opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/11 - Kansas City, MO - Memorial Hall

I got there at noon and bonded with fans all day. I was the guy in the light blue shirt that said stuff about butternut cocoa and the fuzzy jacket. I hung out with some very cool people and had some awesome conversations. That hippie guy who was banging on the door was named Stick. He's a drifter and was looking to get into the show for free. He showed up there with 20 cents, and after having a conversation with someone about money, he gave that 20 cents to a guy who had plenty of it, with the mentality that that guy obviously cared about it more. Stick ended up banging on that door until someone finally let him in. He did get to see the show for free.

I spent all day looking for a ticket and ended up getting one of the will-call floor tickets. The early crowd, knowing I'd been there all day, was kind enough to let me take my place with them in the front of the line, which led me to being front and directly in front of Maynard on the floor. Awesome idea for seeing the band. Piss-poor idea for protecting my hearing.

I remember the loud blonde guy. He reminded me of the suicide bomber from Contact, in looks and attitude--determined to ruin everyone else's fun. He kept repeating that if we were gonna bitch about him, we should move to the back. I thought it seemed much more democratic and logical for the thing that every was bitching about to move to the back. He was the only one who wanted him there. I had resolved to ignore him the whole show, but when I noticed a smaller girl who was getting swallowed and beaten just behind me, I had her come up to the safety and comfort of the rail. Security motioned for the man to come over the rail because he was clearly putting a lot of effort into ruining other people's experiences. The crowd quickly caught on and did security's job, lifting him over, happy to see him go.

Adam cracked me up throughout the show. I know it's his thing to look blase and bored while he plays, like, "Yeah, this is what I do, no big deal." He took it pretty far at this show. At one point he actually rolled his eyes a little. It was hilarious.

I loved the parts of songs that featured Justin. In the euphoria of the experience, I forget which song he was really going all-out on, but I was ecstatic to see it.

Maynard flubbed the vocals at the end of The Patient. He says "Gotta wait it out" a few times at the end. "Gotta" is in the pick up note just before the measure starts. The first time he said it, he missed the pickup and crammed it all into the measure. He quickly looked up and smiled at Adam.

Making eye contact with Adam and Maynard was incredible (although, through Maynard's sunglasses, eye contact almost had to be assumed, but you can feel it when you make eye contact with someone). After the show, Danny threw some sticks and heads into the crowd. One of the drumsticks bounced off my hand and onto the floor where security stood. Damn my poor motor skills.

I busted my ass for weeks to get into this show. It looked pretty bleak at times, especially when I was ticketless at 5 pm the day of the show, looking over at Danny Carey's dad, wondering if he was a Good Samaritan. It was all well worth it, and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I'll be first in line to get tickets if/when they come back in the fall, and I'll be there at noon again, if for no other reason than to talk to so many cool people again.

Last edited by DDoedtman; 05-12-2006 at 10:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #42
On Probation

Bincount™: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudostratified
I was the lucky fucker who ended up with Danny's AUTOGRAPHED DRUM HEAD after he made an impossible fucking throw deep into the lower balcony. Check out my avatar bitches! That shit seemed like I had a homing beacon the way it curved right to me--and the four other people who had a hand on it until I emerged victorious!! A fucking mind-blowing experience
ha props on that man i saw that shit i thought it was gonna make it to the top row...the breakdown to jambi was fucking amazing...haha...mdma and tool best night ever man i wanna relive it over and over.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

I've seen a few shows . . . the first one at Memorial Hall was Black Sabbath in 1972.
I thought that was a good show. I saw TOOL the first time they played Memorial . . . I thought that was a good show. And, in my wildest dreams, I never
though I'd see TOOL play a small venue like Memorial again . . . Last night was nothing less than historic . . . those of you who were there know . . . you've just seen the greatest band of our time play in an auditorium no bigger than a high school gym. What a rare moment . . .
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

caught the show in KC it was such a kick ass show,they seemed all in sync
and didn't miss a beat
i was about 20 feet from MJK i could see the whites of his teeth thats how close i was

Great Show can't wait to see them when they come back through
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

To whoever said there was no moshing...hahaha. Nice try.

Props go to: The cool people we hung out with on the floor right in front of Adam: Two drunk and very friendly girls, an awesome girl in a black button-up shirt and her equally cool boyfriend with the two eyebrow rings, the two guys we speculated on future singles with, the guy who was trying to protect his girlfriend from the moshpit and ended up beating some ass, and EVERYBODY who picked up that blonde acid-dropping idiot and let the very friendly identical-twin security guards handle him. Also obviously props to the band and the rest of the crew and staff, everybody I saw seemed to be having a good time. Maynard's dancing was the absolute best, he was getting into it much more than I expected. And of course you've gotta love seeing topless women to go along with your favorite band, kudos.

Bitches go to: That blonde idiot...all I can say is when you elbow your way into the front row while yelling at everybody to go back in the back if they don't like it, you're getting ready for a trip over the rail. The moshers who don't understand that Tool isn't a moshing band (although I'm glad they had fun anyway). The short idiot in the gray shirt who got in my face when I pushed him away from some girls he kept elbowing in the face. Scalpers who observed "Bring your kid to work day". People who waved their finger at the band during The Pot...obviously you don't get it.

It was an awesome concert and we definitely had a blast (and a sober blast at that). Sad to have to wait for 10,000 days and Right In Two in concert, but I guess I'll manage somehow. Thanks to all the cool people we met who made it an awesome show despite the "1% Douchebag" rule that we saw in action last night!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

So I saw Tool for my 5th time last night in Kansas City. I had a feeling that they could still put on the ridiculously awesome show I've come to expect, but had slight doubts because some of the new album comes across to me as being "really good" as opposed to "ridiculously amazing". It started out as just being "really good" but got to the amazingness I was hoping for after a while.... after all, Tool are still Tool.
We got to the venue around 7:45...parked in what I'd been told and what looked to be a very unsafe neighborhood. The venue was Memorial Hall...dedicated to soldiers and all that stuff...pretty ironic. Eventually we got in and found seats, and I squeezed my way through the clusterfuck of people in this tiny ass place to go to the bathroom then get some of that wonderful $3 bottled water (which doesn't come in a bottle and was spilled as a result...oh well). Sit down...wait wait wait...the wait for a Tool show is always the worst. Danny Carey's mom was sitting on the side of the stage tapping her foot, looking about as anxious as me. She sat there the whole show, probably very proud of her son. It felt really nice being in a place about 1/3rd the size of an arena, that meant 1/3rd less obnoxious fans. I didn't notice nearly as much moshing as I'd expected.

Finally they start with Lost keys>Rosetta Stoned...very good stuff. Not as incredible as I'd expect from Tool...the H/Grudge sounding part with electronic drums at the end was amazing though. Next, Stinkfist...another "really good" song, but it wasn't as great as previous shows, maybe because they didn't do the extended version. Next, The Pot...another "really good" song. The instrumental part in it was awesome though. Afterwards Maynard said something along the lines of "Any of you got a problem with that? alright then". No idea what thats about.

Then...46&2, this is where I started REALLY feeling it. They never played 46&2 at any of the other shows I'd seen, and its definitely a classic for me. The drum solo in there is always incredible. Next was Jambi, which was a bit better than the previous new songs, but still not as good as the old stuff. The talkbox solo was great, even though there was a little bit of feedback. After this, the rest of the show was as good as it gets pretty much. Schism, then Æon Blue Apocalypse/the Patient, a drum solo leading into Sober, then Lateralus...all incredible. Then they sat down on the stage and just kinda looked at the crowd, enjoying the hell out of themselves. Then they played Vicarious, which unlike the other new songs, I actually enjoyed as much as all the old stuff. Then they closed with Ænema, which of course was great.

The lighting and the video screens were awesome as well. Not quite as magnificent as the Alex Grey backdrops, but still one of the coolest visual shows ever. Lots of new video footage...I wish they'd make dvds of this stuff damnit.

I was surprised at how positive of an atmosphere there was. With the band talking about how upset they are about current events, and the mood of the new album, I almost expected it to be darker, but it was actually very positive and inspiring. Its obvious that they really enjoy what they do, and are really glad that other people appreciate it. Lots of smiles and crowd interaction, lots of hilarious commentary from Maynard...I've gotta say I really disagree with whoever insists that Tool is "pretentious". I left feeling very inspired, euphoric, glad to be alive in the moment, looking forward to the future, and all that good stuff.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Alrighty then, picture this if you will...
Get pretty wasted before the concert (bad idea?) pretty much a huge Tool fan, 10 people in our group and its time to hit the road. Two SUVs head to the concert my ride drives to Municiple Hall...in Missouri! Holy Fucking Shit!!! No worries no worries 1 hour till the show, plenty of time to get there. Next thing I know we were standing in line. Head into the venue, didn't expect it to be that small. Would've loved to be on the floor, but opted to keep the group together where we rocked out the whole row/balcony.....Apologies to those I may have flailed into but that comes with the territory. Highlight of the night would probably be during The Patient, lighters flickered everywhere as the venue clouded with smoke. Wish I would've 'experienced' more but all in all, totally worth the money. Next time I'll put down the liquor, open my eyes, and remember to bring the mushrooms.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

For my fellow KC Tool fan!!! ENJOY!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/atf34/setlist.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #49
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Anyone know why the guy ripped up setlist from before and put a new one down.... Gets rinkled during the trip... Gets everyones sweat all over it, What?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

I am sooooooooooooooooooo BUMMED out! I was in the front row, god was it the best TOOL/any band show i've ever been to and it had to end! I'm never going to see them in that intimate setting again....it will never be the same!

:*(
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

I'd like to say thanks to everyone around me that was in front of Adam, the two drunk girls next to me, the two guitar players behind me, and the couple to the right of me,(two eyebrow rings), you guys made this an even better show than it already was, I was the guy in the white hat in front of Adam. Everyone was real cool and die-hard fans, no fuckers except for the blonde acid tripper. Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

great show. I'd just seen them at Coachella but it was awesome. sound wise though Coachella was far superior. Memorial just isn't built for it. I wish they could play at the Uptown. there'd be no way though.

the worst was after the show, we're standing around outside. plenty of people are. there's a guy selling shirts. all of the sudden this big dumbfuck security guy gets all in this normal nice guys face and is like LEAVE SIR! and the guys like fuck you I guess, so then security fuck goes DO I NEED TO GET A OFFICER? OFFICERS COME DOWN HERE PLEASE!

4 or 5 cops come down and act like hard asses and have this show of force on this one dude for no reason at all. security guy thought he was the shit. whatever, lets leave.

actually fuck kansas city KS. cop infested dump
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool8928
i grabbed the back of the guys neck and started punching him in the head, he turned around and tried to freak-me-out to death and the next thing i know the entire crowd around me is throwing the bastard up to the front security guys to deal with... and they even looked scared and upset to have to deal with this fucker.
i saw that man, good for you guys getting him out of there. From my view in the balcony, there wasnt much moshing, which i think shows the quality of the fans that were there. Most seemed intent on watching the show and not beating the shit out of each other.

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #54

Bincount™: 13

KANSAS FUCKING CITY! What did yall think? Shouts outs out to SCAR & DDoedtman. Scar, Im pretty sure you remember who i am. I told you I was here as alicetooljam and saved your spot in line while you and your buddy went and ate at the mexican place across the street. Me and my girl also sat next to you and your friend. BTW, I agree with what you are hearing in the jambi lyrics

DDoedtman, I was one of the ones that said come on into our place in line and was standing next to the drunk chick that asked you if your shirt contained lyrics from "the pot?" lol I had on the blue dickies hat and the blue sweatshirt I had to go buy because I didnt bring longsleeves or a jacket.

I got there about 915am and thought Id drive by the venue before going to the hotel for sleep after a 4.5 hour drive from Tulsa, OK. To my suprise there were 2 guys already standing on the steps. ( hello, to Daniel & Roman from Cinci, if you venture in here)I hadnt planned on showing up until around 5pm or so, but got scared at this point that a long line would have formed by then so I sent the woman on to the hotel and stayed there all day.

It was fun spending the day and chatting with the first 20 or so people in line. All of you seemed like old friends by the time the show started. It was a pleasure sharing the experience with all of you! Im suprised, but not shocked so many have mentioned the hippie dude. He was there by 10am or so as well. No ticket, no money and asking everyone to give him a ticket, not to mention cigarettes the entire day. I found him and his buddy pretty damn annoying. I was the first guy he tried to give his .20 cents to. He did make it in the show, I saw him in there too...

This was the 6th Tool show I have experienced and I will honestly tell you it was the BEST. Everyone who attended got a real treat. It upsets me with how many get on here and comment about mistakes. They werent noticable and some of you act as if they disappointed.

I dont know if its just because its a "warm up" tour, but it seemed as though Tool has finally unmasked themselves. Normally they are in the dark for most of the show, but last night, the stage was particularly light for most the evening and they really seemed to enjoy the crowd. This also SCARES me, cause it makes me wonder if this is their last.....NO WAY, cant be. I was shocked when Maynard said the album was 10,000 ways to thank you. Another comment that nobody has mentioned was just after he asked 'have the drugs kicked in," he asked if "anyone wanted some orange juice? Some orange slices and a lil water, good stuff," he remarked.

The band, one by one made their way to the stage and the crowd was going fuckin nuts by the time Maynard started in with "alrighty then." I thought Rosetta, the pot, and especially jambi and vicarious sounded GREAT live. Live shows only make you appreciate new albums and the band it self even more. Sober, schism, the patient, and lateralus just freakin owned. Tool and especially Maynard have soooo came into their own league on stage. They DEFINE what a rock performance should be. They truly all are 4 equal parts that make up a band. When they are performing its almost as if they are all taking turns doing their own thing. Danny and Adam can produce some of the strangest noise together, theres no other way to describe it other than "trance-like". At one point last night when hearing this and again as a song died down, I wondered for the first time if tool is brain washing us with subliminal undertones. That shit is just strange, FUCKING AMAZING, and indescribable. No other band can create that kind of energy and I have seen many.

As others have said, it was Danny's birthday in his home state. He had loads of family and friends there for it. He was outside the venue about an hour before the doors opened about 10 yards away from us on the steps greeting them all as they arrived. I thought it was cool how everyone remained respectful and wasNT rushing over and yelling his name, instead giving him the time and space to greet his loved ones. The band gave him his own time to hammer out what seemed like about a 4 minute drum solo for his Kansas natives.

Danny's mother & father as well as his grandmother were there and sat in a roped off VIP row directly across the aisle from us. We were in the first section on the front row just to the right of the band closest to Justin and Danny. We had a clear view of the band about 20 feet from us with their speakers on the edge of the stage just 10 feet to the side of us. It was loud as shit and that small memorial hall rocked. I LOVED the place and never expected it to be that small, even having stood outside of it all day.

To all who dont have tickets and still have shows coming their way, GO GET TICKETS, regardless of what they cost. I spent $280 on a pair of tickets, $110 on on 3 shirts, $100 to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn (1/4 mile away) to walk to the show, and another $80 in gas to get up there and back, plus whatever it took to eat and it was WELL WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF THE ENTIRE DAY.

Thank you Tool and thanks to everyone who hung out with us and enjoyed the show, I felt like I was at home. I hope to see some of you again. Ya'll are more than welcome to come to the Oklahoma show when they come back later this year and Ill probably come back to KC as well when they return. PM or email me anytime! TOOL FANS ROCK...

Last edited by alicetooljam; 05-13-2006 at 05:31 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #55
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudostratified
Last night was by far the best concert I have ever seen and ended up being one of the coolest experiences of mys life.
I won't repeat what everyone else has said about the awesome fucking show except to point out that I was the lucky fucker who ended up with Danny's AUTOGRAPHED DRUM HEAD after he made an impossible fucking throw deep into the lower balcony. Check out my avatar bitches! That shit seemed like I had a homing beacon the way it curved right to me--and the four other people who had a hand on it until I emerged victorious!! A fucking mind-blowing experience

heh i saw you after the show and saw that kid in the car say he wanted it cause he almost caught it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #56

insaner where were you in line, inside, and what did you think?

ATF How did/are you getting backstage????
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #57
On Probation

did anyone else meet jimmy "motherfuckin" siljaner?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #58
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicetooljam
insaner where were you in line, inside, and what did you think?

ATF How did/are you getting backstage????

i came right as the show started, as i always do, and i stood at the very top, against the back wall, which i NEVER do. i am always close, but it just wasnt worth the hassel cause the place was so small and i had balc tickets. the show was fucking incredible, even from there. and i think it might have been the 2nd best performance of Ænema ive seen. lateralus sounded incredible as did the patient. hell i even enjoyed schism, which is rare for me. the new stuff needs some time in my opinion, although vicarious killed. they still need to work out that groove on the pot, but it was damn close. great show, great vibe, and great bbq for two days made it an awesome trip all together.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #59
On Probation

oh and the gong and the subs were badass. very loud.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #60
Level 4 - Thinker

I went to the show with 5 friends. Should have been more, damn scalpers and ticketmaster messing up everything. Anyways, I had a couple of other friends show up. One of them has been very generous with me. We will just say that he knows the Carey family. The past 2 tool shows they have done in KC, this one and Kemper, he got me a back stage pass. I used to work with this guy at Sprint and one day the decussion came up about a show i was going to see that night. He said when i call you answer your phone and come meet me. Well reguardless to say the rest is history. I spent the first song getting my other friends on the floor. After that they were on their own lol.

From there I spend the 9/10ths of the rest of the show backstage standing behind Danny's mom. Danny broke a drumstick on Jambi and the sound/light guy was nice enough to let me have it. I went down on the floor a few times throughout the show to get beers and what not. Once they were on the last song the sound/light guy offered me the setlist. There were a few times i just wanted to freak out during the show but i never wanted to ruin the show for myself or impair any chance i MIGHT have at having such a lucky adventure like this again.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/atf34/setlist.jpg

After the show i went with 2 of my friends and we were allowed to go to the "after party" with the band and family/friends. All of the guys were amazing and friendly. I would like to say thank you to the best band ever and my friends.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../toolframe.jpg

I know the pic isn't the best but you get the point. I do realize how lucky I am, wow do I. I wish all true Tool fans could experience what i have been so lucky to. See ya.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

You lucky SOB
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #62
Level 2 - Poster

4th tool show for me, the band was spot on w/ everything, sounded so amazing. Best show I've ever seen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #63
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner
heh i saw you after the show and saw that kid in the car say he wanted it cause he almost caught it.
Yeah I saw that kid. He was sitting in the row in front of me and when he jumped to get it he fell over on his back and he couldn't get up. He looked like a turtle:)
Old 05-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #64
Level 2 - Poster

wow the show was awesome. But the show barely made up for the crap trip i had, which i just got back from, but was still well worth it :D 10 hours there, 10 hours back, also getting horribly lost in Kansas City and on top of that, being sick and sleep deprived :D

Got a hat and poster, wasnt too thrilled about the whole general admission thing since we got there late cause we couldnt get any earlier, and the seats we found were back of the bottom balcony so there was no standing since if you did all you saw was the bottom of the top balcony. Our tickets were for front row on the bottom balcony, but oh well. i love the fact that they didnt need a smoke machine. By the end there was no oxygen, just pot smoke :P Wasnt smoking but i still had the munchies from hell. Got the Friggin huge poster, and the hat (yes! they had bobble head sized hats just for me :P )

Ill post more later. Im writing a huge article on my trip with photos from the whole trip. None from the show, except for one before it started, since my camera phone sucks :P
“Youre the only one who can hold your head up high shake your fist at the gates saying: I have come home now, fetch me the spirit the son and the father. Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended, its time now, my time now, give me my wings…"

Last edited by StonedDevil; 05-13-2006 at 06:29 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoedtman
Alicetooljam, your post made me think we should start a tradition of going to the shows really early and just hanging out all day like we did. Hell, maybe sometimes we can all just get together at someone's house and party and listen to Tool. Something to think about, cuz I definitely feel like we all had some good vibes flowing around and some good bonds forming.

count me in...
Old 05-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

I may be one of the only ones that did not think this show was great. I was excited to here tool was honoring us with a show before Europe. I am spending a month there in June and July, and was going to have to bump up my trip to see them, but got lucky to see a KC date. ANd only 2 days after my birthday.

But this show was crap compared to the three shows i have seen before, and I don't really know why. I got there 3 hours before the show, was nervous to see 500 people in line before me, but was relieved at 7 when 2000 people were behind me. The scalping crap was BS, but nothing i could do about that. Had to pay $185 for my ticket, to learn that they released 30 or so before the show.

The set list was eh, not playing my two fave songs, WfM/10,000 days and right in two, but rosetta stone sounded like it was be awesome, but I thought it sucked live. Jambi was a huge surprise, and played that song great. Sober, stinkfist, and the Patient all was really bad. The pot sounded like it was just a recording.

All and all just seemed like no emotion from Maynard, and he was too busy goofing off. The mohawk, the cowboy hat. Whatever the fuck he was doing with his arms, spinning them. The kicks. I mean it was like he didn't even care. He fucked up a lot more than I have ever seen. Danny was ungodly though, so was Justin. Adam, meh, looked like he wasn't even interested in being there.

All and all it just felt like the entire show was lacking what made tool tool, the emotion, intinsity, and top notch performences, but maybe it was just me. I would never forgive myself if I missed the show though, so i will never regret it, just wonder why it was so lacking
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #67
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreaker
I may be one of the only ones that did not think this show was great. I was excited to here tool was honoring us with a show before Europe. I am spending a month there in June and July, and was going to have to bump up my trip to see them, but got lucky to see a KC date. ANd only 2 days after my birthday.

But this show was crap compared to the three shows i have seen before, and I don't really know why. I got there 3 hours before the show, was nervous to see 500 people in line before me, but was relieved at 7 when 2000 people were behind me. The scalping crap was BS, but nothing i could do about that. Had to pay $185 for my ticket, to learn that they released 30 or so before the show.

The set list was eh, not playing my two fave songs, WfM/10,000 days and right in two, but rosetta stone sounded like it was be awesome, but I thought it sucked live. Jambi was a huge surprise, and played that song great. Sober, stinkfist, and the Patient all was really bad. The pot sounded like it was just a recording.

All and all just seemed like no emotion from Maynard, and he was too busy goofing off. The mohawk, the cowboy hat. Whatever the fuck he was doing with his arms, spinning them. The kicks. I mean it was like he didn't even care. He fucked up a lot more than I have ever seen. Danny was ungodly though, so was Justin. Adam, meh, looked like he wasn't even interested in being there.

All and all it just felt like the entire show was lacking what made tool tool, the emotion, intinsity, and top notch performences, but maybe it was just me. I would never forgive myself if I missed the show though, so i will never regret it, just wonder why it was so lacking

wow,... were you really at the show?

I'll give you stinkfist, it seemed a little lacking somehow, cant really put my finger on it... you couldn't hear maynard very well through most of it.... but Sober was top notch... and The Patient was FUCKING AMAZING!!.... I dunno, just my opinion
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

Here is a perfect example. the first time I heard anima, I literally wanted to throw my shoe at someone. I had so much energy built up, Maynard was fucking going crazy. He sang with the emotion and intinsity that made me want to just kill someone. Just like like the first time I heard Lateralus, I felt wonderful, great, inspired.

But those were two of the last songs, and I felt nothing. I even rolled my eyes at Maynard trying to recreate his spiraling motiong during Lateralus. It was so fluid during the Lateralus tour, but the show, he was jerky, and looked like he didn't care. I wasn't messed up, nothing was different for me, other than the smaller arena, which should only have increased the intinsity. I have been a die hard Tool fan for 7 years, and I even went to the same High School as Danny, as well as some of my friends were baby sat by him growing up. Know his mother. Tool is my life, but I just feel like it wasn't what it was even last tour. Maybe this is the beginning of the end.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

Headline: Tool kills Memorial Hall!
KC area left in shock
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #70
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicetooljam
We were in the first section on the front row just to the right of the band closest to Justin and Danny. We had a clear view of the band about 20 feet from us with their speakers on the edge of the stage just 10 feet to the side of us.
I was above you and a little to your left...what was the deal with security down there shining flashlights constantly towards the end of the show???

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

I was in the front row, and all i know about the security guard/flashlight situation is that there were 2 guys smoking a joint and earlier in the show they made a guy put out a cigarette. Also, they were having some camera/camera phone issues.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #72
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreaker
Here is a perfect example. the first time I heard anima, I literally wanted to throw my shoe at someone. I had so much energy built up, Maynard was fucking going crazy. He sang with the emotion and intinsity that made me want to just kill someone. Just like like the first time I heard Lateralus, I felt wonderful, great, inspired.

But those were two of the last songs, and I felt nothing. I even rolled my eyes at Maynard trying to recreate his spiraling motiong during Lateralus. It was so fluid during the Lateralus tour, but the show, he was jerky, and looked like he didn't care. I wasn't messed up, nothing was different for me, other than the smaller arena, which should only have increased the intinsity. I have been a die hard Tool fan for 7 years, and I even went to the same High School as Danny, as well as some of my friends were baby sat by him growing up. Know his mother. Tool is my life, but I just feel like it wasn't what it was even last tour. Maybe this is the beginning of the end.
I think you expected too much out of a show on a warm up tour. If it's like this on the big tour i'll be dissapointed, but i went into the building knowing it would be a little laid back and less serious and intense and for me it really added to the quality of the show

And i still got totally lost in my own little world during the paient and lateralus, just like i did when i first heard em live at kemper
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #73
Level 4 - Thinker

The best show of my life... and I've seen alot of damn shows via A7X, Deftones, Judas Priest....... I got there about four hours before the start of the show, played hack for awhile in line than got in and sat second row in the first set of seats right behind the VIP section for Danny's Family. Did you guys know Danny was related to G.I. Joe... That was a big mutha fucka!! The show literally kicked my ass, and I couldn't talk the next day cause I screamed so damn much. Thank you Tool for being so fucking incredible... Though I must say... my band will be the next... MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
If you don't believe drugs have helped us than do me a favor, go home and take all your CD's and all your albums and burn them you know why. Cause all the artist that created that music that's enhanced and changed your lives were "REAL" fuckin high on drugs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

P.P.S. They NAILED the breakdown in 46 & 2 and that is my favorite Tool piece EVER!
If you don't believe drugs have helped us than do me a favor, go home and take all your CD's and all your albums and burn them you know why. Cause all the artist that created that music that's enhanced and changed your lives were "REAL" fuckin high on drugs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #75
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantkeepmeaway
ha props on that man i saw that shit i thought it was gonna make it to the top row...the breakdown to jambi was fucking amazing...haha...mdma and tool best night ever man i wanna relive it over and over.
MDMA + TOOL = Phenominal Experience Roll that shit over and over in your head man.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreeonmorph
Did you guys know Danny was related to G.I. Joe... That was a big mutha fucka!!

Was that the guy in the muscle shirt with the crew cut? He came out on stage during the APC concert...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

Tool simply rules... The way they compliment each other is incredible, but I still feel the show was too short. I know, I know, it's just a warm up set for their upcoming tour and don't get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing. It always is when you see Tool. This was my 17th time seeing Tool in a span of over 10 years and they've never played a set that I wasn't impressed with. That being said I was quite disappointed not to hear anything besides Sober from Undertow and I'd love to see them play anything off of and including Opiate. For that reason and that reason only I was disappointed... Granted Tool could play for 4 or 5 hours and I'd still want more.

They are absolutely incredible, but I do have the feeling that I'll never see any of my old favorites from Opiate and Undertow and that does disappoint. Oh well, I'll take anything they put out and listen to it over and over and over.

Oh yeah and Danny Carey is about as close to a god as a drummer can be. WOW, those drum solos alone were worth the very steep price of admission. Best show I've ever seen was Tool and it was in Memorial Hall, but sorry folks it wasn't this night, It was 10 years ago on the Aenema tour. Maynard was freaking Blue and Just wow, no show will ever top that IMO. The show this year was good, but IMO the set lists will never be as good as what they've already played... Any of you other OGT fans will probably agree.... Well that's my 2 cents. Tool rules!!! Always has and always will, but it's too bad the entire set is practically singles now...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #78
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearxile
Amazing show. I was directly in front of Justin. Me and my friend were 2nd people against the gate. What a fucking awesome show. When they got done playing Lateralus and Danney threw the 2 sticks, I grabbed one and immediately stuck it in my pants so no one could grab it.. lol. Everyone around me thought it fell on the ground and they were like animals looking for it. Security was shining their lights on the floor trying to find it. I leaned over to my friend and told him I had it.
Hey, I was the guy to your right who caught the other drumstick and stuck it down my pants, who's girlfriend was about to fight that drunk bitch that fought her way to the front row and was pissing everybody off. I guess that was you who was telling me that you had caught the other one while everyone around us was on the floor scrambling for it. Small world.

Concert was absolutely amazing. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned weren't leaving much of an impression on me until I heard them live and read over the lyrics a few times. Now the genius behind them is beginning to shine through much more. I was more than happy to hear some of the older stuff played, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, Aenima, Sober, etc. and as much as I wanted to hear them play every song... I can honestly say I'm completely satsified with the ones they chose.

I drove from Oklahoma City to go to this show, spent all the money on gas, hotel, food, and not to mention my tickets, which were $200 a pop. I'd tried to get tickets for the Dallas show to no avail, so I decided to try the Kansas City one instead, and needless to say it was well worth every penny spent, I'd do it all again if I had the money. In fact I'm already saving up to buy tickets to atleast 3 shows on their big tour they're doing when they get back from Europe. Hopefully one in OKC, Dallas, and who knows... maybe back to Kansas fucking city.

My favorite part of the show had to be when Maynard asked if the drugs had kicked in. I guess I just found it funny because all the lortabs and oxycontins I had popped before the show started (and a few in between) were starting to kick me in the ass right when he said that.

Gotta love the opiates!

Anyways, I loved the atmosphere of such a small venue... and catching Danny's drumstick made it an event I will never forget. It has his signature on it, along with a little third eye with "one" inscribed above it. Been carrying it around with me everywhere and treating it better than my girlfriend, or so she says. Oh well, been waiting 6 years for the day that happened.

If anyone has any live video or audio I could listen to from the show please PM me!

Last edited by DeadheadChemistry; 05-15-2006 at 12:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #79

The lil third eye that yall are referring to on the drum sticks is the "eye of horus".

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=eye+of+horus

I talked to a guy with a cracked drum stick he had caught and seen one up close. This was outside after the show waiting to see if any of the band members would come out. Was this one of you? I also travelled from Tulsa, OK.
12/15/96-Tulsa, OK, Brady Theater--3/7/97-Wichita, KS, The Cotillion--8/11/98-Oklahoma City, OK, T&T Building--10/23/01-Oklahoma City, OK, The Myriad--7/25/02-Tulsa, OK, Expo Pavilion--10/16/02-Kansas City, MO, Kemper Arena--11/16/02-Oklahoma City, OK, Cox Convention Center--5/11/06-Kansas City, MO, Memorial Hall--9/15/06-Kansas City, MO,Kemper Arena--5/19/07-Oklahoma City, OK,Ford Center--11/19/07-Tulsa, OK,Tulsa Convention Center--7/24/09-San Antonio, TX, AT&T Center--6/23/10-Oklahoma City, OK, Ford Center --1/20/12 SOLD A FAKE TICKET (THAT MF'R!!!)Grand Prairie, TX, Verizon Theatre--1/21/12 (LEGIT)-Grand Prairie, TX, Verizon Theatre--3/24/14-Austin, TX, Cedar Park Center--1/16/16 Tulsa, OK, BOK Center--10/28/16-Little Rock, AR, Verizon Arena
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadChemistry
Hey, I was the guy to your right who caught the other drumstick and stuck it down my pants, who's girlfriend was about to fight that drunk bitch that fought her way to the front row and was pissing everybody off. I guess that was you who was telling me that you had caught the other one while everyone around us was on the floor scrambling for it. Small world.

Haha yeh thats crazy. I remember you, and expecially your girlfriend and that other chick going at it. I hated that bitch. She forced her way up and she was annoying as hell. I wanted your girl to punch her in the face. She kept making motions with her finger to the band members like "come here i want you". Then I could of swore once the security guard talked to her when your girlfriend and her were yelling at each other she said "im friends with the band" What a drunk bitch.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: