Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
blackandwhite's Avatar blackandwhite
05-18-2006, 07:14 AM

I was talking to a friend last night, and he told me something about this song being about the apocalypse, 10k days in fire a water. Is there truth to this?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7
Apocalypse?

I was talking to a friend last night, and he told me something about this song being about the apocalypse, 10k days in fire a water. Is there truth to this?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
05-18-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite
proabably not, i think maynard made a metaphor, "Christ descended into hell, and ascended into Heaven"
He's saying that his mom is "in the fire," and it's "time for her to go home".
Old 05-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Re: Apocalypse?

Quote:
proabably not, i think maynard made a metaphor, "Christ descended into hell, and ascended into Heaven"
He's saying that his mom is "in the fire," and it's "time for her to go home".
YuShtink
05-18-2006, 09:11 AM

I think by "10,000 days in the fire is long enough" he is talking about his mother suffering for 27 years from her stroke before she finally died and was "pulled out of the fire" so to speak....
Old 05-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

I think by "10,000 days in the fire is long enough" he is talking about his mother suffering for 27 years from her stroke before she finally died and was "pulled out of the fire" so to speak....
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
05-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Apocalypse is derived from a Greek word meaning "revelation" or an "unveiling." In those terms I would say that this song is apocalyptic... however I don't think it's about THE apocalypse that you are refering to (The Christian belief).
Old 05-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Apocalypse is derived from a Greek word meaning "revelation" or an "unveiling." In those terms I would say that this song is apocalyptic... however I don't think it's about THE apocalypse that you are refering to (The Christian belief).
blackandwhite's Avatar blackandwhite
05-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Yeah, i didn't think it was about the apoccalypse, but I just wanted to make sure.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yeah, i didn't think it was about the apoccalypse, but I just wanted to make sure.
turok2step
05-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Well dont be too sure. I think with Tool the songs are about whatever you want them to be. Adam once said that alot of Christians were telling him they really appreciated the message in Eulogy. Adam couldnt make much sense of it, but he sorta just said "to each his own" and went on with his life. If you get something positive out of it who cares whether thats what its really about.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Well dont be too sure. I think with Tool the songs are about whatever you want them to be. Adam once said that alot of Christians were telling him they really appreciated the message in Eulogy. Adam couldnt make much sense of it, but he sorta just said "to each his own" and went on with his life. If you get something positive out of it who cares whether thats what its really about.
pasartanis's Avatar pasartanis
05-18-2006, 07:10 PM

I dont think it's about the apocalypse. I thinks maynard wanted to talk about all those hypocrite people involved in christianity and religion in general. Also telling that his mother had so much faith in religion that the only thing she deserves, is that she reaches heaven succesfully and get what she always hoped for. Independentily if maynard believes in all those things or not.
I think this song is too personal to maynard. Just about how he admired his mother so much.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

I dont think it's about the apocalypse. I thinks maynard wanted to talk about all those hypocrite people involved in christianity and religion in general. Also telling that his mother had so much faith in religion that the only thing she deserves, is that she reaches heaven succesfully and get what she always hoped for. Independentily if maynard believes in all those things or not.
I think this song is too personal to maynard. Just about how he admired his mother so much.
deppo's Avatar deppo
05-18-2006, 08:29 PM

I think we all agree that its about the trials and tribulations experienced by his mother on one level. However I also kinda think that there might be something else that no one has really nailed yet, it seems to me somewhat unliikely that tool would use the title of this song as the title for the whole album without there being some other reference on a deeper, perhaps less specifically personal level. Whilst I am a little skeptical about the apocalypse theory i did get the same sort of feeling that mayb this song, and the title of the record, had a more global relevance also.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

I think we all agree that its about the trials and tribulations experienced by his mother on one level. However I also kinda think that there might be something else that no one has really nailed yet, it seems to me somewhat unliikely that tool would use the title of this song as the title for the whole album without there being some other reference on a deeper, perhaps less specifically personal level. Whilst I am a little skeptical about the apocalypse theory i did get the same sort of feeling that mayb this song, and the title of the record, had a more global relevance also.
05-18-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I think its about his mom. 10,000 days in the fire, or 10,000 days of hell on earth, etc.

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....
Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I think its about his mom. 10,000 days in the fire, or 10,000 days of hell on earth, etc.

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....
innerspacegirl's Avatar innerspacegirl
05-18-2006, 11:17 PM

i think 'right in two' is the official apocalypse song on 10KD.

if it happened by track 4, i mean, come on, how much farther can you take it??
Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
hedonist extraordinaire

Bincount™: 2771

i think 'right in two' is the official apocalypse song on 10KD.

if it happened by track 4, i mean, come on, how much farther can you take it??
05-19-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok2step
Adam once said that alot of Christians were telling him they really appreciated the message in Eulogy. Adam couldnt make much sense of it, but he sorta just said "to each his own" and went on with his life. If you get something positive out of it who cares whether thats what its really about.
I guess, but that just cracks me up that a Christian got some sort of positive religious meaning out of Eulogy. Then again, that's a typical Christian, they only hear what they want to hear. "Come down. Get off your fuckin cross. We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr." Yep, that's very Christian. lol
Old 05-19-2006, 05:09 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Adam once said that alot of Christians were telling him they really appreciated the message in Eulogy. Adam couldnt make much sense of it, but he sorta just said "to each his own" and went on with his life. If you get something positive out of it who cares whether thats what its really about.
I guess, but that just cracks me up that a Christian got some sort of positive religious meaning out of Eulogy. Then again, that's a typical Christian, they only hear what they want to hear. "Come down. Get off your fuckin cross. We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr." Yep, that's very Christian. lol
dysolution
05-19-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
I always figured that Eulogy was directed toward self-aggrandizing martyrs in general, such as "David Koresh," the leader of the Brand Davidian group in Waco, TX. In that respect, I could see where a Christian would appreciate would-be martyrs being told that they're just being asses and that their time will pass, and we'll all be ready to nail up the next fool who behaves just like they did.

I'm starting from the assumption that it's not about Jesus of Nazareth, however. It seems to me that Maynard has a great deal of reverence for the commonality among many religious traditions -- unconditional love -- and that's why I don't think he's trashing Jesus, someone who apparently exhibited it, in this song. I think he's trashing those that would imitate the theatrics of martyrdom without the foundation of love from which one can actually lead others spiritually.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
I always figured that Eulogy was directed toward self-aggrandizing martyrs in general, such as "David Koresh," the leader of the Brand Davidian group in Waco, TX. In that respect, I could see where a Christian would appreciate would-be martyrs being told that they're just being asses and that their time will pass, and we'll all be ready to nail up the next fool who behaves just like they did.

I'm starting from the assumption that it's not about Jesus of Nazareth, however. It seems to me that Maynard has a great deal of reverence for the commonality among many religious traditions -- unconditional love -- and that's why I don't think he's trashing Jesus, someone who apparently exhibited it, in this song. I think he's trashing those that would imitate the theatrics of martyrdom without the foundation of love from which one can actually lead others spiritually.
05-19-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysolution
Good point. It has been mentioned that this song is specifically about L. Ron Hubbard, though I think you are correct that it can apply to many people such as David Koresh and the like.

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't saying he's trashing Jesus, I don't think that's the case at all. At a second look, perhaps the Christian that thanked Adam saw this as an attack on anyone that is trying to be a martyr like Jesus because Jesus is, to them, the only true martyr. Though I don't believe that was Maynards point in the lyrics.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Good point. It has been mentioned that this song is specifically about L. Ron Hubbard, though I think you are correct that it can apply to many people such as David Koresh and the like.

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't saying he's trashing Jesus, I don't think that's the case at all. At a second look, perhaps the Christian that thanked Adam saw this as an attack on anyone that is trying to be a martyr like Jesus because Jesus is, to them, the only true martyr. Though I don't believe that was Maynards point in the lyrics.
djqwerty13
05-19-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Those christians must've never read the lyrics... lmao...

silly little sheep...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Those christians must've never read the lyrics... lmao...

silly little sheep...
djqwerty13
05-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deppo

I think it would make perfect sense for this album to be named after a song about Maynard's mother. Especially considering how often in their music the battle between the faithful, and the analytical arises. His mother was probably a great muse for his writing, considering that the are on opposite sides of the spectrum.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

I think it would make perfect sense for this album to be named after a song about Maynard's mother. Especially considering how often in their music the battle between the faithful, and the analytical arises. His mother was probably a great muse for his writing, considering that the are on opposite sides of the spectrum.
paralyzed_vampire's Avatar paralyzed_vampire
05-20-2006, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Yea, I think there's something more too. I just haven't figured it out yet...
Old 05-20-2006, 04:34 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Yea, I think there's something more too. I just haven't figured it out yet...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply