Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Reply
suggtion2keepyouallocupid
02-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Reply With Quote

Congrats to Tool and Adam Jones on another grammy. I am a little disappointed they didn't win in their other category (losing to Wolfmother-Woman). How can a new band like Wolfmother win with a song which has little complexity over a song (Vicarious) which totally blows Woman out of the water? Tool still fails to get the credit and respect for which they deserve. Maybe this is a good thing, though. The less main stream they get, the more they will continue to create art and not an image which today's society so greatly needs to enjoy something (or buy it). Keep going Tool. I know I greatly appreciate it. Rock on.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #201
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State, PA
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
Re: And the grammy goes to...

Congrats to Tool and Adam Jones on another grammy. I am a little disappointed they didn't win in their other category (losing to Wolfmother-Woman). How can a new band like Wolfmother win with a song which has little complexity over a song (Vicarious) which totally blows Woman out of the water? Tool still fails to get the credit and respect for which they deserve. Maybe this is a good thing, though. The less main stream they get, the more they will continue to create art and not an image which today's society so greatly needs to enjoy something (or buy it). Keep going Tool. I know I greatly appreciate it. Rock on.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
gaping_lotus's Avatar gaping_lotus
02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Reply With Quote

hahha, in all reality thought, they definateley deserve the packaging one...
__________________
I am in love with America's free-dumb of speech which allows me to suffer in silence, no words, just violence..... for mass-entertainment's sake...
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #202
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
gaping_lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,037
Bincount™: 67
Re: Adam wins Grammy

hahha, in all reality thought, they definateley deserve the packaging one...
__________________
I am in love with America's free-dumb of speech which allows me to suffer in silence, no words, just violence..... for mass-entertainment's sake...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
xyno512
02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Reply With Quote

I think its better that they won with the recording package, cause it keeps the focus on the music and not the artist. Plus it wasnt part of the telecast, which means that most of the people who will know about it will be the fans.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #203
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chattanooga, TN....A.K.A. Satan's thumb
Posts: 24
Bincount™: 1
Re: And the grammy goes to...

I think its better that they won with the recording package, cause it keeps the focus on the music and not the artist. Plus it wasnt part of the telecast, which means that most of the people who will know about it will be the fans.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Red Yehti
02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Reply With Quote

Congratulations to Adam for winning another Grammy award last night. This must really make him happy because it seems he is as passionate about his artwork as he is about his music. The CD packaging for 10,000 Days is absolutley deserving of an award.
__________________
8-30-98 San Jose, 8-11-01 Berkeley, 11-3-01 Mtn. Veiw, 7-12-02 Oakland, 7-13-02 Sacramento, 11-23-02 Reno, 8-27-06 The Gorge
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #204
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 23
Bincount™: 1
Re: And the grammy goes to...

Congratulations to Adam for winning another Grammy award last night. This must really make him happy because it seems he is as passionate about his artwork as he is about his music. The CD packaging for 10,000 Days is absolutley deserving of an award.
__________________
8-30-98 San Jose, 8-11-01 Berkeley, 11-3-01 Mtn. Veiw, 7-12-02 Oakland, 7-13-02 Sacramento, 11-23-02 Reno, 8-27-06 The Gorge
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
48&2's Avatar 48&2
02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlienGus View Post
Best qoute and one of the smartest things i've heard about this subject.
"Grammy's are for products"
Wow, that quote is mind-blowing.
__________________
He who devotes his whole mind to doing nothing, will have everything done for him.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #205
Mr. 200,000
 
48&2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Australia.
Posts: 4,454
Bincount™: 3568
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlienGus View Post
Best qoute and one of the smartest things i've heard about this subject.
"Grammy's are for products"
Wow, that quote is mind-blowing.
__________________
He who devotes his whole mind to doing nothing, will have everything done for him.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
32FlavorsAndThenSome's Avatar 32FlavorsAndThenSome
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Reply With Quote

Fuck them. Ani should've won.
__________________
and this is what it is like or what it is like in words
Old 02-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #206
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
32FlavorsAndThenSome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: aha ha
Posts: 1,076
Bincount™: 1481
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Fuck them. Ani should've won.
__________________
and this is what it is like or what it is like in words
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Reply With Quote

[QUOTE=the midas touch;1736084]Hyphy movement '06.

"bay game, bay slang
its a bay thang
so just know when you come to the bay man
stunnas is glasses
thins is wheels
rippers is broads
scrapers automobiles
hyphy is hyper
our version of crunk
thizzin is high
and perkin' is drunk


Words of wisdom*. "

hmmmm...i'd have to say this whole thing made me puke a little. I don't quite know how to make sense of it. I wouldn't go as far as calling them words of wisdom though..maybe words randomly put together just because they rhyme...
Old 02-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #207
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
hobblegobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California for now
Posts: 443
Bincount™: 906
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

[QUOTE=the midas touch;1736084]Hyphy movement '06.

"bay game, bay slang
its a bay thang
so just know when you come to the bay man
stunnas is glasses
thins is wheels
rippers is broads
scrapers automobiles
hyphy is hyper
our version of crunk
thizzin is high
and perkin' is drunk


Words of wisdom*. "

hmmmm...i'd have to say this whole thing made me puke a little. I don't quite know how to make sense of it. I wouldn't go as far as calling them words of wisdom though..maybe words randomly put together just because they rhyme...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Nimh
02-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Reply With Quote

I don't know why everyone is hating on Wolfmother. I've only heard a few of their songs, but I saw them live on Letterman (or Conan, or Leno...), and they were pretty good. I haven't had a chance to listen to their album, though.
__________________
My band, The Key to Our Secret:
http://www.myspace.com/thekeytooursecret
http://www.thekeytooursecret.com

Progressive, experimental rock with hip-hop vocals. Check it out, let me know what you think!

Hold on, hold on, Children, hold on
Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #208
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Here and Now
Posts: 740
Bincount™: 79
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

I don't know why everyone is hating on Wolfmother. I've only heard a few of their songs, but I saw them live on Letterman (or Conan, or Leno...), and they were pretty good. I haven't had a chance to listen to their album, though.
__________________
My band, The Key to Our Secret:
http://www.myspace.com/thekeytooursecret
http://www.thekeytooursecret.com

Progressive, experimental rock with hip-hop vocals. Check it out, let me know what you think!

Hold on, hold on, Children, hold on
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
02-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Reply With Quote

Nice to see Thievery Corp getting some recognition but the packaging for Versions isn't anything special. It's just a black and white booklet with some designs. Tool didn't have much for competition I'm guessing...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #209
amateur alchemist
 
resonance.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: the palace
Posts: 2,471
Bincount™: 3472
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Nice to see Thievery Corp getting some recognition but the packaging for Versions isn't anything special. It's just a black and white booklet with some designs. Tool didn't have much for competition I'm guessing...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Lord Worm's Avatar Lord Worm
02-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
I don't know why everyone is hating on Wolfmother. I've only heard a few of their songs, but I saw them live on Letterman (or Conan, or Leno...), and they were pretty good. I haven't had a chance to listen to their album, though.
i don't hate wolfmother, but they contribute jackshit to the music industry. they are just playing generic rock that has been spewed out already over and over. i can't comprehend how such an empty song such as 'woman' could win over a song such as 'vicarious' with intelligent social commentary. oh well
__________________
i'd eat poo for new guinea, iceland, and egypt
Old 02-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #210
Level 10 - Vehement
 
Lord Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,357
Bincount™: 3088
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
I don't know why everyone is hating on Wolfmother. I've only heard a few of their songs, but I saw them live on Letterman (or Conan, or Leno...), and they were pretty good. I haven't had a chance to listen to their album, though.
i don't hate wolfmother, but they contribute jackshit to the music industry. they are just playing generic rock that has been spewed out already over and over. i can't comprehend how such an empty song such as 'woman' could win over a song such as 'vicarious' with intelligent social commentary. oh well
__________________
i'd eat poo for new guinea, iceland, and egypt
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
darkslayer96's Avatar darkslayer96
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Reply With Quote

isnt it kinda weird that at the Grammys they do all this R&B, HIP HOP, DIXIE CHIX, mumbo jumbo, and they end with the Chili Peppers.. Wheres all the categories?
where's Best Metal Performance? where's Best Vocals? where did it all go?

do they do all the rest off the air??? and who the fukk votes for WOLFMOTHER????

I think the Grammys is a bunch of BS...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #211
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
darkslayer96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD or a Realm Of Extasy
Posts: 138
Bincount™: 21
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

isnt it kinda weird that at the Grammys they do all this R&B, HIP HOP, DIXIE CHIX, mumbo jumbo, and they end with the Chili Peppers.. Wheres all the categories?
where's Best Metal Performance? where's Best Vocals? where did it all go?

do they do all the rest off the air??? and who the fukk votes for WOLFMOTHER????

I think the Grammys is a bunch of BS...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Dubi187
02-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Reply With Quote

Yeah that was some bullshit. If it lost to NIN I wouldn't be as upset, but Wolfmother?? cmon! The grammys are stupid anyway. I'm glad the Chili Peppers are getting some accolades, but Stadium Arcadium is their most boring album yet. Californication was commercial but at least it had some rockin songs in it. Blood sugar sex magic is their best IMO. Grammy judges suck. (I didnt actually watch the show I just checked out the winners. Watching the grammys is torture)
Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #212
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: dfds
Posts: 8
Bincount™: 2
Re: And the grammy goes to...

Yeah that was some bullshit. If it lost to NIN I wouldn't be as upset, but Wolfmother?? cmon! The grammys are stupid anyway. I'm glad the Chili Peppers are getting some accolades, but Stadium Arcadium is their most boring album yet. Californication was commercial but at least it had some rockin songs in it. Blood sugar sex magic is their best IMO. Grammy judges suck. (I didnt actually watch the show I just checked out the winners. Watching the grammys is torture)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
48&2's Avatar 48&2
02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
I don't know why everyone is hating on Wolfmother. I've only heard a few of their songs, but I saw them live on Letterman (or Conan, or Leno...), and they were pretty good. I haven't had a chance to listen to their album, though.
Just listen to any Led Zeppelin album, it's the same thing...
__________________
He who devotes his whole mind to doing nothing, will have everything done for him.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #213
Mr. 200,000
 
48&2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Australia.
Posts: 4,454
Bincount™: 3568
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
I don't know why everyone is hating on Wolfmother. I've only heard a few of their songs, but I saw them live on Letterman (or Conan, or Leno...), and they were pretty good. I haven't had a chance to listen to their album, though.
Just listen to any Led Zeppelin album, it's the same thing...
__________________
He who devotes his whole mind to doing nothing, will have everything done for him.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer96 View Post
isnt it kinda weird that at the Grammys they do all this R&B, HIP HOP, DIXIE CHIX, mumbo jumbo, and they end with the Chili Peppers.. Wheres all the categories?
where's Best Metal Performance? where's Best Vocals? where did it all go?

do they do all the rest off the air??? and who the fukk votes for WOLFMOTHER????

I think the Grammys is a bunch of BS...
because people such as Carrie underwood, christina aguilera and justin timberlake are, as I said before, products. They are told what kind of music to sing, how to perform, what to wear and what will make the masses happy. Thus making a huge profit for the "music" industry and getting "awarded" for it. It's a circus! Same thing is going on with the "rock" bands, they are feeding the masses and the music industry just to get their 15 minutes of fame. It's quite sad actually. I remember when you used to be able to listen to the radio and hear a least a couple of good songs, I don't even dare turn on the radio anymore unless i'm listening for traffic news...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #214
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
hobblegobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California for now
Posts: 443
Bincount™: 906
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer96 View Post
isnt it kinda weird that at the Grammys they do all this R&B, HIP HOP, DIXIE CHIX, mumbo jumbo, and they end with the Chili Peppers.. Wheres all the categories?
where's Best Metal Performance? where's Best Vocals? where did it all go?

do they do all the rest off the air??? and who the fukk votes for WOLFMOTHER????

I think the Grammys is a bunch of BS...
because people such as Carrie underwood, christina aguilera and justin timberlake are, as I said before, products. They are told what kind of music to sing, how to perform, what to wear and what will make the masses happy. Thus making a huge profit for the "music" industry and getting "awarded" for it. It's a circus! Same thing is going on with the "rock" bands, they are feeding the masses and the music industry just to get their 15 minutes of fame. It's quite sad actually. I remember when you used to be able to listen to the radio and hear a least a couple of good songs, I don't even dare turn on the radio anymore unless i'm listening for traffic news...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Reply With Quote

If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #215
Drug Crazed Grindfreak
 
Misanthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Blastbeats: ∞
Posts: 9,266
Bincount™: 5716
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Omar Rodriguez-Mopez's Avatar Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.
That's a fucking album case? Holy shit.
__________________
"STA likes emotional people because he's a bitch." -- Tyson

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #216
Level 11 - Clamorous
 
Omar Rodriguez-Mopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vaginal SECRETIONS!?!
Posts: 3,377
Bincount™: 5127
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.
That's a fucking album case? Holy shit.
__________________
"STA likes emotional people because he's a bitch." -- Tyson

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
John Doggett
02-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Reply With Quote

Marble cd cases are out dated.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #217
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: tents
Posts: 1,821
Bincount™: 415
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Marble cd cases are out dated.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Dianoetic's Avatar Dianoetic
02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Reply With Quote

I own a Grammy award winning putter. I still go round par three's in above 70 tho :(
__________________
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #218
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
Dianoetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,539
Bincount™: 18668
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

I own a Grammy award winning putter. I still go round par three's in above 70 tho :(
__________________
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Drozz's Avatar Drozz
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.

So I just listened to Merzbow.

I've heard better music on a detuned radio with no antenna.
__________________
girls have a penis and boys have a vagina
Old 02-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #219
Suicide Booth ID: 17
 
Drozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Otto von Bismarck
Posts: 1,056
Bincount™: 1891
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.

So I just listened to Merzbow.

I've heard better music on a detuned radio with no antenna.
__________________
girls have a penis and boys have a vagina
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.
All music that is sold is a product. Some porducts are better than others, hold more value, and last longer. Tool is a product, but they are a much better and more valuable product than the aformentioned bands.
__________________
"There are lies, then damn lies, and then there are statistics"
-Mark Twain
Old 02-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #220
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
eddie75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: On the highway to hell
Posts: 4,334
Bincount™: 1202
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
If the Grammy awards are for products you must face the fact that Tool's music is just another marketing tool for record execs to line their pockets with. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Tool are above Justin Timbrelake and Wolfmother.

Another album package that was far better than Tool's.
All music that is sold is a product. Some porducts are better than others, hold more value, and last longer. Tool is a product, but they are a much better and more valuable product than the aformentioned bands.
__________________
"There are lies, then damn lies, and then there are statistics"
-Mark Twain
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Reply With Quote

I can't find a single way in which Tool are more "valuable" than Wolfmother. Both are just hollow rock bands looking to make a quick buck.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #221
Drug Crazed Grindfreak
 
Misanthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Blastbeats: ∞
Posts: 9,266
Bincount™: 5716
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

I can't find a single way in which Tool are more "valuable" than Wolfmother. Both are just hollow rock bands looking to make a quick buck.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Dianoetic's Avatar Dianoetic
02-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Reply With Quote

The main difference is that Wolfmother ROCK!
__________________
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #222
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
Dianoetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,539
Bincount™: 18668
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

The main difference is that Wolfmother ROCK!
__________________
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SAGET's Avatar SAGET
02-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobblegobble View Post
because people such as Carrie underwood, christina aguilera and justin timberlake are, as I said before, products. They are told what kind of music to sing, how to perform, what to wear and what will make the masses happy.
It's funny how everyone always lumps Justin Timberlake into this...I mean, the guy writes his own songs, yet everyone puts him in this category.

As for Tool being a product, yeah, they are. Why does everyone deny that?
__________________
Hi.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #223
Level 20 - Saget
Suicide Booth ID: 16
 
SAGET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LA
Posts: 3,621
Bincount™: 1522
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobblegobble View Post
because people such as Carrie underwood, christina aguilera and justin timberlake are, as I said before, products. They are told what kind of music to sing, how to perform, what to wear and what will make the masses happy.
It's funny how everyone always lumps Justin Timberlake into this...I mean, the guy writes his own songs, yet everyone puts him in this category.

As for Tool being a product, yeah, they are. Why does everyone deny that?
__________________
Hi.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
GeorgeinNY's Avatar GeorgeinNY
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Reply With Quote

how can you say anything bad about Christina Aguilera? what an amazing voice. maybe she tries too hard, but still, I think shes awesome for what that is- pop music.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #224
Level 10 - Vehement
 
GeorgeinNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 2,796
Bincount™: 41
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

how can you say anything bad about Christina Aguilera? what an amazing voice. maybe she tries too hard, but still, I think shes awesome for what that is- pop music.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
I can't find a single way in which Tool are more "valuable" than Wolfmother. Both are just hollow rock bands looking to make a quick buck.
That coming from the kid listens to bands who don't sound good enouogh to flick nickles at.
__________________
"There are lies, then damn lies, and then there are statistics"
-Mark Twain
Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #225
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
eddie75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: On the highway to hell
Posts: 4,334
Bincount™: 1202
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
I can't find a single way in which Tool are more "valuable" than Wolfmother. Both are just hollow rock bands looking to make a quick buck.
That coming from the kid listens to bands who don't sound good enouogh to flick nickles at.
__________________
"There are lies, then damn lies, and then there are statistics"
-Mark Twain
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Inbleach's Avatar Inbleach
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Reply With Quote

Tool doesn't need the mainstream republic making them popular with awards, then we'll have to deal with all the mindless zombies who consider Tool part of the new mainstream music scene along with all those shit emo bands (and Wolfmother), people who see no depth in music and listen to what they're fed on the radio or MTV....Tool doesn't need that kind of publicity, even though i'm sure if they had it Maynard would be 10x more of an asshole.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #226
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Inbleach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 34
Bincount™: 0
Re: And the grammy goes to...

Tool doesn't need the mainstream republic making them popular with awards, then we'll have to deal with all the mindless zombies who consider Tool part of the new mainstream music scene along with all those shit emo bands (and Wolfmother), people who see no depth in music and listen to what they're fed on the radio or MTV....Tool doesn't need that kind of publicity, even though i'm sure if they had it Maynard would be 10x more of an asshole.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75 View Post
That coming from the kid listens to bands who don't sound good enouogh to flick nickles at.
I'm trying to have a mature discussion here. It doesn't matter what bands I listen to. The only reason you're resorting to that is because you're in denial about Tool being a terrible band and not having any more value than Wolfmother.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #227
Drug Crazed Grindfreak
 
Misanthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Blastbeats: ∞
Posts: 9,266
Bincount™: 5716
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75 View Post
That coming from the kid listens to bands who don't sound good enouogh to flick nickles at.
I'm trying to have a mature discussion here. It doesn't matter what bands I listen to. The only reason you're resorting to that is because you're in denial about Tool being a terrible band and not having any more value than Wolfmother.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
halcyon1234's Avatar halcyon1234
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Reply With Quote

It does suck that Tool didn't win-- but at least it didn't go to Buckcherry! Every other artist on the list would have been fine-- in comparison. System of a Down? Sure! Nice hard rock. NiN? I despise the new stuff (so contrived and poppy)-- but sure, I could have lived with them winning. Wolfmother? Not a problem. The song's nice and rocky, and I don't mind hearing it. But if some generic, 80's wannabe one hit non-wonder took the best hard rock grammy-- that's a nukable offense.

Bleh.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #228
Level 2 - Poster
 
halcyon1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6
Bincount™: 0
Re: And the grammy goes to...

It does suck that Tool didn't win-- but at least it didn't go to Buckcherry! Every other artist on the list would have been fine-- in comparison. System of a Down? Sure! Nice hard rock. NiN? I despise the new stuff (so contrived and poppy)-- but sure, I could have lived with them winning. Wolfmother? Not a problem. The song's nice and rocky, and I don't mind hearing it. But if some generic, 80's wannabe one hit non-wonder took the best hard rock grammy-- that's a nukable offense.

Bleh.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba99 View Post
At least I can console myself in the fact that Tool has never and will never need accolades from the mainstream in order to justify their music.
Yes. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba99
Oh, and seeing as this is my first post, hello to everyone out there in Tool land!
Hello to you as well!!!

Hey Tool should not win Grammys more often - we get nice new people AND we all agree on something!

Last edited by HelenA; 02-12-2007 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: 'cos I suck!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #229
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
HelenA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,724
Bincount™: 1989
Re: Tool Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (WON Best Recording Package)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba99 View Post
At least I can console myself in the fact that Tool has never and will never need accolades from the mainstream in order to justify their music.
Yes. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba99
Oh, and seeing as this is my first post, hello to everyone out there in Tool land!
Hello to you as well!!!

Hey Tool should not win Grammys more often - we get nice new people AND we all agree on something!

Last edited by HelenA; 02-12-2007 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: 'cos I suck!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Reply With Quote

I agree on you.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #230
Banned.
 
DON IOTAE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 7,004
Bincount™: 13310
Re: Tool Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (WON Best Recording Package)

I agree on you.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
I agree on you.
Mmm - yummy rose - back!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #231
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
HelenA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,724
Bincount™: 1989
Re: Tool Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (WON Best Recording Package)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
I agree on you.
Mmm - yummy rose - back!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SpiralReflection
02-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Reply With Quote

The new Slayer album sucks, Wolfmother is dog feces, and the Grammys always nominate bands that can or once were played on Top 40 radio for Album of the Year. Yes, they're a fucking joke.

Sure it would be nice if Tool won, but that award isn't even televised. When they branch out of pop/classic rock/country crossover/and mainstream hip-hop (how come only Eminem and Kanye West get the big nominations?) for the categories of Album/Song/Record of the Year, I'll take them seriously. It was good to see RHCP nominated, but they are only probably the most commercial alternative rock band out there.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #232
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 204
Bincount™: 4
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

The new Slayer album sucks, Wolfmother is dog feces, and the Grammys always nominate bands that can or once were played on Top 40 radio for Album of the Year. Yes, they're a fucking joke.

Sure it would be nice if Tool won, but that award isn't even televised. When they branch out of pop/classic rock/country crossover/and mainstream hip-hop (how come only Eminem and Kanye West get the big nominations?) for the categories of Album/Song/Record of the Year, I'll take them seriously. It was good to see RHCP nominated, but they are only probably the most commercial alternative rock band out there.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
02-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Reply With Quote

THAT'S RIGHT.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #233
Banned.
 
DON IOTAE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 7,004
Bincount™: 13310
Re: Tool Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (WON Best Recording Package)

THAT'S RIGHT.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
02-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Reply With Quote

RHCP is not alternative.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #234
Drug Crazed Grindfreak
 
Misanthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Blastbeats: ∞
Posts: 9,266
Bincount™: 5716
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

RHCP is not alternative.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
The Scottish Tool's Avatar The Scottish Tool
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Reply With Quote

Mope, do you like early Napalm Death??
__________________
'Sick, from the mirror.' -- '.rorrim eht morf kciS'
Old 02-12-2007, 11:28 PM   #235
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
The Scottish Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ædinburgh, Scotland MissedLecturesCount™: ∞ YearsOnEarthCount™: 18
Posts: 692
Bincount™: 798
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Mope, do you like early Napalm Death??
__________________
'Sick, from the mirror.' -- '.rorrim eht morf kciS'
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
02-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Reply With Quote

Duh.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #236
Drug Crazed Grindfreak
 
Misanthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Blastbeats: ∞
Posts: 9,266
Bincount™: 5716
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Duh.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
The Scottish Tool's Avatar The Scottish Tool
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Reply With Quote

Cool. I like their first two albums.

Actually that reminds me...one of their vocalists (I *think* Barney Greenway) did a cover of Damage, Inc. with Dream Theater minus LaBrie...from what I can remember, the performance was pretty damn good.
__________________
'Sick, from the mirror.' -- '.rorrim eht morf kciS'
Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #237
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
The Scottish Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ædinburgh, Scotland MissedLecturesCount™: ∞ YearsOnEarthCount™: 18
Posts: 692
Bincount™: 798
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Cool. I like their first two albums.

Actually that reminds me...one of their vocalists (I *think* Barney Greenway) did a cover of Damage, Inc. with Dream Theater minus LaBrie...from what I can remember, the performance was pretty damn good.
__________________
'Sick, from the mirror.' -- '.rorrim eht morf kciS'
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Seven Deep's Avatar Seven Deep
02-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Reply With Quote

It's just a stupid empty award people.....fucking christ.

the only Grammys that have a shred of integrity are the ones for technical and scientific achievements.

They gave it Wolfmother because they will sell more records than Tool in the next 5 years, and will spawn a bunch of other bands that will sell more records than Wolfmother.
Are you upset because you wanted Tool to go up and say four cryptic words into the mic, and Wolfmother robbed that from you? They thanked Satan already...move on.

Who cares? It's like crying because your second cousin didn't get elected second Duke to the Homecoming..

Half of you would start calling Tool sell-outs if they won more Grammys.

EDIT: fuck I hate this keyboard.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 02-13-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #238
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser
 
Seven Deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,557
Bincount™: 2924
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

It's just a stupid empty award people.....fucking christ.

the only Grammys that have a shred of integrity are the ones for technical and scientific achievements.

They gave it Wolfmother because they will sell more records than Tool in the next 5 years, and will spawn a bunch of other bands that will sell more records than Wolfmother.
Are you upset because you wanted Tool to go up and say four cryptic words into the mic, and Wolfmother robbed that from you? They thanked Satan already...move on.

Who cares? It's like crying because your second cousin didn't get elected second Duke to the Homecoming..

Half of you would start calling Tool sell-outs if they won more Grammys.

EDIT: fuck I hate this keyboard.

Last edited by Seven Deep; 02-13-2007 at 12:08 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mysterious_miss's Avatar mysterious_miss
02-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinNY View Post
how can you say anything bad about Christina Aguilera? what an amazing voice. maybe she tries too hard, but still, I think shes awesome for what that is- pop music.
I have to agree with this. She does have an absolutely incredible voice.

I think that Tool winning a Grammy is no big deal. It's great that they're being acknowledged, but I don't think we should read too much into it. Tool an amazing band, and if other people can't understand that, or don't feel the same way, fine. Let them have their opinions, it doesn't change the fact that Tool are incredible. If you enjoy their music, good. Hopefully them winning a Grammy will let other people enjoy their music.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #239
Level 4 - Thinker
 
mysterious_miss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Batemans Bay Hole
Posts: 31
Bincount™: 6
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinNY View Post
how can you say anything bad about Christina Aguilera? what an amazing voice. maybe she tries too hard, but still, I think shes awesome for what that is- pop music.
I have to agree with this. She does have an absolutely incredible voice.

I think that Tool winning a Grammy is no big deal. It's great that they're being acknowledged, but I don't think we should read too much into it. Tool an amazing band, and if other people can't understand that, or don't feel the same way, fine. Let them have their opinions, it doesn't change the fact that Tool are incredible. If you enjoy their music, good. Hopefully them winning a Grammy will let other people enjoy their music.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
02-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Deep View Post
Are you upset because you wanted Tool to go up and say four cryptic words into the mic, and Wolfmother robbed that from you? They thanked Satan already...move on.
No. I would like Tool to be acknowledged as amazing. And I thought this was a possible opportunity. It isn't about me - it is about THEM. Just occasionally - I think it would be cool to hear that the world 'gets it' but I guess they don't.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #240
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
HelenA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,724
Bincount™: 1989
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Deep View Post
Are you upset because you wanted Tool to go up and say four cryptic words into the mic, and Wolfmother robbed that from you? They thanked Satan already...move on.
No. I would like Tool to be acknowledged as amazing. And I thought this was a possible opportunity. It isn't about me - it is about THEM. Just occasionally - I think it would be cool to hear that the world 'gets it' but I guess they don't.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply

Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.