Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
cfhrevolutioncfh
03-28-2006, 12:26 AM

I know that i'm not the first one to draw up the connection between the supposed title of wings for marie and maynards mother judith marie keenan. but i think this is some new info.

10000 days = 27.3 years

tracklisting is as follows:

2.wings for marie

3.10000 days (wings for marie II)

according to the times reporter on june 20 2003. Judith marie Keenan/Garrison
died of complications from a brain aneurysm suffered 27 years prior to her death.

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.p...fromSearch=yes

Maynard has vocalized the impact of this in the song Judith which is also her namesake. Listen to commentary on APC aMotion DVD.

Also this is the first release that he has done since her death so it seems a fitting dedication to her. also the wings seems to me to be a metaphor for her gaining her angelic wings.

just my opinion

now discuss
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
wings for maynards mom

I know that i'm not the first one to draw up the connection between the supposed title of wings for marie and maynards mother judith marie keenan. but i think this is some new info.

10000 days = 27.3 years

2.wings for marie

died of complications from a brain aneurysm suffered 27 years prior to her death.

Maynard has vocalized the impact of this in the song Judith which is also her namesake. Listen to commentary on APC aMotion DVD.

Also this is the first release that he has done since her death so it seems a fitting dedication to her. also the wings seems to me to be a metaphor for her gaining her angelic wings.

just my opinion

now discuss
OFFLINE |  
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
03-28-2006, 12:29 AM

Could be a coincidence, or something. Maybe not...

Why does she get two songs and I get none? Huh?

And what next... is Maynard going to be involved in a song called "Kennan", which when played after Marie (which is played after Judith) somehow makes this amazing three-part song that opens a vortext/transporter that will instantly bring the listener to Toolland where they get to suck Maynard's dick all the time while listening to the song Maynard's dick untill they want to die, but can't because they're too busy sucking?

WHAT THEN?!

Also, I don't think it really matters. Judith doesn't mean to me what it does to Maynard... so I highly doubt Marie is going to mean the same thing to me that it does to him. Thats his personal stuff... I've got my own personal stuff I relate his songs to.

Like not getting any fucking songs dedicated to me.

FUCK!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929
Re: wings for maynards mom

And what next... is Maynard going to be involved in a song called "Kennan", which when played after Marie (which is played after Judith) somehow makes this amazing three-part song that opens a vortext/transporter that will instantly bring the listener to Toolland where they get to suck Maynard's dick all the time while listening to the song Maynard's dick untill they want to die, but can't because they're too busy sucking?

WHAT THEN?!

Also, I don't think it really matters. Judith doesn't mean to me what it does to Maynard... so I highly doubt Marie is going to mean the same thing to me that it does to him. Thats his personal stuff... I've got my own personal stuff I relate his songs to.

FUCK!
OFFLINE |  
eonphi's Avatar eonphi
03-28-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhrevolutioncfh

10000 days = 27.3 years

2.wings for marie

just my opinion

now discuss
you could be on to something here...i agree with you. but it also could just be a coincidence.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
Level Φ - sXe

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

10000 days = 27.3 years

2.wings for marie

just my opinion

now discuss
you could be on to something here...i agree with you. but it also could just be a coincidence.
OFFLINE |  
Octopod's Avatar Octopod
03-28-2006, 12:57 AM

For more on where the forum has already gone with this check:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=37984

Myself, I feel it's a bit more than plausible considering past evidence and past songs. But even if it does indeed turn out to be one interpretation of the song, it certainly won't be the only one.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

For more on where the forum has already gone with this check:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=37984

Myself, I feel it's a bit more than plausible considering past evidence and past songs. But even if it does indeed turn out to be one interpretation of the song, it certainly won't be the only one.
03-28-2006, 01:13 AM

Yeah, I don't think they would name a whole album off of a song that has to do with her having a brain aneurysm for 27 yrs. There would have to be something deeper for 10,000 Days as a title and why it represents the album better than the others. A song about her yeah but who knows how those 2 songs connect.

I want a song dedicated to me too. Although, I have a video from ozzfest in '98 where Maynard says, "this next song is a love song, and it's dedicated tooooooo you." And he points to the crowd and they cheer but much to their surprise they probably thought, "you fucker" after they hear "Crawl Away" start right after he said it lol
Old 03-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #5

Bincount™: 17

Yeah, I don't think they would name a whole album off of a song that has to do with her having a brain aneurysm for 27 yrs. There would have to be something deeper for 10,000 Days as a title and why it represents the album better than the others. A song about her yeah but who knows how those 2 songs connect.

I want a song dedicated to me too. Although, I have a video from ozzfest in '98 where Maynard says, "this next song is a love song, and it's dedicated tooooooo you." And he points to the crowd and they cheer but much to their surprise they probably thought, "you fucker" after they hear "Crawl Away" start right after he said it lol
OFFLINE |  
pryingopenmy3rdeye's Avatar pryingopenmy3rdeye
03-28-2006, 04:32 PM

i believe this is very plausible

good find
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 93

i believe this is very plausible

good find
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke
OFFLINE |  
Alex in Chains's Avatar Alex in Chains
03-28-2006, 04:43 PM

I would say this was plausible . . . if 10,000 Days were the new album. It's not.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

I would say this was plausible . . . if 10,000 Days were the new album. It's not.
<ru5ty> wat
OFFLINE |  
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
03-28-2006, 04:48 PM

possible
Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

possible
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM

Wings for your mum.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

Wings for your mum.
03-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Also this is the first release that he has done since her death...
Thirteenth Step was the first one since her death. Theres a big ass dedication in the booklet.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

Quote:
Also this is the first release that he has done since her death...
Thirteenth Step was the first one since her death. Theres a big ass dedication in the booklet.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
03-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:

10000 days = 27.3 years

2.wings for marie

just my opinion

now discuss
This theory carries weight and allows for another related interpretation based on statements by the band quoted in Kerrang. On the part of the aMotion DVD cited by cfhrevolutioncfh, Maynard also states that when he says "Fuck your god" he doesn't mean the God. He talks about the abuse and misinterpretation of the bible by those such as Southern Baptists (of which his mom was one). He speaks of the detrimental effect of that on his mom, family, etc.

He mentions (incorrectly) that the first line in Genesis (it's actually the Book of John) says "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." Maynard then points out that in the original Hebrew, that first line would correctly be "In the beginning was the word, and the word was love . . . " and that you really could just shut the book at that point.

The quote in Kerrang references the band's dissatisfaction with President Bush. I don't think it is a stretch to say that the dissatisfaction is likely related to the war in Iraq which has been called "The Long War." Vietnam= The 10,000 Day War. President Bush's election victory was largely attributed to the religious right and especially evangelical Christians. I postulate that the band may doubt Bush's professed religiosity and believe that he abused religion (i.e. the bible, the word) to gain and maintain power.

These facts lend creedence to cfhrevolutioncfh's theory and to the album title "10,000 Days".

Sorry this post is so long. It was a long thought.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Quote:

10000 days = 27.3 years

2.wings for marie

just my opinion

now discuss
This theory carries weight and allows for another related interpretation based on statements by the band quoted in Kerrang. On the part of the aMotion DVD cited by cfhrevolutioncfh, Maynard also states that when he says "Fuck your god" he doesn't mean the God. He talks about the abuse and misinterpretation of the bible by those such as Southern Baptists (of which his mom was one). He speaks of the detrimental effect of that on his mom, family, etc.

He mentions (incorrectly) that the first line in Genesis (it's actually the Book of John) says "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." Maynard then points out that in the original Hebrew, that first line would correctly be "In the beginning was the word, and the word was love . . . " and that you really could just shut the book at that point.

The quote in Kerrang references the band's dissatisfaction with President Bush. I don't think it is a stretch to say that the dissatisfaction is likely related to the war in Iraq which has been called "The Long War." Vietnam= The 10,000 Day War. President Bush's election victory was largely attributed to the religious right and especially evangelical Christians. I postulate that the band may doubt Bush's professed religiosity and believe that he abused religion (i.e. the bible, the word) to gain and maintain power.

These facts lend creedence to cfhrevolutioncfh's theory and to the album title "10,000 Days".

03-28-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath

Good thought man, good thought. The whole thread is good - I had posted this same theory in the first one that everyone was referring back to. My intuition tells me it's dead on. But we will just have to wait and see. I can't wait!!!! 20 days to Vicarious!!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:

Good thought man, good thought. The whole thread is good - I had posted this same theory in the first one that everyone was referring back to. My intuition tells me it's dead on. But we will just have to wait and see. I can't wait!!!! 20 days to Vicarious!!!!
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic
Thank you. And I know this has been discussed before, but there's so much going on on this forum it's hard to keep it all straight. I remember you originally posting the theory and I think it is good, especially if you subscribe to Occam's Razor as a basis for explanations.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
Prana

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic
Thank you. And I know this has been discussed before, but there's so much going on on this forum it's hard to keep it all straight. I remember you originally posting the theory and I think it is good, especially if you subscribe to Occam's Razor as a basis for explanations.
03-28-2006, 07:00 PM

its hard to say what the 10,000 days mean.....i guess we'll wait till it comes out.......and after that everyone will still debate
Old 03-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #14

Bincount™: 14

its hard to say what the 10,000 days mean.....i guess we'll wait till it comes out.......and after that everyone will still debate
03-28-2006, 07:07 PM

Also, the album mini or album cover is an adaptation of Alex Grey's "Interbeing". Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that the album art is called "Net of Being". Whatever the names, the original painting is full of color and light and, I think, life. The album mini is the opposite. It is devoid of color, life and light. The death of the "Interbeing"? Does it represent Tool's disappointment and a possible feeling on the part of the band members that the paradigm shift they'd hoped for isn't coming about anytime soon? They did jokingly say this is their blues album.

On a lighter note, and in keeping with Occam's razor, maybe the three faces indicate three releases, three faces of Tool. Or the Id, Ego, and SuperEgo. I'm rambling now.

This probably belongs in another thread.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
Prana

Also, the album mini or album cover is an adaptation of Alex Grey's "Interbeing". Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that the album art is called "Net of Being". Whatever the names, the original painting is full of color and light and, I think, life. The album mini is the opposite. It is devoid of color, life and light. The death of the "Interbeing"? Does it represent Tool's disappointment and a possible feeling on the part of the band members that the paradigm shift they'd hoped for isn't coming about anytime soon? They did jokingly say this is their blues album.

On a lighter note, and in keeping with Occam's razor, maybe the three faces indicate three releases, three faces of Tool. Or the Id, Ego, and SuperEgo. I'm rambling now.

This probably belongs in another thread.
03-28-2006, 08:10 PM

If you're interested in that lighter note, this three faces could also represent the divine trinity of Hinduism, the Trimurti, which are the three aspects of God: Brahma the creator force, Vishnu the preserver force and Shiva destroyer force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimurti
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out." - Timothy Leary

Last edited by Exoskeletal; 03-28-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 03-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #16

If you're interested in that lighter note, this three faces could also represent the divine trinity of Hinduism, the Trimurti, which are the three aspects of God: Brahma the creator force, Vishnu the preserver force and Shiva destroyer force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimurti
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out." - Timothy Leary

Last edited by Exoskeletal; 03-28-2006 at 09:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
fraz's Avatar fraz
03-28-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance19
I've always wandered whether Maynard decides on the title of the album by himself or whether the band as a whole agrees on a title.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
I've always wandered whether Maynard decides on the title of the album by himself or whether the band as a whole agrees on a title.
OFFLINE |  
Clutch it like an AEnima's Avatar Clutch it like an AEnima
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM

im sure the whole band decides......id be kinda pissed if i had no imput in the name of my album
Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 PM   #18

Bincount™: 14

im sure the whole band decides......id be kinda pissed if i had no imput in the name of my album
03-28-2006, 11:10 PM

I'm betting he takes the lead in that creative process of naming, though, even if it is a democratic decision.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #19

Bincount™: 3

I'm betting he takes the lead in that creative process of naming, though, even if it is a democratic decision.
03-29-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopod
Yeah, I think he would have the lead especially if he is writing all of the lyrics/vocals. They probably take the name from one of the songs. Every album thus far (except Salival?, I think) has had a song with the same name as the album. Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus. I doubt it's the other way around.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:48 AM   #20
Prana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopod
Yeah, I think he would have the lead especially if he is writing all of the lyrics/vocals. They probably take the name from one of the songs. Every album thus far (except Salival?, I think) has had a song with the same name as the album. Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus. I doubt it's the other way around.
03-30-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
the song was aenema tho...not aenima
Old 03-30-2006, 03:41 AM   #21
Level Φ - sXe

Quote:
the song was aenema tho...not aenima
OFFLINE |  
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
03-30-2006, 05:17 AM

[QUOTE=eonphi]the song was aenema tho...not aenima[/QU

Can you imagine my embarrasment giving myself an aenima, when I should have been giving myself an aenema? And what will my soul think?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:17 AM   #22
Prana

[QUOTE=eonphi]the song was aenema tho...not aenima[/QU

Can you imagine my embarrasment giving myself an aenima, when I should have been giving myself an aenema? And what will my soul think?
03-31-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:
lol
Old 03-31-2006, 05:17 AM   #23
Level Φ - sXe

Quote:
lol
OFFLINE |  
4orty6ix&2
03-31-2006, 08:11 AM

I would not be shocked if there was a link from the song to maynards life.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:11 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
macfreak's Avatar macfreak
03-31-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orty6ix&amp View Post
Fly away phantom
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orty6ix&amp View Post
Fly away phantom
OFFLINE |  
harmonyofdissonance's Avatar harmonyofdissonance
03-31-2006, 09:03 AM

its quite plausible, why should this only be a coincidence? Thousands of connections were made, one more hilarious than the other....
Old 03-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

its quite plausible, why should this only be a coincidence? Thousands of connections were made, one more hilarious than the other....
OFFLINE |  
varg's Avatar varg
03-31-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot199

WHAT THEN?!

FUCK!
THANK YOU. Let's marry.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #27
On Probation

Bincount™: 10

Quote:

WHAT THEN?!

FUCK!
THANK YOU. Let's marry.
OFFLINE |  
iS!
04-06-2006, 08:02 PM

What I find interesting is that, if his mom had her aneurysm exactly 10,000 days before she died, then it would have happened February 1, 1976, when Maynard was... eleven years old.

"Eleven and she was gone..."
Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #28
iS!
Level 2 - Poster

What I find interesting is that, if his mom had her aneurysm exactly 10,000 days before she died, then it would have happened February 1, 1976, when Maynard was... eleven years old.

OFFLINE |  
absolutezero's Avatar absolutezero
04-06-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iS!

Nice one. The track being Jimmy, obviously refering to himself.

Last edited by absolutezero; 04-06-2006 at 08:47 PM..
Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iS!

Nice one. The track being Jimmy, obviously refering to himself.

Last edited by absolutezero; 04-06-2006 at 08:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Morfindel's Avatar Morfindel
04-06-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:

There's this new australian interview that relates the album lyrics were written about personal stuff.

And, you can always change your name to Marie Judith Dick and have 3 songs dedicated to you.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

There's this new australian interview that relates the album lyrics were written about personal stuff.

And, you can always change your name to Marie Judith Dick and have 3 songs dedicated to you.
04-06-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Maybe every new song has its own meaning for 10,000 days. Only Blair knows.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Maybe every new song has its own meaning for 10,000 days. Only Blair knows.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply