opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 06. Parabol
User Name
Password
Old 01-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
More thoughts.

I'm going to give my own interpretation of this song. Before I begin, a reminder: this is the way I think, my theory/belief/thoughts…you don't have to think the same.

Of course, this song is about staying strong, and realizing things in life, things that would be whelming to know. Such as, not to worry about pain, or anger, or animosity, or anything of the sort. This is probably my favorite duo song on the CD.

First verse:
So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now.
Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so
Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild.

This is referring to how your body is just a form of a part of your spirit, mind, and soul. Embracing reality, this form we hold is so "wide eyed and hopeful. Wide eyed and hopefully wild." Which is true, because we're all excited, or wide eyed, about certain things.

Second verse:
We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in
This body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

When certain things happen in life that make you feel that sense of security, and love, it's hard to "remember" anything else, in a way. So no matter what, with that moment of compassion, you choose to stay in it, and hold on. "This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in…" This is one of my favorite lines of all time…because it's very useful. I mean, if you sit and think about it…your body reminds you that you're not alone, because you're always there for yourself, in a kind of since. And this body makes us feel eternal when we feel like we can't be touched, when we feel like nothing can happen to us, and that pain is an illusion. "All this pain is an illusion." IS my favorite line of all time, because that's also very true. Everything, all this pain we endure is just an illusion, a thought process based and things that hurt us emotionally, and physically.

Parabola:
We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,
We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside
This holy reality, this holy experience.
Choosing to be here in

As l said above about the first two lines… When certain things happen in life that make you feel that sense of security, and love, it's hard to "remember" anything else, in a way. So no matter what, with that moment of compassion, you choose to stay in it, and hold on. Stay inside this holy reality, this holy experience…l think this means that our lives are based around these things that go on, that are holy. And when good things "holy" things happen. And you choose to stay in it…(I'm not exactly sure about that last part)

Next line:

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

I discussed this above…But again, this is my favorite part of the song, it's just so real…

Next line:

Alive, I
In this holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in

This and the next verse have been discussed.

Mid-verse:
Twirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing.

As it was said in Schism, things in life are often circled, or "twirled" as well. You go around things in life, like the phrase "history repeats itself". I believe that's what "twirling round with this familiar parable" means. Life is a familiar parable, sometimes we're lost and we don't know what to do…"spinning, weaving round each new experience." This is a great line…it tells just what we do. But I think this line could mean one of two things. First: I think this line could mean that we're excited about new things, and we spin and weave through them like they're nothing, and we just take them, and things in life, for granted. Second: I think this line could mean we spin and weave around new things because we don't like new things in our lives…we like to have things as they have been, and as we know them, so we avoid the new in life. And we all need to recognize that life is a gift…we should celebrate the chance to be alive and breathing, because it is a gift that we should be thankful for and lucky to have, no matter how shitty life can get sometimes.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality…embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal. All this pain is an illusion…Beautiful

I'm sorry if my entries are a bit primitive, or pedestrian, if you'd like me to express myself in a more intuitive way, just P.M. me and say so.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: More thoughts.

l forgot to add, that's also Parabola.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:12 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 19

Interesting read....I'm getting stuck on the part where your interpreting the line,"all this pain is an illusion." I agree with your sentiment that our body reminds us that we are not alone, our soul will not be alone because it is one with the body...However, the body is finite, it will die off inevitably. The body is the source of pain, Hence, this pain we experience, wether physical or mental, is a result of being alive--SO it's real, not an illusion. There you go.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yes...that's correct, but as you said, the body dies off. Once the body dies off, our spirit and soul is free to roam with no thoughts of pain of any type...therefore, this pain is an illusion, because we will soon be rid of it.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 19

I see what you are saying Mstajduh, maybe our pain is there to teach us something, suchas that we must seek out help from our fellow man..and thus, learn to better live in harmony with one another.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

And no responce...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: