Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 09. Intension
User Name
Password
Let Bob help you
08-31-2018, 06:07 AM

Hello everyone,

I always love seeing how other people experience Tool, so I figured some of you might be interested in one of the ways I experience the track 'Intension'. I know that there are a lot of different possibilities, alternative interpretations and experiences and that this is just one of many.

This (partial) way of experiencing Intension requires one to link the song to 'The Grudge' from Tool's Lateralus album and gives the intension (or internal content of a concept) of a grudge.

Intension starts with the lines "Pure as we begin". For me this implies that we are born as we are, without grudges to hold against people and thus in our purest form.

The next verse states "Here we have a stone. Gather, place and raise, so shelter turns to home". This could refer to us acquiring a grudge, which we hold on to until it becomes an essential part of our character. After which the stone becomes a cornerstone.

The third verse tells us how we use our grudge to keep others away so we prevent them from hurting us in the lines: "Here we have a stone, throw to stay the stranger, swore to crush his bones".

The lines "Spark becomes a flame, flame becomes a fire" in the fourth and fifth verse could imply how this condition and our treatment of others gets worse and worse over time. The fourth verse adds how we find it a comfortable way to live, whereas the fifth verse shows our desire to use it to fulfill our wants (and needs).

Finally, the last verse could refer to how, when we pass away, our grudges won't come with us and we return as we were, pure.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Intension of a Grudge

Hello everyone,

I always love seeing how other people experience Tool, so I figured some of you might be interested in one of the ways I experience the track 'Intension'. I know that there are a lot of different possibilities, alternative interpretations and experiences and that this is just one of many.

This (partial) way of experiencing Intension requires one to link the song to 'The Grudge' from Tool's Lateralus album and gives the intension (or internal content of a concept) of a grudge.

Intension starts with the lines "Pure as we begin". For me this implies that we are born as we are, without grudges to hold against people and thus in our purest form.

The next verse states "Here we have a stone. Gather, place and raise, so shelter turns to home". This could refer to us acquiring a grudge, which we hold on to until it becomes an essential part of our character. After which the stone becomes a cornerstone.

The third verse tells us how we use our grudge to keep others away so we prevent them from hurting us in the lines: "Here we have a stone, throw to stay the stranger, swore to crush his bones".

The lines "Spark becomes a flame, flame becomes a fire" in the fourth and fifth verse could imply how this condition and our treatment of others gets worse and worse over time. The fourth verse adds how we find it a comfortable way to live, whereas the fifth verse shows our desire to use it to fulfill our wants (and needs).

Finally, the last verse could refer to how, when we pass away, our grudges won't come with us and we return as we were, pure.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Malaclypse
08-31-2018, 10:38 AM

i like the connections you drew. i never thought of it that way.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Banned.

Re: Intension of a Grudge

i like the connections you drew. i never thought of it that way.
jungol
09-02-2018, 07:12 AM

meh

i always thought intension talked about the early man and how we evolved - with greed and division being the focal points.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
On Probation

Re: Intension of a Grudge

meh

i always thought intension talked about the early man and how we evolved - with greed and division being the focal points.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply