging on the crowd to sing for the irony of the lyrics, like an open admission to the song's content.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

If he can angrily yell, "Lie, cheat, and steal," he can sing the ending to Vicarious. I just think he's just egging on the crowd to sing for the irony of the lyrics, like an open admission to the song's content.
OFFLINE |  
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
07-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Oh yeah, that's one thing I forgot to put in my review.

The way Maynard gestures during the ending of Vicarious...it's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that he's showing the point of the song by having you sing it: "Much better you than I"
Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:

The way Maynard gestures during the ending of Vicarious...it's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that he's showing the point of the song by having you sing it: "Much better you than I"
07-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Basically the same as every other show, same set list, same "Maynardisms"

Pretty decent show, I really liked the new visualizations/videos that they had going in the background. It was good to see a lot of songs from Lateralus. The Patient, Schism, Lateralus - all awesome choices. I would have liked more 10000 days though (Right in Two, Rosetta Stoned, 10000 days!). Maynard's vocals were spot on (and therefore amazing). I felt like the drums / bass were not loud enough, and maynard at times was not loud enough.

Awesome job w/ the no camera rule, and there were not a lot of douce-bags at the show either which was good. I guess i missed the memo on wearing a black tool t-shirt :P.

I have to say that I liked the show that they did in Vancouver when 10000 days first came out more than this show. I think this venue wasn't big enough or something, it just felt a little off.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Basically the same as every other show, same set list, same "Maynardisms"

Pretty decent show, I really liked the new visualizations/videos that they had going in the background. It was good to see a lot of songs from Lateralus. The Patient, Schism, Lateralus - all awesome choices. I would have liked more 10000 days though (Right in Two, Rosetta Stoned, 10000 days!). Maynard's vocals were spot on (and therefore amazing). I felt like the drums / bass were not loud enough, and maynard at times was not loud enough.

Awesome job w/ the no camera rule, and there were not a lot of douce-bags at the show either which was good. I guess i missed the memo on wearing a black tool t-shirt :P.

I have to say that I liked the show that they did in Vancouver when 10000 days first came out more than this show. I think this venue wasn't big enough or something, it just felt a little off.
OFFLINE |  
Frances the Gemini
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Amazing show, my first tool concert and I was blown away. Third Eye was possibly the best opener they could have had and the crowd went absolutely crazy during the prying open my third eye bit.

Maynard sounded amazing especially on intolerance and stinkfist. Justin and Adam both had amazing tones and top notch playing but Danny's drumming was out of this world, especially on schism.

Overall I had the time of my life and can't wait to see them again.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show, my first tool concert and I was blown away. Third Eye was possibly the best opener they could have had and the crowd went absolutely crazy during the prying open my third eye bit.

Maynard sounded amazing especially on intolerance and stinkfist. Justin and Adam both had amazing tones and top notch playing but Danny's drumming was out of this world, especially on schism.

Overall I had the time of my life and can't wait to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM

I have to say, Maynard was probably the most clear, and on top of the mix out of any of the Tool shows I've seen. Good job soundguys!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

I have to say, Maynard was probably the most clear, and on top of the mix out of any of the Tool shows I've seen. Good job soundguys!
OFFLINE |  
Triptolemus's Avatar Triptolemus
07-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayareaconcerts View Post

enjoy

You're that douche holdin' your fucking iPhone up in front of my face every two minutes... and texting... and taking pictures... and holding it up some more. Fuck, I hate you guys. Someone else here on tdn said it best: do you think anyone truly gives a shit about your grainy, out-of-focus, tilted, shitty camera phone pic?

Everyone single one of you with your fucking cameras and phones out so DO NOT get the point. Not only that, but its disrespectful to the band (like you could be bothered to care) and annoying/disrespectful to the people around you. Because you live life through that little screen doesn't mean everyone else does. How terrible for you. I, for one, have no problem telling people to put that shit away. And they do.

Otherwise great vibe from the crowd. Not at all like the last Reno show...

Everyone has said everything about the show - the band was on fire, Maynard still has it, period. Danny's a god, Justin and Adam may, in fact, be from outer space. What can be said of junior - that really was beautiful... I'd sure like to sit in on one of his creative meetings.

Cheers to the 20-25 tool folks who took over the bar at the Hotel Whitcomb! Good times! THis 13 year old kid going to his first tool show - totally cool, sitting at a table with one of the hottest chicks in the bar and tottaly not failing! His dad was cool for bringing him.

Weasel?!?! Where you at? See you in Vegas!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayareaconcerts View Post

enjoy

You're that douche holdin' your fucking iPhone up in front of my face every two minutes... and texting... and taking pictures... and holding it up some more. Fuck, I hate you guys. Someone else here on tdn said it best: do you think anyone truly gives a shit about your grainy, out-of-focus, tilted, shitty camera phone pic?

Everyone single one of you with your fucking cameras and phones out so DO NOT get the point. Not only that, but its disrespectful to the band (like you could be bothered to care) and annoying/disrespectful to the people around you. Because you live life through that little screen doesn't mean everyone else does. How terrible for you. I, for one, have no problem telling people to put that shit away. And they do.

Otherwise great vibe from the crowd. Not at all like the last Reno show...

Everyone has said everything about the show - the band was on fire, Maynard still has it, period. Danny's a god, Justin and Adam may, in fact, be from outer space. What can be said of junior - that really was beautiful... I'd sure like to sit in on one of his creative meetings.

Cheers to the 20-25 tool folks who took over the bar at the Hotel Whitcomb! Good times! THis 13 year old kid going to his first tool show - totally cool, sitting at a table with one of the hottest chicks in the bar and tottaly not failing! His dad was cool for bringing him.

Weasel?!?! Where you at? See you in Vegas!
OFFLINE |  
warofwords
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Am I the only one who thought the crowd was not into it at all? This was my third TOOL show and it seemed liked the weakest crowd. Almost like no one recognized any of the songs. Maybe it was just my section. Other then that, awesome show. Loved Third Eye as an opener.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Am I the only one who thought the crowd was not into it at all? This was my third TOOL show and it seemed liked the weakest crowd. Almost like no one recognized any of the songs. Maybe it was just my section. Other then that, awesome show. Loved Third Eye as an opener.
OFFLINE |  
dvg1984
07-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Paid 110 for my SF ticket. Didn't care because it's Tool. Saw them at Shoreline in Nov. of 2001, but that is a really shitty place to see tool. Way too cold in Nov., far away, and the sound sucks even from front row on the grass. I have fond memories seeing the Grudge live though. Bill Graham Civic was the perfect venue to see them.

Got there early in my opinion, but the line was still around the block going across the street. Wow! I was set for this show, brought my snacks, my water, but what the fuck! NO WATER BOTTLES ALLOWED? I'm thinking Maynard probably got hit by a projectile water bottle or something at previous show. Anyways, it's painful throwing out two big brand new water bottles. Then of course, no cameras, but all I did was shove the camera front and center down my pants. Easy. No problem! Got to get a picture, right? The set looked amazing! I thought it was funny as hell when anytime anybody tried to film with their smuggled in cameras they were swarmed by security guards shining flashlights and laser pointers. They had an arsenal of water bottles too! Flinging the water on the suspected filmer in an attempt to short out his or her camera! Like what the fuck? give it up already security. Yea but like someone said earlier, people were firing up joints left and right.

First band, not so good, had to stick in some makeshift ear plugs for those guys. Then tool came on. BADASS!!! MAynard came out . Police uniform. Foot high mohawk. Wine Bottle. Third Eye. Wow! IT was a sight! Stinkfist is always cool, played out as much as it is, it is the reason I first knew of tool, 1996 6th grade yea, when I first got into them! Vicarious and Schism were highlights for sure. But the absolute, in my opinion, was Intolerance and 46 and 2! Great show! Maynard was messing around with his vocals, sometimes I couldn't hear him. Oh well, he made up for it. He's starting to do the Black Sabbath bit, where he has the audience sing the best parts on a couple songs. Not a complaint, just an observation.

You know, maybe I've killed it, because I watch so much Tool on damn Youtube, but I think they need to give songs from Lateralus, including Lateralus a break. I've played them out, but that's my own fault. Damn! Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I wished they played more songs from Undertow, Opiate and goddamn I wish they would just play Jimmy and Swamp Song, I love those songs!

It was a nice warm night in the city too. Appreciate that coming out totally soaked. Great time!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Paid 110 for my SF ticket. Didn't care because it's Tool. Saw them at Shoreline in Nov. of 2001, but that is a really shitty place to see tool. Way too cold in Nov., far away, and the sound sucks even from front row on the grass. I have fond memories seeing the Grudge live though. Bill Graham Civic was the perfect venue to see them.

Got there early in my opinion, but the line was still around the block going across the street. Wow! I was set for this show, brought my snacks, my water, but what the fuck! NO WATER BOTTLES ALLOWED? I'm thinking Maynard probably got hit by a projectile water bottle or something at previous show. Anyways, it's painful throwing out two big brand new water bottles. Then of course, no cameras, but all I did was shove the camera front and center down my pants. Easy. No problem! Got to get a picture, right? The set looked amazing! I thought it was funny as hell when anytime anybody tried to film with their smuggled in cameras they were swarmed by security guards shining flashlights and laser pointers. They had an arsenal of water bottles too! Flinging the water on the suspected filmer in an attempt to short out his or her camera! Like what the fuck? give it up already security. Yea but like someone said earlier, people were firing up joints left and right.

First band, not so good, had to stick in some makeshift ear plugs for those guys. Then tool came on. BADASS!!! MAynard came out . Police uniform. Foot high mohawk. Wine Bottle. Third Eye. Wow! IT was a sight! Stinkfist is always cool, played out as much as it is, it is the reason I first knew of tool, 1996 6th grade yea, when I first got into them! Vicarious and Schism were highlights for sure. But the absolute, in my opinion, was Intolerance and 46 and 2! Great show! Maynard was messing around with his vocals, sometimes I couldn't hear him. Oh well, he made up for it. He's starting to do the Black Sabbath bit, where he has the audience sing the best parts on a couple songs. Not a complaint, just an observation.

You know, maybe I've killed it, because I watch so much Tool on damn Youtube, but I think they need to give songs from Lateralus, including Lateralus a break. I've played them out, but that's my own fault. Damn! Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I wished they played more songs from Undertow, Opiate and goddamn I wish they would just play Jimmy and Swamp Song, I love those songs!

It was a nice warm night in the city too. Appreciate that coming out totally soaked. Great time!
OFFLINE |  
soreal
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Another great show. Intolerance is fucking amazing. Talked to jello and they have been rehearsing a song to do. If its ready for tonight it will be played in sac.

Thanks Jose for coppin me a signed poster.

Sactown bound.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Another great show. Intolerance is fucking amazing. Talked to jello and they have been rehearsing a song to do. If its ready for tonight it will be played in sac.

Thanks Jose for coppin me a signed poster.

Sactown bound.
OFFLINE |  
The Embryo 2's Avatar The Embryo 2
07-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Overall this was a better show than the second RR gig. It was great to hear INT/RIT but The Patient and Intolerance KILLS.

MJK was out front of the mix and in the right spot.

They played nearly a full 2 hours.

I dont' bother trying to compare these shows to other tours. That's a great way to drive yourself crazy and set yourself up for disappointment.

Live in the moment (or at least the same leg of the same tour.)

All of the extended versions were longer than RR and I'm sure we heard some fragments of new songs being worked on.

Top 8 Tool shows for me. (out of 18)

Can't wait for SD!
08/07/93 - 11/20/94 - 11/09/96 - 06/25/97 - 03/29/98 - 08/03/01 -10/9/01 - 10/10/01 - 11/09/02 - 05/08/06 - 11/09/06 - 06/25/07 - 05/29/07 - 6/01/07 - 06/02/07 - 07/22/09 - 08/08/09 - 06/29/10 - 07/12/10 - 07/15/10- 01/14/2012 - 03/12/2014 - 03/13/2014 - 03/16/2014 - 10/22/2015 - 06/21/2017- 10/13/19 - 10/21/19 - 11/24/19 - 01/15/20 - 02/05/22 - 03/03/22

Corex says:
June 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

"Yeah Tool is fucking amazing. But there’s a big chunk of their fan base that think they’ve become thought provoking geniuses just from listening to them."
Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #22
Level 10 - Vehement

Overall this was a better show than the second RR gig. It was great to hear INT/RIT but The Patient and Intolerance KILLS.

MJK was out front of the mix and in the right spot.

They played nearly a full 2 hours.

I dont' bother trying to compare these shows to other tours. That's a great way to drive yourself crazy and set yourself up for disappointment.

Live in the moment (or at least the same leg of the same tour.)

All of the extended versions were longer than RR and I'm sure we heard some fragments of new songs being worked on.

Top 8 Tool shows for me. (out of 18)

Can't wait for SD!
08/07/93 - 11/20/94 - 11/09/96 - 06/25/97 - 03/29/98 - 08/03/01 -10/9/01 - 10/10/01 - 11/09/02 - 05/08/06 - 11/09/06 - 06/25/07 - 05/29/07 - 6/01/07 - 06/02/07 - 07/22/09 - 08/08/09 - 06/29/10 - 07/12/10 - 07/15/10- 01/14/2012 - 03/12/2014 - 03/13/2014 - 03/16/2014 - 10/22/2015 - 06/21/2017- 10/13/19 - 10/21/19 - 11/24/19 - 01/15/20 - 02/05/22 - 03/03/22

Corex says:
June 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

"Yeah Tool is fucking amazing. But there’s a big chunk of their fan base that think they’ve become thought provoking geniuses just from listening to them."
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm just realizing it's over.

Dammit.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'm just realizing it's over.

Dammit.
OFFLINE |  
Frances the Gemini
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warofwords View Post
I was near Adam in the front and everyone around me seem to know every song shouting the lyrics and stuff, they seemed really into it, where were you in the crowd?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warofwords View Post
I was near Adam in the front and everyone around me seem to know every song shouting the lyrics and stuff, they seemed really into it, where were you in the crowd?
OFFLINE |  
sprucemoose3311's Avatar sprucemoose3311
07-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Awesome show. Jello Biafra dressed in a Bart Police tshirt and Maynard dressed as Johannes Mehserle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Po...of_Oscar_Grant).
Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 59

Awesome show. Jello Biafra dressed in a Bart Police tshirt and Maynard dressed as Johannes Mehserle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Po...of_Oscar_Grant).
07-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Interesting interpretation, musicmansf. You are probably right.

When they did "Vicarious" in 2007, it was at the end of their setlist, so when I thought Maynard "lost his voice" at the end, I thought it was because he was just tired after a long setlist.

But today, because he did great on vocals on "Intolerance", after "Vicarious", it probably means that he didn't lose his vocals. Your interpretation is probably correct, he wants the crowd to sing that line.

BTW, nusense was correct in the other thread. Justin did chug a beer, while strumming the bass during the transition in "Lateralus".

Last edited by nuraman00; 07-13-2010 at 08:18 PM..
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Interesting interpretation, musicmansf. You are probably right.

When they did "Vicarious" in 2007, it was at the end of their setlist, so when I thought Maynard "lost his voice" at the end, I thought it was because he was just tired after a long setlist.

But today, because he did great on vocals on "Intolerance", after "Vicarious", it probably means that he didn't lose his vocals. Your interpretation is probably correct, he wants the crowd to sing that line.

BTW, nusense was correct in the other thread. Justin did chug a beer, while strumming the bass during the transition in "Lateralus".

Last edited by nuraman00; 07-13-2010 at 08:18 PM..
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
07-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

As I said in my other post, I must just be missing this. Good observation, thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

As I said in my other post, I must just be missing this. Good observation, thanks.
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
07-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Agree, I think this was his best vocal performance.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Agree, I think this was his best vocal performance.
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
07-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:

What part exactly of the song is this? I just want to make sure I now.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
07-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
the part where he does a guitar solo using a talkbox
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #30
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
the part where he does a guitar solo using a talkbox
07-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheInfinite View Post
Bummed I missed the opening band (Guantanamo Bay).
Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine. I was pretty floored that the guy had a new band, much less that they opened for Tool. Maybe that means he's finally moved on from the Kennedys as they moved on from him.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheInfinite View Post
Bummed I missed the opening band (Guantanamo Bay).
Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine. I was pretty floored that the guy had a new band, much less that they opened for Tool. Maybe that means he's finally moved on from the Kennedys as they moved on from him.
OFFLINE |  
dvg1984
07-14-2010, 09:59 AM

On one song Maynard looked like he was directing air craft like on an aircraft carrier. Doing some air traffic control moves. Anyone remember that song? It was cool to watch.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

On one song Maynard looked like he was directing air craft like on an aircraft carrier. Doing some air traffic control moves. Anyone remember that song? It was cool to watch.
OFFLINE |  
livid star's Avatar livid star
07-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg1984 View Post
Stinkfist is always cool, played out as much as it is, it is the reason I first knew of tool, 1996 6th grade yea, when I first got into them!
We are two peas from the same pod. Awesome!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Stinkfist is always cool, played out as much as it is, it is the reason I first knew of tool, 1996 6th grade yea, when I first got into them!
We are two peas from the same pod. Awesome!
07-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Jambi
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Jambi
OFFLINE |  
honky
07-16-2010, 12:25 AM

Did anyone notice the similarities between Maynard introducing Jello in 2008 and introducing Intolerance this time? It was weird because I told the story over beers before the show:

2008--"A show of hands...How many of you here are 21 or younger? OK, none of you are going to have any idea what the fuck we're talking about right now. Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys...." and they proceeded to play Holiday in Cambodia.

2010--Jello opens, the Melvins just finished a tour in SJ 2 days prior, and I'm thinking we've got the table (stage, whatever the fuck) set for another special guest/bonus song of sorts. Halfway through the show he begins a nearly identical intro as HIC '08, but instead went into Intolerance. It was an odd, deja vu-esque (ha!) feeling that went from weird familiarity, to confusion, to excitement, then almost being halfway letdown at not hearing something off-kilter, to mentally slapping myself in the face wondering how the fuck I could possibly be bummed about them ripping into Intolerance live in front of me for the first time. (this all occured in about a nano-second of course.) Flash back, to mixed up, to confused, to super fucking pumped. Apologies, as that was a lot of explanation for a short moment in time....good ol' language...just been wondering if anyone else noticed, had caught that, etc.

Was on the floor last time. Sat up top this time, alternating between a spot wayyy on the left side up high, with front row on the railing about halfway to the staqe, Justin side. Hanging over the front row railing, feeling like I was a crane shot panning and swooping over the crowd with an unobstructed view above sweating sardines gasping for some of the air that we had flowing open and all around us makes me want to see every show over again from that view. Floating over everyone, the floor just looked tiring, CROWDed (no shit, huh?!), partial views and inferior sound. The venue is just small enough to not require that police barricade-lined fire path of sorts--which probably made being down there even more packed, harder to breathe, etc.--but made for a really killer looking solid sea of people from up top. The place was packed to the fucking rafters... Maybe I just had a really good fucking time and my faith is completely restored? (although the last show in SF with added Flood and Holiday in Cambodia gave them a much needed boost after seeing 6 10k Days shows) Maybe seats are better for TOOL considering visuals, pristine sound quality, complexity, musicianship, desire to pay attention, realization that I'm not at Burnt Ramen pounding PBRs and throwing them at the bands? Maybe I'm actually getting older and the floor--for the first time ever--didn't appear worth the hassle? To whoever asked why someone would stand in seats: I ask how you can sit down at a TOOL show?? Music makes me move and getting up is like the first involuntary phase in said movement. However, to the people moshing to The Patient: I ask what the fuck is wrong with you? (I ask that to the TOOL moshers, period, really.) Perhaps these people are a factor in the appeal of the seats? So many useless questions about the past, so much satisfaction regardless of the answers...

ANYWAY...thanks fellas...So good to see you...I'd missed you sooo much...So glad the 10,000 Days tour is finally fucking over....you opened with Third Eye and I'd missed you so much.... :D til next time....
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #35

Did anyone notice the similarities between Maynard introducing Jello in 2008 and introducing Intolerance this time? It was weird because I told the story over beers before the show:

2008--"A show of hands...How many of you here are 21 or younger? OK, none of you are going to have any idea what the fuck we're talking about right now. Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys...." and they proceeded to play Holiday in Cambodia.

2010--Jello opens, the Melvins just finished a tour in SJ 2 days prior, and I'm thinking we've got the table (stage, whatever the fuck) set for another special guest/bonus song of sorts. Halfway through the show he begins a nearly identical intro as HIC '08, but instead went into Intolerance. It was an odd, deja vu-esque (ha!) feeling that went from weird familiarity, to confusion, to excitement, then almost being halfway letdown at not hearing something off-kilter, to mentally slapping myself in the face wondering how the fuck I could possibly be bummed about them ripping into Intolerance live in front of me for the first time. (this all occured in about a nano-second of course.) Flash back, to mixed up, to confused, to super fucking pumped. Apologies, as that was a lot of explanation for a short moment in time....good ol' language...just been wondering if anyone else noticed, had caught that, etc.

Was on the floor last time. Sat up top this time, alternating between a spot wayyy on the left side up high, with front row on the railing about halfway to the staqe, Justin side. Hanging over the front row railing, feeling like I was a crane shot panning and swooping over the crowd with an unobstructed view above sweating sardines gasping for some of the air that we had flowing open and all around us makes me want to see every show over again from that view. Floating over everyone, the floor just looked tiring, CROWDed (no shit, huh?!), partial views and inferior sound. The venue is just small enough to not require that police barricade-lined fire path of sorts--which probably made being down there even more packed, harder to breathe, etc.--but made for a really killer looking solid sea of people from up top. The place was packed to the fucking rafters... Maybe I just had a really good fucking time and my faith is completely restored? (although the last show in SF with added Flood and Holiday in Cambodia gave them a much needed boost after seeing 6 10k Days shows) Maybe seats are better for TOOL considering visuals, pristine sound quality, complexity, musicianship, desire to pay attention, realization that I'm not at Burnt Ramen pounding PBRs and throwing them at the bands? Maybe I'm actually getting older and the floor--for the first time ever--didn't appear worth the hassle? To whoever asked why someone would stand in seats: I ask how you can sit down at a TOOL show?? Music makes me move and getting up is like the first involuntary phase in said movement. However, to the people moshing to The Patient: I ask what the fuck is wrong with you? (I ask that to the TOOL moshers, period, really.) Perhaps these people are a factor in the appeal of the seats? So many useless questions about the past, so much satisfaction regardless of the answers...

ANYWAY...thanks fellas...So good to see you...I'd missed you sooo much...So glad the 10,000 Days tour is finally fucking over....you opened with Third Eye and I'd missed you so much.... :D til next time....
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
07-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky View Post
TOTALLY! I was thinking the same thing.

And there was a special appearance when they played in Sacto. And OMG, was it godly!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky View Post

And there was a special appearance when they played in Sacto. And OMG, was it godly!
07-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post

Did I miss something?! What are you referring to?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post

OFFLINE |  
godhenry
07-16-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
the lateralus breakdown slash dnb battle with the weiss brothers.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
the lateralus breakdown slash dnb battle with the weiss brothers.
07-16-2010, 05:14 PM

I didn't mention in my first review post, but the way they ended the intermission was awesome. I would've sat there for another five minutes listening to them twiddle the knobs on the electronics. Hell, I would attend an entire show that was nothing but them making electronic noise.

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #39
Level 11 - Clamorous

I didn't mention in my first review post, but the way they ended the intermission was awesome. I would've sat there for another five minutes listening to them twiddle the knobs on the electronics. Hell, I would attend an entire show that was nothing but them making electronic noise.

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:25 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sarahethan
07-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Where, please?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Where, please?
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread